• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Las Vegas

    Minimum needed to live the dream

    «First Previous 91011 ... 181920 Next Last»
    statsboy
    mafioso
    reef212000
    topperchris
    don juan
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 283609
    Posts: 495
    «First Previous 91011 ... 181920 Next Last»
     
    statsboy
    statsboy
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2012
    Posts: 7
    Posted: Nov. 9, 2012 - 10:00 PM ET #201

    Quote Originally Posted by mafioso:

    I fear nothing, Always been my problem in life, but the issue isnt the moron who goes about bragging about what he won, the issue here statboy is you said YOU KNOW GUYS WHO WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO HIT BIG SO THEY CAN ROB HIM.

    I know it aint disneyland, but if I knew of any motherfuckers doing what you say they are doing, I wouldnt hesitate to get these fucks locked up or even better dead.

    90% of the visitors on this forum deal with illegal bookies and thjey have seen their illegal bookies do bad things too people who don't pay up.  I don't go around asking everyone who I heard or thought committed a crime if they did. Unsavory people are not my best friends but living in Vegas for years or any town you see fvcked up things. I don't condone bad behavior but I don't go around questioning Tony Soprano if he committed a crime.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by mafioso:

    I fear nothing, Always been my problem in life, but the issue isnt the moron who goes about bragging about what he won, the issue here statboy is you said YOU KNOW GUYS WHO WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO HIT BIG SO THEY CAN ROB HIM.

    I know it aint disneyland, but if I knew of any motherfuckers doing what you say they are doing, I wouldnt hesitate to get these fucks locked up or even better dead.

    90% of the visitors on this forum deal with illegal bookies and thjey have seen their illegal bookies do bad things too people who don't pay up.  I don't go around asking everyone who I heard or thought committed a crime if they did. Unsavory people are not my best friends but living in Vegas for years or any town you see fvcked up things. I don't condone bad behavior but I don't go around questioning Tony Soprano if he committed a crime.
     
    mafioso
    mafioso
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2010
    Posts: 2665
    Posted: Nov. 10, 2012 - 3:43 AM ET #202

    Last reply here, You said
    You know guys who wait for someone to hit big so they can take them down
    Correct? You did say that right?

    My question
    Do you really know some scumbag motherfuckers who do this?
    Or did you mean, there are scumbags that do this?

    If you know motherfuckers that do this, then you have a moral obligation to turn these fuckers in before it goes bad and some innocent person gets killed.
    If you meant that there are scumbags that do this then yes I agree, there are lowlife peices of shit that prey on innocent people and since we do not know them, we cant do anything about it.

    If you feel you do not have a moral obligation to turn in scum than that is between you, god and your own conscience.
    Reply
    Last reply here, You said
    You know guys who wait for someone to hit big so they can take them down
    Correct? You did say that right?

    My question
    Do you really know some scumbag motherfuckers who do this?
    Or did you mean, there are scumbags that do this?

    If you know motherfuckers that do this, then you have a moral obligation to turn these fuckers in before it goes bad and some innocent person gets killed.
    If you meant that there are scumbags that do this then yes I agree, there are lowlife peices of shit that prey on innocent people and since we do not know them, we cant do anything about it.

    If you feel you do not have a moral obligation to turn in scum than that is between you, god and your own conscience.
     
    reef212000
    reef212000
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 12
    Posted: Nov. 14, 2012 - 2:56 AM ET #203

    Here is my story, I got laid off from my accounting job in the Bay area Feb 2009 and I decided to foreclose on my townhouse at the end of 09 and move to Vegas and take my 45 k bankroll with me

    I moved to Vegas in Jan 2010 and I was collecting unemployment for the first yr and a half as well as playing low level poker 1-2 no limit and betting sports very small

    My unemployment stopped in mid 2011 and I have just been playing poker and betting sports since then. My monthly nut to crack is about 1000

    I think it is pretty damned hard to make 100 a day gambling. I am pretty disciplined and keep track of every poker session and sports bet made. I am only averaging about 650 a month in gambling profit for the year so my bankroll is going down a little. The highest it was at the height of my unemployment collecting was about 60 k and now it is about 40 k

    I am kind of lazy and dont want to look for a job so I will probably play my bankroll down to about 30k then look for work

    I think you can make it out here gambling but you need a decent bankroll and u need to be focused and disciplined. I do it for small stakes and the swings are still big thats why I cant even avg 50 dollars a day gambling

    I keep my goals the same try to make 50 dollars a day and even that is very difficult. I have never been good at sports gambling that is why I prefer to play more poker.

    If anyone has any questions about moving to Vegas and living the so called dream fire away and I will give u my opinion

      Reef
    Reply
    Here is my story, I got laid off from my accounting job in the Bay area Feb 2009 and I decided to foreclose on my townhouse at the end of 09 and move to Vegas and take my 45 k bankroll with me

    I moved to Vegas in Jan 2010 and I was collecting unemployment for the first yr and a half as well as playing low level poker 1-2 no limit and betting sports very small

    My unemployment stopped in mid 2011 and I have just been playing poker and betting sports since then. My monthly nut to crack is about 1000

    I think it is pretty damned hard to make 100 a day gambling. I am pretty disciplined and keep track of every poker session and sports bet made. I am only averaging about 650 a month in gambling profit for the year so my bankroll is going down a little. The highest it was at the height of my unemployment collecting was about 60 k and now it is about 40 k

    I am kind of lazy and dont want to look for a job so I will probably play my bankroll down to about 30k then look for work

    I think you can make it out here gambling but you need a decent bankroll and u need to be focused and disciplined. I do it for small stakes and the swings are still big thats why I cant even avg 50 dollars a day gambling

    I keep my goals the same try to make 50 dollars a day and even that is very difficult. I have never been good at sports gambling that is why I prefer to play more poker.

    If anyone has any questions about moving to Vegas and living the so called dream fire away and I will give u my opinion

      Reef
     
    topperchris
    topperchris
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2005
    Posts: 1324
    Posted: Nov. 15, 2012 - 7:02 PM ET #204

      Good Info Reef..Where is our boy..Hope hes winning...
    Reply
      Good Info Reef..Where is our boy..Hope hes winning...
     
    don juan
    don juan
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2001
    Posts: 5561
    Posted: Nov. 15, 2012 - 10:48 PM ET #205

    If you guys in Vegas had taken my advice over the last 12 years, you'd be way ahead.. I'm retired and in my 70s and have seen every Superbowl in history.

    I posted here the last 12 Superbowl winners against the spread.

    My record is 11-1 right here on Covers/Wagerline. Ask around here and it will be confirmed for you.

    If you are wise you will save some money for the big game in February. It's the easiest game to handicap because both teams are rested for 2 weeks and giving their all, from the head coach on down to the waterboy.

    I can't help but boast a little because it's quite a feat,  I am the greatest Superbowl handicapper around today, and I'm glad to help you young studs, For FREE !

    Farewell...  look me up in February, ( God willing, I'll still be around here )

     

    When you think of the Superbowl, think Don Juan.

     

    Reply

    If you guys in Vegas had taken my advice over the last 12 years, you'd be way ahead.. I'm retired and in my 70s and have seen every Superbowl in history.

    I posted here the last 12 Superbowl winners against the spread.

    My record is 11-1 right here on Covers/Wagerline. Ask around here and it will be confirmed for you.

    If you are wise you will save some money for the big game in February. It's the easiest game to handicap because both teams are rested for 2 weeks and giving their all, from the head coach on down to the waterboy.

    I can't help but boast a little because it's quite a feat,  I am the greatest Superbowl handicapper around today, and I'm glad to help you young studs, For FREE !

    Farewell...  look me up in February, ( God willing, I'll still be around here )

     

    When you think of the Superbowl, think Don Juan.

     

     
    statsboy
    statsboy
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2012
    Posts: 7
    Posted: Nov. 18, 2012 - 12:03 AM ET #206

    Quote Originally Posted by reef212000:

    Here is my story, I got laid off from my accounting job in the Bay area Feb 2009 and I decided to foreclose on my townhouse at the end of 09 and move to Vegas and take my 45 k bankroll with me

    I moved to Vegas in Jan 2010 and I was collecting unemployment for the first yr and a half as well as playing low level poker 1-2 no limit and betting sports very small

    My unemployment stopped in mid 2011 and I have just been playing poker and betting sports since then. My monthly nut to crack is about 1000

    I think it is pretty damned hard to make 100 a day gambling. I am pretty disciplined and keep track of every poker session and sports bet made. I am only averaging about 650 a month in gambling profit for the year so my bankroll is going down a little. The highest it was at the height of my unemployment collecting was about 60 k and now it is about 40 k

    I am kind of lazy and dont want to look for a job so I will probably play my bankroll down to about 30k then look for work

    I think you can make it out here gambling but you need a decent bankroll and u need to be focused and disciplined. I do it for small stakes and the swings are still big thats why I cant even avg 50 dollars a day gambling

    I keep my goals the same try to make 50 dollars a day and even that is very difficult. I have never been good at sports gambling that is why I prefer to play more poker.

    If anyone has any questions about moving to Vegas and living the so called dream fire away and I will give u my opinion

      Reef

     Good post to give people some true accounts on living in Vegas.
    Sometimes the truth hurts but at least everyone gets another perspective. I believe in the Vegas dream but once you get in the arena and get punched strategy changes. My view is you have to use progressive bets at times and treat some games with more value than others. Blackjack players use a counting system and when the deck is hot they go big. Sports to me is no different, no professional blackjack player would bet the same amount on every hand, they would not make  any money.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by reef212000:

    Here is my story, I got laid off from my accounting job in the Bay area Feb 2009 and I decided to foreclose on my townhouse at the end of 09 and move to Vegas and take my 45 k bankroll with me

    I moved to Vegas in Jan 2010 and I was collecting unemployment for the first yr and a half as well as playing low level poker 1-2 no limit and betting sports very small

    My unemployment stopped in mid 2011 and I have just been playing poker and betting sports since then. My monthly nut to crack is about 1000

    I think it is pretty damned hard to make 100 a day gambling. I am pretty disciplined and keep track of every poker session and sports bet made. I am only averaging about 650 a month in gambling profit for the year so my bankroll is going down a little. The highest it was at the height of my unemployment collecting was about 60 k and now it is about 40 k

    I am kind of lazy and dont want to look for a job so I will probably play my bankroll down to about 30k then look for work

    I think you can make it out here gambling but you need a decent bankroll and u need to be focused and disciplined. I do it for small stakes and the swings are still big thats why I cant even avg 50 dollars a day gambling

    I keep my goals the same try to make 50 dollars a day and even that is very difficult. I have never been good at sports gambling that is why I prefer to play more poker.

    If anyone has any questions about moving to Vegas and living the so called dream fire away and I will give u my opinion

      Reef

     Good post to give people some true accounts on living in Vegas.
    Sometimes the truth hurts but at least everyone gets another perspective. I believe in the Vegas dream but once you get in the arena and get punched strategy changes. My view is you have to use progressive bets at times and treat some games with more value than others. Blackjack players use a counting system and when the deck is hot they go big. Sports to me is no different, no professional blackjack player would bet the same amount on every hand, they would not make  any money.
     
    nekonaga
    nekonaga
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2011
    Posts: 35
    Posted: Nov. 20, 2012 - 3:13 AM ET #207

     if you think living the dream is gamiling for a living is a dream try it for awhile its way harder than having a job and very stressful becuase you know yoiu have to win if you dont believe me test the thery go to the nearest casino near you and have  all your bills paid if you want except say your rent say it 750.00 take it to the casino and lay it on a game knowing if you win great but what if you lose there goes the rent! well its just like that but its for all your bills  i think enough money for the dream is when you have money  that is above paying you bills and you and try to make it with that amount thats the only way to do it and be suscessful and you and do that sitting at home with a job open up a spots book on line book and go that way1 that way you will see how it goes first and how really hard it is! that what i do and most the time im really lucky but 1 bad week is hell! and its hard to recover and keep going! try this way first and test your kills ! dont bother try winning at the table games  or you wont last but a short time i dont care how bug your bankroll is! have fun qand the best of luck!!!!
    Reply
     if you think living the dream is gamiling for a living is a dream try it for awhile its way harder than having a job and very stressful becuase you know yoiu have to win if you dont believe me test the thery go to the nearest casino near you and have  all your bills paid if you want except say your rent say it 750.00 take it to the casino and lay it on a game knowing if you win great but what if you lose there goes the rent! well its just like that but its for all your bills  i think enough money for the dream is when you have money  that is above paying you bills and you and try to make it with that amount thats the only way to do it and be suscessful and you and do that sitting at home with a job open up a spots book on line book and go that way1 that way you will see how it goes first and how really hard it is! that what i do and most the time im really lucky but 1 bad week is hell! and its hard to recover and keep going! try this way first and test your kills ! dont bother try winning at the table games  or you wont last but a short time i dont care how bug your bankroll is! have fun qand the best of luck!!!!
     
    machop1
    machop1
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2006
    Posts: 3
    Posted: Nov. 20, 2012 - 8:56 PM ET #208

    What are the current super bowl odds per team
    (ie New eng 5-1)
    Who's the current favorite?

    Ma
    Reply
    What are the current super bowl odds per team
    (ie New eng 5-1)
    Who's the current favorite?

    Ma
     
    ShadowWarrior
    ShadowWarrior
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 7112
    Posted: Nov. 21, 2012 - 1:16 PM ET #209

    SF looks good with CK!  Gronk is hurt so there goes NE.  GB, NYG, Atl, Balt., and maybe Denver should be up there.  Chi. With no Cutler, sorry. Oh and there is Houston.
    Reply
    SF looks good with CK!  Gronk is hurt so there goes NE.  GB, NYG, Atl, Balt., and maybe Denver should be up there.  Chi. With no Cutler, sorry. Oh and there is Houston.
     
    Smellyhawk
    Smellyhawk
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 22
    Posted: Nov. 22, 2012 - 1:08 AM ET #210

    Great insight into living the dream. To make it wagering on sports there is one thing that is being overlooked, patience.  I've wagered on sports most of my adult life and I am my own worst emeny.  You can't wager every night, you need to pick your spots.  I truly believe you should never risk more than 10% of your roll on any one bet and if you have more than one game to play you split that 10% amongst your plays.   Patience, the key to success! 

    Reply

    Great insight into living the dream. To make it wagering on sports there is one thing that is being overlooked, patience.  I've wagered on sports most of my adult life and I am my own worst emeny.  You can't wager every night, you need to pick your spots.  I truly believe you should never risk more than 10% of your roll on any one bet and if you have more than one game to play you split that 10% amongst your plays.   Patience, the key to success! 

     
    intel1
    intel1
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2008
    Posts: 537
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2012 - 4:04 PM ET #211

    It seems the people who want to live the the dream can't afford it and those that could choose to live their dream in some other way. Many posts have been made over the years about this topic and always the OP seems to have unrealistic expectations about the level of commitment and resources required to carry it out.

    Lem Banker, perhaps the most notable sports bettor to have lived said more than once, on air and in print, it's virtually impossible to make it as a pro. Even if you could the quality of life you'll experience isn't worth it. Banker admits that he himself took enormous risks with his BR many times and was extremely fortunate to win virtually every time he really had to. This is very rare and had even one of those all-in bets not come thru none of us would ever have heard of Lem. Also Banker made his fortune from about the mid-60s to mid-80s when middling was a viable possibility. With independent oddsmakers long gone from the scene this is no longer available.

    I think a more realistic notion for most of us who love to wager is to make it  a supplement to our normal work or incomes rather than the sole means. You can still take shots with the BR every once in a while when something great comes along but still have something to fall back on if it doesn't pan out for you. Apparently some people aren't satisfied going this route and choose to take on a daunting task. Certainly part of human experience is challenging ourselves and proving conventional wisdom wrong or not wholly accurate. This has expanded human knowledge and broadened our ideas about our potential thru out history and sports bettors have a right to apply that to this  field as well. I wish them the best and am as fascinated as the next guy to hear their accounts.
    Reply
    It seems the people who want to live the the dream can't afford it and those that could choose to live their dream in some other way. Many posts have been made over the years about this topic and always the OP seems to have unrealistic expectations about the level of commitment and resources required to carry it out.

    Lem Banker, perhaps the most notable sports bettor to have lived said more than once, on air and in print, it's virtually impossible to make it as a pro. Even if you could the quality of life you'll experience isn't worth it. Banker admits that he himself took enormous risks with his BR many times and was extremely fortunate to win virtually every time he really had to. This is very rare and had even one of those all-in bets not come thru none of us would ever have heard of Lem. Also Banker made his fortune from about the mid-60s to mid-80s when middling was a viable possibility. With independent oddsmakers long gone from the scene this is no longer available.

    I think a more realistic notion for most of us who love to wager is to make it  a supplement to our normal work or incomes rather than the sole means. You can still take shots with the BR every once in a while when something great comes along but still have something to fall back on if it doesn't pan out for you. Apparently some people aren't satisfied going this route and choose to take on a daunting task. Certainly part of human experience is challenging ourselves and proving conventional wisdom wrong or not wholly accurate. This has expanded human knowledge and broadened our ideas about our potential thru out history and sports bettors have a right to apply that to this  field as well. I wish them the best and am as fascinated as the next guy to hear their accounts.
     
    300greekspartan
    300greekspartan
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2012
    Posts: 369
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2012 - 8:55 PM ET #212

    Where do you need 100,000 to live at in vegas the taj majal vip? 
    Reply
    Where do you need 100,000 to live at in vegas the taj majal vip? 
     
    300greekspartan
    300greekspartan
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2012
    Posts: 369
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2012 - 8:56 PM ET #213

    1,250 square foot nice little condo is about 1 k per month. so 12k. Get a roomate. 6 k. 
    Reply
    1,250 square foot nice little condo is about 1 k per month. so 12k. Get a roomate. 6 k. 
     
    reconnoiter
    reconnoiter
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2011
    Posts: 645
    Posted: Nov. 25, 2012 - 6:05 AM ET #214

    interesting topic. I live in Vegas, and know of a few people (teams) who you all are referring to. some used to frequent an establishment i work at. To the poster who said there were no success stories posted, I lol. I know first hand that those guys will never make public what they do or how they got there. 

    the successful ones are run like a business. You guys make it sound like its one guy who goes around and makes the bets lol. there are different levels of pros i have met. They are very secretive and dont trust many people. 

    Yes there not many people because its not easy! haha One explained it to me, if you can survive the first year you have passed your first test. If you have a good team, you are set. 

    you guys make it seem like its impossible, it is not. if it was easy Everyone would do it
    Reply
    interesting topic. I live in Vegas, and know of a few people (teams) who you all are referring to. some used to frequent an establishment i work at. To the poster who said there were no success stories posted, I lol. I know first hand that those guys will never make public what they do or how they got there. 

    the successful ones are run like a business. You guys make it sound like its one guy who goes around and makes the bets lol. there are different levels of pros i have met. They are very secretive and dont trust many people. 

    Yes there not many people because its not easy! haha One explained it to me, if you can survive the first year you have passed your first test. If you have a good team, you are set. 

    you guys make it seem like its impossible, it is not. if it was easy Everyone would do it
     
    jerkem11
    jerkem11
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 243
    Posted: Nov. 25, 2012 - 9:49 PM ET #215

    Just read these posts for the first time tonight and think its pretty interesting... Good luck newyorkslim.. I have some stories to add from personal experience i will share later if this posts continue.. keep us informed slim

    Reply

    Just read these posts for the first time tonight and think its pretty interesting... Good luck newyorkslim.. I have some stories to add from personal experience i will share later if this posts continue.. keep us informed slim

     
    pointsspread
    pointsspread
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 180
    Posted: Nov. 26, 2012 - 6:26 AM ET #216

    66000
    Reply
    66000
     
    topperchris
    topperchris
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2005
    Posts: 1324
    Posted: Nov. 26, 2012 - 7:39 PM ET #217

    At this point i would bet against ARZ Cards every week...
    Reply
    At this point i would bet against ARZ Cards every week...
     
    Crashdavis565
    Crashdavis565
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 15772
    Posted: Nov. 27, 2012 - 6:18 PM ET #218

    Quote Originally Posted by reef212000:

    Here is my story, I got laid off from my accounting job in the Bay area Feb 2009 and I decided to foreclose on my townhouse at the end of 09 and move to Vegas and take my 45 k bankroll with me

    I moved to Vegas in Jan 2010 and I was collecting unemployment for the first yr and a half as well as playing low level poker 1-2 no limit and betting sports very small

    My unemployment stopped in mid 2011 and I have just been playing poker and betting sports since then. My monthly nut to crack is about 1000

    I think it is pretty damned hard to make 100 a day gambling. I am pretty disciplined and keep track of every poker session and sports bet made. I am only averaging about 650 a month in gambling profit for the year so my bankroll is going down a little. The highest it was at the height of my unemployment collecting was about 60 k and now it is about 40 k

    I am kind of lazy and dont want to look for a job so I will probably play my bankroll down to about 30k then look for work

    I think you can make it out here gambling but you need a decent bankroll and u need to be focused and disciplined. I do it for small stakes and the swings are still big thats why I cant even avg 50 dollars a day gambling

    I keep my goals the same try to make 50 dollars a day and even that is very difficult. I have never been good at sports gambling that is why I prefer to play more poker.

    If anyone has any questions about moving to Vegas and living the so called dream fire away and I will give u my opinion

      Reef


    honest enough
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by reef212000:

    Here is my story, I got laid off from my accounting job in the Bay area Feb 2009 and I decided to foreclose on my townhouse at the end of 09 and move to Vegas and take my 45 k bankroll with me

    I moved to Vegas in Jan 2010 and I was collecting unemployment for the first yr and a half as well as playing low level poker 1-2 no limit and betting sports very small

    My unemployment stopped in mid 2011 and I have just been playing poker and betting sports since then. My monthly nut to crack is about 1000

    I think it is pretty damned hard to make 100 a day gambling. I am pretty disciplined and keep track of every poker session and sports bet made. I am only averaging about 650 a month in gambling profit for the year so my bankroll is going down a little. The highest it was at the height of my unemployment collecting was about 60 k and now it is about 40 k

    I am kind of lazy and dont want to look for a job so I will probably play my bankroll down to about 30k then look for work

    I think you can make it out here gambling but you need a decent bankroll and u need to be focused and disciplined. I do it for small stakes and the swings are still big thats why I cant even avg 50 dollars a day gambling

    I keep my goals the same try to make 50 dollars a day and even that is very difficult. I have never been good at sports gambling that is why I prefer to play more poker.

    If anyone has any questions about moving to Vegas and living the so called dream fire away and I will give u my opinion

      Reef


    honest enough
     
    renorunner2
    renorunner2
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2011
    Posts: 226
    Posted: Nov. 28, 2012 - 4:00 AM ET #219

    honestly I think anyone who uses any of these lame covers avatars are just lazy of dumb, just sayin...
    Reply
    honestly I think anyone who uses any of these lame covers avatars are just lazy of dumb, just sayin...
     
    statsboy
    statsboy
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2012
    Posts: 7
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2012 - 4:03 PM ET #220

    Just wanna add that it is now so much info now for sports gamblers that if you study do your homework, be PATIENT and pick your spots you can make a fortune. Internet, cable we are bombarded with info. My biggest down fall and I'm not a generate is being patient at times.
     
    One thing I believe in that you have to vary your bets at times you can bet single units, use 1 star and 2 star bets like some games 100 bucks and bets bets 200 bucks. That is conservative enough and do a tally of your monthly results. I gambled over the years and sometimes when you get the itch go out run, watch a movie get away if you feel a little compulsive.
    Reply
    Just wanna add that it is now so much info now for sports gamblers that if you study do your homework, be PATIENT and pick your spots you can make a fortune. Internet, cable we are bombarded with info. My biggest down fall and I'm not a generate is being patient at times.
     
    One thing I believe in that you have to vary your bets at times you can bet single units, use 1 star and 2 star bets like some games 100 bucks and bets bets 200 bucks. That is conservative enough and do a tally of your monthly results. I gambled over the years and sometimes when you get the itch go out run, watch a movie get away if you feel a little compulsive.
     
    nosepickgames
    nosepickgames
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 2
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2012 - 10:27 PM ET #221

      I like some of ur stories,,,,,but what happened to the guy the forum was all about.....didnt believe any of his posts anyway....
    Reply
      I like some of ur stories,,,,,but what happened to the guy the forum was all about.....didnt believe any of his posts anyway....
     
    Dutch1976
    Dutch1976
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2010
    Posts: 1934
    Posted: Nov. 30, 2012 - 4:17 AM ET #222

    $100 dollars a day isn't even enough to pay for the c-c-cocaine!
    Reply
    $100 dollars a day isn't even enough to pay for the c-c-cocaine!
     
    seowon
    seowon
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2004
    Posts: 57
    Posted: Nov. 30, 2012 - 6:29 PM ET #223

    Quote Originally Posted by judgelee:

    TBH whatever amount or bankroll you have, it never seems enough. 

    I totally agree w/ you.  I can't even make a budge for a week trip for Vegas.  Never seems to be enough.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by judgelee:

    TBH whatever amount or bankroll you have, it never seems enough. 

    I totally agree w/ you.  I can't even make a budge for a week trip for Vegas.  Never seems to be enough.
     
    Michfan15
    Michfan15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 11316
    Posted: Dec. 1, 2012 - 4:16 AM ET #224

    Quote Originally Posted by statsboy:

    Just wanna add that it is now so much info now for sports gamblers that if you study do your homework, be PATIENT and pick your spots you can make a fortune. Internet, cable we are bombarded with info. My biggest down fall and I'm not a generate is being patient at times.
     
    One thing I believe in that you have to vary your bets at times you can bet single units, use 1 star and 2 star bets like some games 100 bucks and bets bets 200 bucks. That is conservative enough and do a tally of your monthly results. I gambled over the years and sometimes when you get the itch go out run, watch a movie get away if you feel a little compulsive.

    this is actually so on point 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by statsboy:

    Just wanna add that it is now so much info now for sports gamblers that if you study do your homework, be PATIENT and pick your spots you can make a fortune. Internet, cable we are bombarded with info. My biggest down fall and I'm not a generate is being patient at times.
     
    One thing I believe in that you have to vary your bets at times you can bet single units, use 1 star and 2 star bets like some games 100 bucks and bets bets 200 bucks. That is conservative enough and do a tally of your monthly results. I gambled over the years and sometimes when you get the itch go out run, watch a movie get away if you feel a little compulsive.

    this is actually so on point 
     
     
    Michfan15
    Michfan15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 11316
    Posted: Dec. 1, 2012 - 4:19 AM ET #225

    Quote Originally Posted by reef212000:

    Here is my story, I got laid off from my accounting job in the Bay area Feb 2009 and I decided to foreclose on my townhouse at the end of 09 and move to Vegas and take my 45 k bankroll with me

    I moved to Vegas in Jan 2010 and I was collecting unemployment for the first yr and a half as well as playing low level poker 1-2 no limit and betting sports very small

    My unemployment stopped in mid 2011 and I have just been playing poker and betting sports since then. My monthly nut to crack is about 1000

    I think it is pretty damned hard to make 100 a day gambling. I am pretty disciplined and keep track of every poker session and sports bet made. I am only averaging about 650 a month in gambling profit for the year so my bankroll is going down a little. The highest it was at the height of my unemployment collecting was about 60 k and now it is about 40 k

    I am kind of lazy and dont want to look for a job so I will probably play my bankroll down to about 30k then look for work

    I think you can make it out here gambling but you need a decent bankroll and u need to be focused and disciplined. I do it for small stakes and the swings are still big thats why I cant even avg 50 dollars a day gambling

    I keep my goals the same try to make 50 dollars a day and even that is very difficult. I have never been good at sports gambling that is why I prefer to play more poker.

    If anyone has any questions about moving to Vegas and living the so called dream fire away and I will give u my opinion

      Reef

    i appreciate your honesty as one poster mentioned before but im more curiuos if this is - more or less the life story of the average covers user because i think its pretty sad that after working in such a reputable industry you are having such a hard time finding a new job and whats even more concerning is your lack of motivation...you worekd in accountign and i think its a fair assumption that you must have a bachelors degree or at least some college completed...literally makes no sense why you cant get a job to at least supplant some of your gambling money with a constant stream of income   again i wouldn't be surprised if this story hits home with most users on this site 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by reef212000:

    Here is my story, I got laid off from my accounting job in the Bay area Feb 2009 and I decided to foreclose on my townhouse at the end of 09 and move to Vegas and take my 45 k bankroll with me

    I moved to Vegas in Jan 2010 and I was collecting unemployment for the first yr and a half as well as playing low level poker 1-2 no limit and betting sports very small

    My unemployment stopped in mid 2011 and I have just been playing poker and betting sports since then. My monthly nut to crack is about 1000

    I think it is pretty damned hard to make 100 a day gambling. I am pretty disciplined and keep track of every poker session and sports bet made. I am only averaging about 650 a month in gambling profit for the year so my bankroll is going down a little. The highest it was at the height of my unemployment collecting was about 60 k and now it is about 40 k

    I am kind of lazy and dont want to look for a job so I will probably play my bankroll down to about 30k then look for work

    I think you can make it out here gambling but you need a decent bankroll and u need to be focused and disciplined. I do it for small stakes and the swings are still big thats why I cant even avg 50 dollars a day gambling

    I keep my goals the same try to make 50 dollars a day and even that is very difficult. I have never been good at sports gambling that is why I prefer to play more poker.

    If anyone has any questions about moving to Vegas and living the so called dream fire away and I will give u my opinion

      Reef

    i appreciate your honesty as one poster mentioned before but im more curiuos if this is - more or less the life story of the average covers user because i think its pretty sad that after working in such a reputable industry you are having such a hard time finding a new job and whats even more concerning is your lack of motivation...you worekd in accountign and i think its a fair assumption that you must have a bachelors degree or at least some college completed...literally makes no sense why you cant get a job to at least supplant some of your gambling money with a constant stream of income   again i wouldn't be surprised if this story hits home with most users on this site 
    All Forums | Las Vegas
    «First Previous 91011 ... 181920 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,365
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,993
    • PART DEUX 166
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 857
    • Week 6 Money 9,464
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,795
    • Friday 10/09/2026 390
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,561
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,277
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 438

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.