• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Investments

    Some sound advice for this forum....buy and hold!

    123 Next Last»
    gambleholic63
    TheGoldenGoose
    baseballfanatic
    OlDirtyBaztid
    JOHNNY_ODAE
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 4306
    Posts: 66
    123 Next Last»
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Oct. 23, 2017 - 3:42 PM ET #1

    I have never ventured into this "Investments" area on Covers but I have offered advice on investing in some of the sports threads, along with a few picks here and there over the years. After reading many of the top threads on investing here, I thought I would give my 2 cents.

    For the most part, I would avoid investing in penny stocks or gold. Gold is not going to compound over decades like the s&p or Nasdaq exchanges and penny stocks are going to leave you with lint in your pockets 99 times out of 100. Penny stocks have and always be prone to manipulation. That is a fact. Unless you are the one doing the manipulation (and don't mind risking a jail sentence), just leave it alone and save yourself the grief. 

    My current situation is roughly 8% cash. I have been looking to invest in spots, but have been reluctant as I think we are nearing the end of an incredible bull market. I did buy 300 shares of the VGK (Europe will do well over the next 2 decades) and made a 5% pop in just over 60 days. Basically you could have thrown darts at the Wall Street Journal stock pages since the election and picked up 20% no matter the holding. Unfortunately, the euphoria will not last forever and I anticipate a correction coming in the next 12 months. 

    With that said, I'm not selling as I believe in the best investment strategy out there...buy and hold.
     

     

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    I have never ventured into this "Investments" area on Covers but I have offered advice on investing in some of the sports threads, along with a few picks here and there over the years. After reading many of the top threads on investing here, I thought I would give my 2 cents.

    For the most part, I would avoid investing in penny stocks or gold. Gold is not going to compound over decades like the s&p or Nasdaq exchanges and penny stocks are going to leave you with lint in your pockets 99 times out of 100. Penny stocks have and always be prone to manipulation. That is a fact. Unless you are the one doing the manipulation (and don't mind risking a jail sentence), just leave it alone and save yourself the grief. 

    My current situation is roughly 8% cash. I have been looking to invest in spots, but have been reluctant as I think we are nearing the end of an incredible bull market. I did buy 300 shares of the VGK (Europe will do well over the next 2 decades) and made a 5% pop in just over 60 days. Basically you could have thrown darts at the Wall Street Journal stock pages since the election and picked up 20% no matter the holding. Unfortunately, the euphoria will not last forever and I anticipate a correction coming in the next 12 months. 

    With that said, I'm not selling as I believe in the best investment strategy out there...buy and hold.
     

     

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Oct. 23, 2017 - 4:00 PM ET #2

    So....why "buy and hold"? I don't attempt to time the market for 3 basic reasons. 

    1) You have to sell out at the right time. Warren Buffet himself will tell you he can't even do it. If he can't, how can I? 

    Anyone that thought the bull was dead in January and picked that time to get out has missed out on a 20-25% upswing. Realistically, that's more than any "correction" is likely to wipe out (2008-2009 is unlikely to occur in the lifetime of anyone reading this today). 

    2) Tax implications. Unless you are trading in a 401k or SEP (or other tax deferred account), you will take a 15% tax hit on your profits. This 15% dramatically constricts the advantages of compounding your investments over time. Trading in a tax deferred account is fine, but still leaves you vulnerable to points 1 & 3. 

    3) You have to get back in at the right time and this is the MOST DIFFICULT part of the process. When everyone is selling, you need to be buying and that requires a ton of knowledge and nerves of steel.

    Back in 2009, in a series of purchases, I began buying BOA at $3 a share when talks of "bank nationalization" was the rage. I didn't buy into that theory, but only bought 1500 shares. Today, at $27, of course I wish I had bought 10,000 shares but I lacked the confidence to commit such a large amount of money with incomplete information.   

    So....my advice....summed up. Just buy good stocks and hold them for decades. It's a strategy that virtually guarantees success!

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply
    So....why "buy and hold"? I don't attempt to time the market for 3 basic reasons. 

    1) You have to sell out at the right time. Warren Buffet himself will tell you he can't even do it. If he can't, how can I? 

    Anyone that thought the bull was dead in January and picked that time to get out has missed out on a 20-25% upswing. Realistically, that's more than any "correction" is likely to wipe out (2008-2009 is unlikely to occur in the lifetime of anyone reading this today). 

    2) Tax implications. Unless you are trading in a 401k or SEP (or other tax deferred account), you will take a 15% tax hit on your profits. This 15% dramatically constricts the advantages of compounding your investments over time. Trading in a tax deferred account is fine, but still leaves you vulnerable to points 1 & 3. 

    3) You have to get back in at the right time and this is the MOST DIFFICULT part of the process. When everyone is selling, you need to be buying and that requires a ton of knowledge and nerves of steel.

    Back in 2009, in a series of purchases, I began buying BOA at $3 a share when talks of "bank nationalization" was the rage. I didn't buy into that theory, but only bought 1500 shares. Today, at $27, of course I wish I had bought 10,000 shares but I lacked the confidence to commit such a large amount of money with incomplete information.   

    So....my advice....summed up. Just buy good stocks and hold them for decades. It's a strategy that virtually guarantees success!

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Oct. 27, 2017 - 1:18 PM ET #3

    Maybe you need more evidence of buy and hold?

    In 2004 I invested $3,400 in Google shortly after it's IPO. The IPO was at $85 but no one without connections could buy at that price. I watched it soar during the first few days of trading and finally bought 15 shares at $228. It has since split, so my 30 shares today is now worth $31,200.

    Why chase these penny stocks when you can buy solid companies?


    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply
    Maybe you need more evidence of buy and hold?

    In 2004 I invested $3,400 in Google shortly after it's IPO. The IPO was at $85 but no one without connections could buy at that price. I watched it soar during the first few days of trading and finally bought 15 shares at $228. It has since split, so my 30 shares today is now worth $31,200.

    Why chase these penny stocks when you can buy solid companies?


     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Nov. 2, 2017 - 3:34 AM ET #4


    If you were to chase a few penny stocks please give me a few.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    If you were to chase a few penny stocks please give me a few.
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Nov. 2, 2017 - 12:34 PM ET #5

    I never chase penny stocks brother. I feel that it is a tremendous hog of time and generally fruitless. I feel that it is wrong to encourage others to get involved in them when ANY patient investor can become a millionaire by buying good companies and being patient.
    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply
    I never chase penny stocks brother. I feel that it is a tremendous hog of time and generally fruitless. I feel that it is wrong to encourage others to get involved in them when ANY patient investor can become a millionaire by buying good companies and being patient.
     
    baseballfanatic
    baseballfanatic
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 1828
    Posted: Nov. 3, 2017 - 6:40 PM ET #6

    Some of the most sensible and well-constructed advice in any forum on Covers.

    Spot on mate.

    Well done with your successes to date.

    Cheers

    BF
    Reply
    Some of the most sensible and well-constructed advice in any forum on Covers.

    Spot on mate.

    Well done with your successes to date.

    Cheers

    BF
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Nov. 4, 2017 - 2:36 AM ET #7

    Thanks fanatic! I posted this after reading post after post about pennies and thought I would post something more useful. Anyone that doubts they can be successful doing it the right way should start by recording the Fast Money show on CNBC everyday. Watch the show, take notes, and then put in the time doing your own research. Anyone can do it! Good luck in all your investments!


    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply
    Thanks fanatic! I posted this after reading post after post about pennies and thought I would post something more useful. Anyone that doubts they can be successful doing it the right way should start by recording the Fast Money show on CNBC everyday. Watch the show, take notes, and then put in the time doing your own research. Anyone can do it! Good luck in all your investments!


     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2017 - 1:30 AM ET #8


    gamblholic:  I would like to hear you expound on options strategies.  Puts and calls and how they can help strengthen a portfolio.  Surely they are weapons in your investment arsenal. 
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    gamblholic:  I would like to hear you expound on options strategies.  Puts and calls and how they can help strengthen a portfolio.  Surely they are weapons in your investment arsenal. 
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2017 - 4:47 PM ET #9

    Unfortunately Goose, my results with playing options are poor and I have left it alone as I have accepted that it's not my game. I told everyone that would listen to short Blue Apron at $10 but didn't even do it myself. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply
    Unfortunately Goose, my results with playing options are poor and I have left it alone as I have accepted that it's not my game. I told everyone that would listen to short Blue Apron at $10 but didn't even do it myself. 

     
    OlDirtyBaztid
    OlDirtyBaztid
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2017
    Posts: 10649
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2017 - 8:59 PM ET #10

    righton with the penny stocks, bro. it's for college kids and cab drivers. along with forex. i used to work at the CBOT for a few years selling trading education on futures. because of the volatility, many were drawn into penny stocks... and because it was cheap. that is the equivalent of continuously trying to hit 8 leg parlays. manipulated, as well. OTC anything is risky business in my book. how the hell is anyone able to really know where the bid and ask is with no true indication of volume? you def. hit the nail on the head
    No team is as good as it looks when winning nor are they as bad as they look when losing
    Reply
    righton with the penny stocks, bro. it's for college kids and cab drivers. along with forex. i used to work at the CBOT for a few years selling trading education on futures. because of the volatility, many were drawn into penny stocks... and because it was cheap. that is the equivalent of continuously trying to hit 8 leg parlays. manipulated, as well. OTC anything is risky business in my book. how the hell is anyone able to really know where the bid and ask is with no true indication of volume? you def. hit the nail on the head
     
    JOHNNY_ODAE
    JOHNNY_ODAE
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2011
    Posts: 2605
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2017 - 4:37 PM ET #11

    And always pull profits off the table and buy or share with someone you love or like.!! My Dad taught me this in the early 70's. Having the most money means nothing if you can't enjoy it. You are rewarding hard work and diligence when you pay yourself!! Never saw a armoured car in a funeral line. I totally agree Blue Chips are best but all companies start nowhere near that. And kids 2018 is gonna be a blast!!!
    Reply
    And always pull profits off the table and buy or share with someone you love or like.!! My Dad taught me this in the early 70's. Having the most money means nothing if you can't enjoy it. You are rewarding hard work and diligence when you pay yourself!! Never saw a armoured car in a funeral line. I totally agree Blue Chips are best but all companies start nowhere near that. And kids 2018 is gonna be a blast!!!
     
    sfg8
    sfg8
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2012
    Posts: 628
    Posted: Dec. 2, 2017 - 5:15 PM ET #12

    Good sound advise Gamble ...wish i'd have followed it back in the 90's when i had FDX in the mid $20's/ AAPL in the mid teens/ NFLX about $7/// plenty more but u get the idea....add all the SPLITS a few of these companies had i'd probably have a portfolio  in the $10M- $15M or more range....But sh*t happens and the portfolio not even clse to that level...let's see how much longer this market can last...then add up the chips ...
    Reply
    Good sound advise Gamble ...wish i'd have followed it back in the 90's when i had FDX in the mid $20's/ AAPL in the mid teens/ NFLX about $7/// plenty more but u get the idea....add all the SPLITS a few of these companies had i'd probably have a portfolio  in the $10M- $15M or more range....But sh*t happens and the portfolio not even clse to that level...let's see how much longer this market can last...then add up the chips ...
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Dec. 3, 2017 - 12:51 AM ET #13

    Thanks sfg. Sounds like you have done very well regardless.

    In a market where everything is pushing 52 week highs, I really like IBM currently at $154.76 as of closing on Friday. While I am not a believer in Bitcoin at its current lofty levels, the blockchain technology (BCT) it is based on is here to stay. IBM is heavily invested in BCT software and hardware solutions and it the biggest player in the USA. IBM is coming out of a decade long decline that has seen it's stock price decline from $215 in 2008-2009 and remains down roughly 10% for the year. 

    In the mid 150's you are getting an excellent dividend with a company that is in the 8th inning of a long turnaround plan AND exposure to blockchain technology without worrying if Bitcoin will be the crypto that ends up winning in the end.
    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply
    Thanks sfg. Sounds like you have done very well regardless.

    In a market where everything is pushing 52 week highs, I really like IBM currently at $154.76 as of closing on Friday. While I am not a believer in Bitcoin at its current lofty levels, the blockchain technology (BCT) it is based on is here to stay. IBM is heavily invested in BCT software and hardware solutions and it the biggest player in the USA. IBM is coming out of a decade long decline that has seen it's stock price decline from $215 in 2008-2009 and remains down roughly 10% for the year. 

    In the mid 150's you are getting an excellent dividend with a company that is in the 8th inning of a long turnaround plan AND exposure to blockchain technology without worrying if Bitcoin will be the crypto that ends up winning in the end.
     
    Sakis_The_Greek
    Sakis_The_Greek
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2017
    Posts: 279
    Posted: Dec. 15, 2017 - 1:56 AM ET #14

    gambleholic63

    Thanks for the insightful thread and posts. I too am a huge believer in BUY and HOLD FOREVER as that strategy has served me well over the years. 

    A very interesting crypto angle on IBM. Question, does it concern you that Berkshire and Buffet unloaded a ton of IBM during calendar year 2017? Are you still bullish on IBM despite that fact. 
    Reply
    gambleholic63

    Thanks for the insightful thread and posts. I too am a huge believer in BUY and HOLD FOREVER as that strategy has served me well over the years. 

    A very interesting crypto angle on IBM. Question, does it concern you that Berkshire and Buffet unloaded a ton of IBM during calendar year 2017? Are you still bullish on IBM despite that fact. 
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Dec. 15, 2017 - 2:17 AM ET #15

    I can't blame Buffet for his impatience. IBM has been a dog. With that said, Buffett is still heavily invested. As I stated, the turnaround is not yet complete and like all investments patience is required. You are collecting a 4 plus percentage dividend with downside protection while you wait. That's a good gig!


    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply
    I can't blame Buffet for his impatience. IBM has been a dog. With that said, Buffett is still heavily invested. As I stated, the turnaround is not yet complete and like all investments patience is required. You are collecting a 4 plus percentage dividend with downside protection while you wait. That's a good gig!


     
    Sakis_The_Greek
    Sakis_The_Greek
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2017
    Posts: 279
    Posted: Dec. 15, 2017 - 9:41 AM ET #16

    Thanks for prompt response. Agreed. Did some more digging and some speculate Buffet sold for tax purposes (write-offs) but to your point still holds 35 million some odd shares. It is a solid play for long-term no doubt. 
    Reply
    Thanks for prompt response. Agreed. Did some more digging and some speculate Buffet sold for tax purposes (write-offs) but to your point still holds 35 million some odd shares. It is a solid play for long-term no doubt. 
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 4, 2018 - 3:46 PM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by gambleholic63:

    Thanks sfg. Sounds like you have done very well regardless. In a market where everything is pushing 52 week highs, I really like IBM currently at $154.76 as of closing on Friday. While I am not a believer in Bitcoin at its current lofty levels, the blockchain technology (BCT) it is based on is here to stay. IBM is heavily invested in BCT software and hardware solutions and it the biggest player in the USA. IBM is coming out of a decade long decline that has seen it's stock price decline from $215 in 2008-2009 and remains down roughly 10% for the year. In the mid 150's you are getting an excellent dividend with a company that is in the 8th inning of a long turnaround plan AND exposure to blockchain technology without worrying if Bitcoin will be the crypto that ends up winning in the end.

    IBM is now at $162 going into the close on 1/4. They have been working on this turnaround for nearly a decade and it will happen eventually. Check out the 20 year chart. Check out the dividend (4% while you wait). If you bought at $154.76 you just picked up roughly 5% in a month. Along with my earlier recommendations on this forum (XLF, BAC, VGK, SHPG), IBM is soaring! Let's make that $$$$$$.

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by gambleholic63:

    Thanks sfg. Sounds like you have done very well regardless. In a market where everything is pushing 52 week highs, I really like IBM currently at $154.76 as of closing on Friday. While I am not a believer in Bitcoin at its current lofty levels, the blockchain technology (BCT) it is based on is here to stay. IBM is heavily invested in BCT software and hardware solutions and it the biggest player in the USA. IBM is coming out of a decade long decline that has seen it's stock price decline from $215 in 2008-2009 and remains down roughly 10% for the year. In the mid 150's you are getting an excellent dividend with a company that is in the 8th inning of a long turnaround plan AND exposure to blockchain technology without worrying if Bitcoin will be the crypto that ends up winning in the end.

    IBM is now at $162 going into the close on 1/4. They have been working on this turnaround for nearly a decade and it will happen eventually. Check out the 20 year chart. Check out the dividend (4% while you wait). If you bought at $154.76 you just picked up roughly 5% in a month. Along with my earlier recommendations on this forum (XLF, BAC, VGK, SHPG), IBM is soaring! Let's make that $$$$$$.

     
    sfg8
    sfg8
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2012
    Posts: 628
    Posted: Jan. 4, 2018 - 5:19 PM ET #18

    Here a BUY& HOLD for everyone GE(General Electric.) I've established a position in the $17.70's about a week and a half ago...Still like it in the $18's though..Talk about a several year turn around ..this is it ..plus you add in the dividend of about 2.7% this is very low risk imho... I know they've replaced their CEO this past year with plans to divest out of several ares to get into the aerospace/ health care space...both of these areas are in  up trends going forward...along with the dividend i think GE will  have returns in the double digits..in 2018...not sure i'll HOLD forever though since i'm a trader if i can get a nice 30%-50% plus return...I'm out onto my next play...works for me....Can't go broke taking profits is the ol saying...BOL
    Reply
    Here a BUY& HOLD for everyone GE(General Electric.) I've established a position in the $17.70's about a week and a half ago...Still like it in the $18's though..Talk about a several year turn around ..this is it ..plus you add in the dividend of about 2.7% this is very low risk imho... I know they've replaced their CEO this past year with plans to divest out of several ares to get into the aerospace/ health care space...both of these areas are in  up trends going forward...along with the dividend i think GE will  have returns in the double digits..in 2018...not sure i'll HOLD forever though since i'm a trader if i can get a nice 30%-50% plus return...I'm out onto my next play...works for me....Can't go broke taking profits is the ol saying...BOL
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 4, 2018 - 6:53 PM ET #19

    Quote Originally Posted by sfg8:

    Here a BUY& HOLD for everyone GE(General Electric.) I've established a position in the $17.70's about a week and a half ago...Still like it in the $18's though..Talk about a several year turn around ..this is it ..plus you add in the dividend of about 2.7% this is very low risk imho... I know they've replaced their CEO this past year with plans to divest out of several ares to get into the aerospace/ health care space...both of these areas are in  up trends going forward...along with the dividend i think GE will  have returns in the double digits..in 2018...not sure i'll HOLD forever though since i'm a trader if i can get a nice 30%-50% plus return...I'm out onto my next play...works for me....Can't go broke taking profits is the ol saying...BOL

    I actually sold my position in GE earlier this year at $28. I had owned the stock for several years and was disappointed in the last 10 quarters followed by reading some bad news in the Wall Street Journal. I never saw the bottom falling out like it did, so I guess I got a little lucky on my timing. I will say that the CNBC crew on Fast Money doesn't love it. They just did a 10 minute segment on GE today's show. I would say GE is not exploding to the upside anytime soon. They have a long turnaround ahead of them....the 5%+ dividend is nice though. Getting paid to wait is not the worst style of investment. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by sfg8:

    Here a BUY& HOLD for everyone GE(General Electric.) I've established a position in the $17.70's about a week and a half ago...Still like it in the $18's though..Talk about a several year turn around ..this is it ..plus you add in the dividend of about 2.7% this is very low risk imho... I know they've replaced their CEO this past year with plans to divest out of several ares to get into the aerospace/ health care space...both of these areas are in  up trends going forward...along with the dividend i think GE will  have returns in the double digits..in 2018...not sure i'll HOLD forever though since i'm a trader if i can get a nice 30%-50% plus return...I'm out onto my next play...works for me....Can't go broke taking profits is the ol saying...BOL

    I actually sold my position in GE earlier this year at $28. I had owned the stock for several years and was disappointed in the last 10 quarters followed by reading some bad news in the Wall Street Journal. I never saw the bottom falling out like it did, so I guess I got a little lucky on my timing. I will say that the CNBC crew on Fast Money doesn't love it. They just did a 10 minute segment on GE today's show. I would say GE is not exploding to the upside anytime soon. They have a long turnaround ahead of them....the 5%+ dividend is nice though. Getting paid to wait is not the worst style of investment. 

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2018 - 1:13 PM ET #20

    I may have to rethink GE. Warren Buffett indicated on CNBC this morning that he might accumulate shares for his fund, Birkshire Hathaway. If that happens, he will singlehandedly drive GE over 21. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    I may have to rethink GE. Warren Buffett indicated on CNBC this morning that he might accumulate shares for his fund, Birkshire Hathaway. If that happens, he will singlehandedly drive GE over 21. 

     
    sfg8
    sfg8
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2012
    Posts: 628
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2018 - 5:30 PM ET #21

    I'd consider getting back in at these levels Gamble...Alrdy took  about 40-45% haircut last year...worst case i can see is that it'll trade in the low $17's .( and like u say collect the divvie while you wait) ..i'd prob look to SELL on a drop below that level though...look for consolidation at that point....imho this is a LOW risk trade at these levels...i think it'll get back into the low to mid 20's from here...especially if  Uncle Warren starts buying...BOL

    Reply

    I'd consider getting back in at these levels Gamble...Alrdy took  about 40-45% haircut last year...worst case i can see is that it'll trade in the low $17's .( and like u say collect the divvie while you wait) ..i'd prob look to SELL on a drop below that level though...look for consolidation at that point....imho this is a LOW risk trade at these levels...i think it'll get back into the low to mid 20's from here...especially if  Uncle Warren starts buying...BOL

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 11, 2018 - 1:51 PM ET #22

    With these markets setting new highs every day, it's difficult to analyze what the good buys are....then a week later the result ends up being that everything was a good buy. I'm only about 7% cash, but when things are flying, it seems like more.

    The news gets even better today with Wal-Mart increasing it's minimum wage to $11 for all employees. The Trump haters will find it tougher for things to complain about now. Wal-Mart is proving that the new tax reform is going to put more money in the lower and middle classes hands. That will provide a buffer, if not a legitimate boost to consumer spending, which will in turn decrease any chance of a recession popping up in the next 18-24 months. 

    It appears that Trump has created the "GOLDILOCKS" economy where everyone wins. Stocks are poised to soar even higher!

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    With these markets setting new highs every day, it's difficult to analyze what the good buys are....then a week later the result ends up being that everything was a good buy. I'm only about 7% cash, but when things are flying, it seems like more.

    The news gets even better today with Wal-Mart increasing it's minimum wage to $11 for all employees. The Trump haters will find it tougher for things to complain about now. Wal-Mart is proving that the new tax reform is going to put more money in the lower and middle classes hands. That will provide a buffer, if not a legitimate boost to consumer spending, which will in turn decrease any chance of a recession popping up in the next 18-24 months. 

    It appears that Trump has created the "GOLDILOCKS" economy where everyone wins. Stocks are poised to soar even higher!

     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jan. 17, 2018 - 12:33 PM ET #23

    Great thread GH63.  I like your input.  

    Regarding Gold itself, I never really bought it outright, but I do own a favorable amount of Gold miner AUY (39% since December) and FSM Silver miner (Up 17%).  

    Of course, it relies on the price of each PM as well as how each company operates.  

    Dow over 26,000 at the moment.  This could possibly be the biggest bull market in our lifetimes!  Loving it.  
    Reply
    Great thread GH63.  I like your input.  

    Regarding Gold itself, I never really bought it outright, but I do own a favorable amount of Gold miner AUY (39% since December) and FSM Silver miner (Up 17%).  

    Of course, it relies on the price of each PM as well as how each company operates.  

    Dow over 26,000 at the moment.  This could possibly be the biggest bull market in our lifetimes!  Loving it.  
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 17, 2018 - 1:19 PM ET #24

    Slob. This bounceback from yesterday is very impressive. I wasn't really concerned to begin with as any correction should be short lived anyway. The market is ripe for a correction, but corrections during non-recessionary times generally don't have a lasting effect...instead, they are more likely to have more of a boomerrang effect. With growth above 3% for the first time in well over a decade under Trump, the bigger concern is inflation, which the Fed seems to have under control for the time being. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Slob. This bounceback from yesterday is very impressive. I wasn't really concerned to begin with as any correction should be short lived anyway. The market is ripe for a correction, but corrections during non-recessionary times generally don't have a lasting effect...instead, they are more likely to have more of a boomerrang effect. With growth above 3% for the first time in well over a decade under Trump, the bigger concern is inflation, which the Fed seems to have under control for the time being. 

     
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 27, 2018 - 12:42 AM ET #25

    What a month January has been! Tax reform is fueling increasing wages while corporations are bringing billions back into the USA to invest in America. This is the most glorious bull market of our lifetime. Consumer spending is not going to miss a beat in 2018, and being 72% of GNP tells me that a recession is completely off the table in 2018-2019. 

    I hesitate to recommend initiating new positions at these levels, but it seems as if this market wants to soar higher. Brokers are taking longer than ever to fill large buy orders due to a lack of sellers. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    What a month January has been! Tax reform is fueling increasing wages while corporations are bringing billions back into the USA to invest in America. This is the most glorious bull market of our lifetime. Consumer spending is not going to miss a beat in 2018, and being 72% of GNP tells me that a recession is completely off the table in 2018-2019. 

    I hesitate to recommend initiating new positions at these levels, but it seems as if this market wants to soar higher. Brokers are taking longer than ever to fill large buy orders due to a lack of sellers. 

    All Forums | Investments
    123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,284
    • PART DEUX 221
    • Steelers vs Browns in-game live TNF 2,114
    • Cleveland Bettors 2,663
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 30,252
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 12,149
    • Happening just recently . . . 36,844
    • We have picked a terrible time to have the stupidest president ever 30,587
    • Friday 10/02/2026 676
    • Week 5 Money 5,352

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.