• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | FIFA World Cup

    World Cup 2018

    «First Previous 232425 ... 303132 Next Last»
    vanzack
    lordzud
    mdelvalle
    Zacreth
    taurus
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 108855
    Posts: 799
    «First Previous 232425 ... 303132 Next Last»
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2018 - 12:59 PM ET #551

    And thank you noodle, kid, monkey, vorvan, kauffee, barney, and Shango for the nice posts.

    Much appreciated.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    And thank you noodle, kid, monkey, vorvan, kauffee, barney, and Shango for the nice posts.

    Much appreciated.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2018 - 1:01 PM ET #552

    No real line movement after the line up release because it was already priced with James out.
    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    No real line movement after the line up release because it was already priced with James out.
     
    lordzud
    lordzud
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2010
    Posts: 2349
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2018 - 1:06 PM ET #553

    Thanks my man, great pick. Line movement in world cup soccer doesn't mean very much because so much of the betting comes from squares. In sports where sharp whales are a large proportion of the total bets made it means a lot more. 

    A toast to VAN 
    Reply
    Thanks my man, great pick. Line movement in world cup soccer doesn't mean very much because so much of the betting comes from squares. In sports where sharp whales are a large proportion of the total bets made it means a lot more. 

    A toast to VAN 
     
    mdelvalle
    mdelvalle
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2006
    Posts: 4312
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2018 - 1:15 PM ET #554

    MDV
    Reply
     
    Zacreth
    Zacreth
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2012
    Posts: 431
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2018 - 4:03 PM ET #555

    England to advance?
    Reply
    England to advance?
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2018 - 5:40 PM ET #556

    A little MLS throw in game tonight for those hungry for more soccer....

    Houston -.5 -102 vs LAFC

    LA just played on Sat, have several players out still at the WC (including Carlos Vela), and I think they will sit players as they have a game this weekend at home.

    Houston meanwhile hasn't played for 9 days, is at home in a nice spot - and their front 4 should run circles around LA all night.
    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    A little MLS throw in game tonight for those hungry for more soccer....

    Houston -.5 -102 vs LAFC

    LA just played on Sat, have several players out still at the WC (including Carlos Vela), and I think they will sit players as they have a game this weekend at home.

    Houston meanwhile hasn't played for 9 days, is at home in a nice spot - and their front 4 should run circles around LA all night.
     
    taurus
    taurus
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 3778
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2018 - 6:27 PM ET #557

    Thank you, mr van, for providing another winning day. I thought both games were a bit of a letdown, and I didn’t like the second game at all except for the stoppage time goal that got us the push.

    i was puzzled at the trouble Sweden had all first half executing inbounds passes. Admit I know very little about the rules of soccer and I wondered if there was some rule in certain situations that you had to pass the ball to your opponent.

    i guess we have a couple of off days then it’s on to the next round. Keep the good stuff coming. ?? ??

    Reply

    Thank you, mr van, for providing another winning day. I thought both games were a bit of a letdown, and I didn’t like the second game at all except for the stoppage time goal that got us the push.

    i was puzzled at the trouble Sweden had all first half executing inbounds passes. Admit I know very little about the rules of soccer and I wondered if there was some rule in certain situations that you had to pass the ball to your opponent.

    i guess we have a couple of off days then it’s on to the next round. Keep the good stuff coming. ?? ??

     
    taurus
    taurus
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 3778
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2018 - 6:29 PM ET #558

    I don’t know where those question marks came from. Not me, that’s for sure ?? ?? ??

    Reply

    I don’t know where those question marks came from. Not me, that’s for sure ?? ?? ??

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2018 - 7:12 PM ET #559

    Up to date through round of 16....

    OVERALL RECORD:   Up 55.775  Down 43.21

    Future Bets: (truncated)
    Up 3.17  Down 2
    Win WC Spain +630 (.3 units to win 1.89) - LOSS

    Game Bets: (truncated)
    Current Record - UP 52.605  Down 41.21

    49.  France PK and -.5 +102 (90 minute +stoppage wager) (3 units to win 3.06), France to advance -142 (1.42 to win 1) - WIN
    50.  Uruguay / Portugal draw +195 (1 to win 1.95) - LOSS
    51.   Spain -.5 and 1 vs Russia -125 (5 units to win 4) - LOSS
    52.   Denmark +.5 vs Croatia +105 (1 unit to win 1.05), Denmark to advance vs Croatia +210 (.25 to win .525) - WIN (overall)
    53.  Brazil / Mexico under 2.5 -102 (2.55 units to win 2.5) - WIN
    54.  Belgium -2 +225 vs Japan (1.2 units to win 2.7) - LOSS
    55.  Sweden PK +110 (90 minutes) (2.5 units to win 2.75), Sweden to advance +105 (2.5 units to win 2.625) - WIN 
    56.  England Colombia Over 2 -102 (1.53 units to win 1.5) - PUSH

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Up to date through round of 16....

    OVERALL RECORD:   Up 55.775  Down 43.21

    Future Bets: (truncated)
    Up 3.17  Down 2
    Win WC Spain +630 (.3 units to win 1.89) - LOSS

    Game Bets: (truncated)
    Current Record - UP 52.605  Down 41.21

    49.  France PK and -.5 +102 (90 minute +stoppage wager) (3 units to win 3.06), France to advance -142 (1.42 to win 1) - WIN
    50.  Uruguay / Portugal draw +195 (1 to win 1.95) - LOSS
    51.   Spain -.5 and 1 vs Russia -125 (5 units to win 4) - LOSS
    52.   Denmark +.5 vs Croatia +105 (1 unit to win 1.05), Denmark to advance vs Croatia +210 (.25 to win .525) - WIN (overall)
    53.  Brazil / Mexico under 2.5 -102 (2.55 units to win 2.5) - WIN
    54.  Belgium -2 +225 vs Japan (1.2 units to win 2.7) - LOSS
    55.  Sweden PK +110 (90 minutes) (2.5 units to win 2.75), Sweden to advance +105 (2.5 units to win 2.625) - WIN 
    56.  England Colombia Over 2 -102 (1.53 units to win 1.5) - PUSH

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2018 - 7:14 PM ET #560

    Quote Originally Posted by lordzud:

    Thanks my man, great pick. Line movement in world cup soccer doesn't mean very much because so much of the betting comes from squares. In sports where sharp whales are a large proportion of the total bets made it means a lot more. 

    A toast to VAN 

    Thanks Lordzud.

    There has been strange line moves in this tournament, and I am sure you are right about public betting.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by lordzud:

    Thanks my man, great pick. Line movement in world cup soccer doesn't mean very much because so much of the betting comes from squares. In sports where sharp whales are a large proportion of the total bets made it means a lot more. 

    A toast to VAN 

    Thanks Lordzud.

    There has been strange line moves in this tournament, and I am sure you are right about public betting.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2018 - 7:15 PM ET #561

    Quote Originally Posted by taurus:

    Thank you, mr van, for providing another winning day. I thought both games were a bit of a letdown, and I didn’t like the second game at all except for the stoppage time goal that got us the push.

    i was puzzled at the trouble Sweden had all first half executing inbounds passes. Admit I know very little about the rules of soccer and I wondered if there was some rule in certain situations that you had to pass the ball to your opponent.

    i guess we have a couple of off days then it’s on to the next round. Keep the good stuff coming. ?? ??


    I understand your confusion.  At times, it did seem like Sweden was trying to give away the ball - but I assure you - that isn't a rule or their intention.

    Interesting matchup coming for them with England.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by taurus:

    Thank you, mr van, for providing another winning day. I thought both games were a bit of a letdown, and I didn’t like the second game at all except for the stoppage time goal that got us the push.

    i was puzzled at the trouble Sweden had all first half executing inbounds passes. Admit I know very little about the rules of soccer and I wondered if there was some rule in certain situations that you had to pass the ball to your opponent.

    i guess we have a couple of off days then it’s on to the next round. Keep the good stuff coming. ?? ??


    I understand your confusion.  At times, it did seem like Sweden was trying to give away the ball - but I assure you - that isn't a rule or their intention.

    Interesting matchup coming for them with England.

     
    BIGDTITLE
    BIGDTITLE
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 26914
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 12:19 AM ET #562

    Houston sure showed up 
    Reply
    Houston sure showed up 
     
    AnselmoA
    AnselmoA
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2017
    Posts: 21
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 12:55 AM ET #563

    good work bud!! Appreciate the it. May we please have another brother?
    Reply
    good work bud!! Appreciate the it. May we please have another brother?
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 7:03 PM ET #564

    Brazil / Belgium

    Getting this one up first as it is the game of the first two that I feel strongest about.  I have been waiting for this exact spot since the tournament began, and even wrote about it in the first pages of this thread.

    Belgium's coach is Roberto Martinez.  I remember watching this guy coach Wigan Athletic in the EPL years ago seeing him play a unique style for the EPL - a 3-4-3 - or a 5-3-2 - the important part being that he played with 3 center backs and 2 "wingbacks".  Basically nobody else in the EPL was using this at the time - and Wigan is a low budget club that was seeing success using it - even winning the FA Cup which is basically a minor miracle.

    The premise of the wingbacks are that they are the fittest guys on the team, roaming up and down the pitch - serving as both offensive wingers and defenders.  Used properly, it gives you width in attack and a very fortified defense against a slow buildup.

    The problem it presents is the space left in behind the wingbacks when they go up in to attack - leaving a natural void in space in behind them if the ball gets stolen and a counter-attack ensues.  In this case, speedy opposition can see lots of joy attacking those spaces on the flanks while the wingback is sprinting to get back in to position - and often you are only left with 3 to defend and outside in counter attack.

    Brazil are the perfect team - the team that is best suited in this tournament - to exploit this style.  You should see Neymar and Willian (or Douglas Costa if he is fit) attacking these spaces with success all game - attacking from the outside in.

    Japan were lucky to be in the game with Belgium - played 10 times Belgium wins almost 10 out of 10 - Japan had clinical finishing on their two chances with a Belgium side fully exploited.  Watch this video of the first goal and you will see exactly what I am describing so far - at the 7 second mark of the video freeze it.  Japan has just picked up a turnover and is counterattacking.  Notice the wingbacks not even in the picture - and 3 Belgian CBs left to deal with attacking Japanese.  It is all over a mere 6 seconds later, and if you freeze it when the shot is taken, you only see 3 Belgians even in frame.  

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJeJuc27ggE

    The second Japanese goal is just unbelievable finishing - but if you freeze the video at the 26 second mark when he is shooting the ball - you can see just how deep the Belgian back 5 were sitting.  But this is how Belgium want to be in formation against a built up attack.

    Marcelo and Douglas Costa are back in training and will be gametime decisions - and I wish I knew if Marcelo was able to play or not - but in the end - I think Brazil handles Belgium with relative ease either way.

    Brazil - the team everyone thinks of when someone mentions flair or offensive skill - is the best defensive team in the tournament.  As I stated before, defensive teams win the WC - and Brazil has given up 1 goal in their 4 games and that was a controversial corner kick.

    A couple of things that concern me are Casemiro's suspension - as he is probably the best holding midfielder in the tournament - but I have enough faith in Paulinho to come in and cover the role.  I am always concerned about the lack of real size in the attack for Brazil, especially when I think there will be plenty of outside in attacking - but they seem to find a way to score without the use of headers.

    Brazil will win, and they will win in 90 minutes.

    Brazil +120 vs Belgium (4 units to win 4.8)
    Brazil to advance vs Belgium -160 (1.6 to win 1)

    Predicted final score Brazil 2 Belgium 0
    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Brazil / Belgium

    Getting this one up first as it is the game of the first two that I feel strongest about.  I have been waiting for this exact spot since the tournament began, and even wrote about it in the first pages of this thread.

    Belgium's coach is Roberto Martinez.  I remember watching this guy coach Wigan Athletic in the EPL years ago seeing him play a unique style for the EPL - a 3-4-3 - or a 5-3-2 - the important part being that he played with 3 center backs and 2 "wingbacks".  Basically nobody else in the EPL was using this at the time - and Wigan is a low budget club that was seeing success using it - even winning the FA Cup which is basically a minor miracle.

    The premise of the wingbacks are that they are the fittest guys on the team, roaming up and down the pitch - serving as both offensive wingers and defenders.  Used properly, it gives you width in attack and a very fortified defense against a slow buildup.

    The problem it presents is the space left in behind the wingbacks when they go up in to attack - leaving a natural void in space in behind them if the ball gets stolen and a counter-attack ensues.  In this case, speedy opposition can see lots of joy attacking those spaces on the flanks while the wingback is sprinting to get back in to position - and often you are only left with 3 to defend and outside in counter attack.

    Brazil are the perfect team - the team that is best suited in this tournament - to exploit this style.  You should see Neymar and Willian (or Douglas Costa if he is fit) attacking these spaces with success all game - attacking from the outside in.

    Japan were lucky to be in the game with Belgium - played 10 times Belgium wins almost 10 out of 10 - Japan had clinical finishing on their two chances with a Belgium side fully exploited.  Watch this video of the first goal and you will see exactly what I am describing so far - at the 7 second mark of the video freeze it.  Japan has just picked up a turnover and is counterattacking.  Notice the wingbacks not even in the picture - and 3 Belgian CBs left to deal with attacking Japanese.  It is all over a mere 6 seconds later, and if you freeze it when the shot is taken, you only see 3 Belgians even in frame.  

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJeJuc27ggE

    The second Japanese goal is just unbelievable finishing - but if you freeze the video at the 26 second mark when he is shooting the ball - you can see just how deep the Belgian back 5 were sitting.  But this is how Belgium want to be in formation against a built up attack.

    Marcelo and Douglas Costa are back in training and will be gametime decisions - and I wish I knew if Marcelo was able to play or not - but in the end - I think Brazil handles Belgium with relative ease either way.

    Brazil - the team everyone thinks of when someone mentions flair or offensive skill - is the best defensive team in the tournament.  As I stated before, defensive teams win the WC - and Brazil has given up 1 goal in their 4 games and that was a controversial corner kick.

    A couple of things that concern me are Casemiro's suspension - as he is probably the best holding midfielder in the tournament - but I have enough faith in Paulinho to come in and cover the role.  I am always concerned about the lack of real size in the attack for Brazil, especially when I think there will be plenty of outside in attacking - but they seem to find a way to score without the use of headers.

    Brazil will win, and they will win in 90 minutes.

    Brazil +120 vs Belgium (4 units to win 4.8)
    Brazil to advance vs Belgium -160 (1.6 to win 1)

    Predicted final score Brazil 2 Belgium 0
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 7:08 PM ET #565

    As a post script....

    I doubt Belgium will switch up their formation for this match, but trust me - they are talking about it I am sure.

    If they come out in something different that employs a 4-4-2 or something of the sort - I will be concerned about a 0-0 at the end of 90 - but not much more than that.
    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    As a post script....

    I doubt Belgium will switch up their formation for this match, but trust me - they are talking about it I am sure.

    If they come out in something different that employs a 4-4-2 or something of the sort - I will be concerned about a 0-0 at the end of 90 - but not much more than that.
     
    begginerboy
    begginerboy
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2013
    Posts: 15267
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 7:17 PM ET #566

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    As a post script....I doubt Belgium will switch up their formation for this match, but trust me - they are talking about it I am sure.If they come out in something different employs a 4-4-2 or something of the sort - I will be concerned about a 0-0 at the end of 90 - but not much more than that.

    Very nice stuff, Vanz. I have been waiting for your thoughts on this game. Like you, I have been more impressed with Brazil's defense than offense. When you watch them, it is as if they have the ability to push almost everyone forward when they attack, and then bring everyone back to play defense when they need to! Is this an optical illusion? Or do their players move so well in space that it appears like they have more players than the other team at all times? Anyway, taking a break from the dissertation on this 4th of July week/weekend and traveling with family. Wishing the best to you and yours.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    As a post script....I doubt Belgium will switch up their formation for this match, but trust me - they are talking about it I am sure.If they come out in something different employs a 4-4-2 or something of the sort - I will be concerned about a 0-0 at the end of 90 - but not much more than that.

    Very nice stuff, Vanz. I have been waiting for your thoughts on this game. Like you, I have been more impressed with Brazil's defense than offense. When you watch them, it is as if they have the ability to push almost everyone forward when they attack, and then bring everyone back to play defense when they need to! Is this an optical illusion? Or do their players move so well in space that it appears like they have more players than the other team at all times? Anyway, taking a break from the dissertation on this 4th of July week/weekend and traveling with family. Wishing the best to you and yours.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 7:26 PM ET #567

    France / Uruguay -

    What a shame that Uruguay most likely won't have Cavani.  Because with him, this would be a great match.  Without him - I am afraid Uruguay will pack in and play very conservatively - with lots of fouls in what should be an ugly, choppy game.

    I can only see this match as a one goal win for either side (unless there is some garbage time goal), and it will be a moment of brilliance from either side that wins it - if indeed there is a winner in the 120 minutes of normal time.

    France has positional edges, but I'm not sure enough to break down a Uruguay defense that I think will be bunkered in from the start.

    Look for lots of fouls, lots of meaningless possession, and possibly a moment or two that wins the game.

    I think the line is just about right - France should be favored - but I think the value lies in taking Uruguay in 90.

    Uruguay -106 vs France (90 minutes) (1.59 units to win 1.5)

    Predicted final score France 1-0 AET
    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    France / Uruguay -

    What a shame that Uruguay most likely won't have Cavani.  Because with him, this would be a great match.  Without him - I am afraid Uruguay will pack in and play very conservatively - with lots of fouls in what should be an ugly, choppy game.

    I can only see this match as a one goal win for either side (unless there is some garbage time goal), and it will be a moment of brilliance from either side that wins it - if indeed there is a winner in the 120 minutes of normal time.

    France has positional edges, but I'm not sure enough to break down a Uruguay defense that I think will be bunkered in from the start.

    Look for lots of fouls, lots of meaningless possession, and possibly a moment or two that wins the game.

    I think the line is just about right - France should be favored - but I think the value lies in taking Uruguay in 90.

    Uruguay -106 vs France (90 minutes) (1.59 units to win 1.5)

    Predicted final score France 1-0 AET
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 7:35 PM ET #568

    Quote Originally Posted by begginerboy:

    Very nice stuff, Vanz. I have been waiting for your thoughts on this game. Like you, I have been more impressed with Brazil's defense than offense. When you watch them, it is as if they have the ability to push almost everyone forward when they attack, and then bring everyone back to play defense when they need to! Is this an optical illusion? Or do their players move so well in space that it appears like they have more players than the other team at all times? Anyway, taking a break from the dissertation on this 4th of July week/weekend and traveling with family. Wishing the best to you and yours.


    GL to you also BB.

    Dissertation before sports.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by begginerboy:

    Very nice stuff, Vanz. I have been waiting for your thoughts on this game. Like you, I have been more impressed with Brazil's defense than offense. When you watch them, it is as if they have the ability to push almost everyone forward when they attack, and then bring everyone back to play defense when they need to! Is this an optical illusion? Or do their players move so well in space that it appears like they have more players than the other team at all times? Anyway, taking a break from the dissertation on this 4th of July week/weekend and traveling with family. Wishing the best to you and yours.


    GL to you also BB.

    Dissertation before sports.

     
    Titusblink
    Titusblink
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2013
    Posts: 6738
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 8:15 PM ET #569

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    As a post script....I doubt Belgium will switch up their formation for this match, but trust me - they are talking about it I am sure.If they come out in something different that employs a 4-4-2 or something of the sort - I will be concerned about a 0-0 at the end of 90 - but not much more than that.

     

    VZ - as always, win or lose, your analysis speaks for itself... I have been apprehensive playing this game until I see what Belgium is going to do. Does Martinez keep his system that while winning is getting exposed by inferior teams on the counter attack. Does he put Fellani in midfield. Does he push wingbacks back to traditional LB and RB roles and as you say go with a 4-4-2 or even 4-2-3-1 etc... Not sure it changes the analysis but I would love a bit more clarity on this before wagering

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    As a post script....I doubt Belgium will switch up their formation for this match, but trust me - they are talking about it I am sure.If they come out in something different that employs a 4-4-2 or something of the sort - I will be concerned about a 0-0 at the end of 90 - but not much more than that.

     

    VZ - as always, win or lose, your analysis speaks for itself... I have been apprehensive playing this game until I see what Belgium is going to do. Does Martinez keep his system that while winning is getting exposed by inferior teams on the counter attack. Does he put Fellani in midfield. Does he push wingbacks back to traditional LB and RB roles and as you say go with a 4-4-2 or even 4-2-3-1 etc... Not sure it changes the analysis but I would love a bit more clarity on this before wagering

     
    monkeebooger
    monkeebooger
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 6384
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 8:37 PM ET #570

    Van- do you think Brazil wins it all at this point? +275 currently and pre tournament I think I saw them +475 or so 
    Reply
    Van- do you think Brazil wins it all at this point? +275 currently and pre tournament I think I saw them +475 or so 
     
    statfreak
    statfreak
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 2241
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 8:57 PM ET #571

    vanzack im assuming you are taking Uruguay +.5 correct??? uruguay is +360 in regular time

    Reply

    vanzack im assuming you are taking Uruguay +.5 correct??? uruguay is +360 in regular time

     
    barneybeans
    barneybeans
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2003
    Posts: 9982
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 9:05 PM ET #572

    No Cavani no play for me - but you are taking the half goal for 90 -105, yes?
    The pen is mightier than the pigs
    Reply
    No Cavani no play for me - but you are taking the half goal for 90 -105, yes?
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 9:54 PM ET #573

    Quote Originally Posted by statfreak:

    vanzack im assuming you are taking Uruguay +.5 correct??? uruguay is +360 in regular time

     

    Yes.  Typo on my part.

    Should read:

     

    Uruguay +.5 -106 vs France (90 minutes) (1.59 units to win 1.5)

     

    Thanks for catching this.

     

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by statfreak:

    vanzack im assuming you are taking Uruguay +.5 correct??? uruguay is +360 in regular time

     

    Yes.  Typo on my part.

    Should read:

     

    Uruguay +.5 -106 vs France (90 minutes) (1.59 units to win 1.5)

     

    Thanks for catching this.

     

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2018 - 9:56 PM ET #574

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeebooger:

    Van- do you think Brazil wins it all at this point? +275 currently and pre tournament I think I saw them +475 or so

    I think it is a fair price.

    Matchups will determine.

    I am not betting them, but not betting against them either.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeebooger:

    Van- do you think Brazil wins it all at this point? +275 currently and pre tournament I think I saw them +475 or so

    I think it is a fair price.

    Matchups will determine.

    I am not betting them, but not betting against them either.

     
     
    BetCrimes1984
    BetCrimes1984
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 45613
    Posted: Jul. 5, 2018 - 2:00 AM ET #575

    Excuse me for 'hijacking' your thread, van, but I think these stats deserve to be viewed (& obv. this thread is well viewed) and it might be useful for you to learn as well going forward:

     

    Couple of historical scoreline angles that I can't see being ignored...

    (1) All 8 WC's that have involved the R16 format have delivered a 90 min 0-0 knockout result.

    8 knockout games in and none so far. To me, Uru/Fra & Swe/Eng would seem to be the biggest candidates to end the drought. I think the other two games will deliver at least 2 goals each. 

    (2) All 8 WC's that have involved the R16 format have delivered a 2-1 knockout result.

    There's been 26(!) of these results (17 in 90 mins; 9 after ET: the only WC of the 8 to not deliver a 90 min 2-1 result happens to be the only WC ever played in Asia), that's a rate greater than 3 per WC yet here we've had none with half of the knockout games done & dusted. 

    While history guarantees nothing in the present, I struggle to believe that both of these scorelines will just happen to fail to appear for the first time at the same WC. One of them? Always a chance, but both? Don't believe it. 

    Reply

    Excuse me for 'hijacking' your thread, van, but I think these stats deserve to be viewed (& obv. this thread is well viewed) and it might be useful for you to learn as well going forward:

     

    Couple of historical scoreline angles that I can't see being ignored...

    (1) All 8 WC's that have involved the R16 format have delivered a 90 min 0-0 knockout result.

    8 knockout games in and none so far. To me, Uru/Fra & Swe/Eng would seem to be the biggest candidates to end the drought. I think the other two games will deliver at least 2 goals each. 

    (2) All 8 WC's that have involved the R16 format have delivered a 2-1 knockout result.

    There's been 26(!) of these results (17 in 90 mins; 9 after ET: the only WC of the 8 to not deliver a 90 min 2-1 result happens to be the only WC ever played in Asia), that's a rate greater than 3 per WC yet here we've had none with half of the knockout games done & dusted. 

    While history guarantees nothing in the present, I struggle to believe that both of these scorelines will just happen to fail to appear for the first time at the same WC. One of them? Always a chance, but both? Don't believe it. 

    All Forums | FIFA World Cup
    «First Previous 232425 ... 303132 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,322
    • Friday 10/02/2026 902
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 266,200
    • Cleveland Bettors 2,711
    • Steelers vs Browns in-game live TNF 2,119
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 30,758
    • PART DEUX 224
    • NCAA WEEK 5 ***Mission Impossible: Fade me and win *** 5,247
    • We have picked a terrible time to have the stupidest president ever 30,593
    • ?? KBO Plays 🥎 15,742

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.