• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 3
      NFL Week 3
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | MLB Betting Forum

    Mike Trout Strikeouts

    «First Previous 252627 ... 303132 Next Last»
    undermysac
    Raiders22
    Rush51
    bonfire69
    Gatorpaw
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 7110
    Posts: 798
    «First Previous 252627 ... 303132 Next Last»
     
    undermysac
    undermysac
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2014
    Posts: 52268
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 7:37 PM ET #601

    @TxRangers

    Maybe you could specify, in more detail, why Mike Trout is that bad at playing baseball?

    Fwiw, he has 2 hits today. 

    Reply

    @TxRangers

    Maybe you could specify, in more detail, why Mike Trout is that bad at playing baseball?

    Fwiw, he has 2 hits today. 

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34183
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 7:42 PM ET #602

    @TxRangers

    Those are his current averages   Very good ones  

     
    What were the odds tonight?

    Are you keeping a tally on this?

    Is it profitable or no?

    I am still curious if it is so good why the books allow it. 

    Also if this is profitable for strikeout guys, why not play others?

    Reply

    @TxRangers

    Those are his current averages   Very good ones  

     
    What were the odds tonight?

    Are you keeping a tally on this?

    Is it profitable or no?

    I am still curious if it is so good why the books allow it. 

    Also if this is profitable for strikeout guys, why not play others?

     
    undermysac
    undermysac
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2014
    Posts: 52268
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 7:56 PM ET #603

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22:

    @TxRangers Those are his current averages   Very good ones    What were the odds tonight? Are you keeping a tally on this? Is it profitable or no? I am still curious if it is so good why the books allow it.  Also if this is profitable for strikeout guys, why not play others?

    In the month of May, Aaron Judge is 10-1 on this same prop. I don't know the juice, it has to be higher than Trout's.

    In the month of May, Mike Trout is 9-1 on this prop.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22:

    @TxRangers Those are his current averages   Very good ones    What were the odds tonight? Are you keeping a tally on this? Is it profitable or no? I am still curious if it is so good why the books allow it.  Also if this is profitable for strikeout guys, why not play others?

    In the month of May, Aaron Judge is 10-1 on this same prop. I don't know the juice, it has to be higher than Trout's.

    In the month of May, Mike Trout is 9-1 on this prop.

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34183
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 8:00 PM ET #604

    @undermysac

     I get that streaks will be there.  But over a year it has to adjust out the variance and be close to B/E.  I am sure the books adjust it as the season goes on, etc.

     

    Reply

    @undermysac

     I get that streaks will be there.  But over a year it has to adjust out the variance and be close to B/E.  I am sure the books adjust it as the season goes on, etc.

     

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 8:42 PM ET #605

    @undermysac

     What an awfully small sample size.  Let's look at the data at the end of the year... 

     

     

    Reply

    @undermysac

     What an awfully small sample size.  Let's look at the data at the end of the year... 

     

     

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 8:51 PM ET #606

    [Quote: Originally Posted by Raiders22]@undermysac  I get that streaks will be there.  But over a year it has to adjust out the variance and be close to B/E.  I am sure the books adjust it as the season goes on, etc.[/Quote]

     

    Streaks ?   This has been going on for 3-4 years.. This is what is surprising to most folks.  You can do your own due diligence and see something happened around 2022, still in the apex of his career.   Go look at his career stats..    The batting average started to crater, and the SO on the upward trajectory.  

    I live here in SoCAL.  I have probably watched more Angel games over Trout's career than any of you .  Yeah, with with streaming services in recent memory, anybody can watch any game they want to now.  But I'm talking about over the last 20 years.  No one can capture this better than me.  

    I give a lot of credit to  TxRangers.    He seemingly identified a weakness in Trout much earlier than of you others posting in this thread..  

     

    Reply

    [Quote: Originally Posted by Raiders22]@undermysac  I get that streaks will be there.  But over a year it has to adjust out the variance and be close to B/E.  I am sure the books adjust it as the season goes on, etc.[/Quote]

     

    Streaks ?   This has been going on for 3-4 years.. This is what is surprising to most folks.  You can do your own due diligence and see something happened around 2022, still in the apex of his career.   Go look at his career stats..    The batting average started to crater, and the SO on the upward trajectory.  

    I live here in SoCAL.  I have probably watched more Angel games over Trout's career than any of you .  Yeah, with with streaming services in recent memory, anybody can watch any game they want to now.  But I'm talking about over the last 20 years.  No one can capture this better than me.  

    I give a lot of credit to  TxRangers.    He seemingly identified a weakness in Trout much earlier than of you others posting in this thread..  

     

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34183
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 9:17 PM ET #607

    @Rush51

    Streaks as in the 9-1 and 10-1 he mentioned.

    I get over a year there will be streaks like this.  

    But if the odds are adjusted properly a 2-3-4 game stretch of losing will take all of those wins away.

    The books have to have the odds adjusted to offset someone taking advantage of a power hitter nowadays striking out more than they used to.

    This is not a 'weakness' if over the course of a season and career it still produces far more runs than a better BA but far fewer strikeouts.  Or someone that makes contact but hits into more double plays, etc.

    It is not that I am saying Trout is still at his peak.  I also get that he is having a very good year.

    My concern is not whether Trout is an all-time great or not -- of course he is.

    My question now is whether this is a profitable play that someone can blindly play or not.

    I would like to see if this has been tracked somewhere.  Not just with Trout but with any power hitter.  Trout will be retiring at some point and obviously others will be an option for plays like this.

    I think the 'weakness' would be if the books have been sleeping on this.

    peace_5

    Reply

    @Rush51

    Streaks as in the 9-1 and 10-1 he mentioned.

    I get over a year there will be streaks like this.  

    But if the odds are adjusted properly a 2-3-4 game stretch of losing will take all of those wins away.

    The books have to have the odds adjusted to offset someone taking advantage of a power hitter nowadays striking out more than they used to.

    This is not a 'weakness' if over the course of a season and career it still produces far more runs than a better BA but far fewer strikeouts.  Or someone that makes contact but hits into more double plays, etc.

    It is not that I am saying Trout is still at his peak.  I also get that he is having a very good year.

    My concern is not whether Trout is an all-time great or not -- of course he is.

    My question now is whether this is a profitable play that someone can blindly play or not.

    I would like to see if this has been tracked somewhere.  Not just with Trout but with any power hitter.  Trout will be retiring at some point and obviously others will be an option for plays like this.

    I think the 'weakness' would be if the books have been sleeping on this.

    peace_5

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 9:19 PM ET #608

    Raiders, seriously, please pump the brakes on the use of AI in your responses...   ball backspin...  graph it out as Y=a*x(squared)... seriously, let's put it to bed. 

    I'll counter your use of AI with mine which says the  """ Actual Trajectory of a fastball, with backspin and high velocity, a 100 mph fastball may only drop about 7.7 inches from where the pitcher aimed it.""  

    So, it's practically negligible to the catcher's mitt.    You can do your own Pythagorean Theorem exercise as to the actual angle of decent based on this.   But it's small....    And Sure, the hitter has a naturally slight up-swing to be on the same plane as the ball in this premise.   But I'm talking about the "UP-SWING" from the hitter that he focuses on (i.e. The Launch Angle),   regardless of the trajectory of the baseball thrown.  I thought I spelled this out clearly earlier in my reply.  The hitter focuses on "HIS" launch angle", regardless of the pitch thrown. 

    In any event, I expect over the coming years that the excessive emphasis on "launch angle" will be put to bed... and a RE-FOCUS on learning to hit the baseball will take over..  

     

     

     

     

     

    Reply

    Raiders, seriously, please pump the brakes on the use of AI in your responses...   ball backspin...  graph it out as Y=a*x(squared)... seriously, let's put it to bed. 

    I'll counter your use of AI with mine which says the  """ Actual Trajectory of a fastball, with backspin and high velocity, a 100 mph fastball may only drop about 7.7 inches from where the pitcher aimed it.""  

    So, it's practically negligible to the catcher's mitt.    You can do your own Pythagorean Theorem exercise as to the actual angle of decent based on this.   But it's small....    And Sure, the hitter has a naturally slight up-swing to be on the same plane as the ball in this premise.   But I'm talking about the "UP-SWING" from the hitter that he focuses on (i.e. The Launch Angle),   regardless of the trajectory of the baseball thrown.  I thought I spelled this out clearly earlier in my reply.  The hitter focuses on "HIS" launch angle", regardless of the pitch thrown. 

    In any event, I expect over the coming years that the excessive emphasis on "launch angle" will be put to bed... and a RE-FOCUS on learning to hit the baseball will take over..  

     

     

     

     

     

     
    bonfire69
    bonfire69
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 11123
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 9:22 PM ET #609

    Guy won’t answer the question about current odds because he doesn’t know and isn’t betting .Some emotional ramblings of a guy with no life and pissed he didn’t get a reach around .He should be posting these plays proudly when challenged.This guy might be a Trout stalker if the truth be known.

    Reply

    Guy won’t answer the question about current odds because he doesn’t know and isn’t betting .Some emotional ramblings of a guy with no life and pissed he didn’t get a reach around .He should be posting these plays proudly when challenged.This guy might be a Trout stalker if the truth be known.

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34183
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 9:29 PM ET #610

    @Rush51

    I think this is fairly close:

    2011 22%

    2012 22%

    2013 19% 

    2014 26%

    2015 26% 

    2016 20%

    2017 18%

    2019 20%

    2020 23%

    2021 21%

    2022 28%

    2023 28%

    2024 27%

    2025 32%

    This looks like age and injury.  

    That is a standard deviation of around 4%.

    The standard deviation for a typical power hitter is around 3-5%.  A contact hitter would be less, at around 1-2%

    So, this is far less than a homer or nothing hitter of around 5-6%.

    The 7% rise or so since 2022 is a concern for sure.  But are the books adjusting for this or not.

    Reply

    @Rush51

    I think this is fairly close:

    2011 22%

    2012 22%

    2013 19% 

    2014 26%

    2015 26% 

    2016 20%

    2017 18%

    2019 20%

    2020 23%

    2021 21%

    2022 28%

    2023 28%

    2024 27%

    2025 32%

    This looks like age and injury.  

    That is a standard deviation of around 4%.

    The standard deviation for a typical power hitter is around 3-5%.  A contact hitter would be less, at around 1-2%

    So, this is far less than a homer or nothing hitter of around 5-6%.

    The 7% rise or so since 2022 is a concern for sure.  But are the books adjusting for this or not.

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34183
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 9:36 PM ET #611

    @Rush51

    Quote Originally Posted by Rush51:

    Raiders, seriously, please pump the brakes on the use of AI in your responses...   ball backspin...  graph it out as Y=a*x(squared)... seriously, let's put it to bed.  I'll counter your use of AI with mine which says the  """ Actual Trajectory of a fastball, with backspin and high velocity, a 100 mph fastball may only drop about 7.7 inches from where the pitcher aimed it.""   So, it's practically negligible to the catcher's mitt.    You can do your own Pythagorean Theorem exercise as to the actual angle of decent based on this.   But it's small....    And Sure, the hitter has a naturally slight up-swing to be on the same plane as the ball in this premise.   But I'm talking about the "UP-SWING" from the hitter that he focuses on (i.e. The Launch Angle),   regardless of the trajectory of the baseball thrown.  I thought I spelled this out clearly earlier in my reply.  The hitter focuses on "HIS" launch angle", regardless of the pitch thrown.  In any event, I expect over the coming years that the excessive emphasis on "launch angle" will be put to bed... and a RE-FOCUS on learning to hit the baseball will take over..

     I am sorry.  But the physics is what it is.  The science is what it is.  The proof in all of that is the expected runs produced.

    As I said before, I was not a big advocate for it when it started and do not really like it.

    It is very frustrating when guys strikeout or have a long fly out to end a rally.

    It is also frustrating that teams are not effective with small bal any more.  For example teams are not stealing bases any more.

    The reason is the same:  the analytics have proven it to be a negative EV option over the long run.

    I get that folks do not like it.  But for now, that is the way it is and how the teams are being built and how the players are being coached.

    But if you do not like AI explanation of it, there are many, many great articles online about it and the development over the years of it.

    That is why I said earlier MLB is the very best sport for analytics to work out to the positive -- because of the long season and the many situational opportunities that arise.

    peace_5

    Reply

    @Rush51

    Quote Originally Posted by Rush51:

    Raiders, seriously, please pump the brakes on the use of AI in your responses...   ball backspin...  graph it out as Y=a*x(squared)... seriously, let's put it to bed.  I'll counter your use of AI with mine which says the  """ Actual Trajectory of a fastball, with backspin and high velocity, a 100 mph fastball may only drop about 7.7 inches from where the pitcher aimed it.""   So, it's practically negligible to the catcher's mitt.    You can do your own Pythagorean Theorem exercise as to the actual angle of decent based on this.   But it's small....    And Sure, the hitter has a naturally slight up-swing to be on the same plane as the ball in this premise.   But I'm talking about the "UP-SWING" from the hitter that he focuses on (i.e. The Launch Angle),   regardless of the trajectory of the baseball thrown.  I thought I spelled this out clearly earlier in my reply.  The hitter focuses on "HIS" launch angle", regardless of the pitch thrown.  In any event, I expect over the coming years that the excessive emphasis on "launch angle" will be put to bed... and a RE-FOCUS on learning to hit the baseball will take over..

     I am sorry.  But the physics is what it is.  The science is what it is.  The proof in all of that is the expected runs produced.

    As I said before, I was not a big advocate for it when it started and do not really like it.

    It is very frustrating when guys strikeout or have a long fly out to end a rally.

    It is also frustrating that teams are not effective with small bal any more.  For example teams are not stealing bases any more.

    The reason is the same:  the analytics have proven it to be a negative EV option over the long run.

    I get that folks do not like it.  But for now, that is the way it is and how the teams are being built and how the players are being coached.

    But if you do not like AI explanation of it, there are many, many great articles online about it and the development over the years of it.

    That is why I said earlier MLB is the very best sport for analytics to work out to the positive -- because of the long season and the many situational opportunities that arise.

    peace_5

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34183
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 9:37 PM ET #612

    @bonfire69

     

    Quote Originally Posted by bonfire69:

    Guy won’t answer the question about current odds because he doesn’t know and isn’t betting .Some emotional ramblings of a guy with no life and pissed he didn’t get a reach around .He should be posting these plays proudly when challenged.This guy might be a Trout stalker if the truth be known.

    I give benefit of the doubt because I honestly do not know.

    I also would be amazed if it really were 'free' money, as it were.

    peace_5

    Reply

    @bonfire69

     

    Quote Originally Posted by bonfire69:

    Guy won’t answer the question about current odds because he doesn’t know and isn’t betting .Some emotional ramblings of a guy with no life and pissed he didn’t get a reach around .He should be posting these plays proudly when challenged.This guy might be a Trout stalker if the truth be known.

    I give benefit of the doubt because I honestly do not know.

    I also would be amazed if it really were 'free' money, as it were.

    peace_5

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34183
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 9:39 PM ET #613

    @Rush51 

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/mlb-launch-angles-story/

    This is one of the first I remember that went into such detail.  

    But there are many more detailed and updated ones.

    peace_5

    Reply

    @Rush51 

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/mlb-launch-angles-story/

    This is one of the first I remember that went into such detail.  

    But there are many more detailed and updated ones.

    peace_5

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34183
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 9:43 PM ET #614

    @Rush51

     

    Quote Originally Posted by Rush51:

    @undermysac  What an awfully small sample size.  Let's look at the data at the end of the year...

    Do you know what it is until today so far this season?

    Not just for Trout  --  but for any other power hitters as well?

    Reply

    @Rush51

     

    Quote Originally Posted by Rush51:

    @undermysac  What an awfully small sample size.  Let's look at the data at the end of the year...

    Do you know what it is until today so far this season?

    Not just for Trout  --  but for any other power hitters as well?

     
    Gatorpaw
    Gatorpaw
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2026
    Posts: 263
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 9:46 PM ET #615

    @undermysac

     Read the thread. 

    Reply

    @undermysac

     Read the thread. 

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 9:49 PM ET #616

    I think the biggest argument to be made is how many years of exceptionalism do you need to be put in the HOF ?  

     

    Go look at Mike Trout's stats over the years, and tell me what it means to be an exceptional player ?....   How many years of exceptional play must you achieve ???? 

     

     

    Reply

    I think the biggest argument to be made is how many years of exceptionalism do you need to be put in the HOF ?  

     

    Go look at Mike Trout's stats over the years, and tell me what it means to be an exceptional player ?....   How many years of exceptional play must you achieve ???? 

     

     

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 10:02 PM ET #617

    @Raiders22

     Trout is supposed to be a HOF player... That is the crux of the argument being made.  Not that he is being "average", but exceptional.  As i say before , go look at his stats over his career.  He will clearly have a "first-half" of his career, .... and a 2nd half of his career that is ""NOT"" HOF worthy. 

     

    Reply

    @Raiders22

     Trout is supposed to be a HOF player... That is the crux of the argument being made.  Not that he is being "average", but exceptional.  As i say before , go look at his stats over his career.  He will clearly have a "first-half" of his career, .... and a 2nd half of his career that is ""NOT"" HOF worthy. 

     

     
    ArtSchlichterJr
    ArtSchlichterJr
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 3465
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 10:12 PM ET #618

    True 2nd half not HOF but over all he is a LOCK.. That's why it is called a career.  peace_5

    Be careful with the axe Eugene.
    Reply

    True 2nd half not HOF but over all he is a LOCK.. That's why it is called a career.  peace_5

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 10:16 PM ET #619

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22:

    @Rush51   Quote Originally Posted by Rush51: @undermysac  What an awfully small sample size.  Let's look at the data at the end of the year... Do you know what it is until today so far this season? Not just for Trout  --  but for any other power hitters as well?

     

     

    Seriously, who cares about any other power hitter.  Focus on a winner and ride it.  

    The notion of finding other opportunities is a tendency to greed !  And this is what leads to losses in the long term.   Forget this nonsense.  You know better. 

    Also, the notion of betting 2+ SO per game is greed ( mentioned by someone else) ....  Exploit the lines of a book.....................And move on.  

     

     

     

     

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22:

    @Rush51   Quote Originally Posted by Rush51: @undermysac  What an awfully small sample size.  Let's look at the data at the end of the year... Do you know what it is until today so far this season? Not just for Trout  --  but for any other power hitters as well?

     

     

    Seriously, who cares about any other power hitter.  Focus on a winner and ride it.  

    The notion of finding other opportunities is a tendency to greed !  And this is what leads to losses in the long term.   Forget this nonsense.  You know better. 

    Also, the notion of betting 2+ SO per game is greed ( mentioned by someone else) ....  Exploit the lines of a book.....................And move on.  

     

     

     

     

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34183
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 10:16 PM ET #620

    @Rush51

     Ok.  An alltime great and a first ballot hall of famer.  He got injured and older. 

    I really get all of that. 

    But I am not clear that is the crux of the argument, at least for me.  

    It is whether you can make money off of his strikeouts over a season.  If so, why are the book not fixing this.  If so, why not bet other power hitters as well.  

    The crux really is about making money off of his strikeouts—not whether he is great or still is great.  That is a side issue that is silly to me. 

    So, if you can make money off of a declining power hitters if the books are still postíng pre-decline numbers — where can I see this data.   

    Reply

    @Rush51

     Ok.  An alltime great and a first ballot hall of famer.  He got injured and older. 

    I really get all of that. 

    But I am not clear that is the crux of the argument, at least for me.  

    It is whether you can make money off of his strikeouts over a season.  If so, why are the book not fixing this.  If so, why not bet other power hitters as well.  

    The crux really is about making money off of his strikeouts—not whether he is great or still is great.  That is a side issue that is silly to me. 

    So, if you can make money off of a declining power hitters if the books are still postíng pre-decline numbers — where can I see this data.   

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 10:20 PM ET #621

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22:

    @Rush51 Quote Originally Posted by Rush51: Raiders, seriously, please pump the brakes on the use of AI in your responses...   ball backspin...  graph it out as Y=a*x(squared)... seriously, let's put it to bed.  I'll counter your use of AI with mine which says the  """ Actual Trajectory of a fastball, with backspin and high velocity, a 100 mph fastball may only drop about 7.7 inches from where the pitcher aimed it.""   So, it's practically negligible to the catcher's mitt.    You can do your own Pythagorean Theorem exercise as to the actual angle of decent based on this.   But it's small....    And Sure, the hitter has a naturally slight up-swing to be on the same plane as the ball in this premise.   But I'm talking about the "UP-SWING" from the hitter that he focuses on (i.e. The Launch Angle),   regardless of the trajectory of the baseball thrown.  I thought I spelled this out clearly earlier in my reply.  The hitter focuses on "HIS" launch angle", regardless of the pitch thrown.  In any event, I expect over the coming years that the excessive emphasis on "launch angle" will be put to bed... and a RE-FOCUS on learning to hit the baseball will take over..  I am sorry.  But the physics is what it is.  The science is what it is.  The proof in all of that is the expected runs produced. As I said before, I was not a big advocate for it when it started and do not really like it. It is very frustrating when guys strikeout or have a long fly out to end a rally. It is also frustrating that teams are not effective with small bal any more.  For example teams are not stealing bases any more. The reason is the same:  the analytics have proven it to be a negative EV option over the long run. I get that folks do not like it.  But for now, that is the way it is and how the teams are being built and how the players are being coached. But if you do not like AI explanation of it, there are many, many great articles online about it and the development over the years of it. That is why I said earlier MLB is the very best sport for analytics to work out to the positive -- because of the long season and the many situational opportunities that arise.

     

     

    The gravity of the ball crossing the plate ??  Please,  I expect better from you Raiders... I already said what needed to be said.   That is some juvenile stuff when it comes to people that know baseball...  Read my response again... It is noteworthy,. 

     

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22:

    @Rush51 Quote Originally Posted by Rush51: Raiders, seriously, please pump the brakes on the use of AI in your responses...   ball backspin...  graph it out as Y=a*x(squared)... seriously, let's put it to bed.  I'll counter your use of AI with mine which says the  """ Actual Trajectory of a fastball, with backspin and high velocity, a 100 mph fastball may only drop about 7.7 inches from where the pitcher aimed it.""   So, it's practically negligible to the catcher's mitt.    You can do your own Pythagorean Theorem exercise as to the actual angle of decent based on this.   But it's small....    And Sure, the hitter has a naturally slight up-swing to be on the same plane as the ball in this premise.   But I'm talking about the "UP-SWING" from the hitter that he focuses on (i.e. The Launch Angle),   regardless of the trajectory of the baseball thrown.  I thought I spelled this out clearly earlier in my reply.  The hitter focuses on "HIS" launch angle", regardless of the pitch thrown.  In any event, I expect over the coming years that the excessive emphasis on "launch angle" will be put to bed... and a RE-FOCUS on learning to hit the baseball will take over..  I am sorry.  But the physics is what it is.  The science is what it is.  The proof in all of that is the expected runs produced. As I said before, I was not a big advocate for it when it started and do not really like it. It is very frustrating when guys strikeout or have a long fly out to end a rally. It is also frustrating that teams are not effective with small bal any more.  For example teams are not stealing bases any more. The reason is the same:  the analytics have proven it to be a negative EV option over the long run. I get that folks do not like it.  But for now, that is the way it is and how the teams are being built and how the players are being coached. But if you do not like AI explanation of it, there are many, many great articles online about it and the development over the years of it. That is why I said earlier MLB is the very best sport for analytics to work out to the positive -- because of the long season and the many situational opportunities that arise.

     

     

    The gravity of the ball crossing the plate ??  Please,  I expect better from you Raiders... I already said what needed to be said.   That is some juvenile stuff when it comes to people that know baseball...  Read my response again... It is noteworthy,. 

     

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34183
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 10:21 PM ET #622

    @Rush51

    Seriously, who cares about any other power hitter.  Focus on a winner and ride it.  

    I do. 
    Because if it is truly working then it has to be working for others.  
    Books will limit what you can play on these props anyway — so, why not play multiple players. 

    If there is truly an edge — why not maximize this edge.  

    Besides what if Trout gets hurt again.  Do you just sit on the sidelines the rest of the year and not take free money.  
    peace_5

    Reply

    @Rush51

    Seriously, who cares about any other power hitter.  Focus on a winner and ride it.  

    I do. 
    Because if it is truly working then it has to be working for others.  
    Books will limit what you can play on these props anyway — so, why not play multiple players. 

    If there is truly an edge — why not maximize this edge.  

    Besides what if Trout gets hurt again.  Do you just sit on the sidelines the rest of the year and not take free money.  
    peace_5

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34183
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 10:23 PM ET #623

     @Rush51

     The gravity of the ball crossing the plate ??  Please,  I expect better from you Raiders... I already said what needed to be said.   That is some juvenile stuff when it comes to people that know baseball...  Read my response again... It is noteworthy,. 

    Yes.  They explain exactly how many inches gravity is bringing the ball down as it crosses the plate.  
    Pure physics.  
    I recommend reading up on this and the whole science behind it. 

    It has transformed the game because of it.  We can not like it; but we cannot deny the science and math behind why they are doing it.  

    Reply

     @Rush51

     The gravity of the ball crossing the plate ??  Please,  I expect better from you Raiders... I already said what needed to be said.   That is some juvenile stuff when it comes to people that know baseball...  Read my response again... It is noteworthy,. 

    Yes.  They explain exactly how many inches gravity is bringing the ball down as it crosses the plate.  
    Pure physics.  
    I recommend reading up on this and the whole science behind it. 

    It has transformed the game because of it.  We can not like it; but we cannot deny the science and math behind why they are doing it.  

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 10:26 PM ET #624

    [Quote: Originally Posted by ArtSchlichterJr]True 2nd half not HOF but over all he is a LOCK.. That's why it is called a career.[/Quote]

     

    And really ????   What makes a career ??   And yet, you will find no other HOF player that had more SO than hits over his career,  and also  DID NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THE PLAYOFFS AT ALL !!!!    HE WILL BE THE FIRST to achieve such a lackluster postseason AND a SHITTY 2nd half of his career.  !!  

    It really is something for people to think that he is some exceptional player over the length of his career...  It just isn't so. ... 

     

     

    Reply

    [Quote: Originally Posted by ArtSchlichterJr]True 2nd half not HOF but over all he is a LOCK.. That's why it is called a career.[/Quote]

     

    And really ????   What makes a career ??   And yet, you will find no other HOF player that had more SO than hits over his career,  and also  DID NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THE PLAYOFFS AT ALL !!!!    HE WILL BE THE FIRST to achieve such a lackluster postseason AND a SHITTY 2nd half of his career.  !!  

    It really is something for people to think that he is some exceptional player over the length of his career...  It just isn't so. ... 

     

     

     
     
    undermysac
    undermysac
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2014
    Posts: 52268
    Posted: May. 12, 2026 - 10:35 PM ET #625

    Quote Originally Posted by Rush51:

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22: @Rush51   Quote Originally Posted by Rush51: @undermysac  What an awfully small sample size.  Let's look at the data at the end of the year... Do you know what it is until today so far this season? Not just for Trout  --  but for any other power hitters as well?     Seriously, who cares about any other power hitter.  Focus on a winner and ride it.   The notion of finding other opportunities is a tendency to greed !  And this is what leads to losses in the long term.   Forget this nonsense.  You know better.  Also, the notion of betting 2+ SO per game is greed ( mentioned by someone else) ....  Exploit the lines of a book.....................And move on.

    Is it a winning bet over the long run? None of us really know.

    I tried my best to examine it in a previous post. Came up with +$140 at the time(not exact), I was guessing the odds at -365 at the time on all games. Used that # cause that's what I saw him at for one game a few days ago.

    I think that's all Raiders and I would like to know.

    This thread in the meantime has turned into a massive argument what makes a player good, or great, or hall of fame worthy etc...with the main argument for Trout sucking is his strikeout rate.

    I simply pointed out that Judge strikes out more than him. And I don't see anyone making the argument for Judge being a bad player. 

    There could better odds on his strikeout props if the perception is different than the true implied odds on his strikeout props.

    Just a thought. Have a great day gentlemen 

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Rush51:

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22: @Rush51   Quote Originally Posted by Rush51: @undermysac  What an awfully small sample size.  Let's look at the data at the end of the year... Do you know what it is until today so far this season? Not just for Trout  --  but for any other power hitters as well?     Seriously, who cares about any other power hitter.  Focus on a winner and ride it.   The notion of finding other opportunities is a tendency to greed !  And this is what leads to losses in the long term.   Forget this nonsense.  You know better.  Also, the notion of betting 2+ SO per game is greed ( mentioned by someone else) ....  Exploit the lines of a book.....................And move on.

    Is it a winning bet over the long run? None of us really know.

    I tried my best to examine it in a previous post. Came up with +$140 at the time(not exact), I was guessing the odds at -365 at the time on all games. Used that # cause that's what I saw him at for one game a few days ago.

    I think that's all Raiders and I would like to know.

    This thread in the meantime has turned into a massive argument what makes a player good, or great, or hall of fame worthy etc...with the main argument for Trout sucking is his strikeout rate.

    I simply pointed out that Judge strikes out more than him. And I don't see anyone making the argument for Judge being a bad player. 

    There could better odds on his strikeout props if the perception is different than the true implied odds on his strikeout props.

    Just a thought. Have a great day gentlemen 

    All Forums | MLB Betting Forum
    «First Previous 252627 ... 303132 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,609
    • Sunday 09/27/2026 498
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,089
    • Sunday 3,115
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 101,897
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 13,512
    • ***Macwesties * Thur. * Sun. Sept. 24, 27, 2026 * Week #3 * NFL Football Plays* 8,730
    • NFL Sunday 7,067
    • Rams vs Broncos in game live SNF 1,656
    • Mike Trout Strikeouts 7,110

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.