Posted:
#76
There's always the chance that he'll try the old "I'll tell your wife" if you don't pay up, and she will definitely find out if you do, so you're screwed either way there.
Look you're obviously new to this and when I was I had a shady bookie experience too but I was too dumb to know better. I would never in my life bet on credit with a local guy again. I don't have to though because I can bet on sports legally in my country.
Don't pay him. You said he's a respected businessman with a huge lawn business so he has a lot more to lose than you if this gets ugly and gets out. His business is all based on local people's opinions too.
He is definitely scamming you and waited to see if that bet won or lost before pretending he thought it was a typo. Stick to your story like was said earlier that he never discussed any limits. Tell him that as far as you're concerned you're up 5k and that the text saying 'Giants was 2k right?' is a complete joke since the game was over. Tell him he obviously would have been happy for it to be 20k if it had lost. Ask him how would he like it if you turned around and said all your losing bets on Saturday were for 200 not 2k? It's bull spit. Tell him you know that there's no hope of you getting your 5k since he only wanted to scam you the whole time so you're taking your business elswehere.
Only don't take your business elsewhere. You have no skills in either picking winners or managing money, the latter of which is the most important thing a bettor needs. You have a nice life, why do this now? Quit gambling immediately. It can be a thrill but it's not something you pick up overnight.
I've been betting 15 years and went through some painful lessons before I started to get even semi good at it, and I still have losing days or weeks. But I can handle it because I learned not to chase losses and manage my bankroll and not get buried even if I have a bad streak. You don't want to have to learn those lessons the hard way. More importantly, you don't want to lose your wife and all the nice things you have.
Tell this scumbag to go eff himself. Strap up if you're worried. Don't meet him in person unless it's somewhere with cameras and witnesses in abundance.
