• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Las Vegas

    Minimum needed to live the dream

    «First Previous 171819 ... 181920 Next Last»
    ad1260
    Michfan15
    sfg8
    warrenator
    trim88
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 283609
    Posts: 495
    «First Previous 171819 ... 181920 Next Last»
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8162
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2013 - 5:13 PM ET #401

    trim88----cool stories man. Please, let us know when you have any plays in mind. Report to this thread immediately 
    Reply
    trim88----cool stories man. Please, let us know when you have any plays in mind. Report to this thread immediately 
     
    Michfan15
    Michfan15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 11316
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2013 - 10:45 PM ET #402

    Quote Originally Posted by trim88:

    There is one very interesting MLB tilt I'm looking at. It's on Saturday. The Rays Hellickson goes against the Blue Jays Buehrle; Hellickson is the slowest worker in MLB, 26 sec. between pitches...Buehrle is the fastest worker, 19 sec. between pitches. It'll be roaring hot at 1PM on Toronto's artificial surface. Even if Mark gets ripped, at least the Jays get to play baseball. The poor Rays will be roasting in the hot sun, with their thumbs up their keisters, standing around, doing nothing, while watching a professional pitcher pitch. I love the Blue Jays ML in this one.

    rogers center is indoors temp is regulated i thought
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by trim88:

    There is one very interesting MLB tilt I'm looking at. It's on Saturday. The Rays Hellickson goes against the Blue Jays Buehrle; Hellickson is the slowest worker in MLB, 26 sec. between pitches...Buehrle is the fastest worker, 19 sec. between pitches. It'll be roaring hot at 1PM on Toronto's artificial surface. Even if Mark gets ripped, at least the Jays get to play baseball. The poor Rays will be roasting in the hot sun, with their thumbs up their keisters, standing around, doing nothing, while watching a professional pitcher pitch. I love the Blue Jays ML in this one.

    rogers center is indoors temp is regulated i thought
     
    sfg8
    sfg8
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2012
    Posts: 628
    Posted: Jul. 20, 2013 - 7:28 PM ET #403

    that's what i thought as well...rogers ctr is indoors...btw tampa won 4-3..maybe nxt time...
    Reply
    that's what i thought as well...rogers ctr is indoors...btw tampa won 4-3..maybe nxt time...
     
    warrenator
    warrenator
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2011
    Posts: 8538
    Posted: Jul. 20, 2013 - 11:53 PM ET #404

    The percentage of people who actually make a living sports betting is miniscule--that 25k you mention would be gone in a month or less--You're fooling yourself with fairy tale dreams like this--best thing is to get a decent job in Vegas and just bet for fun and profit when you can make it--all that other stuff a pie-in-the sky dream never going to come true--But if thats what you want go for it,maybe you'll be one of the 1 in 1million--peoplewill tell that they don't build those huge casinos giving away money--not to mention the lights etc etc--sports can be brutal to win at like any other thing even with an rigid displine.I sense you'dwant to be out ther swinging on the Vegas scene, that style may not work.You should go ahead and try it though and after you fail(and you will) so what? You gotta give it a shot if thats your dream
    Reply
    The percentage of people who actually make a living sports betting is miniscule--that 25k you mention would be gone in a month or less--You're fooling yourself with fairy tale dreams like this--best thing is to get a decent job in Vegas and just bet for fun and profit when you can make it--all that other stuff a pie-in-the sky dream never going to come true--But if thats what you want go for it,maybe you'll be one of the 1 in 1million--peoplewill tell that they don't build those huge casinos giving away money--not to mention the lights etc etc--sports can be brutal to win at like any other thing even with an rigid displine.I sense you'dwant to be out ther swinging on the Vegas scene, that style may not work.You should go ahead and try it though and after you fail(and you will) so what? You gotta give it a shot if thats your dream
     
    warrenator
    warrenator
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2011
    Posts: 8538
    Posted: Jul. 20, 2013 - 11:56 PM ET #405

    Quote Originally Posted by mafioso:

    Let me clarify

    If you are going to rent an apartment the cheapest you will find is maybe a studio for around 500 a month

    so thats 6500 for the year including security deposit

    You will have BillsAnd any 500$ a month pad is going to be a dump in crime infested area--of which Vegas has many--alot of other folks who tried to"live the dream" and ended up donating to Steve  wynn(orwhoever)

    Electric,gas,cable and or satalite, phone and internet with the summers and winters lets say your total for these bills is another 300 per month

    thats 3600 per year

    You will need a car, Lets say your car is payed off just to be nice with insurance and gas and maintenence you are looking at 300 per month

    thats another 3600 for the year

    now food, dining in dining out going out to movies, dating once in a while if you have a life say another 400 per month, Im being ultra conservative here on a tight behind budget

    thats 4800 per year

    add medical insurance another 150 per month thats 1800 per year

    from bottom to top

    1800

    4800

    3600

    3600

    6500

    thats 20K to 23K depending on your life style

    Now in order for you to have a chance in hell of being successfull You will need that money just to live on for 12 calender months

    Now you need a bankroll

    trying to win 100 per day is not feasable Its just not

    You will have to be ultra selective and bet a nickle a game until you reach a desired goal for the month a desired goal would be 3k

    Pay attention here its the most valuable lesson in this reply

    You need to come up atleast 7 wagers won over the wagers you lost.

    You are giving yourself 30 calender days to reach this goal, its the only way to make this type of move without going bust

    so 500 a day is what you must have for wagering with the swings of wins and losses you need 500 a day x 60 days atleast 30K

    so I was wrong when I said 100K You need atleast 50K

    thats my opinion and in my case if I ever decided to do something so irresponsible I have a family, I would need atleast 150K because my expenses are double to tripple.

    But good luck.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by mafioso:

    Let me clarify

    If you are going to rent an apartment the cheapest you will find is maybe a studio for around 500 a month

    so thats 6500 for the year including security deposit

    You will have BillsAnd any 500$ a month pad is going to be a dump in crime infested area--of which Vegas has many--alot of other folks who tried to"live the dream" and ended up donating to Steve  wynn(orwhoever)

    Electric,gas,cable and or satalite, phone and internet with the summers and winters lets say your total for these bills is another 300 per month

    thats 3600 per year

    You will need a car, Lets say your car is payed off just to be nice with insurance and gas and maintenence you are looking at 300 per month

    thats another 3600 for the year

    now food, dining in dining out going out to movies, dating once in a while if you have a life say another 400 per month, Im being ultra conservative here on a tight behind budget

    thats 4800 per year

    add medical insurance another 150 per month thats 1800 per year

    from bottom to top

    1800

    4800

    3600

    3600

    6500

    thats 20K to 23K depending on your life style

    Now in order for you to have a chance in hell of being successfull You will need that money just to live on for 12 calender months

    Now you need a bankroll

    trying to win 100 per day is not feasable Its just not

    You will have to be ultra selective and bet a nickle a game until you reach a desired goal for the month a desired goal would be 3k

    Pay attention here its the most valuable lesson in this reply

    You need to come up atleast 7 wagers won over the wagers you lost.

    You are giving yourself 30 calender days to reach this goal, its the only way to make this type of move without going bust

    so 500 a day is what you must have for wagering with the swings of wins and losses you need 500 a day x 60 days atleast 30K

    so I was wrong when I said 100K You need atleast 50K

    thats my opinion and in my case if I ever decided to do something so irresponsible I have a family, I would need atleast 150K because my expenses are double to tripple.

    But good luck.

     
    trim88
    trim88
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2009
    Posts: 136
    Posted: Jul. 21, 2013 - 2:34 PM ET #406

    Quote Originally Posted by sfg8:

    that's what i thought as well...rogers ctr is indoors...btw tampa won 4-3..maybe nxt time...

    Rogers Ctr. has a retractable roof; the game was played outdoors. But, I lost...for perhaps the 2,500th+ time!!!

    BTW, my best year EVER on even money action was 62.7 percent...(1994).
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by sfg8:

    that's what i thought as well...rogers ctr is indoors...btw tampa won 4-3..maybe nxt time...

    Rogers Ctr. has a retractable roof; the game was played outdoors. But, I lost...for perhaps the 2,500th+ time!!!

    BTW, my best year EVER on even money action was 62.7 percent...(1994).
     
    melosjumper7
    melosjumper7
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2012
    Posts: 1106
    Posted: Jul. 22, 2013 - 12:05 PM ET #407

    what amazes me about reading this entire thread is how....mafioso continually patronized nyslim for his choices and his lieing......and for months kept saying hes gone, but nyslim kept posting and was doing fine....but suddenly mafioso moves to vegas and he has been giving the same posts that nyslim was for so long....surprise, surprise...only on covers, where everybodys a winner......maybe nyslim stopped posting because he got a life and got sick of people making judgement calls that were negative on every positive post that he put on here....but here is mafioso making the same posts that nyslim put on here when he moved....funny how the tide turns..
    Reply
    what amazes me about reading this entire thread is how....mafioso continually patronized nyslim for his choices and his lieing......and for months kept saying hes gone, but nyslim kept posting and was doing fine....but suddenly mafioso moves to vegas and he has been giving the same posts that nyslim was for so long....surprise, surprise...only on covers, where everybodys a winner......maybe nyslim stopped posting because he got a life and got sick of people making judgement calls that were negative on every positive post that he put on here....but here is mafioso making the same posts that nyslim put on here when he moved....funny how the tide turns..
     
    melosjumper7
    melosjumper7
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2012
    Posts: 1106
    Posted: Jul. 22, 2013 - 12:10 PM ET #408

    btw cjm2008...did u used to play online poker, I used to play a decent player that had that username a couple years ago....
    Reply
    btw cjm2008...did u used to play online poker, I used to play a decent player that had that username a couple years ago....
     
    mafioso
    mafioso
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2010
    Posts: 2665
    Posted: Jul. 22, 2013 - 4:09 PM ET #409

    Who says I moved to Vegas?
    I was planning on doing so and when I did I was planning on opening a restaurant like I have now, I am not stupid enough or selfish enough to risk my familys future on a vegas pipe dream.
    Yes I have had a great run with Live betting but thats all it is a GREAT RUN.

    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Selective reading, another reason you young people are pathetic and will always work for big mean bosses like me.


    Reply
    Who says I moved to Vegas?
    I was planning on doing so and when I did I was planning on opening a restaurant like I have now, I am not stupid enough or selfish enough to risk my familys future on a vegas pipe dream.
    Yes I have had a great run with Live betting but thats all it is a GREAT RUN.

    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Selective reading, another reason you young people are pathetic and will always work for big mean bosses like me.


     
    Squirrel_Hunter
    Squirrel_Hunter
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2013
    Posts: 1636
    Posted: Jul. 22, 2013 - 5:25 PM ET #410

    Good post, I am considering doing this Oct. of 2014 when I retire. My pension will be $14,000/ yr or so and will have about $10K in savings. Places seem to be dirt cheap there.
    Reply
    Good post, I am considering doing this Oct. of 2014 when I retire. My pension will be $14,000/ yr or so and will have about $10K in savings. Places seem to be dirt cheap there.
     
    melosjumper7
    melosjumper7
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2012
    Posts: 1106
    Posted: Jul. 23, 2013 - 1:14 PM ET #411

    I know with a name like mafioso....of course your a high scale boss...what was i thinking.....lol....and a big mean boss on top of it...what a joke you are....keep posting about everyone elseslife choices, and then post every time that you happen to win money....big bad boss.....look out...your like a telephone tough guy, come see you in real life and we'll all have a good laugh at the pathetic human that you are...
    Reply
    I know with a name like mafioso....of course your a high scale boss...what was i thinking.....lol....and a big mean boss on top of it...what a joke you are....keep posting about everyone elseslife choices, and then post every time that you happen to win money....big bad boss.....look out...your like a telephone tough guy, come see you in real life and we'll all have a good laugh at the pathetic human that you are...
     
    Jayvegas420
    Jayvegas420
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2013
    Posts: 323
    Posted: Jul. 23, 2013 - 5:28 PM ET #412

    I'm convinced it can be done with $2,700.00

    Reply
    I'm convinced it can be done with $2,700.00

     
    mafioso
    mafioso
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2010
    Posts: 2665
    Posted: Jul. 23, 2013 - 6:48 PM ET #413

    Quote Originally Posted by melosjumper7:

    I know with a name like mafioso....of course your a high scale boss...what was i thinking.....lol....and a big mean boss on top of it...what a joke you are....keep posting about everyone elseslife choices, and then post every time that you happen to win money....big bad boss.....look out...your like a telephone tough guy, come see you in real life and we'll all have a good laugh at the pathetic human that you are...

    In the words of greater men then myself.
    Go f*ck yourself
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by melosjumper7:

    I know with a name like mafioso....of course your a high scale boss...what was i thinking.....lol....and a big mean boss on top of it...what a joke you are....keep posting about everyone elseslife choices, and then post every time that you happen to win money....big bad boss.....look out...your like a telephone tough guy, come see you in real life and we'll all have a good laugh at the pathetic human that you are...

    In the words of greater men then myself.
    Go f*ck yourself
     
    Mikeyyy
    Mikeyyy
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2012
    Posts: 149
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2013 - 1:06 PM ET #414

    Quote Originally Posted by warrenator:

    The percentage of people who actually make a living sports betting is miniscule--that 25k you mention would be gone in a month or less--You're fooling yourself with fairy tale dreams like this--best thing is to get a decent job in Vegas and just bet for fun and profit when you can make it--all that other stuff a pie-in-the sky dream never going to come true--But if thats what you want go for it,maybe you'll be one of the 1 in 1million--peoplewill tell that they don't build those huge casinos giving away money--not to mention the lights etc etc--sports can be brutal to win at like any other thing even with an rigid displine.I sense you'dwant to be out ther swinging on the Vegas scene, that style may not work.You should go ahead and try it though and after you fail(and you will) so what? You gotta give it a shot if thats your dream


    I totally agree with the main points made in the above quote. But don't let anyone tell you not to live your dream, like warrenator suggests - even if you fail, meh. HK

    The problem is it's highly unlikely that you will ever accrue $25k to test your dream theory out.

    Your dream sort of reminds me of the many gold prospectors who wasted their time chasing after their dream but never realizing it. It's laudable to try and fail imo.


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by warrenator:

    The percentage of people who actually make a living sports betting is miniscule--that 25k you mention would be gone in a month or less--You're fooling yourself with fairy tale dreams like this--best thing is to get a decent job in Vegas and just bet for fun and profit when you can make it--all that other stuff a pie-in-the sky dream never going to come true--But if thats what you want go for it,maybe you'll be one of the 1 in 1million--peoplewill tell that they don't build those huge casinos giving away money--not to mention the lights etc etc--sports can be brutal to win at like any other thing even with an rigid displine.I sense you'dwant to be out ther swinging on the Vegas scene, that style may not work.You should go ahead and try it though and after you fail(and you will) so what? You gotta give it a shot if thats your dream


    I totally agree with the main points made in the above quote. But don't let anyone tell you not to live your dream, like warrenator suggests - even if you fail, meh. HK

    The problem is it's highly unlikely that you will ever accrue $25k to test your dream theory out.

    Your dream sort of reminds me of the many gold prospectors who wasted their time chasing after their dream but never realizing it. It's laudable to try and fail imo.


     
    Danrules24
    Danrules24
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2012
    Posts: 5921
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2013 - 3:31 PM ET #415

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Hunter:

    Good post, I am considering doing this Oct. of 2014 when I retire. My pension will be $14,000/ yr or so and will have about $10K in savings. Places seem to be dirt cheap there.

    Places here are not as cheap as they were a year ago. Low inventory and investors have raised prices. The prices could still seem low to you depending on where you live now, but the prices here are on the rise.

    I bought here in Aug 2012 partly to bet sports. I think the best way to do this is to have a full time job that covers everything including saving for retirement. With "extra" money build a bankroll and start betting as a % of bankroll. Keep adding to bankroll through winnings and extra savings. We saved $10k and I started my bankroll with that. I'll add a few k to that every year and hopefully increase through winnings also. I plan on working for 5 more years then retiring. Hoping to have my bankroll at $50k or more at that time, then use the sports betting gig as a supplement to my income in retirement.

     I'd love to be able to walk away now and just bet sports (living the dream), but my bankroll is not large enough to bet enough to make a living and I have yet to prove that I can win every year. I'm giving myself 5 years of working full time in Vegas, betting as if I had no other job and seeing what happens. The worst that can happen is losing my $10k stake, I'll still retire in 5 years. BOL to all that try to make a living betting on sports.

    Stay disciplined and manage your bankroll
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Hunter:

    Good post, I am considering doing this Oct. of 2014 when I retire. My pension will be $14,000/ yr or so and will have about $10K in savings. Places seem to be dirt cheap there.

    Places here are not as cheap as they were a year ago. Low inventory and investors have raised prices. The prices could still seem low to you depending on where you live now, but the prices here are on the rise.

    I bought here in Aug 2012 partly to bet sports. I think the best way to do this is to have a full time job that covers everything including saving for retirement. With "extra" money build a bankroll and start betting as a % of bankroll. Keep adding to bankroll through winnings and extra savings. We saved $10k and I started my bankroll with that. I'll add a few k to that every year and hopefully increase through winnings also. I plan on working for 5 more years then retiring. Hoping to have my bankroll at $50k or more at that time, then use the sports betting gig as a supplement to my income in retirement.

     I'd love to be able to walk away now and just bet sports (living the dream), but my bankroll is not large enough to bet enough to make a living and I have yet to prove that I can win every year. I'm giving myself 5 years of working full time in Vegas, betting as if I had no other job and seeing what happens. The worst that can happen is losing my $10k stake, I'll still retire in 5 years. BOL to all that try to make a living betting on sports.

     
    Jayvegas420
    Jayvegas420
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2013
    Posts: 323
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2013 - 4:29 PM ET #416

    You in Summerlin or Henderson?
    Reply
    You in Summerlin or Henderson?
     
    IPICKGAMES
    IPICKGAMES
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2010
    Posts: 108
    Posted: Jul. 25, 2013 - 10:48 AM ET #417

    It really all comes down to preparation and discipline. Never overbet your stake, 2% of bankroll should be the maximum bet size per wager. Its imperative you manage your bankroll and only increase bets as bankroll grows. if you have 10k your max bet should be 200$ to ensure the swings dont bankrupt you, and ther WILL be swings. Never chase losses and never double up. Take a loss and come back tommorrow. It is VITAL to keep accurate records of your results in order to make adjustments to your strategy and to keep losses to a minimum. Be very selective do not invest in 8-12 games a day, 3-5 plays are more than enough if you have experience and consistently hit between 54-60%.

    GL to all, this is not impossible and many make a great living of of investing in sports. Sports wagering when pursued sensibly involves the same deductive reasoning skills as trading a put or a call option in the financial markets. Realizing an attractive risk adjusted retrun whether it exists in the stock market, treasury bond or a baseball game is a prudent investment.

    Reply

    It really all comes down to preparation and discipline. Never overbet your stake, 2% of bankroll should be the maximum bet size per wager. Its imperative you manage your bankroll and only increase bets as bankroll grows. if you have 10k your max bet should be 200$ to ensure the swings dont bankrupt you, and ther WILL be swings. Never chase losses and never double up. Take a loss and come back tommorrow. It is VITAL to keep accurate records of your results in order to make adjustments to your strategy and to keep losses to a minimum. Be very selective do not invest in 8-12 games a day, 3-5 plays are more than enough if you have experience and consistently hit between 54-60%.

    GL to all, this is not impossible and many make a great living of of investing in sports. Sports wagering when pursued sensibly involves the same deductive reasoning skills as trading a put or a call option in the financial markets. Realizing an attractive risk adjusted retrun whether it exists in the stock market, treasury bond or a baseball game is a prudent investment.

     
    Danrules24
    Danrules24
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2012
    Posts: 5921
    Posted: Jul. 25, 2013 - 11:20 AM ET #418

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420:

    You in Summerlin or Henderson?

    Summerlin, just west of the Red Rock casino. In cooler weather I walk there 
    Stay disciplined and manage your bankroll
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420:

    You in Summerlin or Henderson?

    Summerlin, just west of the Red Rock casino. In cooler weather I walk there 
     
    Danrules24
    Danrules24
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2012
    Posts: 5921
    Posted: Jul. 25, 2013 - 12:44 PM ET #419

    Quote Originally Posted by IPICKGAMES:

    It really all comes down to preparation and discipline. Never overbet your stake, 2% of bankroll should be the maximum bet size per wager. Its imperative you manage your bankroll and only increase bets as bankroll grows. if you have 10k your max bet should be 200$ to ensure the swings dont bankrupt you, and ther WILL be swings. Never chase losses and never double up. Take a loss and come back tommorrow. It is VITAL to keep accurate records of your results in order to make adjustments to your strategy and to keep losses to a minimum. Be very selective do not invest in 8-12 games a day, 3-5 plays are more than enough if you have experience and consistently hit between 54-60%.

    GL to all, this is not impossible and many make a great living of of investing in sports. Sports wagering when pursued sensibly involves the same deductive reasoning skills as trading a put or a call option in the financial markets. Realizing an attractive risk adjusted retrun whether it exists in the stock market, treasury bond or a baseball game is a prudent investment.

    Great advice.

    Stay disciplined and manage your bankroll
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by IPICKGAMES:

    It really all comes down to preparation and discipline. Never overbet your stake, 2% of bankroll should be the maximum bet size per wager. Its imperative you manage your bankroll and only increase bets as bankroll grows. if you have 10k your max bet should be 200$ to ensure the swings dont bankrupt you, and ther WILL be swings. Never chase losses and never double up. Take a loss and come back tommorrow. It is VITAL to keep accurate records of your results in order to make adjustments to your strategy and to keep losses to a minimum. Be very selective do not invest in 8-12 games a day, 3-5 plays are more than enough if you have experience and consistently hit between 54-60%.

    GL to all, this is not impossible and many make a great living of of investing in sports. Sports wagering when pursued sensibly involves the same deductive reasoning skills as trading a put or a call option in the financial markets. Realizing an attractive risk adjusted retrun whether it exists in the stock market, treasury bond or a baseball game is a prudent investment.

    Great advice.

     
    Bluefin
    Bluefin
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2006
    Posts: 8485
    Posted: Jul. 25, 2013 - 3:36 PM ET #420

    What happened to the dude that started this thread....Did he go Poof like so many others or what..
    Reply
    What happened to the dude that started this thread....Did he go Poof like so many others or what..
     
    bondsman14
    bondsman14
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2013
    Posts: 9
    Posted: Jul. 26, 2013 - 11:05 AM ET #421

    I have a very good friend who has made A living playing Poker and Betting Sports.He is 55 Years old and has done this for 30 plus years.He lives on the East Coast half the time and Vegas the other half.He sets rules and follows
    1..He Bets the same on each game
    2...He does not Bet for Action...if there are 5 Games he likes he Bets all 5..if he does not see anything for 5 Days he will not bet.
    3 Very rarely does he go into the casino to play other games(only when other friends are in town)and he will play very low stakes and feels very lucky to walk out with a few bucks
    4..He plays poker about 40- 50 hours a week.
    5 He is not A Smoker,very very light Drinker and stays away from the strip clubs where You will spend a to. He works out most days and is very Healthy
    6...He does not win every Day,week or Month and there have been a few not so good years.however he has done very well.
    I feel A person can do this under A strick set of rules,how ever can most people do this...The answer is No...We are Human and most will Blow it if you have A big win on something else and most will try to chase losses and lose 10 in a row(which has happened to everyone)and Blow the Bank Roll.....I hope this info helps and Best of Luck to us all!!!
    Reply
    I have a very good friend who has made A living playing Poker and Betting Sports.He is 55 Years old and has done this for 30 plus years.He lives on the East Coast half the time and Vegas the other half.He sets rules and follows
    1..He Bets the same on each game
    2...He does not Bet for Action...if there are 5 Games he likes he Bets all 5..if he does not see anything for 5 Days he will not bet.
    3 Very rarely does he go into the casino to play other games(only when other friends are in town)and he will play very low stakes and feels very lucky to walk out with a few bucks
    4..He plays poker about 40- 50 hours a week.
    5 He is not A Smoker,very very light Drinker and stays away from the strip clubs where You will spend a to. He works out most days and is very Healthy
    6...He does not win every Day,week or Month and there have been a few not so good years.however he has done very well.
    I feel A person can do this under A strick set of rules,how ever can most people do this...The answer is No...We are Human and most will Blow it if you have A big win on something else and most will try to chase losses and lose 10 in a row(which has happened to everyone)and Blow the Bank Roll.....I hope this info helps and Best of Luck to us all!!!
     
    pokerfacekk
    pokerfacekk
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2011
    Posts: 15
    Posted: Jul. 26, 2013 - 1:14 PM ET #422

    Quote Originally Posted by Beergut:

    If you think you want to 'live the dream' and move to Vegas and make a living as a sports bettor/poker player/professional gambler, how much money do you need?

    At a minimum, I think it would be $25000, if not more. Figure you need $10000 to pay for one year in rent at an apartment, including any security deposit. You need a $10000 bankroll to start out with, at a minimum, because even if you are betting small and only winning $100 a day, that bankroll ensures you 100 days of betting.

    The last $5000 I would keep in a bank account as an emergency non-gambling fund. If it doesn't work out and you go bust, you will at least have enough money to go back home and start getting on with your life. If you tried to live the dream and failed, no shame in that, at least you made your attempt. Start saving again, hope you learn from your lessons, and decide if you want to take another shot.

    Anyone went out there who is currently living the dream? How much did you take out there to get started? How long did it take you to become self-sufficient, where your winnings were paying for your living expenses?

    This is the most amazing post iv seen in a very long time. I really believed I was the only one that is planning this. I will Let you know how my dream turns out. I am in the process of taking $50,000 out to vegas and making a run at my dream. This 50k is only for the poker and sports book dream all other expenses are coming from separate funds .
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Beergut:

    If you think you want to 'live the dream' and move to Vegas and make a living as a sports bettor/poker player/professional gambler, how much money do you need?

    At a minimum, I think it would be $25000, if not more. Figure you need $10000 to pay for one year in rent at an apartment, including any security deposit. You need a $10000 bankroll to start out with, at a minimum, because even if you are betting small and only winning $100 a day, that bankroll ensures you 100 days of betting.

    The last $5000 I would keep in a bank account as an emergency non-gambling fund. If it doesn't work out and you go bust, you will at least have enough money to go back home and start getting on with your life. If you tried to live the dream and failed, no shame in that, at least you made your attempt. Start saving again, hope you learn from your lessons, and decide if you want to take another shot.

    Anyone went out there who is currently living the dream? How much did you take out there to get started? How long did it take you to become self-sufficient, where your winnings were paying for your living expenses?

    This is the most amazing post iv seen in a very long time. I really believed I was the only one that is planning this. I will Let you know how my dream turns out. I am in the process of taking $50,000 out to vegas and making a run at my dream. This 50k is only for the poker and sports book dream all other expenses are coming from separate funds .
     
    pokerfacekk
    pokerfacekk
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2011
    Posts: 15
    Posted: Jul. 26, 2013 - 1:50 PM ET #423

    Quote Originally Posted by newyorkslim:

    This dream is my reality. I am leaving on the 11th. I bought a condo for cash in Summerlin and a 4k car. Left my GF of 5 years as she thought the idea was crazy. Buffalo will always be here if I go bust. 

    Monthly nut appears to be about 1k. My plan is to stay away from the tables and just bet sports. 

    I am not wondering if I will do well. I know I will. 

    I love it!!!!!!!!! Good luck my friend
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by newyorkslim:

    This dream is my reality. I am leaving on the 11th. I bought a condo for cash in Summerlin and a 4k car. Left my GF of 5 years as she thought the idea was crazy. Buffalo will always be here if I go bust. 

    Monthly nut appears to be about 1k. My plan is to stay away from the tables and just bet sports. 

    I am not wondering if I will do well. I know I will. 

    I love it!!!!!!!!! Good luck my friend
     
    ShadowWarrior
    ShadowWarrior
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 7112
    Posted: Jul. 27, 2013 - 2:37 PM ET #424

    Slim and Beergut may be gone.  trim88.  Haleiwa is rugged to handle, it is the North Shore after all.  My Rockpiles is the south shore, much more manageable.  On the north shore I go to soft spots like Chun's Reef or Puena Pt.  longer ago I went to Jocko's and Laniakea.
        I may be trying this spot near Kewalo's called Straight Outs.  A church friend told me come out and give it a try as the crowd is mellow.  Rockpiles is getting so crowded with stand up paddle boarders, long boarders, short boarders like me, lots of instructionals with their beginners.  I manage to get some waves but not like in my younger days when I could paddle better.   Injured my foot paddle boarding and has taken awhile for me to heal up.  Surfing recreationally is great way for me to stay in shape and keep in tune with nature and the younger generation.  My regular friends my age are cool but none surf so I am on my own.
    Reply
    Slim and Beergut may be gone.  trim88.  Haleiwa is rugged to handle, it is the North Shore after all.  My Rockpiles is the south shore, much more manageable.  On the north shore I go to soft spots like Chun's Reef or Puena Pt.  longer ago I went to Jocko's and Laniakea.
        I may be trying this spot near Kewalo's called Straight Outs.  A church friend told me come out and give it a try as the crowd is mellow.  Rockpiles is getting so crowded with stand up paddle boarders, long boarders, short boarders like me, lots of instructionals with their beginners.  I manage to get some waves but not like in my younger days when I could paddle better.   Injured my foot paddle boarding and has taken awhile for me to heal up.  Surfing recreationally is great way for me to stay in shape and keep in tune with nature and the younger generation.  My regular friends my age are cool but none surf so I am on my own.
     
     
    ShadowWarrior
    ShadowWarrior
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 7112
    Posted: Jul. 28, 2013 - 11:22 AM ET #425

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Hunter:

    Good post, I am considering doing this Oct. of 2014 when I retire. My pension will be $14,000/ yr or so and will have about $10K in savings. Places seem to be dirt cheap there.

    Heard u can buy a home for 60k there.  Probably a repo.  Lots of islanders have transmigrated to US mainland.  Some have done very well in CA, AZ, WA and other locations.  The high cost of living here has kept many away from returning.  An article here said a home sold here might get 6 or 7homes say in Detroit, MI.   420k divided by 60k.  Probably freeze there,  heat might kill me in NV or at least the AC bills.  The place won't make you happy if you are not happy IMO.
    Most of us are searching for external or material rewards for our happiness.  I learned a long time ago that you need a combination of health, wealth and harmony to have happiness and then it will all be temporary as life itself.!

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Hunter:

    Good post, I am considering doing this Oct. of 2014 when I retire. My pension will be $14,000/ yr or so and will have about $10K in savings. Places seem to be dirt cheap there.

    Heard u can buy a home for 60k there.  Probably a repo.  Lots of islanders have transmigrated to US mainland.  Some have done very well in CA, AZ, WA and other locations.  The high cost of living here has kept many away from returning.  An article here said a home sold here might get 6 or 7homes say in Detroit, MI.   420k divided by 60k.  Probably freeze there,  heat might kill me in NV or at least the AC bills.  The place won't make you happy if you are not happy IMO.
    Most of us are searching for external or material rewards for our happiness.  I learned a long time ago that you need a combination of health, wealth and harmony to have happiness and then it will all be temporary as life itself.!

    All Forums | Las Vegas
    «First Previous 171819 ... 181920 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,365
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,971
    • PART DEUX 166
    • Week 6 Money 9,192
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 855
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,855
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 438
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,794
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,511
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,276

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.