• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | College Basketball

    2012 Kempom System

    «First Previous 545556 ... 777879 Next Last»
    Dawgmashers
    ryno23
    tiedup2night
    TxPride
    bamasluggers
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 495609
    Posts: 1969
    «First Previous 545556 ... 777879 Next Last»
     
    Dawgmashers
    Dawgmashers
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2012
    Posts: 221
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 9:01 AM ET #1326

    so. Utah 
    Reply
    so. Utah 
     
    ryno23
    ryno23
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 3020
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 9:06 AM ET #1327

    Quote Originally Posted by Leapfrog:



    Sorry, I think you misinterpreted me. I didn't say 4-3-1 was bad. I meant it started out quite rough (3 losses and a push and a win in first 5 games yesterday). Any loss in the last 3 would have put us at a loss for the day. But it won out from there, it won out which is awesome!

    I wasn't bashing the system at all...hence why I'm playing it.

    hey leap..all good here..i don't get too bent out of shape on this forum. I look at it as I play what I play and I post this 'pre'  system and system every year. I was just saying you play these teams you have to hold your breath a little ya know? but in the end,  system was set up because linesmakers might be giving too much value to home team. our job is to find the winners!

    gl  ryno   

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Leapfrog:



    Sorry, I think you misinterpreted me. I didn't say 4-3-1 was bad. I meant it started out quite rough (3 losses and a push and a win in first 5 games yesterday). Any loss in the last 3 would have put us at a loss for the day. But it won out from there, it won out which is awesome!

    I wasn't bashing the system at all...hence why I'm playing it.

    hey leap..all good here..i don't get too bent out of shape on this forum. I look at it as I play what I play and I post this 'pre'  system and system every year. I was just saying you play these teams you have to hold your breath a little ya know? but in the end,  system was set up because linesmakers might be giving too much value to home team. our job is to find the winners!

    gl  ryno   

     
    ryno23
    ryno23
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 3020
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 9:11 AM ET #1328

    Quote Originally Posted by King Creole42:

    how did the 1st halves do....had to work yd, and didn't get a chance to see the 1st half lines....thanks

     I think first halves we 4-4...so far roughly 50%    I think ill just play full game on large cards. im not comfortable  using up my bankroll for 50% give or take.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by King Creole42:

    how did the 1st halves do....had to work yd, and didn't get a chance to see the 1st half lines....thanks

     I think first halves we 4-4...so far roughly 50%    I think ill just play full game on large cards. im not comfortable  using up my bankroll for 50% give or take.

     
    tiedup2night
    tiedup2night
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2006
    Posts: 3273
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 9:35 AM ET #1329

    im new to this system-- dont drake and charlotte qualify today?
    Reply
    im new to this system-- dont drake and charlotte qualify today?
     
    TxPride
    TxPride
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2013
    Posts: 548
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 10:18 AM ET #1330

    Quote Originally Posted by tiedup2night:

    im new to this system-- dont drake and charlotte qualify today?

    No plays today

    Post #1241 explains the parameters of the system 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by tiedup2night:

    im new to this system-- dont drake and charlotte qualify today?

    No plays today

    Post #1241 explains the parameters of the system 
     
    tiedup2night
    tiedup2night
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2006
    Posts: 3273
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 10:18 AM ET #1331

    thanks
    Reply
    thanks
     
    ryno23
    ryno23
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 3020
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 10:58 AM ET #1332

    Quote Originally Posted by TxPride:


    No plays today

    Post #1241 explains the parameters of the system 
    thanks txpride.......still amazing they don't look and read before posting...  :)  gl  see ya tomorrow    ryno
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPride:


    No plays today

    Post #1241 explains the parameters of the system 
    thanks txpride.......still amazing they don't look and read before posting...  :)  gl  see ya tomorrow    ryno
     
    bamasluggers
    bamasluggers
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2014
    Posts: 20
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 11:41 AM ET #1333

    I have read #1241 and I also thought both Drake and Charlotte would be plays today.  Charlotte is #152 and is +13.5 while Drake is 187 and is +9.5.  Help to understand why neither of these are plays according to post 1241.  THANKS!

    Reply

    I have read #1241 and I also thought both Drake and Charlotte would be plays today.  Charlotte is #152 and is +13.5 while Drake is 187 and is +9.5.  Help to understand why neither of these are plays according to post 1241.  THANKS!

     
    Vansmaack
    Vansmaack
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2010
    Posts: 120
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 11:48 AM ET #1334

    Quote Originally Posted by bamasluggers:

    I have read #1241 and I also thought both Drake and Charlotte would be plays today.  Charlotte is #152 and is +13.5 while Drake is 187 and is +9.5.  Help to understand why neither of these are plays according to post 1241.  THANKS!


    This system fades teams outside the Kenpom top 140 LAYING points.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by bamasluggers:

    I have read #1241 and I also thought both Drake and Charlotte would be plays today.  Charlotte is #152 and is +13.5 while Drake is 187 and is +9.5.  Help to understand why neither of these are plays according to post 1241.  THANKS!


    This system fades teams outside the Kenpom top 140 LAYING points.  
     
    salsantorre
    salsantorre
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 85
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 11:56 AM ET #1335

    Quote Originally Posted by bamasluggers:

    I have read #1241 and I also thought both Drake and Charlotte would be plays today.  Charlotte is #152 and is +13.5 while Drake is 187 and is +9.5.  Help to understand why neither of these are plays according to post 1241.  THANKS!


    How the darn can you read that and come away with those? You need to go back to the fifth grade.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by bamasluggers:

    I have read #1241 and I also thought both Drake and Charlotte would be plays today.  Charlotte is #152 and is +13.5 while Drake is 187 and is +9.5.  Help to understand why neither of these are plays according to post 1241.  THANKS!


    How the darn can you read that and come away with those? You need to go back to the fifth grade.
     
    Cwadda
    Cwadda
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2013
    Posts: 432
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 12:14 PM ET #1336

    There will be plays this Thursday, when the system starts for real. 

    Let's go. 
    Reply
    There will be plays this Thursday, when the system starts for real. 

    Let's go. 
     
    bamasluggers
    bamasluggers
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2014
    Posts: 20
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 12:17 PM ET #1337

    Sorry, not all of you are as smart as you, but we will try to live up to your expectations. Did not know you were the greatest thing to ever live in your own mind. 

     

    Quote Originally Posted by salsantorre:


    How the darn can you read that and come away with those? You need to go back to the fifth grade.

     

    Reply

    Sorry, not all of you are as smart as you, but we will try to live up to your expectations. Did not know you were the greatest thing to ever live in your own mind. 

     

    Quote Originally Posted by salsantorre:


    How the darn can you read that and come away with those? You need to go back to the fifth grade.

     

     
    bamasluggers
    bamasluggers
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2014
    Posts: 20
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 12:17 PM ET #1338

    Thank you, not it makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vansmaack:


    This system fades teams outside the Kenpom top 140 LAYING points.  
    Reply

    Thank you, not it makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vansmaack:


    This system fades teams outside the Kenpom top 140 LAYING points.  
     
    cardinals19
    cardinals19
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2008
    Posts: 416
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 8:20 PM ET #1339

    Tomorrow's plays (as of now)

    Southern Utah +11.5 vs. Sacramento State (#276) 
    Furman +13 vs. Western Carolina (#234)

    These appear to be pretty strong considering we only need 7.5 or more to fade teams when they are rated below 200, and we're getting DD.

    Fairfield +8 vs. Siena (#206) 

    This one is really close because Siena is barely over the 200 plateau, and because it's only .5 away from the benchmark of 7.5... it does qualify as a play though.
    Reply
    Tomorrow's plays (as of now)

    Southern Utah +11.5 vs. Sacramento State (#276) 
    Furman +13 vs. Western Carolina (#234)

    These appear to be pretty strong considering we only need 7.5 or more to fade teams when they are rated below 200, and we're getting DD.

    Fairfield +8 vs. Siena (#206) 

    This one is really close because Siena is barely over the 200 plateau, and because it's only .5 away from the benchmark of 7.5... it does qualify as a play though.
     
    cjm2008
    cjm2008
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2012
    Posts: 22012
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2014 - 9:57 PM ET #1340

    Think I like the Furman game the best 
    Reply
    Think I like the Furman game the best 
     
    BLAK_MAMBA
    BLAK_MAMBA
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 1117
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2014 - 3:29 AM ET #1341

    This is a system to watch, thanks kine and ryno.
    Reply
    This is a system to watch, thanks kine and ryno.
     
    ryno23
    ryno23
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 3020
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2014 - 8:00 AM ET #1342

    updated 'pre' system record:   9-5-1

    ok guys...3 plays: and try and read post #1241 before the obvious questions here!

    Furman   +13

    southern Utah  +11.5

    Fairfield  +8

    gl today   ryno

    Reply

    updated 'pre' system record:   9-5-1

    ok guys...3 plays: and try and read post #1241 before the obvious questions here!

    Furman   +13

    southern Utah  +11.5

    Fairfield  +8

    gl today   ryno

     
    mikeshots13
    mikeshots13
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2014
    Posts: 18
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2014 - 9:44 AM ET #1343

    Saw the same three games as you guys before checking the thread. GL today everyone. Southern Utah looks real strong here...they do a great job covering when the line is +10
    Reply
    Saw the same three games as you guys before checking the thread. GL today everyone. Southern Utah looks real strong here...they do a great job covering when the line is +10
     
    Leapfrog
    Leapfrog
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2014
    Posts: 325
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2014 - 11:43 AM ET #1344

    Hofstra +6.5 is close for the parameters.

    James Madison is 263 in kenpom.

    My models show JMU is a 2.4 to 4.5 point favorite. Oh, and I got my undergrad degree in mathematics from JMU, so they'll definitely lose 
    Reply
    Hofstra +6.5 is close for the parameters.

    James Madison is 263 in kenpom.

    My models show JMU is a 2.4 to 4.5 point favorite. Oh, and I got my undergrad degree in mathematics from JMU, so they'll definitely lose 
     
    divotdigger45
    divotdigger45
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2009
    Posts: 239
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2014 - 12:18 PM ET #1345

    ryno do you play the 1st half on days like today , when not many fit, and how do you figure when to play the ml, thanks for all your work
    Reply
    ryno do you play the 1st half on days like today , when not many fit, and how do you figure when to play the ml, thanks for all your work
     
    ryno23
    ryno23
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 3020
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2014 - 2:09 PM ET #1346

    Quote Originally Posted by divotdigger45:

    ryno do you play the 1st half on days like today , when not many fit, and how do you figure when to play the ml, thanks for all your work

    divot...I was playing them but after Saturday I might just go light on just the ones I like....as far as monley lines...when system starts Thursday ill throw 25 to 50 on ml   if they are true system fit.

     gl today!   ryno

     

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by divotdigger45:

    ryno do you play the 1st half on days like today , when not many fit, and how do you figure when to play the ml, thanks for all your work

    divot...I was playing them but after Saturday I might just go light on just the ones I like....as far as monley lines...when system starts Thursday ill throw 25 to 50 on ml   if they are true system fit.

     gl today!   ryno

     

     
    Imprezive97
    Imprezive97
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2008
    Posts: 2018
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2014 - 2:49 PM ET #1347

    Do you have any information on how this system plays out regarding KenPom's point difference vs. the spread?

    For example in the 3 games we have for today KenPom predicts the final results:

    Furman loses 76-64 (difference of 12 points vs. spread of 13)
    Southern Utah loses 70-56 (difference of 14 points vs. spread of 10.5)
    Fairfield loses 67-59 (difference of 8 points vs. spread of 8)

    As you can see the Furman and Fairfield spreads are right around the KenPom numbers.  However, the Southern Utah game is 3.5 points from where we might expect it to be.  On the surface it appears that Southern Utah might not be as strong of a play as the other two.  However, the way I've been playing these differences, even in other games that don't fit the system, is to make a larger play on the team who is giving up those few extra points.  It's a counterintuitive play.  Perhaps I'm wrong with this and would like to know how you guys feel about it.  Here's what I mean.

    So for example, let's take the Southern Utah game.  Predicted 70-56.  14 point difference.  I would make a larger play on this game if the point spread is 10.5 like it is as opposed to say 17.5.  Some of you are probably thinking Imprezive's an idiot.  Why would he value getting just 10.5 MORE than getting 17.5 points?  And my reasoning is Vegas knows something or has somehow factored in SOMETHING to make the spread at 10.5 as opposed to the 14 that it should be or the 17.5 that it could be. 

    I've noticed that if you compare the KenPom game predictions to the actual spreads that that the good majority are almost spot on.  Furman and Fairfield are great examples of that.  And the good majority of games are like that too.  KenPom usually comes very close to the spread.  So what would posses Vegas to set a line 3 points one way or the other?  This is what I don't understand.  Not just why they do it, but also what is the correct play?  And I'd like to hear your thoughts. 

    I'll leave you with one more example from today's games that fits what I'm talking about.  It is NOT a system play, but just want to throw it out there to see who you would pick and why you think the line is the way it is.  Miami @ Florida State -5.  Ken Pom predicts a score of 62-54.  That's predicting an 8 point FSU win, but yet the line is at 5.  Here's where you can feel free to bash me for being an idiot or saying yeah that's spot on.  In this example if I had to bet, I'd take Miami +5.  And my angle is there has got to be some sort of mathematical reason or whatever that Vegas didn't set the line around 8.  They're not in the business of giving away money.  And you can't say it's about the big name of Miami or any of that because this example doesn't seem any different than the Southern Utah game today.  And that one is particularly intriguing. 

    So Las Vegas, you mean to tell me that about the worst team in all of Division 1 ball according to Ken Pom, Southern Utah, is going to get just 10.5 points as opposed to the 14 they should be getting!?!?  Does this not scream for suckers to bet Sacramento State?  Does this not mean that us, the savvy betters (term loosely as I've been sucking hard), should bet on Southern Utah because we know Vegas doesn't just hand out these gifts?  

    What is your angle on this guys?  Am I over thinking this or am I onto something?  CJM says he likes Furman the best today and I'll be on them and the other 2 because of this system.  But to me, I like Southern Utah the best. 

    Thanks for your help guys and thank you for sharing this system with us. 

    Reply
    Do you have any information on how this system plays out regarding KenPom's point difference vs. the spread?

    For example in the 3 games we have for today KenPom predicts the final results:

    Furman loses 76-64 (difference of 12 points vs. spread of 13)
    Southern Utah loses 70-56 (difference of 14 points vs. spread of 10.5)
    Fairfield loses 67-59 (difference of 8 points vs. spread of 8)

    As you can see the Furman and Fairfield spreads are right around the KenPom numbers.  However, the Southern Utah game is 3.5 points from where we might expect it to be.  On the surface it appears that Southern Utah might not be as strong of a play as the other two.  However, the way I've been playing these differences, even in other games that don't fit the system, is to make a larger play on the team who is giving up those few extra points.  It's a counterintuitive play.  Perhaps I'm wrong with this and would like to know how you guys feel about it.  Here's what I mean.

    So for example, let's take the Southern Utah game.  Predicted 70-56.  14 point difference.  I would make a larger play on this game if the point spread is 10.5 like it is as opposed to say 17.5.  Some of you are probably thinking Imprezive's an idiot.  Why would he value getting just 10.5 MORE than getting 17.5 points?  And my reasoning is Vegas knows something or has somehow factored in SOMETHING to make the spread at 10.5 as opposed to the 14 that it should be or the 17.5 that it could be. 

    I've noticed that if you compare the KenPom game predictions to the actual spreads that that the good majority are almost spot on.  Furman and Fairfield are great examples of that.  And the good majority of games are like that too.  KenPom usually comes very close to the spread.  So what would posses Vegas to set a line 3 points one way or the other?  This is what I don't understand.  Not just why they do it, but also what is the correct play?  And I'd like to hear your thoughts. 

    I'll leave you with one more example from today's games that fits what I'm talking about.  It is NOT a system play, but just want to throw it out there to see who you would pick and why you think the line is the way it is.  Miami @ Florida State -5.  Ken Pom predicts a score of 62-54.  That's predicting an 8 point FSU win, but yet the line is at 5.  Here's where you can feel free to bash me for being an idiot or saying yeah that's spot on.  In this example if I had to bet, I'd take Miami +5.  And my angle is there has got to be some sort of mathematical reason or whatever that Vegas didn't set the line around 8.  They're not in the business of giving away money.  And you can't say it's about the big name of Miami or any of that because this example doesn't seem any different than the Southern Utah game today.  And that one is particularly intriguing. 

    So Las Vegas, you mean to tell me that about the worst team in all of Division 1 ball according to Ken Pom, Southern Utah, is going to get just 10.5 points as opposed to the 14 they should be getting!?!?  Does this not scream for suckers to bet Sacramento State?  Does this not mean that us, the savvy betters (term loosely as I've been sucking hard), should bet on Southern Utah because we know Vegas doesn't just hand out these gifts?  

    What is your angle on this guys?  Am I over thinking this or am I onto something?  CJM says he likes Furman the best today and I'll be on them and the other 2 because of this system.  But to me, I like Southern Utah the best. 

    Thanks for your help guys and thank you for sharing this system with us. 

     
    uclalumnus
    uclalumnus
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 3215
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2014 - 3:26 PM ET #1348

    Imprezive - I think that there is some validity to your comments but IMHO, Miami has its 5-3 road record factored in.  As for SUU, not sure.  Sac even blew them out by 30 on the road.  Maybe Vegas is on to the system!  Ha.


    Reply
    Imprezive - I think that there is some validity to your comments but IMHO, Miami has its 5-3 road record factored in.  As for SUU, not sure.  Sac even blew them out by 30 on the road.  Maybe Vegas is on to the system!  Ha.


     
    cutebrute
    cutebrute
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2002
    Posts: 4128
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2014 - 4:37 PM ET #1349

    Do you guys think it is better to wait for better lines or bet them right away. 
    Reply
    Do you guys think it is better to wait for better lines or bet them right away. 
     
     
    ryno23
    ryno23
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 3020
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2014 - 4:46 PM ET #1350

    Quote Originally Posted by cutebrute:

    Do you guys think it is better to wait for better lines or bet them right away. 

     its a crapshoot as far as ive seen over the years on grabing lines early or late.  a big problem we had with this system(in some peoples eyes)  is that the system becomes popular and 'cat is out of the bag' so to speak and lines start moving against us. well, I tend to try and grab the opener... and take my lumps if it moves   to help me...last Friday cornell moved almost 2 pts from open  in our favor and i was wishing I waited...I  just went with it...and won....personally.. I don't try and overthink these and grab what I can  as we will never truly know which way line will move up to game time.....if you do...you need to take your talents to vegas! :)

    I will say that anytime I parlay these I buy a point every time. and for some reason it helps me  more than not.

    gl tonight..ryno

     

     

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by cutebrute:

    Do you guys think it is better to wait for better lines or bet them right away. 

     its a crapshoot as far as ive seen over the years on grabing lines early or late.  a big problem we had with this system(in some peoples eyes)  is that the system becomes popular and 'cat is out of the bag' so to speak and lines start moving against us. well, I tend to try and grab the opener... and take my lumps if it moves   to help me...last Friday cornell moved almost 2 pts from open  in our favor and i was wishing I waited...I  just went with it...and won....personally.. I don't try and overthink these and grab what I can  as we will never truly know which way line will move up to game time.....if you do...you need to take your talents to vegas! :)

    I will say that anytime I parlay these I buy a point every time. and for some reason it helps me  more than not.

    gl tonight..ryno

     

     

    All Forums | College Basketball
    «First Previous 545556 ... 777879 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,394
    • Friday 10/09/2026 478
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 270,676
    • PART DEUX 197
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,857
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 37,982
    • Week 6 Money 11,598
    • FRYDAY 5,251
    • Public Indicator Calculations 2026 20,111
    • ***Macwesties * Fri. October. 09, 2026 * NCAAF * Week #6 * College Football Plays*** 4,400

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.