New and improved forum search options. Check it out!

Mark Dantonio has enough, retires from MSU

Participants:
Views: 452

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #1

Cannot blame Dantonio,no where to go but down. Bad mistake recruiting Robertson and Curtis Blackwell will not go away quietly.
Add the Nassar sex scandal and MSU has a hard time getting any quality recruits.
Quote Post Report User

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #2

As an MSU alum I thank Coach Dantonio for the memories.  (Winningest coach in MSU history.)  With that being said I also feel it was time for him to go.  He was too stubborn to make coordinator changes the last few years and didn't seem to have have what it takes on the recruiting trail recently.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #3

I think he thought (knew) that the problem wasn't coordinators, it was talent. Michigan State had an identity and it worked.
Ever since Nassar, three players involved in sex abuse, and then Robinson recruited with a criminal record and then committing sexual assault at MSU, getting top recruits was/is almost impossible. 

Seemed like ESPN had it out for Dantonio too. Nothing but bad press for Sparty.

I am first and foremost a Michigan fan, and then a State of Michigan fan. Mark D. was a hell of a coach. Going to be hard to replace him. 

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #4

MSU AD Bill Beekman landed in Cinci last night and will be interviewing Luke Fickell today. About the only candidate they have. 

IMO, either they offer one hell of a contract to Fickell or he stays put. 

My gut says he stays put and MSU goes with asst. coach Tressel as an interim coach.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #5

Beekman returned to East Lansing tonight and Fickell wasn't with him. Beekman had flown to Colorado, San Francisco, and then Cinci. 
Mel Tucker at Colorado was flattered and said No.
Robert Saleh, DC at the 49er's not interested.
Fickell, not sure where he is at.

Just bad time to be looking for a coach! 

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #6

Michigan State has hired Mel Tucker, former Colorado head coach.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #7

As soon as it leaked out that MSU was meeting with Tucker last week the CU fanbase immediately turned on him.

Don't blame him for taking the job. Should double his salary and more $$$ for quality assistants. 

MSU fanbase doesn't seem to excited and I understand why.

Think it was a good hire, not great, but good. Recruiting is most important here and Tucker may do pretty good as an Ohio native.

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #8

Im happy with this don't see why anyone wouldn't be. Not amazing but not bad in any way shape or form. 

Get the best sports betting information delivered straight to your inbox for free.
Covers 25 Years Logo Established in 1995,
Covers is the world
leader in sports
betting information.
Covers is verified safe by: Evalon Logo GDPR Logo Evalon Logo Evalon Logo