• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Steelers-Browns Picks
      • Week 4 Survivor Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Investments

    JANUARY STOCK TALK PART II

    «First Previous 123456 Next Last»
    claycourtlesson
    wallstreetcappers
    Vermeer
    Gridophiles
    boiler-room
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 2269
    Posts: 138
    «First Previous 123456 Next Last»
     
    claycourtlesson
    claycourtlesson
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 14917
    Posted: Jan. 9, 2008 - 5:18 PM ET #76

    Let's face it................
     
    1) Citicorp (C) will go well below 21 before the carnage is over.
    2) The upswing today is the first part of a classic sucker's rally.
    3) We've been in a recession for a while now.
    4) This market turned into a bear last July.
    5) The US economy is f--ed.
     
    Have a pleasant night, everyone.
    Reply
    Let's face it................
     
    1) Citicorp (C) will go well below 21 before the carnage is over.
    2) The upswing today is the first part of a classic sucker's rally.
    3) We've been in a recession for a while now.
    4) This market turned into a bear last July.
    5) The US economy is f--ed.
     
    Have a pleasant night, everyone.
     
    claycourtlesson
    claycourtlesson
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 14917
    Posted: Jan. 9, 2008 - 5:21 PM ET #77

    Present positions:
     
    100.0% cash.
     
    Looking to sell short SPY once I believe this "sucker's rally" is about to be derailed by the smart money selling.
    Reply
    Present positions:
     
    100.0% cash.
     
    Looking to sell short SPY once I believe this "sucker's rally" is about to be derailed by the smart money selling.
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58425
    Posted: Jan. 9, 2008 - 6:11 PM ET #78

    Koaj,

    If I can look at a balance sheet and feel confident in the business, and I dont margin my position, I can wait a few yrs knowing that the alternative is a 5% money market or treasury, and if I wait 3 yrs I need to beat a 20% return in that time to be successful.

    My dad is even more of a bear than I am and has been for 30 yrs..never invested in the market because it was too risky, now he has very little in retirement..its his own fault.

    I could take a big hit, or hit it big and if my experience in the markets is right, most of this BK fear is overblown and will never come to pass.

    I have lived through a housing implosion before. In the late 90s, the builders went up huge from 95 to 98, then got cut in half..then bottomed and rallied.

    I feel the same way about the group and financials. You could take that list I made and some financials we have discussed), spend 5k in each stock, hold for 5 yrs and even if ONE or TWO go under (which I dont see) and you will beat the S&P easily..no doubt in my mind.

    You remember the .com crash and the dump after the rally in 2002..they were talking about JNPR, CSCO etc going under. In late 2002, JNPR was under FIVE bucks, my HLIT was under 2 bucks, CSCO was under 11 bucks..talk about many going under and the death of tech.

    Well if you took the risk back then and did homework, bot the stocks that WILL make it, you could retire 5 yrs after the fact.

    HLIT went from 1.10 to 12 bucks in 5 yrs..thats a 10 bagger if you took the risk.

    Find the companies with enough cash to survive..maybe buy if one in the group calls it quits (homebuilders) and you will be very happy in another 3-5 yrs.
    Reply
    Koaj,

    If I can look at a balance sheet and feel confident in the business, and I dont margin my position, I can wait a few yrs knowing that the alternative is a 5% money market or treasury, and if I wait 3 yrs I need to beat a 20% return in that time to be successful.

    My dad is even more of a bear than I am and has been for 30 yrs..never invested in the market because it was too risky, now he has very little in retirement..its his own fault.

    I could take a big hit, or hit it big and if my experience in the markets is right, most of this BK fear is overblown and will never come to pass.

    I have lived through a housing implosion before. In the late 90s, the builders went up huge from 95 to 98, then got cut in half..then bottomed and rallied.

    I feel the same way about the group and financials. You could take that list I made and some financials we have discussed), spend 5k in each stock, hold for 5 yrs and even if ONE or TWO go under (which I dont see) and you will beat the S&P easily..no doubt in my mind.

    You remember the .com crash and the dump after the rally in 2002..they were talking about JNPR, CSCO etc going under. In late 2002, JNPR was under FIVE bucks, my HLIT was under 2 bucks, CSCO was under 11 bucks..talk about many going under and the death of tech.

    Well if you took the risk back then and did homework, bot the stocks that WILL make it, you could retire 5 yrs after the fact.

    HLIT went from 1.10 to 12 bucks in 5 yrs..thats a 10 bagger if you took the risk.

    Find the companies with enough cash to survive..maybe buy if one in the group calls it quits (homebuilders) and you will be very happy in another 3-5 yrs.
     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: Jan. 9, 2008 - 7:59 PM ET #79


     If I recall correctly, that is exactly the type of strategy that got John Templeton started.In fact, ,I know it is: from his foundation page:

    Standard stock-buying advice is "buy low, sell high." But Templeton took the strategy to an extreme — picking nations, industries and companies hitting rock-bottom "points of maximum pessimism," as he put it. When war began in Europe in 1939, he borrowed money to buy 100 shares in each of 104 companies selling at $1 a share or less, including 34 companies that were in bankruptcy. Only four turned out to be worthless, and he turned large profits on the others after holding each for an average of four years.

    Reply

     If I recall correctly, that is exactly the type of strategy that got John Templeton started.In fact, ,I know it is: from his foundation page:

    Standard stock-buying advice is "buy low, sell high." But Templeton took the strategy to an extreme — picking nations, industries and companies hitting rock-bottom "points of maximum pessimism," as he put it. When war began in Europe in 1939, he borrowed money to buy 100 shares in each of 104 companies selling at $1 a share or less, including 34 companies that were in bankruptcy. Only four turned out to be worthless, and he turned large profits on the others after holding each for an average of four years.

     
    Gridophiles
    Gridophiles
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2006
    Posts: 477
    Posted: Jan. 9, 2008 - 8:39 PM ET #80

    Sold my position in UYG today.  "Fortunately" I waited until the end of the day and caught the high.  Anyway, just parked a significant part of my meager holdings in PFE.  Great balance sheet and a 5.3% dividend.  I understand they have issues in their pipeline, but what the hell, it ain't financial.  Feel pretty safe here in this market.  Plus, maybe they have some sort of M&A and I get a pop in the meantime.
    Reply
    Sold my position in UYG today.  "Fortunately" I waited until the end of the day and caught the high.  Anyway, just parked a significant part of my meager holdings in PFE.  Great balance sheet and a 5.3% dividend.  I understand they have issues in their pipeline, but what the hell, it ain't financial.  Feel pretty safe here in this market.  Plus, maybe they have some sort of M&A and I get a pop in the meantime.
     
    claycourtlesson
    claycourtlesson
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 14917
    Posted: Jan. 9, 2008 - 8:51 PM ET #81

    There's not much that "Sir" John Templeton would be buying from the US stock market at the present.
     
    In fact, not much should be understood as nothing.
     
    Who the hell wants to try to "guess" the bottom?  Not I.  Arguing with the market is like trying to bail out the Atlantic Ocean with a dixie cup standing on Virginia Beach.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt......and it ain't worth it.
    Reply
    There's not much that "Sir" John Templeton would be buying from the US stock market at the present.
     
    In fact, not much should be understood as nothing.
     
    Who the hell wants to try to "guess" the bottom?  Not I.  Arguing with the market is like trying to bail out the Atlantic Ocean with a dixie cup standing on Virginia Beach.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt......and it ain't worth it.
     
    boiler-room
    boiler-room
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 1389
    Posted: Jan. 9, 2008 - 8:52 PM ET #82

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    Koaj,

    Fear is fear period.

    We didnt know why the FBI raided WCG, and the stock is still way below prices before the raid.

    That hedgie will either make a mint or lose his job making a article like that.

    We will look back and there will be a reward for those who took reasonable risks when the market is dumping.
      could not agree more,,this is the time when the real heavy hitter savy rich mother fffeerrsss get richer,,,to step in while chaos is all around and everyone is running to the hills,,,buy all companiies beaten down?...no...take the best that u think will make it and load up,,5 years down the road u will laugh at where some of these were,,u have to grab ur balls at some point,,to be completely on the sidelines hewre is assinine,,if u dont have the stomach for some choppy sideways trading for a while well then put in all in a mm account at 5% and sleep good..............vermeer,,great point about history repeating itself,,and what always happens during and after these events,they create superb buying situations, to be able to buy companies ,good ones, at a huge  huge discount,,,,u have to ask urself,is citi ,merril etc..[pick any name], going out of buisness?.....no fffffiiiinnn way,,,will it be tough in the near term?,,sure,,,,if u see a company in this environment that has a good buisness that will survive ,go for it
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    Koaj,

    Fear is fear period.

    We didnt know why the FBI raided WCG, and the stock is still way below prices before the raid.

    That hedgie will either make a mint or lose his job making a article like that.

    We will look back and there will be a reward for those who took reasonable risks when the market is dumping.
      could not agree more,,this is the time when the real heavy hitter savy rich mother fffeerrsss get richer,,,to step in while chaos is all around and everyone is running to the hills,,,buy all companiies beaten down?...no...take the best that u think will make it and load up,,5 years down the road u will laugh at where some of these were,,u have to grab ur balls at some point,,to be completely on the sidelines hewre is assinine,,if u dont have the stomach for some choppy sideways trading for a while well then put in all in a mm account at 5% and sleep good..............vermeer,,great point about history repeating itself,,and what always happens during and after these events,they create superb buying situations, to be able to buy companies ,good ones, at a huge  huge discount,,,,u have to ask urself,is citi ,merril etc..[pick any name], going out of buisness?.....no fffffiiiinnn way,,,will it be tough in the near term?,,sure,,,,if u see a company in this environment that has a good buisness that will survive ,go for it
     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: Jan. 9, 2008 - 11:06 PM ET #83

    Nothing that we did not know already today, but a summary of a weird day that does nor feel like the Dow went up almost 150 points...one question:why does anyone place any regard on these ratings companies, given that they are seriously responsible for helping create the present mess? That is one completely bogus industry if there ever was one...

    Following that release, the NYSE Financial Sector Index lurched in and out of the red, then remained down for most of the day before recently managing to climb 0.2% to 7,717.94. But the KBW Bank Index continued to struggle, lately losing 0.7% to around 80, and the Amex Securities Broker-Dealer Index hovered near the flat line. Component MBIA (MBI) a battered bond insurer, was sliding another 5.5% after scrambling to raise capital by chopping down its dividend to 13 cents a share from the prior 34 cents, as well as setting plans to offer $1 billion worth of surplus bonds to institutional buyers. The bonds are planned to mature in 2033, though they will be callable every five years after they're issued. MBIA said these moves will ensure maintenance of its crucial triple-A ratings at Moody's, Fitch, and Standard & Poor's. Last month, the firm shocked investors and analysts alike by revealing heavy exposure to collateralized debt obligations (CDOs) backed by other CDOs, or CDOs-squared. Shares of the Armonk, N.Y.-based company were falling 78 cents to $13.20 to extend yesterday's dive, which came on the heels of slashed 2008 bottom-line estimates at Morgan Stanley. Fellow bond insurer Ambac (ABK) , whose estimates were also cut at Morgan Stanley yesterday, lost another 9.6%, and Security Capital Assurance (SCA) was off another 17% at $2. Mortgage lender Countrywide (CFC) also continued hurting on some grim December results. Foreclosures for the month, as a ratio of its total mortgage loans, more than doubled year over year to 1.44%, and delinquencies as a percentage of unpaid principal balance climbed by more than half to 7.2%. Following yesterday's plunge on hastily denied bankruptcy rumors, Countrywide shares were shedding another 55 cents, or 10.1%, to $4.92 in frenzied trading.
    Reply
    Nothing that we did not know already today, but a summary of a weird day that does nor feel like the Dow went up almost 150 points...one question:why does anyone place any regard on these ratings companies, given that they are seriously responsible for helping create the present mess? That is one completely bogus industry if there ever was one...

    Following that release, the NYSE Financial Sector Index lurched in and out of the red, then remained down for most of the day before recently managing to climb 0.2% to 7,717.94. But the KBW Bank Index continued to struggle, lately losing 0.7% to around 80, and the Amex Securities Broker-Dealer Index hovered near the flat line. Component MBIA (MBI) a battered bond insurer, was sliding another 5.5% after scrambling to raise capital by chopping down its dividend to 13 cents a share from the prior 34 cents, as well as setting plans to offer $1 billion worth of surplus bonds to institutional buyers. The bonds are planned to mature in 2033, though they will be callable every five years after they're issued. MBIA said these moves will ensure maintenance of its crucial triple-A ratings at Moody's, Fitch, and Standard & Poor's. Last month, the firm shocked investors and analysts alike by revealing heavy exposure to collateralized debt obligations (CDOs) backed by other CDOs, or CDOs-squared. Shares of the Armonk, N.Y.-based company were falling 78 cents to $13.20 to extend yesterday's dive, which came on the heels of slashed 2008 bottom-line estimates at Morgan Stanley. Fellow bond insurer Ambac (ABK) , whose estimates were also cut at Morgan Stanley yesterday, lost another 9.6%, and Security Capital Assurance (SCA) was off another 17% at $2. Mortgage lender Countrywide (CFC) also continued hurting on some grim December results. Foreclosures for the month, as a ratio of its total mortgage loans, more than doubled year over year to 1.44%, and delinquencies as a percentage of unpaid principal balance climbed by more than half to 7.2%. Following yesterday's plunge on hastily denied bankruptcy rumors, Countrywide shares were shedding another 55 cents, or 10.1%, to $4.92 in frenzied trading.
     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: Jan. 9, 2008 - 11:08 PM ET #84


     PS

     Anyone have a real pair and already determined which companies are worth making a bet on as not only surviving, but prospering in the coming years?

    Reply

     PS

     Anyone have a real pair and already determined which companies are worth making a bet on as not only surviving, but prospering in the coming years?

     
    claycourtlesson
    claycourtlesson
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 14917
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 2:12 AM ET #85

    Yeah, exactly, Vermeer.  Let's see the selections RIGHT NOW.
     
    Post facto, we can all play the shoulda, woulda, coulda card.
     
    Then call me asinine, boiler, cause I am 100% cash right now and am happy to be so.
     
    So C is a "great buy" at this level?  Maybe so, and then again maybe not.  I don't know the future.  What I do know is that I think it goes lower than it is now........so why buy it now?
    Reply
    Yeah, exactly, Vermeer.  Let's see the selections RIGHT NOW.
     
    Post facto, we can all play the shoulda, woulda, coulda card.
     
    Then call me asinine, boiler, cause I am 100% cash right now and am happy to be so.
     
    So C is a "great buy" at this level?  Maybe so, and then again maybe not.  I don't know the future.  What I do know is that I think it goes lower than it is now........so why buy it now?
     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 6:12 AM ET #86


      CC

      Not meant so much as a challenge, more as a considered (however briefly) idea list. As you know I do think C is going to come out of this (with its ass handed to it, but still emerging)...like you say, however, has it truly reached bottom?

     I think anyone who was 100 per cent cash was perceptive.I had positions I took despite my own thought process.That unfortunately is an oddity of human behaviour, at least my own

    After all, we have all been writing about how bad this stuff could and even should get. The mortgage meltdown is one of the great fiascos of our time, (and there have been plenty of them).

     However, for those with a wad of cash, and a long term outlook, this could be an opportune time to gather up some stocks that will be viewed as bargains 3 to 5 years out. Is C one of them? I don't know (like you, I think it goes lower). But as weary as I was yesterday, I wanted to start thinking seriously of selected issues to nibble on, once I do have more liquidity.

     

    Reply

      CC

      Not meant so much as a challenge, more as a considered (however briefly) idea list. As you know I do think C is going to come out of this (with its ass handed to it, but still emerging)...like you say, however, has it truly reached bottom?

     I think anyone who was 100 per cent cash was perceptive.I had positions I took despite my own thought process.That unfortunately is an oddity of human behaviour, at least my own

    After all, we have all been writing about how bad this stuff could and even should get. The mortgage meltdown is one of the great fiascos of our time, (and there have been plenty of them).

     However, for those with a wad of cash, and a long term outlook, this could be an opportune time to gather up some stocks that will be viewed as bargains 3 to 5 years out. Is C one of them? I don't know (like you, I think it goes lower). But as weary as I was yesterday, I wanted to start thinking seriously of selected issues to nibble on, once I do have more liquidity.

     

     
    claycourtlesson
    claycourtlesson
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 14917
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 8:23 AM ET #87

    Vermeer
     
    So what happens today?  More follow-through from yesterday's "sucker's rally?"  Much ado about nothing?  Or more selling?
     
    I don't know.
     
    What I do know is I'm looking to fade (eventually) any continuation of the short-covering sucker's rally from yesterday, and I'm not looking to add one share of anything for the long haul.
     
    This economy is in tatters.
    Reply
    Vermeer
     
    So what happens today?  More follow-through from yesterday's "sucker's rally?"  Much ado about nothing?  Or more selling?
     
    I don't know.
     
    What I do know is I'm looking to fade (eventually) any continuation of the short-covering sucker's rally from yesterday, and I'm not looking to add one share of anything for the long haul.
     
    This economy is in tatters.
     
    KOAJ
    KOAJ
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 66698
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 9:08 AM ET #88

    Quote Originally Posted by Vermeer:


      What amazes me is that lately we seemed doomed to repeat the same stupid mistakes over and over again. Nothing learned at all from the S&L crisis...the dot com meltdown...the telecom meltdown. Why do we repeat this shit decade after decade??



    because the get rich quick scheme mindset never changes or learns...just figures out new ways to do it

    fyi COF cut estimates for next year

    down 7% premarket...kind of wish my buddy was still short this thing when it was at 68

    what comes next after the consumer...student loans? car loans?
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermeer:


      What amazes me is that lately we seemed doomed to repeat the same stupid mistakes over and over again. Nothing learned at all from the S&L crisis...the dot com meltdown...the telecom meltdown. Why do we repeat this shit decade after decade??



    because the get rich quick scheme mindset never changes or learns...just figures out new ways to do it

    fyi COF cut estimates for next year

    down 7% premarket...kind of wish my buddy was still short this thing when it was at 68

    what comes next after the consumer...student loans? car loans?
     
    claycourtlesson
    claycourtlesson
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 14917
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 9:21 AM ET #89

    COF hits 10-12 once the final fearbased capitulation panic plays out.
    Reply
    COF hits 10-12 once the final fearbased capitulation panic plays out.
     
    KOAJ
    KOAJ
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 66698
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 9:56 AM ET #90

    short Mastercard

    buy puts...whatever
    Reply
    short Mastercard

    buy puts...whatever
     
    KOAJ
    KOAJ
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 66698
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 10:02 AM ET #91

    MA puts are real cheap

    and this thing has a way to fall
    Reply
    MA puts are real cheap

    and this thing has a way to fall
     
    KOAJ
    KOAJ
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 66698
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 10:31 AM ET #92

    on second thought...MA doesnt really lend money out like COF does/did
    Reply
    on second thought...MA doesnt really lend money out like COF does/did
     
    Wake2002
    Wake2002
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2007
    Posts: 747
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 11:51 AM ET #93

    Poking my head back in here again, I had a question.  If it has been recently asked, I apologize for re-asking it, but I did not see it in this thread and did not notice it the few times I checked the old thread.
     
    Assuming I don't want to take the put/short route, is gold/silver a good play in this market?  Gold has been run up pretty considerably in the last few months, so am I too late on that?  If we are truly going into a recession, or at least in that direction, and the USD is also declining in value (two things which I believe) would that be my safest bet right now?  I have small positions in GLD and SLV (EFT's that mimic the price of gold and silver) but was considering increasing them.
     
    Thanks in advance for any input on the matter
    Reply
    Poking my head back in here again, I had a question.  If it has been recently asked, I apologize for re-asking it, but I did not see it in this thread and did not notice it the few times I checked the old thread.
     
    Assuming I don't want to take the put/short route, is gold/silver a good play in this market?  Gold has been run up pretty considerably in the last few months, so am I too late on that?  If we are truly going into a recession, or at least in that direction, and the USD is also declining in value (two things which I believe) would that be my safest bet right now?  I have small positions in GLD and SLV (EFT's that mimic the price of gold and silver) but was considering increasing them.
     
    Thanks in advance for any input on the matter
     
    boiler-room
    boiler-room
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 1389
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 12:44 PM ET #94

    Quote Originally Posted by claycourtlesson:

    Yeah, exactly, Vermeer.  Let's see the selections RIGHT NOW.
     
    Post facto, we can all play the shoulda, woulda, coulda card.
     
    Then call me asinine, boiler, cause I am 100% cash right now and am happy to be so.
     
    So C is a "great buy" at this level?  Maybe so, and then again maybe not.  I don't know the future.  What I do know is that I think it goes lower than it is now........so why buy it now?
        woa woa woa,,hold on,,im not callin anybody names here,,,,,,all i was trying to illustrate is the  point wall brought up that buying situation present themselves at times like these,,,if u want to be out of the market completely  verm than thats ok ,thats your choice,,people have different time frames and different levels of risk tolerance that makes them more or less likely to be involved with this type of market,,, i used c as an example, take any company,,if u can get good solid names  on the cheap it is MY belief u do it,,,i can withstand the short term pain,,,will some of these go lower ,then higher?,,yes,,,,but i m not smart enough to call out bottoms on some of these,,,,as for specific names,,i will post them by 2 morrow,,,i may have more of an agresssive style,, i think my money can be invested in all types of markets,,whether shorts, commodities,whatever, in all types of markets there is money to be made,,,,,,,,,,i did not mean to degrade anyones style of investing, but it is my belief that  having 100% of money in any one place ,whether it is stocks, bonds cash etc...etc...is not the wway to go, that being said it is obvious u have no confidence in this market and choose to not be involved,, i respect that,,however i think even in this market i can make better than the 5% a mm would give me,,,,but maybe thats why i drink heavily and my hair has fallen out alredy and im only 36.......but the point i was trying to make i think is still true,,u can get good companies at a discount at times like these,,thats all
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by claycourtlesson:

    Yeah, exactly, Vermeer.  Let's see the selections RIGHT NOW.
     
    Post facto, we can all play the shoulda, woulda, coulda card.
     
    Then call me asinine, boiler, cause I am 100% cash right now and am happy to be so.
     
    So C is a "great buy" at this level?  Maybe so, and then again maybe not.  I don't know the future.  What I do know is that I think it goes lower than it is now........so why buy it now?
        woa woa woa,,hold on,,im not callin anybody names here,,,,,,all i was trying to illustrate is the  point wall brought up that buying situation present themselves at times like these,,,if u want to be out of the market completely  verm than thats ok ,thats your choice,,people have different time frames and different levels of risk tolerance that makes them more or less likely to be involved with this type of market,,, i used c as an example, take any company,,if u can get good solid names  on the cheap it is MY belief u do it,,,i can withstand the short term pain,,,will some of these go lower ,then higher?,,yes,,,,but i m not smart enough to call out bottoms on some of these,,,,as for specific names,,i will post them by 2 morrow,,,i may have more of an agresssive style,, i think my money can be invested in all types of markets,,whether shorts, commodities,whatever, in all types of markets there is money to be made,,,,,,,,,,i did not mean to degrade anyones style of investing, but it is my belief that  having 100% of money in any one place ,whether it is stocks, bonds cash etc...etc...is not the wway to go, that being said it is obvious u have no confidence in this market and choose to not be involved,, i respect that,,however i think even in this market i can make better than the 5% a mm would give me,,,,but maybe thats why i drink heavily and my hair has fallen out alredy and im only 36.......but the point i was trying to make i think is still true,,u can get good companies at a discount at times like these,,thats all
     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 1:00 PM ET #95


     CC sorry delayed response, had a collegial meeting with our friends in the Virginia state tax department....I overlooked filing since errrr...2003...happily they owe me money so my liquidity is looking slightly up!!!

      I think this market remains exceedingly volatile, but the overall trend will be down.It may be a wash today, with a lot of back and forth, but the angst created by the subprime problems is not going anywhere. The housing market is going to be very very poor for at least 18 months to me...

      As for MA, they do NOT lend,as you pointed out Koaj. They are just taking in transaction fees...

      I remain seriously cautious here and am just hoping for relief from continued losses on established positions. I have added MO to holdings however, for many reasons.

      In truth, think 2008 will be a very very  year for the market, so when I do take new positions it will be looking toward the short side, not the upside.

     

    Reply

     CC sorry delayed response, had a collegial meeting with our friends in the Virginia state tax department....I overlooked filing since errrr...2003...happily they owe me money so my liquidity is looking slightly up!!!

      I think this market remains exceedingly volatile, but the overall trend will be down.It may be a wash today, with a lot of back and forth, but the angst created by the subprime problems is not going anywhere. The housing market is going to be very very poor for at least 18 months to me...

      As for MA, they do NOT lend,as you pointed out Koaj. They are just taking in transaction fees...

      I remain seriously cautious here and am just hoping for relief from continued losses on established positions. I have added MO to holdings however, for many reasons.

      In truth, think 2008 will be a very very  year for the market, so when I do take new positions it will be looking toward the short side, not the upside.

     

     
    Gunners
    Gunners
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2006
    Posts: 3392
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 1:09 PM ET #96

    Quote Originally Posted by Vermeer:

     
     
      In truth, think 2008 will be a very very  year for the market, so when I do take new positions it will be looking toward the short side, not the upside.

     

    What did you mean to say there vermeer?

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Vermeer:

     
     
      In truth, think 2008 will be a very very  year for the market, so when I do take new positions it will be looking toward the short side, not the upside.

     

    What did you mean to say there vermeer?

     
    claycourtlesson
    claycourtlesson
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 14917
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 1:22 PM ET #97

    What does "the market" do the rest of the day now that all the Bernanke news is out?
     
    I say it continues to sell off.
     
    If it gets a short covering sucker rally bounce, I hope it has legs tomorrow as well, then come next week, I'll look to sell short SPY.
     
    Until a sucker rally that lasts 3-4 days.....I am doing nothing on the long side.......won't even attempt a "long" trade in this type of environment.
     
    Have a good rest of day, everyone.
    Reply
    What does "the market" do the rest of the day now that all the Bernanke news is out?
     
    I say it continues to sell off.
     
    If it gets a short covering sucker rally bounce, I hope it has legs tomorrow as well, then come next week, I'll look to sell short SPY.
     
    Until a sucker rally that lasts 3-4 days.....I am doing nothing on the long side.......won't even attempt a "long" trade in this type of environment.
     
    Have a good rest of day, everyone.
     
    boiler-room
    boiler-room
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 1389
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 1:30 PM ET #98

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunners:

    What did you mean to say there vermeer?

      i think the word bad should be inserted
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunners:

    What did you mean to say there vermeer?

      i think the word bad should be inserted
     
    depeche2
    depeche2
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2002
    Posts: 67006
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 1:52 PM ET #99

    I think the market drifts a little higher in the afternoon and closes just slightly in the black today.  Dow up 30-40; Naz up 2-4; S&P up 1-2
    Reply
    I think the market drifts a little higher in the afternoon and closes just slightly in the black today.  Dow up 30-40; Naz up 2-4; S&P up 1-2
     
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58425
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2008 - 1:55 PM ET #100

    Well that was a thin phony rally.

    The shorts tore though that with ease..
    Reply
    Well that was a thin phony rally.

    The shorts tore though that with ease..
    All Forums | Investments
    «First Previous 123456 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 455,260
    • Serious Streak Survivor Strategies 1,918,230
    • Wednesday 09/30/2026 636
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,437
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 10,609
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,190
    • PHILLY/ATL live in game comments welcome 614
    • PART DEUX 113
    • Trump's legacy? 32,958
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 29,108

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.