• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Eagles-Jaguars Leans
      • NFL Week 5 Odds
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Thoughts That Come To You

    «First Previous 101112 ... 212223 Next Last»
    Daddy_Freddie
    Midnight1
    StumpTownStu
    trainwreck66
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 2296
    Posts: 571
    «First Previous 101112 ... 212223 Next Last»
     
    Daddy_Freddie
    Daddy_Freddie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1916
    Posted: Dec. 16, 2024 - 10:52 PM ET #226

    Just started chapter 4 of the book Born on The Fourth of July by Ron Kovic. Once you get started, it's difficult to put the book down

    Reply

    Just started chapter 4 of the book Born on The Fourth of July by Ron Kovic. Once you get started, it's difficult to put the book down

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 17, 2024 - 7:22 PM ET #227

    Do your kids/grandchildren know how & when to call 911? If not, sit down & teach them!

    Do they know their home address? If not, have them memorize it & repeat it back to you often.

    This knowledge could help someone in danger.

    peace_5 

    Reply

    Do your kids/grandchildren know how & when to call 911? If not, sit down & teach them!

    Do they know their home address? If not, have them memorize it & repeat it back to you often.

    This knowledge could help someone in danger.

    peace_5 

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 17, 2024 - 7:54 PM ET #228

    What is the first major news story you remember as a child?

    For me, it was the death of JFK

    an_popcorn 

    Reply

    What is the first major news story you remember as a child?

    For me, it was the death of JFK

    an_popcorn 

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Dec. 17, 2024 - 11:16 PM ET #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    What is the first major news story you remember as a child? For me, it was the death of JFK

    I remember the charitable fundraising song "We Are the World" coming out. I was literally like three. In a weird way, I understood what it was about. That it was for a cause.

    I remember both the Challenger and Chernobyl, both of which happened before my fourth birthday. I understood the Challenger Explosion. Not so much Chernobyl. I thought it was to do with War. A bombing. I remember both stories though.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    What is the first major news story you remember as a child? For me, it was the death of JFK

    I remember the charitable fundraising song "We Are the World" coming out. I was literally like three. In a weird way, I understood what it was about. That it was for a cause.

    I remember both the Challenger and Chernobyl, both of which happened before my fourth birthday. I understood the Challenger Explosion. Not so much Chernobyl. I thought it was to do with War. A bombing. I remember both stories though.

     
    Daddy_Freddie
    Daddy_Freddie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1916
    Posted: Dec. 18, 2024 - 1:33 PM ET #230

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    What is the first major news story you remember as a child? For me, it was the death of JFK

    This dates me but oh well. It was the story of the Patty Hearst kidnapping, by the Symbionese Liberation Army. (SLA for short) led by that hardened criminal Donald DeFreeze and his radical following who wanted to incite "Guerilla Warfare" against the United States Government (J6 WAY before it's time) 

    It's ironic that this is the first "major" news story I remember considering that in my lifetime there was 

    1) The resignation and later pardoning of President Richard Nixon

    2) The OPEC energy crisis 

    3) The uprising of Ayatollah Khomeini and the Iranian Hostage Situation

    4) Ida Amin and all the issues there was with him  

    5) Two assassination attempts made on US Presidents (Ford and Reagan) 

    These are just five that come to mind 

     

     

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    What is the first major news story you remember as a child? For me, it was the death of JFK

    This dates me but oh well. It was the story of the Patty Hearst kidnapping, by the Symbionese Liberation Army. (SLA for short) led by that hardened criminal Donald DeFreeze and his radical following who wanted to incite "Guerilla Warfare" against the United States Government (J6 WAY before it's time) 

    It's ironic that this is the first "major" news story I remember considering that in my lifetime there was 

    1) The resignation and later pardoning of President Richard Nixon

    2) The OPEC energy crisis 

    3) The uprising of Ayatollah Khomeini and the Iranian Hostage Situation

    4) Ida Amin and all the issues there was with him  

    5) Two assassination attempts made on US Presidents (Ford and Reagan) 

    These are just five that come to mind 

     

     

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Dec. 18, 2024 - 4:37 PM ET #231

    What's you guys' go-to species? Growing up, for the early part of my life, we always had Douglass Firs. Then at some point I guess we got bourgeois because we begin to have all Noble Firs, which are more expensive. I don't think I have ever purchased a Doug Fir myself. I have always bought Nobles. Two of my last three trees have been Nordmanns. Nordmanns are quite beautiful trees but the lack that Christmas tree smell I so covet. For the past five or six years I have searched area lots/farms for the blue spruce, which is and an absolutely beautiful tree but the are native to the Rockies. Amd when you live in the Northwest, it doesn't make since to bring in trees from out of state. I typically buy my trees from actual tree farms and most folks grow Dougs, Nobles, and Nordmanns.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    What's you guys' go-to species? Growing up, for the early part of my life, we always had Douglass Firs. Then at some point I guess we got bourgeois because we begin to have all Noble Firs, which are more expensive. I don't think I have ever purchased a Doug Fir myself. I have always bought Nobles. Two of my last three trees have been Nordmanns. Nordmanns are quite beautiful trees but the lack that Christmas tree smell I so covet. For the past five or six years I have searched area lots/farms for the blue spruce, which is and an absolutely beautiful tree but the are native to the Rockies. Amd when you live in the Northwest, it doesn't make since to bring in trees from out of state. I typically buy my trees from actual tree farms and most folks grow Dougs, Nobles, and Nordmanns.

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Dec. 18, 2024 - 4:48 PM ET #232

    And do you guys do a water tree stand? My tree this year just doesn't want to drink. It's given up on life. Pretty disappointing.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    And do you guys do a water tree stand? My tree this year just doesn't want to drink. It's given up on life. Pretty disappointing.

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 18, 2024 - 6:21 PM ET #233

    @StumpTownStu

     Did you cut a half inch off the trunk?

    We have good luck with that process.

     

    Reply

    @StumpTownStu

     Did you cut a half inch off the trunk?

    We have good luck with that process.

     

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 18, 2024 - 8:06 PM ET #234

    Did you add a little sugar to the water?

     

    Reply

    Did you add a little sugar to the water?

     

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Dec. 18, 2024 - 9:14 PM ET #235

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    @StumpTownStu  Did you cut a half inch off the trunk? We have good luck with that process.

    Of course I did. I buy trees from local farms. There are several, tons even, within a 5-10 minute drive radius. I cut that thing down myself and carried it few hundred yards through the muck. It's just the tree itself. Every plant responds differently to stress. I gave it a second cut even though I only live a few minutes from the farm. It probably didn't much care for that. Likewise, it might not like the warm house. Some trees respond to it and like the warmth. Others don't. It's like getting a husky but you live in Mobile, Alabama. Sure the dog will adapt if he doesn't know better but the first time he experiences snow he's gonna realize what he's been missing and not want to come inside. 

    My aunt and uncle once planted their tree in their front yard up in Lake Tahoe. The thing hadn't even been in water. Just nailed to an old school wooden t stand. Botanist will tell you this is pointless. That they are done for after being cut from their root ball yet science be damned, that thing took root and grew. You can still see it on Google Earth. Every plant is it's own individual and they all respond to stress differently. This one just went into shock and didn't recover.

    You can literally turn a female weed plant into a hermaphrodite by stressing it out.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    @StumpTownStu  Did you cut a half inch off the trunk? We have good luck with that process.

    Of course I did. I buy trees from local farms. There are several, tons even, within a 5-10 minute drive radius. I cut that thing down myself and carried it few hundred yards through the muck. It's just the tree itself. Every plant responds differently to stress. I gave it a second cut even though I only live a few minutes from the farm. It probably didn't much care for that. Likewise, it might not like the warm house. Some trees respond to it and like the warmth. Others don't. It's like getting a husky but you live in Mobile, Alabama. Sure the dog will adapt if he doesn't know better but the first time he experiences snow he's gonna realize what he's been missing and not want to come inside. 

    My aunt and uncle once planted their tree in their front yard up in Lake Tahoe. The thing hadn't even been in water. Just nailed to an old school wooden t stand. Botanist will tell you this is pointless. That they are done for after being cut from their root ball yet science be damned, that thing took root and grew. You can still see it on Google Earth. Every plant is it's own individual and they all respond to stress differently. This one just went into shock and didn't recover.

    You can literally turn a female weed plant into a hermaphrodite by stressing it out.

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 18, 2024 - 10:52 PM ET #236

    @StumpTownStu

     Maybe you should stop singing to it.

     

    Reply

    @StumpTownStu

     Maybe you should stop singing to it.

     

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 18, 2024 - 10:59 PM ET #237

    "The problem in the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubt and the stupid ones are full of confidence." Charles Bukowski

    thumbs_up

    Reply

    "The problem in the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubt and the stupid ones are full of confidence." Charles Bukowski

    thumbs_up

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Dec. 18, 2024 - 11:31 PM ET #238

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    @StumpTownStu  Maybe you should stop singing to it.

    How dare you!? Trees love my singing. Trees and my cocker spaniel. No one else. My wife appreciates it, in spite of in. I'm good at a lot of things but singing is definitely not one of them.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    @StumpTownStu  Maybe you should stop singing to it.

    How dare you!? Trees love my singing. Trees and my cocker spaniel. No one else. My wife appreciates it, in spite of in. I'm good at a lot of things but singing is definitely not one of them.

     
    Daddy_Freddie
    Daddy_Freddie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1916
    Posted: Dec. 19, 2024 - 10:23 AM ET #239

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    "The problem in the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubt and the stupid ones are full of confidence." Charles Bukowski

     

    Six of one...a half dozen of the other 

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    "The problem in the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubt and the stupid ones are full of confidence." Charles Bukowski

     

    Six of one...a half dozen of the other 

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 21, 2024 - 6:22 PM ET #240

    Dropped off Christmas presents at the fire department this morning & thought...

    We never had anything like this when I was growing up. 

    Our gifts came from Santa, Mom & POPS & an aunt.

    There was no such things as gifts from the community back in the 70's.

    confused

    Reply

    Dropped off Christmas presents at the fire department this morning & thought...

    We never had anything like this when I was growing up. 

    Our gifts came from Santa, Mom & POPS & an aunt.

    There was no such things as gifts from the community back in the 70's.

    confused

     
    Daddy_Freddie
    Daddy_Freddie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1916
    Posted: Dec. 21, 2024 - 7:15 PM ET #241

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    Dropped off Christmas presents at the fire department this morning & thought... We never had anything like this when I was growing up.  Our gifts came from Santa, Mom & POPS & an aunt. There was no such things as gifts from the community back in the 70's.

    There probably were gifts from the community, just not on the same scale there is today. As a youngster I never really seen people appreciate the fire departments and EMT's as much as they do now. 

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    Dropped off Christmas presents at the fire department this morning & thought... We never had anything like this when I was growing up.  Our gifts came from Santa, Mom & POPS & an aunt. There was no such things as gifts from the community back in the 70's.

    There probably were gifts from the community, just not on the same scale there is today. As a youngster I never really seen people appreciate the fire departments and EMT's as much as they do now. 

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Dec. 22, 2024 - 10:05 PM ET #242

    @Midnight1

     I have donated toys in some fashion, since I was 19. When I still lived in California, we had a few different drop off but one was my very own tradition and that was the drop off at Lefty O'doul's, a hof-brau and pub started by the baseball player in the 50's.  I have always loved a hof-brau and discovered Lefty's when I started working in the city. The cool thing about Lefty's toy drive was that you could drop of toys even on Christmas eve. Lefty's was an institution. I donated for the last time in 2016 even though I had technically moved earlier in the year, i'm still always in the Bay on business. Sadly Lefty's closed a few months later in early 2017. Priced out by rising SF prices. Up here, almost all the toy drives are connected save for the one-off individual drives that might be connected tona church, community center, etc. You can donate at Fred Meyer, which is s major grocery store chain. Les Schwaab tires, fire departments, and a host of other spots. It's all part of one big drive.

    As far as the 70s, I can't speak to that, but in the 80s and 90s there was a old woman named Mother Wright. And I swear, Mother Wright would give a toy to every child in Oakland. Oakland is a fairly decent sized city. Over 300K in those days. I grew up in the hood but my household, my upbringing, was fairly middle-class. I had some pretty insane Christmases growing up. My parents went above and beyond. And even I still appreciated that Mother Wright toy. For some of the kids I grew up with though, the only toy they may have received some years was that Mother Wright toy. Oakland has seen a lot of transplants in the last 20 years but real ones know, Mother Wright is Oakland lore. I know she must be resting in peace.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    @Midnight1

     I have donated toys in some fashion, since I was 19. When I still lived in California, we had a few different drop off but one was my very own tradition and that was the drop off at Lefty O'doul's, a hof-brau and pub started by the baseball player in the 50's.  I have always loved a hof-brau and discovered Lefty's when I started working in the city. The cool thing about Lefty's toy drive was that you could drop of toys even on Christmas eve. Lefty's was an institution. I donated for the last time in 2016 even though I had technically moved earlier in the year, i'm still always in the Bay on business. Sadly Lefty's closed a few months later in early 2017. Priced out by rising SF prices. Up here, almost all the toy drives are connected save for the one-off individual drives that might be connected tona church, community center, etc. You can donate at Fred Meyer, which is s major grocery store chain. Les Schwaab tires, fire departments, and a host of other spots. It's all part of one big drive.

    As far as the 70s, I can't speak to that, but in the 80s and 90s there was a old woman named Mother Wright. And I swear, Mother Wright would give a toy to every child in Oakland. Oakland is a fairly decent sized city. Over 300K in those days. I grew up in the hood but my household, my upbringing, was fairly middle-class. I had some pretty insane Christmases growing up. My parents went above and beyond. And even I still appreciated that Mother Wright toy. For some of the kids I grew up with though, the only toy they may have received some years was that Mother Wright toy. Oakland has seen a lot of transplants in the last 20 years but real ones know, Mother Wright is Oakland lore. I know she must be resting in peace.

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 22, 2024 - 10:43 PM ET #243

    @StumpTownStu

     A week before Christmas, my Pops would take me & my little sister up to the rail yards where they had hundreds of trees. Pops would buy a tree that we could afford & our job was to pick up branches that were on the ground. We would bring all of that home.

    Once in the stand, we could see how barren the tree was but Pops would drill holes in the trunk & fill them with the branches we picked off the ground. To us, our tree looked better than the one in Rockefeller Center.

    an_clap

    Reply

    @StumpTownStu

     A week before Christmas, my Pops would take me & my little sister up to the rail yards where they had hundreds of trees. Pops would buy a tree that we could afford & our job was to pick up branches that were on the ground. We would bring all of that home.

    Once in the stand, we could see how barren the tree was but Pops would drill holes in the trunk & fill them with the branches we picked off the ground. To us, our tree looked better than the one in Rockefeller Center.

    an_clap

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Dec. 22, 2024 - 11:51 PM ET #244

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    @StumpTownStu  A week before Christmas, my Pops would take me & my little sister up to the rail yards where they had hundreds of trees. Pops would buy a tree that we could afford & our job was to pick up branches that were on the ground. We would bring all of that home. Once in the stand, we could see how barren the tree was but Pops would drill holes in the trunk & fill them with the branches we picked off the ground. To us, our tree looked better than the one in Rockefeller Center.

    That is a wonderful story and glimpse into midnight childhood lore.

    peace_5

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    @StumpTownStu  A week before Christmas, my Pops would take me & my little sister up to the rail yards where they had hundreds of trees. Pops would buy a tree that we could afford & our job was to pick up branches that were on the ground. We would bring all of that home. Once in the stand, we could see how barren the tree was but Pops would drill holes in the trunk & fill them with the branches we picked off the ground. To us, our tree looked better than the one in Rockefeller Center.

    That is a wonderful story and glimpse into midnight childhood lore.

    peace_5

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 24, 2024 - 6:03 PM ET #245

    Just saw a cartoon of a Christmas stocking and a piñata sitting at a bar having a beer & the stocking says..

    "There's nothing worse than being full & hanging from a mantel."

    The piñata is stunned & says... 

    "Nothing worse???"

      

    Reply

    Just saw a cartoon of a Christmas stocking and a piñata sitting at a bar having a beer & the stocking says..

    "There's nothing worse than being full & hanging from a mantel."

    The piñata is stunned & says... 

    "Nothing worse???"

      

     
    trainwreck66
    trainwreck66
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2013
    Posts: 32543
    Posted: Dec. 24, 2024 - 6:40 PM ET #246

    @Midnight1

    Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you and yours peace_5

    Reply

    @Midnight1

    Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you and yours peace_5

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 24, 2024 - 7:54 PM ET #247

    @trainwreck66

     To you as well. Be safe & stay healthy.

    My old Aunt Betty once told me to "be good to myself."

    All these years working to be where I am today, I'm going to finally take her up on the advice. Will still worry about family & friends but it's time for Midnight & The Boss to really enjoy the rest of our lives together.

    Peace be with you train..

    peace

    Reply

    @trainwreck66

     To you as well. Be safe & stay healthy.

    My old Aunt Betty once told me to "be good to myself."

    All these years working to be where I am today, I'm going to finally take her up on the advice. Will still worry about family & friends but it's time for Midnight & The Boss to really enjoy the rest of our lives together.

    Peace be with you train..

    peace

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 26, 2024 - 7:37 PM ET #248

    Isn't it scary when you look around a room full of people & realize you are the smartest one in the room?

    confused

    Reply

    Isn't it scary when you look around a room full of people & realize you are the smartest one in the room?

    confused

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 26, 2024 - 8:48 PM ET #249

    Before my wife, I dated a girl who stole my wallet.

    I never would have known it if I hadn't gone through her purse.

     

    Reply

    Before my wife, I dated a girl who stole my wallet.

    I never would have known it if I hadn't gone through her purse.

     

     
     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Dec. 29, 2024 - 5:20 PM ET #250

    A man is getting into the shower just as his wife is finishing up her shower, when the doorbell rings. The wife quickly wraps herself in a towel and runs downstairs. When she opens the door, there stands Bob, the next-door neighbor.
    Before she says a word, Bob says, “I’ll give you $800 to drop that towel.” After thinking for a moment, the woman drops her towel and stands naked in front of Bob After a few seconds, Bob hands her $800 and leaves.

    The woman wraps back up in the towel and goes back upstairs. When she gets to the bathroom, her husband asks, “Who was that?”
    “It was Bob the next door neighbor,” she replies.
    “Great!” the husband says, “did he say anything about the $800 he owes me?”

     

    Reply

    A man is getting into the shower just as his wife is finishing up her shower, when the doorbell rings. The wife quickly wraps herself in a towel and runs downstairs. When she opens the door, there stands Bob, the next-door neighbor.
    Before she says a word, Bob says, “I’ll give you $800 to drop that towel.” After thinking for a moment, the woman drops her towel and stands naked in front of Bob After a few seconds, Bob hands her $800 and leaves.

    The woman wraps back up in the towel and goes back upstairs. When she gets to the bathroom, her husband asks, “Who was that?”
    “It was Bob the next door neighbor,” she replies.
    “Great!” the husband says, “did he say anything about the $800 he owes me?”

     

    All Forums | General Discussion
    «First Previous 101112 ... 212223 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 459,862
    • Wednesday 10/07/2026 441
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,593
    • MLB Playoffs 16,835
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 35,162
    • PART DEUX 132
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,358
    • Week 6 Money 5,417
    • Public Indicator Calculations 2026 19,236
    • Wednesday 2,836

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.