Protecting Your Employees?
AD,
As a fellow Texan, and just honest man, let me throw in my .02:
The way I see it, you are merely a pawn in the game...a number...a statistic. NO OFFENSE. Most of us are, no matter what position or field. The bottom line is that it's a business. The manager isn't going to stick his neck out, for a few hourly employees he can easily replace, when he himself is either salaried or otherwise secured in pay. HIS number one concern is making money; filling tables, fast ticket times, good service, etc. You know it and I know it. It sucks to fill like as an employee, he may not have your best interest in mind...but he really does. If the guests aren't there, there isn't money; so less product, less staff, less hours. It's just the cycle of the service industry bro.
But just to add the "experience" touch, I've been a part of Dave & Buster's for over 10+ years. Living in Tx, I'm sure you know of/been to one....nice place, a little classy, and pricey (like a steakhouse). Let me tell you, you would think those factors alone would make for good money; but it's a coin flip any given day. There are those who "save up" to go there, those who go just for the cheap drinks during happy hour, and now there are those who have flourished during the "eat & play" promotion. IT NEVER WAS LIKE THAT BEFORE...having to resort to "free games" or cheaper meals. But that's the reality of the economy and...the business! Now, you have those who couldn't afford it as much, coming out more. Does that mean that they automatically TIP the difference?? Of course not. The chance though, is to give the best service you can...keep them happy, coming back, etc. Word of mouth does more than you can fathom in the restaurant world.
And, if by any last resort, you can't get anything more than a "thank you" from your table...just get em outta there, and get a new one! Don't resort to bad/immoral tactics (though funny). Just flip your table, and turn the page...in your checkbook!!! LOL
Take care man, where in TX btw??![]()
AD,
As a fellow Texan, and just honest man, let me throw in my .02:
The way I see it, you are merely a pawn in the game...a number...a statistic. NO OFFENSE. Most of us are, no matter what position or field. The bottom line is that it's a business. The manager isn't going to stick his neck out, for a few hourly employees he can easily replace, when he himself is either salaried or otherwise secured in pay. HIS number one concern is making money; filling tables, fast ticket times, good service, etc. You know it and I know it. It sucks to fill like as an employee, he may not have your best interest in mind...but he really does. If the guests aren't there, there isn't money; so less product, less staff, less hours. It's just the cycle of the service industry bro.
But just to add the "experience" touch, I've been a part of Dave & Buster's for over 10+ years. Living in Tx, I'm sure you know of/been to one....nice place, a little classy, and pricey (like a steakhouse). Let me tell you, you would think those factors alone would make for good money; but it's a coin flip any given day. There are those who "save up" to go there, those who go just for the cheap drinks during happy hour, and now there are those who have flourished during the "eat & play" promotion. IT NEVER WAS LIKE THAT BEFORE...having to resort to "free games" or cheaper meals. But that's the reality of the economy and...the business! Now, you have those who couldn't afford it as much, coming out more. Does that mean that they automatically TIP the difference?? Of course not. The chance though, is to give the best service you can...keep them happy, coming back, etc. Word of mouth does more than you can fathom in the restaurant world.
And, if by any last resort, you can't get anything more than a "thank you" from your table...just get em outta there, and get a new one! Don't resort to bad/immoral tactics (though funny). Just flip your table, and turn the page...in your checkbook!!! LOL
Take care man, where in TX btw??![]()
I dont list my waitresses as waitresses or servers so the IRS doesnt snatch there tips, Also in CA the minimum wage is 8.00 per hour, My waitresses two of them got a raise from me last month, something unheard of in the industry.
Now to your bitching, here is the deal, HONESTLY, the customers dont have to tip you, they really dont, I have some douchebag customers like that, And no matter how much my waitresses take care of them, they never tip, so I take the liberty of padding there bill an extra 5 to 9 dollars and give it to my girls, Hey they are usually too drunk to know anyway.
Now before douchbag dude I told you comes in here and says this practice is wrong, Let me say
DOUCHE, I mean DUDE, I ALREADY KNOW it IS
But it makes me feel better and as a boss and owner, thats all that really matters is HOW I FEEL.
Now run along and get your shine box
I dont list my waitresses as waitresses or servers so the IRS doesnt snatch there tips, Also in CA the minimum wage is 8.00 per hour, My waitresses two of them got a raise from me last month, something unheard of in the industry.
Now to your bitching, here is the deal, HONESTLY, the customers dont have to tip you, they really dont, I have some douchebag customers like that, And no matter how much my waitresses take care of them, they never tip, so I take the liberty of padding there bill an extra 5 to 9 dollars and give it to my girls, Hey they are usually too drunk to know anyway.
Now before douchbag dude I told you comes in here and says this practice is wrong, Let me say
DOUCHE, I mean DUDE, I ALREADY KNOW it IS
But it makes me feel better and as a boss and owner, thats all that really matters is HOW I FEEL.
Now run along and get your shine box
If Mr. and Mrs. ZERO come to your table and leave the usual, say in a louder than needed voice
"Nothing for a tip AGAIN? What the fuck do I have to do to get a nickel out of you cheap fucks? I mean, NOTHING FOR A TIP? You are so tight they couldn't pull a pin outta your ass with a tractor! Are you kidding me?"
Throw a plate of ribs at them both, and crack a bottle of ketchup on the dudes head.
Now, you MAY get fired for this. I'm not saying this is no risk. But, wouldn't you feel better? I think we all would.
Good Luck
If Mr. and Mrs. ZERO come to your table and leave the usual, say in a louder than needed voice
"Nothing for a tip AGAIN? What the fuck do I have to do to get a nickel out of you cheap fucks? I mean, NOTHING FOR A TIP? You are so tight they couldn't pull a pin outta your ass with a tractor! Are you kidding me?"
Throw a plate of ribs at them both, and crack a bottle of ketchup on the dudes head.
Now, you MAY get fired for this. I'm not saying this is no risk. But, wouldn't you feel better? I think we all would.
Good Luck
I dont list my waitresses as waitresses or servers so the IRS doesnt snatch there tips, Also in CA the minimum wage is 8.00 per hour, My waitresses two of them got a raise from me last month, something unheard of in the industry.
Now to your bitching, here is the deal, HONESTLY, the customers dont have to tip you, they really dont, I have some douchebag customers like that, And no matter how much my waitresses take care of them, they never tip, so I take the liberty of padding there bill an extra 5 to 9 dollars and give it to my girls, Hey they are usually too drunk to know anyway.
Now before douchbag dude I told you comes in here and says this practice is wrong, Let me say
DOUCHE, I mean DUDE, I ALREADY KNOW it IS
But it makes me feel better and as a boss and owner, thats all that really matters is HOW I FEEL.
Now run along and get your shine box
Now, Now...no need to hack someone else's thread with your own pompus, self-righteous, "i'm-the-greatest-boss-slash-business-owner-ever" rant. We all understood how great of a man you were, when you shoved your charity cases down our throats.
![]()
![]()
Besides, with "ALL" you "DO"....it's no surprise you got raided. Here's to another karma kick in your punk-ass! admitting that you don't report to the IRS....ha....good one! Why not complete the trifecta and tell us all the name of your business????
![]()
![]()
![]()
I dont list my waitresses as waitresses or servers so the IRS doesnt snatch there tips, Also in CA the minimum wage is 8.00 per hour, My waitresses two of them got a raise from me last month, something unheard of in the industry.
Now to your bitching, here is the deal, HONESTLY, the customers dont have to tip you, they really dont, I have some douchebag customers like that, And no matter how much my waitresses take care of them, they never tip, so I take the liberty of padding there bill an extra 5 to 9 dollars and give it to my girls, Hey they are usually too drunk to know anyway.
Now before douchbag dude I told you comes in here and says this practice is wrong, Let me say
DOUCHE, I mean DUDE, I ALREADY KNOW it IS
But it makes me feel better and as a boss and owner, thats all that really matters is HOW I FEEL.
Now run along and get your shine box
Now, Now...no need to hack someone else's thread with your own pompus, self-righteous, "i'm-the-greatest-boss-slash-business-owner-ever" rant. We all understood how great of a man you were, when you shoved your charity cases down our throats.
![]()
![]()
Besides, with "ALL" you "DO"....it's no surprise you got raided. Here's to another karma kick in your punk-ass! admitting that you don't report to the IRS....ha....good one! Why not complete the trifecta and tell us all the name of your business????
![]()
![]()
![]()
I was just about to post that this would be a good spot for Mafios take on this and bam there it was..with a kick in the rear end to boot ![]()
![]()
Ad, If I was the manager there I'd say the same thing to you,but put the newest server,cook in training etc on that table and tell them that's part of the deal..no tip? So F'n what that's the biz.This is getting your experience..
You're not gonna be in this for long so like GG said just turn the table if you get them again..and ask yourself maybe the manager is already putting his shittiest server on them? He should give a rat's ass about you he knows is temporary?
You're the same guy heading to Vegas with your bro trying to find the cheapest rates and asking questions from everybody about this and that,resort fees etc?
Man gets your tips ready out there ,You will see. GL
I was just about to post that this would be a good spot for Mafios take on this and bam there it was..with a kick in the rear end to boot ![]()
![]()
Ad, If I was the manager there I'd say the same thing to you,but put the newest server,cook in training etc on that table and tell them that's part of the deal..no tip? So F'n what that's the biz.This is getting your experience..
You're not gonna be in this for long so like GG said just turn the table if you get them again..and ask yourself maybe the manager is already putting his shittiest server on them? He should give a rat's ass about you he knows is temporary?
You're the same guy heading to Vegas with your bro trying to find the cheapest rates and asking questions from everybody about this and that,resort fees etc?
Man gets your tips ready out there ,You will see. GL
I think part of the problem is that people are ignorant as to exactly how a Waiter / Waitress is paid. Like you said before (by State Law and different throughout the entire USA), you probably make about 1/3 to 1/4 of the minimum wage and really depend on your good service bringing tips to make the bulk of your wages. You may also get discounted or free meals provided by your boss.
So, the reality is, Waiters and Waitresses in the USA are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from ALL other service providers in this regard.
As far as restaurant management goes, I agree that they are looking strictly at the bottom line numbers and that you are considered a very replaceable expense to their operating costs. Your attitude is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT to your own accumulation of tips than to the overall success of a chain restaurant location.
As a side note, I took a friend out for a casino lunch Friday and paid a $30 cash tip on a $95 bill. He was astounded and said I over-tipped substantially. Not so. I know this girl and she consistently gives me A-1 service time and time again. I plan on being there tomorrow afternoon and she will get me a custom prepared coconut shrimp appetizer, not on the regular menu, and my steak will be out well before others seated prior to my arrival.
Generous tipping most certainly has it's rewards.
I think part of the problem is that people are ignorant as to exactly how a Waiter / Waitress is paid. Like you said before (by State Law and different throughout the entire USA), you probably make about 1/3 to 1/4 of the minimum wage and really depend on your good service bringing tips to make the bulk of your wages. You may also get discounted or free meals provided by your boss.
So, the reality is, Waiters and Waitresses in the USA are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from ALL other service providers in this regard.
As far as restaurant management goes, I agree that they are looking strictly at the bottom line numbers and that you are considered a very replaceable expense to their operating costs. Your attitude is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT to your own accumulation of tips than to the overall success of a chain restaurant location.
As a side note, I took a friend out for a casino lunch Friday and paid a $30 cash tip on a $95 bill. He was astounded and said I over-tipped substantially. Not so. I know this girl and she consistently gives me A-1 service time and time again. I plan on being there tomorrow afternoon and she will get me a custom prepared coconut shrimp appetizer, not on the regular menu, and my steak will be out well before others seated prior to my arrival.
Generous tipping most certainly has it's rewards.
With that said, there is nothing you can do. Its annoying and you feel crappy, but some people just dont get it.
Id love to know why people dont tip? I mean if you keep going back, you must like the place? How is that possible???
With that said, there is nothing you can do. Its annoying and you feel crappy, but some people just dont get it.
Id love to know why people dont tip? I mean if you keep going back, you must like the place? How is that possible???
While i agree that people should tip, IT IS NOT YOUR RIGHT douchebag. You sound like a whiner to me, and if i was the manager i would have let you go.
No your the douchebag.
While i agree that people should tip, IT IS NOT YOUR RIGHT douchebag. You sound like a whiner to me, and if i was the manager i would have let you go.
No your the douchebag.
"it's not your right" sure but it's called common fucking courtesy you scumbucket.
This is true................. ![]()
"it's not your right" sure but it's called common fucking courtesy you scumbucket.
This is true................. ![]()
Throw the cheap fucks out. Fuck the job.
My dad used to own a restaurant. These cheap Hasidic person cocksuckers came in with a coupon, complained about total BS to get a free meal on top of the coupons they brought. Made a stink about everything. Harrassed the poor girl that took the table, and then stiffed her on the bill. Left her in tears.
My uncle(who had nothing to do with the place, but just happened to be there), was watching this whole thing, followed them out, told them Hitler should have burned everyone of you pieces of shit and kicked their station wagon. Suffice to say we never saw another Hasidic in there again. Good riddance, imo. My dad was pissed and it was a huge deal, but I think it worked out fine in the long run. Sometimes you gotta lay down the law no matter how extreme or if you even mean what you say.
![]()
Throw the cheap fucks out. Fuck the job.
My dad used to own a restaurant. These cheap Hasidic person cocksuckers came in with a coupon, complained about total BS to get a free meal on top of the coupons they brought. Made a stink about everything. Harrassed the poor girl that took the table, and then stiffed her on the bill. Left her in tears.
My uncle(who had nothing to do with the place, but just happened to be there), was watching this whole thing, followed them out, told them Hitler should have burned everyone of you pieces of shit and kicked their station wagon. Suffice to say we never saw another Hasidic in there again. Good riddance, imo. My dad was pissed and it was a huge deal, but I think it worked out fine in the long run. Sometimes you gotta lay down the law no matter how extreme or if you even mean what you say.
![]()
ad1260: your original post said that it happens to the regular closer "at least 5 times" but post #25 says it is "always at lunch". Not saying I don't believe you but the story is not consistent.
ad1260: your original post said that it happens to the regular closer "at least 5 times" but post #25 says it is "always at lunch". Not saying I don't believe you but the story is not consistent.
And make sure they see all the attention and service that the tables around them are getting.
But bottom line, they're costing you guys what, like 6 or 7 bucks a week. Not worth going too ballistic over. Now if it was a family of 6 coming in daily spending 150, then we're talking like 150 bucks a week.
And make sure they see all the attention and service that the tables around them are getting.
But bottom line, they're costing you guys what, like 6 or 7 bucks a week. Not worth going too ballistic over. Now if it was a family of 6 coming in daily spending 150, then we're talking like 150 bucks a week.
Take your time taking my order...
Let my drink glass set empty...
Take your time bringing me the check...
No tip...
If your last customer shit on you and it gets passed along... So be it...
Take your time taking my order...
Let my drink glass set empty...
Take your time bringing me the check...
No tip...
If your last customer shit on you and it gets passed along... So be it...
I recommend you watch the movie Waiting if you havent already (I would hope so given the field you are currently in). That should answer all your questions and give you some ideas.
![]()
I recommend you watch the movie Waiting if you havent already (I would hope so given the field you are currently in). That should answer all your questions and give you some ideas.
![]()
If Mr. and Mrs. ZERO come to your table and leave the usual, say in a louder than needed voice
"Nothing for a tip AGAIN? What the fuck do I have to do to get a nickel out of you cheap fucks? I mean, NOTHING FOR A TIP? You are so tight they couldn't pull a pin outta your ass with a tractor! Are you kidding me?"
Throw a plate of ribs at them both, and crack a bottle of ketchup on the dudes head.
Now, you MAY get fired for this. I'm not saying this is no risk. But, wouldn't you feel better? I think we all would.
Good Luck
If Mr. and Mrs. ZERO come to your table and leave the usual, say in a louder than needed voice
"Nothing for a tip AGAIN? What the fuck do I have to do to get a nickel out of you cheap fucks? I mean, NOTHING FOR A TIP? You are so tight they couldn't pull a pin outta your ass with a tractor! Are you kidding me?"
Throw a plate of ribs at them both, and crack a bottle of ketchup on the dudes head.
Now, you MAY get fired for this. I'm not saying this is no risk. But, wouldn't you feel better? I think we all would.
Good Luck
Hot Forum Topics
Warning - External Link
Report User
This post is spam
Delete Post
Remove Thread
Scan Results
Login/Register
Accounts are free and easy to create.
Search
