• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Las Vegas

    Minimum needed to live the dream

    «First Previous 161718 ... 181920 Next Last»
    dtorres72
    mafioso
    ShadowWarrior
    cybergrindin
    Jayvegas420
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 283609
    Posts: 495
    «First Previous 161718 ... 181920 Next Last»
     
    dtorres72
    dtorres72
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2007
    Posts: 116
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2013 - 1:13 PM ET #376

    Hello all,

    I am back last week was up and down, but i still held my own and up a good amount of change!  Even blew quite a bit lets just say on a good night at Cheetah's..I have read many of these posts and it seems to me everyone has issues with taking a big money line and you are better off to go for the long shots with little risk and big rewards.  I agree, but how often does that happen very rare...  Yes you risk more but have a lot better chance of winning most of the time.  So how ever you bet, that is up to you but nothing wrong either way.  We are all out to try and win, bottom line.  Some of us play it safer then others, which is nothing wrong with that.  Some of us like to live on the edge a bit more, once again nothing wrong with that.

    Now with all that being said, I am taking the Yankees tonight at +110, to win $4000.  Take it to the bank..
    Reply
    Hello all,

    I am back last week was up and down, but i still held my own and up a good amount of change!  Even blew quite a bit lets just say on a good night at Cheetah's..I have read many of these posts and it seems to me everyone has issues with taking a big money line and you are better off to go for the long shots with little risk and big rewards.  I agree, but how often does that happen very rare...  Yes you risk more but have a lot better chance of winning most of the time.  So how ever you bet, that is up to you but nothing wrong either way.  We are all out to try and win, bottom line.  Some of us play it safer then others, which is nothing wrong with that.  Some of us like to live on the edge a bit more, once again nothing wrong with that.

    Now with all that being said, I am taking the Yankees tonight at +110, to win $4000.  Take it to the bank..
     
    mafioso
    mafioso
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2010
    Posts: 2665
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2013 - 5:00 PM ET #377

    The way you survive Baseball season as a bettor is never to lay more than -125 on any team or total.
    Take Dogs of +135 to Favorites of -125 
    No other way to survive it, Yes, You may hit 5 or 6 or 7 in a row laying -180
    but you lose 3 games and you gave it all back.

    And if you are in Vegas, There is nothing that will give you more of an advantage than live betting.

    Vegas Gourmet 
    MY EYES HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT
    You were right all along
    there is nothing better
    Iv seen my bankroll go from 3129 dollars
    to 10196 dollars in 32 days 
    AMAZING how Cantor stays in business
    Last night when the Dodgers were down a Run
    I took them for 200 to win 490
    When they came back and took a two run lead I took Philly for 60 dollars to win 380
    Putting myself in a no lose situation.
    Reply
    The way you survive Baseball season as a bettor is never to lay more than -125 on any team or total.
    Take Dogs of +135 to Favorites of -125 
    No other way to survive it, Yes, You may hit 5 or 6 or 7 in a row laying -180
    but you lose 3 games and you gave it all back.

    And if you are in Vegas, There is nothing that will give you more of an advantage than live betting.

    Vegas Gourmet 
    MY EYES HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT
    You were right all along
    there is nothing better
    Iv seen my bankroll go from 3129 dollars
    to 10196 dollars in 32 days 
    AMAZING how Cantor stays in business
    Last night when the Dodgers were down a Run
    I took them for 200 to win 490
    When they came back and took a two run lead I took Philly for 60 dollars to win 380
    Putting myself in a no lose situation.
     
    ShadowWarrior
    ShadowWarrior
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 7112
    Posted: Jun. 29, 2013 - 8:47 PM ET #378

    Nice going mafioso!  Have you started your business venture yet?  You have a very good plan in place and hope you success.
    Reply
    Nice going mafioso!  Have you started your business venture yet?  You have a very good plan in place and hope you success.
     
    cybergrindin
    cybergrindin
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2011
    Posts: 1
    Posted: Jun. 30, 2013 - 5:17 PM ET #379

    I have been doin it for 15 years. Live in LV and san diego.  Its not mathematical as u think.. just do it.. itll fall in place
    Reply
    I have been doin it for 15 years. Live in LV and san diego.  Its not mathematical as u think.. just do it.. itll fall in place
     
    Jayvegas420
    Jayvegas420
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2013
    Posts: 323
    Posted: Jul. 1, 2013 - 5:14 PM ET #380

    How would you rank the softest poker rooms & at what times?
    Reply
    How would you rank the softest poker rooms & at what times?
     
    NOmoose
    NOmoose
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2009
    Posts: 5789
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2013 - 5:08 PM ET #381

    if you're renting an apartment I wouldn't call that living the dream haha...
    Reply
    if you're renting an apartment I wouldn't call that living the dream haha...
     
    Jayvegas420
    Jayvegas420
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2013
    Posts: 323
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2013 - 10:05 PM ET #382

    NO, not if your dream is to be a homowner
    Reply
    NO, not if your dream is to be a homowner
     
    baseballwinner
    baseballwinner
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2013
    Posts: 7
    Posted: Jul. 5, 2013 - 1:29 AM ET #383

    I just want to tell my story of living the dream. I I went out to vegas with a 35k bankroll and had 4 months of rent (2,000/month) paid for in advance.  I made about 40k in one month betting baseball.  By the fourth month, I was bust.  I did live an extravagant lifestyle and have a lot of overhead (10k/month), but had poor money management.  I travelled every two weeks and ate/lived well above my means.  My biggest downfall was casinos and alcohol.  I have given up alcohol and have the discipline to never playing a casino game again.  In addition, I have read over 20  books related to risk and gambling.  Last year in baseball, I was 72% ats.  My numbers this year in baseball are even better.   The biggest problems were my arrogance and poor money management. I would play 10-20k on a single game and win.    Some of my wins were attributed to pure randomness and I didn't even realize it.    I feel I can do this, but my goal is to make millions sports investing.  I am going to try again, but need 50k to get started.  I will keep the forum updated on my progress,

    Reply

    I just want to tell my story of living the dream. I I went out to vegas with a 35k bankroll and had 4 months of rent (2,000/month) paid for in advance.  I made about 40k in one month betting baseball.  By the fourth month, I was bust.  I did live an extravagant lifestyle and have a lot of overhead (10k/month), but had poor money management.  I travelled every two weeks and ate/lived well above my means.  My biggest downfall was casinos and alcohol.  I have given up alcohol and have the discipline to never playing a casino game again.  In addition, I have read over 20  books related to risk and gambling.  Last year in baseball, I was 72% ats.  My numbers this year in baseball are even better.   The biggest problems were my arrogance and poor money management. I would play 10-20k on a single game and win.    Some of my wins were attributed to pure randomness and I didn't even realize it.    I feel I can do this, but my goal is to make millions sports investing.  I am going to try again, but need 50k to get started.  I will keep the forum updated on my progress,

     
    jcarthone
    jcarthone
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2010
    Posts: 6
    Posted: Jul. 5, 2013 - 3:12 PM ET #384

    I would say don't go, I have met people evicted from their homes or homeless chasing bets, the only people I know who are successful at sportsbetting that live in vegas are people who have a steady job. The key to beating the books is to turn the odds against them and use their own money against them. If you can't turn 100 bucks into 1000 within a week on a consistent basis, then you not ready to make that jump. It's easy to dream sitting on your coach but being their with so many distractions will have you broke in no time
    Reply
    I would say don't go, I have met people evicted from their homes or homeless chasing bets, the only people I know who are successful at sportsbetting that live in vegas are people who have a steady job. The key to beating the books is to turn the odds against them and use their own money against them. If you can't turn 100 bucks into 1000 within a week on a consistent basis, then you not ready to make that jump. It's easy to dream sitting on your coach but being their with so many distractions will have you broke in no time
     
    baseballwinner
    baseballwinner
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2013
    Posts: 7
    Posted: Jul. 5, 2013 - 3:41 PM ET #385

    RE: JCarthone.  

     

    I am able to turn profits week in and week out and have been sports gambling for 10 years.  I did live in lv right on the strip for 4 months or so last year and over the last ten years used to travel frequently to Nevada with the short flight from CA.  Over the last 6 months, I have been able to eliminate alcohol consumption, establish discipline and adhere to a strict plan.  I agree there are a lot of distractions in lv.  One experiences many more distractions living there then just visiting for 3-4 days.  From my personal experience over the last ten years on sports gambling, one needs to put in 70-80 hours of time into sports analysis and research to become successful.  This involves very advanced mathematics including predictive modeling.  How can one work a steady job and allocate 70 hours a week in sportsbetting?  The true sharps that make over 500k / year solely focus on this.  They have other investments ie real estate and may make more form those other ventures in time.    What you are referring to turning 100-1000 week in and week out is absurd.  The goal of a serious sports investor is to win 25-30% ROI over the course of a season or year.  The figures you are describing are 1000% every week.  No one in the world is able to establish that return every week.  If so, one would be able to turn 1000 into ten million over the course of one football season.  You clearly are an amateur who has no idea of the high stakes sports betting I am referring to.  My minimum wager was 2k and went up to 20k depending on the variables.  It's not even worth it to me to walk through the parasitic casino to get to the sportsbook for any less than 2 dimes.   

    Reply

    RE: JCarthone.  

     

    I am able to turn profits week in and week out and have been sports gambling for 10 years.  I did live in lv right on the strip for 4 months or so last year and over the last ten years used to travel frequently to Nevada with the short flight from CA.  Over the last 6 months, I have been able to eliminate alcohol consumption, establish discipline and adhere to a strict plan.  I agree there are a lot of distractions in lv.  One experiences many more distractions living there then just visiting for 3-4 days.  From my personal experience over the last ten years on sports gambling, one needs to put in 70-80 hours of time into sports analysis and research to become successful.  This involves very advanced mathematics including predictive modeling.  How can one work a steady job and allocate 70 hours a week in sportsbetting?  The true sharps that make over 500k / year solely focus on this.  They have other investments ie real estate and may make more form those other ventures in time.    What you are referring to turning 100-1000 week in and week out is absurd.  The goal of a serious sports investor is to win 25-30% ROI over the course of a season or year.  The figures you are describing are 1000% every week.  No one in the world is able to establish that return every week.  If so, one would be able to turn 1000 into ten million over the course of one football season.  You clearly are an amateur who has no idea of the high stakes sports betting I am referring to.  My minimum wager was 2k and went up to 20k depending on the variables.  It's not even worth it to me to walk through the parasitic casino to get to the sportsbook for any less than 2 dimes.   

     
    jcarthone
    jcarthone
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2010
    Posts: 6
    Posted: Jul. 5, 2013 - 3:59 PM ET #386

    I was referring to lower level gamblers, but for bigger players you have to get ahead of the count,gambling/investing is more psychological than technical, I bet you if feels better to lose than to win. It's hard to be creative and conservative at the same time, it's a conflict of interest. Thats the edge most casinos have over players, that and more money. Because people win we get cocky we forget the things that made us successful and over extend, and there goes our bankroll.
    Reply
    I was referring to lower level gamblers, but for bigger players you have to get ahead of the count,gambling/investing is more psychological than technical, I bet you if feels better to lose than to win. It's hard to be creative and conservative at the same time, it's a conflict of interest. Thats the edge most casinos have over players, that and more money. Because people win we get cocky we forget the things that made us successful and over extend, and there goes our bankroll.
     
    baseballwinner
    baseballwinner
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2013
    Posts: 7
    Posted: Jul. 5, 2013 - 6:42 PM ET #387

    you said "it feels better to lose than win"

    Again, this is more evidence of you being an amateur and what Vegas attracts with near misses, comps and the ludic fallacy that exists inside the walls of casinos.  I am not trying to be right like a bettor or seeking entertainment as gamblers do.  My one and only goal in sports investing is to make money.  That is it.  I don't care about home town favorites or being right.  I look for value and situations with a distinct edge to create solid investing opportunities. 

    Reply

    you said "it feels better to lose than win"

    Again, this is more evidence of you being an amateur and what Vegas attracts with near misses, comps and the ludic fallacy that exists inside the walls of casinos.  I am not trying to be right like a bettor or seeking entertainment as gamblers do.  My one and only goal in sports investing is to make money.  That is it.  I don't care about home town favorites or being right.  I look for value and situations with a distinct edge to create solid investing opportunities. 

     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8162
    Posted: Jul. 6, 2013 - 12:51 AM ET #388

    baseballwinner----I've been on a slump the last 2 days betting bases. Who do you like tomorrow? 
    Reply
    baseballwinner----I've been on a slump the last 2 days betting bases. Who do you like tomorrow? 
     
    ShadowWarrior
    ShadowWarrior
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 7112
    Posted: Jul. 6, 2013 - 3:46 PM ET #389

    Quote Originally Posted by baseballwinner:

    you said "it feels better to lose than win"

    Again, this is more evidence of you being an amateur and what Vegas attracts with near misses, comps and the ludic fallacy that exists inside the walls of casinos.  I am not trying to be right like a bettor or seeking entertainment as gamblers do.  My one and only goal in sports investing is to make money.  That is it.  I don't care about home town favorites or being right.  I look for value and situations with a distinct edge to create solid investing opportunities. 

    .    Can you give an example of a value and distinct advantage situation in any scenario like NBA, CBB, NFL, CFB, or MLB.  If you do, they must be few and far between.   I also look at tennis, MMA and Olympics last summer was good.   I do not do any NHL or soccer.  Wagering has so many variables like injuries or weather, etc.  Had Broncos db been in a better position maybe Broncs go to SB!  Maybe had Spurs hit their free throws late in game six,  they be the NBA champs!  Maybe TX wins the WS if they close out Cards in their last at bat with one strike to win.  Your value and advantage can be all cancelled out by good or bad luck.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballwinner:

    you said "it feels better to lose than win"

    Again, this is more evidence of you being an amateur and what Vegas attracts with near misses, comps and the ludic fallacy that exists inside the walls of casinos.  I am not trying to be right like a bettor or seeking entertainment as gamblers do.  My one and only goal in sports investing is to make money.  That is it.  I don't care about home town favorites or being right.  I look for value and situations with a distinct edge to create solid investing opportunities. 

    .    Can you give an example of a value and distinct advantage situation in any scenario like NBA, CBB, NFL, CFB, or MLB.  If you do, they must be few and far between.   I also look at tennis, MMA and Olympics last summer was good.   I do not do any NHL or soccer.  Wagering has so many variables like injuries or weather, etc.  Had Broncos db been in a better position maybe Broncs go to SB!  Maybe had Spurs hit their free throws late in game six,  they be the NBA champs!  Maybe TX wins the WS if they close out Cards in their last at bat with one strike to win.  Your value and advantage can be all cancelled out by good or bad luck.
     
    Michfan15
    Michfan15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 11316
    Posted: Jul. 6, 2013 - 11:38 PM ET #390

    baseballwinner - you can put 70 hours a week or up to 100 hours a week in research and analysis there will always be randomness and things out of your control that will screw you. i.e. injury, unexpected fumble, meaningless 3 pt shot at buzzer, etc.  my only point is that  realistically one should have an alternate job with steady cash flow compared to dedicating 100% of his time to sports betting/investing
    Reply
    baseballwinner - you can put 70 hours a week or up to 100 hours a week in research and analysis there will always be randomness and things out of your control that will screw you. i.e. injury, unexpected fumble, meaningless 3 pt shot at buzzer, etc.  my only point is that  realistically one should have an alternate job with steady cash flow compared to dedicating 100% of his time to sports betting/investing
     
    gatorsneil75
    gatorsneil75
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2009
    Posts: 3035
    Posted: Jul. 11, 2013 - 4:11 AM ET #391

    I'm sorry but I don't believe anyone hits more than 70% for an entire year in any sport. I used to own/operate a restaurant and made damn good money. I was betting heavily. I turned a $300 deposit into almost $37k, and lost it all in two days. I worked my azz off to get it that high. I made a decent living betting sports before I had the restaurant. But I was always around 55-63% depending on what sport. You have to know your self, and what you can handle. If you know you are good at sports betting, but the casinos are your down fall then make sure to eliminate that option. You can either sports bet online, and live some where without a casino, or you can give yourself self-exclusions to all casinos besides sportsbooks. For the people who say you cannot do it for a living, that is false. I know first hand for many years. The problem most people have is money management. Just because you have a great week and make 10k, does not mean you should go spend $4k at best buy. Money management consists of a lot more than control your bet size. It has more to do with how you manage your money personally than anything else. Once we spend $1k on something we really don't need, we try to make it up quickly, by winning the money back. So that we will not feel the money gone. Big mistake! Another thing, for the person that said you cannot make a living hitting 55% percent...I totally disagree. If you place 200 wagers a month, and hit 55%, this would be the breakdown. For a $300 bettor, you would profit $3300 a month. A $500 bettor would profit $5500, and so on. If you can increase that just two percentage points, to 57%, your $300 gambler now profits $5820. The $500 bettor would then be making $9700. People in this country are greedy, but you should be able to make it on $3300 a month. Anything more, and your saving fast. More than 50% of Americans make less than 34k a year. It is definitely possible, and if it's your dream...go for it!
    Reply
    I'm sorry but I don't believe anyone hits more than 70% for an entire year in any sport. I used to own/operate a restaurant and made damn good money. I was betting heavily. I turned a $300 deposit into almost $37k, and lost it all in two days. I worked my azz off to get it that high. I made a decent living betting sports before I had the restaurant. But I was always around 55-63% depending on what sport. You have to know your self, and what you can handle. If you know you are good at sports betting, but the casinos are your down fall then make sure to eliminate that option. You can either sports bet online, and live some where without a casino, or you can give yourself self-exclusions to all casinos besides sportsbooks. For the people who say you cannot do it for a living, that is false. I know first hand for many years. The problem most people have is money management. Just because you have a great week and make 10k, does not mean you should go spend $4k at best buy. Money management consists of a lot more than control your bet size. It has more to do with how you manage your money personally than anything else. Once we spend $1k on something we really don't need, we try to make it up quickly, by winning the money back. So that we will not feel the money gone. Big mistake! Another thing, for the person that said you cannot make a living hitting 55% percent...I totally disagree. If you place 200 wagers a month, and hit 55%, this would be the breakdown. For a $300 bettor, you would profit $3300 a month. A $500 bettor would profit $5500, and so on. If you can increase that just two percentage points, to 57%, your $300 gambler now profits $5820. The $500 bettor would then be making $9700. People in this country are greedy, but you should be able to make it on $3300 a month. Anything more, and your saving fast. More than 50% of Americans make less than 34k a year. It is definitely possible, and if it's your dream...go for it!
     
    Michfan15
    Michfan15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 11316
    Posted: Jul. 11, 2013 - 5:19 PM ET #392

    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsneil75:

    I'm sorry but I don't believe anyone hits more than 70% for an entire year in any sport.

    this isnt true...i hit well over 70% in ncaa football last year but obviously still came out in the red becasue of poor $ management and a little thing on sunday called the NFL

    patience, choosing your spots, and waiting for the right opportunities is what it takes.  Also the ability to keep your ego in check, not increase your wager size when you are hot, and other $ management principles will help you be a successful sports gambler.  Doing it full-time 100% of the time w/o a steady income stream is not something i believe is realistic or desirable but BOL to those who try and dont end up bust.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsneil75:

    I'm sorry but I don't believe anyone hits more than 70% for an entire year in any sport.

    this isnt true...i hit well over 70% in ncaa football last year but obviously still came out in the red becasue of poor $ management and a little thing on sunday called the NFL

    patience, choosing your spots, and waiting for the right opportunities is what it takes.  Also the ability to keep your ego in check, not increase your wager size when you are hot, and other $ management principles will help you be a successful sports gambler.  Doing it full-time 100% of the time w/o a steady income stream is not something i believe is realistic or desirable but BOL to those who try and dont end up bust.
     
    trim88
    trim88
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2009
    Posts: 136
    Posted: Jul. 15, 2013 - 3:26 PM ET #393

    Quote Originally Posted by T-One:

    trim, how much do you bet? if 2-6 bets a week, your bet size must be different. 

    I started with a 200K bankroll; my action is typically 2.5% of my bankroll, which is kept in margin account, just in case I have to borrow of my stocks/bonds.

    I have had years where I have lost 100K...I just dealt with with.

    have a good one!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by T-One:

    trim, how much do you bet? if 2-6 bets a week, your bet size must be different. 

    I started with a 200K bankroll; my action is typically 2.5% of my bankroll, which is kept in margin account, just in case I have to borrow of my stocks/bonds.

    I have had years where I have lost 100K...I just dealt with with.

    have a good one!
     
    ShadowWarrior
    ShadowWarrior
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 7112
    Posted: Jul. 16, 2013 - 2:06 PM ET #394

    Not too many can have a 200 k bankroll.  You are probably the only one I know.  I hope you can give some picks!
    Reply
    Not too many can have a 200 k bankroll.  You are probably the only one I know.  I hope you can give some picks!
     
    trim88
    trim88
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2009
    Posts: 136
    Posted: Jul. 16, 2013 - 6:12 PM ET #395

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior:

    Not too many can have a 200 k bankroll.  You are probably the only one I know.  I hope you can give some picks!

    That bankroll sure didn't come from 'cappin, Shadow!...In the late 80's (I remember in decades, now, rather than dates!) I was reading the financial back page of the San Diego Union. Laurence Tisch (President of CBS) had bought 20K shares of Bank of Boston at 1 dollar. Why? With Larry's wealth he should be buying Coke or P&G. I didn't wait around: I had hustled around 10K from savings/working the Caliente Sports Book (Tijuana); I dumped the Bank of Boston load (all of it) into a margin account at 2 bucks.

    Larry didn't disappoint: he ended up buying about 4.4 million shares and when it was all over the stock went from 1 to 44...I cashed out. You can imagine the doubling power of a margin account. It was a beautiful thing.

    I relate this story because there are many opportunities right at the book. For instance, many offshore books have political betting: Richard Murdoch was a huge favorite to crush Joe Donnelly for the Indiana US Senate race.  I was reading the Huffington Post the very morning Murdoch said, "rape was something God intended." Again, I didn't wait around: I took Donnelly at +140 and Obama +220 to win Florida in a two-teamer...I made a friggin' killing on that one. I also two-teamed Obama to win New Hampshire with the Saints/Cowboys over...another monster.

    It's important that, at least occasionally, you look over cricket, politics, rugby...you name it, because there will be opportunities.

    Also, don't forget to read Rip-Off Report for stock picks...once you see a corporation with tons of complaints, be ready to buy some puts...you may do well.

    It's the All-Star Break. The only time of year when there is zero action in anything, so I have so time to fool around. Have a great day, Shadow (I live in Honolulu, corner of Wilder/Piikoi, for five years.)
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior:

    Not too many can have a 200 k bankroll.  You are probably the only one I know.  I hope you can give some picks!

    That bankroll sure didn't come from 'cappin, Shadow!...In the late 80's (I remember in decades, now, rather than dates!) I was reading the financial back page of the San Diego Union. Laurence Tisch (President of CBS) had bought 20K shares of Bank of Boston at 1 dollar. Why? With Larry's wealth he should be buying Coke or P&G. I didn't wait around: I had hustled around 10K from savings/working the Caliente Sports Book (Tijuana); I dumped the Bank of Boston load (all of it) into a margin account at 2 bucks.

    Larry didn't disappoint: he ended up buying about 4.4 million shares and when it was all over the stock went from 1 to 44...I cashed out. You can imagine the doubling power of a margin account. It was a beautiful thing.

    I relate this story because there are many opportunities right at the book. For instance, many offshore books have political betting: Richard Murdoch was a huge favorite to crush Joe Donnelly for the Indiana US Senate race.  I was reading the Huffington Post the very morning Murdoch said, "rape was something God intended." Again, I didn't wait around: I took Donnelly at +140 and Obama +220 to win Florida in a two-teamer...I made a friggin' killing on that one. I also two-teamed Obama to win New Hampshire with the Saints/Cowboys over...another monster.

    It's important that, at least occasionally, you look over cricket, politics, rugby...you name it, because there will be opportunities.

    Also, don't forget to read Rip-Off Report for stock picks...once you see a corporation with tons of complaints, be ready to buy some puts...you may do well.

    It's the All-Star Break. The only time of year when there is zero action in anything, so I have so time to fool around. Have a great day, Shadow (I live in Honolulu, corner of Wilder/Piikoi, for five years.)
     
    ShadowWarrior
    ShadowWarrior
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 7112
    Posted: Jul. 17, 2013 - 2:26 PM ET #396

    Thanks trim88, I live in Kaneohe, surf Rockpiles whenever.  This summer has been a bomb!
    Reply
    Thanks trim88, I live in Kaneohe, surf Rockpiles whenever.  This summer has been a bomb!
     
    Zoot
    Zoot
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2003
    Posts: 20658
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2013 - 12:30 AM ET #397

    If you think playing poker for a living is living the dream, you're kidding yourself bud. It's anything but. It's A daily grind and very very few are ever actual make a living doing it. 
    There is an easier way believe me . 
    Reply
    If you think playing poker for a living is living the dream, you're kidding yourself bud. It's anything but. It's A daily grind and very very few are ever actual make a living doing it. 
    There is an easier way believe me . 
     
    Imrans-world
    Imrans-world
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2012
    Posts: 157
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2013 - 1:34 AM ET #398

    amazing thread....great read guys....any updates slim??
    Reply
    amazing thread....great read guys....any updates slim??
     
    trim88
    trim88
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2009
    Posts: 136
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2013 - 1:40 PM ET #399

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior:

    Thanks trim88, I live in Kaneohe, surf Rockpiles whenever.  This summer has been a bomb!

    Gosh, I tried...bit off more than I could chew: gave Haleiwa a shot, it was so steep I almost got killed. I should've had fun learning at Ala Moana, but of course, thought I was special: wrong answer. Surfing takes time, dedication and an athleticism I could never have. I failed miserably. Rockpiles demands the best of the best...well done, my friend...well done.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior:

    Thanks trim88, I live in Kaneohe, surf Rockpiles whenever.  This summer has been a bomb!

    Gosh, I tried...bit off more than I could chew: gave Haleiwa a shot, it was so steep I almost got killed. I should've had fun learning at Ala Moana, but of course, thought I was special: wrong answer. Surfing takes time, dedication and an athleticism I could never have. I failed miserably. Rockpiles demands the best of the best...well done, my friend...well done.
     
     
    trim88
    trim88
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2009
    Posts: 136
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2013 - 1:48 PM ET #400

    There is one very interesting MLB tilt I'm looking at. It's on Saturday. The Rays Hellickson goes against the Blue Jays Buehrle; Hellickson is the slowest worker in MLB, 26 sec. between pitches...Buehrle is the fastest worker, 19 sec. between pitches. It'll be roaring hot at 1PM on Toronto's artificial surface. Even if Mark gets ripped, at least the Jays get to play baseball. The poor Rays will be roasting in the hot sun, with their thumbs up their keisters, standing around, doing nothing, while watching a professional pitcher pitch. I love the Blue Jays ML in this one.
    Reply
    There is one very interesting MLB tilt I'm looking at. It's on Saturday. The Rays Hellickson goes against the Blue Jays Buehrle; Hellickson is the slowest worker in MLB, 26 sec. between pitches...Buehrle is the fastest worker, 19 sec. between pitches. It'll be roaring hot at 1PM on Toronto's artificial surface. Even if Mark gets ripped, at least the Jays get to play baseball. The poor Rays will be roasting in the hot sun, with their thumbs up their keisters, standing around, doing nothing, while watching a professional pitcher pitch. I love the Blue Jays ML in this one.
    All Forums | Las Vegas
    «First Previous 161718 ... 181920 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,365
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,989
    • PART DEUX 166
    • Week 6 Money 9,402
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 856
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,795
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 438
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,538
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,277
    • Friday 10/09/2026 368

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.