• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Eagles-Jaguars Leans
      • NFL Week 5 Odds
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Thoughts That Come To You

    «First Previous 171819 ... 212223 Next Last»
    Midnight1
    Daddy_Freddie
    StumpTownStu
    april420
    pittsburghphil
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 2296
    Posts: 571
    «First Previous 171819 ... 212223 Next Last»
     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 11, 2025 - 11:12 PM ET #401

    Parenting is not an exact science but if you don't address behavioral issues immediately like our neighbors across the canal, the problems will only get worse IMO.

    Every Tuesday & Saturday our kids had to clean up their rooms. One Tuesday night my son had not cleaned up his room. S0 my wife decided to offer our daughter a dollar to clean his room.

    Each Saturday morning our kids would receive their $5 weekly allowance but on that Saturday my son learned a big lesson. Instead of receiving $5 he received $4 & instead of receiving $5 dollars our daughter received #$6. We never had a problem with him cleaning his room again.

    It wasn't about the money for us but rather teaching them to accept responsibility for their actions without any warnings or reminders. Now I don't know how that approach would work in today's society & we would probably get lambasted on social media for our actions but I have to say our kids have grown up to be productive members of society. So we must have done some other things right along the way while also being very very lucky. 

    Reply

    Parenting is not an exact science but if you don't address behavioral issues immediately like our neighbors across the canal, the problems will only get worse IMO.

    Every Tuesday & Saturday our kids had to clean up their rooms. One Tuesday night my son had not cleaned up his room. S0 my wife decided to offer our daughter a dollar to clean his room.

    Each Saturday morning our kids would receive their $5 weekly allowance but on that Saturday my son learned a big lesson. Instead of receiving $5 he received $4 & instead of receiving $5 dollars our daughter received #$6. We never had a problem with him cleaning his room again.

    It wasn't about the money for us but rather teaching them to accept responsibility for their actions without any warnings or reminders. Now I don't know how that approach would work in today's society & we would probably get lambasted on social media for our actions but I have to say our kids have grown up to be productive members of society. So we must have done some other things right along the way while also being very very lucky. 

     
    Daddy_Freddie
    Daddy_Freddie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1916
    Posted: Aug. 11, 2025 - 11:20 PM ET #402

    "It wasn't about the money for us but rather teaching them to accept responsibility for their actions without any warnings or reminders" I grew up when life was like this too, but with one caveat, there were reminders when you did not want to accept responsibility or thought you could get away with impertinence...it was called my Dad's belt and it let your butt know just who was in charge here 

    Reply

    "It wasn't about the money for us but rather teaching them to accept responsibility for their actions without any warnings or reminders" I grew up when life was like this too, but with one caveat, there were reminders when you did not want to accept responsibility or thought you could get away with impertinence...it was called my Dad's belt and it let your butt know just who was in charge here 

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 13, 2025 - 5:57 PM ET #403

    This gorgeous babe was in front of me at Staples & evidently she's an internet influencer & was filming herself. She gets to the cashier still filming herself & the cashier dude asked for her number. She smiles into the camera saying "he wants my number." The cashier stops her & says he needs her Staples account number. 

    The look on her face was priceless! 

    OUCH!

    Reply

    This gorgeous babe was in front of me at Staples & evidently she's an internet influencer & was filming herself. She gets to the cashier still filming herself & the cashier dude asked for her number. She smiles into the camera saying "he wants my number." The cashier stops her & says he needs her Staples account number. 

    The look on her face was priceless! 

    OUCH!

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 13, 2025 - 10:17 PM ET #404

    When I was working, I figured out that 2 out of every 5 sick days were taken on a Monday & a Friday.

     

     

    Reply

    When I was working, I figured out that 2 out of every 5 sick days were taken on a Monday & a Friday.

     

     

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 14, 2025 - 3:50 PM ET #405

    Shelley Long in Cheers thumbs_down

    Shelley Long in Troop Beverly Hills thumbs_up

    I was always more of a Kirstie Alley Cheers guy, I think just because of my age. It doesn't make sense to me but that show started before I was born.

    The amount of movies my wife has never seen sometimes amazes me. She's napping and i'm fighting the urge to wake her up to ask if she's ever seen this movie Troop Beverly Hills.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    Shelley Long in Cheers thumbs_down

    Shelley Long in Troop Beverly Hills thumbs_up

    I was always more of a Kirstie Alley Cheers guy, I think just because of my age. It doesn't make sense to me but that show started before I was born.

    The amount of movies my wife has never seen sometimes amazes me. She's napping and i'm fighting the urge to wake her up to ask if she's ever seen this movie Troop Beverly Hills.

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 14, 2025 - 7:04 PM ET #406

    It's been about 3 years since we've fished/anchored up in the Bahamas. I don't think we'll be going back anytime soon.

    The Bahamian government will now charge an entry/cruising fee based on the size of your boat ($500 under 50 ft.; 1k over 50ft) as well as a daily charge for every person over 6 years old of $30; plus $100/$300 for a fishing permit & if you want to anchor up & sleep on your boat it will cost you $200/$350 or 1k if your boat is over 100 ft.

    I think we'll be staying local.

    Reply

    It's been about 3 years since we've fished/anchored up in the Bahamas. I don't think we'll be going back anytime soon.

    The Bahamian government will now charge an entry/cruising fee based on the size of your boat ($500 under 50 ft.; 1k over 50ft) as well as a daily charge for every person over 6 years old of $30; plus $100/$300 for a fishing permit & if you want to anchor up & sleep on your boat it will cost you $200/$350 or 1k if your boat is over 100 ft.

    I think we'll be staying local.

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 17, 2025 - 3:12 PM ET #407

    A young girl of 11 came to the US from Brazil knowing only 2 words of English which were "Mom" & "Thank you." She relied on movies, books & music to learn English. She graduated from high school as the class president & a track star.

    In September she will begin her freshman year at Harvard with a full scholarship & is the first in her family to attend college.

    The American Dream is STILL alive.

    an_clap

     

    Reply

    A young girl of 11 came to the US from Brazil knowing only 2 words of English which were "Mom" & "Thank you." She relied on movies, books & music to learn English. She graduated from high school as the class president & a track star.

    In September she will begin her freshman year at Harvard with a full scholarship & is the first in her family to attend college.

    The American Dream is STILL alive.

    an_clap

     

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 17, 2025 - 4:26 PM ET #408

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    A young girl of 11 came to the US from Brazil knowing only 2 words of English which were "Mom" & "Thank you." She relied on movies, books & music to learn English. She graduated from high school as the class president & a track star. In September she will begin her freshman year at Harvard with a full scholarship & is the first in her family to attend college. The American Dream is STILL alive.

    Did she come here legally?

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    A young girl of 11 came to the US from Brazil knowing only 2 words of English which were "Mom" & "Thank you." She relied on movies, books & music to learn English. She graduated from high school as the class president & a track star. In September she will begin her freshman year at Harvard with a full scholarship & is the first in her family to attend college. The American Dream is STILL alive.

    Did she come here legally?

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 17, 2025 - 10:37 PM ET #409

    @StumpTownStu

    The article isn't clear about that issue.

     https://people.com/high-school-senior-from-brazil-didnt-speak-english-now-going-to-harvard-exclusive-11734720.

     

     

    Reply

    @StumpTownStu

    The article isn't clear about that issue.

     https://people.com/high-school-senior-from-brazil-didnt-speak-english-now-going-to-harvard-exclusive-11734720.

     

     

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 18, 2025 - 5:55 PM ET #410

    Everybody's got their favorite burger joint & most are probably local places. Down here my local joint is Flannigan's which is really known for their ribs & cold beer & great service. Anyway as far the franchises go, we don't have a favorite but Shake Shack is close. Now here's a business idea that has come to ,my mind a couple of times.

    Burger joints we frequent are Shake Shack, Culvers & 5 GUYS. No IN & OUT down here but I tried one in Vegas & it took a long time to get served & I was like "what's the big deal" & that's probably east coast bias talking here. Each of 3 restaurants have something. Shake Shack is the meat, 5_GUYs the fries & Culvers the service. But we can't get all 3 of those categories in any one company.

    I know the restaurant delivery service is saturated but you see we'll provide a special service. We will get the burger @ Shake Shack, fries from 5 GUYS & important service like ensuring packets of sauce, mustard, napkins utensils etc. so you have everything you need. We'll even bring wet naps for your hands & 100 other uses. Do you have a similar situation where you like 3 different quick meals/appetizers that you would pay extra to receive?

    I'd probably pay 20 bucks extra but $10 sounds reasonable to me. Logistics are a nightmare especially in big cities. What are the hidden costs? I suppose this is not a new idea, but shit imagine if it wasn't considered already & we raise the bar by getting you what you want when you want.

    Investors sign up here.

     

    Reply

    Everybody's got their favorite burger joint & most are probably local places. Down here my local joint is Flannigan's which is really known for their ribs & cold beer & great service. Anyway as far the franchises go, we don't have a favorite but Shake Shack is close. Now here's a business idea that has come to ,my mind a couple of times.

    Burger joints we frequent are Shake Shack, Culvers & 5 GUYS. No IN & OUT down here but I tried one in Vegas & it took a long time to get served & I was like "what's the big deal" & that's probably east coast bias talking here. Each of 3 restaurants have something. Shake Shack is the meat, 5_GUYs the fries & Culvers the service. But we can't get all 3 of those categories in any one company.

    I know the restaurant delivery service is saturated but you see we'll provide a special service. We will get the burger @ Shake Shack, fries from 5 GUYS & important service like ensuring packets of sauce, mustard, napkins utensils etc. so you have everything you need. We'll even bring wet naps for your hands & 100 other uses. Do you have a similar situation where you like 3 different quick meals/appetizers that you would pay extra to receive?

    I'd probably pay 20 bucks extra but $10 sounds reasonable to me. Logistics are a nightmare especially in big cities. What are the hidden costs? I suppose this is not a new idea, but shit imagine if it wasn't considered already & we raise the bar by getting you what you want when you want.

    Investors sign up here.

     

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2025 - 12:11 AM ET #411

    @Midnight1

     

     You can do this with doordash and uber eats. And Shake Shack shits on 5 Guys, in my opinion. In n Out is my all-time favorite but I almost never have it anymore. The one here in Oregon is like 45 minutes to an hour away. And the one in SF is is Fisherman's Wharf, where I literally never go.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    @Midnight1

     

     You can do this with doordash and uber eats. And Shake Shack shits on 5 Guys, in my opinion. In n Out is my all-time favorite but I almost never have it anymore. The one here in Oregon is like 45 minutes to an hour away. And the one in SF is is Fisherman's Wharf, where I literally never go.

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 20, 2025 - 10:47 PM ET #412

    You can remove any letter from the word "Seat" and still make a real word.

    an_light

    Reply

    You can remove any letter from the word "Seat" and still make a real word.

    an_light

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 21, 2025 - 2:50 PM ET #413

    I volunteer delivering meals for Meals on Wheels Mon/Wed/Fri from 8am to 11am. One of our responsibilities is to call our central office if a customer doesn't come & open their door to accept their meals. I made a call Wednesday morning regarding a retired fire fighter named Fred who did not answer his door. Fred's a special kind of guy with great jokes & every once in a while, I would bring him a coffee from WAWA because it was his favorite.

    I received my scheduled delivery list for Friday morning & Fred's name wasn't on my list. I called to see why & learned he passed away. They are not allowed to give any other details regarding his passing.

    There are thousands of "Fred's" across our country that need our help. You can register online to volunteer & pick your own shifts to work. You can work as much or as little as you like preparing/packaging or delivering the meals.

    Fred was 86 years young & looking forward to the football season especially the upcoming Notre Dame/Canes game on Labor Day weekend. Something tells me he'll be watching the game from the best possible seat in the house.

    Reply

    I volunteer delivering meals for Meals on Wheels Mon/Wed/Fri from 8am to 11am. One of our responsibilities is to call our central office if a customer doesn't come & open their door to accept their meals. I made a call Wednesday morning regarding a retired fire fighter named Fred who did not answer his door. Fred's a special kind of guy with great jokes & every once in a while, I would bring him a coffee from WAWA because it was his favorite.

    I received my scheduled delivery list for Friday morning & Fred's name wasn't on my list. I called to see why & learned he passed away. They are not allowed to give any other details regarding his passing.

    There are thousands of "Fred's" across our country that need our help. You can register online to volunteer & pick your own shifts to work. You can work as much or as little as you like preparing/packaging or delivering the meals.

    Fred was 86 years young & looking forward to the football season especially the upcoming Notre Dame/Canes game on Labor Day weekend. Something tells me he'll be watching the game from the best possible seat in the house.

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 21, 2025 - 8:04 PM ET #414

    Back in the 90's I worked for a company that was the 1st to install a water chilled IBM mainframe. It was a closed system that just reused the chilled water to keep the system cool as opposed to the conventional underfloor air conditioning. The underfloor ac was used primarily for physically large disk drives, big ass high speed printers & network equipment & phone systems.

    Today the Chicago Sun Times reported "Large data centers, many devoted to researching artificial intelligence, are expected to use more than 150 billion gallons of water across the U.S. over the next five years, according to the advocacy organization Alliance for the Great Lakes."

    That sounded excessive to me until I read the agriculture industry uses 80 billion gallons of water PER DAY. 

    I learn something new almost every day.

    Reply

    Back in the 90's I worked for a company that was the 1st to install a water chilled IBM mainframe. It was a closed system that just reused the chilled water to keep the system cool as opposed to the conventional underfloor air conditioning. The underfloor ac was used primarily for physically large disk drives, big ass high speed printers & network equipment & phone systems.

    Today the Chicago Sun Times reported "Large data centers, many devoted to researching artificial intelligence, are expected to use more than 150 billion gallons of water across the U.S. over the next five years, according to the advocacy organization Alliance for the Great Lakes."

    That sounded excessive to me until I read the agriculture industry uses 80 billion gallons of water PER DAY. 

    I learn something new almost every day.

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 21, 2025 - 8:46 PM ET #415

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    Back in the 90's I worked for a company that was the 1st to install a water chilled IBM mainframe. It was a closed system that just reused the chilled water to keep the system cool as opposed to the conventional underfloor air conditioning. The underfloor ac was used primarily for physically large disk drives, big ass high speed printers & network equipment & phone systems. Today the Chicago Sun Times reported "Large data centers, many devoted to researching artificial intelligence, are expected to use more than 150 billion gallons of water across the U.S. over the next five years, according to the advocacy organization Alliance for the Great Lakes." That sounded excessive to me until I read the agriculture industry uses 80 billion gallons of water PER DAY.  I learn something new almost every day.

    I'm a native Californian. Obviously a huge agricultural state, but also a perpetually drought stricken state. If people knew the amount of water that went into, for instance, growing Almonds for China, in this perpetually droughts stricken state, it would shock you. The amount of water it takes to grow a tree nut is crazy. California water rights is a pretty disheartening situation. The Chinese. The Saudis. Nestlé. It's upsetting. The last drought that I was a full-time resident for, the state was pushing bull jive like, "Let your lawn die." "Don't flush unless it's poop." Crazy shit. Gaslighting the public as if residential consumption wasn't a drop in the bucket of California's water use.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    Back in the 90's I worked for a company that was the 1st to install a water chilled IBM mainframe. It was a closed system that just reused the chilled water to keep the system cool as opposed to the conventional underfloor air conditioning. The underfloor ac was used primarily for physically large disk drives, big ass high speed printers & network equipment & phone systems. Today the Chicago Sun Times reported "Large data centers, many devoted to researching artificial intelligence, are expected to use more than 150 billion gallons of water across the U.S. over the next five years, according to the advocacy organization Alliance for the Great Lakes." That sounded excessive to me until I read the agriculture industry uses 80 billion gallons of water PER DAY.  I learn something new almost every day.

    I'm a native Californian. Obviously a huge agricultural state, but also a perpetually drought stricken state. If people knew the amount of water that went into, for instance, growing Almonds for China, in this perpetually droughts stricken state, it would shock you. The amount of water it takes to grow a tree nut is crazy. California water rights is a pretty disheartening situation. The Chinese. The Saudis. Nestlé. It's upsetting. The last drought that I was a full-time resident for, the state was pushing bull jive like, "Let your lawn die." "Don't flush unless it's poop." Crazy shit. Gaslighting the public as if residential consumption wasn't a drop in the bucket of California's water use.

     
    Daddy_Freddie
    Daddy_Freddie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1916
    Posted: Aug. 22, 2025 - 12:14 AM ET #416

    Midnight 1 said "I received my scheduled delivery list for Friday morning & Fred's name wasn't on my list. I called to see why & learned he passed away. They are not allowed to give any other details regarding his passing".

    This to me is one of the BIGGEST ass kickers in our life that we have to deal with. You go have dinner with friends/companions/associates and there have been times within just hours you get that call that someone has passed, or sometimes it could be over a course of days. I know it's cliche or sometimes a worn-out sentence, we have to appreciate EVERY moment with someone and make as many GREAT memories as you can while you have time to share together 

    Reply

    Midnight 1 said "I received my scheduled delivery list for Friday morning & Fred's name wasn't on my list. I called to see why & learned he passed away. They are not allowed to give any other details regarding his passing".

    This to me is one of the BIGGEST ass kickers in our life that we have to deal with. You go have dinner with friends/companions/associates and there have been times within just hours you get that call that someone has passed, or sometimes it could be over a course of days. I know it's cliche or sometimes a worn-out sentence, we have to appreciate EVERY moment with someone and make as many GREAT memories as you can while you have time to share together 

     
    Daddy_Freddie
    Daddy_Freddie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1916
    Posted: Aug. 22, 2025 - 12:14 AM ET #417

    Thanks Midnight! an_cheers

    Reply

    Thanks Midnight! an_cheers

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 23, 2025 - 9:15 PM ET #418

    When I was working, punctuality was expected of my team members so we could get right to work whenever I finally showed up.

    cool

    Reply

    When I was working, punctuality was expected of my team members so we could get right to work whenever I finally showed up.

    cool

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 24, 2025 - 10:12 AM ET #419

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    When I was working, punctuality was expected of my team members so we could get right to work whenever I finally showed up.

    On time is 15 minutes late.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1:

    When I was working, punctuality was expected of my team members so we could get right to work whenever I finally showed up.

    On time is 15 minutes late.

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 24, 2025 - 3:32 PM ET #420

    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1: When I was working, punctuality was expected of my team members so we could get right to work whenever I finally showed up. On time is 15 minutes late.

    I look at someone being late as disrespectful. Like their time is more important than mine. Ready for a Midnight story?

    I was responsible for a data center when Hurricane Andrew hit South Florida. One of my responsibilities was maintaining/implementing a Disaster Recovery plan that included the various groups in IT. We contracted a company named Comdisco & they would provide us a data center in New Jersey with a carbon copy of our mainframe/network etc. to utilize if we had to evacuate South Florida & shutdown our operations center.

    I called our first "team" meeting for 1 PM with representatives of the various groups that would travel to Comdisco if needed during an emergency. At 1 PM I locked the conference room door & put a sign on it stating "YOU MISSED THE PLANE!" Three people were missing at 1 PM & kept knocking on the door to get entrance which I told those in attendance to ignore. 

    We finished the meeting & when I got back to my office there was a note for me to call my boss. He had heard what I had done & asked "what kind of stunt was that?" I explained that in a disaster we couldn't just shrug off a major fuckup & these people showing up late was a major fuckup. We needed to be a disciplined team so everyone understood the goals, expectations & responsibilities of the team. I reminded him the people on this team received 15% more annual pay for being on the team because they were willing/able to leave their families during a disaster like a hurricane.

    The end result was that we never had a lateness problem for our future meetings & if someone was unable to attend they sent a representative of their department  to attend. 

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1: When I was working, punctuality was expected of my team members so we could get right to work whenever I finally showed up. On time is 15 minutes late.

    I look at someone being late as disrespectful. Like their time is more important than mine. Ready for a Midnight story?

    I was responsible for a data center when Hurricane Andrew hit South Florida. One of my responsibilities was maintaining/implementing a Disaster Recovery plan that included the various groups in IT. We contracted a company named Comdisco & they would provide us a data center in New Jersey with a carbon copy of our mainframe/network etc. to utilize if we had to evacuate South Florida & shutdown our operations center.

    I called our first "team" meeting for 1 PM with representatives of the various groups that would travel to Comdisco if needed during an emergency. At 1 PM I locked the conference room door & put a sign on it stating "YOU MISSED THE PLANE!" Three people were missing at 1 PM & kept knocking on the door to get entrance which I told those in attendance to ignore. 

    We finished the meeting & when I got back to my office there was a note for me to call my boss. He had heard what I had done & asked "what kind of stunt was that?" I explained that in a disaster we couldn't just shrug off a major fuckup & these people showing up late was a major fuckup. We needed to be a disciplined team so everyone understood the goals, expectations & responsibilities of the team. I reminded him the people on this team received 15% more annual pay for being on the team because they were willing/able to leave their families during a disaster like a hurricane.

    The end result was that we never had a lateness problem for our future meetings & if someone was unable to attend they sent a representative of their department  to attend. 

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 25, 2025 - 2:10 PM ET #421

    Anyone ever have shingles?

    My neighbor has them & describes it as a rash of fever blisters with ants crawling around under your skin trying to get out.

    Sounds pretty nasty & painful!  

     

    Reply

    Anyone ever have shingles?

    My neighbor has them & describes it as a rash of fever blisters with ants crawling around under your skin trying to get out.

    Sounds pretty nasty & painful!  

     

     
    april420
    april420
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2012
    Posts: 43
    Posted: Aug. 25, 2025 - 6:44 PM ET #422

    I need help, I keep picking but nothing is recording. please help

     

    Reply

    I need help, I keep picking but nothing is recording. please help

     

     
    pittsburghphil
    pittsburghphil
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2001
    Posts: 5659
    Posted: Aug. 25, 2025 - 7:57 PM ET #423

    @Midnight1

    i  had  them  20  years ago  .  on my  back.  awful  pain  and  discomfort.  took  powerful  antibiotics  for  2  weeks.  they went away..    nice to see ya  mids.   im still horsing around  and  betting sports lol.  gl to you..   

    Reply

    @Midnight1

    i  had  them  20  years ago  .  on my  back.  awful  pain  and  discomfort.  took  powerful  antibiotics  for  2  weeks.  they went away..    nice to see ya  mids.   im still horsing around  and  betting sports lol.  gl to you..   

     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 25, 2025 - 9:16 PM ET #424

    @pittsburghphil

     Holy shit phil! Good to see you here.

    The horse forum is dead & will be until the Breeders Cup. For some reason, I haven't enjoyed the Saratoga meet. Although, Sovereignty looked spectacular winning the Travers so easily & Thorpedo Anna showed so much heart winning by a nose. Kind a looking forward to the 1 week meet @ Kentucky Downs. They open Thursday & as you know they are all turf races with hills & valleys & a long ass stretch. Seen some nice exotic payoffs & huge purses with big fields. I like playing Gafflione & Mike Maker at this joint.

    The neighbor told me his wife is using a back scratcher because the itching doesn't stop.

      

    Reply

    @pittsburghphil

     Holy shit phil! Good to see you here.

    The horse forum is dead & will be until the Breeders Cup. For some reason, I haven't enjoyed the Saratoga meet. Although, Sovereignty looked spectacular winning the Travers so easily & Thorpedo Anna showed so much heart winning by a nose. Kind a looking forward to the 1 week meet @ Kentucky Downs. They open Thursday & as you know they are all turf races with hills & valleys & a long ass stretch. Seen some nice exotic payoffs & huge purses with big fields. I like playing Gafflione & Mike Maker at this joint.

    The neighbor told me his wife is using a back scratcher because the itching doesn't stop.

      

     
     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25544
    Posted: Aug. 25, 2025 - 11:07 PM ET #425

    Do you know anyone that went from a poor schmuck to a rich prick?

    I have a friend who did it via marriage. His wife's family was loaded; parents died & his only child wife got everything.

    Now he won't hang out at any bar/restaurant that isn't on water. This fucker can't even swim.

    He hit the jackpot & his wife is a nubile nymph.

    It can happen so fast fellas.

     

    Reply

    Do you know anyone that went from a poor schmuck to a rich prick?

    I have a friend who did it via marriage. His wife's family was loaded; parents died & his only child wife got everything.

    Now he won't hang out at any bar/restaurant that isn't on water. This fucker can't even swim.

    He hit the jackpot & his wife is a nubile nymph.

    It can happen so fast fellas.

     

    All Forums | General Discussion
    «First Previous 171819 ... 212223 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 459,871
    • Wednesday 10/07/2026 441
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,594
    • MLB Playoffs 16,878
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 35,178
    • PART DEUX 134
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,358
    • Week 6 Money 5,489
    • Public Indicator Calculations 2026 19,237
    • Wednesday 2,842

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.