• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | NFL Betting Forum

    Math exercise - What is my probability of winning?

    12 Next Last»
    Ed-Collins
    TRAIN69
    BlindBind
    FadeOnly
    DWN
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 2017
    Posts: 31
    12 Next Last»
     
    Ed-Collins
    Ed-Collins
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 1634
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 5:27 PM ET #1

    Here's a math exercise for those of you who enjoy this type of thing.

    I will win our office football pool this week if the Rams defeat (or tie) the 49ers tonight OR the combined total for both teams tonight is 46 points or more.

    Assume the current line is SF -3.5 with an over/under of 44.

    Given the above information, what is my estimated probability of winning this week's pool?  Show your work.  

    (I will give the answer later this afternoon or early this evening.)
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    Here's a math exercise for those of you who enjoy this type of thing.

    I will win our office football pool this week if the Rams defeat (or tie) the 49ers tonight OR the combined total for both teams tonight is 46 points or more.

    Assume the current line is SF -3.5 with an over/under of 44.

    Given the above information, what is my estimated probability of winning this week's pool?  Show your work.  

    (I will give the answer later this afternoon or early this evening.)
     
    TRAIN69
    TRAIN69
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2002
    Posts: 55705
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 5:35 PM ET #2

    0

     

    Showing my work......

     

    Niners 30 Rams 13

     

     

    Reply

    0

     

    Showing my work......

     

    Niners 30 Rams 13

     

     

     
    BlindBind
    BlindBind
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2005
    Posts: 1294
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 5:38 PM ET #3

    1) if the Rams defeat (or tie) the 49ers tonight OR the combined total for both teams tonight is 46 points or more.

    2) Assume the current line is SF -3.5 with an over/under of 44.

    These two are unrelated.

    Assuming chance of 2) going one way is 50%/50%.

    It depends on what one assumes as a normal standard deviation from the line set, so what you provided lack information.
    Reply
    1) if the Rams defeat (or tie) the 49ers tonight OR the combined total for both teams tonight is 46 points or more.

    2) Assume the current line is SF -3.5 with an over/under of 44.

    These two are unrelated.

    Assuming chance of 2) going one way is 50%/50%.

    It depends on what one assumes as a normal standard deviation from the line set, so what you provided lack information.
     
    FadeOnly
    FadeOnly
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 16675
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 5:52 PM ET #4

    This is not my strong suit, but I'm assuming it's around 45-50%

    Thinking out loud...

    Rams are a 3.5 point underdog, meaning they win the game outright approximately 45% of the time?  Total is 44, you need 46 or more, which I would guess is also only happening 45% of the time?

    So somewhere below 50% chance of winning your pool?


    If I were you, I'd hedge.  SF wins a low scoring game.
    Reply
    This is not my strong suit, but I'm assuming it's around 45-50%

    Thinking out loud...

    Rams are a 3.5 point underdog, meaning they win the game outright approximately 45% of the time?  Total is 44, you need 46 or more, which I would guess is also only happening 45% of the time?

    So somewhere below 50% chance of winning your pool?


    If I were you, I'd hedge.  SF wins a low scoring game.
     
    DWN
    DWN
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2011
    Posts: 161
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 6:35 PM ET #5

    I think FadeOnly has some good insight to the probability. I would guess he is close or it is a little more towards 40%?
    BOL. I hope you are right TRAIN69. 
    Reply
    I think FadeOnly has some good insight to the probability. I would guess he is close or it is a little more towards 40%?
    BOL. I hope you are right TRAIN69. 
     
    Ed-Collins
    Ed-Collins
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 1634
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 6:36 PM ET #6

    I never hedge. 
    Reply
    I never hedge. 
     
    DWN
    DWN
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2011
    Posts: 161
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 6:42 PM ET #7

    Actually I am going to change my opinion, to lose BOTH of them is probably a fair amount under 50% so you probably are at least something over 55 to 60 to win 1 of them. 

    OK, I realize now I should have stayed out of this! 
    Reply
    Actually I am going to change my opinion, to lose BOTH of them is probably a fair amount under 50% so you probably are at least something over 55 to 60 to win 1 of them. 

    OK, I realize now I should have stayed out of this! 
     
    DWN
    DWN
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2011
    Posts: 161
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 6:44 PM ET #8

    Ed, great avatar, who is that girl?
    Reply
    Ed, great avatar, who is that girl?
     
    Ed-Collins
    Ed-Collins
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 1634
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 6:47 PM ET #9

    Denise Milani.  Google her.  She's my favorite pinup gal.
    Reply
    Denise Milani.  Google her.  She's my favorite pinup gal.
     
    saintsfan1977
    saintsfan1977
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2013
    Posts: 346
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 7:13 PM ET #10

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed-Collins:

    Here's a math exercise for those of you who enjoy this type of thing.

    I will win our office football pool this week if the Rams defeat (or tie) the 49ers tonight OR the combined total for both teams tonight is 46 points or more.

    Assume the current line is SF -3.5 with an over/under of 44.

    Given the above information, what is my estimated probability of winning this week's pool?  Show your work.  

    (I will give the answer later this afternoon or early this evening.)


    Your chance of winning the pool is 33%.

    You have 3 chances. 2 chances contain a goat and one chance contains a winner

    You take a chance. Another chance is revealed to show a goat. You could stick with your first choice or Should you swap your pick? The answer is swap.

    You have a one in 3 chance of winning or 33%. You have a 66% chance of picking a goat.

    Once you take your chance and another is revealed to you. You now have a 50% chance of choosing the winner or the goat IN THEORY ONLY.



    In reality you have a 66% chance of winning if you swapped . You already know where one goat is.

    Its the Monty Hall problem

    However, you are taking the goat so you have a 33% chance of hitting and a 66% chance of losing. Since you picked a goat, I suggest you swap picks and take SF.


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed-Collins:

    Here's a math exercise for those of you who enjoy this type of thing.

    I will win our office football pool this week if the Rams defeat (or tie) the 49ers tonight OR the combined total for both teams tonight is 46 points or more.

    Assume the current line is SF -3.5 with an over/under of 44.

    Given the above information, what is my estimated probability of winning this week's pool?  Show your work.  

    (I will give the answer later this afternoon or early this evening.)


    Your chance of winning the pool is 33%.

    You have 3 chances. 2 chances contain a goat and one chance contains a winner

    You take a chance. Another chance is revealed to show a goat. You could stick with your first choice or Should you swap your pick? The answer is swap.

    You have a one in 3 chance of winning or 33%. You have a 66% chance of picking a goat.

    Once you take your chance and another is revealed to you. You now have a 50% chance of choosing the winner or the goat IN THEORY ONLY.



    In reality you have a 66% chance of winning if you swapped . You already know where one goat is.

    Its the Monty Hall problem

    However, you are taking the goat so you have a 33% chance of hitting and a 66% chance of losing. Since you picked a goat, I suggest you swap picks and take SF.


     
    Carpinteria
    Carpinteria
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2014
    Posts: 6477
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 7:19 PM ET #11

    I got about 41%

     

    I took the odds of them winning a +165 ML , approx. 37.7%

    then the odds of the game going OVER 46, approx. 45%

    I then took the combination of both scenarios, basically 200% (added 37.7% and 45%) to make 82.7% (out of 200%) which gives me a little more than 41%

     

    Did I do it right? Who knows lol

     

    Reply

    I got about 41%

     

    I took the odds of them winning a +165 ML , approx. 37.7%

    then the odds of the game going OVER 46, approx. 45%

    I then took the combination of both scenarios, basically 200% (added 37.7% and 45%) to make 82.7% (out of 200%) which gives me a little more than 41%

     

    Did I do it right? Who knows lol

     

     
    Carpinteria
    Carpinteria
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2014
    Posts: 6477
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 7:22 PM ET #12

    Quote Originally Posted by Carpinteria:

    I got about 41%

     

    I took the odds of them winning a +165 ML , approx. 37.7%

    then the odds of the game going OVER 46, approx. 45%

    I then took the combination of both scenarios, basically 200% (added 37.7% and 45%) to make 82.7% (out of 200%) which gives me a little more than 41%

     

    Did I do it right? Who knows lol

     

     

    I totally fcked up. If theyre 45% to hit just the OVER how could they be only 41% to win the bet??

    I'll say add the percentages

    I'll say 82.7% lol

     

     

     

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpinteria:

    I got about 41%

     

    I took the odds of them winning a +165 ML , approx. 37.7%

    then the odds of the game going OVER 46, approx. 45%

    I then took the combination of both scenarios, basically 200% (added 37.7% and 45%) to make 82.7% (out of 200%) which gives me a little more than 41%

     

    Did I do it right? Who knows lol

     

     

    I totally fcked up. If theyre 45% to hit just the OVER how could they be only 41% to win the bet??

    I'll say add the percentages

    I'll say 82.7% lol

     

     

     

     

     
    FadeOnly
    FadeOnly
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 16675
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 7:26 PM ET #13

    Quote Originally Posted by Carpinteria:

    I got about 41%

     

    I took the odds of them winning a +165 ML , approx. 37.7%

    then the odds of the game going OVER 46, approx. 45%

    I then took the combination of both scenarios, basically 200% (added 37.7% and 45%) to make 82.7% (out of 200%) which gives me a little more than 41%

     

    Did I do it right? Who knows lol

     


    This is the same way I tried to sort it out in post #4, but I think the chances of hitting of the +165 ML is higher than 37.7%...  3 point underdogs win outright approximately 45% of the time, if I had to put a number on it.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpinteria:

    I got about 41%

     

    I took the odds of them winning a +165 ML , approx. 37.7%

    then the odds of the game going OVER 46, approx. 45%

    I then took the combination of both scenarios, basically 200% (added 37.7% and 45%) to make 82.7% (out of 200%) which gives me a little more than 41%

     

    Did I do it right? Who knows lol

     


    This is the same way I tried to sort it out in post #4, but I think the chances of hitting of the +165 ML is higher than 37.7%...  3 point underdogs win outright approximately 45% of the time, if I had to put a number on it.
     
    zamigo6
    zamigo6
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 13130
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 7:33 PM ET #14

    The lines offered by books do not reflect the probability of the event occur, they reflect the incoming money...
    Reply
    The lines offered by books do not reflect the probability of the event occur, they reflect the incoming money...
     
    Ed-Collins
    Ed-Collins
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 1634
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 8:27 PM ET #15

    Ding, Ding Ding.  We have a winner.  That winner is... drum roll please... DWN (with his second post.)

    The Rams are underdogs by 3.5 points.  This gives them an estimated probability of winning the game of .393.  (My source is https://wizardofodds.com/games/sports-betting/nfl/)

    So I have a disadvantage here.

    Since the Over/Under is 44, and yet I need 46 or more points, I also have a disadvantage here, albeit a slight one.  I have about a 44% chance to cover this.  (Source: https://wizardofodds.com/games/sports-betting/nfl/alternate-totals/)

    Note that these two events are unrelated.

    The only player still alive in the pool other than me needs BOTH events to win.  (As stated in the problem, I don't need both.  I need either/or.)  Thus, his overall chance is the PRODUCT of HIS two individual chances.  He has a .607 probability of San Fran winning, and a .56 probability of the game going under 46.

    .607 x .56 = .3399.  Although his chances of EACH event are greater than 50-50, because he needs BOTH events to occur, his overall chance to win is about 34%.  

    Thus, MY overall chances are about 66%.  (1 - .34)

    (I decided ahead of time if you answered between 64.5% and 67.5% I would grade your answer as correct.)  

    If you didn't know that a 3.5 underdog only wins approximately 39% of the time (or the percentage of the time ANY underdog wins, given the pointspread), then shame on you.  That information should be at the fingertips of everyone who wagers on NFL games - it's good information to know.

    You also needed to know the chances of two independent events occurring is the PRODUCT of the chance of each individual event.  The chances of you flipping a coin twice and having it land tails both times (for example) is the product of each individual event.  1/2 x 1/2... or 1 out of 4.  The chances of you flipping a coin three times and having it land tails all three times is the product of each individual event.  1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2... or 1 out of 8.
    Reply
    Ding, Ding Ding.  We have a winner.  That winner is... drum roll please... DWN (with his second post.)

    The Rams are underdogs by 3.5 points.  This gives them an estimated probability of winning the game of .393.  (My source is https://wizardofodds.com/games/sports-betting/nfl/)

    So I have a disadvantage here.

    Since the Over/Under is 44, and yet I need 46 or more points, I also have a disadvantage here, albeit a slight one.  I have about a 44% chance to cover this.  (Source: https://wizardofodds.com/games/sports-betting/nfl/alternate-totals/)

    Note that these two events are unrelated.

    The only player still alive in the pool other than me needs BOTH events to win.  (As stated in the problem, I don't need both.  I need either/or.)  Thus, his overall chance is the PRODUCT of HIS two individual chances.  He has a .607 probability of San Fran winning, and a .56 probability of the game going under 46.

    .607 x .56 = .3399.  Although his chances of EACH event are greater than 50-50, because he needs BOTH events to occur, his overall chance to win is about 34%.  

    Thus, MY overall chances are about 66%.  (1 - .34)

    (I decided ahead of time if you answered between 64.5% and 67.5% I would grade your answer as correct.)  

    If you didn't know that a 3.5 underdog only wins approximately 39% of the time (or the percentage of the time ANY underdog wins, given the pointspread), then shame on you.  That information should be at the fingertips of everyone who wagers on NFL games - it's good information to know.

    You also needed to know the chances of two independent events occurring is the PRODUCT of the chance of each individual event.  The chances of you flipping a coin twice and having it land tails both times (for example) is the product of each individual event.  1/2 x 1/2... or 1 out of 4.  The chances of you flipping a coin three times and having it land tails all three times is the product of each individual event.  1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2... or 1 out of 8.
     
    Ed-Collins
    Ed-Collins
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 1634
    Posted: Oct. 13, 2014 - 8:28 PM ET #16

    FadeOnly's estimations of each individual event WERE good, but I don't need BOTH events to occur, I need EITHER event.  As shown, my overall chance is MUCH greater than 40 or 50%.

    BlindBind said I did not provide enough information.  BUZZZZZ.  There was enough information there to solve the problem.

    As I suspected, there will always be individuals like Train who have no interest in math or probability.  He didn't know the answer either, which is why he tried to get cute.

    I'm well aware of the famous Monty Hall problem, and how and why you should always swap doors, but that problem has absolutely NOTHING to do with this exercise.  Absolutely nothing.  BUZZZZZ.  If anything, there are four "doors" in this problem and I win when three of them are opened:

    Rams win a low scoring game (I win)
    Rams win a high scoring game (I win)
    49ers win a high very high scoring game (I win)
    49ers win a low scoring game (I lose)

    If the game were a pick'em and if my total was right on the Over/Under, you should be able to see with three out of four "doors" in my favor I would have a 75% chance of winning.  But since the 49ers are a slight favorite, and since I'm at a slight disadvantage with my 46 point total, my overall chances have to be less than 75%, and the above mentioned method is the only way to compute them.

    Kudos to FadeOnly and Carpinteria who made a stab at solving the problem.

    I find it interesting (but not surprising) that over 465 individuals read this thread, and only ONE of them provided the correct answer, which no one else took the time to confirm.
    Reply
    FadeOnly's estimations of each individual event WERE good, but I don't need BOTH events to occur, I need EITHER event.  As shown, my overall chance is MUCH greater than 40 or 50%.

    BlindBind said I did not provide enough information.  BUZZZZZ.  There was enough information there to solve the problem.

    As I suspected, there will always be individuals like Train who have no interest in math or probability.  He didn't know the answer either, which is why he tried to get cute.

    I'm well aware of the famous Monty Hall problem, and how and why you should always swap doors, but that problem has absolutely NOTHING to do with this exercise.  Absolutely nothing.  BUZZZZZ.  If anything, there are four "doors" in this problem and I win when three of them are opened:

    Rams win a low scoring game (I win)
    Rams win a high scoring game (I win)
    49ers win a high very high scoring game (I win)
    49ers win a low scoring game (I lose)

    If the game were a pick'em and if my total was right on the Over/Under, you should be able to see with three out of four "doors" in my favor I would have a 75% chance of winning.  But since the 49ers are a slight favorite, and since I'm at a slight disadvantage with my 46 point total, my overall chances have to be less than 75%, and the above mentioned method is the only way to compute them.

    Kudos to FadeOnly and Carpinteria who made a stab at solving the problem.

    I find it interesting (but not surprising) that over 465 individuals read this thread, and only ONE of them provided the correct answer, which no one else took the time to confirm.
     
    DWN
    DWN
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2011
    Posts: 161
    Posted: Oct. 14, 2014 - 12:03 AM ET #17

    Thanks for the Denise Milani info - unreal and I think those boobs are real!! what a body and face!! And thanks also for the math lesson, your explanation was much more precise, mine was just a rough guess.  
    And great job on getting the office pool on that last TD!
    Reply
    Thanks for the Denise Milani info - unreal and I think those boobs are real!! what a body and face!! And thanks also for the math lesson, your explanation was much more precise, mine was just a rough guess.  
    And great job on getting the office pool on that last TD!
     
    coverdog
    coverdog
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2003
    Posts: 759
    Posted: Oct. 14, 2014 - 12:05 AM ET #18

    I PREFER BOOBS OVER THE MATH
    Reply
    I PREFER BOOBS OVER THE MATH
     
    Cw234u
    Cw234u
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2014
    Posts: 6
    Posted: Oct. 14, 2014 - 1:00 AM ET #19

    Ed-Collins this rule is accurate but keep in mind that this implies that the percentages are only suitable if and only if you bet 12 game considering there are almost 15 games a week that betting percentage you're given can be off a tad however this probability algorithm works well for getting for me!!!
    Reply
    Ed-Collins this rule is accurate but keep in mind that this implies that the percentages are only suitable if and only if you bet 12 game considering there are almost 15 games a week that betting percentage you're given can be off a tad however this probability algorithm works well for getting for me!!!
     
    Ed-Collins
    Ed-Collins
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 1634
    Posted: Oct. 14, 2014 - 1:16 AM ET #20

    Quote Originally Posted by Cw234u:

    Ed-Collins this rule is accurate but keep in mind that this implies that the percentages are only suitable if and only if you bet 12 game considering there are almost 15 games a week that betting percentage you're given can be off a tad however this probability algorithm works well for getting for me!!!

    Um... you lost me.

    What rule are you referring to?  I mentioned no rule.
    What does betting 12 games have to do with anything?

    My post was nothing more than a math problem, with a football theme.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Cw234u:

    Ed-Collins this rule is accurate but keep in mind that this implies that the percentages are only suitable if and only if you bet 12 game considering there are almost 15 games a week that betting percentage you're given can be off a tad however this probability algorithm works well for getting for me!!!

    Um... you lost me.

    What rule are you referring to?  I mentioned no rule.
    What does betting 12 games have to do with anything?

    My post was nothing more than a math problem, with a football theme.
     
    clubtnt
    clubtnt
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2011
    Posts: 1822
    Posted: Oct. 14, 2014 - 1:28 AM ET #21

    OR-probability is calculated as such: 

    probability of A or B = probability of A + probability of B - probability of A and B.
    Reply
    OR-probability is calculated as such: 

    probability of A or B = probability of A + probability of B - probability of A and B.
     
    Ed-Collins
    Ed-Collins
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 1634
    Posted: Oct. 14, 2014 - 1:40 AM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by clubtnt:

    OR-probability is calculated as such: probability of A or B = probability of A + probability of B - probability of A and B.


    You lost me.  Are you disputing my answer?

    According to your equation, my probability was zero:
    Probability of A (.39) + probability of B (.45) - probability of A and B (.84) = probability of A or B

    .39 + .45 - .84 = 0
    That makes no sense.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by clubtnt:

    OR-probability is calculated as such: probability of A or B = probability of A + probability of B - probability of A and B.


    You lost me.  Are you disputing my answer?

    According to your equation, my probability was zero:
    Probability of A (.39) + probability of B (.45) - probability of A and B (.84) = probability of A or B

    .39 + .45 - .84 = 0
    That makes no sense.
     
    clubtnt
    clubtnt
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2011
    Posts: 1822
    Posted: Oct. 14, 2014 - 1:52 AM ET #23

    probability of A and B means the probability of A and B occurring, not their sum. as stated above by you, it's simply their product.


    Reply
    probability of A and B means the probability of A and B occurring, not their sum. as stated above by you, it's simply their product.


     
    clubtnt
    clubtnt
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2011
    Posts: 1822
    Posted: Oct. 14, 2014 - 1:58 AM ET #24

    this is more clear: P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B), where

    P(A) = .39
    P(B) = .45
    P(A and B) = P(A) X P(B) = .1755
    Reply
    this is more clear: P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B), where

    P(A) = .39
    P(B) = .45
    P(A and B) = P(A) X P(B) = .1755
     
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Oct. 14, 2014 - 2:02 AM ET #25

    Quote Originally Posted by clubtnt:

    this is more clear: P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B), where

    P(A) = .39
    P(B) = .45
    P(A and B) = P(A) X P(B) = .1755

    He only needs one to win.

    So he states it correctly when he says that his opponent has roughly 34% chance of winning because the independent events are .61 and .56.

    This give him roughly 64% chance of winning.

    Correct?

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by clubtnt:

    this is more clear: P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B), where

    P(A) = .39
    P(B) = .45
    P(A and B) = P(A) X P(B) = .1755

    He only needs one to win.

    So he states it correctly when he says that his opponent has roughly 34% chance of winning because the independent events are .61 and .56.

    This give him roughly 64% chance of winning.

    Correct?

    All Forums | NFL Betting Forum
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,678
    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 457,377
    • Sunday 10/04/2026 685
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,054
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 104,305
    • ***Macwesties * Sun. Oct. 04, 2026 * Week #4 * NFL Football Plays*** 8,300
    • This Seattle Line Is Begging for a Discussion 2,806
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,474
    • Sunday nFl Wk 4 8,141
    • __________ 📌 🏈 ?? Fubah's NFL 2026: Week 04 🚩🚩🚩🚩 12,949

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.