• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Las Vegas

    Minimum needed to live the dream

    «First Previous 678 ... 181920 Next Last»
    vlps5122
    ShadowWarrior
    mbialowas
    grins1010
    max-value
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 283609
    Posts: 495
    «First Previous 678 ... 181920 Next Last»
     
    vlps5122
    vlps5122
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2012
    Posts: 2
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2012 - 11:59 PM ET #126

    just stumbled upon this thread, hope you are doing well and succeeding newyorkslim. I have watched sports my whole life and have played poker since i was about 11 or 12. I havent played poker for money in about 2 years. I am now a senior in college and as a sophomore i played some cash games about 3-4 times a week against 25+ year olds and made some good money over course of the winter. Ive always wanted to get into sports betting and i finally just started with the start of the nfl season. I am up $600 so far with $50 bets (sometimes $100 bets) in 1 months time. My win rate is 60%. this dream you are living newyorkslim would be my dream as well. i am 8 months away from graduating with an accounting and finance degree and my parents are expecting me to become a cpa and sit in a cubicle all day being bored out of my mind. I have about $20k in my savings account, which my parents would probably be extremely dissapointed with me if i decided to try and make it in vegas and live this lifestyle. they have always dissaporved of me playing poker but they stopped nagging me over it when i usually came home with more money then i left the home with. man, i just dont feel like the 9-5 lifestyle is meant for me i feel different than most ppl in that regard. im going to keep betting through the nfl/ncaaf/nba/ncaab and also i go to school in delaware and online gambling will be legal come january so ill probly do some poker and maybe a little blackjack during my last semester before graduation. hey man i hope you make it out there and live a great life, i hope to join you come 1 year from now as a 22 yr old thats never been on his own doing something most ppl would consider crazy. good luck man.
    Reply
    just stumbled upon this thread, hope you are doing well and succeeding newyorkslim. I have watched sports my whole life and have played poker since i was about 11 or 12. I havent played poker for money in about 2 years. I am now a senior in college and as a sophomore i played some cash games about 3-4 times a week against 25+ year olds and made some good money over course of the winter. Ive always wanted to get into sports betting and i finally just started with the start of the nfl season. I am up $600 so far with $50 bets (sometimes $100 bets) in 1 months time. My win rate is 60%. this dream you are living newyorkslim would be my dream as well. i am 8 months away from graduating with an accounting and finance degree and my parents are expecting me to become a cpa and sit in a cubicle all day being bored out of my mind. I have about $20k in my savings account, which my parents would probably be extremely dissapointed with me if i decided to try and make it in vegas and live this lifestyle. they have always dissaporved of me playing poker but they stopped nagging me over it when i usually came home with more money then i left the home with. man, i just dont feel like the 9-5 lifestyle is meant for me i feel different than most ppl in that regard. im going to keep betting through the nfl/ncaaf/nba/ncaab and also i go to school in delaware and online gambling will be legal come january so ill probly do some poker and maybe a little blackjack during my last semester before graduation. hey man i hope you make it out there and live a great life, i hope to join you come 1 year from now as a 22 yr old thats never been on his own doing something most ppl would consider crazy. good luck man.
     
    ShadowWarrior
    ShadowWarrior
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 7112
    Posted: Oct. 3, 2012 - 1:29 PM ET #127

    Post your picks and posters here will advise if you should leave or not.  Personally I would not.  If you have on line gaming then stay where you are, make a living in some career and save money while at home.  Gambling can be a side hobby and you can always go to LV or Atlantic City for fun.  I go to LV three to four times a year and quite enough for me.  I get to gamble through local books on line and stay in paradise although lots of locals move to LV becauseof the high cost of living here.  Will be there visiting in late Oct. to visit classmates and to see a neighbor who moved away.  Got family that moved there also but not so close with them, cousins but hardly know them.  Every trip I bump into people from here.  Most say home is where you make it.  LV gets hot and cold.  Both climate and gambling.
    Reply
    Post your picks and posters here will advise if you should leave or not.  Personally I would not.  If you have on line gaming then stay where you are, make a living in some career and save money while at home.  Gambling can be a side hobby and you can always go to LV or Atlantic City for fun.  I go to LV three to four times a year and quite enough for me.  I get to gamble through local books on line and stay in paradise although lots of locals move to LV becauseof the high cost of living here.  Will be there visiting in late Oct. to visit classmates and to see a neighbor who moved away.  Got family that moved there also but not so close with them, cousins but hardly know them.  Every trip I bump into people from here.  Most say home is where you make it.  LV gets hot and cold.  Both climate and gambling.
     
    vlps5122
    vlps5122
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2012
    Posts: 2
    Posted: Oct. 3, 2012 - 3:50 PM ET #128

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior:

    Post your picks and posters here will advise if you should leave or not.  Personally I would not.  If you have on line gaming then stay where you are, make a living in some career and save money while at home.  Gambling can be a side hobby and you can always go to LV or Atlantic City for fun.  I go to LV three to four times a year and quite enough for me.  I get to gamble through local books on line and stay in paradise although lots of locals move to LV becauseof the high cost of living here.  Will be there visiting in late Oct. to visit classmates and to see a neighbor who moved away.  Got family that moved there also but not so close with them, cousins but hardly know them.  Every trip I bump into people from here.  Most say home is where you make it.  LV gets hot and cold.  Both climate and gambling.


    Yeah I haven't decided anything yet, I guess I just want to go to LV really bad, maybe going 3-5 times a year would be enough to itch that scratch. As for betting I will only be able to gamble online in Delaware for about 4 months before graduate and go back to NJ. I hear they are trying to make online gambling legal in NJ soon so that would be great. I also bet through a local bookie cuz he pays me in cash every single week and there are no withdraw fees and I get 100% of my winnings. Also he has good lines for me.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior:

    Post your picks and posters here will advise if you should leave or not.  Personally I would not.  If you have on line gaming then stay where you are, make a living in some career and save money while at home.  Gambling can be a side hobby and you can always go to LV or Atlantic City for fun.  I go to LV three to four times a year and quite enough for me.  I get to gamble through local books on line and stay in paradise although lots of locals move to LV becauseof the high cost of living here.  Will be there visiting in late Oct. to visit classmates and to see a neighbor who moved away.  Got family that moved there also but not so close with them, cousins but hardly know them.  Every trip I bump into people from here.  Most say home is where you make it.  LV gets hot and cold.  Both climate and gambling.


    Yeah I haven't decided anything yet, I guess I just want to go to LV really bad, maybe going 3-5 times a year would be enough to itch that scratch. As for betting I will only be able to gamble online in Delaware for about 4 months before graduate and go back to NJ. I hear they are trying to make online gambling legal in NJ soon so that would be great. I also bet through a local bookie cuz he pays me in cash every single week and there are no withdraw fees and I get 100% of my winnings. Also he has good lines for me.
     
    mbialowas
    mbialowas
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 4681
    Posted: Oct. 3, 2012 - 8:03 PM ET #129

    Quote Originally Posted by Qncyk1:

    you have to open a 5dimes account.

    i dont even want to tell you how much youve lost playing vegas lines. im with matchbook and pinnacle.

    you cant do this on a dialy basis and bet vegas lines.

    you just cant.

     

     

    Have to disagree. Vegas lines are good, sometimes better than the online, you just have to shop around

    Also, I know lots of people making a living, only betting at Vegas books

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Qncyk1:

    you have to open a 5dimes account.

    i dont even want to tell you how much youve lost playing vegas lines. im with matchbook and pinnacle.

    you cant do this on a dialy basis and bet vegas lines.

    you just cant.

     

     

    Have to disagree. Vegas lines are good, sometimes better than the online, you just have to shop around

    Also, I know lots of people making a living, only betting at Vegas books

     
    grins1010
    grins1010
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2009
    Posts: 321
    Posted: Oct. 8, 2012 - 5:11 PM ET #130

    Quote Originally Posted by mafioso:

    If you are going to rent an apartment the cheapest you will find is maybe a studio for around 500 a month

    so thats 6500 for the year including security deposit

    You will have Bills

    I will not have bills.

    I will have "the Bills at + 7.5" 

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by mafioso:

    If you are going to rent an apartment the cheapest you will find is maybe a studio for around 500 a month

    so thats 6500 for the year including security deposit

    You will have Bills

    I will not have bills.

    I will have "the Bills at + 7.5" 

     
    max-value
    max-value
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2009
    Posts: 85
    Posted: Oct. 9, 2012 - 2:29 PM ET #131

    Quote Originally Posted by mbialowas:

    Have to disagree. Vegas lines are good, sometimes better than the online, you just have to shop around

    Also, I know lots of people making a living, only betting at Vegas books


    What time do LV books put up lines for NFL/NCAAFB  ? Sunday night? or Monday morning?
    and do early lines have a smaller limits?
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by mbialowas:

    Have to disagree. Vegas lines are good, sometimes better than the online, you just have to shop around

    Also, I know lots of people making a living, only betting at Vegas books


    What time do LV books put up lines for NFL/NCAAFB  ? Sunday night? or Monday morning?
    and do early lines have a smaller limits?
     
    bigvern1013
    bigvern1013
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 3051
    Posted: Oct. 9, 2012 - 5:40 PM ET #132

    Quote Originally Posted by vlps5122:

    just stumbled upon this thread, hope you are doing well and succeeding newyorkslim. I have watched sports my whole life and have played poker since i was about 11 or 12. I havent played poker for money in about 2 years. I am now a senior in college and as a sophomore i played some cash games about 3-4 times a week against 25+ year olds and made some good money over course of the winter. Ive always wanted to get into sports betting and i finally just started with the start of the nfl season. I am up $600 so far with $50 bets (sometimes $100 bets) in 1 months time. My win rate is 60%. this dream you are living newyorkslim would be my dream as well. i am 8 months away from graduating with an accounting and finance degree and my parents are expecting me to become a cpa and sit in a cubicle all day being bored out of my mind. I have about $20k in my savings account, which my parents would probably be extremely dissapointed with me if i decided to try and make it in vegas and live this lifestyle. they have always dissaporved of me playing poker but they stopped nagging me over it when i usually came home with more money then i left the home with. man, i just dont feel like the 9-5 lifestyle is meant for me i feel different than most ppl in that regard. im going to keep betting through the nfl/ncaaf/nba/ncaab and also i go to school in delaware and online gambling will be legal come january so ill probly do some poker and maybe a little blackjack during my last semester before graduation. hey man i hope you make it out there and live a great life, i hope to join you come 1 year from now as a 22 yr old thats never been on his own doing something most ppl would consider crazy. good luck man.


    Interesting post.  It doesn't really matter, but your story is very similar to the path I followed....10 years ago.  I graduated college with a degree in Business Finance at age 22.... I bet on college football regularly and enjoyed it...then had a big decision to make.  I wanted to go to Vegas and set up shop betting college football and bartending...taking the proceeds and investing in the stock market and commodities markets.  My parents wanted me to become involved in the family construction business, and they did not believe there was any future in betting for a living.  So, I stayed local and went to work in the family business.

    It is funny, because sportsbetting and stock/commodity trading is always looked at as being hugely risky... basically, a fools game....  and 10 years ago building residential houses for resale was looked upon as a no-risk proposition.  Well, fast forward 10 years.  The family business is now defunct, and the assets that we worked so hard to build have been hugely devalued.  But the worst part is the time that was wasted doing something that was supposed to create a solid future, even though it made for a very unhappy present.

    In closing, I am not intending to give anyone advice here.  I am the last guy who's opinion is relevant on career path topics. What I will say is that absolutely NO ONE but you knows what is best for you.  If you do not want to work in a cubicle from 9-5 5 days a week, then fuck that.  Your parents will understand...it may take awhile, but they will get used to the idea.

    Good luck with your future, and your picks.   
    Never Make A Winner A Loser. Never.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vlps5122:

    just stumbled upon this thread, hope you are doing well and succeeding newyorkslim. I have watched sports my whole life and have played poker since i was about 11 or 12. I havent played poker for money in about 2 years. I am now a senior in college and as a sophomore i played some cash games about 3-4 times a week against 25+ year olds and made some good money over course of the winter. Ive always wanted to get into sports betting and i finally just started with the start of the nfl season. I am up $600 so far with $50 bets (sometimes $100 bets) in 1 months time. My win rate is 60%. this dream you are living newyorkslim would be my dream as well. i am 8 months away from graduating with an accounting and finance degree and my parents are expecting me to become a cpa and sit in a cubicle all day being bored out of my mind. I have about $20k in my savings account, which my parents would probably be extremely dissapointed with me if i decided to try and make it in vegas and live this lifestyle. they have always dissaporved of me playing poker but they stopped nagging me over it when i usually came home with more money then i left the home with. man, i just dont feel like the 9-5 lifestyle is meant for me i feel different than most ppl in that regard. im going to keep betting through the nfl/ncaaf/nba/ncaab and also i go to school in delaware and online gambling will be legal come january so ill probly do some poker and maybe a little blackjack during my last semester before graduation. hey man i hope you make it out there and live a great life, i hope to join you come 1 year from now as a 22 yr old thats never been on his own doing something most ppl would consider crazy. good luck man.


    Interesting post.  It doesn't really matter, but your story is very similar to the path I followed....10 years ago.  I graduated college with a degree in Business Finance at age 22.... I bet on college football regularly and enjoyed it...then had a big decision to make.  I wanted to go to Vegas and set up shop betting college football and bartending...taking the proceeds and investing in the stock market and commodities markets.  My parents wanted me to become involved in the family construction business, and they did not believe there was any future in betting for a living.  So, I stayed local and went to work in the family business.

    It is funny, because sportsbetting and stock/commodity trading is always looked at as being hugely risky... basically, a fools game....  and 10 years ago building residential houses for resale was looked upon as a no-risk proposition.  Well, fast forward 10 years.  The family business is now defunct, and the assets that we worked so hard to build have been hugely devalued.  But the worst part is the time that was wasted doing something that was supposed to create a solid future, even though it made for a very unhappy present.

    In closing, I am not intending to give anyone advice here.  I am the last guy who's opinion is relevant on career path topics. What I will say is that absolutely NO ONE but you knows what is best for you.  If you do not want to work in a cubicle from 9-5 5 days a week, then fuck that.  Your parents will understand...it may take awhile, but they will get used to the idea.

    Good luck with your future, and your picks.   
     
    Beergut
    Beergut
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 85
    Posted: Oct. 10, 2012 - 6:38 AM ET #133

    Wow, I'm amazed this thread is still kicking.

    Hope nyslim is still okay.

    vlps5122,

    There is no better time than once you first graduate to take a huge risk like that. Make a deal with your parents that you'll give yourself a year and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, you can always get a job in Vegas and gamble in your free time.
    Reply
    Wow, I'm amazed this thread is still kicking.

    Hope nyslim is still okay.

    vlps5122,

    There is no better time than once you first graduate to take a huge risk like that. Make a deal with your parents that you'll give yourself a year and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, you can always get a job in Vegas and gamble in your free time.
     
    Crashdavis565
    Crashdavis565
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 15772
    Posted: Oct. 10, 2012 - 9:18 AM ET #134

    big vern good post-

    Reply
    big vern good post-

     
    HardballHarry
    HardballHarry
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2008
    Posts: 48
    Posted: Oct. 10, 2012 - 5:47 PM ET #135

    Living the dream. Code for want to be a degenerate gambler. Its not different from an alcoholic who wants to live the dream by owning a tavern. The "dream" should be to use your skills to make a comfortable living. Doing what you want to do. 

    If you "need" to live in vegas to do this, you should rethink what it is you really want. 
    Reply
    Living the dream. Code for want to be a degenerate gambler. Its not different from an alcoholic who wants to live the dream by owning a tavern. The "dream" should be to use your skills to make a comfortable living. Doing what you want to do. 

    If you "need" to live in vegas to do this, you should rethink what it is you really want. 
     
    Zfreesportspick
    Zfreesportspick
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2010
    Posts: 5
    Posted: Oct. 10, 2012 - 6:21 PM ET #136

    Here is a thought,

    If you have 100k to start with, open a small retail business such as a tobacco/smoke shop with about 50k.  The money will not be great but most of the time, a tobacco/smoke shop will turn a profit.  Use the other 50k as your bankroll.

    I personally own a liquor store and I wager for fun.  I admit that I did not know about bankroll management in my early onset but the present is a gift and I am on my way to increasing my bankroll.  My one unit plays are $25 and I now stick to it.  I have imagined the "pro lifestyle" and I have accepted that it is not for me.  To those who chose to pursue gambling as to make a living, best of luck!
    Reply
    Here is a thought,

    If you have 100k to start with, open a small retail business such as a tobacco/smoke shop with about 50k.  The money will not be great but most of the time, a tobacco/smoke shop will turn a profit.  Use the other 50k as your bankroll.

    I personally own a liquor store and I wager for fun.  I admit that I did not know about bankroll management in my early onset but the present is a gift and I am on my way to increasing my bankroll.  My one unit plays are $25 and I now stick to it.  I have imagined the "pro lifestyle" and I have accepted that it is not for me.  To those who chose to pursue gambling as to make a living, best of luck!
     
    c_had38
    c_had38
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2012
    Posts: 244
    Posted: Oct. 10, 2012 - 11:54 PM ET #137

    To sit at a poker table and expect to make money long term, you first have to be good & play a game on par w/ your skill. A basic rule of thumb is that you need @ least 100 x's the max bet to weather the unavoidable ups and downs and have the cash on hand to take advantage of favorable conditions when they DO arise, i.e. $1000 to sit 5/10 Hold 'em 

    I don't even know what kind of a bankroll you'd need to play poker to try to make a living at it, for instance, which is why I didn't specify the game. 

    I appreciate your replies, though, at least you put some thought into it. 
    [/Quote]
    Reply
    To sit at a poker table and expect to make money long term, you first have to be good & play a game on par w/ your skill. A basic rule of thumb is that you need @ least 100 x's the max bet to weather the unavoidable ups and downs and have the cash on hand to take advantage of favorable conditions when they DO arise, i.e. $1000 to sit 5/10 Hold 'em 

    I don't even know what kind of a bankroll you'd need to play poker to try to make a living at it, for instance, which is why I didn't specify the game. 

    I appreciate your replies, though, at least you put some thought into it. 
    [/Quote]
     
    LabbyKing
    LabbyKing
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2012
    Posts: 293
    Posted: Oct. 11, 2012 - 4:06 PM ET #138

    A couple people mentioned winning $100 a day is not reasonable.  I could win $100/day without a problem.  Hoping to figure out a way to get it down on paper so others can benefit from it sometime soon.

    Best of luck to you beergut.  I hope that you can live the dream at some point!!


    Reply
    A couple people mentioned winning $100 a day is not reasonable.  I could win $100/day without a problem.  Hoping to figure out a way to get it down on paper so others can benefit from it sometime soon.

    Best of luck to you beergut.  I hope that you can live the dream at some point!!


     
    ShadowWarrior
    ShadowWarrior
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 7112
    Posted: Oct. 12, 2012 - 2:14 PM ET #139

    Please show us how to win 100 dollars a day. In sports wagering I would say not possible.  If you are speaking other ventures like poker, horse racing, black jack then I may see it but everyday.  Not likely to me.  I have had winning weeks and losing weeks and winning months and losing months, but never only winning weeks and winning months.  If you have the formula, I suggest you do not share it because you would be banned.
    Reply
    Please show us how to win 100 dollars a day. In sports wagering I would say not possible.  If you are speaking other ventures like poker, horse racing, black jack then I may see it but everyday.  Not likely to me.  I have had winning weeks and losing weeks and winning months and losing months, but never only winning weeks and winning months.  If you have the formula, I suggest you do not share it because you would be banned.
     
    LabbyKing
    LabbyKing
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2012
    Posts: 293
    Posted: Oct. 12, 2012 - 9:53 PM ET #140

    It's definitely not possible in sports betting.  You can average $100/day in sports betting but you can't consistently win $100/day.  You can do it at any game where you can get close to 50% odds....BJ, craps, etc.  BJ is the easiest way to do it.
    Reply
    It's definitely not possible in sports betting.  You can average $100/day in sports betting but you can't consistently win $100/day.  You can do it at any game where you can get close to 50% odds....BJ, craps, etc.  BJ is the easiest way to do it.
     
    Johnnybad
    Johnnybad
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 659
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2012 - 12:11 PM ET #141

    Quote Originally Posted by jecht:

    If you have a lifetime 24hr fitness membership there will be no rent expenses.



    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by jecht:

    If you have a lifetime 24hr fitness membership there will be no rent expenses.



     
    Johnnybad
    Johnnybad
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 659
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2012 - 1:26 PM ET #142

    Great topic... I too share this vision of "Living the Dream". I've been planning on moving out to Vegas for a few years now. I heard about the Griffin Book or Blacklist data base that is held by Griffin Investigations. Does anyone have feed back on this? I assume that if your going to different casino's and only winning a few hundred dollars a day you shouldn't have to big a target on your back. Also read on Wikipedia that the more you win in a casino the less comps they give you or they start to take away your comps. Wikipedia has a wealth of information about this. Somewhere it specifically says that Sharp bettors, advantage betters, and arbitrage bettor can get on this list. 

    This is str8 from wiki

    "In the Griffin Book, published by 
    Griffin Investigations, listed individuals are generally suspected of being, or known to be, either advantage players or outright cheaters at the casino games themselves. Thus, casinos find it in their own economic best interest to exclude such individuals. Those listed may be anyone perceived as a threat to the casino's profits, including those that use legal and illegal means, such as card counters, people who mark cards, those who try to cheat slot machines or anyone else considered a threat to a casino, including players that the casinos believe are winning too much or too often."

    Please advise?
    Reply
    Great topic... I too share this vision of "Living the Dream". I've been planning on moving out to Vegas for a few years now. I heard about the Griffin Book or Blacklist data base that is held by Griffin Investigations. Does anyone have feed back on this? I assume that if your going to different casino's and only winning a few hundred dollars a day you shouldn't have to big a target on your back. Also read on Wikipedia that the more you win in a casino the less comps they give you or they start to take away your comps. Wikipedia has a wealth of information about this. Somewhere it specifically says that Sharp bettors, advantage betters, and arbitrage bettor can get on this list. 

    This is str8 from wiki

    "In the Griffin Book, published by 
    Griffin Investigations, listed individuals are generally suspected of being, or known to be, either advantage players or outright cheaters at the casino games themselves. Thus, casinos find it in their own economic best interest to exclude such individuals. Those listed may be anyone perceived as a threat to the casino's profits, including those that use legal and illegal means, such as card counters, people who mark cards, those who try to cheat slot machines or anyone else considered a threat to a casino, including players that the casinos believe are winning too much or too often."

    Please advise?
     
    allicat
    allicat
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1331
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2012 - 9:12 PM ET #143

    Reply

     
    T_Rav1088
    T_Rav1088
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 847
    Posted: Oct. 15, 2012 - 3:04 AM ET #144

    1. He's not gonna get blackbooked unless he's cheating at some sort of game...

    2. Nobody who's target goal is a bill a day is gonna fall under their category as a 'sharp' period.

    3. I'm not sure what the OPs intentions are.  When you say $100 a day, do you mean 100 each and every single day, or like an average over the course of a year.  If you're betting for a single goal that day you're in shit.  You should be betting when you see value and the plays are good.  Chasing money is just a poor idea.  If your end game is just an average, then the people telling you it isn't possible are just dumb.  Lets assume 100 is 1 unit.  On a given saturday you can clear several units.  Other than money management there's no system.  Just know your shit and its more than possible.

    Reply

    1. He's not gonna get blackbooked unless he's cheating at some sort of game...

    2. Nobody who's target goal is a bill a day is gonna fall under their category as a 'sharp' period.

    3. I'm not sure what the OPs intentions are.  When you say $100 a day, do you mean 100 each and every single day, or like an average over the course of a year.  If you're betting for a single goal that day you're in shit.  You should be betting when you see value and the plays are good.  Chasing money is just a poor idea.  If your end game is just an average, then the people telling you it isn't possible are just dumb.  Lets assume 100 is 1 unit.  On a given saturday you can clear several units.  Other than money management there's no system.  Just know your shit and its more than possible.

     
    bigbooze
    bigbooze
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2011
    Posts: 53
    Posted: Oct. 15, 2012 - 2:33 PM ET #145

    about to visit vegas next week is LVH hotel & casino a nice spot. flight & room 685 for a week is that a good deal from detroit to vegas
    Reply
    about to visit vegas next week is LVH hotel & casino a nice spot. flight & room 685 for a week is that a good deal from detroit to vegas
     
    SweetLou15
    SweetLou15
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2007
    Posts: 118
    Posted: Oct. 15, 2012 - 3:38 PM ET #146

    LVH is only good for weekend sportsbetting. Way too far from the strip and all the action. You will waste $30-40/day on cabs to leave the hotel. Terrible location. My advice is to change to a strip hotel even if it costs you a few more dollars, well worth it. You will regret having to go back to the Hilton every day you are playing on the strip.

    Reply

    LVH is only good for weekend sportsbetting. Way too far from the strip and all the action. You will waste $30-40/day on cabs to leave the hotel. Terrible location. My advice is to change to a strip hotel even if it costs you a few more dollars, well worth it. You will regret having to go back to the Hilton every day you are playing on the strip.

     
    bigbooze
    bigbooze
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2011
    Posts: 53
    Posted: Oct. 15, 2012 - 4:26 PM ET #147

    thanks lou, do u know anything about imperial palace or super8 koval there off strip & pretty cheap
    Reply
    thanks lou, do u know anything about imperial palace or super8 koval there off strip & pretty cheap
     
    LabbyKing
    LabbyKing
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2012
    Posts: 293
    Posted: Oct. 15, 2012 - 5:22 PM ET #148

    Harrah's is cheap and right in the middle.  I will be out there the 26-29th.
    Reply
    Harrah's is cheap and right in the middle.  I will be out there the 26-29th.
     
    Nicky123
    Nicky123
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 688
    Posted: Oct. 15, 2012 - 6:01 PM ET #149

    The LVH is not that far away.  There is a tram that you can take back and forth from several spots on the east side of the strip.  Enjoy your trip.
    Reply
    The LVH is not that far away.  There is a tram that you can take back and forth from several spots on the east side of the strip.  Enjoy your trip.
     
     
    mgmprofits
    mgmprofits
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 6659
    Posted: Oct. 15, 2012 - 6:38 PM ET #150

    Quote Originally Posted by mafioso:

    Let me clarify

    If you are going to rent an apartment the cheapest you will find is maybe a studio for around 500 a month

    so thats 6500 for the year including security deposit

    You will have Bills

    Electric,gas,cable and or satalite, phone and internet with the summers and winters lets say your total for these bills is another 300 per month

    thats 3600 per year

    You will need a car, Lets say your car is payed off just to be nice with insurance and gas and maintenence you are looking at 300 per month

    thats another 3600 for the year

    now food, dining in dining out going out to movies, dating once in a while if you have a life say another 400 per month, Im being ultra conservative here on a tight ass budget

    thats 4800 per year

    add medical insurance another 150 per month thats 1800 per year

    from bottom to top

    1800

    4800

    3600

    3600

    6500

    thats 20K to 23K depending on your life style

    Now in order for you to have a chance in hell of being successfull You will need that money just to live on for 12 calender months

    Now you need a bankroll

    trying to win 100 per day is not feasable Its just not

    You will have to be ultra selective and bet a nickle a game until you reach a desired goal for the month a desired goal would be 3k

    Pay attention here its the most valuable lesson in this reply

    You need to come up atleast 7 wagers won over the wagers you lost.

    You are giving yourself 30 calender days to reach this goal, its the only way to make this type of move without going bust

    so 500 a day is what you must have for wagering with the swings of wins and losses you need 500 a day x 60 days atleast 30K

    so I was wrong when I said 100K You need atleast 50K

    thats my opinion and in my case if I ever decided to do something so irresponsible I have a family, I would need atleast 150K because my expenses are double to tripple.

    But good luck.


    Well the portion you wrote about making $100 per day not being possible...This is simply untrue.

    Anyone can make an easy $100 per day out here (or much more)if you have a professional system as I do.

    In other words, the minimum to live the dream would be $0. You do not need a dime to start. But obviously unless you wish to be homeless I'd recommend enough to rent a place, as well as for food and bankroll. The bankroll required for my Holy Grail system is only $150 to start. 

    I have never lost in the long term with it. It works consistently, so the problem with most people out here is that they don't know how to play or win. That is why it costs them so much. Las Vegas is actually one of the cheaper places to live in the country, so if you're not a loser, this is a good place to come and live.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by mafioso:

    Let me clarify

    If you are going to rent an apartment the cheapest you will find is maybe a studio for around 500 a month

    so thats 6500 for the year including security deposit

    You will have Bills

    Electric,gas,cable and or satalite, phone and internet with the summers and winters lets say your total for these bills is another 300 per month

    thats 3600 per year

    You will need a car, Lets say your car is payed off just to be nice with insurance and gas and maintenence you are looking at 300 per month

    thats another 3600 for the year

    now food, dining in dining out going out to movies, dating once in a while if you have a life say another 400 per month, Im being ultra conservative here on a tight ass budget

    thats 4800 per year

    add medical insurance another 150 per month thats 1800 per year

    from bottom to top

    1800

    4800

    3600

    3600

    6500

    thats 20K to 23K depending on your life style

    Now in order for you to have a chance in hell of being successfull You will need that money just to live on for 12 calender months

    Now you need a bankroll

    trying to win 100 per day is not feasable Its just not

    You will have to be ultra selective and bet a nickle a game until you reach a desired goal for the month a desired goal would be 3k

    Pay attention here its the most valuable lesson in this reply

    You need to come up atleast 7 wagers won over the wagers you lost.

    You are giving yourself 30 calender days to reach this goal, its the only way to make this type of move without going bust

    so 500 a day is what you must have for wagering with the swings of wins and losses you need 500 a day x 60 days atleast 30K

    so I was wrong when I said 100K You need atleast 50K

    thats my opinion and in my case if I ever decided to do something so irresponsible I have a family, I would need atleast 150K because my expenses are double to tripple.

    But good luck.


    Well the portion you wrote about making $100 per day not being possible...This is simply untrue.

    Anyone can make an easy $100 per day out here (or much more)if you have a professional system as I do.

    In other words, the minimum to live the dream would be $0. You do not need a dime to start. But obviously unless you wish to be homeless I'd recommend enough to rent a place, as well as for food and bankroll. The bankroll required for my Holy Grail system is only $150 to start. 

    I have never lost in the long term with it. It works consistently, so the problem with most people out here is that they don't know how to play or win. That is why it costs them so much. Las Vegas is actually one of the cheaper places to live in the country, so if you're not a loser, this is a good place to come and live.
    All Forums | Las Vegas
    «First Previous 678 ... 181920 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,365
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,989
    • PART DEUX 166
    • Week 6 Money 9,392
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 856
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,795
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 438
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,536
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,277
    • Friday 10/09/2026 365

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.