• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 3
      NFL Week 3
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Car buying.............is it unrealistic......

    123 Next Last»
    THEMUGG
    wallstreetcappers
    JRBull
    mattbrot
    PASA818
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 1849
    Posts: 75
    123 Next Last»
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 7:31 PM ET #1

    ..........to expect a dealer to sell below NADA clean retail on a lease return?

     To make a long story short, I just looked at a 2008 Nissan Xterra 4x4 with about 20k miles. They're asking about $21k for a rig that has a $18,600 NADA retail. I offer them $16k & all they wanted to do was talk monthly payments. I told them not to worry about that.....I already have financing approved by my CU.......but they won't let it go.

     I would've come up a bit & then worked on my trade-in but they apparently didn't wanna go there. So, I say no & leave after their spin attempts, & I'm sure I let the negotiations get away from me somehow, but was I being unrealistic with my starting offer? I haven't bought a car for 12 years so I'm a bit out of practice.
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    ..........to expect a dealer to sell below NADA clean retail on a lease return?

     To make a long story short, I just looked at a 2008 Nissan Xterra 4x4 with about 20k miles. They're asking about $21k for a rig that has a $18,600 NADA retail. I offer them $16k & all they wanted to do was talk monthly payments. I told them not to worry about that.....I already have financing approved by my CU.......but they won't let it go.

     I would've come up a bit & then worked on my trade-in but they apparently didn't wanna go there. So, I say no & leave after their spin attempts, & I'm sure I let the negotiations get away from me somehow, but was I being unrealistic with my starting offer? I haven't bought a car for 12 years so I'm a bit out of practice.
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 7:41 PM ET #2

    I bet you 50 bucks you get a call from them very soon.

    Stick to your guns.
    Reply
    I bet you 50 bucks you get a call from them very soon.

    Stick to your guns.
     
    JRBull
    JRBull
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 5288
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 7:52 PM ET #3

     I don't know about The Washington market,but in the mid-atlantic area SUV's like the Xterra,4runner,Pilot,etc.are very hot right now,dealers are going to auctions to buy 'em up and they are paying top dollar. Meanwhile you can steal a Prius,in sharp contrast to several months ago when Prius' were getting 2k over book and you couldn't give away an SUV.
     
       However walking away from a deal that you are not 100% comfortable with is never a bad choice. You just may have to temper your expectations.
    Reply
     I don't know about The Washington market,but in the mid-atlantic area SUV's like the Xterra,4runner,Pilot,etc.are very hot right now,dealers are going to auctions to buy 'em up and they are paying top dollar. Meanwhile you can steal a Prius,in sharp contrast to several months ago when Prius' were getting 2k over book and you couldn't give away an SUV.
     
       However walking away from a deal that you are not 100% comfortable with is never a bad choice. You just may have to temper your expectations.
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 8:04 PM ET #4

    You may be right wall..........can't take that bet.

    JR.........after the big snow we had here around Xmas it looked like there was a push here too. But there's still tons of 4x4's out there. Whether or not I get a great deal on one is another story, so you may be right about my expectations.

     I guess I should factor in the warranty still on a rig such as this, no?
    Reply
    You may be right wall..........can't take that bet.

    JR.........after the big snow we had here around Xmas it looked like there was a push here too. But there's still tons of 4x4's out there. Whether or not I get a great deal on one is another story, so you may be right about my expectations.

     I guess I should factor in the warranty still on a rig such as this, no?
     
    JRBull
    JRBull
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 5288
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 8:17 PM ET #5

    Quote Originally Posted by THEMUGG:

     

     I guess I should factor in the warranty still on a rig such as this, no?

     Absolutely.The '08 Xterra is 3/36 basic and 5/60 drivetrain.You still have a good deal of that warranty in effect.The value of which should definitely be considered.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by THEMUGG:

     

     I guess I should factor in the warranty still on a rig such as this, no?

     Absolutely.The '08 Xterra is 3/36 basic and 5/60 drivetrain.You still have a good deal of that warranty in effect.The value of which should definitely be considered.

     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 8:30 PM ET #6

    I would internet shop them..send an email to all the Nissan dealers in your area and tell them the first to get you the price and vehicle you want gets the prize..
    Reply
    I would internet shop them..send an email to all the Nissan dealers in your area and tell them the first to get you the price and vehicle you want gets the prize..
     
    mattbrot
    mattbrot
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 6840
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 8:45 PM ET #7

    I have been car shopping recently.  I took some advice from others.
     
    Basically I went in there and offered X dollars for a car that I wanted.  They told me that they could not do that and then proceeded to try and talk abot payments, trade in value etc.. with me.
     
    I was very blunt and told them that I appreciate what they are saying but that "I am simply telling you right now what I am willing to offer you for the car and will sign the papers this instant.  You have my offer it is up to you to decide if you will take it or not".
     
    Long story short by the end of the night I got the car for what I offered.
     
     
    Reply
    I have been car shopping recently.  I took some advice from others.
     
    Basically I went in there and offered X dollars for a car that I wanted.  They told me that they could not do that and then proceeded to try and talk abot payments, trade in value etc.. with me.
     
    I was very blunt and told them that I appreciate what they are saying but that "I am simply telling you right now what I am willing to offer you for the car and will sign the papers this instant.  You have my offer it is up to you to decide if you will take it or not".
     
    Long story short by the end of the night I got the car for what I offered.
     
     
     
    mattbrot
    mattbrot
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 6840
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 8:48 PM ET #8

    The best advice I got was..
     
    Go in there and tell them what you are willing to pay.  When they try to negotiate or run audibles on you, just tell them that they already have your offer and that it is their decision now.  Make it simple -- this is my offer, what do you say. 
     
    Remember there are tons of other places out there to get a car that will work with you.
    Reply
    The best advice I got was..
     
    Go in there and tell them what you are willing to pay.  When they try to negotiate or run audibles on you, just tell them that they already have your offer and that it is their decision now.  Make it simple -- this is my offer, what do you say. 
     
    Remember there are tons of other places out there to get a car that will work with you.
     
    PASA818
    PASA818
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 1155
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 8:55 PM ET #9

    $16k is what you offer... Good Luck!!


    Reply
    $16k is what you offer... Good Luck!!


     
    The Hawk
    The Hawk
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2006
    Posts: 19693
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 9:11 PM ET #10

    Hate to get off topic, but in regard to the Prius, if they have that commuter bumper sticker, so you can get in the commuter (read-no traffic) lane, they bump the price up 2-4k.........
     
    Regardless, in this economy, stick to your guns. Cannot imagine even a salesman trying to work something that would drive a customer away.
     
    Like the man said, you have my offer....................
    Reply
    Hate to get off topic, but in regard to the Prius, if they have that commuter bumper sticker, so you can get in the commuter (read-no traffic) lane, they bump the price up 2-4k.........
     
    Regardless, in this economy, stick to your guns. Cannot imagine even a salesman trying to work something that would drive a customer away.
     
    Like the man said, you have my offer....................
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 9:51 PM ET #11

    Thanks for all the replies.

     I think what surprised me most is that their idea of bargaining was via the monthly payment. I told them twice what I was offering & they didn't act on it at all. In fact, their best "deal" would've had me paying between 19k & 20k.

     No sweat though..........tons of vehicles out there
    Reply
    Thanks for all the replies.

     I think what surprised me most is that their idea of bargaining was via the monthly payment. I told them twice what I was offering & they didn't act on it at all. In fact, their best "deal" would've had me paying between 19k & 20k.

     No sweat though..........tons of vehicles out there
     
    dillon24
    dillon24
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2008
    Posts: 9209
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 9:53 PM ET #12

    buy american
    Reply
    buy american
     
    Paulsy
    Paulsy
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 17651
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 9:54 PM ET #13

    I'm gonna wait a little longer. I want new trucks and I haven't seen any incentives yet.
    Reply
    I'm gonna wait a little longer. I want new trucks and I haven't seen any incentives yet.
     
    G8RB8
    G8RB8
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 30086
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 10:00 PM ET #14

    This is a buyers market if there ever was one.  You hold all the cards.  Go to enough people, eventually someone will sell it to you for what you tell them you're going to pay.
     
    GL
    Bagel Sandwiches Suck
    Reply
    This is a buyers market if there ever was one.  You hold all the cards.  Go to enough people, eventually someone will sell it to you for what you tell them you're going to pay.
     
    GL
     
    zooyorkinc
    zooyorkinc
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 1438
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 10:17 PM ET #15

    What trim level is it? I'll tell you what they're bringing at auction. 
    Reply
    What trim level is it? I'll tell you what they're bringing at auction. 
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 10:23 PM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by zooyorkinc:

    What trim level is it? I'll tell you what they're bringing at auction. 

     "S" model.........AT.....AC...........no real extras except "VDC"
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by zooyorkinc:

    What trim level is it? I'll tell you what they're bringing at auction. 

     "S" model.........AT.....AC...........no real extras except "VDC"
     
    castor_troy
    castor_troy
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2008
    Posts: 272
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 10:58 PM ET #17

    Look I am a Car salesman at a very prestigious family owned dealership in Tx. They are working you on monthly payments because when it comes to buying a car 85% of car buyers want a certain payment a lot of those people are not even concerned about cost. In turn this makes the dealership and the salesman a little extra money.
    The car buying public does not understand that NADA and Kelly Blue Book do not take into consideration the market, yes the car market like the stock market fluctuates month to month sometimes week to week. When a person trades a car in almost all dealerships use a live auction report that tells them what your car sold for at an auction the week prior exact car same miles same condition. Thats what they base there appraisals on and the market.. Worst case scenario they dont want to lose money on there investment. When you buy a new car your fucked when you leave the lot bam lost money take 10k and throw it in the trash. I suggest buying used. And by the way for those of you that are under the impression that dealerships under the big three are hurting there not I work for a GM dealer and sales have dropped maybe 5 cars a month. This problem was created by the unions period. So dont go in a dealership and start negotiting and then when things dont go your way you pull out the well arent you guys hurting, no were not the majority of dealerships like the one I work at dont floor plan with banks the people that own my place own every car. I agree you will eventually find the car priced as you want but you will have to give up some things like if you buy an Xterra from a dealership that is not nissan you can not get it certified that adds 12 months of bumper to bumper coverage. Or you will end up getting a car that has been bought and sold at an auction by dealers so many times who knows the history. Trust me on this most dealerships will NOT CALL YOU BACK once you leave, turn around time for used cars is 15-20 days if we dont sell it then it goes to auction rollover inventory. Its priced the way it is because there selling them for that. We as car dealers know yes every now and then we will brake even on a deal but we will make it up 20 times over in the same month. Find a place you can trust a salesman you like and who is worried about getting you the car you want, at our dealership your not just buying a car your buying a commitment from us that we will be around for questions and help and a great purchasing experience I have sold several generations of several families..     
    Reply
    Look I am a Car salesman at a very prestigious family owned dealership in Tx. They are working you on monthly payments because when it comes to buying a car 85% of car buyers want a certain payment a lot of those people are not even concerned about cost. In turn this makes the dealership and the salesman a little extra money.
    The car buying public does not understand that NADA and Kelly Blue Book do not take into consideration the market, yes the car market like the stock market fluctuates month to month sometimes week to week. When a person trades a car in almost all dealerships use a live auction report that tells them what your car sold for at an auction the week prior exact car same miles same condition. Thats what they base there appraisals on and the market.. Worst case scenario they dont want to lose money on there investment. When you buy a new car your fucked when you leave the lot bam lost money take 10k and throw it in the trash. I suggest buying used. And by the way for those of you that are under the impression that dealerships under the big three are hurting there not I work for a GM dealer and sales have dropped maybe 5 cars a month. This problem was created by the unions period. So dont go in a dealership and start negotiting and then when things dont go your way you pull out the well arent you guys hurting, no were not the majority of dealerships like the one I work at dont floor plan with banks the people that own my place own every car. I agree you will eventually find the car priced as you want but you will have to give up some things like if you buy an Xterra from a dealership that is not nissan you can not get it certified that adds 12 months of bumper to bumper coverage. Or you will end up getting a car that has been bought and sold at an auction by dealers so many times who knows the history. Trust me on this most dealerships will NOT CALL YOU BACK once you leave, turn around time for used cars is 15-20 days if we dont sell it then it goes to auction rollover inventory. Its priced the way it is because there selling them for that. We as car dealers know yes every now and then we will brake even on a deal but we will make it up 20 times over in the same month. Find a place you can trust a salesman you like and who is worried about getting you the car you want, at our dealership your not just buying a car your buying a commitment from us that we will be around for questions and help and a great purchasing experience I have sold several generations of several families..     
     
    castor_troy
    castor_troy
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2008
    Posts: 272
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 11:04 PM ET #18

    Think about it like this if you go into dillards and buy a Polo shirt you dont negotiate price. The markup on clothes is 2 maybe 3 hundred percent. We may mark are cars up 4 maybe 5 grand. Just like any other buisness we have bills to pay lights to keep on and so on.
    Reply
    Think about it like this if you go into dillards and buy a Polo shirt you dont negotiate price. The markup on clothes is 2 maybe 3 hundred percent. We may mark are cars up 4 maybe 5 grand. Just like any other buisness we have bills to pay lights to keep on and so on.
     
    castor_troy
    castor_troy
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2008
    Posts: 272
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 11:06 PM ET #19

    Quote Originally Posted by THEMUGG:

    ..........to expect a dealer to sell below NADA clean retail on a lease return?

     To make a long story short, I just looked at a 2008 Nissan Xterra 4x4 with about 20k miles. They're asking about $21k for a rig that has a $18,600 NADA retail. I offer them $16k & all they wanted to do was talk monthly payments. I told them not to worry about that.....I already have financing approved by my CU.......but they won't let it go.

     I would've come up a bit & then worked on my trade-in but they apparently didn't wanna go there. So, I say no & leave after their spin attempts, & I'm sure I let the negotiations get away from me somehow, but was I being unrealistic with my starting offer? I haven't bought a car for 12 years so I'm a bit out of practice.


    Know way thats a lease return that my friend is a rental car ....
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by THEMUGG:

    ..........to expect a dealer to sell below NADA clean retail on a lease return?

     To make a long story short, I just looked at a 2008 Nissan Xterra 4x4 with about 20k miles. They're asking about $21k for a rig that has a $18,600 NADA retail. I offer them $16k & all they wanted to do was talk monthly payments. I told them not to worry about that.....I already have financing approved by my CU.......but they won't let it go.

     I would've come up a bit & then worked on my trade-in but they apparently didn't wanna go there. So, I say no & leave after their spin attempts, & I'm sure I let the negotiations get away from me somehow, but was I being unrealistic with my starting offer? I haven't bought a car for 12 years so I'm a bit out of practice.


    Know way thats a lease return that my friend is a rental car ....
     
    The Hawk
    The Hawk
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2006
    Posts: 19693
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 11:17 PM ET #20

    Know way? I no that's not right.....................
    Reply
    Know way? I no that's not right.....................
     
    zooyorkinc
    zooyorkinc
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 1438
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 11:32 PM ET #21

    They're bringing about $15,400 at action.  Add a couple hundred bucks for an auction buy fee, a couple hundred to get the car lot ready.  Dealer will probably have close to $16,000 real money in the car by the time it hits the lot.  Btw that figure is for a car in average condition.  Adjust accordingly for vehicles in below/above average condition.
    Reply
    They're bringing about $15,400 at action.  Add a couple hundred bucks for an auction buy fee, a couple hundred to get the car lot ready.  Dealer will probably have close to $16,000 real money in the car by the time it hits the lot.  Btw that figure is for a car in average condition.  Adjust accordingly for vehicles in below/above average condition.
     
    zooyorkinc
    zooyorkinc
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 1438
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 11:33 PM ET #22

    should read auction not action

    Reply
    should read auction not action

     
    castor_troy
    castor_troy
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2008
    Posts: 272
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 11:36 PM ET #23

    Quote Originally Posted by zooyorkinc:

    They're bringing about $15,400 at action.  Add a couple hundred bucks for an auction buy fee, a couple hundred to get the car lot ready.  Dealer will probably have close to $16,000 real money in the car by the time it hits the lot.  Btw that figure is for a car in average condition.  Adjust accordingly for vehicles in below/above average condition.


    Then you take into consideration the pact which is usually a grand ..... I would offer about 18250 with certification
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by zooyorkinc:

    They're bringing about $15,400 at action.  Add a couple hundred bucks for an auction buy fee, a couple hundred to get the car lot ready.  Dealer will probably have close to $16,000 real money in the car by the time it hits the lot.  Btw that figure is for a car in average condition.  Adjust accordingly for vehicles in below/above average condition.


    Then you take into consideration the pact which is usually a grand ..... I would offer about 18250 with certification
     
    dyounger
    dyounger
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7885
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 11:40 PM ET #24

    Walk into the dealership and tell them whatever price you want to offer for it.  They will give you a line of bullshit and then give them your business card and tell them to call you if they are willing to sell it.  They will call you back in a day and tell them you want ALL of the paperwork ready in advance and to call you when its all prepared.  Make sure to tell them that the price you are offering for the car is including all the taxes and fees. Make sure when they call you back that you tell them you want all of the paperwork and everything figured out before you get there, if its not leave.
    Reply
    Walk into the dealership and tell them whatever price you want to offer for it.  They will give you a line of bullshit and then give them your business card and tell them to call you if they are willing to sell it.  They will call you back in a day and tell them you want ALL of the paperwork ready in advance and to call you when its all prepared.  Make sure to tell them that the price you are offering for the car is including all the taxes and fees. Make sure when they call you back that you tell them you want all of the paperwork and everything figured out before you get there, if its not leave.
     
     
    zooyorkinc
    zooyorkinc
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 1438
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2009 - 11:42 PM ET #25

    Pack is bullshit though... I'm talking real money.  I'd shop around.  You should be able to find one that a dealer would sell for $17,000 to $17,500.  Dealers are hurting out there.
    Reply
    Pack is bullshit though... I'm talking real money.  I'd shop around.  You should be able to find one that a dealer would sell for $17,000 to $17,500.  Dealers are hurting out there.
    All Forums | General Discussion
    123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,609
    • Sunday 09/27/2026 500
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,089
    • Sunday 3,116
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 101,898
    • Rams vs Broncos in game live SNF 2,109
    • HELP PLEASE 1,284
    • NFL Sunday 7,215
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 13,518
    • ***Macwesties * Thur. * Sun. Sept. 24, 27, 2026 * Week #3 * NFL Football Plays* 8,731

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.