• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | The Archives

    Moving to Vegas to become a full time pro handicapper

    «First Previous 238239240 ... 567568569 Next Last»
    vanzack
    collegegambler
    scalabrine
    KennyWoo
    RodWoman
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 973052
    Posts: 14201
    «First Previous 238239240 ... 567568569 Next Last»
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:38 PM ET #5926

    Quote Originally Posted by mbialowas:


    No idea which "part", I am  not an expert on the subject that's why I'm going to be looking into this. My accountant, is who I  listen to when it comes to tax time. Not disagreeing on anything,  I will have to look into this.

    So you pay the US tax man on income made in a foreign country?

    Don't misunderstand my questions for being argumentative.  They are not intended that way.

    I do think your tax advisor is extremely misinformed.

    Making money overseas as an American is extremely common.  And certainly not illegal.  And you are required to declare your income, regardless of source country.  It is as simple as that.  I would be very surprised that anybody advising on tax issues would say anything differently - that's why I asked you for clarification.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by mbialowas:


    No idea which "part", I am  not an expert on the subject that's why I'm going to be looking into this. My accountant, is who I  listen to when it comes to tax time. Not disagreeing on anything,  I will have to look into this.

    So you pay the US tax man on income made in a foreign country?

    Don't misunderstand my questions for being argumentative.  They are not intended that way.

    I do think your tax advisor is extremely misinformed.

    Making money overseas as an American is extremely common.  And certainly not illegal.  And you are required to declare your income, regardless of source country.  It is as simple as that.  I would be very surprised that anybody advising on tax issues would say anything differently - that's why I asked you for clarification.

     
    collegegambler
    collegegambler
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2008
    Posts: 16192
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:40 PM ET #5927

    Will prob do the apps soon with the books only prob they have my SS # then. Nice now with them not knowing who I am when I bet
    Reply
    Will prob do the apps soon with the books only prob they have my SS # then. Nice now with them not knowing who I am when I bet
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:41 PM ET #5928

    Quote Originally Posted by Champ_Iz_Here:

    Scal * scam same difference. Great break down on this game pal hahahaha


    I didn't break down the game at all. Where did I break down the game?

    I broke down his basis for playing the game which of course, made little sense.

    I said the EXACT same thing about the Clippers bench while the game was tied. I didn't care whether he won or lost. Because the Clippers won, they therefore have a good bench? Lol.

    I don't care if he sweeps today. His reasoning is not square (which would at least be 'public'-esque), it's ludicrous.

    Over the long term, this type of 'capping' makes your picks somewhat if not completely random. And that means he will almost certainly not get over the break-even percentage.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ_Iz_Here:

    Scal * scam same difference. Great break down on this game pal hahahaha


    I didn't break down the game at all. Where did I break down the game?

    I broke down his basis for playing the game which of course, made little sense.

    I said the EXACT same thing about the Clippers bench while the game was tied. I didn't care whether he won or lost. Because the Clippers won, they therefore have a good bench? Lol.

    I don't care if he sweeps today. His reasoning is not square (which would at least be 'public'-esque), it's ludicrous.

    Over the long term, this type of 'capping' makes your picks somewhat if not completely random. And that means he will almost certainly not get over the break-even percentage.
     
    KennyWoo
    KennyWoo
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2005
    Posts: 2510
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:41 PM ET #5929

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    It sure seems like the calendar is the number one factor to what games he selects.

    The combination of day and starting times is at the top of the decision tree.

    "Pick a game at noon, pick a game at 2:30.  At 3pm see where I am for the day and pick games accordingly."


    Exactly. 

    When I'm in Vegas playing horses, sometimes my friend and I will decide to get down on a basketball game or a baseball game or whatever.  We will be picking a game that is at a time we want to watch it and which is on television.  This usually means only one or two games to pick from.  We recognize this is not a good play and is only done for "action."  In this regard it is completely different from when I was playing baseball on Matchbook and seriously trying to make a profit.  It's solely an action play for entertainment purposes.  If the bet is $100, my expected loss is a few dollars and we are happy to pay the surcharge as a cost of entertainment. Does this sound like a "pro" to you?

    CG plays only big conference stuff and seems always to be some games early on the card to "fill his time."  And then hopes to win so he can bet more.  This is not a "pro" mentality.

    CG: You have one thing going for you - you pick games at a high percentage!  If you apply focus and discipline, etc. you have a shot at being a pro.  But you have to think "pro" to win like a "pro"!  I understand you are learning on the job and you'll be better at this in a few months... but first you have to last a few months!

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    It sure seems like the calendar is the number one factor to what games he selects.

    The combination of day and starting times is at the top of the decision tree.

    "Pick a game at noon, pick a game at 2:30.  At 3pm see where I am for the day and pick games accordingly."


    Exactly. 

    When I'm in Vegas playing horses, sometimes my friend and I will decide to get down on a basketball game or a baseball game or whatever.  We will be picking a game that is at a time we want to watch it and which is on television.  This usually means only one or two games to pick from.  We recognize this is not a good play and is only done for "action."  In this regard it is completely different from when I was playing baseball on Matchbook and seriously trying to make a profit.  It's solely an action play for entertainment purposes.  If the bet is $100, my expected loss is a few dollars and we are happy to pay the surcharge as a cost of entertainment. Does this sound like a "pro" to you?

    CG plays only big conference stuff and seems always to be some games early on the card to "fill his time."  And then hopes to win so he can bet more.  This is not a "pro" mentality.

    CG: You have one thing going for you - you pick games at a high percentage!  If you apply focus and discipline, etc. you have a shot at being a pro.  But you have to think "pro" to win like a "pro"!  I understand you are learning on the job and you'll be better at this in a few months... but first you have to last a few months!

     
    RodWoman
    RodWoman
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 1472
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:43 PM ET #5930

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    I wrote that I expect a 1-1 day between these two bets. Whether you win early or late is irrelevant.

    This is actually the first time in several days you will not be in a hole to start the day.
    What you "expect" and what actually happens are usually not the same thing.  So the kid is in good shape this afternoon.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    I wrote that I expect a 1-1 day between these two bets. Whether you win early or late is irrelevant.

    This is actually the first time in several days you will not be in a hole to start the day.
    What you "expect" and what actually happens are usually not the same thing.  So the kid is in good shape this afternoon.
     
    Ballerholic
    Ballerholic
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2013
    Posts: 145
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:47 PM ET #5931

    Quote Originally Posted by Laroja:


    You need a new hobby.

    Everybody has their own interpretation of it. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Laroja:


    You need a new hobby.

    Everybody has their own interpretation of it. 
     
    mbialowas
    mbialowas
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 4681
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:48 PM ET #5932

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    CG, 

    I don't know what you are doing with your time but the capping of these games is horrendous. This has been a consistent theme lately. And I'm the only guy here picking them apart. 

    You are picking the Wolverines because of:

    1) Pride
    2) Illini shoot 41% 

    Let's look at #1. The Wolverines were such a proud team this year they went and put their home fans through the WORST LOSS in the history of their program to a school you should know quite well: The New Jersey Institute of Technology. Yes, a tech school beat them at home! They in some ways are like their football program that suffered through their worst season ever.

    I don't see pride as their alleged strong suit.

    Let's look at #2.

    Yes, the Illini shoot 41%. 41.8% in fact.

    But guess what Michigan shoots? 42%!

    So how are either of these things a strong point to back Mich?

    The 4 points is nice but your reasoning is outrageously flawed.


    UNC? They are a TOUGH OUT after getting swept by Duke and desperately want a rematch. And you basically get a little over a ML to knock them off.

    I see a 1-1 day at best with the Erosion of the Bankroll Via Vig continuing. 




    Good call you square mush. That's why you suck at capping, CG saw this as a sharp play,  too bad you didn't 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    CG, 

    I don't know what you are doing with your time but the capping of these games is horrendous. This has been a consistent theme lately. And I'm the only guy here picking them apart. 

    You are picking the Wolverines because of:

    1) Pride
    2) Illini shoot 41% 

    Let's look at #1. The Wolverines were such a proud team this year they went and put their home fans through the WORST LOSS in the history of their program to a school you should know quite well: The New Jersey Institute of Technology. Yes, a tech school beat them at home! They in some ways are like their football program that suffered through their worst season ever.

    I don't see pride as their alleged strong suit.

    Let's look at #2.

    Yes, the Illini shoot 41%. 41.8% in fact.

    But guess what Michigan shoots? 42%!

    So how are either of these things a strong point to back Mich?

    The 4 points is nice but your reasoning is outrageously flawed.


    UNC? They are a TOUGH OUT after getting swept by Duke and desperately want a rematch. And you basically get a little over a ML to knock them off.

    I see a 1-1 day at best with the Erosion of the Bankroll Via Vig continuing. 




    Good call you square mush. That's why you suck at capping, CG saw this as a sharp play,  too bad you didn't 
     
    Bermax
    Bermax
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 239
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:50 PM ET #5933

    Guys, which is the best livescore app on Android for following us sports including college so I can CG stalk. I've got yahoo sports installed and it's decent but what is your favorite?
    Reply
    Guys, which is the best livescore app on Android for following us sports including college so I can CG stalk. I've got yahoo sports installed and it's decent but what is your favorite?
     
    wizardofroz
    wizardofroz
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2004
    Posts: 6768
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:50 PM ET #5934

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballerholic:

    How do winners pay vig?



    It is true.  ONLY WINNERS pay the vigorish.  Losers NEVER do.  
    Here is the simple explanation, taken from another site:

    You make a bet with a friend for $110, who does NOT charge you the vig.  You win, you win $110.

    You make a bet with a standard bookie, also for $110.  You win, you win $100.

    I will add this as an example:  I am a BOOKIE at a bar.  If you both handed me $110 before the game started on opposite teams, then I would have $220 sitting on the table.  After the game, out of the $220, I would give the winner $210.

    Now, let's say I am being nice for ONE bet, after taking so much vigorish from the winner.  I say on the next $110 bet, I will take NO JUICE.  So the losing ticket loses his $110 as usual (with or without juice), but the winner now gets back the full $110 he risked.    
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballerholic:

    How do winners pay vig?



    It is true.  ONLY WINNERS pay the vigorish.  Losers NEVER do.  
    Here is the simple explanation, taken from another site:

    You make a bet with a friend for $110, who does NOT charge you the vig.  You win, you win $110.

    You make a bet with a standard bookie, also for $110.  You win, you win $100.

    I will add this as an example:  I am a BOOKIE at a bar.  If you both handed me $110 before the game started on opposite teams, then I would have $220 sitting on the table.  After the game, out of the $220, I would give the winner $210.

    Now, let's say I am being nice for ONE bet, after taking so much vigorish from the winner.  I say on the next $110 bet, I will take NO JUICE.  So the losing ticket loses his $110 as usual (with or without juice), but the winner now gets back the full $110 he risked.    
     
    mbialowas
    mbialowas
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 4681
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:53 PM ET #5935

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Don't misunderstand my questions for being argumentative.  They are not intended that way.

    I do think your tax advisor is extremely misinformed.

    Making money overseas as an American is extremely common.  And certainly not illegal.  And you are required to declare your income, regardless of source country.  It is as simple as that.  I would be very surprised that anybody advising on tax issues would say anything differently - that's why I asked you for clarification.


    I dont think it had to do with foreign income, but more about me not having an actual foreign address.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Don't misunderstand my questions for being argumentative.  They are not intended that way.

    I do think your tax advisor is extremely misinformed.

    Making money overseas as an American is extremely common.  And certainly not illegal.  And you are required to declare your income, regardless of source country.  It is as simple as that.  I would be very surprised that anybody advising on tax issues would say anything differently - that's why I asked you for clarification.


    I dont think it had to do with foreign income, but more about me not having an actual foreign address.
     
    BWS77
    BWS77
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 35351
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:54 PM ET #5936

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:



    I didn't break down the game at all. Where did I break down the game?

    I broke down his basis for playing the game which of course, made little sense.

    I said the EXACT same thing about the Clippers bench while the game was tied. I didn't care whether he won or lost. Because the Clippers won, they therefore have a good bench? Lol.

    I don't care if he sweeps today. His reasoning is not square (which would at least be 'public'-esque), it's ludicrous.

    Over the long term, this type of 'capping' makes your picks somewhat if not completely random. And that means he will almost certainly not get over the break-even percentage.

    And his complete basis for picking this game was not posted, so once again you are here wasting space.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:



    I didn't break down the game at all. Where did I break down the game?

    I broke down his basis for playing the game which of course, made little sense.

    I said the EXACT same thing about the Clippers bench while the game was tied. I didn't care whether he won or lost. Because the Clippers won, they therefore have a good bench? Lol.

    I don't care if he sweeps today. His reasoning is not square (which would at least be 'public'-esque), it's ludicrous.

    Over the long term, this type of 'capping' makes your picks somewhat if not completely random. And that means he will almost certainly not get over the break-even percentage.

    And his complete basis for picking this game was not posted, so once again you are here wasting space.
     
    mbialowas
    mbialowas
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 4681
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 1:57 PM ET #5937

    Quote Originally Posted by BWS77:


    And his complete basis for picking this game was not posted, so once again you are here wasting space.
     


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by BWS77:


    And his complete basis for picking this game was not posted, so once again you are here wasting space.
     


     
    Lowvig
    Lowvig
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2014
    Posts: 13
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:06 PM ET #5938

    I've said before, it's hard for a zebra to change his stripes. Makes me wonder where CG's 30k came from...maybe Mommy and Daddy? Did he really save all that from working? Did he really make that much from gambling? Why does his family seem so suffocating and clinging...do they coddle him and give him money? Did CG have so much more discipline and better money management when he was an "amateur"? Either way it doesn't matter...he is far from a "pro" and when he has to go back home he's so spoiled he can always get another hand-out from his Mommy and Daddy
    Reply
    I've said before, it's hard for a zebra to change his stripes. Makes me wonder where CG's 30k came from...maybe Mommy and Daddy? Did he really save all that from working? Did he really make that much from gambling? Why does his family seem so suffocating and clinging...do they coddle him and give him money? Did CG have so much more discipline and better money management when he was an "amateur"? Either way it doesn't matter...he is far from a "pro" and when he has to go back home he's so spoiled he can always get another hand-out from his Mommy and Daddy
     
    Bluefin
    Bluefin
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2006
    Posts: 8485
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:09 PM ET #5939

    Quote Originally Posted by wizardofroz:


    It is true.  ONLY WINNERS pay the vigorish.  Losers NEVER do.  
    Here is the simple explanation, taken from another site:

    You make a bet with a friend for $110, who does NOT charge you the vig.  You win, you win $110.

    You make a bet with a standard bookie, also for $110.  You win, you win $100.

    I will add this as an example:  I am a BOOKIE at a bar.  If you both handed me $110 before the game started on opposite teams, then I would have $220 sitting on the table.  After the game, out of the $220, I would give the winner $210.

    Now, let's say I am being nice for ONE bet, after taking so much vigorish from the winner.  I say on the next $110 bet, I will take NO JUICE.  So the losing ticket loses his $110 as usual (with or without juice), but the winner now gets back the full $110 he risked.    

    Oh boy semantics, every bet is won there are no losing tickets make the same argument without the losing ticket.Yes in theory ROI is obviously 5% on cashed plays

    Van violation is Rico Act if you establish a residence for the purpose of evading an existing US law you are continuing a criminal enterprise that is why cash into the country from outside is issue with offshore books. If you do not maintain occupancy for a certain period of time you are not a resident.If you are not a resident in residency then you are evading US law by being a US resident and maintaining a residence outside the US for the express purpose of evading an existing US law. Anyway I believe it's some such nonsense.Its all about the money. Bitcoin solves this issue completely. 

    Part of the reason also why many guys who gamble and win have a lot of associates.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardofroz:


    It is true.  ONLY WINNERS pay the vigorish.  Losers NEVER do.  
    Here is the simple explanation, taken from another site:

    You make a bet with a friend for $110, who does NOT charge you the vig.  You win, you win $110.

    You make a bet with a standard bookie, also for $110.  You win, you win $100.

    I will add this as an example:  I am a BOOKIE at a bar.  If you both handed me $110 before the game started on opposite teams, then I would have $220 sitting on the table.  After the game, out of the $220, I would give the winner $210.

    Now, let's say I am being nice for ONE bet, after taking so much vigorish from the winner.  I say on the next $110 bet, I will take NO JUICE.  So the losing ticket loses his $110 as usual (with or without juice), but the winner now gets back the full $110 he risked.    

    Oh boy semantics, every bet is won there are no losing tickets make the same argument without the losing ticket.Yes in theory ROI is obviously 5% on cashed plays

    Van violation is Rico Act if you establish a residence for the purpose of evading an existing US law you are continuing a criminal enterprise that is why cash into the country from outside is issue with offshore books. If you do not maintain occupancy for a certain period of time you are not a resident.If you are not a resident in residency then you are evading US law by being a US resident and maintaining a residence outside the US for the express purpose of evading an existing US law. Anyway I believe it's some such nonsense.Its all about the money. Bitcoin solves this issue completely. 

    Part of the reason also why many guys who gamble and win have a lot of associates.
     
    wizardofroz
    wizardofroz
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2004
    Posts: 6768
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:10 PM ET #5940

    Not to belabor my earlier point about WINNERS only paying the vig, but 2 buddies at a bar lay $100 on a bet with no middle man (bookie), then the winner collects $200 after the game is over, and the loser only loses his $100 as usual.

    Now involve a bookie at 10% in the SAME scenario.  When the game is over, he asks the bartender to make change (coins and all), and gives the winner his $100 back, plus $90.91, for a total of $190.91, while the bookie pockets the difference of $9.09.

    The loser always loses the $100, with or without a bookie being present.   
    Reply
    Not to belabor my earlier point about WINNERS only paying the vig, but 2 buddies at a bar lay $100 on a bet with no middle man (bookie), then the winner collects $200 after the game is over, and the loser only loses his $100 as usual.

    Now involve a bookie at 10% in the SAME scenario.  When the game is over, he asks the bartender to make change (coins and all), and gives the winner his $100 back, plus $90.91, for a total of $190.91, while the bookie pockets the difference of $9.09.

    The loser always loses the $100, with or without a bookie being present.   
     
    Laroja
    Laroja
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2010
    Posts: 12241
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:12 PM ET #5941

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowvig:

    I've said before, it's hard for a zebra to change his stripes. Makes me wonder where CG's 30k came from...maybe Mommy and Daddy? Did he really save all that from working? Did he really make that much from gambling? Why does his family seem so suffocating and clinging...do they coddle him and give him money? Did CG have so much more discipline and better money management when he was an "amateur"? Either way it doesn't matter...he is far from a "pro" and when he has to go back home he's so spoiled he can always get another hand-out from his Mommy and Daddy

    Unsolved mysteries. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowvig:

    I've said before, it's hard for a zebra to change his stripes. Makes me wonder where CG's 30k came from...maybe Mommy and Daddy? Did he really save all that from working? Did he really make that much from gambling? Why does his family seem so suffocating and clinging...do they coddle him and give him money? Did CG have so much more discipline and better money management when he was an "amateur"? Either way it doesn't matter...he is far from a "pro" and when he has to go back home he's so spoiled he can always get another hand-out from his Mommy and Daddy

    Unsolved mysteries. 
     
    wizardofroz
    wizardofroz
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2004
    Posts: 6768
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:16 PM ET #5942

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin:


    Oh boy semantics, every bet is won there are no losing tickets make the same argument without the losing ticket.Yes in theory ROI is obviously 5% on cashed plays

    Van violation is Rico Act if you establish a residence for the purpose of evading an existing US law you are continuing a criminal enterprise that is why cash into the country from outside is issue with offshore books. If you do not maintain occupancy for a certain period of time you are not a resident.If you are not a resident in residency then you are evading US law by being a US resident and maintaining a residence outside the US for the express purpose of evading an existing US law. Anyway I believe it's some such nonsense.Its all about the money. Bitcoin solves this issue completely. 

    Part of the reason also why many guys who gamble and win have a lot of associates.

     That makes NO sense.  It has NOTHING to do with semantics, being that losers NEVER pay juice, regardless how high the juice may be.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin:


    Oh boy semantics, every bet is won there are no losing tickets make the same argument without the losing ticket.Yes in theory ROI is obviously 5% on cashed plays

    Van violation is Rico Act if you establish a residence for the purpose of evading an existing US law you are continuing a criminal enterprise that is why cash into the country from outside is issue with offshore books. If you do not maintain occupancy for a certain period of time you are not a resident.If you are not a resident in residency then you are evading US law by being a US resident and maintaining a residence outside the US for the express purpose of evading an existing US law. Anyway I believe it's some such nonsense.Its all about the money. Bitcoin solves this issue completely. 

    Part of the reason also why many guys who gamble and win have a lot of associates.

     That makes NO sense.  It has NOTHING to do with semantics, being that losers NEVER pay juice, regardless how high the juice may be.  
     
    Laroja
    Laroja
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2010
    Posts: 12241
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:24 PM ET #5943

    Quote Originally Posted by wizardofroz:


     That makes NO sense.  It has NOTHING to do with semantics, being that losers NEVER pay juice, regardless how high the juice may be.  

    Dude just ignore Bluefin, he's either a troll or a retard. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardofroz:


     That makes NO sense.  It has NOTHING to do with semantics, being that losers NEVER pay juice, regardless how high the juice may be.  

    Dude just ignore Bluefin, he's either a troll or a retard. 
     
    wizardofroz
    wizardofroz
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2004
    Posts: 6768
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:24 PM ET #5944

    Anyone care to do the numbers on College Gambler's record when taking underdogs?  Even with the Sacramento loss versus Atlanta (amount of bet notwithstanding), his PERCENTAGE of underdog winners seems to be rather high.
    Reply
    Anyone care to do the numbers on College Gambler's record when taking underdogs?  Even with the Sacramento loss versus Atlanta (amount of bet notwithstanding), his PERCENTAGE of underdog winners seems to be rather high.
     
    smarterthanyou
    smarterthanyou
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2014
    Posts: 2341
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:27 PM ET #5945

    what's MOST amazing in the last 10 pages is how many disputes there are over who pays the juice, and how much they pay.  

    all this from bettors who supposedly should know all this early on.

    amazing--and sad.
    Reply
    what's MOST amazing in the last 10 pages is how many disputes there are over who pays the juice, and how much they pay.  

    all this from bettors who supposedly should know all this early on.

    amazing--and sad.
     
    thorpe
    thorpe
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 12927
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:30 PM ET #5946

    Quote Originally Posted by wizardofroz:

    Not to belabor my earlier point about WINNERS only paying the vig, but 2 buddies at a bar lay $100 on a bet with no middle man (bookie), then the winner collects $200 after the game is over, and the loser only loses his $100 as usual.

    Now involve a bookie at 10% in the SAME scenario.  When the game is over, he asks the bartender to make change (coins and all), and gives the winner his $100 back, plus $90.91, for a total of $190.91, while the bookie pockets the difference of $9.09.

    The loser always loses the $100, with or without a bookie being present.   


    He loses 100, but   he lost 91 on the bet and 9 to the juice.  It makes no difference to his bankroll, but juice is paid on every wager that isn't a push.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardofroz:

    Not to belabor my earlier point about WINNERS only paying the vig, but 2 buddies at a bar lay $100 on a bet with no middle man (bookie), then the winner collects $200 after the game is over, and the loser only loses his $100 as usual.

    Now involve a bookie at 10% in the SAME scenario.  When the game is over, he asks the bartender to make change (coins and all), and gives the winner his $100 back, plus $90.91, for a total of $190.91, while the bookie pockets the difference of $9.09.

    The loser always loses the $100, with or without a bookie being present.   


    He loses 100, but   he lost 91 on the bet and 9 to the juice.  It makes no difference to his bankroll, but juice is paid on every wager that isn't a push.
     
    Ultimate5
    Ultimate5
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 760
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:33 PM ET #5947

    good call on Mich, but you're trying to be too sharp by taking Louisville..carolina wins easy here man and you lose the juice. Be more selective
    Reply
    good call on Mich, but you're trying to be too sharp by taking Louisville..carolina wins easy here man and you lose the juice. Be more selective
     
    Bluefin
    Bluefin
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2006
    Posts: 8485
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:37 PM ET #5948

    Lets presume I'm a book if I have two guys and the bet opposite sides The perspective vig is 10%. One guy loses he give me 110. He did not give me a dime to start. The other guy wins I give him 100 he also did not give me a dime. My 10% comes from the guy who lost the wager.
    Reply
    Lets presume I'm a book if I have two guys and the bet opposite sides The perspective vig is 10%. One guy loses he give me 110. He did not give me a dime to start. The other guy wins I give him 100 he also did not give me a dime. My 10% comes from the guy who lost the wager.
     
    tsw
    tsw
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 12677
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:41 PM ET #5949

    Quote Originally Posted by Bermax:

    Guys, which is the best livescore app on Android for following us sports including college so I can CG stalk. I've got yahoo sports installed and it's decent but what is your favorite?

    ESPN app is awful, I don't know what's better than the yahoo app. I have it but don't really use it- I mainly just use ESPN on the web.  Could try cbssports app I guess.


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Bermax:

    Guys, which is the best livescore app on Android for following us sports including college so I can CG stalk. I've got yahoo sports installed and it's decent but what is your favorite?

    ESPN app is awful, I don't know what's better than the yahoo app. I have it but don't really use it- I mainly just use ESPN on the web.  Could try cbssports app I guess.


     
     
    Bermax
    Bermax
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 239
    Posted: Mar. 12, 2015 - 2:42 PM ET #5950

    I think the widespread problems understanding the concept of who pays the vig is inherit in the US odds system, where you are expressing the amount you have to stake in order to win a set amount, 100 units. It's not transparent and it's not very easy to keep your head straight when you're primarily always adjusting the stake in your mind. -110 = 1.91 in decimal odds and -105 = 1.95 (rounded some). I then immediately see that if I place a wager of 1 unit where the juice is lower and win, my net profit is 0.95 units. At the higher juice my net profit is only 0.91 units. When the bet loses the juice is (as thoroughly exhausted in the thread by now) irrelevant, 1 unit was the bet and that's of course the loss regardless of juice. Very easy to see using decimal, you should try it. It's also spreadsheet friendly since that's the normal way of doing math and expressing numbers. In school you learned that 6/4 = 1.25, not -400, right?
    Reply
    I think the widespread problems understanding the concept of who pays the vig is inherit in the US odds system, where you are expressing the amount you have to stake in order to win a set amount, 100 units. It's not transparent and it's not very easy to keep your head straight when you're primarily always adjusting the stake in your mind. -110 = 1.91 in decimal odds and -105 = 1.95 (rounded some). I then immediately see that if I place a wager of 1 unit where the juice is lower and win, my net profit is 0.95 units. At the higher juice my net profit is only 0.91 units. When the bet loses the juice is (as thoroughly exhausted in the thread by now) irrelevant, 1 unit was the bet and that's of course the loss regardless of juice. Very easy to see using decimal, you should try it. It's also spreadsheet friendly since that's the normal way of doing math and expressing numbers. In school you learned that 6/4 = 1.25, not -400, right?
    All Forums | The Archives
    «First Previous 238239240 ... 567568569 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 457,555
    • Monday 10/05/2026 683
    • Serious Streak Survivor Strategies 1,918,273
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,714
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 104,619
    • ***Macwesties * Sun. Oct. 04, 2026 * Week #4 * NFL Football Plays*** 9,562
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,566
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,323
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 17,317
    • MNF - saints is dead 2,849

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.