• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 3
      NFL Week 3
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Gaming Industry - US

    OK LETS BE REAL NOW....WHO HAS QUIT THIER JOB BECAUSE HEY BET ONLINE SPORTS FOR A LIVING NOW?

    «First Previous 123 Next Last»
    JoshLewis
    jebe99
    killakrzydav
    artie-lange
    CAMCITI
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 6897
    Posts: 65
    «First Previous 123 Next Last»
     
    JoshLewis
    JoshLewis
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 477
    Posted: Apr. 16, 2009 - 5:08 AM ET #26

    I hate working 9 to 5. It's not a life. You get retired at 65 age. What the hell im gonna do after 65? I want to live my life now.

    Making a living by betting would be cool..
    Reply
    I hate working 9 to 5. It's not a life. You get retired at 65 age. What the hell im gonna do after 65? I want to live my life now.

    Making a living by betting would be cool..
     
    jebe99
    jebe99
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2009
    Posts: 686
    Posted: Apr. 17, 2009 - 5:35 AM ET #27

    Those who believe it's not possible to make a living betting sports,I can tell you it's possible.
    I knew a few in Vegas. They kept a low profile, spread the action around.
    But they have gone the offshore route because Vegas books are now run by the bean counters, not book makers.
    Meaning, if you win over a period of time, they WILL kick you out.
    It is very hard, but few do make a living at it.

    Reply
    Those who believe it's not possible to make a living betting sports,I can tell you it's possible.
    I knew a few in Vegas. They kept a low profile, spread the action around.
    But they have gone the offshore route because Vegas books are now run by the bean counters, not book makers.
    Meaning, if you win over a period of time, they WILL kick you out.
    It is very hard, but few do make a living at it.

     
    killakrzydav
    killakrzydav
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2003
    Posts: 1816
    Posted: Apr. 17, 2009 - 10:49 AM ET #28

    I got money that vanzack is a professional.  He is so far ahead of most ppl after watching him for 6 years across several sports that I am pretty certain he does.  The knowledge that guy has is unbelievable.
    Reply
    I got money that vanzack is a professional.  He is so far ahead of most ppl after watching him for 6 years across several sports that I am pretty certain he does.  The knowledge that guy has is unbelievable.
     
    artie-lange
    artie-lange
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 576
    Posted: Apr. 19, 2009 - 2:50 PM ET #29

    I quit betting online and started working full-time.  Much better odds.
    Reply
    I quit betting online and started working full-time.  Much better odds.
     
    CAMCITI
    CAMCITI
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2008
    Posts: 5
    Posted: Apr. 20, 2009 - 5:41 AM ET #30

    take it for whats its worth but i live here in vegas and heres what i know....
     
    i have hung out in sportsbooks all day and met guys that 
    SAY they do it for a living.
     
    -none of these guys are millionaires
    -none are under 30 (dont know why)
    -they do spread out the action ex. if you want to bet 10k on a game, instead of laying 10k in 1 casiino (where they have to call down a manager for approval) they take a girlfriend and a friend and each lay 250-500 in 10 different sportsbooks with the same or better line usually the day before a game or early as possible because lines change
    -they DO pay taxes on winnings even though they might not report Exactly how much they won
    - some have systems some chase some treat everygame as a single game and do their research for 40+ hours a week
    - yes you can get banned from a casino for winning large sums of money consistently but you should be fine if you spread out your action
     
    me myself i have increased my starting bankroll of $2500 in mid feb.to just over $7000 by combining research/stats/free picks from certain handicappers/systems/chasing certain teams in certain spots/good money management/halftime betting/never betting on a game where im too biased(mostly my fav teams) so i believe its very possible
     
    Reply
    take it for whats its worth but i live here in vegas and heres what i know....
     
    i have hung out in sportsbooks all day and met guys that 
    SAY they do it for a living.
     
    -none of these guys are millionaires
    -none are under 30 (dont know why)
    -they do spread out the action ex. if you want to bet 10k on a game, instead of laying 10k in 1 casiino (where they have to call down a manager for approval) they take a girlfriend and a friend and each lay 250-500 in 10 different sportsbooks with the same or better line usually the day before a game or early as possible because lines change
    -they DO pay taxes on winnings even though they might not report Exactly how much they won
    - some have systems some chase some treat everygame as a single game and do their research for 40+ hours a week
    - yes you can get banned from a casino for winning large sums of money consistently but you should be fine if you spread out your action
     
    me myself i have increased my starting bankroll of $2500 in mid feb.to just over $7000 by combining research/stats/free picks from certain handicappers/systems/chasing certain teams in certain spots/good money management/halftime betting/never betting on a game where im too biased(mostly my fav teams) so i believe its very possible
     
     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Apr. 20, 2009 - 8:52 AM ET #31

    entertaining thread.....but why quit your job? not a very intelligent decision. their are quite a few successful sport wagerer's. the majority are "sharps" employed by "wiseguys" making six figure a year incomes+  One thing for sure, they don't buy, or sell picks, and seldom come to the surface; and when they do, they are never recognized..contrary to believe, most read Covers.com for information, and a little R&R... there's really know way of giving any figures to support the independents success rate, because the movement is underground. don't kid yourself, sports wagering is a multi-billion dollar a year business from both sides of the spectrum...
    Reply
    entertaining thread.....but why quit your job? not a very intelligent decision. their are quite a few successful sport wagerer's. the majority are "sharps" employed by "wiseguys" making six figure a year incomes+  One thing for sure, they don't buy, or sell picks, and seldom come to the surface; and when they do, they are never recognized..contrary to believe, most read Covers.com for information, and a little R&R... there's really know way of giving any figures to support the independents success rate, because the movement is underground. don't kid yourself, sports wagering is a multi-billion dollar a year business from both sides of the spectrum...
     
    CAMCITI
    CAMCITI
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2008
    Posts: 5
    Posted: Apr. 20, 2009 - 10:52 AM ET #32

    just another side note.......
     
    the hilton super contest costs $1500 to enter and the winner gets 40% of the entry money... last year it was around 303k. you can do the math.........
    in my eyes 1500 is not the amount of cash a regular guy would happilly give up for any handicapper contest. and you have to bet your own money on the wagers as well.... i think last year the winner hit about 71% in the nfl(unreal huh!?!?!?)
     
     so if you happen to be in vegas during the nfl season that would be the ideal spot to run into a real "sharp" as the hilton posts their selections....
     
    Reply
    just another side note.......
     
    the hilton super contest costs $1500 to enter and the winner gets 40% of the entry money... last year it was around 303k. you can do the math.........
    in my eyes 1500 is not the amount of cash a regular guy would happilly give up for any handicapper contest. and you have to bet your own money on the wagers as well.... i think last year the winner hit about 71% in the nfl(unreal huh!?!?!?)
     
     so if you happen to be in vegas during the nfl season that would be the ideal spot to run into a real "sharp" as the hilton posts their selections....
     
     
    bogieking
    bogieking
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 230
    Posted: Apr. 26, 2009 - 11:17 AM ET #33

    If one really wanted to do it for a living, you'd have to leave the states eventually.  you'd need the books we can't have.  Pinny, betfair, expekt, and a few other eurobooks would be MUST haves.


    Reply
    If one really wanted to do it for a living, you'd have to leave the states eventually.  you'd need the books we can't have.  Pinny, betfair, expekt, and a few other eurobooks would be MUST haves.


     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Apr. 26, 2009 - 11:35 AM ET #34

    correct..the alternative you forgot to mention would be Vegas..
    Reply
    correct..the alternative you forgot to mention would be Vegas..
     
    vinnyherbert
    vinnyherbert
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2006
    Posts: 1409
    Posted: May. 3, 2009 - 4:03 AM ET #35

    It's amazing to me the idiots who don't play online because of worries about getting paid. Use reliable books and you'll never have a problem, have more betting options, pay less juice, and never have to worry about getting cut off for winning. I've never had a problem getting a cashiers check within a few days or a Western Union or Moneygram the same day or next day in all my years of requesting money from Heritage or any other book. There's several you'll never have a problem with if you do some reading and could easily make a living using them if you can win enough.
    Reply
    It's amazing to me the idiots who don't play online because of worries about getting paid. Use reliable books and you'll never have a problem, have more betting options, pay less juice, and never have to worry about getting cut off for winning. I've never had a problem getting a cashiers check within a few days or a Western Union or Moneygram the same day or next day in all my years of requesting money from Heritage or any other book. There's several you'll never have a problem with if you do some reading and could easily make a living using them if you can win enough.
     
    arizonaboy
    arizonaboy
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2008
    Posts: 1000
    Posted: May. 3, 2009 - 10:39 AM ET #36

    in my 4 years of bettin nfl ncaaf, ncaab and playoff hockey and nba plus a little tennis and boxing that u need alot of money to make money, your not gettin rich or making a living with an account with 100 bucks in it ,u will lose in the long run everytime ,i like to just bet on occasion now . i find a game im sure of maybe 1 or 2 a week or even a mos. and wager anywhere from 2000 to 5000 on that single game, i have made my most profits that way and i am still not able to make a living gambling yet but hope to soon, once my bankroll is over 50,000 i am gonna move to vegas and give it a try but im still about 37,000 short so i got another 4-5 years to go
    Reply
    in my 4 years of bettin nfl ncaaf, ncaab and playoff hockey and nba plus a little tennis and boxing that u need alot of money to make money, your not gettin rich or making a living with an account with 100 bucks in it ,u will lose in the long run everytime ,i like to just bet on occasion now . i find a game im sure of maybe 1 or 2 a week or even a mos. and wager anywhere from 2000 to 5000 on that single game, i have made my most profits that way and i am still not able to make a living gambling yet but hope to soon, once my bankroll is over 50,000 i am gonna move to vegas and give it a try but im still about 37,000 short so i got another 4-5 years to go
     
    jebe99
    jebe99
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2009
    Posts: 686
    Posted: May. 3, 2009 - 11:49 PM ET #37

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyherbert:

    It's amazing to me the idiots who don't play online because of worries about getting paid. Use reliable books and you'll never have a problem, have more betting options, pay less juice, and never have to worry about getting cut off for winning. I've never had a problem getting a cashiers check within a few days or a Western Union or Moneygram the same day or next day in all my years of requesting money from Heritage or any other book. There's several you'll never have a problem with if you do some reading and could easily make a living using them if you can win enough.


    Totally agree.

    I did the Vegas thing for 10years. If you win there = will get banned.

    Offshore is the only way to go. Much better odds and you'll get paid. Just use good books.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyherbert:

    It's amazing to me the idiots who don't play online because of worries about getting paid. Use reliable books and you'll never have a problem, have more betting options, pay less juice, and never have to worry about getting cut off for winning. I've never had a problem getting a cashiers check within a few days or a Western Union or Moneygram the same day or next day in all my years of requesting money from Heritage or any other book. There's several you'll never have a problem with if you do some reading and could easily make a living using them if you can win enough.


    Totally agree.

    I did the Vegas thing for 10years. If you win there = will get banned.

    Offshore is the only way to go. Much better odds and you'll get paid. Just use good books.
     
    CIPHER1024
    CIPHER1024
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2009
    Posts: 3
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 1:16 AM ET #38

    I don't think many do it.  Let's face it.  If you can have a bank roll large enough to make a living off of it, chances are you got it from a well paying job.  Why would you want to quit and risk your life on betting, when you could use this as a nice 2nd income.
    Reply
    I don't think many do it.  Let's face it.  If you can have a bank roll large enough to make a living off of it, chances are you got it from a well paying job.  Why would you want to quit and risk your life on betting, when you could use this as a nice 2nd income.
     
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1911
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 3:33 AM ET #39

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshLewis:

    I hate working 9 to 5. It's not a life. You get retired at 65 age. What the hell im gonna do after 65? I want to live my life now.

    Making a living by betting would be cool..


    You can do it, but you will need more than 20 K -- You will need closer to 100K my friend--
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshLewis:

    I hate working 9 to 5. It's not a life. You get retired at 65 age. What the hell im gonna do after 65? I want to live my life now.

    Making a living by betting would be cool..


    You can do it, but you will need more than 20 K -- You will need closer to 100K my friend--
     
    JoshLewis
    JoshLewis
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 477
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 4:18 AM ET #40

    50k should do the trick in the beginning I guess.
    Reply
    50k should do the trick in the beginning I guess.
     
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1911
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 4:31 AM ET #41

    Lewis---

    To be the BEST you must ACT like the BEST--

    This requires you creating an OFFICE in your HOME-

    - You need to buy a large eraseable WHITEBOARD- With markers-
    -Buy a 28 inch large computer Samsung Monitor-
    -Buy a Large 60 inch TV that has SPLIT screen capabalities-
    -Have another TV on the wall somewhere- Will allow you to watch 3 games, plus if you use computer you can watch 4 games-
    -Buy a top of the LINE Office leather Chair, you can get it for $250 at Staples,
    -Buy a really Nice Office Desk- Nice looking, modern-
    -Buy some good Computer speakers that are on your DESK-

    -You should have about 8 different OUTLETS to use--
    -The most important thing is knowing how to MANAGE a BANKROLL-

    -If you are EMOTIONAL, you have NO chance at doing this-
    -You have to have other savings also to live on, because when you are getting NO pay cheque, you have to factor in that you may not make anything or that you may suffer a LOSS-

    -Lastly you cannot feel pressure to make money, the WINNERS have to come to you PRESSURE FREE--
    Being forced to try and make money is different than making money and not being pressured into it-

    These are the KEYS my friend-

    Reply
    Lewis---

    To be the BEST you must ACT like the BEST--

    This requires you creating an OFFICE in your HOME-

    - You need to buy a large eraseable WHITEBOARD- With markers-
    -Buy a 28 inch large computer Samsung Monitor-
    -Buy a Large 60 inch TV that has SPLIT screen capabalities-
    -Have another TV on the wall somewhere- Will allow you to watch 3 games, plus if you use computer you can watch 4 games-
    -Buy a top of the LINE Office leather Chair, you can get it for $250 at Staples,
    -Buy a really Nice Office Desk- Nice looking, modern-
    -Buy some good Computer speakers that are on your DESK-

    -You should have about 8 different OUTLETS to use--
    -The most important thing is knowing how to MANAGE a BANKROLL-

    -If you are EMOTIONAL, you have NO chance at doing this-
    -You have to have other savings also to live on, because when you are getting NO pay cheque, you have to factor in that you may not make anything or that you may suffer a LOSS-

    -Lastly you cannot feel pressure to make money, the WINNERS have to come to you PRESSURE FREE--
    Being forced to try and make money is different than making money and not being pressured into it-

    These are the KEYS my friend-

     
    JJuan
    JJuan
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2008
    Posts: 206
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 7:38 AM ET #42

    this thread is worth reading
    Reply
    this thread is worth reading
     
    billyloco
    billyloco
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2004
    Posts: 22557
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 12:42 PM ET #43

    Sammy...you been to my house? You almost described my den exactly as i put it together 4 yrs ago...LOL:!!!
     
    The difference is tho....I CANNOT WATCH WHAT I BET ON!!
     
    Cost me a patio glass door about 12 yrs ago, plus a medium sized TV....its funny now but not to my wife then.
    Reply
    Sammy...you been to my house? You almost described my den exactly as i put it together 4 yrs ago...LOL:!!!
     
    The difference is tho....I CANNOT WATCH WHAT I BET ON!!
     
    Cost me a patio glass door about 12 yrs ago, plus a medium sized TV....its funny now but not to my wife then.
     
    thedegenerate
    thedegenerate
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2004
    Posts: 22102
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 2:08 PM ET #44

    I consider myself semi-pro.  I put about 2000-4000 into play daily depending on the season.  NCAA Hoops is my best sport.  NBA and NCAA football are a distant second and third.  Used to take the baseball season off to refuel and to take a break but I have gotten more involved the past 2 seasons.  I really hit the NCAA Basketball season hard.  On a Saturday,  I will easily put 10k into play.  Lots of totals.  You have to play underdogs to make it in this business.  I listen to Sportsmemo Radio Show daily for new and information.  It is a must.
     
    I do have a full time day job. 
    Reply
    I consider myself semi-pro.  I put about 2000-4000 into play daily depending on the season.  NCAA Hoops is my best sport.  NBA and NCAA football are a distant second and third.  Used to take the baseball season off to refuel and to take a break but I have gotten more involved the past 2 seasons.  I really hit the NCAA Basketball season hard.  On a Saturday,  I will easily put 10k into play.  Lots of totals.  You have to play underdogs to make it in this business.  I listen to Sportsmemo Radio Show daily for new and information.  It is a must.
     
    I do have a full time day job. 
     
    BigBaby11
    BigBaby11
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2008
    Posts: 3356
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 2:23 PM ET #45

    Quitting your jobs to become professional gamblers?

     

    Really guys? c’mon really?

     

    You guys are crazy, lets all quit our jobs during one of the worst economic recessions we have ever seen all move to Vegas and become pro gamblers.

     

    Wake the fuck up,

     

    I am 22 years old, recently graduated with a bachelor of commerce degree from one of the top university business schools in Canada. I have a degree and adequate experience and I will be lucky to get a minimum wage job right now. Nobody is hiring and if they are the competition is insane. I am sure its the same for you guys in the States.

     

    People would kill for your 9 to 5 jobs right now. Be happy with what you have.

     

    Also why would anyone want to move to Vegas and bet tourist lines when they can go online and bet on sites like matchbook and pinnacle?

     

    The difference in lines is what will make or break you over time. I can’t even fathom the thought of someone wanting to do this for a living and moving to Vegas. I understand that some people don’t trust the online sites with their money but you can’t ignore the mathematics behind reduced juice and how it will affect you in the long run.

     
    Reply

    Quitting your jobs to become professional gamblers?

     

    Really guys? c’mon really?

     

    You guys are crazy, lets all quit our jobs during one of the worst economic recessions we have ever seen all move to Vegas and become pro gamblers.

     

    Wake the fuck up,

     

    I am 22 years old, recently graduated with a bachelor of commerce degree from one of the top university business schools in Canada. I have a degree and adequate experience and I will be lucky to get a minimum wage job right now. Nobody is hiring and if they are the competition is insane. I am sure its the same for you guys in the States.

     

    People would kill for your 9 to 5 jobs right now. Be happy with what you have.

     

    Also why would anyone want to move to Vegas and bet tourist lines when they can go online and bet on sites like matchbook and pinnacle?

     

    The difference in lines is what will make or break you over time. I can’t even fathom the thought of someone wanting to do this for a living and moving to Vegas. I understand that some people don’t trust the online sites with their money but you can’t ignore the mathematics behind reduced juice and how it will affect you in the long run.

     
     
    thedegenerate
    thedegenerate
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2004
    Posts: 22102
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 2:32 PM ET #46

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaby11:

    Quitting your jobs to become professional gamblers?

     

    Really guys? c’mon really?

     

    You guys are crazy, lets all quit our jobs during one of the worst economic recessions we have ever seen all move to Vegas and become pro gamblers.

     

    Wake the fuck up,

     

    I am 22 years old, recently graduated with a bachelor of commerce degree from one of the top university business schools in Canada. I have a degree and adequate experience and I will be lucky to get a minimum wage job right now. Nobody is hiring and if they are the competition is insane. I am sure its the same for you guys in the States.

     

    People would kill for your 9 to 5 jobs right now. Be happy with what you have.

     

    Also why would anyone want to move to Vegas and bet tourist lines when they can go online and bet on sites like matchbook and pinnacle?

     

    The difference in lines is what will make or break you over time. I can’t even fathom the thought of someone wanting to do this for a living and moving to Vegas. I understand that some people don’t trust the online sites with their money but you can’t ignore the mathematics behind reduced juice and how it will affect you in the long run.

     

     

    I have a Masters in Speech Pathology.  Insurance is the main reason that I don't think I could ever quit and do it full time.  Maybe when I get closer to retirement I would reconsider but insurance it just to costly and I get it free at my current job.  I work for the state.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaby11:

    Quitting your jobs to become professional gamblers?

     

    Really guys? c’mon really?

     

    You guys are crazy, lets all quit our jobs during one of the worst economic recessions we have ever seen all move to Vegas and become pro gamblers.

     

    Wake the fuck up,

     

    I am 22 years old, recently graduated with a bachelor of commerce degree from one of the top university business schools in Canada. I have a degree and adequate experience and I will be lucky to get a minimum wage job right now. Nobody is hiring and if they are the competition is insane. I am sure its the same for you guys in the States.

     

    People would kill for your 9 to 5 jobs right now. Be happy with what you have.

     

    Also why would anyone want to move to Vegas and bet tourist lines when they can go online and bet on sites like matchbook and pinnacle?

     

    The difference in lines is what will make or break you over time. I can’t even fathom the thought of someone wanting to do this for a living and moving to Vegas. I understand that some people don’t trust the online sites with their money but you can’t ignore the mathematics behind reduced juice and how it will affect you in the long run.

     

     

    I have a Masters in Speech Pathology.  Insurance is the main reason that I don't think I could ever quit and do it full time.  Maybe when I get closer to retirement I would reconsider but insurance it just to costly and I get it free at my current job.  I work for the state.

     
    BigBaby11
    BigBaby11
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2008
    Posts: 3356
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 2:54 PM ET #47

    Quote Originally Posted by thedegenerate:

     

    I have a Masters in Speech Pathology.  Insurance is the main reason that I don't think I could ever quit and do it full time.  Maybe when I get closer to retirement I would reconsider but insurance it just to costly and I get it free at my current job.  I work for the state.

    Free insurance is key. I don’t doubt anyone’s ability, and I agree that if done properly it is possible to be profitable in the long run.

    There are so many factors though that must be considered before even thinking about doing this for a living. 95% of the people talking about quitting their jobs to pursue this need to rethink the idea.

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by thedegenerate:

     

    I have a Masters in Speech Pathology.  Insurance is the main reason that I don't think I could ever quit and do it full time.  Maybe when I get closer to retirement I would reconsider but insurance it just to costly and I get it free at my current job.  I work for the state.

    Free insurance is key. I don’t doubt anyone’s ability, and I agree that if done properly it is possible to be profitable in the long run.

    There are so many factors though that must be considered before even thinking about doing this for a living. 95% of the people talking about quitting their jobs to pursue this need to rethink the idea.

     

     
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1911
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 3:02 PM ET #48


    This is true, quitting a job sounds like a good idea and to turn PRO but I would estimate that over 99% of people that try this would not be succesfull in trying to do this--

    The key is BANKROLL- How much bankroll do you have before you decide to quit your JOB-
    IN total with a GAMING ACCOUNT PLUS your personal SAVINGS ACCOUNT YOU NEED ABOUT 200 K to even consider THIS-

    BIG BABY brings up some good points, people are dying for jobs, so if you have a JOB feel happy and LUCKY to have a JOB--

    The people who think they can quit their JOB and do this full time, you have to have EXCEPTIONAL ability in this field- On A PRODIGY LEVEL to do it Full time-
    You need to have no EMOTION--

    Ex- Consider you have 20k that someone said, now if they want to make lets say 60k a year, that means you have to Triple that 20 k oringinal bankrolll which is not easy by any means-

    A more feasible approach would be to have 200k and say I want to make a 33% return which would result in about making 65k for the year-

    Doing it Full time is nothing other than RUNNING your own BUSINESS, HOWEVER it is a business where you need 4 THINGS TO DO WELL-

    1- BE able to PICK WINNERS-
    2-Remain EMOTIONLESS at ALL TIMES
    3- Discipline
    4-Patience-

    If you have the ABOVE with a bankroll you can do it--

    A lot of the reason people think it CANT be done, is because many people have FAILED, but in reality when one person fails there is a reason, and if someone learns from peoples mistakes IT CAN BE DONE 100% FOR SURE-

    So the bottom LINE Is IT CAN BE DONE- I stick by that statement 100%- However you must have what i stated above and BE A PRODIGY-
    A PRODIGY is someone that just knows HOW TO WIN--



    Reply

    This is true, quitting a job sounds like a good idea and to turn PRO but I would estimate that over 99% of people that try this would not be succesfull in trying to do this--

    The key is BANKROLL- How much bankroll do you have before you decide to quit your JOB-
    IN total with a GAMING ACCOUNT PLUS your personal SAVINGS ACCOUNT YOU NEED ABOUT 200 K to even consider THIS-

    BIG BABY brings up some good points, people are dying for jobs, so if you have a JOB feel happy and LUCKY to have a JOB--

    The people who think they can quit their JOB and do this full time, you have to have EXCEPTIONAL ability in this field- On A PRODIGY LEVEL to do it Full time-
    You need to have no EMOTION--

    Ex- Consider you have 20k that someone said, now if they want to make lets say 60k a year, that means you have to Triple that 20 k oringinal bankrolll which is not easy by any means-

    A more feasible approach would be to have 200k and say I want to make a 33% return which would result in about making 65k for the year-

    Doing it Full time is nothing other than RUNNING your own BUSINESS, HOWEVER it is a business where you need 4 THINGS TO DO WELL-

    1- BE able to PICK WINNERS-
    2-Remain EMOTIONLESS at ALL TIMES
    3- Discipline
    4-Patience-

    If you have the ABOVE with a bankroll you can do it--

    A lot of the reason people think it CANT be done, is because many people have FAILED, but in reality when one person fails there is a reason, and if someone learns from peoples mistakes IT CAN BE DONE 100% FOR SURE-

    So the bottom LINE Is IT CAN BE DONE- I stick by that statement 100%- However you must have what i stated above and BE A PRODIGY-
    A PRODIGY is someone that just knows HOW TO WIN--



     
    BigBaby11
    BigBaby11
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2008
    Posts: 3356
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 3:36 PM ET #49

    Here is a simple example (Vegas vs. Online)

     

    Right now at the Las Vegas Hilton you can get

     

    Boston-2 at -110

     

    Right now on matchbook you can get

     

    Boston-2 at +100

     

    Let’s say over the next week, 2 different people make 10 wagers on NBA games at these prices. One person in Vegas and one person online. Both bet to win 1000$ and both go 5-5 over the course of the week.

     

    The person in Vegas would lay $1100 to win $1000 10 times. Since he went 5-5 he would be down 500$ because of the juice.

     

    The person who bets online would bet $1000 to win $1000. He too went 5-5 too but would break even because he is not laying juice on his wagers.

     

    This is a very simple example but over the course of a season and over years of gambling reducing the juice is one of the most important things to consider. The only way to reduce juice is by wagering online. Correct me if I am wrong, but both times I have been to Vegas it seemed every casino would have spreads priced at -110 for both sides.

     

    Trying to do this for a living in Vegas would reduce your profit in the long run.

    Reply

    Here is a simple example (Vegas vs. Online)

     

    Right now at the Las Vegas Hilton you can get

     

    Boston-2 at -110

     

    Right now on matchbook you can get

     

    Boston-2 at +100

     

    Let’s say over the next week, 2 different people make 10 wagers on NBA games at these prices. One person in Vegas and one person online. Both bet to win 1000$ and both go 5-5 over the course of the week.

     

    The person in Vegas would lay $1100 to win $1000 10 times. Since he went 5-5 he would be down 500$ because of the juice.

     

    The person who bets online would bet $1000 to win $1000. He too went 5-5 too but would break even because he is not laying juice on his wagers.

     

    This is a very simple example but over the course of a season and over years of gambling reducing the juice is one of the most important things to consider. The only way to reduce juice is by wagering online. Correct me if I am wrong, but both times I have been to Vegas it seemed every casino would have spreads priced at -110 for both sides.

     

    Trying to do this for a living in Vegas would reduce your profit in the long run.

     
     
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Sammy_Meatballs
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1911
    Posted: May. 4, 2009 - 3:47 PM ET #50


    This is true my friend, LOW juice is basically like getting CASH back on your credit card---

    Its like basically getting a % of your losses back--

    Reduced Juice does not effect certain bettors who think they will win anyway---
    Ex- I have been betting at a place that has -120 CENTS juice Both ways for live betting-- That is how they win charging 20 cents both ways-

    If I win 20 bets and lose 17 bets- I lose money- Win $2000 and Lose $2040 -- so down -$40

    However the 20 cent Juice does not concern me at all, because I dont play a game with the intention of Losing it, and I am nowhere near 50% WINNING RATE- I am much higher than that, and in that case the Juice is not a factor for me, because I am hitting percentages that would make JUICE a non factor---

    However If I make a straight wager, I do it through PINNY, as their JUICE is great- you save tons of cash and get + money on the teams you like also-
    Reduced Juice is great for sure on straight wagers-

    Reply

    This is true my friend, LOW juice is basically like getting CASH back on your credit card---

    Its like basically getting a % of your losses back--

    Reduced Juice does not effect certain bettors who think they will win anyway---
    Ex- I have been betting at a place that has -120 CENTS juice Both ways for live betting-- That is how they win charging 20 cents both ways-

    If I win 20 bets and lose 17 bets- I lose money- Win $2000 and Lose $2040 -- so down -$40

    However the 20 cent Juice does not concern me at all, because I dont play a game with the intention of Losing it, and I am nowhere near 50% WINNING RATE- I am much higher than that, and in that case the Juice is not a factor for me, because I am hitting percentages that would make JUICE a non factor---

    However If I make a straight wager, I do it through PINNY, as their JUICE is great- you save tons of cash and get + money on the teams you like also-
    Reduced Juice is great for sure on straight wagers-

    All Forums | Gaming Industry - US
    «First Previous 123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,609
    • Sunday 09/27/2026 502
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,090
    • Rams vs Broncos in game live SNF 2,516
    • Sunday 3,119
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 101,900
    • HELP PLEASE 1,388
    • NFL Sunday 7,273
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 13,522
    • ***Macwesties * Thur. * Sun. Sept. 24, 27, 2026 * Week #3 * NFL Football Plays* 8,734

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.