Posted:
#1
I'm not gonna go crazy with this play since we are backing one of the worst teams in the NBA and with this line, or all intents and purposes, we need need an outright win. I was busy and I needed injury confirmations so this is a late post.
I'm gonna take the Lakers +3 over the Nets (you can find it at 3 but I'm not capping this game for .5 pt difference if you get it at 2.5).
This write up won't be as long as others since I'm short on time but I like what I see and I will be betting this game.
What are the reasons for backing the Lakers and fading the Nets?
1) How have the Nets been playing lately?
When you back crappy teams, you better have a lot of reasons for doing so. I have a lot of reasons to back the Lake Show.
Espn and NBA TV is fixated on the Nets record after the new year which is among the best in the league.
But let's look at how they've played this month and how they looked even in their wins.
2/1 - lost 96-97 @ Pacers but covered. Nothing to be ashamed of there
2/3 - won 108-102 at home vs the atrocious Sixers but failed to cover. Unimpressive win and a loss ATS
2/6 - won 89-103 at home vs the spurs and covered against a spurs team without Duncan Parker or Manu. Again a cover is a cover but nothing to brag about (and they were down big in the first quarter of that game to backups but regrouped after the half to put them away).
2/7 lost 95-111 @ Detroit. Crushed outright and ATS.
2/9 beat the Pelicans at home and covered 81-93. Give them credit for that.
2/12 Beat the Bobcats 89-105 at home. Bobcats were totally lifeless after beating the Mavs at home the night before and then flying out to Brooklyn. Big letdown game for them and the nets took full advantage but not an impressive win when looked at deeper.
2/13 got manhandled by the Bulls 76-92 and played one of their worst games of the season. Loss ATS.
2/19 Won and covered against the Jazz 105-99. Credit is given but again, went down big in the first quarter and had to regroup against one of the NBA's worst to win the 2nd half and game.
2/22 lost to a short handed Golden State team without their two big men in Lee and Bogut and failed to cover 86-93
So their results for the month so far?
One of the NBA's "hottest" teams to start the year is 5-4 ATS in their last 5 and 5 of those covers are against: Jazz, Pelicans, Bobcats on a B2B home/away letdown spot after an emotional win, a completely gutted Spurs team while playing at home, and in a loss to the Pacers.
Not anything to brag about.
The noncovers were even more disturbing:
Vs. An undermanned Warriors team, a unhealthy Bulls team they should still be seeking revenge for since last year, a thrashing by the Pistons and that was before they fired Mo Cheeks and a noncover against the worst team in the NBA.
Sum it up? Not much to write home about the Nets in February after a hot January.
Lakers at home with points is attractive.
