Posted:
#151
Quote Originally Posted by si1ly:
One of the tests I do with my raw model outputs is I compare them to a game simulation that predicts the total amount of yards a team will get (using the offensive/defensive RPI method). This way, I can get a read on how much of the output is generated by pure advantages on offense or defense, and how much of it is dependent upon red zone conversion rates, defensive/special teams touchdowns, overall efficiency and other variables that tend to be more random and consequently less easier to mathematically predict.
When you perform this test on the Denver, Chicago and Houston games, you see that those three teams are not only expected to score more efficiency (i.e takes fewer yards to get a point), but they also are expected to gain more yards too.
When you perform this test on Tampa and Washington, you see that these games are pretty even in terms of offensive/defensive match-ups. Both teams will be able to move the ball with the same effectiveness on each other. So who wins? Well, the team that gets the lucky break (the red zone fumble, the punt return, the pick 6...whatever it may be). Or the team that simply produces more touchdowns than field goals. You can guesstimate these variables by looking at yards/point efficiency numbers, red zone conversion percentages, special teams return yards, fumble rates, interception rates... but you can never really predict these things.
I try and avoid games that lead down this second path. I don't want to have to guess right which team will have an easier time turning yards gained into points. If I'm investing in a team - especially a favorite - I want to know that they're not only expected to be more efficient at scoring, but that they're going to flat out gain their opponent too. This increases the margin of error significantly and helps avoid betting games that you don't have as much control over as you might think.
Thanks that is a really helpful insight for me.
I actually run a total passing and rushing RPI yards sheet each week for QB prop betting so i will start looking into those for my analysis now as well.
Appreciate the response, BOL this weekend
