• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | NFL Betting Forum

    Sports can be brutal sometimes broke again

    «First Previous 12345 Next Last»
    DefenseWinsSB
    KingRGIII
    Battalion74
    Phillip2002
    LGD
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3081
    Posts: 108
    «First Previous 12345 Next Last»
     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Oct. 1, 2023 - 11:10 PM ET #51

    Quote Originally Posted by KingRGIII:

    Just understand that most on Covers gets destroyed on the weekly. All the losing you see on these posts, take that and triple it because these guys are chasing loses and they just don't post them.  However you are in luck. I have my WNBA Finals Game of the Year coming up later on this week so you can get it in early. Play as much as you possibly can, I don't lose these games man.  Until then please don't follow the masses.
    thanks brother

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by KingRGIII:

    Just understand that most on Covers gets destroyed on the weekly. All the losing you see on these posts, take that and triple it because these guys are chasing loses and they just don't post them.  However you are in luck. I have my WNBA Finals Game of the Year coming up later on this week so you can get it in early. Play as much as you possibly can, I don't lose these games man.  Until then please don't follow the masses.
    thanks brother

     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Oct. 1, 2023 - 11:11 PM ET #52

    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPlays:

    Baseball has such a high sample size their models and algorithms have pretty much solved.. You can probably win picking your spots by only betting with niche player props.. but as far as the totals or sides go... their lines are too efficient... 10% of poker players are good enough to win long term... and for sports bettors I am guessing it is under 1%... thats how good their lines are... and id be surprised if it is even possible to have an edge betting sides or totals in baseball. Of the mainstream sports College football, college basketball and MMA have some of the highest win rates for sports bettors... so if you stick to one of those long enough you should get good at in and be able to win or at least break even. The hardest part is the psychological part, which EVERYONE is prone too. Its very hard (when you take a few bad beats in a row) to not increase your unit size. In poker you can  grind your way out of a mess if you took a bad beat and are a winning player... NFL betting you have to wait an entire week and its very tough on you psychologically. Don't be too down. When I was younger I lost unfathomable amounts betting good chunks of my net worth on games lol.. If you know you are psychologically prone to always double down when you lose then just decrease your unit size to play amounts of money and document your bets.. It won't be fun at first.. but after a few weeks you will start to care more about your win percentage than the money... I know it hurts now but you'll get over it.
    goodpost

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPlays:

    Baseball has such a high sample size their models and algorithms have pretty much solved.. You can probably win picking your spots by only betting with niche player props.. but as far as the totals or sides go... their lines are too efficient... 10% of poker players are good enough to win long term... and for sports bettors I am guessing it is under 1%... thats how good their lines are... and id be surprised if it is even possible to have an edge betting sides or totals in baseball. Of the mainstream sports College football, college basketball and MMA have some of the highest win rates for sports bettors... so if you stick to one of those long enough you should get good at in and be able to win or at least break even. The hardest part is the psychological part, which EVERYONE is prone too. Its very hard (when you take a few bad beats in a row) to not increase your unit size. In poker you can  grind your way out of a mess if you took a bad beat and are a winning player... NFL betting you have to wait an entire week and its very tough on you psychologically. Don't be too down. When I was younger I lost unfathomable amounts betting good chunks of my net worth on games lol.. If you know you are psychologically prone to always double down when you lose then just decrease your unit size to play amounts of money and document your bets.. It won't be fun at first.. but after a few weeks you will start to care more about your win percentage than the money... I know it hurts now but you'll get over it.
    goodpost

     
    KingRGIII
    KingRGIII
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 9042
    Posted: Oct. 1, 2023 - 11:14 PM ET #53

    With all that you said about gambling,  who do you like tomorrow on Monday Night Football? bigsmile

    Reply

    With all that you said about gambling,  who do you like tomorrow on Monday Night Football? bigsmile

     
    Battalion74
    Battalion74
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2015
    Posts: 1215
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 9:07 AM ET #54

    You're missing something in your life and you're trying to fill that void.  Is it the money that you're chasing, the fame, fortune?  Strip it down and ask yourself that question...  Why do I do it?  If it's the urge, the rush and you can't control it, then you are ill.  When you're not well, what do you do?  You get help.  So go get help.

    Not sick, just bad luck?  Then put your efforts elsewhere; be smart about it.  Go for walks, get out of the house when the urge kicks in.  Don't watch the television.  There are little things you can do to distract you brain for just a moment to settle that burning desire.  You obviously understand money management, bankrolls, handicapping, etc.  It's also obvious you're not good at any of it.  Sort it out.

    You don't want a lecture but the fact is you're not good at this and never will be.  Billy Walters new book (I've read it) glorifies his life and makes it seem like it's a matter of will.  Fight and never lose hope...  But you're no Billy Walters, but none of us are.  He's the Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Tom Brady of his profession.  One in a billion.  You have better odds winning the lottery than to get to their heights.  He says in his book he got $20 million up front for telling his story.  $20 million...

    Quit.  That's the best advice you'll ever get.  You're a man, do what you gotta do to make yourself whole.

    Reply

    You're missing something in your life and you're trying to fill that void.  Is it the money that you're chasing, the fame, fortune?  Strip it down and ask yourself that question...  Why do I do it?  If it's the urge, the rush and you can't control it, then you are ill.  When you're not well, what do you do?  You get help.  So go get help.

    Not sick, just bad luck?  Then put your efforts elsewhere; be smart about it.  Go for walks, get out of the house when the urge kicks in.  Don't watch the television.  There are little things you can do to distract you brain for just a moment to settle that burning desire.  You obviously understand money management, bankrolls, handicapping, etc.  It's also obvious you're not good at any of it.  Sort it out.

    You don't want a lecture but the fact is you're not good at this and never will be.  Billy Walters new book (I've read it) glorifies his life and makes it seem like it's a matter of will.  Fight and never lose hope...  But you're no Billy Walters, but none of us are.  He's the Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Tom Brady of his profession.  One in a billion.  You have better odds winning the lottery than to get to their heights.  He says in his book he got $20 million up front for telling his story.  $20 million...

    Quit.  That's the best advice you'll ever get.  You're a man, do what you gotta do to make yourself whole.

     
    Phillip2002
    Phillip2002
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2018
    Posts: 2888
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 10:17 AM ET #55

    Lots of good stuff commented here but I will add one thing. 

    Change your expectations. I think the reason you are so down bad is because you, as most people, think you can make money betting and make enough to be considered good at it. The sad reality - 95% of people cant even profit over 5 days, let alone months, etc. 

    Just enjoy it and remember that you are playing a losing game. Find a way to enjoy it, if you cannot then stop. 

    Think of this as a restaurant. You go and spend money and hope you get a good experience and good food. Same here. You place bets and hope they win but what you should be hoping for is a good experience and a fun night. 

    Reply

    Lots of good stuff commented here but I will add one thing. 

    Change your expectations. I think the reason you are so down bad is because you, as most people, think you can make money betting and make enough to be considered good at it. The sad reality - 95% of people cant even profit over 5 days, let alone months, etc. 

    Just enjoy it and remember that you are playing a losing game. Find a way to enjoy it, if you cannot then stop. 

    Think of this as a restaurant. You go and spend money and hope you get a good experience and good food. Same here. You place bets and hope they win but what you should be hoping for is a good experience and a fun night. 

     
    LGD
    LGD
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 368
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 11:23 AM ET #56

    Unlike a lot here (I guess) I'm not betting professionally. It's a hobby for me and I'm not betting big money. Just on a very few occasions I bet high 3 digits or more (Not even possible that often here in Europe). Especially I don't bet money that I can't afford to lose. I don't bet on teams that I like (well sometimes I do but mostly I lose those bets so there's no point in betting them). And I never ever bet drunk or when in a bad mood.

    I'm sorry but if it's making you sick and depressed, stop betting. It's not for you or it's been too much for you. If you can't stop, get help. Bankroll management is a good thing, but you passed that point apparently.

    Reply

    Unlike a lot here (I guess) I'm not betting professionally. It's a hobby for me and I'm not betting big money. Just on a very few occasions I bet high 3 digits or more (Not even possible that often here in Europe). Especially I don't bet money that I can't afford to lose. I don't bet on teams that I like (well sometimes I do but mostly I lose those bets so there's no point in betting them). And I never ever bet drunk or when in a bad mood.

    I'm sorry but if it's making you sick and depressed, stop betting. It's not for you or it's been too much for you. If you can't stop, get help. Bankroll management is a good thing, but you passed that point apparently.

     
    tjtorok07
    tjtorok07
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 189
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 12:01 PM ET #57

    @DefenseWinsSB

     Stop watching sports for a year or 2 until that "only way to enjoy a game is if I have money on it" feeling goes away. Then pick a team, stick with that team and cheer them.

    Reply

    @DefenseWinsSB

     Stop watching sports for a year or 2 until that "only way to enjoy a game is if I have money on it" feeling goes away. Then pick a team, stick with that team and cheer them.

     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 12:21 PM ET #58

    Quote Originally Posted by nuggins:

    You're a lemon. Like a bad car. There is something... there is something inherently defective in you, and you, and you, and me, and all of us. We're all lemons. We look like everyone else, but what makes us different is our defect. See, most gamblers, when they go to gamble, they go to win. When we go to gamble, we go to lose. Subconsciously. Me, I never feel better than when they're raking the chips away; not bringing them in. And everyone here knows what I'm talking about. Hell, even when we win it's just a matter of time before we give it all back. But when we lose, that's another story. When we lose, and I'm talking about the kind of loss that makes your asshole pucker to the size of a decimal point - you know what I mean - You've just recreated the worst possible nightmare this side of malignant cancer, for the twentieth goddamn time; and you're standing there and you suddenly realise, Hey, I'm still... here. I'm still breathing. I'm still alive. Us lemons, we fuck shit up all the time on purpose. Because we constantly need to remind ourselves we're alive. Gambling's not your problem. It's this fucked up need to feel something. To convince yourself you exist. That's the problem.
    bro you made my entire year I am laughing so hard I just farted I think

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by nuggins:

    You're a lemon. Like a bad car. There is something... there is something inherently defective in you, and you, and you, and me, and all of us. We're all lemons. We look like everyone else, but what makes us different is our defect. See, most gamblers, when they go to gamble, they go to win. When we go to gamble, we go to lose. Subconsciously. Me, I never feel better than when they're raking the chips away; not bringing them in. And everyone here knows what I'm talking about. Hell, even when we win it's just a matter of time before we give it all back. But when we lose, that's another story. When we lose, and I'm talking about the kind of loss that makes your asshole pucker to the size of a decimal point - you know what I mean - You've just recreated the worst possible nightmare this side of malignant cancer, for the twentieth goddamn time; and you're standing there and you suddenly realise, Hey, I'm still... here. I'm still breathing. I'm still alive. Us lemons, we fuck shit up all the time on purpose. Because we constantly need to remind ourselves we're alive. Gambling's not your problem. It's this fucked up need to feel something. To convince yourself you exist. That's the problem.
    bro you made my entire year I am laughing so hard I just farted I think

     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 12:22 PM ET #59

    Quote Originally Posted by KingRGIII:

    With all that you said about gambling,  who do you like tomorrow on Monday Night Football?
    seahawks lmfao but somehow I will scrounge up quarters under my dusty couch and put it on giants and be on here tonight asking the quickest way to sleep forever

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by KingRGIII:

    With all that you said about gambling,  who do you like tomorrow on Monday Night Football?
    seahawks lmfao but somehow I will scrounge up quarters under my dusty couch and put it on giants and be on here tonight asking the quickest way to sleep forever

     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 12:27 PM ET #60

    Quote Originally Posted by Battalion74:

    You're missing something in your life and you're trying to fill that void.  Is it the money that you're chasing, the fame, fortune?  Strip it down and ask yourself that question...  Why do I do it?  If it's the urge, the rush and you can't control it, then you are ill.  When you're not well, what do you do?  You get help.  So go get help. Not sick, just bad luck?  Then put your efforts elsewhere; be smart about it.  Go for walks, get out of the house when the urge kicks in.  Don't watch the television.  There are little things you can do to distract you brain for just a moment to settle that burning desire.  You obviously understand money management, bankrolls, handicapping, etc.  It's also obvious you're not good at any of it.  Sort it out. You don't want a lecture but the fact is you're not good at this and never will be.  Billy Walters new book (I've read it) glorifies his life and makes it seem like it's a matter of will.  Fight and never lose hope...  But you're no Billy Walters, but none of us are.  He's the Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Tom Brady of his profession.  One in a billion.  You have better odds winning the lottery than to get to their heights.  He says in his book he got $20 million up front for telling his story.  $20 million... Quit.  That's the best advice you'll ever get.  You're a man, do what you gotta do to make yourself whole.
    great post brother I love you guys are honestly helping me here. So it’s the money I’m chasing. In my eyes it’s like I have to get to a certain amount to validate something. Validate being a pro bettor? Having money? Finally making it? It’s something definitely like that. I totally understand money management but I don’t execute it. It’s like I’m so dumb sometimes I feel I can get past it just for a few months have a huge win streak and then start taking it easy. It never works like that. I swear all the times I thought I’m just gonna win 4 in a row and then calm down. I mean the thinking , my thinking, is seriously flawed. Yes, I was reading about Billy Walter’s and I had no idea how many times he went broke. It’s honestly a good story for me. He said he knew he had about a million to one shot at making it pro and somehow he did it. What alotta ppl fail to mention is he had computer programmers on his side. I think he was a runner for them this computer programming outfit.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Battalion74:

    You're missing something in your life and you're trying to fill that void.  Is it the money that you're chasing, the fame, fortune?  Strip it down and ask yourself that question...  Why do I do it?  If it's the urge, the rush and you can't control it, then you are ill.  When you're not well, what do you do?  You get help.  So go get help. Not sick, just bad luck?  Then put your efforts elsewhere; be smart about it.  Go for walks, get out of the house when the urge kicks in.  Don't watch the television.  There are little things you can do to distract you brain for just a moment to settle that burning desire.  You obviously understand money management, bankrolls, handicapping, etc.  It's also obvious you're not good at any of it.  Sort it out. You don't want a lecture but the fact is you're not good at this and never will be.  Billy Walters new book (I've read it) glorifies his life and makes it seem like it's a matter of will.  Fight and never lose hope...  But you're no Billy Walters, but none of us are.  He's the Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Tom Brady of his profession.  One in a billion.  You have better odds winning the lottery than to get to their heights.  He says in his book he got $20 million up front for telling his story.  $20 million... Quit.  That's the best advice you'll ever get.  You're a man, do what you gotta do to make yourself whole.
    great post brother I love you guys are honestly helping me here. So it’s the money I’m chasing. In my eyes it’s like I have to get to a certain amount to validate something. Validate being a pro bettor? Having money? Finally making it? It’s something definitely like that. I totally understand money management but I don’t execute it. It’s like I’m so dumb sometimes I feel I can get past it just for a few months have a huge win streak and then start taking it easy. It never works like that. I swear all the times I thought I’m just gonna win 4 in a row and then calm down. I mean the thinking , my thinking, is seriously flawed. Yes, I was reading about Billy Walter’s and I had no idea how many times he went broke. It’s honestly a good story for me. He said he knew he had about a million to one shot at making it pro and somehow he did it. What alotta ppl fail to mention is he had computer programmers on his side. I think he was a runner for them this computer programming outfit.

     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 12:32 PM ET #61

    Quote Originally Posted by tjtorok07:

    @DefenseWinsSB  Stop watching sports for a year or 2 until that "only way to enjoy a game is if I have money on it" feeling goes away. Then pick a team, stick with that team and cheer them.
    I’ve tried that and without betting on sports I honestly don’t like it m. To me it’s like crypto or poker. I don’t understand why I’ve been able to bankroll myself in things like poker and crypto but not sports. I’m not saying I’m great at poker but I’ve definitely had amazing months and even years. Maybe I just need to find myself in poker again take a break from sports until march madness and I will feel way better

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by tjtorok07:

    @DefenseWinsSB  Stop watching sports for a year or 2 until that "only way to enjoy a game is if I have money on it" feeling goes away. Then pick a team, stick with that team and cheer them.
    I’ve tried that and without betting on sports I honestly don’t like it m. To me it’s like crypto or poker. I don’t understand why I’ve been able to bankroll myself in things like poker and crypto but not sports. I’m not saying I’m great at poker but I’ve definitely had amazing months and even years. Maybe I just need to find myself in poker again take a break from sports until march madness and I will feel way better

     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 12:34 PM ET #62

    Quote Originally Posted by MIZARD:

    Quote Originally Posted by nuggins: You're a lemon. Like a bad car. There is something... there is something inherently defective in you, and you, and you, and me, and all of us. We're all lemons. We look like everyone else, but what makes us different is our defect. See, most gamblers, when they go to gamble, they go to win. When we go to gamble, we go to lose. Subconsciously. Me, I never feel better than when they're raking the chips away; not bringing them in. And everyone here knows what I'm talking about. Hell, even when we win it's just a matter of time before we give it all back. But when we lose, that's another story. When we lose, and I'm talking about the kind of loss that makes your asshole pucker to the size of a decimal point - you know what I mean - You've just recreated the worst possible nightmare this side of malignant cancer, for the twentieth goddamn time; and you're standing there and you suddenly realise, Hey, I'm still... here. I'm still breathing. I'm still alive. Us lemons, we fuck shit up all the time on purpose. Because we constantly need to remind ourselves we're alive. Gambling's not your problem. It's this fucked up need to feel something. To convince yourself you exist. That's the problem. I also am a lemon.
    hahaha Mizard !!!!!

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by MIZARD:

    Quote Originally Posted by nuggins: You're a lemon. Like a bad car. There is something... there is something inherently defective in you, and you, and you, and me, and all of us. We're all lemons. We look like everyone else, but what makes us different is our defect. See, most gamblers, when they go to gamble, they go to win. When we go to gamble, we go to lose. Subconsciously. Me, I never feel better than when they're raking the chips away; not bringing them in. And everyone here knows what I'm talking about. Hell, even when we win it's just a matter of time before we give it all back. But when we lose, that's another story. When we lose, and I'm talking about the kind of loss that makes your asshole pucker to the size of a decimal point - you know what I mean - You've just recreated the worst possible nightmare this side of malignant cancer, for the twentieth goddamn time; and you're standing there and you suddenly realise, Hey, I'm still... here. I'm still breathing. I'm still alive. Us lemons, we fuck shit up all the time on purpose. Because we constantly need to remind ourselves we're alive. Gambling's not your problem. It's this fucked up need to feel something. To convince yourself you exist. That's the problem. I also am a lemon.
    hahaha Mizard !!!!!

     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 12:34 PM ET #63

    I love all you guys man you make this a very fun place to come and talk sports, vent, laugh , and get to hear some crazy stuff. Thank you

    Reply

    I love all you guys man you make this a very fun place to come and talk sports, vent, laugh , and get to hear some crazy stuff. Thank you

     
    ABLP0609
    ABLP0609
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2021
    Posts: 1392
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 12:41 PM ET #64

    @DefenseWinsSB

     It’s tough. Have to stay disciplined and it’s really hard to do. I literally set bankroll @2500 every season. I am a $50 to $100 bettor. I have had rough weeks and good weeks . Just stay the course and do not raise your bet to chase. I’m so far down $90  for the NFL season. Just stay disciplined and control your limit. Hang in there . 

    Reply

    @DefenseWinsSB

     It’s tough. Have to stay disciplined and it’s really hard to do. I literally set bankroll @2500 every season. I am a $50 to $100 bettor. I have had rough weeks and good weeks . Just stay the course and do not raise your bet to chase. I’m so far down $90  for the NFL season. Just stay disciplined and control your limit. Hang in there . 

     
    Indydog
    Indydog
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2021
    Posts: 795
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 12:48 PM ET #65

    @DefenseWinsSB

     Just curious, how long have you been gambling?  I've been doing it for 35+ years.  I've gone through really rough losing streaks... it's just the nature of the beast.  Have taken months and years off before to reset and refocus.  Find other hobbies to occupy your time.  It's nice clear your mind for a while.  Good luck!

    Reply

    @DefenseWinsSB

     Just curious, how long have you been gambling?  I've been doing it for 35+ years.  I've gone through really rough losing streaks... it's just the nature of the beast.  Have taken months and years off before to reset and refocus.  Find other hobbies to occupy your time.  It's nice clear your mind for a while.  Good luck!

     
    MITM
    MITM
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2014
    Posts: 6083
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 12:55 PM ET #66

    I heard a definition of money management once.

    Knowing the amount of your next wager before your current wager goes final.

    I've bet almost daily since August 1986. Done, seen and been a part of everything in this business. I mean everything from booking games to selling plays and everything in between. 

    I've recently become semi retired and this is now just a good side hustle.

    I love the one bet at a time approach. Look into it 

     

    Falcon Sports 

    Reply

    I heard a definition of money management once.

    Knowing the amount of your next wager before your current wager goes final.

    I've bet almost daily since August 1986. Done, seen and been a part of everything in this business. I mean everything from booking games to selling plays and everything in between. 

    I've recently become semi retired and this is now just a good side hustle.

    I love the one bet at a time approach. Look into it 

     

    Falcon Sports 

     
    Indydog
    Indydog
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2021
    Posts: 795
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 12:58 PM ET #67

    @MITM

     I follow you a lot and really appreciate your methodical approach.  It's hard to stay disciplined sometimes... especially when you have a highly addictive personality.  

    Reply

    @MITM

     I follow you a lot and really appreciate your methodical approach.  It's hard to stay disciplined sometimes... especially when you have a highly addictive personality.  

     
    Battalion74
    Battalion74
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2015
    Posts: 1215
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 1:04 PM ET #68

    @DefenseWinsSB

     Walters himself and by extension, his connections allowed him to quietly move the millions of dollars in weekly profits to casino vaults on the Group's behalf where they could bet games.  He was a runner is the purest sense but with his deep rooted connections to every casino in town, he was the guy the Group needed.  Talk about a match. 

    I wish you the best, I hope you find your place in life and make the most of it.  Money is a thing, try not to allow things to control you.  Money can't you the one thing we all have but don't fully appreciate.  Time.  We all have a clock that will strike midnight.  Don't let things get the better of you.

    GL bro...

    Reply

    @DefenseWinsSB

     Walters himself and by extension, his connections allowed him to quietly move the millions of dollars in weekly profits to casino vaults on the Group's behalf where they could bet games.  He was a runner is the purest sense but with his deep rooted connections to every casino in town, he was the guy the Group needed.  Talk about a match. 

    I wish you the best, I hope you find your place in life and make the most of it.  Money is a thing, try not to allow things to control you.  Money can't you the one thing we all have but don't fully appreciate.  Time.  We all have a clock that will strike midnight.  Don't let things get the better of you.

    GL bro...

     
    MITM
    MITM
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2014
    Posts: 6083
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 1:05 PM ET #69

    @Indydog

     Your right.

    Honestly I'm wired for the one at a time mentality.

    I didn't say one a day, I like a little action to.

     

    I just like the approach of going with my best. If I were going to wager $500 today. I'd rather have it all on my best game, instead of a $100 on five games.

    Mentally this works for me. Probably not everyone. I'm not arguing its the best. Its just the best for me.

    I don't like betting all the fringe plays but I like having something to look forward to. 

    Good luck 

     

    Falcon Sports 

    Reply

    @Indydog

     Your right.

    Honestly I'm wired for the one at a time mentality.

    I didn't say one a day, I like a little action to.

     

    I just like the approach of going with my best. If I were going to wager $500 today. I'd rather have it all on my best game, instead of a $100 on five games.

    Mentally this works for me. Probably not everyone. I'm not arguing its the best. Its just the best for me.

    I don't like betting all the fringe plays but I like having something to look forward to. 

    Good luck 

     

    Falcon Sports 

     
    Indydog
    Indydog
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2021
    Posts: 795
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 1:15 PM ET #70

    @MITM

     an_cheers

    Reply

    @MITM

     an_cheers

     
    knockonwood
    knockonwood
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2002
    Posts: 3521
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 1:24 PM ET #71

    Don't have time to read all so giving my opinion to the post...Thousands have been in your shoes, many of thousands....This doesn't help you but in life you try and learn from others mistakes....98.2% lose in sportsbetting so you're not alone, that's what got me posting over 20 yrs ago....I'm getting my butt kicked this year though but in 49 yrs I've had very few losing seasons but my kitty is the books money and I can afford....I'm not short on words so forgive!!!

    Over 20 yrs ago my good friend walks up and says Woody, let me show you something, it was this site....Now this guy had loss over $50,000, his mountain home and wife, no kids.....He was paying a tout chip chim something (not sure of last name but popular at time)....He was betting $3,000 and $5,000 a game, I've always known very rich books and would never play with less.....He'd call and say Woody, this is who he said and who he played.....I'd say Mike, I'm opposite every play so book loved me playing the other side.....Well, after losing what I said he started following me religiously....

    He pulls up covers on the computer in the in the federal job we had.....I always loved gambling on government time and got special treatment for being a gambler but another story....Maybe millions bet on government time, gots to love the federal government when working for them :) sad part for most today, working for federal government without benefits and don't even know it but another story........The boy who loss everything is doing great now but like Michael Jordon he'll gamble on anything and give up any odds for action.....Just a pure gambler you can take advantage of and I know from playing golf.....

     

    You're not alone but Man give it up!!!! No one here is making a living and don't be fooled by those claiming to win....You wanna know who beats the book, check at the end of the season and see how many kept a honest record and beat the book......No one making a living here!!!!  If you haven't paid the book and don't have it.....Tell him you can't pay and you're not going to play with anyone unless paying him off....Books aren't like in the 60's so be honest, they don't need the headache and especially if he's up with you....I've seen many of books get screwed and players but my books have never screwed a player, very fat pockets...Ive made up to $20,000 bets for people but they gave me $22,000 upfront.....I've returned $42,000 the next day at work and almost pocketed that much without playing but another story...,Many stories after 49 yrs :) I'll be back, running out of space :) final thought, Knock!

     

    Reply

    Don't have time to read all so giving my opinion to the post...Thousands have been in your shoes, many of thousands....This doesn't help you but in life you try and learn from others mistakes....98.2% lose in sportsbetting so you're not alone, that's what got me posting over 20 yrs ago....I'm getting my butt kicked this year though but in 49 yrs I've had very few losing seasons but my kitty is the books money and I can afford....I'm not short on words so forgive!!!

    Over 20 yrs ago my good friend walks up and says Woody, let me show you something, it was this site....Now this guy had loss over $50,000, his mountain home and wife, no kids.....He was paying a tout chip chim something (not sure of last name but popular at time)....He was betting $3,000 and $5,000 a game, I've always known very rich books and would never play with less.....He'd call and say Woody, this is who he said and who he played.....I'd say Mike, I'm opposite every play so book loved me playing the other side.....Well, after losing what I said he started following me religiously....

    He pulls up covers on the computer in the in the federal job we had.....I always loved gambling on government time and got special treatment for being a gambler but another story....Maybe millions bet on government time, gots to love the federal government when working for them :) sad part for most today, working for federal government without benefits and don't even know it but another story........The boy who loss everything is doing great now but like Michael Jordon he'll gamble on anything and give up any odds for action.....Just a pure gambler you can take advantage of and I know from playing golf.....

     

    You're not alone but Man give it up!!!! No one here is making a living and don't be fooled by those claiming to win....You wanna know who beats the book, check at the end of the season and see how many kept a honest record and beat the book......No one making a living here!!!!  If you haven't paid the book and don't have it.....Tell him you can't pay and you're not going to play with anyone unless paying him off....Books aren't like in the 60's so be honest, they don't need the headache and especially if he's up with you....I've seen many of books get screwed and players but my books have never screwed a player, very fat pockets...Ive made up to $20,000 bets for people but they gave me $22,000 upfront.....I've returned $42,000 the next day at work and almost pocketed that much without playing but another story...,Many stories after 49 yrs :) I'll be back, running out of space :) final thought, Knock!

     

     
    knockonwood
    knockonwood
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2002
    Posts: 3521
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 1:42 PM ET #72

    You're not alone and ive been sick as well but not in many of years thank goodness......I'm to tight with a dollar to lose and very upset with my season but ive seen all and can handle.....Oh, my Buddy pulls up covers and says Wood you should put your plays on here.....I said who needs luck when you can Knock on Wood :) he said use the name KnockonWood and here I B!!! I've posted on several sites and always used that name....He may read this but he's never signed up on any sport site.....Play contest for fun, I'm in a free contest that pays $40,000 for 1st place picking 5 games a week....Another free contest for $250,000 I think it is so many contest out there.....Play for $10 a game, books don't care.....Don't bet what you can't afford to lose and that's zero for most....My Dad was a small sports gambler I think but gave up when he found out I was betting pretty big money.......The past is in the past and all you can do is learn from it.....Health can't be bought so don't allow yours to be bad due to gambling!!!!   I can go on and on but my dog is saying take me out :)   cut back, play for fun or quit!!! If you don't want this feeling again, give it up!!!! If not you'll keep getting sick over and over and ive learned from the best.........All my opinion but I hate seeing people hurt but you're not alone but the only one who can do something about it.....I'm sure many here gave their opinion and advice so take bits and pieces that works for you,   Knock!

    Reply

    You're not alone and ive been sick as well but not in many of years thank goodness......I'm to tight with a dollar to lose and very upset with my season but ive seen all and can handle.....Oh, my Buddy pulls up covers and says Wood you should put your plays on here.....I said who needs luck when you can Knock on Wood :) he said use the name KnockonWood and here I B!!! I've posted on several sites and always used that name....He may read this but he's never signed up on any sport site.....Play contest for fun, I'm in a free contest that pays $40,000 for 1st place picking 5 games a week....Another free contest for $250,000 I think it is so many contest out there.....Play for $10 a game, books don't care.....Don't bet what you can't afford to lose and that's zero for most....My Dad was a small sports gambler I think but gave up when he found out I was betting pretty big money.......The past is in the past and all you can do is learn from it.....Health can't be bought so don't allow yours to be bad due to gambling!!!!   I can go on and on but my dog is saying take me out :)   cut back, play for fun or quit!!! If you don't want this feeling again, give it up!!!! If not you'll keep getting sick over and over and ive learned from the best.........All my opinion but I hate seeing people hurt but you're not alone but the only one who can do something about it.....I'm sure many here gave their opinion and advice so take bits and pieces that works for you,   Knock!

     
    AnthonyStarks
    AnthonyStarks
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2011
    Posts: 6627
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 2:15 PM ET #73

    @DonkeyPlays

     10 percent of poker players is a huge stretch. It's like 2-5 percent 

    Reply

    @DonkeyPlays

     10 percent of poker players is a huge stretch. It's like 2-5 percent 

     
    gabrielpo20
    gabrielpo20
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2022
    Posts: 17
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 2:21 PM ET #74

    @Ex-Ray

     love the avatar go expos

    Reply

    @Ex-Ray

     love the avatar go expos

     
     
    AnthonyStarks
    AnthonyStarks
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2011
    Posts: 6627
    Posted: Oct. 2, 2023 - 2:23 PM ET #75

    Also for the OP it will only get worse for you. You have no chance at success. I'm sorry but that's the reality. It took me almost 2 decades of pain to realize I can only beat live poker, tennis and hockey. I still bet other sports because I am a degenerate but thats another story. Life is short. For me it took having 2 kids to get my priorities in order. Good luck 

    Reply

    Also for the OP it will only get worse for you. You have no chance at success. I'm sorry but that's the reality. It took me almost 2 decades of pain to realize I can only beat live poker, tennis and hockey. I still bet other sports because I am a degenerate but thats another story. Life is short. For me it took having 2 kids to get my priorities in order. Good luck 

    All Forums | NFL Betting Forum
    «First Previous 12345 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,248
    • Thursday 10/01/2026 753
    • PART DEUX 207
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,993
    • Steelers vs Browns in-game live TNF 2,102
    • Cleveland Bettors 2,566
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 103,202
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 12,117
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 29,939
    • Happening just recently . . . 36,843

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.