• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Steelers-Browns Picks
      • Week 4 Survivor Picks
      • NFL Week 4 Odds
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Investments

    MAY MARKET THREAD

    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»
    wallstreetcappers
    Vermeer
    whereismyhat
    Gunners
    BustinPiles
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 1800
    Posts: 94
    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 12:38 PM ET #51

    Vermeer,

    I have never allowed myself the ability to sell uncovered nor got the approval to do so. Of course that limits my potential on choices but it also puts a curb on my tendencies if that makes sense.

    I really should get full options access, but being a broker during the hay day and see people lose hundreds of thousands selling uncovered, well I just never wanted the temptation.

    A bull put spread makes a ton of sense and it looks like today someone was selling the 60s uncovered, 1596 contracts trading today and nothing else in the full spectrum for Sept has traded near that number.

    Just out of curiousity, why go so far down and do a spread versus just selling the puts naked? If you are looking at the 45s and 50s, the price is only between 80 cents and a buck..is it worth locking up the capital for that small of return on the credit spread?
    Reply
    Vermeer,

    I have never allowed myself the ability to sell uncovered nor got the approval to do so. Of course that limits my potential on choices but it also puts a curb on my tendencies if that makes sense.

    I really should get full options access, but being a broker during the hay day and see people lose hundreds of thousands selling uncovered, well I just never wanted the temptation.

    A bull put spread makes a ton of sense and it looks like today someone was selling the 60s uncovered, 1596 contracts trading today and nothing else in the full spectrum for Sept has traded near that number.

    Just out of curiousity, why go so far down and do a spread versus just selling the puts naked? If you are looking at the 45s and 50s, the price is only between 80 cents and a buck..is it worth locking up the capital for that small of return on the credit spread?
     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 1:09 PM ET #52


      I have not done the above trade either, Wall, and for reasons similar to you own.I just threw it out there to see comments on it.I had similar questions about the necessity of locking up the $$ for the return.

     Anyhoo, just thought it worth the consideration for those so who deal more deeply in options than I do. I tend to be very conservative when it comes to trading, and I can  only claim relatively recent, and decidedly small experience in the options arena.(The one man I know who made fortunes therein really more of a riverboat gambler than anything else, and he really made his bones in commodities,(cotton) an even scarier place to me.)

    I only saw that recommendation in passing, on a brief paragraph on DRYS, which I now read anything that passes my way since buying the stock.


     


    Reply

      I have not done the above trade either, Wall, and for reasons similar to you own.I just threw it out there to see comments on it.I had similar questions about the necessity of locking up the $$ for the return.

     Anyhoo, just thought it worth the consideration for those so who deal more deeply in options than I do. I tend to be very conservative when it comes to trading, and I can  only claim relatively recent, and decidedly small experience in the options arena.(The one man I know who made fortunes therein really more of a riverboat gambler than anything else, and he really made his bones in commodities,(cotton) an even scarier place to me.)

    I only saw that recommendation in passing, on a brief paragraph on DRYS, which I now read anything that passes my way since buying the stock.


     


     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 1:13 PM ET #53


    PS

    I don't have 40% of my stuff in any one stock so you are much more the gambler than I when it comes to the market!!! As high as I get is around 5%.. which sometimes saves me, sometimes costs me.

    Reply

    PS

    I don't have 40% of my stuff in any one stock so you are much more the gambler than I when it comes to the market!!! As high as I get is around 5%.. which sometimes saves me, sometimes costs me.

     
    whereismyhat
    whereismyhat
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 16136
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 1:16 PM ET #54

    I hope BZP can stay at this level today and tomorrow 
     
    Someone called into Cramer's show last night asking about DRYS.  He said he would take FRO before DRYS, just thought I would let you know for chits and giggles.
    Reply
    I hope BZP can stay at this level today and tomorrow 
     
    Someone called into Cramer's show last night asking about DRYS.  He said he would take FRO before DRYS, just thought I would let you know for chits and giggles.
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 1:19 PM ET #55

    Vermeer,

    My comments were made to see what your thinking was and if you had more reasons, a second Q so to speak. I hope it didnt come off in a bad way.



    Are you long shares or calls or both?

    One comment about the stock..I would like to see the 20 and 50 above the 200 but it isnt so far..which means a fall could be fast and support would be thin. I also am noticing a decrease in volitility which is good, the day swings are lesser and lesser. I also see the bollinger bands are very wide and probably are due for more compression.

    I think this all means that the stock will slow in volume, will consolidate, hopefully in smaller day range and digest some of this move..what would be most bullish is the consolidation to be a continuation of the uptrend and allow the 20 and 50 to move over the 200 and the trend to get better footing, right now it looks shaky to me.

    My gut says that the stock will selloff on earnings and retrace into the low 80s..part of me wants to take some gains, and I have a mental stop in place if the stock begins to break down..

    Just some random thoughts there..
    Reply
    Vermeer,

    My comments were made to see what your thinking was and if you had more reasons, a second Q so to speak. I hope it didnt come off in a bad way.



    Are you long shares or calls or both?

    One comment about the stock..I would like to see the 20 and 50 above the 200 but it isnt so far..which means a fall could be fast and support would be thin. I also am noticing a decrease in volitility which is good, the day swings are lesser and lesser. I also see the bollinger bands are very wide and probably are due for more compression.

    I think this all means that the stock will slow in volume, will consolidate, hopefully in smaller day range and digest some of this move..what would be most bullish is the consolidation to be a continuation of the uptrend and allow the 20 and 50 to move over the 200 and the trend to get better footing, right now it looks shaky to me.

    My gut says that the stock will selloff on earnings and retrace into the low 80s..part of me wants to take some gains, and I have a mental stop in place if the stock begins to break down..

    Just some random thoughts there..
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 1:24 PM ET #56

    whereismyhat,

    Cramer is terrible..when I heard that I wasnt too thrilled. Cramerica dissed DRYS about 20 points ago, which is typical for him..the guy is a tout and he has and will change views on the drop of a hat. Listening to Cramer will harm your investing results and I firmly believe that.

    Nice job Gunners...FNM really pushing the market higher, big time reversal on the day, big volume.

    Vermeer, you are right..that "gamble" on DRYS was definately biting off more than I wanted..once in a while I see a trade I feel deserves the allocation..not often but at times I feel the opportunity is there and I am willing to take the risk.

    This might seem odd but I wouldnt be shocked to see DRYS go red this afternoon, or at least flat to up a little..it isnt trading that great today. I think new money is in and it is showing on the volume and price action.
    Reply
    whereismyhat,

    Cramer is terrible..when I heard that I wasnt too thrilled. Cramerica dissed DRYS about 20 points ago, which is typical for him..the guy is a tout and he has and will change views on the drop of a hat. Listening to Cramer will harm your investing results and I firmly believe that.

    Nice job Gunners...FNM really pushing the market higher, big time reversal on the day, big volume.

    Vermeer, you are right..that "gamble" on DRYS was definately biting off more than I wanted..once in a while I see a trade I feel deserves the allocation..not often but at times I feel the opportunity is there and I am willing to take the risk.

    This might seem odd but I wouldnt be shocked to see DRYS go red this afternoon, or at least flat to up a little..it isnt trading that great today. I think new money is in and it is showing on the volume and price action.
     
    Gunners
    Gunners
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2006
    Posts: 3392
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 1:33 PM ET #57

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    whereismyhat,

    Listening to Cramer will harm your investing results and I firmly believe that.

    Listening to Cramer also causes:  High blood pressure, high cholesterol, nervous twitches, muscle spasms, and the possibility of seizures.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    whereismyhat,

    Listening to Cramer will harm your investing results and I firmly believe that.

    Listening to Cramer also causes:  High blood pressure, high cholesterol, nervous twitches, muscle spasms, and the possibility of seizures.

     
    BustinPiles
    BustinPiles
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2005
    Posts: 10350
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 1:40 PM ET #58

    WS- I bailed out on DRYS before it dropped below 100 with what I had invested... It looks like it has really come back I see it is trading now at abot $92-$93 per share.  I had a nice run with them early until the market trended down.
     
    I'm looking at possibly making a move on OI... They manufacture and sell glass containers( primarily beer and wine spirits) at $54 a share
    Reply
    WS- I bailed out on DRYS before it dropped below 100 with what I had invested... It looks like it has really come back I see it is trading now at abot $92-$93 per share.  I had a nice run with them early until the market trended down.
     
    I'm looking at possibly making a move on OI... They manufacture and sell glass containers( primarily beer and wine spirits) at $54 a share
     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 1:49 PM ET #59


      No offense taken at all (or even considered)...half the stuff I throw out here is preliminary, and frankly, I tend to look for reasons opposing anything I consider doing. I am long only stock in DRYS, having cashed out the rest of DSX to add to DRYS...as you mention you have liked DRYS for some time, and I have been buying incrementally.I thought about options, but frankly, did not see anything I liked well enough (I took a couple of option losses early in the year that made me even more conservative than usual in that regard).

     My methods make me react slowly to things. I am up around 9% for the year on the entire portfolio, and consider myself lucky to be so.Lately I have been wondering whether I should cash out by June (sell in May and go away) if I reach double digits, and return around November. The election has a lot of negative possibilities, however, so I might come back buying puts!!!

    Reply

      No offense taken at all (or even considered)...half the stuff I throw out here is preliminary, and frankly, I tend to look for reasons opposing anything I consider doing. I am long only stock in DRYS, having cashed out the rest of DSX to add to DRYS...as you mention you have liked DRYS for some time, and I have been buying incrementally.I thought about options, but frankly, did not see anything I liked well enough (I took a couple of option losses early in the year that made me even more conservative than usual in that regard).

     My methods make me react slowly to things. I am up around 9% for the year on the entire portfolio, and consider myself lucky to be so.Lately I have been wondering whether I should cash out by June (sell in May and go away) if I reach double digits, and return around November. The election has a lot of negative possibilities, however, so I might come back buying puts!!!

     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 1:50 PM ET #60

     PS

    As you know, unlike Buffett, I do NOT think we are close to the end of the mess created and only temporarily "solved."

    Reply
     PS

    As you know, unlike Buffett, I do NOT think we are close to the end of the mess created and only temporarily "solved."

     
    Gunners
    Gunners
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2006
    Posts: 3392
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 1:56 PM ET #61

    STP up nice for you today whereismyhat
    Reply
    STP up nice for you today whereismyhat
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 2:13 PM ET #62

    Gunners,

    I think he sold STP, or had too tight of a stop. If he is buying other stocks as mentioned above I am sure he is out of the STP.

    Anyone else notice the big run that CNQ is on lately?

    From 65 to 90 just like DRYS in the same time frame or less.



    Vermeer, I understand that..I guess I am more open to risk than some, and at times it sucks and times it is pretty cool.




    Reply
    Gunners,

    I think he sold STP, or had too tight of a stop. If he is buying other stocks as mentioned above I am sure he is out of the STP.

    Anyone else notice the big run that CNQ is on lately?

    From 65 to 90 just like DRYS in the same time frame or less.



    Vermeer, I understand that..I guess I am more open to risk than some, and at times it sucks and times it is pretty cool.




     
    Gunners
    Gunners
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2006
    Posts: 3392
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 2:16 PM ET #63

    oops... hopefully i wasn't rubbing it in then.  sorry hat. 
     
     
    Reply
    oops... hopefully i wasn't rubbing it in then.  sorry hat. 
     
     
     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 2:36 PM ET #64


    Speaking of getting stopped out, I managed to stop out my Dad's holdings of MOS at 90 or so (up from 36)...and I see it trading at 126 now...

    Reply

    Speaking of getting stopped out, I managed to stop out my Dad's holdings of MOS at 90 or so (up from 36)...and I see it trading at 126 now...

     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 3:02 PM ET #65

    Vermeer,

    That MOS is a monster, ultra crazy trading and it shows that sometimes a stop can kill a profitable position, especially if the stop doesnt take into consideration the beta of the stock. Not saying that is the case but for many high beta stocks, the MMs can swing a stock and take out stops on all sides and whip longs and shorts in both directions.


    Reply
    Vermeer,

    That MOS is a monster, ultra crazy trading and it shows that sometimes a stop can kill a profitable position, especially if the stop doesnt take into consideration the beta of the stock. Not saying that is the case but for many high beta stocks, the MMs can swing a stock and take out stops on all sides and whip longs and shorts in both directions.


     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 3:50 PM ET #66


    Yup, had it been my stock I would have stopped at 90 for  1/2 of the holdings, and let the rest ride..which is standard operating procedure for me...but in this case, he simply placed the stop for all. I can't complain about the actual trade (I would if it had been a loss!!) as complaining about a profit of $54 a share is piggish) but I still track MOS and a little bit of me gets hacked that it is still going skywards.



    Reply

    Yup, had it been my stock I would have stopped at 90 for  1/2 of the holdings, and let the rest ride..which is standard operating procedure for me...but in this case, he simply placed the stop for all. I can't complain about the actual trade (I would if it had been a loss!!) as complaining about a profit of $54 a share is piggish) but I still track MOS and a little bit of me gets hacked that it is still going skywards.



     
    whereismyhat
    whereismyhat
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 16136
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 8:16 PM ET #67

    Yeah I'm out of STP....selling BZP also...fixing to hop on EGOV and SAPE( as soon as it gets to 7.65).  These stocks allow me to get on a few more shares with the bankroll i have...I like the companies so I'm gonna dive in.
     
    Some others Im looking at (all small cap):  FIX, CHB, AOI   any input you guys have on these would be appreciated
    Reply
    Yeah I'm out of STP....selling BZP also...fixing to hop on EGOV and SAPE( as soon as it gets to 7.65).  These stocks allow me to get on a few more shares with the bankroll i have...I like the companies so I'm gonna dive in.
     
    Some others Im looking at (all small cap):  FIX, CHB, AOI   any input you guys have on these would be appreciated
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: May. 6, 2008 - 8:35 PM ET #68

    HAT,

    You are hopping all over the place and not giving yourself the chance to win on a trade.

    EGOV is a bad idea if you ask me. They earned 5 cents a share and sport a 40 PE ratio..I dont care for that trade at all.

    Why SAPE?

    link

    They have MISERABLE margins, trade at big multiples, stock has been range bound for 4 yrs. I wouldnt touch it until it cycled down to 5.50 which has been hit 3-4 times and moved off that area for a decent return.

    Think of the best use of your MONEY, not share total. I would rather own 10 shares of a great stock than 1000 shares of a stock which sucks.

    Its tough since you might not have the patience but I hope you try to make the best TRADE, not the most shares.
    Reply
    HAT,

    You are hopping all over the place and not giving yourself the chance to win on a trade.

    EGOV is a bad idea if you ask me. They earned 5 cents a share and sport a 40 PE ratio..I dont care for that trade at all.

    Why SAPE?

    link

    They have MISERABLE margins, trade at big multiples, stock has been range bound for 4 yrs. I wouldnt touch it until it cycled down to 5.50 which has been hit 3-4 times and moved off that area for a decent return.

    Think of the best use of your MONEY, not share total. I would rather own 10 shares of a great stock than 1000 shares of a stock which sucks.

    Its tough since you might not have the patience but I hope you try to make the best TRADE, not the most shares.
     
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 56261
    Posted: May. 7, 2008 - 1:44 AM ET #69

    Another good day for IPI
    BCSI up as well
     
    As for these fertilizer stocks,  how far can they run?  Demand aint slowing anytime soon.  No end in site.  I believe earnings for IPI coming out around the 16th.
    Reply
    Another good day for IPI
    BCSI up as well
     
    As for these fertilizer stocks,  how far can they run?  Demand aint slowing anytime soon.  No end in site.  I believe earnings for IPI coming out around the 16th.
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: May. 7, 2008 - 1:51 AM ET #70

    Jeff,

    Ride the wave..you know the drill..wide stop in place and let it work.

    IPI seems pretty new, not enough info or trend to make me like the stock.

    BCSI, not sure I approve of that trade.


    Reply
    Jeff,

    Ride the wave..you know the drill..wide stop in place and let it work.

    IPI seems pretty new, not enough info or trend to make me like the stock.

    BCSI, not sure I approve of that trade.


     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: May. 7, 2008 - 9:22 AM ET #71

    Hat

    Like Wall says, you are doing something that a lot of people do initially, going in impatiently, and scattered. Focus on at most two or three stocks, at most, and do not have a quick trigger, or else you will get eaten alive by whipsaws and commissions.

     The hardest part of investing, once you have considered all the reasons to buy a stock, is to ask yourself if conditions have fundamentally changed since you committed to that position.If the answer is no, hang with it, but if necessary lay in a stop that will keep you from getting too emotionally involved  in it.

    And similar to what Wall says, Buffett remarked that it is better to one 1 % of a diamond is better than 100% of a rhinestone. With low commissions, concentrate of great stocks initially, even if it means one share (I owned one share of BRKB a one point, and it did better than most of the ones I had hundreds of shares in)...not as exciting perhaps, but a gain is always more exciting than a loss.

     


    Reply
    Hat

    Like Wall says, you are doing something that a lot of people do initially, going in impatiently, and scattered. Focus on at most two or three stocks, at most, and do not have a quick trigger, or else you will get eaten alive by whipsaws and commissions.

     The hardest part of investing, once you have considered all the reasons to buy a stock, is to ask yourself if conditions have fundamentally changed since you committed to that position.If the answer is no, hang with it, but if necessary lay in a stop that will keep you from getting too emotionally involved  in it.

    And similar to what Wall says, Buffett remarked that it is better to one 1 % of a diamond is better than 100% of a rhinestone. With low commissions, concentrate of great stocks initially, even if it means one share (I owned one share of BRKB a one point, and it did better than most of the ones I had hundreds of shares in)...not as exciting perhaps, but a gain is always more exciting than a loss.

     


     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: May. 7, 2008 - 2:31 PM ET #72

    Selling picking up here..

    Since 11 it has been straight down and the momentum is picking up to the downside.


    Reply
    Selling picking up here..

    Since 11 it has been straight down and the momentum is picking up to the downside.


     
    Gunners
    Gunners
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2006
    Posts: 3392
    Posted: May. 7, 2008 - 3:20 PM ET #73

    I bought SPY puts when at the third test of $141.  Then I bought some LEH puts after SPY broke below $141.  working well so far. 
     
    I screwed up a trade in CSIQ though.  that thing tanked on me today. 
    Reply
    I bought SPY puts when at the third test of $141.  Then I bought some LEH puts after SPY broke below $141.  working well so far. 
     
    I screwed up a trade in CSIQ though.  that thing tanked on me today. 
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: May. 7, 2008 - 3:49 PM ET #74

    Good trade Gunners..

    I checked out LEH and they were hitting it pretty strong.

    Lets see where they close this..

    Reply
    Good trade Gunners..

    I checked out LEH and they were hitting it pretty strong.

    Lets see where they close this..

     
     
    Gunners
    Gunners
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2006
    Posts: 3392
    Posted: May. 7, 2008 - 4:06 PM ET #75

    closed on the lows.  very impressive selloff.  volume was weak all day.  then the S&P went below 1405 and shit hit the fan.  heavy heavy selling
    Reply
    closed on the lows.  very impressive selloff.  volume was weak all day.  then the S&P went below 1405 and shit hit the fan.  heavy heavy selling
    All Forums | Investments
    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 450,639
    • Monday 09/28/2026 810
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,261
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 59,996
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 102,400
    • Eagles@Bears discussion 3,616
    • PART DEUX 240
    • Eagles vs Bears in-game live MNF 1,906
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 28,550
    • Another BS PI 1,003

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.