Posted:
#1
was from a bookmaker named Irish Dave (aka Dangerous Dave) who hung out down at the barber shop that I used to go to. Nice, older guy...jovial/Santa Claus-ish almost, but nonetheless very much connected
, with a booming voice that you'd always hear waaaay before you ever saw him (not that any of this is integral to my story but just trying to create an image, that's all).
Anyway, since I was a kid back then (20 yrs old maybe?) he'd always tell me to stay away from gambling because, as he put it, it was a suckers game and a losing proposition in the long run. He'd always remind me to not get involved with it and he'd tell me the same thing all the time probably because he know that I "had the fever" as he used to call it and he didn't want me to get into any trouble.
But I'll always remember one thing he told me about betting the NBA as he found it to be true (having laid/taken bets for years and years). He said when a team's #1 or even #2 star (in terms of scoring) gets injured, don't bet against the team on their 1st road game but bet against them on their 2nd road game (assuming it follows consecutively the 1st road game)...
Its been about 20 years since he told me that and I've placed no more than maybe a total 15 bets in the NBA (only because I hate the whole pro basketball product with a passion for reasons too numerous to mention here...but I digress). In each and every one of those 15 or so occasions, it was the identical situational scenario that he had described to me. Without hyperbole, being a wiseguy or simply making stuff up, all but I think 2 times (of 15) he was dead on and I won the bet.
If you have gotten to this point and are still reading my crappy attempt to "help out" with some anecdotal advice that has virtually (almost) never failed, then be advised that tomorrow (Monday at 1pm EDT) is just this same scenario.
@Boston Celtics (-2.5) vs Atlanta Hawks
You NBA junkies know more about this shi t than I do but suffice to say Al Horford leads the Hawks in scoring (and rebounding) and was injured 4 nights ago (out for season). Simply put there is no more valuable player on ANY team (based on statistics anyway) than Horford is to the Hawks Atlanta played their 1st road game without Horford (and lost 109-102) at Orlando yesterday and tomorrow will be their 2nd consecutive road game without him at Boston.
Celtics (-2.5) Large.
If this comes in and helps you out then cool
.
If it does NOT work out and you want to come back into the thread after the game and tell me thanks for nothing, where can I get 5 minutes of my life back from reading your silly drivel, etc, etc, etc....that's cool with me too.
Best of luck to all...
