• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Steelers-Browns Picks
      • Week 4 Survivor Picks
      • NFL Week 4 Odds
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | College Football

    I need serious serious gambling help

    «First Previous 123 Next Last»
    nostradamus12
    PNE168
    GEAUX_SLC2ATL
    syracusejoe
    ham_choi
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 5573
    Posts: 63
    «First Previous 123 Next Last»
     
    nostradamus12
    nostradamus12
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2007
    Posts: 10740
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 4:31 AM ET #26

    one thing you could do is....lower the amount of your bets to max 1K until you start winning....then don't ever make your owns picks again....pick a couple long term successful cappers and blindly follow every game they pick for a year and then until they die...you'll still get the action and you'll win money no question if you find the right couple of cappers...you won't be as popular at the bodega or with the bookies when you start breaking their balls long term...eventually they'll kick you out, then use winnings to have someone pummel them if they still owe any, good luck to you either way

    Reply

    one thing you could do is....lower the amount of your bets to max 1K until you start winning....then don't ever make your owns picks again....pick a couple long term successful cappers and blindly follow every game they pick for a year and then until they die...you'll still get the action and you'll win money no question if you find the right couple of cappers...you won't be as popular at the bodega or with the bookies when you start breaking their balls long term...eventually they'll kick you out, then use winnings to have someone pummel them if they still owe any, good luck to you either way

     
    nostradamus12
    nostradamus12
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2007
    Posts: 10740
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 4:36 AM ET #27

    also as reward to the capper(s) you follow and start making money with you can send them a few of the extra highest quality babes
    Reply
    also as reward to the capper(s) you follow and start making money with you can send them a few of the extra highest quality babes
     
    PNE168
    PNE168
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 548
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 5:47 AM ET #28

    Reply
     
    GEAUX_SLC2ATL
    GEAUX_SLC2ATL
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2013
    Posts: 105
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 7:11 AM ET #29

    Prayers are with you. Like any addiction, gambling out of control is no joke. I think the key for you is finding an adrenaline outlet that gives you the same rush wagering does. Everybody has a different one, but I hope you find yours and are able to get it together!

    God bless and best of luck!
    Reply
    Prayers are with you. Like any addiction, gambling out of control is no joke. I think the key for you is finding an adrenaline outlet that gives you the same rush wagering does. Everybody has a different one, but I hope you find yours and are able to get it together!

    God bless and best of luck!
     
    syracusejoe
    syracusejoe
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 2840
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 7:35 AM ET #30

    Are you in the stripper business? You get to bang chicks everyday and make 200k in less than a year. Driving a BMW. Let me put it this way. You are living a mans dream. Cut down on the bets a bit and find yourself a regular girl to date.
    Reply
    Are you in the stripper business? You get to bang chicks everyday and make 200k in less than a year. Driving a BMW. Let me put it this way. You are living a mans dream. Cut down on the bets a bit and find yourself a regular girl to date.
     
    ham_choi
    ham_choi
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2016
    Posts: 13
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 7:55 AM ET #31

    I was once in your same shoe. Feeling the same sh_t that you are feeling. Find another hobby, Go exercise, read a book, turn off internet on your phone and ask your bookie to close your account for the season. Are you not man enough to stop gambling? The money you lost is gone !!! Don't even think you gonna get it back dude. Why do you think Vegas makes so much money and pay their employees. ?
    For me ,I have done all the stupid sh_t above. Now I still play to enjoy sports with being 50 bucks to 100 max bet. I now follow a couple good free handicapper on the site just to have fun and have a better percentage on the win column. But even they can have bad days....
    Good luck man.
    Reply
    I was once in your same shoe. Feeling the same sh_t that you are feeling. Find another hobby, Go exercise, read a book, turn off internet on your phone and ask your bookie to close your account for the season. Are you not man enough to stop gambling? The money you lost is gone !!! Don't even think you gonna get it back dude. Why do you think Vegas makes so much money and pay their employees. ?
    For me ,I have done all the stupid sh_t above. Now I still play to enjoy sports with being 50 bucks to 100 max bet. I now follow a couple good free handicapper on the site just to have fun and have a better percentage on the win column. But even they can have bad days....
    Good luck man.
     
    KingRGIII
    KingRGIII
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 9042
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 8:04 AM ET #32

    Don't run from it, embrace it. Gambling can be fun when you make the right bets.  

    Speaking of which, I have my WNBA GOY going this weekend.  After you follow and win with this pick you will forget all about this thread. 
    Reply
    Don't run from it, embrace it. Gambling can be fun when you make the right bets.  

    Speaking of which, I have my WNBA GOY going this weekend.  After you follow and win with this pick you will forget all about this thread. 
     
    smac38
    smac38
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2005
    Posts: 32866
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 8:17 AM ET #33

    Quote Originally Posted by jrgumpert:




    I've heard of folks suggesting 90 meetings in the first 90 days because that really seems to work. After 90 days you are far enough away from the fish bowl to wake up and say, what the F have I been doing to myself and why did I ever do it.

    At that point it is strongly suggested to go to 1-2 meeting a week but hell, that's only 1-2 hours a week worth of medicine. If the meetings seem to ramble over an hour, just leave early that night.

    I think prolly 30-40% of the folks on this board are compulsive gamblers whereas probably 10% of the general public is. Although I think probably 50% of the population has that same addictive personality. The problem is, cigarettes, beer or ice cream won't break you down like gambling will. I think it's the most wrecking financially of  all the addictions and one of the hardest to quit.

    The recidivism/relapse rate for compulsive gamblers is probably as high as it is for Heroin addicts.

    I'd find a meeting, a higher power and a sponsor. You're not going to solve all your problems at once but one day at a time your life will get better. I'm doing some sole searching right now myself actually. I'm missing a lot of time with my son and away (mentally) from my business with this obsession to figure what I'm going to gamble on next.  I've come very close in the last few weeks into having bookmaker shut down my account in fact. I did it once at Pinnacle years ago. Two years later I tried to open it back up and they said, sorry, but we take that problem you mentioned very seriously and won't reopen it. Anyway, lots of opinions there including those percentages I through out. GL man, hopefully those of us who need to quit find that grace from up above. Only a few lucky ones ever get that grace.

    Well said. I hope things turn around for you jr 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgumpert:




    I've heard of folks suggesting 90 meetings in the first 90 days because that really seems to work. After 90 days you are far enough away from the fish bowl to wake up and say, what the F have I been doing to myself and why did I ever do it.

    At that point it is strongly suggested to go to 1-2 meeting a week but hell, that's only 1-2 hours a week worth of medicine. If the meetings seem to ramble over an hour, just leave early that night.

    I think prolly 30-40% of the folks on this board are compulsive gamblers whereas probably 10% of the general public is. Although I think probably 50% of the population has that same addictive personality. The problem is, cigarettes, beer or ice cream won't break you down like gambling will. I think it's the most wrecking financially of  all the addictions and one of the hardest to quit.

    The recidivism/relapse rate for compulsive gamblers is probably as high as it is for Heroin addicts.

    I'd find a meeting, a higher power and a sponsor. You're not going to solve all your problems at once but one day at a time your life will get better. I'm doing some sole searching right now myself actually. I'm missing a lot of time with my son and away (mentally) from my business with this obsession to figure what I'm going to gamble on next.  I've come very close in the last few weeks into having bookmaker shut down my account in fact. I did it once at Pinnacle years ago. Two years later I tried to open it back up and they said, sorry, but we take that problem you mentioned very seriously and won't reopen it. Anyway, lots of opinions there including those percentages I through out. GL man, hopefully those of us who need to quit find that grace from up above. Only a few lucky ones ever get that grace.

    Well said. I hope things turn around for you jr 
     
    LetsWIN999
    LetsWIN999
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2015
    Posts: 1040
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 8:24 AM ET #34

    Quote Originally Posted by KingRGIII:

    Don't run from it, embrace it. Gambling can be fun when you make the right bets.  

    Speaking of which, I have my WNBA GOY going this weekend.  After you follow and win with this pick you will forget all about this thread. 
    U idiot people commit suicide over gambling u think your WNBA game will save someone's life?

    Think before u speak or don't speak at all.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRGIII:

    Don't run from it, embrace it. Gambling can be fun when you make the right bets.  

    Speaking of which, I have my WNBA GOY going this weekend.  After you follow and win with this pick you will forget all about this thread. 
    U idiot people commit suicide over gambling u think your WNBA game will save someone's life?

    Think before u speak or don't speak at all.
     
    poppingbands17
    poppingbands17
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2014
    Posts: 730
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 8:50 AM ET #35

    Damn reading this thready is depressing. Think I am going to slide to a different one. BOL to everyone in her in their venture in LIFE!
    PEACE OUT!!! 
    Reply
    Damn reading this thready is depressing. Think I am going to slide to a different one. BOL to everyone in her in their venture in LIFE!
    PEACE OUT!!! 
     
    Natty68
    Natty68
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2014
    Posts: 3310
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 9:21 AM ET #36

     Hope things improve...........soooo, where is this place you speak of?  I would kill for a local that reliably pays out daily.
    As long as they pretend to pay me I will pretend to work
    Reply
     Hope things improve...........soooo, where is this place you speak of?  I would kill for a local that reliably pays out daily.
     
    jdr016
    jdr016
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2006
    Posts: 6591
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 10:37 AM ET #37

    Check out a GA meeting. It can't hurt. It's free. Although, members usually donate a couple of dollars to help the organization. 


    Reply
    Check out a GA meeting. It can't hurt. It's free. Although, members usually donate a couple of dollars to help the organization. 


     
    Dragonbreathe
    Dragonbreathe
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2015
    Posts: 381
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 10:38 AM ET #38

    I just smoked some broccoli, so i will give you my 2 cents. When you Gamble, you draw in negative energy and negative spirits around you. It may come from friends or family or the guy or girl on Covers Forum. An invisible ghost who wants you to lose. The only way to get rid of all these negative energies is to donate a small portion of your winnings.
    There you will find positive energy and positive spirits that beat all the negative. $500 isn't a lot for a bettor, but is for a child in need.  Be thankful this happen to you now, instead of 20 yrs later. 
    Reply
    I just smoked some broccoli, so i will give you my 2 cents. When you Gamble, you draw in negative energy and negative spirits around you. It may come from friends or family or the guy or girl on Covers Forum. An invisible ghost who wants you to lose. The only way to get rid of all these negative energies is to donate a small portion of your winnings.
    There you will find positive energy and positive spirits that beat all the negative. $500 isn't a lot for a bettor, but is for a child in need.  Be thankful this happen to you now, instead of 20 yrs later. 
     
    jdr016
    jdr016
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2006
    Posts: 6591
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 10:41 AM ET #39

    Some good advice in this thread. But, some really, really bad advice too! Like scary advice. I really hope some of you guys are joking. Covers is a scary place!
    Reply
    Some good advice in this thread. But, some really, really bad advice too! Like scary advice. I really hope some of you guys are joking. Covers is a scary place!
     
    tenplay
    tenplay
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2005
    Posts: 440
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 10:47 AM ET #40

    I used to bet 1-5k per game for years - enough to learn that I was never going to win enough from the books to make a real difference in my lifestyle.  A close friend asked me why I bet on games.  Was it for possible income (almost impossible) or just the action?  I had to admit that I loved the action of following and watching games that I had a stake in.  It wasn't so much the challenge of making a lot of money but rather just having an emotional stake in the games.  I learned that I care about the games no matter if I have $1k or $10 on a game.  So now I bet as many games as I want for $5 or $10 per game with an occasional $50 or $100 bet if I am really convinced that I have a solid read on the game.  I really feel invested in the games without the risk of large bets.  And I don't have to hear it from my old lady and family anymore.  It really was the action I wanted and not the unlikely income.
    Reply
    I used to bet 1-5k per game for years - enough to learn that I was never going to win enough from the books to make a real difference in my lifestyle.  A close friend asked me why I bet on games.  Was it for possible income (almost impossible) or just the action?  I had to admit that I loved the action of following and watching games that I had a stake in.  It wasn't so much the challenge of making a lot of money but rather just having an emotional stake in the games.  I learned that I care about the games no matter if I have $1k or $10 on a game.  So now I bet as many games as I want for $5 or $10 per game with an occasional $50 or $100 bet if I am really convinced that I have a solid read on the game.  I really feel invested in the games without the risk of large bets.  And I don't have to hear it from my old lady and family anymore.  It really was the action I wanted and not the unlikely income.
     
    finsterbaby
    finsterbaby
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2015
    Posts: 21848
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 10:56 AM ET #41

    8 ur fine, am writing a book gettin published around the new yr. DONT STOP GAMBLING, STOP LOSIN!! I can get u started BAC winnig again if u like 8.
    Reply
    8 ur fine, am writing a book gettin published around the new yr. DONT STOP GAMBLING, STOP LOSIN!! I can get u started BAC winnig again if u like 8.
     
    LetsWIN999
    LetsWIN999
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2015
    Posts: 1040
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 11:36 AM ET #42

    I once saw a 60 minutes interview with Steve Wynn and he said believe it or not that he has NEVER met a winning gambler. They all lose he said.

    Makes you think why we gamble.
    Reply
    I once saw a 60 minutes interview with Steve Wynn and he said believe it or not that he has NEVER met a winning gambler. They all lose he said.

    Makes you think why we gamble.
     
    mikeru3
    mikeru3
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2008
    Posts: 22710
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 11:44 AM ET #43

      Good luck this week!
    Reply
      Good luck this week!
     
    tjohnsont
    tjohnsont
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 5761
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 11:45 AM ET #44

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIBBLE4LIFE:


    First off, one-liner insults are far more effective. I cna tell you are quite yuong.

    Second, there is something called compassion and empathy. Learn it. What BETTER place to get advice on how to quit, than from other degenerate gamblers? The OP opened up and asked for help. That makes much more of a real man, than you will ever hope to be.

    You say a lot of things that make zero sense.  Apples and oranges.  My age has nothing to do with compassion and empathy.  And neither does my wife's orgasms.  

    You been on this forum long enough to understand that there are always gonna be one of these types that write these long winded sad stories.  There's no compassion since everyone and their mom knows gambling drinking drugs etc is bad for you.  Either play responsibly or quit.  There's no crying in gambling.  If you have that much money to lose you shouldn't feel sorry for yourself when there are many more people worse off than you.  

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIBBLE4LIFE:


    First off, one-liner insults are far more effective. I cna tell you are quite yuong.

    Second, there is something called compassion and empathy. Learn it. What BETTER place to get advice on how to quit, than from other degenerate gamblers? The OP opened up and asked for help. That makes much more of a real man, than you will ever hope to be.

    You say a lot of things that make zero sense.  Apples and oranges.  My age has nothing to do with compassion and empathy.  And neither does my wife's orgasms.  

    You been on this forum long enough to understand that there are always gonna be one of these types that write these long winded sad stories.  There's no compassion since everyone and their mom knows gambling drinking drugs etc is bad for you.  Either play responsibly or quit.  There's no crying in gambling.  If you have that much money to lose you shouldn't feel sorry for yourself when there are many more people worse off than you.  

     
    slamspurs
    slamspurs
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2004
    Posts: 5717
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 11:48 AM ET #45

    If your income is indeed what it is, then you can walk away.

    Part of my problem is that when I decided to stop was that I was in debt and my income isn't that much. I probably take home around 35k a year after taxes.

    You can walk away and have hundreds of thousands tucked away with a little saving for a couple of years. I hope your business is stable, because you've obviously been using it as a crutch for many years.

    Stop watching sports, stop watching ESPN. Nowadays, I only watch the home team in NFL, and perhaps the 4 oclock primetime game if it's a big one.

    I don't want SNF, I almost never watch MNF. I don't watch boring baseball, only watch basketball on occasion. 

    I stopped around the age of 27 just like you. When I headed towards 30, my energy level started to drop, and I couldn't handle the grueling schedule of a full time job and gambling all night afterwards and watching games.

    Also, most of my friends started having serious relationships at that time, started getting engaged, and at 30 most of them are having kids now.

    So none of my friends are really gambling anymore. If they are, it's typically a weekend parlay, or a hundred bucks or so a game. They don't really even talk about it much, because they do it for fun.

    So age my catch up with you. If it doesn't just try and get away from things that would tempt you. I never went to bars to watch games, nor am I a big drinker, so that was easy.

    I got away from people for a while, and stopped watching football. All other sports either move too slowly, or are too back and forth to even watch (basketball).

    So you can do it, but you have to make sure you are set up for success. Like if you're an alcoholic, you shouldn't be going to bars, should take it easy on the partying and clubbing.

    Try to find a hobby. I started working on my car as it started to age and needed a lot of repairs. Or put the effort into your business. It can be even more successful if you put the time in. 

    I try to avoid casinos too. I've gone a few times, and every time I drop 500 bucks or more. This is just playing nickel slots and $25 blackjack. So I try to avoid going now, knowing my compulsive tendencies. 
    Reply
    If your income is indeed what it is, then you can walk away.

    Part of my problem is that when I decided to stop was that I was in debt and my income isn't that much. I probably take home around 35k a year after taxes.

    You can walk away and have hundreds of thousands tucked away with a little saving for a couple of years. I hope your business is stable, because you've obviously been using it as a crutch for many years.

    Stop watching sports, stop watching ESPN. Nowadays, I only watch the home team in NFL, and perhaps the 4 oclock primetime game if it's a big one.

    I don't want SNF, I almost never watch MNF. I don't watch boring baseball, only watch basketball on occasion. 

    I stopped around the age of 27 just like you. When I headed towards 30, my energy level started to drop, and I couldn't handle the grueling schedule of a full time job and gambling all night afterwards and watching games.

    Also, most of my friends started having serious relationships at that time, started getting engaged, and at 30 most of them are having kids now.

    So none of my friends are really gambling anymore. If they are, it's typically a weekend parlay, or a hundred bucks or so a game. They don't really even talk about it much, because they do it for fun.

    So age my catch up with you. If it doesn't just try and get away from things that would tempt you. I never went to bars to watch games, nor am I a big drinker, so that was easy.

    I got away from people for a while, and stopped watching football. All other sports either move too slowly, or are too back and forth to even watch (basketball).

    So you can do it, but you have to make sure you are set up for success. Like if you're an alcoholic, you shouldn't be going to bars, should take it easy on the partying and clubbing.

    Try to find a hobby. I started working on my car as it started to age and needed a lot of repairs. Or put the effort into your business. It can be even more successful if you put the time in. 

    I try to avoid casinos too. I've gone a few times, and every time I drop 500 bucks or more. This is just playing nickel slots and $25 blackjack. So I try to avoid going now, knowing my compulsive tendencies. 
     
    tjohnsont
    tjohnsont
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 5761
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 12:13 PM ET #46

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIBBLE4LIFE:


    First off, one-liner insults are far more effective. I cna tell you are quite yuong.

    Second, there is something called compassion and empathy. Learn it. What BETTER place to get advice on how to quit, than from other degenerate gamblers? The OP opened up and asked for help. That makes much more of a real man, than you will ever hope to be.

    I have more compassion for you cuzyour heart is in the right place but your brains aren't.  I'm here to to help get the stupid out of you.  Grab yourself some tissues:

    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=22&sub=101580957

    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=35&sub=101748850

    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=41&sub=101026373
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIBBLE4LIFE:


    First off, one-liner insults are far more effective. I cna tell you are quite yuong.

    Second, there is something called compassion and empathy. Learn it. What BETTER place to get advice on how to quit, than from other degenerate gamblers? The OP opened up and asked for help. That makes much more of a real man, than you will ever hope to be.

    I have more compassion for you cuzyour heart is in the right place but your brains aren't.  I'm here to to help get the stupid out of you.  Grab yourself some tissues:

    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=22&sub=101580957

    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=35&sub=101748850

    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=41&sub=101026373
     
    bigvern1013
    bigvern1013
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 3051
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 12:40 PM ET #47

    They say it takes 60 days to change the mental patterns associated with basic decision making. Upwards of years to change an addicted personality.

    In order to change behavior, all stimulus must be removed. All of it. So, that means, move away from Boston and the influence of gambling. Quit watching sports. Dump social media, and Covers, altogether.

    You will be left with a tremendous void. Not sure how you will fill it, but you won't be gambling.

    Honestly, I am not sure that your outlook on life will improve at all....but, you will have more money. And in America, that can provide you nearly anything you think you may want.

    Best of luck.

    Never Make A Winner A Loser. Never.
    Reply

    They say it takes 60 days to change the mental patterns associated with basic decision making. Upwards of years to change an addicted personality.

    In order to change behavior, all stimulus must be removed. All of it. So, that means, move away from Boston and the influence of gambling. Quit watching sports. Dump social media, and Covers, altogether.

    You will be left with a tremendous void. Not sure how you will fill it, but you won't be gambling.

    Honestly, I am not sure that your outlook on life will improve at all....but, you will have more money. And in America, that can provide you nearly anything you think you may want.

    Best of luck.

     
    lordzud
    lordzud
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2010
    Posts: 2349
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 2:43 PM ET #48

    I love betting on college football, but I am one cheap mofo who plays with a fixed budget for the season. I put it into a reduced rate offshore book what i can afford to lose for the season and I limit my bets to 5% of bankroll. I go larger than that now and then. It is a fun hobby, no more and no less. 


    Guys like this with a long history of gambling addiction have to walk away from gambling all together. 


    A will tell you a true story about what bookies do every Monday morning. They call up the losers to collect. They don't answer their cell phone so they call up the land line or the wife's cell phone and the wife answers. She recognizes the voice. She knows instantly that her loser husband broke his promise and gambled again. She knows they don't have the money, she breathes hate through the phone and finally the husband gets on the line. He promises to pay but in the background you can here the sounds of a family breaking apart. Kids crying, wife screaming, it is terrible. My friend couldn't take so he quit being a bookie. The bookies are big time Aholes because they don't give a shite how many families they destroy. The bookies are backed by people much worse then they are. The mob has the collectors who if need be make house calls to make sure the debts are collected. They act very professionally and they get their money because these mofos are very scary people. 

    It is a very dirty business that I strongly suggest you stay completely away from unless you 1) have self control and 2) start small just to make your love of football a little more entertaining. If you are good your bankroll grows and your bets grow but guess what, you earned the right. Don't ever use locals, they demand large bets and they are ever so nice until you owe them money. Then you get to meet their associates, and they make house calls.

    buyer beware, bettor beware
    Reply
    I love betting on college football, but I am one cheap mofo who plays with a fixed budget for the season. I put it into a reduced rate offshore book what i can afford to lose for the season and I limit my bets to 5% of bankroll. I go larger than that now and then. It is a fun hobby, no more and no less. 


    Guys like this with a long history of gambling addiction have to walk away from gambling all together. 


    A will tell you a true story about what bookies do every Monday morning. They call up the losers to collect. They don't answer their cell phone so they call up the land line or the wife's cell phone and the wife answers. She recognizes the voice. She knows instantly that her loser husband broke his promise and gambled again. She knows they don't have the money, she breathes hate through the phone and finally the husband gets on the line. He promises to pay but in the background you can here the sounds of a family breaking apart. Kids crying, wife screaming, it is terrible. My friend couldn't take so he quit being a bookie. The bookies are big time Aholes because they don't give a shite how many families they destroy. The bookies are backed by people much worse then they are. The mob has the collectors who if need be make house calls to make sure the debts are collected. They act very professionally and they get their money because these mofos are very scary people. 

    It is a very dirty business that I strongly suggest you stay completely away from unless you 1) have self control and 2) start small just to make your love of football a little more entertaining. If you are good your bankroll grows and your bets grow but guess what, you earned the right. Don't ever use locals, they demand large bets and they are ever so nice until you owe them money. Then you get to meet their associates, and they make house calls.

    buyer beware, bettor beware
     
    pinkpantherbets
    pinkpantherbets
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2015
    Posts: 84
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 2:53 PM ET #49

    The problem with Gambling and why Vegas always wins is guys don't know how to walk away. An exact number to hit before walking is??? $200,000, 1 million? 2 million?? Everyone has their number...The problem is that its not the number you're chasing its the thrill...the rush after a big win...We've all been there. money management is a skill that takes time, patience and experience....Even the most dedicated of gamblers find themselves making bets they shouldn't. But the true winners are guys that A.) maintain sound money management. And B.) know when to walk away despite a major MNF game on deck. find something else that keeps you happy other than gambling....do that....find a balance with this.....if not it will destroy you....you're young..bright and make more money than most people can only dream about.  Dont be greedy with it. Take your time, be patient, pick your spots.  its that's simple but so many complicate it.  I wish you luck man.
    Reply
    The problem with Gambling and why Vegas always wins is guys don't know how to walk away. An exact number to hit before walking is??? $200,000, 1 million? 2 million?? Everyone has their number...The problem is that its not the number you're chasing its the thrill...the rush after a big win...We've all been there. money management is a skill that takes time, patience and experience....Even the most dedicated of gamblers find themselves making bets they shouldn't. But the true winners are guys that A.) maintain sound money management. And B.) know when to walk away despite a major MNF game on deck. find something else that keeps you happy other than gambling....do that....find a balance with this.....if not it will destroy you....you're young..bright and make more money than most people can only dream about.  Dont be greedy with it. Take your time, be patient, pick your spots.  its that's simple but so many complicate it.  I wish you luck man.
     
     
    Temple71
    Temple71
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 2628
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2016 - 3:33 PM ET #50

    I feel for you Brotha - but unless you can play/gamble with boundaries and some kinda discipline it will continue to eat you alive. I know it will be hard to walk away from, but start by finding something else that can occupy your mind (Thoughts) for even a little while. I highly recommend for you to go down to your local soup kitchen or better yet, the cancer ward at the nearest kids hospital (I honestly have done both of these things in the past..although I'm ashamed to say not yet again this year) but that will be the best time you have ever spent, and should take your mind off your own worries for a bit and truly put things into perspective for you. Try to keep your chin up and even the smallest efforts will add up before you know it -- "This too shall pass" 
    Reply
    I feel for you Brotha - but unless you can play/gamble with boundaries and some kinda discipline it will continue to eat you alive. I know it will be hard to walk away from, but start by finding something else that can occupy your mind (Thoughts) for even a little while. I highly recommend for you to go down to your local soup kitchen or better yet, the cancer ward at the nearest kids hospital (I honestly have done both of these things in the past..although I'm ashamed to say not yet again this year) but that will be the best time you have ever spent, and should take your mind off your own worries for a bit and truly put things into perspective for you. Try to keep your chin up and even the smallest efforts will add up before you know it -- "This too shall pass" 
    All Forums | College Football
    «First Previous 123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 450,815
    • Serious Streak Survivor Strategies 1,918,201
    • Eagles vs Bears in-game live MNF 2,837
    • PART DEUX 293
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,301
    • Monday 09/28/2026 819
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,008
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 102,470
    • Eagles@Bears discussion 3,734
    • ?? KBO Plays 🥎 15,580

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.