• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | NFL Betting Forum

    Sports can be brutal sometimes broke again

    «First Previous 12345
    DefenseWinsSB
    Saul789
    pederson16
    Redlad
    kamphil
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3081
    Posts: 108
    «First Previous 12345
     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Oct. 4, 2023 - 4:20 PM ET #101

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Quote Originally Posted by LGD: Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsSB: I try so many things affiliate marketing, social media, build my own website and try to get traffic, blog, session guitarist. Play gigs as well. Nothing works. That’s why I feel forced to gamble I feel like I have no way of building my money How about a job? I'm sorry but all this sounds like trying to find an easy way to make a lot of money (just like gambling is). There is no easy way. Gambling clearly doesn't work for you if you tried for 15 years (probably longer than anything else of the things you mentioned or any other job) and just ended up losing money every year. I get it, it's an addiction. But stop complaining and try to find a way out instead of excuses to keep going like this. I mean, you say yourself you're broke, sick and depressed because of this. Then why try to keep doing it? Cause you maybe hit a winning streak? And then do what with the money? Try to make more of it a put it on some bets? You're 35. You still have enough time to have a proper life without throwing money away at bets. Anybody can gamble.  It takes work to gamble profitably. The current human disease is work.  Everyone wants no work and lots of success. If you work, gambling can be profitable.  If everyone at covers spent the same amount of effort in learning and working as they do complaining and avoiding - they would be profitable.
    so van is this implying your working a normal job and gambling on the side? I believe everyone has a normal job. I work a normal job yes. I work gig jobs right now 20 hours a week rideshare and 20 to 30 hours a week doing handyman work and convention work combined. Sports always gets me one way or the other. So I usually save a bankroll 5k to 10k in a year this year I saved a lot for me because I make low wages. I did a ton of off season study and I was learning data science and some regression algorithm stuff. I saw you mention the standard deviation as well so I was researching that too. I certainly put in a ton of work but the thing they don’t mention is literally going like 5-22 , 5 wins and 20 losses. I was betting very aggressive but I didn’t go all in on one bet. I really don’t see anything I did all that bad except next time be conservative. I will go back and study more but chances are this time after seeing the tax situation it’s just not worth it

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Quote Originally Posted by LGD: Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsSB: I try so many things affiliate marketing, social media, build my own website and try to get traffic, blog, session guitarist. Play gigs as well. Nothing works. That’s why I feel forced to gamble I feel like I have no way of building my money How about a job? I'm sorry but all this sounds like trying to find an easy way to make a lot of money (just like gambling is). There is no easy way. Gambling clearly doesn't work for you if you tried for 15 years (probably longer than anything else of the things you mentioned or any other job) and just ended up losing money every year. I get it, it's an addiction. But stop complaining and try to find a way out instead of excuses to keep going like this. I mean, you say yourself you're broke, sick and depressed because of this. Then why try to keep doing it? Cause you maybe hit a winning streak? And then do what with the money? Try to make more of it a put it on some bets? You're 35. You still have enough time to have a proper life without throwing money away at bets. Anybody can gamble.  It takes work to gamble profitably. The current human disease is work.  Everyone wants no work and lots of success. If you work, gambling can be profitable.  If everyone at covers spent the same amount of effort in learning and working as they do complaining and avoiding - they would be profitable.
    so van is this implying your working a normal job and gambling on the side? I believe everyone has a normal job. I work a normal job yes. I work gig jobs right now 20 hours a week rideshare and 20 to 30 hours a week doing handyman work and convention work combined. Sports always gets me one way or the other. So I usually save a bankroll 5k to 10k in a year this year I saved a lot for me because I make low wages. I did a ton of off season study and I was learning data science and some regression algorithm stuff. I saw you mention the standard deviation as well so I was researching that too. I certainly put in a ton of work but the thing they don’t mention is literally going like 5-22 , 5 wins and 20 losses. I was betting very aggressive but I didn’t go all in on one bet. I really don’t see anything I did all that bad except next time be conservative. I will go back and study more but chances are this time after seeing the tax situation it’s just not worth it

     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Oct. 4, 2023 - 4:24 PM ET #102

    no one can beat this tax situation because bringing up you have to win 55% to be a true winner picking -110 teams right. Well with taxes thrown in after 600 profit doesn’t that number go up another few percentage points van? I know plenty of handicappers are probably trying to find ways not to pay and hey power to ya but I would be very scared if this new tax law. I will never have to worry about winning and paying taxes lmao

    Reply

    no one can beat this tax situation because bringing up you have to win 55% to be a true winner picking -110 teams right. Well with taxes thrown in after 600 profit doesn’t that number go up another few percentage points van? I know plenty of handicappers are probably trying to find ways not to pay and hey power to ya but I would be very scared if this new tax law. I will never have to worry about winning and paying taxes lmao

     
    Saul789
    Saul789
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2023
    Posts: 41
    Posted: Oct. 4, 2023 - 7:08 PM ET #103

    I was listening to a radio show one of the co host a former NFL offensive lineman who gambles. 

    He gave great advice.

     

    He said when he sees someone who’s betting dozens of games a week he sees a losing gambler. 

    His philosophy was if you pay good attention to the spreads and the teams then 1 or 2 times a week you can find a gimme.  That’s how he succeeds at it. 

    Reply

    I was listening to a radio show one of the co host a former NFL offensive lineman who gambles. 

    He gave great advice.

     

    He said when he sees someone who’s betting dozens of games a week he sees a losing gambler. 

    His philosophy was if you pay good attention to the spreads and the teams then 1 or 2 times a week you can find a gimme.  That’s how he succeeds at it. 

     
    pederson16
    pederson16
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 7359
    Posted: Oct. 5, 2023 - 12:59 AM ET #104

    this thread is useless without pictures
    Reply
    this thread is useless without pictures
     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Oct. 5, 2023 - 12:44 PM ET #105

    Quote Originally Posted by Saul789:

    I was listening to a radio show one of the co host a former NFL offensive lineman who gambles.  He gave great advice.   He said when he sees someone who’s betting dozens of games a week he sees a losing gambler.  His philosophy was if you pay good attention to the spreads and the teams then 1 or 2 times a week you can find a gimme.  That’s how he succeeds at it.
    um it’s prolly bad to load up on 1 or 2 teams a week that’s exactly what I was doing thinking I had this EINSTEIN play no one else had. That’s why I’m down so much bc of loading up on 1 or 2 plays a week. I honestly don’t think it’s a great strategy. I mean I’m not saying it won’t work for you but that’s what I’ve been doing and it sucks waiting all week just to lose big and then again and lose. It’s what got me on tilt

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Saul789:

    I was listening to a radio show one of the co host a former NFL offensive lineman who gambles.  He gave great advice.   He said when he sees someone who’s betting dozens of games a week he sees a losing gambler.  His philosophy was if you pay good attention to the spreads and the teams then 1 or 2 times a week you can find a gimme.  That’s how he succeeds at it.
    um it’s prolly bad to load up on 1 or 2 teams a week that’s exactly what I was doing thinking I had this EINSTEIN play no one else had. That’s why I’m down so much bc of loading up on 1 or 2 plays a week. I honestly don’t think it’s a great strategy. I mean I’m not saying it won’t work for you but that’s what I’ve been doing and it sucks waiting all week just to lose big and then again and lose. It’s what got me on tilt

     
    Redlad
    Redlad
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2001
    Posts: 6822
    Posted: Oct. 5, 2023 - 1:02 PM ET #106

    Can someone please end this thread?

    Reply

    Can someone please end this thread?

     
    kamphil
    kamphil
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 558
    Posted: Oct. 5, 2023 - 1:33 PM ET #107

    QUIT betting on sports   OR    If you like the Washington Commander tonite, bet the Bears.    I have made lots of money betting against mushes like you.   Brutal I know.....so is you losing all your money.   Sick of threads like this.   You are a big boy.   Own up to your mistakes.    You will never quit.

    Reply

    QUIT betting on sports   OR    If you like the Washington Commander tonite, bet the Bears.    I have made lots of money betting against mushes like you.   Brutal I know.....so is you losing all your money.   Sick of threads like this.   You are a big boy.   Own up to your mistakes.    You will never quit.

     
     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Oct. 5, 2023 - 1:35 PM ET #108

    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsSB:

    Quote Originally Posted by Saul789: I was listening to a radio show one of the co host a former NFL offensive lineman who gambles.  He gave great advice.   He said when he sees someone who’s betting dozens of games a week he sees a losing gambler.  His philosophy was if you pay good attention to the spreads and the teams then 1 or 2 times a week you can find a gimme.  That’s how he succeeds at it.um it’s prolly bad to load up on 1 or 2 teams a week that’s exactly what I was doing thinking I had this EINSTEIN play no one else had. That’s why I’m down so much bc of loading up on 1 or 2 plays a week. I honestly don’t think it’s a great strategy. I mean I’m not saying it won’t work for you but that’s what I’ve been doing and it sucks waiting all week just to lose big and then again and lose. It’s what got me on tilt

    Nobody said anything about " loading up" .   At least half of  succeeding at this gambling thing comes down to "money management" IMO. 

     

     

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsSB:

    Quote Originally Posted by Saul789: I was listening to a radio show one of the co host a former NFL offensive lineman who gambles.  He gave great advice.   He said when he sees someone who’s betting dozens of games a week he sees a losing gambler.  His philosophy was if you pay good attention to the spreads and the teams then 1 or 2 times a week you can find a gimme.  That’s how he succeeds at it.um it’s prolly bad to load up on 1 or 2 teams a week that’s exactly what I was doing thinking I had this EINSTEIN play no one else had. That’s why I’m down so much bc of loading up on 1 or 2 plays a week. I honestly don’t think it’s a great strategy. I mean I’m not saying it won’t work for you but that’s what I’ve been doing and it sucks waiting all week just to lose big and then again and lose. It’s what got me on tilt

    Nobody said anything about " loading up" .   At least half of  succeeding at this gambling thing comes down to "money management" IMO. 

     

     

    All Forums | NFL Betting Forum
    «First Previous 12345

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,248
    • Thursday 10/01/2026 753
    • PART DEUX 207
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,993
    • Steelers vs Browns in-game live TNF 2,102
    • Cleveland Bettors 2,566
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 103,202
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 12,117
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 29,939
    • Happening just recently . . . 36,843

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.