• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | College Football

    *** Texas vs. Bama Write-up (Long) ***

    «First Previous 123456 Next Last»
    jimmydafreak
    kroch
    Gold_Rush
    sagsmore
    koko11
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 11511
    Posts: 146
    «First Previous 123456 Next Last»
     
    jimmydafreak
    jimmydafreak
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 13951
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 6:10 PM ET #76

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandDaddyKush:

    All over Bama this time Brah! I learned my lesson in the SEC title game...These kids and Saban are on a different level this year and people that bring up the Auburn game forget that Bama kept their cool that whole game and a game like that actually made Bama A BETTER team. I'm not saying Texas didn't go through some shit too but Bama is better! I won't be wrong this time! The Texas Defense can't stop both Ingram and G-Mac...they will focus on Ingram....Greg will do his thing and eventually even work Ingram in or maybe Texas is too conservative respecting G-Mac and Ingram just shreds them like the two good RB's Texas faced this year did for 100+....

    Texas O-line is facing an even better defense than the Nebraska one that shredded them in the Big 12 Title game. McCoy will be pressured and the Bama secondary will capitalize. Saban will be smart Brown will be predicatable. Roll Tide!

    Even though I've known this since the day after it happened, I have refrained from posting this on Covers because it will start a whole new argument that will distract from the main message.

    I will preface this by saying that technically there isn't anything illegal about what Auburn did so I'm not accusing them of cheating.  However, there is compelling evidence that Auburn was stealing Bama's signals in the Iron Bowl.  I think more than anything, that accounts for the closeness of that game.  I have said in other posts on several occasions that, for handicapping purposes, people need to erase that game from their memory banks without elaborating further.  But that Auburn game is still in the back of the minds of many, and it will cost them money.  I said that before the Florida game, and I'm saying it again.  Forget the Auburn game!!!

    Now let the bashing begin!!!

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandDaddyKush:

    All over Bama this time Brah! I learned my lesson in the SEC title game...These kids and Saban are on a different level this year and people that bring up the Auburn game forget that Bama kept their cool that whole game and a game like that actually made Bama A BETTER team. I'm not saying Texas didn't go through some shit too but Bama is better! I won't be wrong this time! The Texas Defense can't stop both Ingram and G-Mac...they will focus on Ingram....Greg will do his thing and eventually even work Ingram in or maybe Texas is too conservative respecting G-Mac and Ingram just shreds them like the two good RB's Texas faced this year did for 100+....

    Texas O-line is facing an even better defense than the Nebraska one that shredded them in the Big 12 Title game. McCoy will be pressured and the Bama secondary will capitalize. Saban will be smart Brown will be predicatable. Roll Tide!

    Even though I've known this since the day after it happened, I have refrained from posting this on Covers because it will start a whole new argument that will distract from the main message.

    I will preface this by saying that technically there isn't anything illegal about what Auburn did so I'm not accusing them of cheating.  However, there is compelling evidence that Auburn was stealing Bama's signals in the Iron Bowl.  I think more than anything, that accounts for the closeness of that game.  I have said in other posts on several occasions that, for handicapping purposes, people need to erase that game from their memory banks without elaborating further.  But that Auburn game is still in the back of the minds of many, and it will cost them money.  I said that before the Florida game, and I'm saying it again.  Forget the Auburn game!!!

    Now let the bashing begin!!!

     

     
    kroch
    kroch
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 794
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 6:10 PM ET #77

    and Kareem Jackson is 5'11", 190 going up against 6'3" 220 lb Malcom Williams.  (and will be single coverage all day)

    you don't have to be huge at corner to be a baller.

    Kareem Jackson is going to NFL draft right?

    Reply

    and Kareem Jackson is 5'11", 190 going up against 6'3" 220 lb Malcom Williams.  (and will be single coverage all day)

    you don't have to be huge at corner to be a baller.

    Kareem Jackson is going to NFL draft right?

     
    Gold_Rush
    Gold_Rush
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 7850
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 6:12 PM ET #78

    Thanks for the in-depth response Jimmy 

    When I say - Tenn should have won, could have won
    Tenn played well in the game on Defense. But..

    I am actually referring to the play where cody blocked the kick
    but then - took off his helmet as the ball was still live.

    He had taken off his helmet before the recovery and the play had not ended yet. 
    NO PENALTY 

    Technically speaking that is a penalty and would have given
    Tennessee another shot at the FG Cody may have blocked that
    one as well,. But I should have mentioned that blown call specifically.. 

    Clearly Alabama got a huge break but then again
    so did Florida vs Arkansas and we can all pretty much say that the league really really really wanted Bama vs Florida. If you catch my drift. Nothing was going to stop that game from happening
    and deep down I am glad they do what they do, 
    even though bad calls make me sick

    Give the people what they want!!!

    But I have to say I do not love the idea of betting against 
    a team that hit so big for me vs Florida. 

    I am kind of going out on a limb considering how much
    i respect and admire this alabama team

    again thanks for the response, it was very detailed
    best of luck and if you win I will be sure to be the 1st
    to congratulate you on the well earned Victory.
    Reply
    Thanks for the in-depth response Jimmy 

    When I say - Tenn should have won, could have won
    Tenn played well in the game on Defense. But..

    I am actually referring to the play where cody blocked the kick
    but then - took off his helmet as the ball was still live.

    He had taken off his helmet before the recovery and the play had not ended yet. 
    NO PENALTY 

    Technically speaking that is a penalty and would have given
    Tennessee another shot at the FG Cody may have blocked that
    one as well,. But I should have mentioned that blown call specifically.. 

    Clearly Alabama got a huge break but then again
    so did Florida vs Arkansas and we can all pretty much say that the league really really really wanted Bama vs Florida. If you catch my drift. Nothing was going to stop that game from happening
    and deep down I am glad they do what they do, 
    even though bad calls make me sick

    Give the people what they want!!!

    But I have to say I do not love the idea of betting against 
    a team that hit so big for me vs Florida. 

    I am kind of going out on a limb considering how much
    i respect and admire this alabama team

    again thanks for the response, it was very detailed
    best of luck and if you win I will be sure to be the 1st
    to congratulate you on the well earned Victory.
     
    jimmydafreak
    jimmydafreak
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 13951
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 6:13 PM ET #79

    Quote Originally Posted by bob696969:

    Jimmy, any thoughts on the line dropping to bama -3.5?  what the fuck is up with that?


    I couldn't care less about line moves.  As I have said before, Vegas won't make any tackles in this game.  Stick to your play.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by bob696969:

    Jimmy, any thoughts on the line dropping to bama -3.5?  what the fuck is up with that?


    I couldn't care less about line moves.  As I have said before, Vegas won't make any tackles in this game.  Stick to your play.

     
    kroch
    kroch
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 794
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 6:13 PM ET #80

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydafreak:

    Kroch I will say that of all the Texas backers on Covers, you (and perhaps gtsum) are the only one who even attempts to make a logical argument for backing Texas in this game.  While I respectfully disagree with most of your conclusions, I do have a lot of respect for your informative posts.  We need more posters of your ilk who can actually analyze a football game and articulate a legitimate football rationale for favoring one side or the other.

    This game will not be decided by a Heisman jinx.  It won't be decided by UT's 7-0-1 lifetime record versus Bama, or by some other obscure, irrelevant stat or trend.  It won't be decided by some Vegas insider.  It will be decided on the football field, and more particularly in the trenches.

    So just wanted to say I appreciate what you bring to the board, and keep up the good work.

    thank you sir.  just trying to bring reason to the table.  this will not be a blowout that so many are sure of.

    even Florida last year with all those weapons (Tebow/Murphy/Harvin) was tied with OU going in the 4th...and OU had a much worse defense than Texas does this year.

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydafreak:

    Kroch I will say that of all the Texas backers on Covers, you (and perhaps gtsum) are the only one who even attempts to make a logical argument for backing Texas in this game.  While I respectfully disagree with most of your conclusions, I do have a lot of respect for your informative posts.  We need more posters of your ilk who can actually analyze a football game and articulate a legitimate football rationale for favoring one side or the other.

    This game will not be decided by a Heisman jinx.  It won't be decided by UT's 7-0-1 lifetime record versus Bama, or by some other obscure, irrelevant stat or trend.  It won't be decided by some Vegas insider.  It will be decided on the football field, and more particularly in the trenches.

    So just wanted to say I appreciate what you bring to the board, and keep up the good work.

    thank you sir.  just trying to bring reason to the table.  this will not be a blowout that so many are sure of.

    even Florida last year with all those weapons (Tebow/Murphy/Harvin) was tied with OU going in the 4th...and OU had a much worse defense than Texas does this year.

     

     
    kroch
    kroch
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 794
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 6:14 PM ET #81

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydafreak:

    Even though I've known this since the day after it happened, I have refrained from posting this on Covers because it will start a whole new argument that will distract from the main message.

    I will preface this by saying that technically there isn't anything illegal about what Auburn did so I'm not accusing them of cheating.  However, there is compelling evidence that Auburn was stealing Bama's signals in the Iron Bowl.  I think more than anything, that accounts for the closeness of that game.  I have said in other posts on several occasions that, for handicapping purposes, people need to erase that game from their memory banks without elaborating further.  But that Auburn game is still in the back of the minds of many, and it will cost them money.  I said that before the Florida game, and I'm saying it again.  Forget the Auburn game!!!

    Now let the bashing begin!!!

     

    in that same vein, Nebraska was stealing signals against TX and coaches didn't figure it out until mid 3rd quarter---precisely when we were starting to move the ball on them more :)

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydafreak:

    Even though I've known this since the day after it happened, I have refrained from posting this on Covers because it will start a whole new argument that will distract from the main message.

    I will preface this by saying that technically there isn't anything illegal about what Auburn did so I'm not accusing them of cheating.  However, there is compelling evidence that Auburn was stealing Bama's signals in the Iron Bowl.  I think more than anything, that accounts for the closeness of that game.  I have said in other posts on several occasions that, for handicapping purposes, people need to erase that game from their memory banks without elaborating further.  But that Auburn game is still in the back of the minds of many, and it will cost them money.  I said that before the Florida game, and I'm saying it again.  Forget the Auburn game!!!

    Now let the bashing begin!!!

     

    in that same vein, Nebraska was stealing signals against TX and coaches didn't figure it out until mid 3rd quarter---precisely when we were starting to move the ball on them more :)

     

     
    sagsmore
    sagsmore
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 80
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 6:20 PM ET #82

    Also Mark Barron is the best safety in the country (i know laugh) he is a sophomore and had 7 picks in his 1st yr at the position. and will  be a top ten pick in next years draft(I wish he would stay but he won't)He will no-doubt This will allow Bama to play man with Barron helping over the top.  Look for Bama to expose  Texas trying to stop the run with playaction passes to none other than......Marquis Maze!!!! Darius Hanks should have a big game as well. Julio will be used as a decoy and a nasty blocker for TR and MI in the 4th   RTR
    Reply
    Also Mark Barron is the best safety in the country (i know laugh) he is a sophomore and had 7 picks in his 1st yr at the position. and will  be a top ten pick in next years draft(I wish he would stay but he won't)He will no-doubt This will allow Bama to play man with Barron helping over the top.  Look for Bama to expose  Texas trying to stop the run with playaction passes to none other than......Marquis Maze!!!! Darius Hanks should have a big game as well. Julio will be used as a decoy and a nasty blocker for TR and MI in the 4th   RTR
     
    koko11
    koko11
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 3091
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 6:37 PM ET #83

    Quote Originally Posted by kroch:

    and Kareem Jackson is 5'11", 190 going up against 6'3" 220 lb Malcom Williams.  (and will be single coverage all day)

    you don't have to be huge at corner to be a baller.

    Kareem Jackson is going to NFL draft right?


    And that is exactly why in my writeup on this game in my thread I have Williams as having a big day... I never said you have to be huge but if you are going up against a WR that has 45 pounds on you are you going to get manhandled...
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by kroch:

    and Kareem Jackson is 5'11", 190 going up against 6'3" 220 lb Malcom Williams.  (and will be single coverage all day)

    you don't have to be huge at corner to be a baller.

    Kareem Jackson is going to NFL draft right?


    And that is exactly why in my writeup on this game in my thread I have Williams as having a big day... I never said you have to be huge but if you are going up against a WR that has 45 pounds on you are you going to get manhandled...
     
    jimmydafreak
    jimmydafreak
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 13951
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 7:43 PM ET #84

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold_Rush:

    Thanks for the in-depth response Jimmy 

    When I say - Tenn should have won, could have won
    Tenn played well in the game on Defense. But..

    I am actually referring to the play where cody blocked the kick
    but then - took off his helmet as the ball was still live.

    He had taken off his helmet before the recovery and the play had not ended yet. 
    NO PENALTY 

    Technically speaking that is a penalty and would have given
    Tennessee another shot at the FG Cody may have blocked that
    one as well,. But I should have mentioned that blown call specifically.. 

    Clearly Alabama got a huge break but then again
    so did Florida vs Arkansas and we can all pretty much say that the league really really really wanted Bama vs Florida. If you catch my drift. Nothing was going to stop that game from happening
    and deep down I am glad they do what they do, 
    even though bad calls make me sick

    Give the people what they want!!!

    But I have to say I do not love the idea of betting against 
    a team that hit so big for me vs Florida. 

    I am kind of going out on a limb considering how much
    i respect and admire this alabama team

    again thanks for the response, it was very detailed
    best of luck and if you win I will be sure to be the 1st
    to congratulate you on the well earned Victory.

    Gold Rush, the failure to throw a flag was discussed ad nauseum following the game, and Lane Kiffin was the leader of the complainers.  There were even several mainstream media reporters who wrote articles about this.  The upshot of all of this discussion was that it wouldn't have mattered if the officials had thrown an unsportsmanlike-conduct flag on Cody or not, because it would not have afforded Tennessee a second bite at the apple.

    Although this may seem counter-intuitive, an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty is ALWAYS a dead-ball foul.  Therefore, because the play ended with Alabama having possession of the ball, Alabama's offense would have been penalized 15-yards from the spot of recovery.  I can find articles that address this play, and/or I can point to the rule in the NCAA Rules Book for you if you wish.  The bottom line is that it has been conclusively proven that this is a wholly specious argument.

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold_Rush:

    Thanks for the in-depth response Jimmy 

    When I say - Tenn should have won, could have won
    Tenn played well in the game on Defense. But..

    I am actually referring to the play where cody blocked the kick
    but then - took off his helmet as the ball was still live.

    He had taken off his helmet before the recovery and the play had not ended yet. 
    NO PENALTY 

    Technically speaking that is a penalty and would have given
    Tennessee another shot at the FG Cody may have blocked that
    one as well,. But I should have mentioned that blown call specifically.. 

    Clearly Alabama got a huge break but then again
    so did Florida vs Arkansas and we can all pretty much say that the league really really really wanted Bama vs Florida. If you catch my drift. Nothing was going to stop that game from happening
    and deep down I am glad they do what they do, 
    even though bad calls make me sick

    Give the people what they want!!!

    But I have to say I do not love the idea of betting against 
    a team that hit so big for me vs Florida. 

    I am kind of going out on a limb considering how much
    i respect and admire this alabama team

    again thanks for the response, it was very detailed
    best of luck and if you win I will be sure to be the 1st
    to congratulate you on the well earned Victory.

    Gold Rush, the failure to throw a flag was discussed ad nauseum following the game, and Lane Kiffin was the leader of the complainers.  There were even several mainstream media reporters who wrote articles about this.  The upshot of all of this discussion was that it wouldn't have mattered if the officials had thrown an unsportsmanlike-conduct flag on Cody or not, because it would not have afforded Tennessee a second bite at the apple.

    Although this may seem counter-intuitive, an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty is ALWAYS a dead-ball foul.  Therefore, because the play ended with Alabama having possession of the ball, Alabama's offense would have been penalized 15-yards from the spot of recovery.  I can find articles that address this play, and/or I can point to the rule in the NCAA Rules Book for you if you wish.  The bottom line is that it has been conclusively proven that this is a wholly specious argument.

     

     
    koko11
    koko11
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 3091
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 7:55 PM ET #85

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydafreak:

    Gold Rush, the failure to throw a flag was discussed ad nauseum following the game, and Lane Kiffin was the leader of the complainers.  There were even several mainstream media reporters who wrote articles about this.  The upshot of all of this discussion was that it wouldn't have mattered if the officials had thrown an unsportsmanlike-conduct flag on Cody or not, because it would not have afforded Tennessee a second bite at the apple.

    Although this may seem counter-intuitive, an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty is ALWAYS a dead-ball foul.  Therefore, because the play ended with Alabama having possession of the ball, Alabama's offense would have been penalized 15-yards from the spot of recovery.  I can find articles that address this play, and/or I can point to the rule in the NCAA Rules Book for you if you wish.  The bottom line is that it has been conclusively proven that this is a wholly specious argument.

     


    That is 100% true.... It would have not mattered and the game was over when the FG was blocked anyways as the ball did not cross the LOS... Flag or no flag like Jimmy says would not have changed the fact that it was Bama's ball..
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydafreak:

    Gold Rush, the failure to throw a flag was discussed ad nauseum following the game, and Lane Kiffin was the leader of the complainers.  There were even several mainstream media reporters who wrote articles about this.  The upshot of all of this discussion was that it wouldn't have mattered if the officials had thrown an unsportsmanlike-conduct flag on Cody or not, because it would not have afforded Tennessee a second bite at the apple.

    Although this may seem counter-intuitive, an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty is ALWAYS a dead-ball foul.  Therefore, because the play ended with Alabama having possession of the ball, Alabama's offense would have been penalized 15-yards from the spot of recovery.  I can find articles that address this play, and/or I can point to the rule in the NCAA Rules Book for you if you wish.  The bottom line is that it has been conclusively proven that this is a wholly specious argument.

     


    That is 100% true.... It would have not mattered and the game was over when the FG was blocked anyways as the ball did not cross the LOS... Flag or no flag like Jimmy says would not have changed the fact that it was Bama's ball..
     
    BigPimpin
    BigPimpin
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 4879
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 11:16 PM ET #86

    Excellent write-up.

    First and foremost,I am a Texas alum ('98), an Austin resident, and a Longhorn fan. But thats where it stops for me in terms of the National Championship game.Lots of Homers in this thread, but truth be told, Texas is over-rated and over-ranked,just like they are "most" years in College Football. A cream-puff schedule, playing against pass-first offenses, and an imbalanced/disproportionate offensive scheme have never been the recipe for a National Championship.

    I'll spare myriad apples to oranges comparisons of conferences, games, positions, etc but I must digress in saying a far superior Texas team should have lost to a far inferior Ohio State team LY in the Fiesta Bowl. And if you think that is an irrelevant point, than you have no clue about tomorrow nights matchup.

    Bottomline: We are all bettors, and bettors are always looking for an advantage or an edge; In a game that arguably anyone can win, Alabama has both an advantage and an edge.I hope Texas wins, and I think the possibility exists for Texas to win, but Alabama wins.

    This is just one game. A huge game but a game that does not merit a huge play with your bankroll. Enjoy the game.

     

     

    Reply

    Excellent write-up.

    First and foremost,I am a Texas alum ('98), an Austin resident, and a Longhorn fan. But thats where it stops for me in terms of the National Championship game.Lots of Homers in this thread, but truth be told, Texas is over-rated and over-ranked,just like they are "most" years in College Football. A cream-puff schedule, playing against pass-first offenses, and an imbalanced/disproportionate offensive scheme have never been the recipe for a National Championship.

    I'll spare myriad apples to oranges comparisons of conferences, games, positions, etc but I must digress in saying a far superior Texas team should have lost to a far inferior Ohio State team LY in the Fiesta Bowl. And if you think that is an irrelevant point, than you have no clue about tomorrow nights matchup.

    Bottomline: We are all bettors, and bettors are always looking for an advantage or an edge; In a game that arguably anyone can win, Alabama has both an advantage and an edge.I hope Texas wins, and I think the possibility exists for Texas to win, but Alabama wins.

    This is just one game. A huge game but a game that does not merit a huge play with your bankroll. Enjoy the game.

     

     

     
    giants50
    giants50
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2009
    Posts: 10
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 11:23 PM ET #87

    forget  stats,conferences,schedules,location,crowd,band,cheerleaders,and the spread...This is a gut call and nothing else...... and mine is feeling the TIDE!!!!!!!!!!  also the fact that i hit a little 3team parlay this evening didn't hurt :)

    Reply
    forget  stats,conferences,schedules,location,crowd,band,cheerleaders,and the spread...This is a gut call and nothing else...... and mine is feeling the TIDE!!!!!!!!!!  also the fact that i hit a little 3team parlay this evening didn't hurt :)

     
    Wizerguy
    Wizerguy
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 38362
    Posted: Jan. 6, 2010 - 11:24 PM ET #88

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandtheftauto4:

    great write up. but all i have to say is: heisman jinx. only 2 heisman winners this decade have won their bowl games. carson palmer and matt leinart

    3rd times the charm

    BAMA BIG!!!!!!!!!

    - The storms will come, the storms will pass -
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandtheftauto4:

    great write up. but all i have to say is: heisman jinx. only 2 heisman winners this decade have won their bowl games. carson palmer and matt leinart

    3rd times the charm

    BAMA BIG!!!!!!!!!

     
    jimmydafreak
    jimmydafreak
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 13951
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 12:03 AM ET #89

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPimpin:

    Excellent write-up.

    First and foremost,I am a Texas alum ('98), an Austin resident, and a Longhorn fan. But thats where it stops for me in terms of the National Championship game.Lots of Homers in this thread, but truth be told, Texas is over-rated and over-ranked,just like they are "most" years in College Football. A cream-puff schedule, playing against pass-first offenses, and an imbalanced/disproportionate offensive scheme have never been the recipe for a National Championship.

    I'll spare myriad apples to oranges comparisons of conferences, games, positions, etc but I must digress in saying a far superior Texas team should have lost to a far inferior Ohio State team LY in the Fiesta Bowl. And if you think that is an irrelevant point, than you have no clue about tomorrow nights matchup.

    Bottomline: We are all bettors, and bettors are always looking for an advantage or an edge; In a game that arguably anyone can win, Alabama has both an advantage and an edge.I hope Texas wins, and I think the possibility exists for Texas to win, but Alabama wins.

    This is just one game. A huge game but a game that does not merit a huge play with your bankroll. Enjoy the game.

    I'm not sure how superior Texas was to Ohio State last year, but your point that Texas seems struggles against power football teams is well taken.  Many posters have made the same point with this year's Oklahoma and Nebraska games.

    Honestly I think the Nebraska game was probably the best thing that could have happened to Texas, because I definitely think it'll help them to prepare for Bama.  The problem is that Bama is more powerful than either Nebraska or Oklahoma in the trenches, and as I said in my initial writeup, you can't fake power.  You either have it or you don't, and Bama does and Texas doesn't.

    I think Texas will be well prepared for this game, and they will definitely give Bama their best shot, but ultimately I don't think they can physically hang with Bama for 4 quarters

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPimpin:

    Excellent write-up.

    First and foremost,I am a Texas alum ('98), an Austin resident, and a Longhorn fan. But thats where it stops for me in terms of the National Championship game.Lots of Homers in this thread, but truth be told, Texas is over-rated and over-ranked,just like they are "most" years in College Football. A cream-puff schedule, playing against pass-first offenses, and an imbalanced/disproportionate offensive scheme have never been the recipe for a National Championship.

    I'll spare myriad apples to oranges comparisons of conferences, games, positions, etc but I must digress in saying a far superior Texas team should have lost to a far inferior Ohio State team LY in the Fiesta Bowl. And if you think that is an irrelevant point, than you have no clue about tomorrow nights matchup.

    Bottomline: We are all bettors, and bettors are always looking for an advantage or an edge; In a game that arguably anyone can win, Alabama has both an advantage and an edge.I hope Texas wins, and I think the possibility exists for Texas to win, but Alabama wins.

    This is just one game. A huge game but a game that does not merit a huge play with your bankroll. Enjoy the game.

    I'm not sure how superior Texas was to Ohio State last year, but your point that Texas seems struggles against power football teams is well taken.  Many posters have made the same point with this year's Oklahoma and Nebraska games.

    Honestly I think the Nebraska game was probably the best thing that could have happened to Texas, because I definitely think it'll help them to prepare for Bama.  The problem is that Bama is more powerful than either Nebraska or Oklahoma in the trenches, and as I said in my initial writeup, you can't fake power.  You either have it or you don't, and Bama does and Texas doesn't.

    I think Texas will be well prepared for this game, and they will definitely give Bama their best shot, but ultimately I don't think they can physically hang with Bama for 4 quarters

     
    estes1717
    estes1717
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2007
    Posts: 27398
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 12:14 AM ET #90

    I'm on Bama Freak.. ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
    Reply
    I'm on Bama Freak.. ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
     
    KktdocT
    KktdocT
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 66757
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 12:16 AM ET #91

    i'm not able to read all of that you've spent time written, but love the play!

    Reply

    i'm not able to read all of that you've spent time written, but love the play!

     
    CalBear
    CalBear
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 21426
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 12:31 AM ET #92

    On the opposite Jimmy, but like I told Koko, always enjoy your insight and look forward to next year.
    Reply
    On the opposite Jimmy, but like I told Koko, always enjoy your insight and look forward to next year.
     
    Crusher13
    Crusher13
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 8063
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 1:22 AM ET #93

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPimpin:

    Excellent write-up.

    First and foremost,I am a Texas alum ('98), an Austin resident, and a Longhorn fan. But thats where it stops for me in terms of the National Championship game.Lots of Homers in this thread, but truth be told, Texas is over-rated and over-ranked,just like they are "most" years in College Football. A cream-puff schedule, playing against pass-first offenses, and an imbalanced/disproportionate offensive scheme have never been the recipe for a National Championship.

    I'll spare myriad apples to oranges comparisons of conferences, games, positions, etc but I must digress in saying a far superior Texas team should have lost to a far inferior Ohio State team LY in the Fiesta Bowl. And if you think that is an irrelevant point, than you have no clue about tomorrow nights matchup.

    Bottomline: We are all bettors, and bettors are always looking for an advantage or an edge; In a game that arguably anyone can win, Alabama has both an advantage and an edge.I hope Texas wins, and I think the possibility exists for Texas to win, but Alabama wins.

    This is just one game. A huge game but a game that does not merit a huge play with your bankroll. Enjoy the game.

     

     

    Finally, a "realist Longhorn fan post." I'm sure there are plenty other TX fans that feel similarly but just won't admit it. This game will be decided well before the 4th quarter. Like you guys favorite saying:

                   TOTAL DOMINATION

    F.Y. I.  Greeks alt BAMA line -14.5 has moved from  +260 to +310
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPimpin:

    Excellent write-up.

    First and foremost,I am a Texas alum ('98), an Austin resident, and a Longhorn fan. But thats where it stops for me in terms of the National Championship game.Lots of Homers in this thread, but truth be told, Texas is over-rated and over-ranked,just like they are "most" years in College Football. A cream-puff schedule, playing against pass-first offenses, and an imbalanced/disproportionate offensive scheme have never been the recipe for a National Championship.

    I'll spare myriad apples to oranges comparisons of conferences, games, positions, etc but I must digress in saying a far superior Texas team should have lost to a far inferior Ohio State team LY in the Fiesta Bowl. And if you think that is an irrelevant point, than you have no clue about tomorrow nights matchup.

    Bottomline: We are all bettors, and bettors are always looking for an advantage or an edge; In a game that arguably anyone can win, Alabama has both an advantage and an edge.I hope Texas wins, and I think the possibility exists for Texas to win, but Alabama wins.

    This is just one game. A huge game but a game that does not merit a huge play with your bankroll. Enjoy the game.

     

     

    Finally, a "realist Longhorn fan post." I'm sure there are plenty other TX fans that feel similarly but just won't admit it. This game will be decided well before the 4th quarter. Like you guys favorite saying:

                   TOTAL DOMINATION

    F.Y. I.  Greeks alt BAMA line -14.5 has moved from  +260 to +310
     
    buckeye34
    buckeye34
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 10373
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 1:28 AM ET #94

    Reply
     
    jimmydafreak
    jimmydafreak
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 13951
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 3:35 AM ET #95

    Quote Originally Posted by estes1717:

    I'm on Bama Freak.. ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!

    Atta boy!!! 

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by estes1717:

    I'm on Bama Freak.. ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!

    Atta boy!!! 

     
    jimmydafreak
    jimmydafreak
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 13951
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 3:37 AM ET #96

    Quote Originally Posted by KktdocT:

    i'm not able to read all of that you've spent time written, but love the play!

    If you're on Bama, you don't have to read it!!! 

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by KktdocT:

    i'm not able to read all of that you've spent time written, but love the play!

    If you're on Bama, you don't have to read it!!! 

     

     
    jwheels86
    jwheels86
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 16182
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 3:39 AM ET #97

    Its too late Jimmy, oh its too late..
    Reply
    Its too late Jimmy, oh its too late..
     
    jimmydafreak
    jimmydafreak
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 13951
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 3:46 AM ET #98

    Quote Originally Posted by koko11:


    That is 100% true.... It would have not mattered and the game was over when the FG was blocked anyways as the ball did not cross the LOS... Flag or no flag like Jimmy says would not have changed the fact that it was Bama's ball..

    That's not exactly 100% correct.  Because the ball did not cross the line of scrimmage, it was a live ball (equivalent to a fumble) that could have been advanced by either team.  The play, and by extension the game, ended when Julio recovered the loose ball.  In other words, Tennessee could have picked up the ball and run it into the endzone for a touchdown.  Check out the following video Koko.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS1vkS_bv-c

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by koko11:


    That is 100% true.... It would have not mattered and the game was over when the FG was blocked anyways as the ball did not cross the LOS... Flag or no flag like Jimmy says would not have changed the fact that it was Bama's ball..

    That's not exactly 100% correct.  Because the ball did not cross the line of scrimmage, it was a live ball (equivalent to a fumble) that could have been advanced by either team.  The play, and by extension the game, ended when Julio recovered the loose ball.  In other words, Tennessee could have picked up the ball and run it into the endzone for a touchdown.  Check out the following video Koko.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS1vkS_bv-c

     

     
    jimmydafreak
    jimmydafreak
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 13951
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 3:48 AM ET #99

    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear:

    On the opposite Jimmy, but like I told Koko, always enjoy your insight and look forward to next year.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear:

    On the opposite Jimmy, but like I told Koko, always enjoy your insight and look forward to next year.

     
     
    jimmydafreak
    jimmydafreak
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 13951
    Posted: Jan. 7, 2010 - 3:50 AM ET #100

    Quote Originally Posted by jwheels86:

    Its too late Jimmy, oh its too late..

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by jwheels86:

    Its too late Jimmy, oh its too late..

    All Forums | College Football
    «First Previous 123456 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 457,421
    • Sunday 10/04/2026 689
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 104,356
    • ***Macwesties * Sun. Oct. 04, 2026 * Week #4 * NFL Football Plays*** 8,688
    • This Seattle Line Is Begging for a Discussion 2,825
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,507
    • __________ 📌 🏈 ?? Fubah's NFL 2026: Week 04 🚩🚩🚩🚩 13,296
    • Lions vs Panthers in game live SNF 1,884
    • Los Angeles Rams @ Philadelphia Eagles 5,886
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,316

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.