• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | NBA Betting Forum

    LATE POST but still a worthwhile WRITE-UP if you catch it for the NETS@LAKERS!!!!

    «First Previous 123456
    scalabrine
    Greyhound
    begginerboy
    Messy
    bSavvy
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 8258
    Posts: 143
    «First Previous 123456
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 12:37 PM ET #126

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyhound:

    Been hanging around Covers for a long time, seen probably hundreds of guys that get hot for awhile, get huge views and popularity,  and then the flame burns out.    


    I remember I guy named Greenbacks back in 2008.    ,   that guy could do no wrong for awhile.        


    Most of them end up getting banned.    

    Ya haven't seen guys with write-ups, in quantity and quality, the size and the approach to capping I have with what I post and I'll have a dozen guys who've been here a long time to vouch for that.

    I've been here when it started and was on wagerline long before so I know who's who.

    It's nice to see you in a thread which is one of my three losers this year but of course you wouldn't do it in all the other winners or how would you look? Pretty bad. And this looks pretty bad even in a thread that didn't hit.

    NOW EVERYONE, CARRY ON! SINGLE FILE NOW YA HEAR! March in place! Left right left right. Greyhound is in the building and he is gonna let us know what's what and who's who!!!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyhound:

    Been hanging around Covers for a long time, seen probably hundreds of guys that get hot for awhile, get huge views and popularity,  and then the flame burns out.    


    I remember I guy named Greenbacks back in 2008.    ,   that guy could do no wrong for awhile.        


    Most of them end up getting banned.    

    Ya haven't seen guys with write-ups, in quantity and quality, the size and the approach to capping I have with what I post and I'll have a dozen guys who've been here a long time to vouch for that.

    I've been here when it started and was on wagerline long before so I know who's who.

    It's nice to see you in a thread which is one of my three losers this year but of course you wouldn't do it in all the other winners or how would you look? Pretty bad. And this looks pretty bad even in a thread that didn't hit.

    NOW EVERYONE, CARRY ON! SINGLE FILE NOW YA HEAR! March in place! Left right left right. Greyhound is in the building and he is gonna let us know what's what and who's who!!!
     
    Greyhound
    Greyhound
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 22305
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 1:08 PM ET #127

    Good luck in the future Scalabrine.         
    Reply
    Good luck in the future Scalabrine.         
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 1:09 PM ET #128

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyhound:

    Good luck in the future Scalabrine.         
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyhound:

    Good luck in the future Scalabrine.         
     
    begginerboy
    begginerboy
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2013
    Posts: 15267
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 1:21 PM ET #129

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    Wow. I'm sorry to hear she said that because when that happens, some serious soul searching is in order which you are, by what you reveal in this writing, in the process of.

    When you say you've become numb, you immediately reminded me of a scene from a Twilight Zone episode called A Game Of Pool in a match between a world champ (who is actually dead) and a degen. pool hall player is about to sink the winning shot.

    The world champ says: "Ya know, there's more to life than this pool hall. Ya gotta get out a little... I may not look the part Jesse, but I've made love, walked uphill, swam in the ocean. When I think of all the wonderful things to see and do, it hurts me...it hurts me to see you rotting your life away in this miserable dark hall!"

    Of course, the degen pool player pays him no mind and sinks the winning shot, sealing his fate in this life and the afterlife as 'greatest of all time,' a mantle he will have to bear for eternity until someone takes if from him as he took it from the world champ.

    When I saw that scene when I was 13, I told myself is never get to the point where my life would be dominated by an addiction, gambling or otherwise.

    I play just enough to not make me worry about the money, but even the small amounts have me stressed and therein lies the burden of gambling.

    As you described, even if you are profitable, the time away from the world, be it basic pleasures, or even your own child will cost far more than anything you put on a game.

    I will say I have never been a compulsive gambler and you do not have to quit betting the game to find balance.

    But the way you described it, I think, maybe after the season ends, you should take a hiatus to make up for everything you feel you've been missing out on in life.

    The way it worked for me many times? Do not check the lines. You can watch games and highlights but do not read anything that has lines connected to it.

    I've done this and in about 3 to 4 weeks the urge to bet will subside greatly. Months will pass and you will be spending time with people that matter as well as doing things you want to instead of going crazy about a game. Your phone and the scores it transmits plays a big role in this. Check final scores only if you can. The win or loss will be the same in the end.

    Lastly be proud of the profit you've earned! And more importantly, PRESERVE it. I know you are afraid of losing it but taking money from the house, especially a significant sum like that is quite a skill. Use it on what matters while disconnecting yourself from the game. Start a sel-imposed gambling detox after the season has ended but you can start weening yourself off now. In the end you will be more disciplined than you ever thought you were capable of.

    Just as I suspected, Scal, you are a mensch. One of the nicest, most thoughtful posts anyone has written (and most guys here will probably never bother to read it or think about it). I wish we could frame it. I grew up on those old twilight zone episodes as well and recall that one vividly. Of course, the reason it home for me was because my father was/is a compulsive gambler. Something I too, vowed never to become. I turned to gambling last year out of sheer necessity. I'm a stay at home dad with no income for bills and groceries and no funding to work on my dissertation (which is, ironically enough, on the topic of failure). I reached out to a couple of guys here on covers for help (as far as how to approach this gig) but no one here (who is successful) wants to give away their secrets and I understand, since knowledge is their only edge. In theory, I should be very good at this, since patience is one of my virtues. In fact, I've been waiting for something to happen my entire life (not sure what, but like the characters in Beckett's famous play,I wait). But what nullifies this virtue is my inability to handle losing. I've always been a bad loser. So I chase my losses, and that almost never works out. The other thing that hampers my abilities is my OCD, doesn't allow me to get the thought of losing out of my head, as I obsess over it. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to write. I really appreciate your advice and will take it to heart. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    Wow. I'm sorry to hear she said that because when that happens, some serious soul searching is in order which you are, by what you reveal in this writing, in the process of.

    When you say you've become numb, you immediately reminded me of a scene from a Twilight Zone episode called A Game Of Pool in a match between a world champ (who is actually dead) and a degen. pool hall player is about to sink the winning shot.

    The world champ says: "Ya know, there's more to life than this pool hall. Ya gotta get out a little... I may not look the part Jesse, but I've made love, walked uphill, swam in the ocean. When I think of all the wonderful things to see and do, it hurts me...it hurts me to see you rotting your life away in this miserable dark hall!"

    Of course, the degen pool player pays him no mind and sinks the winning shot, sealing his fate in this life and the afterlife as 'greatest of all time,' a mantle he will have to bear for eternity until someone takes if from him as he took it from the world champ.

    When I saw that scene when I was 13, I told myself is never get to the point where my life would be dominated by an addiction, gambling or otherwise.

    I play just enough to not make me worry about the money, but even the small amounts have me stressed and therein lies the burden of gambling.

    As you described, even if you are profitable, the time away from the world, be it basic pleasures, or even your own child will cost far more than anything you put on a game.

    I will say I have never been a compulsive gambler and you do not have to quit betting the game to find balance.

    But the way you described it, I think, maybe after the season ends, you should take a hiatus to make up for everything you feel you've been missing out on in life.

    The way it worked for me many times? Do not check the lines. You can watch games and highlights but do not read anything that has lines connected to it.

    I've done this and in about 3 to 4 weeks the urge to bet will subside greatly. Months will pass and you will be spending time with people that matter as well as doing things you want to instead of going crazy about a game. Your phone and the scores it transmits plays a big role in this. Check final scores only if you can. The win or loss will be the same in the end.

    Lastly be proud of the profit you've earned! And more importantly, PRESERVE it. I know you are afraid of losing it but taking money from the house, especially a significant sum like that is quite a skill. Use it on what matters while disconnecting yourself from the game. Start a sel-imposed gambling detox after the season has ended but you can start weening yourself off now. In the end you will be more disciplined than you ever thought you were capable of.

    Just as I suspected, Scal, you are a mensch. One of the nicest, most thoughtful posts anyone has written (and most guys here will probably never bother to read it or think about it). I wish we could frame it. I grew up on those old twilight zone episodes as well and recall that one vividly. Of course, the reason it home for me was because my father was/is a compulsive gambler. Something I too, vowed never to become. I turned to gambling last year out of sheer necessity. I'm a stay at home dad with no income for bills and groceries and no funding to work on my dissertation (which is, ironically enough, on the topic of failure). I reached out to a couple of guys here on covers for help (as far as how to approach this gig) but no one here (who is successful) wants to give away their secrets and I understand, since knowledge is their only edge. In theory, I should be very good at this, since patience is one of my virtues. In fact, I've been waiting for something to happen my entire life (not sure what, but like the characters in Beckett's famous play,I wait). But what nullifies this virtue is my inability to handle losing. I've always been a bad loser. So I chase my losses, and that almost never works out. The other thing that hampers my abilities is my OCD, doesn't allow me to get the thought of losing out of my head, as I obsess over it. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to write. I really appreciate your advice and will take it to heart. 
     
    Messy
    Messy
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2010
    Posts: 2900
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 1:25 PM ET #130

    "The media crush has already begun.

    In addition to that, Deron has already insinuated his displeasure with the singing due to the distraction it will cause.

    The distraction is in full force tonight and we only get a single game to take advantage of it. While id love for this to be the Thunder to crush them, we have to deal with the Lakers here.

    Well if there is one guy you do not want distracted, sulking, and finding an excuse for a media crush for his poor play if you are a Nets backers, it's Deron."
     
    Deron Williams led the way with 30 points, seven assists and a career-high six steals as visiting Brooklyn topped Los Angeles in Jason Collins’ return to the NBA.
     
    Enjoy your write-ups and picks, but you really missed the mark last night. BOL with your future picks.
    Reply
    "The media crush has already begun.

    In addition to that, Deron has already insinuated his displeasure with the singing due to the distraction it will cause.

    The distraction is in full force tonight and we only get a single game to take advantage of it. While id love for this to be the Thunder to crush them, we have to deal with the Lakers here.

    Well if there is one guy you do not want distracted, sulking, and finding an excuse for a media crush for his poor play if you are a Nets backers, it's Deron."
     
    Deron Williams led the way with 30 points, seven assists and a career-high six steals as visiting Brooklyn topped Los Angeles in Jason Collins’ return to the NBA.
     
    Enjoy your write-ups and picks, but you really missed the mark last night. BOL with your future picks.
     
    bSavvy
    bSavvy
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2014
    Posts: 38
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 1:47 PM ET #131

    Very deep stuff in this thread. As someone relatively new to this part of sports I found this thread to be very insightful
    Reply
    Very deep stuff in this thread. As someone relatively new to this part of sports I found this thread to be very insightful
     
    TitosTacos
    TitosTacos
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2014
    Posts: 166
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 1:58 PM ET #132

    You're the man Scal. I was born and raised in LA and still live here. I've been following the Lakers my whole life. It's been a rough season with a lot of frustration built up over the last couple of years but I was on board with you this game. I thought it was a great play especially with your breakdown. Thanks for the insight. It's always appreciated.
    Reply
    You're the man Scal. I was born and raised in LA and still live here. I've been following the Lakers my whole life. It's been a rough season with a lot of frustration built up over the last couple of years but I was on board with you this game. I thought it was a great play especially with your breakdown. Thanks for the insight. It's always appreciated.
     
    slick15
    slick15
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 22711
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 1:59 PM ET #133

    This thread is a losing play....Lakers +3

    But you guys are giving him lots of love.

    You don`t ever see that at covers....Anybody else would get bashed.....But not here.

    Props to you guys for being civil
    Reply
    This thread is a losing play....Lakers +3

    But you guys are giving him lots of love.

    You don`t ever see that at covers....Anybody else would get bashed.....But not here.

    Props to you guys for being civil
     
    nicolas5ca
    nicolas5ca
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2009
    Posts: 20
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 2:11 PM ET #134

    i agree stop with the soap opera please stop , how bout some b-ball talk ile take new york is the play folks and gimme  a little splash on the OVER in mil philly game two bad teams two bad defenses = OVER you guys are thinking too much snap out of it allready
    Reply
    i agree stop with the soap opera please stop , how bout some b-ball talk ile take new york is the play folks and gimme  a little splash on the OVER in mil philly game two bad teams two bad defenses = OVER you guys are thinking too much snap out of it allready
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 6:07 PM ET #135

    Quote Originally Posted by begginerboy:


    Just as I suspected, Scal, you are a mensch. One of the nicest, most thoughtful posts anyone has written (and most guys here will probably never bother to read it or think about it). I wish we could frame it. I grew up on those old twilight zone episodes as well and recall that one vividly. Of course, the reason it home for me was because my father was/is a compulsive gambler. Something I too, vowed never to become. I turned to gambling last year out of sheer necessity. I'm a stay at home dad with no income for bills and groceries and no funding to work on my dissertation (which is, ironically enough, on the topic of failure). I reached out to a couple of guys here on covers for help (as far as how to approach this gig) but no one here (who is successful) wants to give away their secrets and I understand, since knowledge is their only edge. In theory, I should be very good at this, since patience is one of my virtues. In fact, I've been waiting for something to happen my entire life (not sure what, but like the characters in Beckett's famous play,I wait). But what nullifies this virtue is my inability to handle losing. I've always been a bad loser. So I chase my losses, and that almost never works out. The other thing that hampers my abilities is my OCD, doesn't allow me to get the thought of losing out of my head, as I obsess over it. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to write. I really appreciate your advice and will take it to heart. 

    Thanks for the kind words!

    I am compelled to address several things in your post because of the impact gambling has on your life and more importantly, your daughter's life.

    1) You do it out of necessity.

    This obviously creates an extraordinary psychological burden upon you to cap effectively but  also handle the daily stresses of life in addition to gambling stress.

    This is just my own experience. I know several guys who have tried 'pro' betting for a living. I say this unequivocally: Every single one of them had to quit or were forced to quit and return to the labor force after going broke.

    That demonstrated to me that only a precious few can weather the storm of gambling, be it discipline and capital available for such a pursuit.

    Have you ever heard of Haralabos Vouglaris? He is a professional NBA bettor and lives the high life. Unfortunately he runs very sophisticated modeling programs (to the point where he hires programmers at $100k a year) to find inefficiencies in totals betting.

    Having seen your posts, you are not such a bettor and even if you were, you wouldn't have the capital to outlay 100k a year to anyone. I am in the same boat.

    This is, in my view, the only effective way to pilfer money from the books on a professional betting level over the long term. Wall Street arbitrage trading works in a similar way.

    Why am I saying this? Because we both have similar betting styles and here I am betting for a decent profit like you but on my end, it's hobby. This allows me several advantages over your necessity capping not limited to stress but also extending to discipline.

    It is extremely hard to cap in the fashion like you are. Still as noted, you have had some very nice success! I would like you to enjoy the fruits of that success with what you have won.

    If there is any way for you to finish the dissertation sooner than later (easier said than done) do so and dive straight into the job market with the same fervor you give to betting.

    I have found no more effective way to maintain a positive cash flow for my personal finances than to sell my labor (find a regular job). It is boring, it is stressful, it is mundane BUT it pays every week without fail to maintain a certain lifestyle and a minimum standard of living. And that allows me the disposable income to cap and turn those earnings into more income, with a clear mind and as a hobby.

    There are no easy answers here but moving toward the above and finishing your dissertation ASAP is of the highest importance. And even if, as a last resort, you have to ditch the PhD pursuit, you can so this and still be VERY successful. I know several people who have made such a decision as well.

    2) Your daughter

    Do you see how you referred to your father? As a compulsive gambler. This is an overriding legacy he now owns in your mind.

    I see you write it with sadness and regret that he could have spent so much more of his life doing something else, serving a greater purpose and ultimately spending more time with the people he loves. 

    Your daughter currently has this view of you given you disclosed what she said to you.

    Simply put, one day you will pass away. You will not want your legacy to your daughter to be the legacy your father has in your mind right now, as a gambler.

    Addiction is a terrible life-defining characteristic. Philip Seymour Hoffman will forever be remembered as a heroin addict by the general public, his wife, and his children. This is one of the great actors of our time and that is how he will be remembered.

    Gambling, albeit of lesser 'scarlet letter' stain, still will be powerfully felt within the family confines.

    I just offer this as personal consideration, not condemnation and in no way is it shameful.


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by begginerboy:


    Just as I suspected, Scal, you are a mensch. One of the nicest, most thoughtful posts anyone has written (and most guys here will probably never bother to read it or think about it). I wish we could frame it. I grew up on those old twilight zone episodes as well and recall that one vividly. Of course, the reason it home for me was because my father was/is a compulsive gambler. Something I too, vowed never to become. I turned to gambling last year out of sheer necessity. I'm a stay at home dad with no income for bills and groceries and no funding to work on my dissertation (which is, ironically enough, on the topic of failure). I reached out to a couple of guys here on covers for help (as far as how to approach this gig) but no one here (who is successful) wants to give away their secrets and I understand, since knowledge is their only edge. In theory, I should be very good at this, since patience is one of my virtues. In fact, I've been waiting for something to happen my entire life (not sure what, but like the characters in Beckett's famous play,I wait). But what nullifies this virtue is my inability to handle losing. I've always been a bad loser. So I chase my losses, and that almost never works out. The other thing that hampers my abilities is my OCD, doesn't allow me to get the thought of losing out of my head, as I obsess over it. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to write. I really appreciate your advice and will take it to heart. 

    Thanks for the kind words!

    I am compelled to address several things in your post because of the impact gambling has on your life and more importantly, your daughter's life.

    1) You do it out of necessity.

    This obviously creates an extraordinary psychological burden upon you to cap effectively but  also handle the daily stresses of life in addition to gambling stress.

    This is just my own experience. I know several guys who have tried 'pro' betting for a living. I say this unequivocally: Every single one of them had to quit or were forced to quit and return to the labor force after going broke.

    That demonstrated to me that only a precious few can weather the storm of gambling, be it discipline and capital available for such a pursuit.

    Have you ever heard of Haralabos Vouglaris? He is a professional NBA bettor and lives the high life. Unfortunately he runs very sophisticated modeling programs (to the point where he hires programmers at $100k a year) to find inefficiencies in totals betting.

    Having seen your posts, you are not such a bettor and even if you were, you wouldn't have the capital to outlay 100k a year to anyone. I am in the same boat.

    This is, in my view, the only effective way to pilfer money from the books on a professional betting level over the long term. Wall Street arbitrage trading works in a similar way.

    Why am I saying this? Because we both have similar betting styles and here I am betting for a decent profit like you but on my end, it's hobby. This allows me several advantages over your necessity capping not limited to stress but also extending to discipline.

    It is extremely hard to cap in the fashion like you are. Still as noted, you have had some very nice success! I would like you to enjoy the fruits of that success with what you have won.

    If there is any way for you to finish the dissertation sooner than later (easier said than done) do so and dive straight into the job market with the same fervor you give to betting.

    I have found no more effective way to maintain a positive cash flow for my personal finances than to sell my labor (find a regular job). It is boring, it is stressful, it is mundane BUT it pays every week without fail to maintain a certain lifestyle and a minimum standard of living. And that allows me the disposable income to cap and turn those earnings into more income, with a clear mind and as a hobby.

    There are no easy answers here but moving toward the above and finishing your dissertation ASAP is of the highest importance. And even if, as a last resort, you have to ditch the PhD pursuit, you can so this and still be VERY successful. I know several people who have made such a decision as well.

    2) Your daughter

    Do you see how you referred to your father? As a compulsive gambler. This is an overriding legacy he now owns in your mind.

    I see you write it with sadness and regret that he could have spent so much more of his life doing something else, serving a greater purpose and ultimately spending more time with the people he loves. 

    Your daughter currently has this view of you given you disclosed what she said to you.

    Simply put, one day you will pass away. You will not want your legacy to your daughter to be the legacy your father has in your mind right now, as a gambler.

    Addiction is a terrible life-defining characteristic. Philip Seymour Hoffman will forever be remembered as a heroin addict by the general public, his wife, and his children. This is one of the great actors of our time and that is how he will be remembered.

    Gambling, albeit of lesser 'scarlet letter' stain, still will be powerfully felt within the family confines.

    I just offer this as personal consideration, not condemnation and in no way is it shameful.


     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 6:08 PM ET #136

    3) Chasing losses

    This is the demise of all gamblers. Books/Casinos know full well the lure of making your money back overrides any rational decision making.

    Here is what I do to reorient my brain (key to avoiding this self-destructive tendency) every single time I have the urge to chase.

    I imagine a book as a poker player sitting across from me with several billion dollars in front of him.

    I have several thousand in front of me.

    He tells me he will make a deal with me in our game. He will deal me pocket aces every single hand but he is going to go all in blind very single hand. He promises to have a lower pocket pair in his hand. I have to option to fold or play each hand since he is already all in. We can only play winner take all before anyone quits.

    If I agree to these terms, the reality is I cannot win and I will go bust every single time.

    I do not have the bankroll in front of me to even make a dent in his bankroll even if I am an 82% favorite every hand (the maximum favorite percentage if he also holds a lower pocket pair).

    What I have just done is set up the ideal conditions to win. I hold the best hand in poker preflop. He holds a pocket pair which I dominate as an 82% favorite. I would have no reason to fold since my hand will never change.

    What is the problem? Even under the most ideal conditions one can imagine, I will still go broke because of his bankroll size.


    Now if you have an 82% success rate in NBA capping, you are exactly like the poker player with several thousand dollars above if you chase. There is no victory which is achievable. The casino will get every dollar you have in the end. It may take days. It may take years. But they will get every penny because of their bankroll size which will swallow yours, possibly in a single bet.

    Every time you have the urge to chase, every time your discipline prevents you from flat betting, think of the player across from you and he will get every dollar from you eventually if you fail to flat bet.

    Hope this helps. Just as a footnote, there are guys on here that will make you look like a choir boy and have their fingers so far inside their ears with regard to any advice, their fingertips are touching.

    You deserve a life different than the one you are living now. And you can have it! It's far easier to achieve than gambling professionally! Far, far easier!!!

    And you watch the Twilight Zone. That is someone who already has a great head start toward success! 
    Reply
    3) Chasing losses

    This is the demise of all gamblers. Books/Casinos know full well the lure of making your money back overrides any rational decision making.

    Here is what I do to reorient my brain (key to avoiding this self-destructive tendency) every single time I have the urge to chase.

    I imagine a book as a poker player sitting across from me with several billion dollars in front of him.

    I have several thousand in front of me.

    He tells me he will make a deal with me in our game. He will deal me pocket aces every single hand but he is going to go all in blind very single hand. He promises to have a lower pocket pair in his hand. I have to option to fold or play each hand since he is already all in. We can only play winner take all before anyone quits.

    If I agree to these terms, the reality is I cannot win and I will go bust every single time.

    I do not have the bankroll in front of me to even make a dent in his bankroll even if I am an 82% favorite every hand (the maximum favorite percentage if he also holds a lower pocket pair).

    What I have just done is set up the ideal conditions to win. I hold the best hand in poker preflop. He holds a pocket pair which I dominate as an 82% favorite. I would have no reason to fold since my hand will never change.

    What is the problem? Even under the most ideal conditions one can imagine, I will still go broke because of his bankroll size.


    Now if you have an 82% success rate in NBA capping, you are exactly like the poker player with several thousand dollars above if you chase. There is no victory which is achievable. The casino will get every dollar you have in the end. It may take days. It may take years. But they will get every penny because of their bankroll size which will swallow yours, possibly in a single bet.

    Every time you have the urge to chase, every time your discipline prevents you from flat betting, think of the player across from you and he will get every dollar from you eventually if you fail to flat bet.

    Hope this helps. Just as a footnote, there are guys on here that will make you look like a choir boy and have their fingers so far inside their ears with regard to any advice, their fingertips are touching.

    You deserve a life different than the one you are living now. And you can have it! It's far easier to achieve than gambling professionally! Far, far easier!!!

    And you watch the Twilight Zone. That is someone who already has a great head start toward success! 
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 6:09 PM ET #137

    Quote Originally Posted by Messy:

    "The media crush has already begun.

    In addition to that, Deron has already insinuated his displeasure with the singing due to the distraction it will cause.

    The distraction is in full force tonight and we only get a single game to take advantage of it. While id love for this to be the Thunder to crush them, we have to deal with the Lakers here.

    Well if there is one guy you do not want distracted, sulking, and finding an excuse for a media crush for his poor play if you are a Nets backers, it's Deron."
     
    Deron Williams led the way with 30 points, seven assists and a career-high six steals as visiting Brooklyn topped Los Angeles in Jason Collins’ return to the NBA.
     
    Enjoy your write-ups and picks, but you really missed the mark last night. BOL with your future picks.

    I was absolutely wrong about that and I blame his performance on the 0-18 stat at Staples.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Messy:

    "The media crush has already begun.

    In addition to that, Deron has already insinuated his displeasure with the singing due to the distraction it will cause.

    The distraction is in full force tonight and we only get a single game to take advantage of it. While id love for this to be the Thunder to crush them, we have to deal with the Lakers here.

    Well if there is one guy you do not want distracted, sulking, and finding an excuse for a media crush for his poor play if you are a Nets backers, it's Deron."
     
    Deron Williams led the way with 30 points, seven assists and a career-high six steals as visiting Brooklyn topped Los Angeles in Jason Collins’ return to the NBA.
     
    Enjoy your write-ups and picks, but you really missed the mark last night. BOL with your future picks.

    I was absolutely wrong about that and I blame his performance on the 0-18 stat at Staples.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 6:10 PM ET #138

    Quote Originally Posted by bSavvy:

    Very deep stuff in this thread. As someone relatively new to this part of sports I found this thread to be very insightful
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by bSavvy:

    Very deep stuff in this thread. As someone relatively new to this part of sports I found this thread to be very insightful
     
    ghostfaceripper
    ghostfaceripper
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2011
    Posts: 2602
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 6:12 PM ET #139

    This is better than an episode of Dr. Phil!   

    The red haired guy that was always clapping on the Celtics and Bulls bench has some good advice.

    good luck everyone!

    All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy
    Reply

    This is better than an episode of Dr. Phil!   

    The red haired guy that was always clapping on the Celtics and Bulls bench has some good advice.

    good luck everyone!

     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 6:12 PM ET #140

    Quote Originally Posted by TitosTacos:

    You're the man Scal. I was born and raised in LA and still live here. I've been following the Lakers my whole life. It's been a rough season with a lot of frustration built up over the last couple of years but I was on board with you this game. I thought it was a great play especially with your breakdown. Thanks for the insight. It's always appreciated.
    These have to be the roughest of rough times as a Laker fan. Although last year with Dwight was worse, despite the better record and playoffs, in my opinion because you just couldn't embrace that malcontent. He was such an embarrassment. He did years and years of damage to the lakers.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by TitosTacos:

    You're the man Scal. I was born and raised in LA and still live here. I've been following the Lakers my whole life. It's been a rough season with a lot of frustration built up over the last couple of years but I was on board with you this game. I thought it was a great play especially with your breakdown. Thanks for the insight. It's always appreciated.
    These have to be the roughest of rough times as a Laker fan. Although last year with Dwight was worse, despite the better record and playoffs, in my opinion because you just couldn't embrace that malcontent. He was such an embarrassment. He did years and years of damage to the lakers.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 6:12 PM ET #141

    Quote Originally Posted by slick15:

    This thread is a losing play....Lakers +3

    But you guys are giving him lots of love.

    You don`t ever see that at covers....Anybody else would get bashed.....But not here.

    Props to you guys for being civil
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by slick15:

    This thread is a losing play....Lakers +3

    But you guys are giving him lots of love.

    You don`t ever see that at covers....Anybody else would get bashed.....But not here.

    Props to you guys for being civil
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 6:14 PM ET #142

    Quote Originally Posted by nicolas5ca:

    i agree stop with the soap opera please stop , how bout some b-ball talk ile take new york is the play folks and gimme  a little splash on the OVER in mil philly game two bad teams two bad defenses = OVER you guys are thinking too much snap out of it allready

    These are people's lives man, not an episode of Dynasty. One life and its issues serve as a template for many. Have some respect for that.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolas5ca:

    i agree stop with the soap opera please stop , how bout some b-ball talk ile take new york is the play folks and gimme  a little splash on the OVER in mil philly game two bad teams two bad defenses = OVER you guys are thinking too much snap out of it allready

    These are people's lives man, not an episode of Dynasty. One life and its issues serve as a template for many. Have some respect for that.
     
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 24, 2014 - 6:14 PM ET #143

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostfaceripper:

    This is better than an episode of Dr. Phil!   

    The red haired guy that was always clapping on the Celtics and Bulls bench has some good advice.

    good luck everyone!


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostfaceripper:

    This is better than an episode of Dr. Phil!   

    The red haired guy that was always clapping on the Celtics and Bulls bench has some good advice.

    good luck everyone!


    All Forums | NBA Betting Forum
    «First Previous 123456

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,673
    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 457,341
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,053
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 103,923
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,452
    • ***Macwesties * Sun. Oct. 04, 2026 * Week #4 * NFL Football Plays*** 6,182
    • MLB Playoffs 5,793
    • Sunday nFl Wk 4 7,531
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,308
    • Public Indicator Calculations 2026 19,020

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.