Search model icon

Less than 2% chance they play football this season

Participants:
Views: 2565

All-Star
Participation Meter
Posted: #51

I think they move it to Spring before the cancel the year entirely.  And for all we know, the NFL season could be moved back too which would move back the combine and draft.  Cancelling a season is a nightmare scenario for NCAA because of the scholarships (among other reasons).  The cost of scholarships across D1 for the senior class is more than 200 million dollars.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #52

Quote Originally Posted by UNIMAN:

Yes, you have "already won", congrats! Your a winner! Since February 1st 12,958 Americans between the ages of 15-24 years old have died in the United States. Some by accidents, some by violence, some by drugs, some by suicide, and some by illnesses, etc. There were 257 deaths that were from pneumonia NOT COVID related, 51 deaths from Influenza. Of the 12,958 dead, 149 are COVID related. So add 1.15% to the death rate of an age group and it stops the world of sports. There were 2081 deaths of children aged 5-14. Of those deaths 68 were pneumonia NOT COVID related, 46 were from influenza, and 14 were from COVID. Oh, we can't have school now!! This is facts. This is science.  My reference for the above data; https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku There are no meters for death other than COVID. The people of the U.S. are so gullible.

I dont know why people are fixated on just death statistics when it comes to COVID 19 ...

Severe lung & nerve damage , strokes , and Chronic fatigue syndrome are other possible issues ...

Take a look at Chronic fatigue syndrome,  it sucks , never goes away 

QUICK LESSON about AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES and COVID-19. Auto-Immune disease causes the white blood cells that normally protect your body from invaders to turn around and ATTACK your CELLS, TISSUES and ORGANS. CHRONIC FATIGUE is another symptom. It is not a cold or the flu, you will NEVER get BETTER. Sleeping 10 hours doesn’t leave you well rested, ever. PAINFUL JOINTS, MUSCLES and BONES, dry skin, BREAKING HAIR, HAIR LOSS, MOOD SWINGS, and DEPRESSION are just the tip of the ICEBERG.
You are also PRONE to having MULTIPLE AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES, they typically come in pairs of two. You easily catch viral and bacterial infections. You have days where no matter how hard you try, you just can’t smile for anyone.
I urge you to think twice before passing judgment and thinking our nation is overreacting to the extra measures being taken to curb the spread of this virus. YOU might be able to recover from it no problem, however, carry it to SOMEONE WITH AN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE and that individual won’t be as lucky.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #53

Quote Originally Posted by thorpe:

I think they move it to Spring before the cancel the year entirely.  And for all we know, the NFL season could be moved back too which would move back the combine and draft.  Cancelling a season is a nightmare scenario for NCAA because of the scholarships (among other reasons).  The cost of scholarships across D1 for the senior class is more than 200 million dollars.

I cant see anything being better in the spring ...NY had the highest infection rate and now possibly the lowest by far per capita ..Too many states are full of people who refuse to wear masks and socially distance ...My dumb fack cousins in Florida are still partying ..Even after one their friends died ( 32 yr old ) ...

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #54

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp4Life:

Quote Originally Posted by UNIMAN: Yes, you have "already won", congrats! Your a winner! Since February 1st 12,958 Americans between the ages of 15-24 years old have died in the United States. Some by accidents, some by violence, some by drugs, some by suicide, and some by illnesses, etc. There were 257 deaths that were from pneumonia NOT COVID related, 51 deaths from Influenza. Of the 12,958 dead, 149 are COVID related. So add 1.15% to the death rate of an age group and it stops the world of sports. There were 2081 deaths of children aged 5-14. Of those deaths 68 were pneumonia NOT COVID related, 46 were from influenza, and 14 were from COVID. Oh, we can't have school now!! This is facts. This is science.  My reference for the above data; https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku There are no meters for death other than COVID. The people of the U.S. are so gullible.   I dont know why people are fixated on just death statistics when it comes to COVID 19 ... Severe lung & nerve damage , strokes , and Chronic fatigue syndrome are other possible issues ...   

I know what damage has bee associated with COVID-19. All other illnesses have damaging effects too. There are no statistics for these so I cannot compare. There are stats on COVID hospitalizations, no use me reciting those now. Won't make a difference.

Double, my problem is this; IMO, the news media cannot be trusted in the least. I see for myself one thing and then read a completely warped story by the MAJORITY of the press. Very disturbing to say the least. So I am forced, and have the time, to analyze it myself, with what I hope is accurate data. Best I can do.

The virus is getting out of hand in the southern states. Remember last spring when our so called experts said "sunlight and heat" kill the virus quickly? Remember them saying protestors were not really spreading the virus because they were outdoors. Asymptomatic do not spread the virus. Now in Michigan, beach gatherings, in the sun and heat, are blamed for outbreaks. WTF??? Were they wrong again??

So my point is this; The H1N1 of 2009 infected over 60 million U.S. Citizens and then never really went away. Not as dangerous as COVID, for sure, but it did affect college football and it did kill college age students more than the elderly. Life went on.

Now we have 3.5 million cases. Are we going to hit 60 mil again? Maybe 30 mil?? How long do you suppose this will be a threat? One year, three years, maybe 5-10 years?? I feel we need to make it manageable (not even close yet, I know), protect the higher risk individuals and life goes on. 

Since 2000, 30 NCAA football players have died just playing/practicing football. Little over 1.5 a year. MAYBE CFB should be banned altogether.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #55

There I go again, reciting deaths at the end of my post. Guess I should mentioned all the permanent injuries, concussions too.

an_lightWhat I am saying is we have lost perspective on a great many things. an_light

peace

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #56

UNI to be fair you are unknowingly highlighting every single reason why college football won't be played.  We, as in the medical community, still don't know a lot about this new virus.  6 months is a short period of time in the world of science.  DU is right, people not wearing masks is only prolonging the shut down of life as we know it.  The evidence today suggests no/mild symptom cases are the ones driving the spread.  The evidence also suggests facial coverings drastically reduce the droplets being expelled by infected individuals.  

If people would adhere to wearing masks in crowded spaces for 6 weeks, I think we'd actually be in a really good spot for moving forward with a season.... but not right now. 

Your points of H1N1 comparison are well received and I don't disagree there.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #57

Hockeynight, I hope your right about the masks and distancing being the answer to slowing it. I have no problem with either and been that way since it started. Just will not accept gloom & doom, rather see a glass more half full than half empty.

Your right that 6 months is limited time for science to figure this virus out. We have no choice than to "roll with the changes" such as "masks not needed", now a must, "indoors biggest threat", outdoors now too, asymptomatic do not spread it, now they do; https://www.healthline.com/health-news/even-asymptomatic-people-can-spread-covid-19-within-a-room

"Sunshine and heat kill it, should see a lull over summer and a resurgence in fall", we all see how that turned out.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #58

Yep.  That’s why I said this isn’t “the flu.”  It’s not gonna come and go in waves, it’s gonna burn as people gather and give it a good avenue to spread.

we had and continue to have theories/hypotheses that are being proven wrong just like you mentioned with the weather. I think it’s very evident distance is a key component, as well as minimizing respiratory droplets (masks).  

6 weeks gets us to point where I feel they could make a confident decision that there is no wide spread transmission and football could be played at some point.  That’s assuming literally everyone buys into the mask concept which prob won’t happen.

That doesn’t mean masks will go away in 6 weeks & covid will cease to exist.  It just gets us to a point where things are not contained & we can’t do things like sporting events.  The real return to “normal” will be when one of these vaccines is approved and available for distribution.  As of now there is confidence in masks and distance, not much else as far as medicines.  That perspective from the medical folks (the ones advising these sports decisions) will change once we feel confident in a vaccine that’ll put an end to this burning like wildfire covid outbreak.  If we’re lucky, we’ll get something November/December timeframe.  

moderna 

Pfizer 

AstraZeneca 

three potential candidates right there that could have something available by years end.  Keep fingers crossed & I hope I’m pleasantly surprised and I get to watch some college football this fall 

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #59

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyNight11:

Yep.  That’s why I said this isn’t “the flu.”  It’s not gonna come and go in waves, it’s gonna burn as people gather and give it a good avenue to spread. we had and continue to have theories/hypotheses that are being proven wrong just like you mentioned with the weather. I think it’s very evident distance is a key component, as well as minimizing respiratory droplets (masks).   6 weeks gets us to point where I feel they could make a confident decision that there is no wide spread transmission and football could be played at some point.  That’s assuming literally everyone buys into the mask concept which prob won’t happen. That doesn’t mean masks will go away in 6 weeks & covid will cease to exist.  It just gets us to a point where things are not contained & we can’t do things like sporting events.  The real return to “normal” will be when one of these vaccines is approved and available for distribution.  As of now there is confidence in masks and distance, not much else as far as medicines.  That perspective from the medical folks (the ones advising these sports decisions) will change once we feel confident in a vaccine that’ll put an end to this burning like wildfire covid outbreak.  If we’re lucky, we’ll get something November/December timeframe.   moderna  Pfizer  AstraZeneca    three potential candidates right there that could have something available by years end.  Keep fingers crossed & I hope I’m pleasantly surprised and I get to watch some college football this fall

When Flu season gets here , If you work in the ER ,

you're really gonna be busy this year.

The Harder you Work , the Luckier you'll get

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #60

Quote Originally Posted by WISEGUY36:

When Flu season gets here , If you work in the ER , you're really gonna be busy this year.

Ha! We'll see.  Could go one of two ways... 

1) People will be wearing masks & distancing that'll be effective for the flu as well.

2) People don't & we have no idea initial presentation flu vs covid and its utter chaos.

It was weird when this all started and MI had the stay home order we went from a very busy flu season to seeing almost no flu cases.  Should just be further proof that masks & distance aren't infringing on anybodies rights... it's just good public health practice when droplet/respiratory illnesses are present. 

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #61

Spam is here, even when season is toast, go figure!

Double, I read everything you said. Your 2% prediction spot on.

Frustrating when Michigan and Michigan St pretty much virus free at this point. 

Stay safe!

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #62

Hockeynight, have you noticed the Worldometer site consistently overstates Michigan's reported cases?? 

7/11 mich. reports 653, Worldometer 685

7/12 mich. 390 Worldometer 406

7/13 mich. 384  to 422

7/14 mich. 584 to 666

7/15 mich. 891. 1049

Michigan totals 71,197 cases, Worldometer 78913 cases, deaths 6085 to 6330

I see Wisconsin is slightly under reported. Wisc. reports 41,615 cases to Worldometer has 38727.

Wonder how they get their numbers???

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #63

Pay close attention to the Oxford U vaccine.  Phase 1 results will be published Monday.  Phase 2/3 is ongoing.  They’re mass producing this candidate already & could be widely available by September. 

would be major breakthrough on so many levels.

More importantly (For this forum) it would make a football season a more realistic possibility since most restrictions would be gone with a safe/effective vaccine. Not sure how many doses the US would get right away either but exciting stuff. 

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #64

Hockeynight, have you noticed the Worldometer site consistently overstates Michigan's reported cases??  7/11 mich. reports 653, Worldometer 685 7/12 mich. 390 Worldometer 406 7/13 mich. 384  to 422 7/14 mich. 584 to 666 7/15 mich. 891. 1049 Michigan totals 71,197 cases, Worldometer 78913 cases, deaths 6085 to 6330 I see Wisconsin is slightly under reported. Wisc. reports 41,615 cases to Worldometer has 38727. Wonder how they get their numbers???

Yes and I really haven’t looked into the reporting methods for them.  Close enough though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.hindustantimes.com/science/double-defence-oxford-university-covid-19-vaccine-s-early-trial-results-raise-hopes/story-fr87wUMFFW5GGWzRh64A0H_amp.html

This is the literal one shot we have at seeing some return to normalcy in the fall.  This would be an unbelievable achievement.

Captain
Participation Meter
Posted: #65

+1 peace_5

Quote Originally Posted by thorpe: I think they move it to Spring before the cancel the year entirely.  And for all we know, the NFL season could be moved back too which would move back the combine and draft.  Cancelling a season is a nightmare scenario for NCAA because of the scholarships (among other reasons).  The cost of scholarships across D1 for the senior class is more than 200 million dollars. I cant see anything being better in the spring ...NY had the highest infection rate and now possibly the lowest by far per capita ..Too many states are full of people who refuse to wear masks and socially distance ...My dumb fack cousins in Florida are still partying ..Even after one their friends died ( 32 yr old ) ...

LonghornHoosier

Captain
Participation Meter
Posted: #66

Uniman - you are delusional about college football, and obviously partisan with the Michigan reporting numbers conspiracy theory...You  need to get off this "willful, there must be college football", and have some freaking empathy for the victims, and those very college players and coaches who would put their lives at stake.    And Like Double referenced, even if you survive, your life and health prospects could be permanently impacted.   If you absolutely need something to research and to bet on, you should look at European soccer or research the new dynamic in MLB and NBA for angles...I have done well in the English Premier League, and Italy Series A.   

LonghornHoosier

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #67

Quote Originally Posted by LonghornHoosier:

Uniman - you are delusional about college football, and obviously partisan with the Michigan reporting numbers conspiracy theory...You  need to get off this "willful, there must be college football", and have some freaking empathy for the victims, and those very college players and coaches who would put their lives at stake.    And Like Double referenced, even if you survive, your life and health prospects could be permanently impacted.   If you absolutely need something to research and to bet on, you should look at European soccer or research the new dynamic in MLB and NBA for angles...I have done well in the English Premier League, and Italy Series A.

You just couldn't keep your mouth shut, could you. You make me laugh! 

I only asked Hockeynight if he saw the same thing about a websites numbers and maybe knew where they came from. Pointed out Wisconsin had numbers under reported. Michigan website has different numbers, that's all. Michigan website has great graphs too, I like it.

CFB may still happen in some form. Always hope. Try asking the players what they want.

When have I ever not have empathy for "victims", and specifically what victims are you talking about??

Here are a group of quotes from you from last 30 days;

"Perhaps if some of these neanderthal's actually read your posts, they would join me in conveying  sympathy."

"imbeciles spreading false information with a political agenda, at the behest of their leader,"

"You guys are spouting BS "

"I am done with you clowns.."

"I regret some of my name calling,"

an_babyTHEN WHY DON'T YOU STOP THE NAME CALLING????????an_baby

TRY CONTRIBUTING SOMETHING/ANYTHING TO THIS SITE BESIDES NAME CALLING AND DEMANDS

Captain
Participation Meter
Posted: #68

Go F yourself...You can keep on the delusion if you wish...You are losing cred hear by the day with your rants...

Quote Originally Posted by LonghornHoosier: Uniman - you are delusional about college football, and obviously partisan with the Michigan reporting numbers conspiracy theory...You  need to get off this "willful, there must be college football", and have some freaking empathy for the victims, and those very college players and coaches who would put their lives at stake.    And Like Double referenced, even if you survive, your life and health prospects could be permanently impacted.   If you absolutely need something to research and to bet on, you should look at European soccer or research the new dynamic in MLB and NBA for angles...I have done well in the English Premier League, and Italy Series A. You just couldn't keep your mouth shut, could you. You make me laugh!  I only asked Hockeynight if he saw the same thing about a websites numbers and maybe knew where they came from. Pointed out Wisconsin had numbers under reported. Michigan website has different numbers, that's all. Michigan website has great graphs too, I like it. CFB may still happen in some form. Always hope. Try asking the players what they want. When have I ever not have empathy for "victims", and specifically what victims are you talking about?? Here are a group of quotes from you from last 30 days; "Perhaps if some of these neanderthal's actually read your posts, they would join me in conveying  sympathy." "imbeciles spreading false information with a political agenda, at the behest of their leader," "You guys are spouting BS " "I am done with you clowns.." "I regret some of my name calling,"   THEN WHY DON'T YOU STOP THE NAME CALLING???????? TRY CONTRIBUTING SOMETHING/ANYTHING TO THIS SITE BESIDES NAME CALLING AND DEMANDS

LonghornHoosier

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #69

There will officially be college football.  LHH returned “when football is back” ????

Thats the optimistic outlook I need today

All-Star
Participation Meter
Posted: #70

DU, FYI, 5Dimes is not doing a good job on their WNBA futures.  A number of star players are sitting out the season but they haven't adjusted their lines at all.

EG: Washington lost their 2 best players and 2 more good players

The one team that hasn't lost a player is Seattle.  They are +400.  They lost their coach but that doesn't matter a lot.  If I had an account there still, I'd put a couple hundred on it.  

All-Star
Participation Meter
Posted: #71

Seneca is doing a worse job - Seattle is +500 there....I might have to take a trip...

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #72

Seneca is doing a worse job - Seattle is +500 there....I might have to take a trip...

Thanks for the advice ... I went to Seneca ..Down for $208

All-Star
Participation Meter
Posted: #73

Quote Originally Posted by thorpe: Seneca is doing a worse job - Seattle is +500 there....I might have to take a trip...   Thanks for the advice ... I went to Seneca ..Down for $208

Cool, will give me a future to root for if I can't make it to Seneca...gotta like Seattle's chance with the best player in the league Stewart.  

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #74

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp4Life: Quote Originally Posted by thorpe: Seneca is doing a worse job - Seattle is +500 there....I might have to take a trip...   Thanks for the advice ... I went to Seneca ..Down for $208   Cool, will give me a future to root for if I can't make it to Seneca...gotta like Seattle's chance with the best player in the league Stewart.

I needed some Futures to Root for ...

Also got down on the NUGGETS to win the WESTERN CONFERENCE  at 12-1 for $334.50 ....Been watching their practices , seem intense ...Loaded with talent that plays physical and aggressive 

All-Star
Participation Meter
Posted: #75

Seattle is down to +300.  I'd still bet it there.  +500 was a steal.

Covers 25 Years Logo Established in 1995,
Covers is the world
leader in sports
betting information.
Covers is verified safe by: Evalon Logo GPWA Logo GDPR Logo GeoTrust Logo Evalon Logo