• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 3
      NFL Week 3
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Gaming Industry - US

    OK LETS BE REAL NOW....WHO HAS QUIT THIER JOB BECAUSE HEY BET ONLINE SPORTS FOR A LIVING NOW?

    «First Previous 123
    slipnslide
    Sammy_Meatballs
    adios
    Joker1985
    mrat
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 6897
    Posts: 65
    «First Previous 123
     
    slipnslide
    slipnslide
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2009
    Posts: 107
    Posted: May. 6, 2009 - 3:59 AM ET #51

    I pretty much quit working for a living and only gamble.  Im not rich but i pull in about 4k per month and none of my bets are ever over 500.  Ok now to answer your questions...
     
    How?
    I stopped making decisions on my own and follow either 1 or 2 of the pro cappers on this site at a time.  I probably wager about 7 plays per day at about 250-500 per play.  But i never make any decisions on my own anymore.  The 400 per month for the advice is well worth it.  
    Bankroll?
     
    Online?
    Absolutely.  I am currently looking into opening a foreign bank account just to sign up for pinnacle.  right now i go locally for the reliability but the juice is higher and the lines outright suck in comparison to pinnacle.  go to sportsbookreview.com for advice on this subject.
     
    Hope this helps.
    Started off without a bankroll and just bet $50/play.  Now i just make sure i never bet more than 5% of my roll,,,,just as in poker you should always be rolled 20x your normal buy in....same principal.
    Reply
    I pretty much quit working for a living and only gamble.  Im not rich but i pull in about 4k per month and none of my bets are ever over 500.  Ok now to answer your questions...
     
    How?
    I stopped making decisions on my own and follow either 1 or 2 of the pro cappers on this site at a time.  I probably wager about 7 plays per day at about 250-500 per play.  But i never make any decisions on my own anymore.  The 400 per month for the advice is well worth it.  
    Bankroll?
     
    Online?
    Absolutely.  I am currently looking into opening a foreign bank account just to sign up for pinnacle.  right now i go locally for the reliability but the juice is higher and the lines outright suck in comparison to pinnacle.  go to sportsbookreview.com for advice on this subject.
     
    Hope this helps.
    Started off without a bankroll and just bet $50/play.  Now i just make sure i never bet more than 5% of my roll,,,,just as in poker you should always be rolled 20x your normal buy in....same principal.
     
    slipnslide
    slipnslide
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2009
    Posts: 107
    Posted: May. 6, 2009 - 4:01 AM ET #52

    the last 2 sentences were supposed to go under "bankroll"
    Reply
    the last 2 sentences were supposed to go under "bankroll"
     
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1911
    Posted: May. 6, 2009 - 5:24 AM ET #53


    Following a Capper and not making decisions on your own is a death sentence-
    What if these so called Cappers stop posting?
    Are you still in business?

    Reply

    Following a Capper and not making decisions on your own is a death sentence-
    What if these so called Cappers stop posting?
    Are you still in business?

     
    adios
    adios
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2008
    Posts: 23
    Posted: May. 6, 2009 - 8:50 AM ET #54

    is this a comedy website or what? if it isnt ,most of u guys should go to a comedy website
    Reply
    is this a comedy website or what? if it isnt ,most of u guys should go to a comedy website
     
    Joker1985
    Joker1985
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2009
    Posts: 122
    Posted: May. 6, 2009 - 9:35 AM ET #55

    If need fast money and u r a gambler we can do real money 50-50 on the money.

     

    I have a real good date base I will tell you the pick and you bet if you are willing to do it write to me to my email – fastmoney1986@hotmail.com email title FAST MONEY

    You not have to know my name **Questions ?**

    Reply

    If need fast money and u r a gambler we can do real money 50-50 on the money.

     

    I have a real good date base I will tell you the pick and you bet if you are willing to do it write to me to my email – fastmoney1986@hotmail.com email title FAST MONEY

    You not have to know my name **Questions ?**

     
    slipnslide
    slipnslide
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2009
    Posts: 107
    Posted: May. 7, 2009 - 4:41 PM ET #56

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy_Meatballs:


    Following a Capper and not making decisions on your own is a death sentence-
    What if these so called Cappers stop posting?
    Are you still in business?

    thats why i said "pro cappers" not these free picks you see all over the place.  i pay $400-800/MO.  for their picks (and make it back quickly).  so they will never stop posting

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy_Meatballs:


    Following a Capper and not making decisions on your own is a death sentence-
    What if these so called Cappers stop posting?
    Are you still in business?

    thats why i said "pro cappers" not these free picks you see all over the place.  i pay $400-800/MO.  for their picks (and make it back quickly).  so they will never stop posting

     
    mrat
    mrat
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 9
    Posted: May. 7, 2009 - 5:14 PM ET #57

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy_Meatballs:

    Lewis---

    To be the BEST you must ACT like the BEST--

    This requires you creating an OFFICE in your HOME-

    - You need to buy a large eraseable WHITEBOARD- With markers-
    -Buy a 28 inch large computer Samsung Monitor-
    -Buy a Large 60 inch TV that has SPLIT screen capabalities-
    -Have another TV on the wall somewhere- Will allow you to watch 3 games, plus if you use computer you can watch 4 games-
    -Buy a top of the LINE Office leather Chair, you can get it for $250 at Staples,
    -Buy a really Nice Office Desk- Nice looking, modern-
    -Buy some good Computer speakers that are on your DESK-

    -You should have about 8 different OUTLETS to use--
    -The most important thing is knowing how to MANAGE a BANKROLL-

    -If you are EMOTIONAL, you have NO chance at doing this-
    -You have to have other savings also to live on, because when you are getting NO pay cheque, you have to factor in that you may not make anything or that you may suffer a LOSS-

    -Lastly you cannot feel pressure to make money, the WINNERS have to come to you PRESSURE FREE--
    Being forced to try and make money is different than making money and not being pressured into it-

    These are the KEYS my friend-




    I actually got the whiteboard. My PC monitor is 17 inch (still Samsung :P). I have got a TV set in my office, but to be honest, I have never ever watched a game I had a bet on (and I would never do it), so no need for split screens or stuff like that.

    As for everything else: I already talked about leaving out your emotions. Emotions kill. But theres one thing that kills even more (also mentioned): Pressure.
    I can not state this enough, I think thats the main point why people lose bets. The pressure of losing money you NEED TO LIVE (think about that... its the only life you got) and wanting it back. Never ever expect to be a successful gambler if you actually need the money you're betting to live.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy_Meatballs:

    Lewis---

    To be the BEST you must ACT like the BEST--

    This requires you creating an OFFICE in your HOME-

    - You need to buy a large eraseable WHITEBOARD- With markers-
    -Buy a 28 inch large computer Samsung Monitor-
    -Buy a Large 60 inch TV that has SPLIT screen capabalities-
    -Have another TV on the wall somewhere- Will allow you to watch 3 games, plus if you use computer you can watch 4 games-
    -Buy a top of the LINE Office leather Chair, you can get it for $250 at Staples,
    -Buy a really Nice Office Desk- Nice looking, modern-
    -Buy some good Computer speakers that are on your DESK-

    -You should have about 8 different OUTLETS to use--
    -The most important thing is knowing how to MANAGE a BANKROLL-

    -If you are EMOTIONAL, you have NO chance at doing this-
    -You have to have other savings also to live on, because when you are getting NO pay cheque, you have to factor in that you may not make anything or that you may suffer a LOSS-

    -Lastly you cannot feel pressure to make money, the WINNERS have to come to you PRESSURE FREE--
    Being forced to try and make money is different than making money and not being pressured into it-

    These are the KEYS my friend-




    I actually got the whiteboard. My PC monitor is 17 inch (still Samsung :P). I have got a TV set in my office, but to be honest, I have never ever watched a game I had a bet on (and I would never do it), so no need for split screens or stuff like that.

    As for everything else: I already talked about leaving out your emotions. Emotions kill. But theres one thing that kills even more (also mentioned): Pressure.
    I can not state this enough, I think thats the main point why people lose bets. The pressure of losing money you NEED TO LIVE (think about that... its the only life you got) and wanting it back. Never ever expect to be a successful gambler if you actually need the money you're betting to live.
     
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1911
    Posted: May. 7, 2009 - 5:19 PM ET #58

    But theres one thing that kills even more (also mentioned): Pressure.
    I can not state this enough, I think thats the main point why people lose bets. The pressure of losing money you NEED TO LIVE (think about that... its the only life you got) and wanting it back. Never ever expect to be a successful gambler if you actually need the money you're betting to live.


    Simply one of the best POSTS EVER ON THE INTERNET---

    This is so true-  PRESSURE KILLS FOR SURE
    Reply
    But theres one thing that kills even more (also mentioned): Pressure.
    I can not state this enough, I think thats the main point why people lose bets. The pressure of losing money you NEED TO LIVE (think about that... its the only life you got) and wanting it back. Never ever expect to be a successful gambler if you actually need the money you're betting to live.


    Simply one of the best POSTS EVER ON THE INTERNET---

    This is so true-  PRESSURE KILLS FOR SURE
     
    WendysRox
    WendysRox
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2008
    Posts: 3823
    Posted: May. 8, 2009 - 1:44 PM ET #59

    2000

    40000 55
    5 800000
    Profit


    2200


    Reply
    2000

    40000 55
    5 800000
    Profit


    2200


     
    WendysRox
    WendysRox
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2008
    Posts: 3823
    Posted: May. 8, 2009 - 2:10 PM ET #60

    Well, that didn't work...

    In about 10 minutes, I set up this spreadsheet to calculate how much roll you would need to be a pro.  I did all of these calculations assuming you'd want to make $100k/yr (the math seemed easier if I used 114,400 because it broke down to 2200/wk)

    I noticed as I typed this that there are few different ways to approach this question.  One would be, "How much do I need to wager on an individual game?"  Or, "How much roll do I need?"  Or, "What does my winning percentage need to be?"

    Things I assumed:
    # of bets per week: 20
    winning percentage: 55%
    percentage of roll risked on one wager: 2%

    Things I realized (in order to make 2200/wk):
    You'd need to wager $2000 on each bet (20 bets*55%=11 wins, 11*$2000 a piece =$22,000 won, minus 9 losses @ 2200 a piece [or 19800] equals a profit of $2200)
    You'd need $100,000 roll (or $40,000 for 5% bets, or $20,000 for 10% bets)
    You'd have over $40,000 at risk every week (20*2000), plus juice.


    Gambling just doesn't seem worth it to me after looking at it like this.  Unless, you are doing it solely for entertainment, of course.

    If my math is wrong, please enlighten me.  I am horrible at calculating things like this...

    Reply
    Well, that didn't work...

    In about 10 minutes, I set up this spreadsheet to calculate how much roll you would need to be a pro.  I did all of these calculations assuming you'd want to make $100k/yr (the math seemed easier if I used 114,400 because it broke down to 2200/wk)

    I noticed as I typed this that there are few different ways to approach this question.  One would be, "How much do I need to wager on an individual game?"  Or, "How much roll do I need?"  Or, "What does my winning percentage need to be?"

    Things I assumed:
    # of bets per week: 20
    winning percentage: 55%
    percentage of roll risked on one wager: 2%

    Things I realized (in order to make 2200/wk):
    You'd need to wager $2000 on each bet (20 bets*55%=11 wins, 11*$2000 a piece =$22,000 won, minus 9 losses @ 2200 a piece [or 19800] equals a profit of $2200)
    You'd need $100,000 roll (or $40,000 for 5% bets, or $20,000 for 10% bets)
    You'd have over $40,000 at risk every week (20*2000), plus juice.


    Gambling just doesn't seem worth it to me after looking at it like this.  Unless, you are doing it solely for entertainment, of course.

    If my math is wrong, please enlighten me.  I am horrible at calculating things like this...

     
    mrat
    mrat
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 9
    Posted: May. 8, 2009 - 4:41 PM ET #61

    Quote Originally Posted by WendysRox:

    Well, that didn't work...

    In about 10 minutes, I set up this spreadsheet to calculate how much roll you would need to be a pro.  I did all of these calculations assuming you'd want to make $100k/yr (the math seemed easier if I used 114,400 because it broke down to 2200/wk)

    I noticed as I typed this that there are few different ways to approach this question.  One would be, "How much do I need to wager on an individual game?"  Or, "How much roll do I need?"  Or, "What does my winning percentage need to be?"

    Things I assumed:
    # of bets per week: 20
    winning percentage: 55%
    percentage of roll risked on one wager: 2%

    Things I realized (in order to make 2200/wk):
    You'd need to wager $2000 on each bet (20 bets*55%=11 wins, 11*$2000 a piece =$22,000 won, minus 9 losses @ 2200 a piece [or 19800] equals a profit of $2200)
    You'd need $100,000 roll (or $40,000 for 5% bets, or $20,000 for 10% bets)
    You'd have over $40,000 at risk every week (20*2000), plus juice.


    Gambling just doesn't seem worth it to me after looking at it like this.  Unless, you are doing it solely for entertainment, of course.

    If my math is wrong, please enlighten me.  I am horrible at calculating things like this...



    Your math is correct, but
    a) 20 bets per week isnt even close... unless you only work two days
    b) who actually needs $2200 per week? I don't know where you live and how expensive living is there, but here in central europe, $500 weekly is considered a great income.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by WendysRox:

    Well, that didn't work...

    In about 10 minutes, I set up this spreadsheet to calculate how much roll you would need to be a pro.  I did all of these calculations assuming you'd want to make $100k/yr (the math seemed easier if I used 114,400 because it broke down to 2200/wk)

    I noticed as I typed this that there are few different ways to approach this question.  One would be, "How much do I need to wager on an individual game?"  Or, "How much roll do I need?"  Or, "What does my winning percentage need to be?"

    Things I assumed:
    # of bets per week: 20
    winning percentage: 55%
    percentage of roll risked on one wager: 2%

    Things I realized (in order to make 2200/wk):
    You'd need to wager $2000 on each bet (20 bets*55%=11 wins, 11*$2000 a piece =$22,000 won, minus 9 losses @ 2200 a piece [or 19800] equals a profit of $2200)
    You'd need $100,000 roll (or $40,000 for 5% bets, or $20,000 for 10% bets)
    You'd have over $40,000 at risk every week (20*2000), plus juice.


    Gambling just doesn't seem worth it to me after looking at it like this.  Unless, you are doing it solely for entertainment, of course.

    If my math is wrong, please enlighten me.  I am horrible at calculating things like this...



    Your math is correct, but
    a) 20 bets per week isnt even close... unless you only work two days
    b) who actually needs $2200 per week? I don't know where you live and how expensive living is there, but here in central europe, $500 weekly is considered a great income.
     
    WendysRox
    WendysRox
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2008
    Posts: 3823
    Posted: May. 8, 2009 - 5:03 PM ET #62

    Mrat:

    a)  I doubt the people making 10 bets per day are very successful, but I could be wrong.  It just seems to me that the people on covers that post 1-3 picks per day make more money than the ones who bet 12-15 games per day.

    b) well, here in southern U.S., 500/wk is about what you get flipping burgers at McD's... OK, managing the people flipping burgers at McD's, but still.  I doubt anyone on covers would quit their day job to earn $25k/yr gambling, excluding you perhaps.
    Reply
    Mrat:

    a)  I doubt the people making 10 bets per day are very successful, but I could be wrong.  It just seems to me that the people on covers that post 1-3 picks per day make more money than the ones who bet 12-15 games per day.

    b) well, here in southern U.S., 500/wk is about what you get flipping burgers at McD's... OK, managing the people flipping burgers at McD's, but still.  I doubt anyone on covers would quit their day job to earn $25k/yr gambling, excluding you perhaps.
     
    mrat
    mrat
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 9
    Posted: May. 9, 2009 - 3:52 AM ET #63

    a) You're wrong and right. :-) People here on covers actually are better the less games they post. But professional gambler doesn't mean professional NBA gambler or professional NFL gambler only. If you know how to bet successfully, your strategy can be applied to almost every league and sport (with minor adjustments). The "I know this sport well"-point of view won't bring you success. Pure "knowledge" is the reason why bookies win. Their numbers are solely based on formulas, and you won't beat them with knowledge (because theirs is better than yours, anyway), you only beat them with better formulas.
    With that said, there are endless possibilities... around 10 "big" soccer leagues, spanish and italian basketball, asian baseball etc. Its actually pretty easy to find 15 to 20 good picks a day if you leave the NBA/NFL/MLB orbit.

    b) Im not saying I make $500 a week gambling... just thought $2200 was a bit too much to start - but if your life standard over there is that high, adjust the rate accordingly. It should be easier for you to get the $100k bankroll, too.

    Reply
    a) You're wrong and right. :-) People here on covers actually are better the less games they post. But professional gambler doesn't mean professional NBA gambler or professional NFL gambler only. If you know how to bet successfully, your strategy can be applied to almost every league and sport (with minor adjustments). The "I know this sport well"-point of view won't bring you success. Pure "knowledge" is the reason why bookies win. Their numbers are solely based on formulas, and you won't beat them with knowledge (because theirs is better than yours, anyway), you only beat them with better formulas.
    With that said, there are endless possibilities... around 10 "big" soccer leagues, spanish and italian basketball, asian baseball etc. Its actually pretty easy to find 15 to 20 good picks a day if you leave the NBA/NFL/MLB orbit.

    b) Im not saying I make $500 a week gambling... just thought $2200 was a bit too much to start - but if your life standard over there is that high, adjust the rate accordingly. It should be easier for you to get the $100k bankroll, too.

     
    WendysRox
    WendysRox
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2008
    Posts: 3823
    Posted: May. 9, 2009 - 11:42 AM ET #64

    mrat:

    Points taken.  Makes sense to me..
    Reply
    mrat:

    Points taken.  Makes sense to me..
     
     
    JUMBOJPC
    JUMBOJPC
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2008
    Posts: 2315
    Posted: May. 9, 2009 - 8:53 PM ET #65

    Quote Originally Posted by atlheatholder:

    Like Denzel said in American Gangster:

    "The loudest one in the room is the weakest one"    

    "Empty Barrels make the most Noise"

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by atlheatholder:

    Like Denzel said in American Gangster:

    "The loudest one in the room is the weakest one"    

    "Empty Barrels make the most Noise"

    All Forums | Gaming Industry - US
    «First Previous 123

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,609
    • Sunday 09/27/2026 502
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,090
    • Rams vs Broncos in game live SNF 2,559
    • Sunday 3,119
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 101,900
    • HELP PLEASE 1,406
    • NFL Sunday 7,274
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 13,522
    • ***Macwesties * Thur. * Sun. Sept. 24, 27, 2026 * Week #3 * NFL Football Plays* 8,734

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.