• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Investments

    The Stock Market - A daily diary

    «First Previous 282930 ... 383940 Next Last»
    gambleholic63
    Rush51
    Raiders22
    concavecapital
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 2740
    Posts: 997
    «First Previous 282930 ... 383940 Next Last»
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 11:22 AM ET #676

    I never understood the fascination with day trading/puts/calls and options. Not only do you need to be luckier (and smarter) than the typical investor, you are competing against the algos to get to the trades first. 95% will fail at that task alone. If you find your niche and you can somehow beat the algos to the trade consistently, you are rewarded by having to sit in front of a computer screen all day and pay higher short term trade taxes on your success. 

    I have come across many people in my life that have attempted some form of this and not one has been able to stick with it for long before going bust. Greed, poor money management, and that spectacular bad run of trades seems to wipe them out every time.  

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    I never understood the fascination with day trading/puts/calls and options. Not only do you need to be luckier (and smarter) than the typical investor, you are competing against the algos to get to the trades first. 95% will fail at that task alone. If you find your niche and you can somehow beat the algos to the trade consistently, you are rewarded by having to sit in front of a computer screen all day and pay higher short term trade taxes on your success. 

    I have come across many people in my life that have attempted some form of this and not one has been able to stick with it for long before going bust. Greed, poor money management, and that spectacular bad run of trades seems to wipe them out every time.  

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 5:29 PM ET #677

    It really is gambling when you get right down to it IMHO,.... and not investing...Just like your moniker says 'Gamble.   

    When you compress the timeframe for your "bet", it's like a coiled spring in one direction or the other.  

    Reply

    It really is gambling when you get right down to it IMHO,.... and not investing...Just like your moniker says 'Gamble.   

    When you compress the timeframe for your "bet", it's like a coiled spring in one direction or the other.  

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 5:42 PM ET #678

    Here's a good recent interview  with Burton Malkiel, the famed economist credited with writing  A Random Walk Down Wall Street nearly 30 years ago.

    I found it ironic he brought up the notion that he thinks many young people are replacing their sports betting with market betting.  I had mentioned this just last week, when talking about the poor soul who took his life on Robinhood with his options bet. 

    Here's a brief excerpt of the interview ; 

     

    Interviewer:  How do you feel about seeing investors, mostly younger people, turning to speculative trading to replace other forms of entertainment during the coronavirus lockdowns?

    Malkiel: I believe that for many of these people, it is a substitute for sports gambling....

     

    www.marketwatch.com/story/investing-legend-burton-malkiel-on-day-trading-millennials-the-end-of-the-6040-portfolio-and-more-2020-06-22

     

    Reply

    Here's a good recent interview  with Burton Malkiel, the famed economist credited with writing  A Random Walk Down Wall Street nearly 30 years ago.

    I found it ironic he brought up the notion that he thinks many young people are replacing their sports betting with market betting.  I had mentioned this just last week, when talking about the poor soul who took his life on Robinhood with his options bet. 

    Here's a brief excerpt of the interview ; 

     

    Interviewer:  How do you feel about seeing investors, mostly younger people, turning to speculative trading to replace other forms of entertainment during the coronavirus lockdowns?

    Malkiel: I believe that for many of these people, it is a substitute for sports gambling....

     

    www.marketwatch.com/story/investing-legend-burton-malkiel-on-day-trading-millennials-the-end-of-the-6040-portfolio-and-more-2020-06-22

     

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 6:56 PM ET #679

    Quote Originally Posted by gambleholic63:

    I never understood the fascination with day trading/puts/calls and options. Not only do you need to be luckier (and smarter) than the typical investor, you are competing against the algos to get to the trades first. 95% will fail at that task alone. If you find your niche and you can somehow beat the algos to the trade consistently, you are rewarded by having to sit in front of a computer screen all day and pay higher short term trade taxes on your success.  I have come across many people in my life that have attempted some form of this and not one has been able to stick with it for long before going bust. Greed, poor money management, and that spectacular bad run of trades seems to wipe them out every time.

    Maybe this is rhetorical...

    But the fascination part is easy to understand from a psychological standpoint.  

    You can make a lot of money, very quickly.  You can only lose what you ‘invest’ generally.  And people like the allure of becoming independently wealthy — and this looks like an easy way to do it, from home or wherever you have your smartphone at the time.

    It is like someone that plays a slot machine for the first time and hits a jackpot — they are ‘hooked’ now. Or when your friend tells you how he is making so-and-so amount in day trading.  You want to try it out and you think you can do it as well. 

    It is the reason people play the lottery. 

    It is the reason people play a 5-team parlay in sports.  They know they are better playing single play in the long run — but they want to hit the homerun, and quick. 

    Etc., etc.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by gambleholic63:

    I never understood the fascination with day trading/puts/calls and options. Not only do you need to be luckier (and smarter) than the typical investor, you are competing against the algos to get to the trades first. 95% will fail at that task alone. If you find your niche and you can somehow beat the algos to the trade consistently, you are rewarded by having to sit in front of a computer screen all day and pay higher short term trade taxes on your success.  I have come across many people in my life that have attempted some form of this and not one has been able to stick with it for long before going bust. Greed, poor money management, and that spectacular bad run of trades seems to wipe them out every time.

    Maybe this is rhetorical...

    But the fascination part is easy to understand from a psychological standpoint.  

    You can make a lot of money, very quickly.  You can only lose what you ‘invest’ generally.  And people like the allure of becoming independently wealthy — and this looks like an easy way to do it, from home or wherever you have your smartphone at the time.

    It is like someone that plays a slot machine for the first time and hits a jackpot — they are ‘hooked’ now. Or when your friend tells you how he is making so-and-so amount in day trading.  You want to try it out and you think you can do it as well. 

    It is the reason people play the lottery. 

    It is the reason people play a 5-team parlay in sports.  They know they are better playing single play in the long run — but they want to hit the homerun, and quick. 

    Etc., etc.

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 6:59 PM ET #680

    I have a list of several statistics I always present to people that want to start day trading.  So, I want to list — just a few (I have many more) — before I say what I want to say about them:

    80% of all day traders quit within the first two years.

    Among all day traders, nearly 40% day trade for only one month. Within three years, only 13% continue to day trade. After five years, only 7% remain.

    The average individual investor underperforms a market index by 1.5% per year. Active traders underperform by 6.5% annually.

    Day traders with strong past performance go on to earn strong returns in the future. Though only about 1% of all day traders are able to predictably profit net of fees.

    Traders with up to a 10 years negative track record continue to trade. This suggests that day traders even continue to trade when they receive a negative signal regarding their ability.

    Profitable day traders make up a small proportion of all traders – 1.6% in the average year. However, these day traders are very active – accounting for 12% of all day trading activity.

    Within each income group, gamblers underperform non-gamblers.

    Investors tend to sell winning investments while holding on to their losing investments.

    Trading in Taiwan dropped by about 25% when a lottery was introduced in April 2002.

    During periods with unusually large lottery jackpot, individual investor trading declines.

    Within each income group, gamblers underperform non-gamblers.

    Reply

    I have a list of several statistics I always present to people that want to start day trading.  So, I want to list — just a few (I have many more) — before I say what I want to say about them:

    80% of all day traders quit within the first two years.

    Among all day traders, nearly 40% day trade for only one month. Within three years, only 13% continue to day trade. After five years, only 7% remain.

    The average individual investor underperforms a market index by 1.5% per year. Active traders underperform by 6.5% annually.

    Day traders with strong past performance go on to earn strong returns in the future. Though only about 1% of all day traders are able to predictably profit net of fees.

    Traders with up to a 10 years negative track record continue to trade. This suggests that day traders even continue to trade when they receive a negative signal regarding their ability.

    Profitable day traders make up a small proportion of all traders – 1.6% in the average year. However, these day traders are very active – accounting for 12% of all day trading activity.

    Within each income group, gamblers underperform non-gamblers.

    Investors tend to sell winning investments while holding on to their losing investments.

    Trading in Taiwan dropped by about 25% when a lottery was introduced in April 2002.

    During periods with unusually large lottery jackpot, individual investor trading declines.

    Within each income group, gamblers underperform non-gamblers.

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 7:16 PM ET #681

    With all of that being said.  

    You can actually make money day trading.  I have done it.  I know people that have done it and still are doing it. 

    There are problems with doing it however.  It tends to attract the ‘gamblers’ more than the investors.  It tends to attract the ‘lazy’ investor instead of one that wants to do the due-diligence required.  

    You can make money sports betting.  But how many people do you know that really do it, out of all of the ones that bet?  

    It is somewhat like playing poker.  Some folks sit down to grind it out and study the game to improve their game. But a lot more are just gamblers looking to have a good time, some free drinks and food, and some nice table talk — while they watch the game on tv.  

    You have to build up a bankroll first.  Usually by working a regular job and stockpiling — while studying and researching and talking to folks.  Papertrade a lit.  Nowadays there are even platforms where you can trade online to see how you ‘would’ do without putting in cash.  You can also backrest any ‘strategy or method’ you would like to try out. 

    BUT you absolutely have to treat it like a job.  If you are single and young and have a mind for it AND the time — it can be done.  But you cannot just jump in with both feet.  Have a plan. For example, you are will have to know you cannot put more than a certain amount of your bankroll into any one trade — just like sports betting.  You cannot just swing for the f news with every trade.  

    Study is the key thing.  There are many, many complex strategies — especially with options. 

    But you have to put the work in and be able to handle the stress of the ups and downs.  But always keep your day job while trying it out.  

    Otherwise, just treat it like the lottery ticket — you either hit or miss — and keep moving on but don’t expect it to be your day job if that is your ‘strategy’. 

    Reply

    With all of that being said.  

    You can actually make money day trading.  I have done it.  I know people that have done it and still are doing it. 

    There are problems with doing it however.  It tends to attract the ‘gamblers’ more than the investors.  It tends to attract the ‘lazy’ investor instead of one that wants to do the due-diligence required.  

    You can make money sports betting.  But how many people do you know that really do it, out of all of the ones that bet?  

    It is somewhat like playing poker.  Some folks sit down to grind it out and study the game to improve their game. But a lot more are just gamblers looking to have a good time, some free drinks and food, and some nice table talk — while they watch the game on tv.  

    You have to build up a bankroll first.  Usually by working a regular job and stockpiling — while studying and researching and talking to folks.  Papertrade a lit.  Nowadays there are even platforms where you can trade online to see how you ‘would’ do without putting in cash.  You can also backrest any ‘strategy or method’ you would like to try out. 

    BUT you absolutely have to treat it like a job.  If you are single and young and have a mind for it AND the time — it can be done.  But you cannot just jump in with both feet.  Have a plan. For example, you are will have to know you cannot put more than a certain amount of your bankroll into any one trade — just like sports betting.  You cannot just swing for the f news with every trade.  

    Study is the key thing.  There are many, many complex strategies — especially with options. 

    But you have to put the work in and be able to handle the stress of the ups and downs.  But always keep your day job while trying it out.  

    Otherwise, just treat it like the lottery ticket — you either hit or miss — and keep moving on but don’t expect it to be your day job if that is your ‘strategy’. 

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 7:21 PM ET #682

    But it is not an either/or situation.  

    You can AND should be investing for the long haul and retirement at the same time.  

    You should AT ALL TIMES be maxed out in a matching 401k if possible.  Or maxing out your IRA, etc.  

    Then do your sports betting and day trading on the side.  Then see if you can handle it and are good at it.  Then maybe put more time or money into it. 

    BUT never let it take away from your saving and investing for retirement.  

    If nothing else, it can be an interesting hobby — and, hopefully, somewhat profitable. 

    Reply

    But it is not an either/or situation.  

    You can AND should be investing for the long haul and retirement at the same time.  

    You should AT ALL TIMES be maxed out in a matching 401k if possible.  Or maxing out your IRA, etc.  

    Then do your sports betting and day trading on the side.  Then see if you can handle it and are good at it.  Then maybe put more time or money into it. 

    BUT never let it take away from your saving and investing for retirement.  

    If nothing else, it can be an interesting hobby — and, hopefully, somewhat profitable. 

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 7:40 PM ET #683

    Rush,

    Malkiel has always been an interesting guy.  He has been one of the few old-school that has adapted his ideas.  

    At one time he was somewhat dismissive of ‘experts’ and ETFs.  Now, he has become a big proponent of them. 

    He always had not liked ‘smart beta’ because of their taxes and expenses. He used to refer to it as ‘expensive beta’.  He pretty much now has admitted otherwise. 

    He was always mostly an ‘efficient-market’ guy.  And his point for sure is valid.  But old-school types are sometimes hard to change their minds. For sure, at one time, the ‘inefficiencies’ were hard to extract because of the fees, etc.   But, I believe, he has now acknowledged that some ‘inefficiencies’ can be exploited.  

    Amazing what computers have done for the market and the traders, including changing their mindset. 

    But he has always been a good interview.  an_cheers

    Reply

    Rush,

    Malkiel has always been an interesting guy.  He has been one of the few old-school that has adapted his ideas.  

    At one time he was somewhat dismissive of ‘experts’ and ETFs.  Now, he has become a big proponent of them. 

    He always had not liked ‘smart beta’ because of their taxes and expenses. He used to refer to it as ‘expensive beta’.  He pretty much now has admitted otherwise. 

    He was always mostly an ‘efficient-market’ guy.  And his point for sure is valid.  But old-school types are sometimes hard to change their minds. For sure, at one time, the ‘inefficiencies’ were hard to extract because of the fees, etc.   But, I believe, he has now acknowledged that some ‘inefficiencies’ can be exploited.  

    Amazing what computers have done for the market and the traders, including changing their mindset. 

    But he has always been a good interview.  an_cheers

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 8:33 PM ET #684

    Just because I didn’t remember the date. I looked it up. 2020-1973 = 47 years ago.  And 12 editions. 

    Wow. an_eek2

    Reply

    Just because I didn’t remember the date. I looked it up. 2020-1973 = 47 years ago.  And 12 editions. 

    Wow. an_eek2

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 9:22 PM ET #685

    Yeah. There are a ton of gamblers playing the markets at the current time. Maybe not 100,000 Dave Portnoy's, but yeah....gamblers are in the markets for sure. Portnoy is probably the poster child for how to lose a fortune day trading (and yes, I'm aware that he made one million dollars day trading on a single day last month). 

    TIME is literally the only thing 80% of the people on earth need to become a millionaire assuming the 80% is willing to get a job. Unfortunately, too many people want what they want while maxing out credit cards or risking everything on day trading, frequent casino trips, playing the lottery or doing a number of other wealth destroying activities. 

    I'm way off subject here but I believe our education system is flawed. Every high school should have a course in personal financial management. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Yeah. There are a ton of gamblers playing the markets at the current time. Maybe not 100,000 Dave Portnoy's, but yeah....gamblers are in the markets for sure. Portnoy is probably the poster child for how to lose a fortune day trading (and yes, I'm aware that he made one million dollars day trading on a single day last month). 

    TIME is literally the only thing 80% of the people on earth need to become a millionaire assuming the 80% is willing to get a job. Unfortunately, too many people want what they want while maxing out credit cards or risking everything on day trading, frequent casino trips, playing the lottery or doing a number of other wealth destroying activities. 

    I'm way off subject here but I believe our education system is flawed. Every high school should have a course in personal financial management. 

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 10:09 PM ET #686

    Gamble,

    I don’t think it is off subject at all. 

    I have been saying they need a class like that in school for years. 

    Unless your dad is a CPA or something — you are not taught this stuff at home or at school.  You absolutely have to learn it the hard way. Very tough because it is too tempting to follow the Jones’s down the wrong path. peace_5

    Reply

    Gamble,

    I don’t think it is off subject at all. 

    I have been saying they need a class like that in school for years. 

    Unless your dad is a CPA or something — you are not taught this stuff at home or at school.  You absolutely have to learn it the hard way. Very tough because it is too tempting to follow the Jones’s down the wrong path. peace_5

     
    concavecapital
    concavecapital
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 4815
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 11:10 PM ET #687

    Anyone know of a site that lists the prior days’  prices for calls and puts of any given stock ?  

    Reply

    Anyone know of a site that lists the prior days’  prices for calls and puts of any given stock ?  

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 - 11:31 PM ET #688

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22:

    Gamble, I don’t think it is off subject at all.  I have been saying they need a class like that in school for years.  Unless your dad is a CPA or something — you are not taught this stuff at home or at school.  You absolutely have to learn it the hard way. Very tough because it is too tempting to follow the Jones’s down the wrong path.

    It's funny we've all thought the same thing .  When I look at all the people in our society who are not very good at their finances, I wonder .. how did we get here ?  How are people so poor at managing money ? I, too, have thought that the high school curriculum needs a personal finance and investment class.  Start with the first... ( i.e. teach SAVE to our students), and then you can teach them the benefits of investing  ( and Compound Interest).  Heck, throw out he Economics course they teach as a senior in H.S .... at least that's how it was at my school eons ago.. lol.   Get rid of it , or spend maybe 20 %  with it and 40% w the other two.

    Back to my original comment...lots of  people are not very good at Managing money,   because I've read more than once recently that around half of all Americans have only around $400 as an emergency fund. What on earth are people thinking?  SAVE !  .  Most people get into trouble w finances not because they don't earn enough money , but because they SPEND too much.  

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders22:

    Gamble, I don’t think it is off subject at all.  I have been saying they need a class like that in school for years.  Unless your dad is a CPA or something — you are not taught this stuff at home or at school.  You absolutely have to learn it the hard way. Very tough because it is too tempting to follow the Jones’s down the wrong path.

    It's funny we've all thought the same thing .  When I look at all the people in our society who are not very good at their finances, I wonder .. how did we get here ?  How are people so poor at managing money ? I, too, have thought that the high school curriculum needs a personal finance and investment class.  Start with the first... ( i.e. teach SAVE to our students), and then you can teach them the benefits of investing  ( and Compound Interest).  Heck, throw out he Economics course they teach as a senior in H.S .... at least that's how it was at my school eons ago.. lol.   Get rid of it , or spend maybe 20 %  with it and 40% w the other two.

    Back to my original comment...lots of  people are not very good at Managing money,   because I've read more than once recently that around half of all Americans have only around $400 as an emergency fund. What on earth are people thinking?  SAVE !  .  Most people get into trouble w finances not because they don't earn enough money , but because they SPEND too much.  

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 24, 2020 - 1:22 AM ET #689

    Quote Originally Posted by concavecapital:

    Anyone know of a site that lists the prior days’  prices for calls and puts of any given stock ?

    Pretty much all of them?  For example, I am looking at BA calls right now.  Traded from 2.89 - 6.90 range.  Can see the chart and everything. 

    Opened at 6.45 and closed at 5.00.  

    Is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by concavecapital:

    Anyone know of a site that lists the prior days’  prices for calls and puts of any given stock ?

    Pretty much all of them?  For example, I am looking at BA calls right now.  Traded from 2.89 - 6.90 range.  Can see the chart and everything. 

    Opened at 6.45 and closed at 5.00.  

    Is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

     
    concavecapital
    concavecapital
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 4815
    Posted: Jun. 24, 2020 - 4:33 PM ET #690

    I can only see the CURRENT days pricing of calls at my own price 

     

    I put in 7 June 18 calls for APT

    monday it tanked , Tuesday and today were very good days    Stock closed today at 19.11 after I bought it at 17 on Monday morning at 1.19      Current value at 1.80 and it hit up to 2.8 today.  I wish I could be in front of a computer all day , but then again maybe I sell the calls too early.   As more and more states make masks mandatory , let’s hope for one more big day for APT before they expire on Friday

    Reply

    I can only see the CURRENT days pricing of calls at my own price 

     

    I put in 7 June 18 calls for APT

    monday it tanked , Tuesday and today were very good days    Stock closed today at 19.11 after I bought it at 17 on Monday morning at 1.19      Current value at 1.80 and it hit up to 2.8 today.  I wish I could be in front of a computer all day , but then again maybe I sell the calls too early.   As more and more states make masks mandatory , let’s hope for one more big day for APT before they expire on Friday

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 24, 2020 - 9:52 PM ET #691

    You have JUN 26 calls -- not JUN 18?  You do not have a sell order in place?  You could've made 135% today?  With 3 days left you should've been okay with that?

    I am confused on what you are doing?

    But you should be able to see the chart for the past few days?  I mean -- if I am looking at what I think you have, it traded at the highest since the middle of May? 

    So, you don't need to be in front of a computer all day -- or smartphone -- just put the order in and let it get filled?

    Reply

    You have JUN 26 calls -- not JUN 18?  You do not have a sell order in place?  You could've made 135% today?  With 3 days left you should've been okay with that?

    I am confused on what you are doing?

    But you should be able to see the chart for the past few days?  I mean -- if I am looking at what I think you have, it traded at the highest since the middle of May? 

    So, you don't need to be in front of a computer all day -- or smartphone -- just put the order in and let it get filled?

     
    concavecapital
    concavecapital
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 4815
    Posted: Jun. 24, 2020 - 11:07 PM ET #692

    I’m on the road from market open till about 230 so I have an hour and a half usually till market close so I can see what’s been going on.  Your absolutely right though.  This thing was at 20.6 today and closed barely over 19.  I’m holding for one more day hopefully.  Just wish I knew how the hell to “put the order in “ and get it filled.  
    no idea what that means.  you said that since the start but I’m clueless 

    Reply

    I’m on the road from market open till about 230 so I have an hour and a half usually till market close so I can see what’s been going on.  Your absolutely right though.  This thing was at 20.6 today and closed barely over 19.  I’m holding for one more day hopefully.  Just wish I knew how the hell to “put the order in “ and get it filled.  
    no idea what that means.  you said that since the start but I’m clueless 

     
    concavecapital
    concavecapital
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 4815
    Posted: Jun. 24, 2020 - 11:12 PM ET #693

    “Sell open”?  but then what ...   maybe type in a price you want it to hit and if it does 

    something automatically triggers it and it unloads all your calls at a nice profit?   

     

    Reply

    “Sell open”?  but then what ...   maybe type in a price you want it to hit and if it does 

    something automatically triggers it and it unloads all your calls at a nice profit?   

     

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 25, 2020 - 12:57 AM ET #694

    Yes   --  with short term  AND especially with very short term    ALWAYS have a stop loss order in place to cut your losses (if necessary) AND a limit order that gets triggered at a certain price or above.  AND make it a one-cancels-all or one-cancels-other type trade.  Or whatever wording your platform uses.

    You cannot just hope to eyeball short term option trades,  Make this a normal part of your trading pattern.  BUY--then PLACE SELL ORDERS!

    Reply

    Yes   --  with short term  AND especially with very short term    ALWAYS have a stop loss order in place to cut your losses (if necessary) AND a limit order that gets triggered at a certain price or above.  AND make it a one-cancels-all or one-cancels-other type trade.  Or whatever wording your platform uses.

    You cannot just hope to eyeball short term option trades,  Make this a normal part of your trading pattern.  BUY--then PLACE SELL ORDERS!

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 25, 2020 - 7:13 PM ET #695

    So, how did it go today?  I see opened at 2.00 and traded up to 2.57 and then went right down to .55 and closed at .90.

    Were you able to sell?  Or are you waiting to try to get out tomorrow?

    Reply

    So, how did it go today?  I see opened at 2.00 and traded up to 2.57 and then went right down to .55 and closed at .90.

    Were you able to sell?  Or are you waiting to try to get out tomorrow?

     
    concavecapital
    concavecapital
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 4815
    Posted: Jun. 25, 2020 - 7:22 PM ET #696

    Absolutely crazy.  Within a half hour the stock was at 20.3 I believe     Of course I could’ve got out making more than double on the options but I waited thinking it’d be bullish all day lol.   In your opinion what do you make of this stock being added to the Russell index tomorrow ? Of course everyone is bullish on this idea which makes me nervous about tomorrow.   I read an article Saying that when stocks enter this it is rare but sometimes they can see an entire weeks volume in just the one day?  That’s ridiculous.   so I’m holding firm Hoping this bastard jumps big tomorrow 

    Reply

    Absolutely crazy.  Within a half hour the stock was at 20.3 I believe     Of course I could’ve got out making more than double on the options but I waited thinking it’d be bullish all day lol.   In your opinion what do you make of this stock being added to the Russell index tomorrow ? Of course everyone is bullish on this idea which makes me nervous about tomorrow.   I read an article Saying that when stocks enter this it is rare but sometimes they can see an entire weeks volume in just the one day?  That’s ridiculous.   so I’m holding firm Hoping this bastard jumps big tomorrow 

     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 25, 2020 - 9:26 PM ET #697

    Okay, I guess.  But you better have orders in just in case.  You don't want to let them expire worthless.  No need in losing all your money.  Be prepared to cut losses or have a plan to get out with some profit. 

    I like it.  Right now I like it.  I have over a 1/3 of my holdings in Russell right now.  They are a growing company for sure.  The only, obvious, concern is how much of this sudden growth is directly due to the demand for their PPE -- especially the N95s.  Maybe, this dries up soon or maybe it is sustainable.  I know Hoffman has exercised a few times lately with, of course, good success 8/10 or so and around 24% return.  But honestly have not researched their sheet or looked at any of their fundamentals.  So, cannot give you an informed opinion.  But it has really out-performed the index itself so far, etc.

    If I were looking at individual stocks -- I do think this would be looking at.

    Reply

    Okay, I guess.  But you better have orders in just in case.  You don't want to let them expire worthless.  No need in losing all your money.  Be prepared to cut losses or have a plan to get out with some profit. 

    I like it.  Right now I like it.  I have over a 1/3 of my holdings in Russell right now.  They are a growing company for sure.  The only, obvious, concern is how much of this sudden growth is directly due to the demand for their PPE -- especially the N95s.  Maybe, this dries up soon or maybe it is sustainable.  I know Hoffman has exercised a few times lately with, of course, good success 8/10 or so and around 24% return.  But honestly have not researched their sheet or looked at any of their fundamentals.  So, cannot give you an informed opinion.  But it has really out-performed the index itself so far, etc.

    If I were looking at individual stocks -- I do think this would be looking at.

     
    concavecapital
    concavecapital
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 4815
    Posted: Jun. 25, 2020 - 9:34 PM ET #698

    I just wish I could understand the significance of APT being added.   Someone mentioned on a different site that the majority of the buying or selling will be in the last hour of trading tomorrow.   And everybody long on this stock Is expecting only good things tomorrow because of this addition to the index.  Then in response another person said that the stock would’ve increased again today due to the news of the addition coming Friday.  Tomorrow is going to be huge.  You are correct had I had my orders in place I could’ve locked in profit when it hit above 20 numerous times Yesterday and today.  Another goofy question is how I’m down 18% on the trade since Monday.  The stock is at 18.6 which is higher than my strike but time decay plays here ?   

    Reply

    I just wish I could understand the significance of APT being added.   Someone mentioned on a different site that the majority of the buying or selling will be in the last hour of trading tomorrow.   And everybody long on this stock Is expecting only good things tomorrow because of this addition to the index.  Then in response another person said that the stock would’ve increased again today due to the news of the addition coming Friday.  Tomorrow is going to be huge.  You are correct had I had my orders in place I could’ve locked in profit when it hit above 20 numerous times Yesterday and today.  Another goofy question is how I’m down 18% on the trade since Monday.  The stock is at 18.6 which is higher than my strike but time decay plays here ?   

     
    concavecapital
    concavecapital
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 4815
    Posted: Jun. 25, 2020 - 9:40 PM ET #699

    So I’m toying around with it right now with “sell open”.  And limit at 19.5 just as a joke.   The error message says I cannot open The long and short position on the same stock.    I hate to be annoying here but could you walk me through the steps on what you’re talking about when you put in a stop lock on some profits  

    Reply

    So I’m toying around with it right now with “sell open”.  And limit at 19.5 just as a joke.   The error message says I cannot open The long and short position on the same stock.    I hate to be annoying here but could you walk me through the steps on what you’re talking about when you put in a stop lock on some profits  

     
     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34350
    Posted: Jun. 25, 2020 - 11:21 PM ET #700

    You should put in a one-cancels-all order -- it will have a limit order and a stop order.  Once one order or the other is triggered, it will cancel the other order.   Whatever site you are using will have the exact terms they use and have a guide on to place the order.  Or call and ask them how to place it.  But when you go to place your order you should have a few different choices or dropdowns to choose from, etc.

    Reply

    You should put in a one-cancels-all order -- it will have a limit order and a stop order.  Once one order or the other is triggered, it will cancel the other order.   Whatever site you are using will have the exact terms they use and have a guide on to place the order.  Or call and ask them how to place it.  But when you go to place your order you should have a few different choices or dropdowns to choose from, etc.

    All Forums | Investments
    «First Previous 282930 ... 383940 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,298
    • PART DEUX 223
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 266,067
    • Steelers vs Browns in-game live TNF 2,114
    • Cleveland Bettors 2,670
    • Friday 10/02/2026 804
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 30,341
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 12,151
    • Happening just recently . . . 36,844
    • Week 5 Money 5,574

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.