• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Steelers-Browns Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | MLB Betting Forum

    Sykotic MLB Picks [8/1/2014]

    12 Next Last»
    Sykology
    xcorujax
    CapGun
    FullyLoaded
    KktdocT
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 1652
    Posts: 29
    12 Next Last»
     
    Sykology
    Sykology
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 255
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 4:18 AM ET #1

    YTD: 0-0-0

    Disclaimer: I have bet on MLB this season, and I am setting my YTD record at 0-0-0 only because I am going to being posting a daily thread and it simplifies everything. If you are worried that I'm trying to cover up a history of losing, feel free to check my post history. I'm coming off a recent challenge where I doubled a $5,000 bankroll in only five days.

    Philosophy: I believe that less is more. On some days I will make a number of plays, but I will almost never make more than one play on a single game. There can be value in doing that, but I would argue that in the long term it would be better to just bet a little more on whichever bet you prefer (if you are a good handicapper). I also don't mind laying some juice. Some posters here seem to be incredibly afraid of it, but I think it's a rash decision to avoid juice even where it is justified. In terms of bet sizing, I can be a little bit erratic. There is an argument to be made for always using the same bet size, but that's just not my style. 

    Current Card

    8:10 PM ET Chicago White Sox RL (-125), risking $1,000 to win $800.
    First of all, Sale is rock solid, that's just a fact. Further, the White Sox are pretty strong at home and the Twins struggle on the road. Obviously, the starter for the Twins having a 7.88 ERA is a huge plus, but it becomes massively important when you realize that he went up against the White Sox on July 26th (his only MLB start) and gave up 7 runs in 5 innings. Better yet, that 7-0 win for the White Sox came with Sale at the helm. 
    One of my favorite betting opportunities is to take a pitcher who beat the opposing pitcher very recently. I suppose this is obvious but I think there is not only a statistical value, but also a very clear psychological one. There is no way that Darnell is going to come into the game tomorrow with his head in the right place. The fact that he knows his team is by far the weaker offensively should have him somewhat of a basket case. After putting on two terrible performances in his first two chances to pitch in MLB, I expect Darnell to be afraid to throw anywhere near the middle of the strike-zone tomorrow, and that should lead to many walks and big time scoring for the White Sox.

    10:10 PM ET Braves/Padres O7.0 (-116.28), risking $500 to win $435.
    I wrote a long explanation for this pick but my laptop decided to malfunction, so I will keep it short and sweet. While neither team brings in runs at an alarming rate, both of these pitchers give whatever team they face the opportunity to score a ton of runs. Stults is one of the worst pitchers in the game, and the Braves love to feast on lefties. Minor is overall a good pitcher but he looks completely lost lately, and will offer up some walks if the Padres will only take them. He has really struggled with his command.
    Another key fact is that this pitching match was played on July 26th and ended with 11 runs, a full 4 runs over this total. Additionally, in Minor's last 9 starts, the total number of runs scored has been at or over the set total for this game. Basically, either of these pitchers could give up 8 runs alone on a bad day, and hopefully they will work together to help the over land tomorrow. I'm only betting a medium amount on the game because both teams have solid bullpens.

    It's late, but I will almost certainly put on a couple more plays tomorrow. Talk it up, I value the opinions of people who take the time to analyze games and post here.

    Good luck! 

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    YTD: 0-0-0

    Disclaimer: I have bet on MLB this season, and I am setting my YTD record at 0-0-0 only because I am going to being posting a daily thread and it simplifies everything. If you are worried that I'm trying to cover up a history of losing, feel free to check my post history. I'm coming off a recent challenge where I doubled a $5,000 bankroll in only five days.

    Philosophy: I believe that less is more. On some days I will make a number of plays, but I will almost never make more than one play on a single game. There can be value in doing that, but I would argue that in the long term it would be better to just bet a little more on whichever bet you prefer (if you are a good handicapper). I also don't mind laying some juice. Some posters here seem to be incredibly afraid of it, but I think it's a rash decision to avoid juice even where it is justified. In terms of bet sizing, I can be a little bit erratic. There is an argument to be made for always using the same bet size, but that's just not my style. 

    Current Card

    8:10 PM ET Chicago White Sox RL (-125), risking $1,000 to win $800.
    First of all, Sale is rock solid, that's just a fact. Further, the White Sox are pretty strong at home and the Twins struggle on the road. Obviously, the starter for the Twins having a 7.88 ERA is a huge plus, but it becomes massively important when you realize that he went up against the White Sox on July 26th (his only MLB start) and gave up 7 runs in 5 innings. Better yet, that 7-0 win for the White Sox came with Sale at the helm. 
    One of my favorite betting opportunities is to take a pitcher who beat the opposing pitcher very recently. I suppose this is obvious but I think there is not only a statistical value, but also a very clear psychological one. There is no way that Darnell is going to come into the game tomorrow with his head in the right place. The fact that he knows his team is by far the weaker offensively should have him somewhat of a basket case. After putting on two terrible performances in his first two chances to pitch in MLB, I expect Darnell to be afraid to throw anywhere near the middle of the strike-zone tomorrow, and that should lead to many walks and big time scoring for the White Sox.

    10:10 PM ET Braves/Padres O7.0 (-116.28), risking $500 to win $435.
    I wrote a long explanation for this pick but my laptop decided to malfunction, so I will keep it short and sweet. While neither team brings in runs at an alarming rate, both of these pitchers give whatever team they face the opportunity to score a ton of runs. Stults is one of the worst pitchers in the game, and the Braves love to feast on lefties. Minor is overall a good pitcher but he looks completely lost lately, and will offer up some walks if the Padres will only take them. He has really struggled with his command.
    Another key fact is that this pitching match was played on July 26th and ended with 11 runs, a full 4 runs over this total. Additionally, in Minor's last 9 starts, the total number of runs scored has been at or over the set total for this game. Basically, either of these pitchers could give up 8 runs alone on a bad day, and hopefully they will work together to help the over land tomorrow. I'm only betting a medium amount on the game because both teams have solid bullpens.

    It's late, but I will almost certainly put on a couple more plays tomorrow. Talk it up, I value the opinions of people who take the time to analyze games and post here.

    Good luck! 

     
    xcorujax
    xcorujax
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2014
    Posts: 96
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 7:14 AM ET #2

    Reply
     
    CapGun
    CapGun
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2012
    Posts: 143
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 8:05 AM ET #3

    BOL. I always get sheepish about rematches (like the recent Samardzija vs Feldman rematch) but this Sale vs. Darnell 2 match just seems so easy.

    My book has it at -300 ML and -130 RL. Basically math says the RL should be WAY more juiced but books really never make RL more than -130.

    Sale on 6 days rest at home? Yes please.

    Definitely more of a hitters park than the last matchup at Target but Sale always has better numbers at home which is mind boggling considering US Cellular adds 25% more avg offensive production year over year.

    Sale is a freak and yes I'll say it, he's every bit as good as Kershaw and Price yet he literally gets no press. At all. Dude gives up a .129 and .212 BAA to LH and RH hitters respectively. Kershaw is at .161 and .196
    Reply
    BOL. I always get sheepish about rematches (like the recent Samardzija vs Feldman rematch) but this Sale vs. Darnell 2 match just seems so easy.

    My book has it at -300 ML and -130 RL. Basically math says the RL should be WAY more juiced but books really never make RL more than -130.

    Sale on 6 days rest at home? Yes please.

    Definitely more of a hitters park than the last matchup at Target but Sale always has better numbers at home which is mind boggling considering US Cellular adds 25% more avg offensive production year over year.

    Sale is a freak and yes I'll say it, he's every bit as good as Kershaw and Price yet he literally gets no press. At all. Dude gives up a .129 and .212 BAA to LH and RH hitters respectively. Kershaw is at .161 and .196
     
    FullyLoaded
    FullyLoaded
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 4084
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 10:16 AM ET #4

    GL  Like the Chisox 
    Reply
    GL  Like the Chisox 
     
    Sykology
    Sykology
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 255
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 2:17 PM ET #5

     7:10 PM ET Marlins ML (-116.28), risking $1,000 to win $870.
    In general I have a rule that says not to play a pitcher after a recent trade. I don't think that applies here, however. First of all, Cosart was moved from a team with absolutely no playoff aspirations, to one where the dream is very much still alive. This is a huge motivational boost for anyone. Additionally, the Reds have never seen Cosart pitch, and it's always huge to have a pitcher with some experience that the opponent has never gone up against. 
    As far as Latos is concerned, he is a decent pitcher, but he's going to face a seriously rough atmosphere tonight and he can't really expect the Reds to bail him out if he gives up a few. Further more, the 6 starters from yesterday's games with 3 or more at bats against Latos average out to a combined 37.5% OBP. In particular, Stanton is 4/8 against him. Just one big swing by Stanton could close out the game with the Reds abysmal offense.
    When it comes down to it, even though Cosart has just changed teams, he will have a ton of support tonight. The entire Marlins club feel that they got cheated yesterday (I concur), and there is absolutely no better motivation for a team and a better environment for a pitcher new to the team to be in. If you subscribe to the idea that baseball games are occasionally fixed, I can also assure you that this would not be the one to worry about today. Early line movement is good for the Marlins, as are the statistical and psychological factors, and I think they bounce back with a win. One last item of interest is the way Chapman was feeling last night. His command was off somewhat and he didn't appear to be feeling well. That never hurts.

    Updated Card

     7:10 PM ET Marlins ML (-116.28), risking $1,000 to win $870.

     8:10 PM ET White Sox RL (-125), risking $1,000 to win $800.

     10:10 PM ET ATL/SD O7.0 (-116.28), risking $500 to win $435.
    Reply
     7:10 PM ET Marlins ML (-116.28), risking $1,000 to win $870.
    In general I have a rule that says not to play a pitcher after a recent trade. I don't think that applies here, however. First of all, Cosart was moved from a team with absolutely no playoff aspirations, to one where the dream is very much still alive. This is a huge motivational boost for anyone. Additionally, the Reds have never seen Cosart pitch, and it's always huge to have a pitcher with some experience that the opponent has never gone up against. 
    As far as Latos is concerned, he is a decent pitcher, but he's going to face a seriously rough atmosphere tonight and he can't really expect the Reds to bail him out if he gives up a few. Further more, the 6 starters from yesterday's games with 3 or more at bats against Latos average out to a combined 37.5% OBP. In particular, Stanton is 4/8 against him. Just one big swing by Stanton could close out the game with the Reds abysmal offense.
    When it comes down to it, even though Cosart has just changed teams, he will have a ton of support tonight. The entire Marlins club feel that they got cheated yesterday (I concur), and there is absolutely no better motivation for a team and a better environment for a pitcher new to the team to be in. If you subscribe to the idea that baseball games are occasionally fixed, I can also assure you that this would not be the one to worry about today. Early line movement is good for the Marlins, as are the statistical and psychological factors, and I think they bounce back with a win. One last item of interest is the way Chapman was feeling last night. His command was off somewhat and he didn't appear to be feeling well. That never hurts.

    Updated Card

     7:10 PM ET Marlins ML (-116.28), risking $1,000 to win $870.

     8:10 PM ET White Sox RL (-125), risking $1,000 to win $800.

     10:10 PM ET ATL/SD O7.0 (-116.28), risking $500 to win $435.
     
    KktdocT
    KktdocT
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 66757
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 2:26 PM ET #6

    Reply
     
    capskip
    capskip
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2009
    Posts: 33526
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 2:32 PM ET #7

    Best of luck tonight..
    Reply
    Best of luck tonight..
     
    AlohaJoe
    AlohaJoe
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 2674
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 2:43 PM ET #8

    Reply
     
    firedotcom
    firedotcom
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2014
    Posts: 301
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 2:52 PM ET #9

    Quote Originally Posted by CapGun:

    BOL. I always get sheepish about rematches (like the recent Samardzija vs Feldman rematch) but this Sale vs. Darnell 2 match just seems so easy. My book has it at -300 ML and -130 RL. Basically math says the RL should be WAY more juiced but books really never make RL more than -130. Sale on 6 days rest at home? Yes please.Definitely more of a hitters park than the last matchup at Target but Sale always has better numbers at home which is mind boggling considering US Cellular adds 25% more avg offensive production year over year. Sale is a freak and yes I'll say it, he's every bit as good as Kershaw and Price yet he literally gets no press. At all. Dude gives up a .129 and .212 BAA to LH and RH hitters respectively. Kershaw is at .161 and .196

    This is the game im really focused on and skyology and capgun give great points. Ultimately I agree with both of you. I too am a lil scared, if at all, with the rematch and too because of what happened to me in the 2 oakland rematches last week(Chavez game also). This year to this Date no one has been better than Sale, I agree not even Kershaw. He is so tough on lefties they must feel the pitches are coming from 1st base and shooting across their knees n chest where luck is the only way they can line one up. And the reason im going ahead with for me a huge play Wsox runline, in spite of the rematch, is because Sale didnt just get win but totally dominated the twins,8complete 12ks 2w 5h 0runs. So even the fact they just saw him shouldnt help that much. And we know wsox have pretty good offense and theyve been hitting so this is where you bet big if you ask me. Im expecting 6-2 game at worst GL n thanks guys
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by CapGun:

    BOL. I always get sheepish about rematches (like the recent Samardzija vs Feldman rematch) but this Sale vs. Darnell 2 match just seems so easy. My book has it at -300 ML and -130 RL. Basically math says the RL should be WAY more juiced but books really never make RL more than -130. Sale on 6 days rest at home? Yes please.Definitely more of a hitters park than the last matchup at Target but Sale always has better numbers at home which is mind boggling considering US Cellular adds 25% more avg offensive production year over year. Sale is a freak and yes I'll say it, he's every bit as good as Kershaw and Price yet he literally gets no press. At all. Dude gives up a .129 and .212 BAA to LH and RH hitters respectively. Kershaw is at .161 and .196

    This is the game im really focused on and skyology and capgun give great points. Ultimately I agree with both of you. I too am a lil scared, if at all, with the rematch and too because of what happened to me in the 2 oakland rematches last week(Chavez game also). This year to this Date no one has been better than Sale, I agree not even Kershaw. He is so tough on lefties they must feel the pitches are coming from 1st base and shooting across their knees n chest where luck is the only way they can line one up. And the reason im going ahead with for me a huge play Wsox runline, in spite of the rematch, is because Sale didnt just get win but totally dominated the twins,8complete 12ks 2w 5h 0runs. So even the fact they just saw him shouldnt help that much. And we know wsox have pretty good offense and theyve been hitting so this is where you bet big if you ask me. Im expecting 6-2 game at worst GL n thanks guys
     
    Sykology
    Sykology
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 255
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 2:58 PM ET #10

    xcorujax 

    CapGun 

    FullyLoaded 

    KktdocT 

    capskip 

    AlohaJoe 

    firedotcom 


    firedotcom, best of luck to you on that play. $1,000 is a substantial play for me but I'm all to aware that any pitcher is capable of blowing up at any time. If I have to pick someone to avoid that it's Sale, and the offensive imbalance does make this play look good.
    Reply
    xcorujax 

    CapGun 

    FullyLoaded 

    KktdocT 

    capskip 

    AlohaJoe 

    firedotcom 


    firedotcom, best of luck to you on that play. $1,000 is a substantial play for me but I'm all to aware that any pitcher is capable of blowing up at any time. If I have to pick someone to avoid that it's Sale, and the offensive imbalance does make this play look good.
     
    thaknuts
    thaknuts
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2011
    Posts: 871
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 3:16 PM ET #11

    diggin ur right right ups bro, will be tracking u closely....
    Reply
    diggin ur right right ups bro, will be tracking u closely....
     
    BetsBetsBets
    BetsBetsBets
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2014
    Posts: 26
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 3:24 PM ET #12

    GL
    Reply
    GL
     
    JohnBlaze12
    JohnBlaze12
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2014
    Posts: 423
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 3:29 PM ET #13

    Syk, Try using another font. your post runs off the edge and people can't read half of the sentences in your post because it's not on the page.  This what your post could look like if you switch to Arial font and then make sure you have word wrap enabled to keep all the words on the page:
     
     
     
    YTD: 0-0-0

    Disclaimer: I have bet on MLB this season, and I am setting my YTD record at 0-0-0 only because I am going to being posting a daily thread and it simplifies everything. If you are worried that I'm trying to cover up a history of losing, feel free to check my post history. I'm coming off a recent challenge where I doubled a $5,000 bankroll in only five days.

    Philosophy: I believe that less is more. On some days I will make a number of plays, but I will almost never make more than one play on a single game. There can be value in doing that, but I would argue that in the long term it would be better to just bet a little more on whichever bet you prefer (if you are a good handicapper). I also don't mind laying some juice. Some posters here seem to be incredibly afraid of it, but I think it's a rash decision to avoid juice even where it is justified. In terms of bet sizing, I can be a little bit erratic. There is an argument to be made for always using the same bet size, but that's just not my style. 

    Current Card

    8:10 PM ET Chicago White Sox RL (-125), risking $1,000 to win $800.
    First of all, Sale is rock solid, that's just a fact. Further, the White Sox are pretty strong at home and the Twins struggle on the road. Obviously, the starter for the Twins having a 7.88 ERA is a huge plus, but it becomes massively important when you realize that he went up against the White Sox on July 26th (his only MLB start) and gave up 7 runs in 5 innings. Better yet, that 7-0 win for the White Sox came with Sale at the helm. 
    One of my favorite betting opportunities is to take a pitcher who beat the opposing pitcher very recently. I suppose this is obvious but I think there is not only a statistical value, but also a very clear psychological one. There is no way that Darnell is going to come into the game tomorrow with his head in the right place. The fact that he knows his team is by far the weaker offensively should have him somewhat of a basket case. After putting on two terrible performances in his first two chances to pitch in MLB, I expect Darnell to be afraid to throw anywhere near the middle of the strike-zone tomorrow, and that should lead to many walks and big time scoring for the White Sox.

    10:10 PM ET Braves/Padres O7.0 (-116.28), risking $500 to win $435.
    I wrote a long explanation for this pick but my laptop decided to malfunction, so I will keep it short and sweet. While neither team brings in runs at an alarming rate, both of these pitchers give whatever team they face the opportunity to score a ton of runs. Stults is one of the worst pitchers in the game, and the Braves love to feast on lefties. Minor is overall a good pitcher but he looks completely lost lately, and will offer up some walks if the Padres will only take them. He has really struggled with his command.
    Another key fact is that this pitching match was played on July 26th and ended with 11 runs, a full 4 runs over this total. Additionally, in Minor's last 9 starts, the total number of runs scored has been at or over the set total for this game. Basically, either of these pitchers could give up 8 runs alone on a bad day, and hopefully they will work together to help the over land tomorrow. I'm only betting a medium amount on the game because both teams have solid bullpens.

    It's late, but I will almost certainly put on a couple more plays tomorrow. Talk it up, I value the opinions of people who take the time to analyze games and post here.

    Good luck! 
     
     
    Reply
    Syk, Try using another font. your post runs off the edge and people can't read half of the sentences in your post because it's not on the page.  This what your post could look like if you switch to Arial font and then make sure you have word wrap enabled to keep all the words on the page:
     
     
     
    YTD: 0-0-0

    Disclaimer: I have bet on MLB this season, and I am setting my YTD record at 0-0-0 only because I am going to being posting a daily thread and it simplifies everything. If you are worried that I'm trying to cover up a history of losing, feel free to check my post history. I'm coming off a recent challenge where I doubled a $5,000 bankroll in only five days.

    Philosophy: I believe that less is more. On some days I will make a number of plays, but I will almost never make more than one play on a single game. There can be value in doing that, but I would argue that in the long term it would be better to just bet a little more on whichever bet you prefer (if you are a good handicapper). I also don't mind laying some juice. Some posters here seem to be incredibly afraid of it, but I think it's a rash decision to avoid juice even where it is justified. In terms of bet sizing, I can be a little bit erratic. There is an argument to be made for always using the same bet size, but that's just not my style. 

    Current Card

    8:10 PM ET Chicago White Sox RL (-125), risking $1,000 to win $800.
    First of all, Sale is rock solid, that's just a fact. Further, the White Sox are pretty strong at home and the Twins struggle on the road. Obviously, the starter for the Twins having a 7.88 ERA is a huge plus, but it becomes massively important when you realize that he went up against the White Sox on July 26th (his only MLB start) and gave up 7 runs in 5 innings. Better yet, that 7-0 win for the White Sox came with Sale at the helm. 
    One of my favorite betting opportunities is to take a pitcher who beat the opposing pitcher very recently. I suppose this is obvious but I think there is not only a statistical value, but also a very clear psychological one. There is no way that Darnell is going to come into the game tomorrow with his head in the right place. The fact that he knows his team is by far the weaker offensively should have him somewhat of a basket case. After putting on two terrible performances in his first two chances to pitch in MLB, I expect Darnell to be afraid to throw anywhere near the middle of the strike-zone tomorrow, and that should lead to many walks and big time scoring for the White Sox.

    10:10 PM ET Braves/Padres O7.0 (-116.28), risking $500 to win $435.
    I wrote a long explanation for this pick but my laptop decided to malfunction, so I will keep it short and sweet. While neither team brings in runs at an alarming rate, both of these pitchers give whatever team they face the opportunity to score a ton of runs. Stults is one of the worst pitchers in the game, and the Braves love to feast on lefties. Minor is overall a good pitcher but he looks completely lost lately, and will offer up some walks if the Padres will only take them. He has really struggled with his command.
    Another key fact is that this pitching match was played on July 26th and ended with 11 runs, a full 4 runs over this total. Additionally, in Minor's last 9 starts, the total number of runs scored has been at or over the set total for this game. Basically, either of these pitchers could give up 8 runs alone on a bad day, and hopefully they will work together to help the over land tomorrow. I'm only betting a medium amount on the game because both teams have solid bullpens.

    It's late, but I will almost certainly put on a couple more plays tomorrow. Talk it up, I value the opinions of people who take the time to analyze games and post here.

    Good luck! 
     
     
     
    Sykology
    Sykology
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 255
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 3:35 PM ET #14

     Thanks, not sure where word wrap is, though. 


     7:10 PM ET Marlins ML (-116.28), risking $1,000 to win $870.

    In general I have a rule that says not to play a pitcher after a recent trade. I don't think that applies here, however. First of all, Cosart was moved from a team with absolutely no playoff aspirations, to one where the dream is very much still alive. This is a huge motivational boost for anyone. Additionally, the Reds have never seen Cosart pitch, and it's always huge to have a pitcher with some experience that the opponent has never gone up against. 

    As far as Latos is concerned, he is a decent pitcher, but he's going to face a seriously rough atmosphere tonight and he can't really expect the Reds to bail him out if he gives up a few. Further more, the 6 starters from yesterday's games with 3 or more at bats against Latos average out to a combined 37.5% OBP. In particular, Stanton is 4/8 against him. Just one big swing by Stanton could close out the game with the Reds abysmal offense.

    When it comes down to it, even though Cosart has just changed teams, he will have a ton of support tonight. The entire Marlins club feel that they got cheated yesterday (I concur), and there is absolutely no better motivation for a team and a better environment for a pitcher new to the team to be in. If you subscribe to the idea that baseball games are occasionally fixed, I can also assure you that this would not be the one to worry about today. Early line movement is good for the Marlins, as are the statistical and psychological factors, and I think they bounce back with a win. One last item of interest is the way Chapman was feeling last night. His command was off somewhat and he didn't appear to be feeling well. That never hurts.

    Updated Card

     7:10 PM ET Marlins ML (-116.28), risking $1,000 to win $870.

     8:10 PM ET White Sox RL (-125), risking $1,000 to win $800.

     10:10 PM ET ATL/SD O7.0 (-116.28), risking $500 to win $435.


    Reply
     Thanks, not sure where word wrap is, though. 


     7:10 PM ET Marlins ML (-116.28), risking $1,000 to win $870.

    In general I have a rule that says not to play a pitcher after a recent trade. I don't think that applies here, however. First of all, Cosart was moved from a team with absolutely no playoff aspirations, to one where the dream is very much still alive. This is a huge motivational boost for anyone. Additionally, the Reds have never seen Cosart pitch, and it's always huge to have a pitcher with some experience that the opponent has never gone up against. 

    As far as Latos is concerned, he is a decent pitcher, but he's going to face a seriously rough atmosphere tonight and he can't really expect the Reds to bail him out if he gives up a few. Further more, the 6 starters from yesterday's games with 3 or more at bats against Latos average out to a combined 37.5% OBP. In particular, Stanton is 4/8 against him. Just one big swing by Stanton could close out the game with the Reds abysmal offense.

    When it comes down to it, even though Cosart has just changed teams, he will have a ton of support tonight. The entire Marlins club feel that they got cheated yesterday (I concur), and there is absolutely no better motivation for a team and a better environment for a pitcher new to the team to be in. If you subscribe to the idea that baseball games are occasionally fixed, I can also assure you that this would not be the one to worry about today. Early line movement is good for the Marlins, as are the statistical and psychological factors, and I think they bounce back with a win. One last item of interest is the way Chapman was feeling last night. His command was off somewhat and he didn't appear to be feeling well. That never hurts.

    Updated Card

     7:10 PM ET Marlins ML (-116.28), risking $1,000 to win $870.

     8:10 PM ET White Sox RL (-125), risking $1,000 to win $800.

     10:10 PM ET ATL/SD O7.0 (-116.28), risking $500 to win $435.


     
    Kaka123
    Kaka123
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2011
    Posts: 9003
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 3:42 PM ET #15

    @ Sykology

    Why did you reset your record? Losing?
    Reply
    @ Sykology

    Why did you reset your record? Losing?
     
    Sykology
    Sykology
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 255
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 3:52 PM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaka123:

    @ Sykology

    Why did you reset your record? Losing?

    From above: 

    Disclaimer: I have bet on MLB this season, and I am setting my YTD record at 0-0-0 only because I am going to being posting a daily thread and it simplifies everything. If you are worried that I'm trying to cover up a history of losing, feel free to check my post history. I'm coming off a recent challenge where I doubled a $5,000 bankroll in only five days. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've only recently started focusing on baseball primarily. I have bet soccer, basketball, hockey, tennis, etc. I'm pretty competent with tennis and soccer and average at best at the other two. The main reason I reset my record is because I've been doing challenges instead of daily threads and hadn't posted daily plays in a long time prior to that. I have no idea what my YTD record is, and don't feel like totaling it up. If you want to do so, have at it. For what it's worth I also failed in a challenge to triple $1,000 in a week due to some bad breaks, but you are welcome to research that as well.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaka123:

    @ Sykology

    Why did you reset your record? Losing?

    From above: 

    Disclaimer: I have bet on MLB this season, and I am setting my YTD record at 0-0-0 only because I am going to being posting a daily thread and it simplifies everything. If you are worried that I'm trying to cover up a history of losing, feel free to check my post history. I'm coming off a recent challenge where I doubled a $5,000 bankroll in only five days. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've only recently started focusing on baseball primarily. I have bet soccer, basketball, hockey, tennis, etc. I'm pretty competent with tennis and soccer and average at best at the other two. The main reason I reset my record is because I've been doing challenges instead of daily threads and hadn't posted daily plays in a long time prior to that. I have no idea what my YTD record is, and don't feel like totaling it up. If you want to do so, have at it. For what it's worth I also failed in a challenge to triple $1,000 in a week due to some bad breaks, but you are welcome to research that as well.

     
    Sykology
    Sykology
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 255
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 3:56 PM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaka123:

    @ Sykology

    Why did you reset your record? Losing?

    Ah, here's a thread where I lost quite a bit: 
    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=27&sub=101897619 

    I was betting too many games back then and not focusing on the key stats. The history is there and I don't want people blindly tailing me. With that said, I'm not going to go back and total up all of those wins/losses and force myself to run with a record that no longer represents how I approach baseball betting.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaka123:

    @ Sykology

    Why did you reset your record? Losing?

    Ah, here's a thread where I lost quite a bit: 
    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=27&sub=101897619 

    I was betting too many games back then and not focusing on the key stats. The history is there and I don't want people blindly tailing me. With that said, I'm not going to go back and total up all of those wins/losses and force myself to run with a record that no longer represents how I approach baseball betting.

     
    Sykology
    Sykology
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 255
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 4:43 PM ET #18

     7:05 PM ET SEA/BAL U4.5 F5 (-125), risking $750 to win $600.

    This line looks like a steal to me. Both of these pitchers come out of the gate hot, and both did so in their most recent starts. Sure, that does mean that the batters recently saw what they have to offer, but since only 1 run was given up in 13 innings pitched between them, I think that's okay. Both are pitching on plenty of rest. In fact Chen hasn't pitched since July 24th.

    Neither of these teams tend to put a ton of runs on the board, and there is no reason to believe they will be tonight. The Orioles are coming off of a very long game last night, and should we wiped out. In fact, this is why I'm only taking the F5, since their bullpen has seen a lot of action. Whether this lands or not, it's still the right play, so we'll just have to see. 


    Updated Card

     7:05 PM ET SEA/BAL U4.5 F5 (-125), risking $750 to win $600.

     7:10 PM ET Marlins ML (-116.28), risking $1,000 to win $870.

     8:10 PM ET White Sox RL (-125), risking $1,000 to win $800.

     10:10 PM ET ATL/SD O7.0 (-116.28), risking $500 to win $435.


    Reply
     7:05 PM ET SEA/BAL U4.5 F5 (-125), risking $750 to win $600.

    This line looks like a steal to me. Both of these pitchers come out of the gate hot, and both did so in their most recent starts. Sure, that does mean that the batters recently saw what they have to offer, but since only 1 run was given up in 13 innings pitched between them, I think that's okay. Both are pitching on plenty of rest. In fact Chen hasn't pitched since July 24th.

    Neither of these teams tend to put a ton of runs on the board, and there is no reason to believe they will be tonight. The Orioles are coming off of a very long game last night, and should we wiped out. In fact, this is why I'm only taking the F5, since their bullpen has seen a lot of action. Whether this lands or not, it's still the right play, so we'll just have to see. 


    Updated Card

     7:05 PM ET SEA/BAL U4.5 F5 (-125), risking $750 to win $600.

     7:10 PM ET Marlins ML (-116.28), risking $1,000 to win $870.

     8:10 PM ET White Sox RL (-125), risking $1,000 to win $800.

     10:10 PM ET ATL/SD O7.0 (-116.28), risking $500 to win $435.


     
    ajaram21
    ajaram21
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2014
    Posts: 20
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 4:52 PM ET #19

    Im with you on your mia and cws picks. I have followed your challenge love your betting style bol.
    Reply
    Im with you on your mia and cws picks. I have followed your challenge love your betting style bol.
     
    Sykology
    Sykology
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 255
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 7:04 PM ET #20

    Line movement is really suggesting a good look at Seattle ML, but I've got all I want on right now.

    Reply
    Line movement is really suggesting a good look at Seattle ML, but I've got all I want on right now.

     
    Macwestie1
    Macwestie1
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2004
    Posts: 171394
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 8:05 PM ET #21

    GL Sykology
    What do you call an Eternal Optimist? An accordion player with a beeper!
    Reply
    GL Sykology
     
    Sykology
    Sykology
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 255
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 8:33 PM ET #22

     SEA/BAL U4.5 F5 (-125), risking $750 to win $600. 


    How many runners are the Marlins going to strand? Getting ridiculous.
    Reply
     SEA/BAL U4.5 F5 (-125), risking $750 to win $600. 


    How many runners are the Marlins going to strand? Getting ridiculous.
     
    Kaka123
    Kaka123
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2011
    Posts: 9003
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 8:41 PM ET #23

    Quote Originally Posted by Sykology:


    Ah, here's a thread where I lost quite a bit: 
    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=27&sub=101897619 

    I was betting too many games back then and not focusing on the key stats. The history is there and I don't want people blindly tailing me. With that said, I'm not going to go back and total up all of those wins/losses and force myself to run with a record that no longer represents how I approach baseball betting.



    So you're saying that you lost and you don't want to count your loses towards you record?
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykology:


    Ah, here's a thread where I lost quite a bit: 
    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=27&sub=101897619 

    I was betting too many games back then and not focusing on the key stats. The history is there and I don't want people blindly tailing me. With that said, I'm not going to go back and total up all of those wins/losses and force myself to run with a record that no longer represents how I approach baseball betting.



    So you're saying that you lost and you don't want to count your loses towards you record?
     
    bobmaloogatimesfive
    bobmaloogatimesfive
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2013
    Posts: 9399
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 8:43 PM ET #24

    Kaka - this dude has been doing well an has a winning record if you go back to past threads - he is just starting from scratch for this new posting style - wish him good luck
    Reply
    Kaka - this dude has been doing well an has a winning record if you go back to past threads - he is just starting from scratch for this new posting style - wish him good luck
     
     
    Sykology
    Sykology
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 255
    Posted: Aug. 1, 2014 - 8:51 PM ET #25

    bob 

    Haters gonna hate. I even posted a thread showing a day where I got smacked. Kaka is just living up to his name.
    Reply
    bob 

    Haters gonna hate. I even posted a thread showing a day where I got smacked. Kaka is just living up to his name.
    All Forums | MLB Betting Forum
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 455,278
    • Wednesday 09/30/2026 636
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,459
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 10,657
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,257
    • PHILLY/ATL live in game comments welcome 614
    • PART DEUX 122
    • Trump's legacy? 32,960
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 29,134
    • Trump lies so much. 22,910

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.