• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    What is the best US state to live in

    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»
    THEMUGG
    Raiders22
    earthWake
    Bling
    lazyjoseph
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 5159
    Posts: 83
    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 12:44 PM ET #51

    Quote Originally Posted by canovsp:

    I didn't read all 56 posts but I wouldn't imagine Louisiana was any of them. Here is a study done by Harvard researchers listing the "Five Happiest Cities in the United States. All five of them are in Louisiana.

    https://mic.com/articles/94568/the-happiest-cities-in-america-are-all-in-one-state
    Interesting............I wouldn't have guessed that people would dig the south that much.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by canovsp:

    I didn't read all 56 posts but I wouldn't imagine Louisiana was any of them. Here is a study done by Harvard researchers listing the "Five Happiest Cities in the United States. All five of them are in Louisiana.

    https://mic.com/articles/94568/the-happiest-cities-in-america-are-all-in-one-state
    Interesting............I wouldn't have guessed that people would dig the south that much.
     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34342
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 6:42 PM ET #52

    Quote Originally Posted by AimeOlvera:

    California i guess, and just to find a cozy  little place  on the beach ocean 

    Great weather---but beaches are overrated there.  Water too cold and not pristine, etc.  Florida better beaches or Hawaii. But fantastic weather.   

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by AimeOlvera:

    California i guess, and just to find a cozy  little place  on the beach ocean 

    Great weather---but beaches are overrated there.  Water too cold and not pristine, etc.  Florida better beaches or Hawaii. But fantastic weather.   

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34342
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 6:44 PM ET #53

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin:

    A few too many damn rednecks and the laws are archaic 

    For example...?

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin:

    A few too many damn rednecks and the laws are archaic 

    For example...?

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34342
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 6:44 PM ET #54

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin:

    Washington State ranks #1 with Seattle being the most"livable"city

    Rain

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin:

    Washington State ranks #1 with Seattle being the most"livable"city

    Rain

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34342
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 6:44 PM ET #55

    Quote Originally Posted by GunShard:

    Washington Colorado 420

    That's it...?

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by GunShard:

    Washington Colorado 420

    That's it...?

     
    earthWake
    earthWake
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2011
    Posts: 6196
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 7:30 PM ET #56

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocafella:


    I've got family in upstate NY, which is a beautiful place.  But they get absolutely hammered in the winter.  

    Spent all my life outside of Philadelphia.  Not the cheapest place to live but I've got a major city 45 mins away, mountains 2 hours north, and a beach 2 hours west.  I love living here. 

    Basically same for me. I live 45 minutes North of Philly.

    The best part for me is that you get all 4 seasons, and there are like 9 casinos in PA. Although this winter was one of the worst ever.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocafella:


    I've got family in upstate NY, which is a beautiful place.  But they get absolutely hammered in the winter.  

    Spent all my life outside of Philadelphia.  Not the cheapest place to live but I've got a major city 45 mins away, mountains 2 hours north, and a beach 2 hours west.  I love living here. 

    Basically same for me. I live 45 minutes North of Philly.

    The best part for me is that you get all 4 seasons, and there are like 9 casinos in PA. Although this winter was one of the worst ever.
     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34342
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 8:04 PM ET #57

    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:


    .

    The best part for me is that you get all 4 seasons,
    Not sure why people always say this.  Most states get 4 seasons.  Maybe some really like a for-sure winter and a for-sure summer.  But most people seem to prefer S. Cal. where moderate temps are real round. I think people just want to say that.  I mean do people really prefer Ohio weather over Alabama weather?  Just asking...
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:


    .

    The best part for me is that you get all 4 seasons,
    Not sure why people always say this.  Most states get 4 seasons.  Maybe some really like a for-sure winter and a for-sure summer.  But most people seem to prefer S. Cal. where moderate temps are real round. I think people just want to say that.  I mean do people really prefer Ohio weather over Alabama weather?  Just asking...
     
    earthWake
    earthWake
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2011
    Posts: 6196
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 8:18 PM ET #58

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22:

    Not sure why people always say this.  Most states get 4 seasons.  Maybe some really like a for-sure winter and a for-sure summer.  But most people seem to prefer S. Cal. where moderate temps are real round. I think people just want to say that.  I mean do people really prefer Ohio weather over Alabama weather?  Just asking...

    If it were up to me, I'd want to live in a place where it is warm 70% of the time. I don't want it to be hot year round, but only want it to be cold/chilly for a short time.

    I would not want to live where it never goes below 70 degrees, I mean I could but thats not ideal.

    When I say say I like the 4 seasons, I mean I like 80-100 in the summer, 60 in the fall, and 70ish in the spring...Not a big fan of winter, but you need the bad weather to make nice weather more enjoyable
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22:

    Not sure why people always say this.  Most states get 4 seasons.  Maybe some really like a for-sure winter and a for-sure summer.  But most people seem to prefer S. Cal. where moderate temps are real round. I think people just want to say that.  I mean do people really prefer Ohio weather over Alabama weather?  Just asking...

    If it were up to me, I'd want to live in a place where it is warm 70% of the time. I don't want it to be hot year round, but only want it to be cold/chilly for a short time.

    I would not want to live where it never goes below 70 degrees, I mean I could but thats not ideal.

    When I say say I like the 4 seasons, I mean I like 80-100 in the summer, 60 in the fall, and 70ish in the spring...Not a big fan of winter, but you need the bad weather to make nice weather more enjoyable
     
    Bling
    Bling
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2005
    Posts: 41476
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 8:36 PM ET #59

    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:


    If it were up to me, I'd want to live in a place where it is warm 70% of the time. I don't want it to be hot year round, but only want it to be cold/chilly for a short time.

    I would not want to live where it never goes below 70 degrees, I mean I could but thats not ideal.

    When I say say I like the 4 seasons, I mean I like 80-100 in the summer, 60 in the fall, and 70ish in the spring...Not a big fan of winter, but you need the bad weather to make nice weather more enjoyable
    Nobody cares
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:


    If it were up to me, I'd want to live in a place where it is warm 70% of the time. I don't want it to be hot year round, but only want it to be cold/chilly for a short time.

    I would not want to live where it never goes below 70 degrees, I mean I could but thats not ideal.

    When I say say I like the 4 seasons, I mean I like 80-100 in the summer, 60 in the fall, and 70ish in the spring...Not a big fan of winter, but you need the bad weather to make nice weather more enjoyable
    Nobody cares
     
    earthWake
    earthWake
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2011
    Posts: 6196
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 8:47 PM ET #60

    Quote Originally Posted by Bling:

    Nobody cares

    Actually, the guy above me asked, which is only reason I responded.



    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Bling:

    Nobody cares

    Actually, the guy above me asked, which is only reason I responded.



     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34342
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 9:28 PM ET #61

    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:


    If it were up to me, I'd want to live in a place where it is warm 70% of the time. I don't want it to be hot year round, but only want it to be cold/chilly for a short time.

    I would not want to live where it never goes below 70 degrees, I mean I could but thats not ideal.

    When I say say I like the 4 seasons, I mean I like 80-100 in the summer, 60 in the fall, and 70ish in the spring...Not a big fan of winter, but you need the bad weather to make nice weather more enjoyable

    Haha! Good point---bad weather really make you appreciate the good weather!

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:


    If it were up to me, I'd want to live in a place where it is warm 70% of the time. I don't want it to be hot year round, but only want it to be cold/chilly for a short time.

    I would not want to live where it never goes below 70 degrees, I mean I could but thats not ideal.

    When I say say I like the 4 seasons, I mean I like 80-100 in the summer, 60 in the fall, and 70ish in the spring...Not a big fan of winter, but you need the bad weather to make nice weather more enjoyable

    Haha! Good point---bad weather really make you appreciate the good weather!

     
    Bling
    Bling
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2005
    Posts: 41476
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2014 - 11:15 PM ET #62

    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:


    Actually, the guy above me asked, which is only reason I responded.



    Good for you, want a cookie?
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:


    Actually, the guy above me asked, which is only reason I responded.



    Good for you, want a cookie?
     
    lazyjoseph
    lazyjoseph
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2014
    Posts: 25
    Posted: Aug. 5, 2014 - 1:08 PM ET #63

    California because of the weather
    Reply
    California because of the weather
     
    chantallegros
    chantallegros
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2013
    Posts: 5
    Posted: Aug. 5, 2014 - 2:32 PM ET #64

    Indiana - very low insurance rates and taxes
    Reply
    Indiana - very low insurance rates and taxes
     
    Getty3
    Getty3
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 25178
    Posted: Aug. 5, 2014 - 7:32 PM ET #65

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyjoseph:

    California because of the weather

    What kind of weather, Lazy Joseph ?
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyjoseph:

    California because of the weather

    What kind of weather, Lazy Joseph ?
     
    -29-
    -29-
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2009
    Posts: 3307
    Posted: Aug. 6, 2014 - 9:23 PM ET #66

    Quote Originally Posted by Getty3:


    What kind of weather, Lazy Joseph ?

     

     I guess that LJ is a fan of droughts, mudslides, wildfires, earthquakes, deadly lightning strikes, flash floods, etc.

     Maybe it helps him forget about being over taxed and having an overly inflated cost of living.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Getty3:


    What kind of weather, Lazy Joseph ?

     

     I guess that LJ is a fan of droughts, mudslides, wildfires, earthquakes, deadly lightning strikes, flash floods, etc.

     Maybe it helps him forget about being over taxed and having an overly inflated cost of living.

     
    Spitfire15
    Spitfire15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 13407
    Posted: Aug. 9, 2014 - 11:50 AM ET #67

    I've been pretty hung up on this myself, as I'd like to find a city to call home some time in the next couple of years, but I don't know where that is yet...

    Born & Raised in Pittsburgh, moved to Dallas 6 months ago.  After at least 6 more months I'll probably be hopping back to Pittsburgh briefly before relocating again.

    I love Pittsburgh.  I miss the hills, the food, the sports, the couple of go-to spots to spend a Saturday... that said, I absolutely hate the winter and love it in Dallas right now.  103 yesterday, but very dry, apparently its been a pretty mild summer, but the heat doesn't affect me one bit and I love the idea of winter in Texas.  A lot more to do in Dallas, but I'm in a sort of snobby part of town, and it's hard to get away from the city and get outside, there just isn't much to do outdoors from what I've found.

    My thought - Charleston SC.  I know it's going to be muggy as garbage, but it's warmer weather, I've got the beach, can go fishing in the ocean, seems to be a nice combo of having a cool old city but it's not too big & busy.  Far from dead-set on that though.

    California seems perfect on paper... beach + mountains + warm weather = win.  But the Pacific is so damn cold who wants to go to the beach anyway, and I would love to have a 2-3 hour flight back to the Burgh, not 5+.

    I did love WA/OR, as well as CO, but I just hate the winter.  Need some ideas.  Texas has been great and introduced me to dabs/wax (super weed) and I love it, unfortunately it's also a felony to have it in Texas, so another part of me wants to get the hell out.

    The lack of income tax is fantastic here.
    Reply
    I've been pretty hung up on this myself, as I'd like to find a city to call home some time in the next couple of years, but I don't know where that is yet...

    Born & Raised in Pittsburgh, moved to Dallas 6 months ago.  After at least 6 more months I'll probably be hopping back to Pittsburgh briefly before relocating again.

    I love Pittsburgh.  I miss the hills, the food, the sports, the couple of go-to spots to spend a Saturday... that said, I absolutely hate the winter and love it in Dallas right now.  103 yesterday, but very dry, apparently its been a pretty mild summer, but the heat doesn't affect me one bit and I love the idea of winter in Texas.  A lot more to do in Dallas, but I'm in a sort of snobby part of town, and it's hard to get away from the city and get outside, there just isn't much to do outdoors from what I've found.

    My thought - Charleston SC.  I know it's going to be muggy as garbage, but it's warmer weather, I've got the beach, can go fishing in the ocean, seems to be a nice combo of having a cool old city but it's not too big & busy.  Far from dead-set on that though.

    California seems perfect on paper... beach + mountains + warm weather = win.  But the Pacific is so damn cold who wants to go to the beach anyway, and I would love to have a 2-3 hour flight back to the Burgh, not 5+.

    I did love WA/OR, as well as CO, but I just hate the winter.  Need some ideas.  Texas has been great and introduced me to dabs/wax (super weed) and I love it, unfortunately it's also a felony to have it in Texas, so another part of me wants to get the hell out.

    The lack of income tax is fantastic here.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Aug. 9, 2014 - 12:45 PM ET #68

    Quote Originally Posted by mightiestmojo:

    There's no right answer. It's whatever works for you. I like visiting NY and CA to visit, beautiful girls cool cities, but as far as living there I think choosing to pay state income tax is nuts. I live in TX it's not bad but someone will say people here have guns so it's bad. I guess I don't mind guns. I grew up in CO and liked it; it's beautiful naturewise. I lived in NV for awhile and really liked it, I liked the weather 9 months were perfect (to me) and 3 months hot as hell but no humidity and also the fact that there's world class entertainment/food available very close if you want to go downtown but also you can avoid it all easily if like. Id' move back to NV and live in Henderson or Sumerlin (outside of Vegas) again. That's be my pick

     

    Yes, the state tax is the highest in the nation with NJ but don't forget about the other tax, the city tax if you live in the 5 boroughs!

    Oh and there's one other significant to very large expense: commuting charges (since no one really lives in Manhattan if you are middle-class, you have to commute there).

    So you pay:

    Federal

    State

    City (this is the Personal Seat License in the NFL. It's a 'privilege' to live in the city so they charge you extra).

    Commuting fees (bridges tunnels public transportation parking)

    It's a real WHOPPER when you finally see your paycheck. You won't believe how little you end up with (oh and health care premiums are sky high for NY as well).

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by mightiestmojo:

    There's no right answer. It's whatever works for you. I like visiting NY and CA to visit, beautiful girls cool cities, but as far as living there I think choosing to pay state income tax is nuts. I live in TX it's not bad but someone will say people here have guns so it's bad. I guess I don't mind guns. I grew up in CO and liked it; it's beautiful naturewise. I lived in NV for awhile and really liked it, I liked the weather 9 months were perfect (to me) and 3 months hot as hell but no humidity and also the fact that there's world class entertainment/food available very close if you want to go downtown but also you can avoid it all easily if like. Id' move back to NV and live in Henderson or Sumerlin (outside of Vegas) again. That's be my pick

     

    Yes, the state tax is the highest in the nation with NJ but don't forget about the other tax, the city tax if you live in the 5 boroughs!

    Oh and there's one other significant to very large expense: commuting charges (since no one really lives in Manhattan if you are middle-class, you have to commute there).

    So you pay:

    Federal

    State

    City (this is the Personal Seat License in the NFL. It's a 'privilege' to live in the city so they charge you extra).

    Commuting fees (bridges tunnels public transportation parking)

    It's a real WHOPPER when you finally see your paycheck. You won't believe how little you end up with (oh and health care premiums are sky high for NY as well).

     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Aug. 9, 2014 - 12:47 PM ET #69

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire15:

    I've been pretty hung up on this myself, as I'd like to find a city to call home some time in the next couple of years, but I don't know where that is yet...

    Born & Raised in Pittsburgh, moved to Dallas 6 months ago.  After at least 6 more months I'll probably be hopping back to Pittsburgh briefly before relocating again.

    I love Pittsburgh.  I miss the hills, the food, the sports, the couple of go-to spots to spend a Saturday... that said, I absolutely hate the winter and love it in Dallas right now.  103 yesterday, but very dry, apparently its been a pretty mild summer, but the heat doesn't affect me one bit and I love the idea of winter in Texas.  A lot more to do in Dallas, but I'm in a sort of snobby part of town, and it's hard to get away from the city and get outside, there just isn't much to do outdoors from what I've found.

    My thought - Charleston SC.  I know it's going to be muggy as garbage, but it's warmer weather, I've got the beach, can go fishing in the ocean, seems to be a nice combo of having a cool old city but it's not too big & busy.  Far from dead-set on that though.

    California seems perfect on paper... beach + mountains + warm weather = win.  But the Pacific is so damn cold who wants to go to the beach anyway, and I would love to have a 2-3 hour flight back to the Burgh, not 5+.

    I did love WA/OR, as well as CO, but I just hate the winter.  Need some ideas.  Texas has been great and introduced me to dabs/wax (super weed) and I love it, unfortunately it's also a felony to have it in Texas, so another part of me wants to get the hell out.

    The lack of income tax is fantastic here.

     

    You can't do anything in 103 degree heat other than walk to your car and drive somewhere.

    That is unlivable weather.

    I'll take the winters in PA over that.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire15:

    I've been pretty hung up on this myself, as I'd like to find a city to call home some time in the next couple of years, but I don't know where that is yet...

    Born & Raised in Pittsburgh, moved to Dallas 6 months ago.  After at least 6 more months I'll probably be hopping back to Pittsburgh briefly before relocating again.

    I love Pittsburgh.  I miss the hills, the food, the sports, the couple of go-to spots to spend a Saturday... that said, I absolutely hate the winter and love it in Dallas right now.  103 yesterday, but very dry, apparently its been a pretty mild summer, but the heat doesn't affect me one bit and I love the idea of winter in Texas.  A lot more to do in Dallas, but I'm in a sort of snobby part of town, and it's hard to get away from the city and get outside, there just isn't much to do outdoors from what I've found.

    My thought - Charleston SC.  I know it's going to be muggy as garbage, but it's warmer weather, I've got the beach, can go fishing in the ocean, seems to be a nice combo of having a cool old city but it's not too big & busy.  Far from dead-set on that though.

    California seems perfect on paper... beach + mountains + warm weather = win.  But the Pacific is so damn cold who wants to go to the beach anyway, and I would love to have a 2-3 hour flight back to the Burgh, not 5+.

    I did love WA/OR, as well as CO, but I just hate the winter.  Need some ideas.  Texas has been great and introduced me to dabs/wax (super weed) and I love it, unfortunately it's also a felony to have it in Texas, so another part of me wants to get the hell out.

    The lack of income tax is fantastic here.

     

    You can't do anything in 103 degree heat other than walk to your car and drive somewhere.

    That is unlivable weather.

    I'll take the winters in PA over that.

     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Aug. 9, 2014 - 12:48 PM ET #70

    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:


    If it were up to me, I'd want to live in a place where it is warm 70% of the time. I don't want it to be hot year round, but only want it to be cold/chilly for a short time.

    I would not want to live where it never goes below 70 degrees, I mean I could but thats not ideal.

    When I say say I like the 4 seasons, I mean I like 80-100 in the summer, 60 in the fall, and 70ish in the spring...Not a big fan of winter, but you need the bad weather to make nice weather more enjoyable

     

    San Diego has that type of weather (even better than that actually).

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:


    If it were up to me, I'd want to live in a place where it is warm 70% of the time. I don't want it to be hot year round, but only want it to be cold/chilly for a short time.

    I would not want to live where it never goes below 70 degrees, I mean I could but thats not ideal.

    When I say say I like the 4 seasons, I mean I like 80-100 in the summer, 60 in the fall, and 70ish in the spring...Not a big fan of winter, but you need the bad weather to make nice weather more enjoyable

     

    San Diego has that type of weather (even better than that actually).

     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Aug. 9, 2014 - 12:53 PM ET #71

    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:

    Bergen County, NJ, USA  

    Being from here, it would be too hard to leave, haha.

    Other states are great to visit but there's no place like home.  You can't beat the food in neighboring Hudson County. 

     

    WAY too crowded.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:

    Bergen County, NJ, USA  

    Being from here, it would be too hard to leave, haha.

    Other states are great to visit but there's no place like home.  You can't beat the food in neighboring Hudson County. 

     

    WAY too crowded.

     
    luckytowin
    luckytowin
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2014
    Posts: 188
    Posted: Aug. 12, 2014 - 9:01 AM ET #72

    I agree with one who replied not the state but which city is low cost.

    Many small rural towns are lower cost than your big towns or cities the ones with populations under 20,000 even as low as 5000 population.

    Like a parking ticket today in small town pa only $2 parking meters a nickle per 1/2 hr .......all these small towns only have few police maybe 5 total i know i drove through many of them over the years in NJ delaware Maryland New york Connetituct Ohio PA

    Thats where you can live almost for free Dealwre is tax free state but gas aint much cheaper there as in other states we all get gang banged at the pump

    But at laest 35 cents less per gal so it don't hurt that much.

     

    Reply

    I agree with one who replied not the state but which city is low cost.

    Many small rural towns are lower cost than your big towns or cities the ones with populations under 20,000 even as low as 5000 population.

    Like a parking ticket today in small town pa only $2 parking meters a nickle per 1/2 hr .......all these small towns only have few police maybe 5 total i know i drove through many of them over the years in NJ delaware Maryland New york Connetituct Ohio PA

    Thats where you can live almost for free Dealwre is tax free state but gas aint much cheaper there as in other states we all get gang banged at the pump

    But at laest 35 cents less per gal so it don't hurt that much.

     

     
    rudy22
    rudy22
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2013
    Posts: 2412
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2014 - 4:42 PM ET #73

    Cities:

    Chicago
    Honolulu
    SF
    Boston

    States:
    Connecticut (Live here, not from here)
    Maine
    Texas
    California


    Reply
    Cities:

    Chicago
    Honolulu
    SF
    Boston

    States:
    Connecticut (Live here, not from here)
    Maine
    Texas
    California


     
    rudy22
    rudy22
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2013
    Posts: 2412
    Posted: Aug. 20, 2014 - 12:00 PM ET #74

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocafella:


    I've got family in upstate NY, which is a beautiful place.  But they get absolutely hammered in the winter.  

    Spent all my life outside of Philadelphia.  Not the cheapest place to live but I've got a major city 45 mins away, mountains 2 hours north, and a beach 2 hours west.  I love living here. 

    I lived in Philly for 14 years, it is dirty, corrupt, racist amongst other things. The real hang up is paying the city wage tax. My take home pay in a lateral move went up $100 per check after leaving Philly. Most major cities do not have a city wage tax. And if they do it is lower than Philly's 3.9%, was 5% 10 years ago.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocafella:


    I've got family in upstate NY, which is a beautiful place.  But they get absolutely hammered in the winter.  

    Spent all my life outside of Philadelphia.  Not the cheapest place to live but I've got a major city 45 mins away, mountains 2 hours north, and a beach 2 hours west.  I love living here. 

    I lived in Philly for 14 years, it is dirty, corrupt, racist amongst other things. The real hang up is paying the city wage tax. My take home pay in a lateral move went up $100 per check after leaving Philly. Most major cities do not have a city wage tax. And if they do it is lower than Philly's 3.9%, was 5% 10 years ago.
     
     
    rudy22
    rudy22
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2013
    Posts: 2412
    Posted: Aug. 20, 2014 - 12:06 PM ET #75

    Quote Originally Posted by collegegambler:

    you the man too no doubt..  ironically the only good thing i see about PA is it is cheap.. lol.. 

    Yea people hate Jersey for whatever reason.. besides it being expensive i don't see why ppl hate it.. the jersey shore is great and we have the second best food in country... only better food is in ny


    Chicago, Vegas and SF have way better food than NJ. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by collegegambler:

    you the man too no doubt..  ironically the only good thing i see about PA is it is cheap.. lol.. 

    Yea people hate Jersey for whatever reason.. besides it being expensive i don't see why ppl hate it.. the jersey shore is great and we have the second best food in country... only better food is in ny


    Chicago, Vegas and SF have way better food than NJ. 
    All Forums | General Discussion
    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,248
    • Thursday 10/01/2026 753
    • PART DEUX 206
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,992
    • Steelers vs Browns in-game live TNF 2,102
    • Cleveland Bettors 2,564
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 103,202
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 12,116
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 29,932
    • Happening just recently . . . 36,843

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.