• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 3
      NFL Week 3
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Do any of you work in retail and/or are a server at a restaurant and how do you like it?

    «First Previous 1234
    OnlyGod
    Johnzimbo34
    CMJohnson1
    tjohnsont
    coldsnap55
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3432
    Posts: 93
    «First Previous 1234
     
    OnlyGod
    OnlyGod
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 5868
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 9:56 PM ET #76

    They also had a frisk/search before you leave policy at the store at worked at.  I scoffed arrogantly at the manager as he wouldn't let me stand with one foot in the door because the crappy hockey helmets would not have been "legally stolen".  Found it quite dehumanizing and petty I only ever stole one thing it was a soft helmet bag so I could keep my helmet from getting cracked and scuffed also I had one of those kickass oakley visors and I wanted to keep that shiny scratch free.  If they want to charge me for something that was thirty cents worth of cloth and 8 cents worth of rope I will plead guilty.
    Reply
    They also had a frisk/search before you leave policy at the store at worked at.  I scoffed arrogantly at the manager as he wouldn't let me stand with one foot in the door because the crappy hockey helmets would not have been "legally stolen".  Found it quite dehumanizing and petty I only ever stole one thing it was a soft helmet bag so I could keep my helmet from getting cracked and scuffed also I had one of those kickass oakley visors and I wanted to keep that shiny scratch free.  If they want to charge me for something that was thirty cents worth of cloth and 8 cents worth of rope I will plead guilty.
     
    Johnzimbo34
    Johnzimbo34
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2010
    Posts: 1299
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 10:28 PM ET #77

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyGod:

    They also had a frisk/search before you leave policy at the store at worked at.  I scoffed arrogantly at the manager as he wouldn't let me stand with one foot in the door because the crappy hockey helmets would not have been "legally stolen".  Found it quite dehumanizing and petty I only ever stole one thing it was a soft helmet bag so I could keep my helmet from getting cracked and scuffed also I had one of those kickass oakley visors and I wanted to keep that shiny scratch free.  If they want to charge me for something that was thirty cents worth of cloth and 8 cents worth of rope I will plead guilty.

    I have absolutely no idea what this paragraph means
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyGod:

    They also had a frisk/search before you leave policy at the store at worked at.  I scoffed arrogantly at the manager as he wouldn't let me stand with one foot in the door because the crappy hockey helmets would not have been "legally stolen".  Found it quite dehumanizing and petty I only ever stole one thing it was a soft helmet bag so I could keep my helmet from getting cracked and scuffed also I had one of those kickass oakley visors and I wanted to keep that shiny scratch free.  If they want to charge me for something that was thirty cents worth of cloth and 8 cents worth of rope I will plead guilty.

    I have absolutely no idea what this paragraph means
     
    OnlyGod
    OnlyGod
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 5868
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 10:53 PM ET #78

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnzimbo34:


    I have absolutely no idea what this paragraph means


    Sometimes I jot addresses to sloppy when I jot them.  The author of the article that Mr. Scal is referring to mentioned that he had to be searched or frisked before leaving the retail store setting.  Basically lots of unsavoury crackheads steal petty things like womans undergarments or crappy sporting gear for crack money sometimes possibly methamphetamines.  The on duty shift manager or highest ranking babybutter guzzler would have to search every underpaid under appreciated employee before they were allowed to leave the store to ensure less theft.  Loss prevention I remember those idiotic creppy posters all over the lunch room.  Kapish so far soldier ? lots lots more to it just seeing if you understand.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnzimbo34:


    I have absolutely no idea what this paragraph means


    Sometimes I jot addresses to sloppy when I jot them.  The author of the article that Mr. Scal is referring to mentioned that he had to be searched or frisked before leaving the retail store setting.  Basically lots of unsavoury crackheads steal petty things like womans undergarments or crappy sporting gear for crack money sometimes possibly methamphetamines.  The on duty shift manager or highest ranking babybutter guzzler would have to search every underpaid under appreciated employee before they were allowed to leave the store to ensure less theft.  Loss prevention I remember those idiotic creppy posters all over the lunch room.  Kapish so far soldier ? lots lots more to it just seeing if you understand.
     
    CMJohnson1
    CMJohnson1
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 36739
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 11:24 PM ET #79

    I get one half price drink and meal after my shift. .. Nothing ifi didn't work that day
    Reply
    I get one half price drink and meal after my shift. .. Nothing ifi didn't work that day
     
    OnlyGod
    OnlyGod
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 5868
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 11:35 PM ET #80

    Quote Originally Posted by CMJohnson1:

    I get one half price drink and meal after my shift. .. Nothing ifi didn't work that day


    nigga
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by CMJohnson1:

    I get one half price drink and meal after my shift. .. Nothing ifi didn't work that day


    nigga
     
    tjohnsont
    tjohnsont
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 5761
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2014 - 1:16 AM ET #81

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyGod:

    They also had a frisk/search before you leave policy at the store at worked at.  I scoffed arrogantly at the manager as he wouldn't let me stand with one foot in the door because the crappy hockey helmets would not have been "legally stolen".  Found it quite dehumanizing and petty I only ever stole one thing it was a soft helmet bag so I could keep my helmet from getting cracked and scuffed also I had one of those kickass oakley visors and I wanted to keep that shiny scratch free.  If they want to charge me for something that was thirty cents worth of cloth and 8 cents worth of rope I will plead guilty.

    Oakley. 

    They still conning Canadiens.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyGod:

    They also had a frisk/search before you leave policy at the store at worked at.  I scoffed arrogantly at the manager as he wouldn't let me stand with one foot in the door because the crappy hockey helmets would not have been "legally stolen".  Found it quite dehumanizing and petty I only ever stole one thing it was a soft helmet bag so I could keep my helmet from getting cracked and scuffed also I had one of those kickass oakley visors and I wanted to keep that shiny scratch free.  If they want to charge me for something that was thirty cents worth of cloth and 8 cents worth of rope I will plead guilty.

    Oakley. 

    They still conning Canadiens.  
     
    coldsnap55
    coldsnap55
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2004
    Posts: 9818
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2014 - 2:18 AM ET #82

    Quote Originally Posted by tjohnsont:


    Oakley. 

    They still conning Canadiens.  

    Just the ones who obviously wear helmets 24 hours a day.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by tjohnsont:


    Oakley. 

    They still conning Canadiens.  

    Just the ones who obviously wear helmets 24 hours a day.

     
    CMJohnson1
    CMJohnson1
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 36739
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2014 - 9:17 PM ET #83

    Oh...and this restaurant deducts a 50 cents per hour surcharge on your paycheck for the "right" to get a half price meal and soda's/non-alcoholic drinks while at work
    Reply
    Oh...and this restaurant deducts a 50 cents per hour surcharge on your paycheck for the "right" to get a half price meal and soda's/non-alcoholic drinks while at work
     
    OnlyGod
    OnlyGod
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 5868
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2014 - 4:37 AM ET #84

    Quote Originally Posted by coldsnap55:

    Just the ones who obviously wear helmets 24 hours a day.



    Get off the drugs son here is a self potrait of coldsnapps lifestyle.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUufUPlv6zQ
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsnap55:

    Just the ones who obviously wear helmets 24 hours a day.



    Get off the drugs son here is a self potrait of coldsnapps lifestyle.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUufUPlv6zQ
     
    HutchEmAll
    HutchEmAll
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 38704
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2014 - 5:07 AM ET #85

    Quote Originally Posted by CMJohnson1:

    First of all, great thread.  Enjoyed reading thoughts/experiences of others in the industry from different parts of the country.

    I've been in the restaurant/bar/management industry for 3+ years now...and have a feeling that it will always be a part of my life.  Personally, I don't look at it from a "per night" perspective as far as my tips, but from a "per hour" perspective.  Some nights I make $30/hr...some nights I make $10/hr.  The way I see it, it all evens out in the end.  You are going to have your shltty tippers...you are going to get stiffed...you are going to get bitched at for no reason.  Unfortunately there are too many people in the world that look at us as servants rather than servers.  Now Scal...you wanted the pros and cons of it all...so here you go.

    PROS:

    1.  This is the biggest one for me, and nobody has mentioned it so far.  You will ALWAYS have a job.  No matter how terrible the economy, no matter what part of the country you live.  I recently moved from New Hampshire to Florida to finally pursue the golf industry.  I'm 30 years old, single, no kids...figured it was time to make a change.  I arrived on a Wednesday, got hired on Thursday, started working on Friday, and had cash in my pocket on Saturday.  Not sure there is any other industry in the world like that.  You can get "laid off" or fired...and move on to the next restaurant down the street that very day.  No reason to have a resume unless you want to get into a top level place or for management, as they will very rarely call previous employers.

    2.  Making $15-$20 an hour is better than most people in this world.  As was mentioned several times before, if you are able to manage your money well...you can very easily make a solid living in this business.  I've been on both sides of that fence however...making money now and working hard to save it, but it's entirely too easy to sit at the bar after your shift and have a few beers.  That $100 you made in a night disappears down to $70 real fast after the bar takes it back.

    3.  The social aspect.  If you are a male in this environment, you will have plenty of "options" if you catch my drift.  The restaurant I came from in the Northeast had 5 couples that got married and are now starting their families.  Everything because of working together at the restaurant.  There is high turnover as well, so there is always new prospects coming in.

    4.  Every night/day is different.  In the 3+ years I've been doing this, I've never had a day that was exactly the same as another day.  Going into the day, you don't know what's going to happen.  That's where the gambling comparisons come into play.  Big parties/foreigners/good tippers/busy night/slow night...anything and everything is possible.  When I was in the sales management field, every day was the same.  Woke up at 8, in the office at 9, interviews from 10-12, training from 1-3, out in the field until 9.  Go to bed, wake up, do the same thing 5 days a week.  The money was overall better, but not by much.

    CONS:

    1.  Stress.  Dealing with people day in and day out is stressful.  Now add in the fact that these people are going out and spending money and expect everything to be perfect.  Throw in those people that have never been in the service industry in any way and don't know how to act/conduct themselves.  Throw in the screaming kids with parents that don't know how to control them...so your sugars are now all over the table/floor and only 10% of the little buggers meal made it into their mouths. 

    2.  Physically demanding.  No, I'm not lifting bricks up and down stairs all day...but I am on my feet for 6-12 hours straight...I do walk 6 miles per shift...the floors are not nice and soft, generally concrete or tile.  Being around people constantly also means that you are more prone to sickness.

    3.  You are instantly replaceable.  If you get the manager/owner that just doesn't care or doesn't realize how much you do...you are constantly walking on eggshells.  This is the situation where I'm at now...and it's a pain in the a$$.  We've had 20 people quit or get fired since January 1st.  I've also been in fantastic environments where the managers support the staff no matter what.  You learn to adapt and adjust to each scenario.

    4.  No set money.  It's a commission position essentially.  You are gambling on your living on a daily basis.  I've had shifts where I've walked away with $20.  I've had shifts where I've walked away with $400...you just never know so it's incredibly difficult to budget.  This also bleeds into a pro situation however as I've used this in my sports betting to be incredibly disciplined financially.

    5.  No benefits.  There are very few restaurants out there that provide benefits, let alone good benefits.  The restaurant I'm at now does not offer them at all because it's not a chain, not enough employees, and the owner is a d-bag that doesn't want to pony up a penny to help the staff.  The last place I was at the insurance would have cost me $157 a month (single, healthy male) with a $10,000 deductible.  You want vacation pay?  You have to be full-time for 1+ year generally.  After that, it's based on your claimed tips...so if you want to get good vacation pay, it's gonna hurt you on the IRS end of things because you'll have to claim all your tips.


    Overall, I love the industry because it is a gamble every day and it's constant entertainment.  It gives me enough money to pay all of my bills, as well as enough to save some money and still go out and have my fun from time to time.  In the end, that's all you really ask for in a job.  I'm not giving up on the golf industry, have several interviews in the next couple weeks...but like I said up above, I will more than likely always be involved in the restaurant business in some way.



    Good post. Restaurant industry helped get my 3 sisters through college. But no insurance or even a policy with a 10k deductible can crush someone at that income level. Not to mention no vacation or retirement plan. Serves a purpose, but hard to do for your entire working life. Just need to hook up with a corporate type gal who has decent benefits.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by CMJohnson1:

    First of all, great thread.  Enjoyed reading thoughts/experiences of others in the industry from different parts of the country.

    I've been in the restaurant/bar/management industry for 3+ years now...and have a feeling that it will always be a part of my life.  Personally, I don't look at it from a "per night" perspective as far as my tips, but from a "per hour" perspective.  Some nights I make $30/hr...some nights I make $10/hr.  The way I see it, it all evens out in the end.  You are going to have your shltty tippers...you are going to get stiffed...you are going to get bitched at for no reason.  Unfortunately there are too many people in the world that look at us as servants rather than servers.  Now Scal...you wanted the pros and cons of it all...so here you go.

    PROS:

    1.  This is the biggest one for me, and nobody has mentioned it so far.  You will ALWAYS have a job.  No matter how terrible the economy, no matter what part of the country you live.  I recently moved from New Hampshire to Florida to finally pursue the golf industry.  I'm 30 years old, single, no kids...figured it was time to make a change.  I arrived on a Wednesday, got hired on Thursday, started working on Friday, and had cash in my pocket on Saturday.  Not sure there is any other industry in the world like that.  You can get "laid off" or fired...and move on to the next restaurant down the street that very day.  No reason to have a resume unless you want to get into a top level place or for management, as they will very rarely call previous employers.

    2.  Making $15-$20 an hour is better than most people in this world.  As was mentioned several times before, if you are able to manage your money well...you can very easily make a solid living in this business.  I've been on both sides of that fence however...making money now and working hard to save it, but it's entirely too easy to sit at the bar after your shift and have a few beers.  That $100 you made in a night disappears down to $70 real fast after the bar takes it back.

    3.  The social aspect.  If you are a male in this environment, you will have plenty of "options" if you catch my drift.  The restaurant I came from in the Northeast had 5 couples that got married and are now starting their families.  Everything because of working together at the restaurant.  There is high turnover as well, so there is always new prospects coming in.

    4.  Every night/day is different.  In the 3+ years I've been doing this, I've never had a day that was exactly the same as another day.  Going into the day, you don't know what's going to happen.  That's where the gambling comparisons come into play.  Big parties/foreigners/good tippers/busy night/slow night...anything and everything is possible.  When I was in the sales management field, every day was the same.  Woke up at 8, in the office at 9, interviews from 10-12, training from 1-3, out in the field until 9.  Go to bed, wake up, do the same thing 5 days a week.  The money was overall better, but not by much.

    CONS:

    1.  Stress.  Dealing with people day in and day out is stressful.  Now add in the fact that these people are going out and spending money and expect everything to be perfect.  Throw in those people that have never been in the service industry in any way and don't know how to act/conduct themselves.  Throw in the screaming kids with parents that don't know how to control them...so your sugars are now all over the table/floor and only 10% of the little buggers meal made it into their mouths. 

    2.  Physically demanding.  No, I'm not lifting bricks up and down stairs all day...but I am on my feet for 6-12 hours straight...I do walk 6 miles per shift...the floors are not nice and soft, generally concrete or tile.  Being around people constantly also means that you are more prone to sickness.

    3.  You are instantly replaceable.  If you get the manager/owner that just doesn't care or doesn't realize how much you do...you are constantly walking on eggshells.  This is the situation where I'm at now...and it's a pain in the a$$.  We've had 20 people quit or get fired since January 1st.  I've also been in fantastic environments where the managers support the staff no matter what.  You learn to adapt and adjust to each scenario.

    4.  No set money.  It's a commission position essentially.  You are gambling on your living on a daily basis.  I've had shifts where I've walked away with $20.  I've had shifts where I've walked away with $400...you just never know so it's incredibly difficult to budget.  This also bleeds into a pro situation however as I've used this in my sports betting to be incredibly disciplined financially.

    5.  No benefits.  There are very few restaurants out there that provide benefits, let alone good benefits.  The restaurant I'm at now does not offer them at all because it's not a chain, not enough employees, and the owner is a d-bag that doesn't want to pony up a penny to help the staff.  The last place I was at the insurance would have cost me $157 a month (single, healthy male) with a $10,000 deductible.  You want vacation pay?  You have to be full-time for 1+ year generally.  After that, it's based on your claimed tips...so if you want to get good vacation pay, it's gonna hurt you on the IRS end of things because you'll have to claim all your tips.


    Overall, I love the industry because it is a gamble every day and it's constant entertainment.  It gives me enough money to pay all of my bills, as well as enough to save some money and still go out and have my fun from time to time.  In the end, that's all you really ask for in a job.  I'm not giving up on the golf industry, have several interviews in the next couple weeks...but like I said up above, I will more than likely always be involved in the restaurant business in some way.



    Good post. Restaurant industry helped get my 3 sisters through college. But no insurance or even a policy with a 10k deductible can crush someone at that income level. Not to mention no vacation or retirement plan. Serves a purpose, but hard to do for your entire working life. Just need to hook up with a corporate type gal who has decent benefits.  
     
    HutchEmAll
    HutchEmAll
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 38704
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2014 - 5:14 AM ET #86

    Not to mention a person making 20 bucks an hour at a company with decent benefits is really making more like 25/hr.  That is a 25 percent increase in "pay."  Significant.  
    Reply
    Not to mention a person making 20 bucks an hour at a company with decent benefits is really making more like 25/hr.  That is a 25 percent increase in "pay."  Significant.  
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2014 - 8:18 AM ET #87

    Quote Originally Posted by FiatLux4:

    CMJohnson excellent post  

    Running Mitch I have had all of that happen at one point or another. I totally get it. The 9 to 5 world just doesn't cut it for me either.

    Scal- Owners are penny pinchers. They want every dollar for themselves. No free beer, they wont even give it to at cost. And that's if your place even let's you drink there after work. Most don't because of the portrayal it presents. 

    "Free Beer......Tomorrow" was the name of our bowling team one season because of the true illusion that it is.


    My god. 

    Are you serious?

    I see a lot of servers eating at tables in the back of the restaurant that's empty during downtime and late hours. 

    It's always the food served in that place (makes sense).

    PLEASE, tell me they don't make you pay for that food too???!!!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by FiatLux4:

    CMJohnson excellent post  

    Running Mitch I have had all of that happen at one point or another. I totally get it. The 9 to 5 world just doesn't cut it for me either.

    Scal- Owners are penny pinchers. They want every dollar for themselves. No free beer, they wont even give it to at cost. And that's if your place even let's you drink there after work. Most don't because of the portrayal it presents. 

    "Free Beer......Tomorrow" was the name of our bowling team one season because of the true illusion that it is.


    My god. 

    Are you serious?

    I see a lot of servers eating at tables in the back of the restaurant that's empty during downtime and late hours. 

    It's always the food served in that place (makes sense).

    PLEASE, tell me they don't make you pay for that food too???!!!
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2014 - 8:20 AM ET #88

    Quote Originally Posted by Slovak:

    There are servers out there that make more than the general managers of restaurants. My wife was a dining room manager for a restaurant chain and said it wasn't uncommon for a part time server that only worked weekends to pull in $500+ over the weekend. Sure they didn't actually get a paycheck because all of it went to taxes, but still.

    But what doesn't make sense is why that part time server would get premium hours (the weekend shift, preferably nights) like that.


    I thought in the server industry you had to "earn your stripes" on weekday breakfast/lunch service before you could work weekend nights where the tips are huge?

    That shouldn't be the territory of a part-timer....
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Slovak:

    There are servers out there that make more than the general managers of restaurants. My wife was a dining room manager for a restaurant chain and said it wasn't uncommon for a part time server that only worked weekends to pull in $500+ over the weekend. Sure they didn't actually get a paycheck because all of it went to taxes, but still.

    But what doesn't make sense is why that part time server would get premium hours (the weekend shift, preferably nights) like that.


    I thought in the server industry you had to "earn your stripes" on weekday breakfast/lunch service before you could work weekend nights where the tips are huge?

    That shouldn't be the territory of a part-timer....
     
    Randisist
    Randisist
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 3158
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2014 - 8:39 AM ET #89

    Given the climate today when it comes to alcohol... Lawsuits, and the attitude that... I was drunk it was the fault of the one who served me the alcohol that I got in an accident, ran over someone, or whatever... That I can easily say I would not give alcohol to an employee... I would hope I was making enough to give them a meal and drink per 8 hour shift...

    And yes, I know to most here I am a bad, bad, bad person for not having a free flowing beer tap for the workers..
    Reply
    Given the climate today when it comes to alcohol... Lawsuits, and the attitude that... I was drunk it was the fault of the one who served me the alcohol that I got in an accident, ran over someone, or whatever... That I can easily say I would not give alcohol to an employee... I would hope I was making enough to give them a meal and drink per 8 hour shift...

    And yes, I know to most here I am a bad, bad, bad person for not having a free flowing beer tap for the workers..
     
    Runnin Mitch
    Runnin Mitch
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2000
    Posts: 841
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2014 - 10:36 AM ET #90

     Where I work , we are allowed just one free drink per shift. There are cameras on us all the time , so our bosses will know if we are getting more than one. Food is only 25% off.It used to be 50% ,but my bosses are Super Cheap. I usually bring in my own food and " Brown Bag " it all the time. I am not going to blow my money on our overpriced meals.
      If a meal comes back from a table,well that is a different story.Most of the time ,I will not eat it.Unless it is some hottie.Then I will .If I would eat her out ,then I would not mind eating her food !

    Reply
     Where I work , we are allowed just one free drink per shift. There are cameras on us all the time , so our bosses will know if we are getting more than one. Food is only 25% off.It used to be 50% ,but my bosses are Super Cheap. I usually bring in my own food and " Brown Bag " it all the time. I am not going to blow my money on our overpriced meals.
      If a meal comes back from a table,well that is a different story.Most of the time ,I will not eat it.Unless it is some hottie.Then I will .If I would eat her out ,then I would not mind eating her food !

     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2014 - 12:28 PM ET #91

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    But what doesn't make sense is why that part time server would get premium hours (the weekend shift, preferably nights) like that.


    I thought in the server industry you had to "earn your stripes" on weekday breakfast/lunch service before you could work weekend nights where the tips are huge?

    That shouldn't be the territory of a part-timer....

    The place I worked had several part timers who would come in once or twice a week to work a shift they wanted..and it was because they had been working there for like 15 yrs and had earned that ability to pick their shifts..

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    But what doesn't make sense is why that part time server would get premium hours (the weekend shift, preferably nights) like that.


    I thought in the server industry you had to "earn your stripes" on weekday breakfast/lunch service before you could work weekend nights where the tips are huge?

    That shouldn't be the territory of a part-timer....

    The place I worked had several part timers who would come in once or twice a week to work a shift they wanted..and it was because they had been working there for like 15 yrs and had earned that ability to pick their shifts..

     
    BWS77
    BWS77
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 35351
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2014 - 12:35 PM ET #92

    Quote Originally Posted by coldsnap55:

    Just the ones who obviously wear helmets 24 hours a day.


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsnap55:

    Just the ones who obviously wear helmets 24 hours a day.


     
     
    OnlyGod
    OnlyGod
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 5868
    Posted: Mar. 31, 2014 - 10:58 PM ET #93

    Good thread for a change Scal well thought out discussing points.
    Reply
    Good thread for a change Scal well thought out discussing points.
    All Forums | General Discussion
    «First Previous 1234

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 450,542
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,179
    • Rams vs Broncos in game live SNF 2,731
    • Monday 09/28/2026 658
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 102,018
    • HELP PLEASE 1,609
    • PART DEUX 233
    • Mike Trout Strikeouts 7,145
    • Another BS PI 953
    • King of Covers Winner List 12,244

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.