• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 3
      NFL Week 3
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Do any of you work in retail and/or are a server at a restaurant and how do you like it?

    1234 Next Last»
    scalabrine
    Johnzimbo34
    Randisist
    TheGoldenGoose
    esplanade
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3432
    Posts: 93
    1234 Next Last»
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 9:13 AM ET #1

    https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/03/my-life-as-a-retail-worker-nasty-brutish-and-poor/284332/

    Just read a very interesting but also depressing article about a guy would used to work for Politico, making a great salary and appearing on MSNBC/CNN, and then after making a comment about Mitt Romney (it was a real doozy ), lost his job and apparently had to work at Modell's/Dick's/Sports Authority (he never says which) as a floor worker for minimum wage part-time. It was a real shock to his self-worth and obviously standard of living but he gutted through it.

    I will say this, after reading it I THANK GOD I do not work in retail. Everything he described from staying on your feet the whole shift, getting frisked by management, interactions with rude customers and worst of all, getting paid virtually nothing to do it all made me cringe the whole way through.


    I also wanted to see if anyone here can expand on what he says about working in retail or if you are a server at a restaurant.

    Are there ANY pros to this kind of job?

    I could see, if you were in high school, getting a paycheck doing these jobs for $150 to $200 a week when you never earned a cent in your life could be great. But after years of doing it and bills and responsibilities increasing, it could become dreaded.

    But the real horror stories I hear are not from retail workers but are from servers and that is universal from everyone I know who does it.


    I'm always interested from hearing stories of people who work in these sectors because it is their stories are the driving force behind the minimum wage increase, which at this point, should be at the very least, $10 in my opinion (and that is actually on the low side).

    Also, I don't know how you could gamble effectively and do one of these jobs. Where is the bankroll? How could you bet $50 on Syracuse to cover over Dayton and lose and know that is what you likely earned the entire day for staying on your feet/dealing with customers/everything described above? Too much to deal with on top of losing at gambling which is already a psychological pitfall to any state of happiness and that is when you have the money to bet, not when you earn minimum wage and must win...
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/03/my-life-as-a-retail-worker-nasty-brutish-and-poor/284332/

    Just read a very interesting but also depressing article about a guy would used to work for Politico, making a great salary and appearing on MSNBC/CNN, and then after making a comment about Mitt Romney (it was a real doozy ), lost his job and apparently had to work at Modell's/Dick's/Sports Authority (he never says which) as a floor worker for minimum wage part-time. It was a real shock to his self-worth and obviously standard of living but he gutted through it.

    I will say this, after reading it I THANK GOD I do not work in retail. Everything he described from staying on your feet the whole shift, getting frisked by management, interactions with rude customers and worst of all, getting paid virtually nothing to do it all made me cringe the whole way through.


    I also wanted to see if anyone here can expand on what he says about working in retail or if you are a server at a restaurant.

    Are there ANY pros to this kind of job?

    I could see, if you were in high school, getting a paycheck doing these jobs for $150 to $200 a week when you never earned a cent in your life could be great. But after years of doing it and bills and responsibilities increasing, it could become dreaded.

    But the real horror stories I hear are not from retail workers but are from servers and that is universal from everyone I know who does it.


    I'm always interested from hearing stories of people who work in these sectors because it is their stories are the driving force behind the minimum wage increase, which at this point, should be at the very least, $10 in my opinion (and that is actually on the low side).

    Also, I don't know how you could gamble effectively and do one of these jobs. Where is the bankroll? How could you bet $50 on Syracuse to cover over Dayton and lose and know that is what you likely earned the entire day for staying on your feet/dealing with customers/everything described above? Too much to deal with on top of losing at gambling which is already a psychological pitfall to any state of happiness and that is when you have the money to bet, not when you earn minimum wage and must win...
     
    Johnzimbo34
    Johnzimbo34
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2010
    Posts: 1299
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 9:41 AM ET #2

    Never done it myself and sure wouldn't want to. Though I would imagine working as a server at a high-end restaurant might provide a decent living if the tips are good.
    Reply
    Never done it myself and sure wouldn't want to. Though I would imagine working as a server at a high-end restaurant might provide a decent living if the tips are good.
     
    Randisist
    Randisist
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 3158
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 9:47 AM ET #3

    Excellent article. The guy really is a good writer.
    Reply
    Excellent article. The guy really is a good writer.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 11:02 AM ET #4

    Quote Originally Posted by Randisist:

    Excellent article. The guy really is a good writer.

    I found it outstanding as well.

    I felt like I was vicariously working the floor of the establishment he was working at. 

    And I soon thanked god I wasn't employed there...
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Randisist:

    Excellent article. The guy really is a good writer.

    I found it outstanding as well.

    I felt like I was vicariously working the floor of the establishment he was working at. 

    And I soon thanked god I wasn't employed there...
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 11:06 AM ET #5

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnzimbo34:

    Never done it myself and sure wouldn't want to. Though I would imagine working as a server at a high-end restaurant might provide a decent living if the tips are good.

    They do. 

    But how many positions like that exist in comparison to the total number of service workers... 1/1000th of 1%?
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnzimbo34:

    Never done it myself and sure wouldn't want to. Though I would imagine working as a server at a high-end restaurant might provide a decent living if the tips are good.

    They do. 

    But how many positions like that exist in comparison to the total number of service workers... 1/1000th of 1%?
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 11:11 AM ET #6


    Good read.  Joseph Williams will find his back up the ladder.  He's too talented a writer not to get back.  I hope he has learned to stay off facebook and twitter.  Nothing but trouble in your occupation Joe.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    Good read.  Joseph Williams will find his back up the ladder.  He's too talented a writer not to get back.  I hope he has learned to stay off facebook and twitter.  Nothing but trouble in your occupation Joe.
     
    esplanade
    esplanade
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2008
    Posts: 9021
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 11:54 AM ET #7

    You sound entitled and arrogant. I'm assuming the minimum wage increase will be paid for by the money tree in your back yard, right, because employers and customers don't want to pay it. Everyone knows that it will cost the economy jobs and that it is actually a strong
    ANTI-black course of action. You realize that right Scal, because your heart always seems to bleed for the underachievers, leeches, and criminals of society.
    Reply
    You sound entitled and arrogant. I'm assuming the minimum wage increase will be paid for by the money tree in your back yard, right, because employers and customers don't want to pay it. Everyone knows that it will cost the economy jobs and that it is actually a strong
    ANTI-black course of action. You realize that right Scal, because your heart always seems to bleed for the underachievers, leeches, and criminals of society.
     
    1129ken
    1129ken
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 2674
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 12:30 PM ET #8

    Sliced cold cuts in a supermarket deli from 10 AM to 10 PM for $1.50 per hour ( minimum wage when I was a kid in 1967 ). Helped pay for expenses while I was going to school. Upside was great--someone was willing to give me a paycheck, for which I was, and remain, grateful.
    Reply
    Sliced cold cuts in a supermarket deli from 10 AM to 10 PM for $1.50 per hour ( minimum wage when I was a kid in 1967 ). Helped pay for expenses while I was going to school. Upside was great--someone was willing to give me a paycheck, for which I was, and remain, grateful.
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8159
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 12:31 PM ET #9

    I was a server at a steakhouse for 2 years right after college. Decent gig because my managers were awesome and my coworkers were generally pretty cool (as many of you know the service industry is full of felons/druggies/alcoholics, etc. which actually made for a pretty chill atmosphere). My bills were relatively minimal at the time but I couldn't imagine LIVING off of the wages for any real length of time. As for the money, it was decent. Definitely not great but a hell of a lot better than making minimum wage. For example, in a week if you worked 5 nights (always Friday/Saturday/Sunday night) and 2 others during the week….you would average between 400-500 bucks a week. Which puts minimum wage to shame not to mention you would accrue this in probably 30-35 hours a week max. 

    The most difficult thing was managing your money. As many of you know and because of the substance abuse problems that I mentioned above, many of your fellow coworkers would want to go grab some drinks after the majority of your shifts. Especially on Friday and Saturday nights when you had 100-150 bucks in your pocket after 5-6 hours of work. SO if you could manage to avoid doing that the majority of the time then you could actually save a little money. Waiting tables is the epitome of grinding---it's eerily similar to sports betting/poker. 

    Another big problem with waiting tables for a living is that it's actually pretty seasonal. For instance, in the summer time business is SLOW. Kids are out of school, families are on vacation, it's warm outside so families are grilling, etc. In the winter---it's $$$ time. Holiday parties, nasty weather, big family get togethers, etc. The spring and fall are sort of just "steady". 

    Also, the hours flat-out suck. It's awful having to wait around all day to go into work at 4 or 5 in the evening. Then getting home at 11-12 (assuming you don't go out for drinks) sucks. Then you are running around on your feet all night so when you get off/get home it takes a couple of hours to "wind down" because usually your adrenaline is running pretty high. Then if you work lunches, it generally sucks because the money is a fraction of what you make at dinner. 

    It's a great job for high school and college kids. I also worked with a ton of people that had "regular day jobs" but waited tables in the evening to earn extra cash…these people usually had a few kids/probably made a few poor decisions in their lives thus causing them to HAVE to wait tables at night 3 nights a week. I will say this, very few people (at least at the restaurant I worked at) actually were steady adults that this was their career job. Most people that worked with me were in some kind of transition phase in their lives. Like I was fresh out of college and looking for a teaching gig but couldn't find one so now I actually work for AT&T. However, I still have my job at the restaurant and work there on a "pick up shifts basis". Meaning, I'm never scheduled week to week and I might just pick up a shift once a month for some gas money…because in all honesty it's kind of a fun job in moderation. 

    Also, you have to get over getting stiffed quickly. You have to get it out of your mind instantly because if you dwell on it, it'll ruin your night and you'll just be pissy the rest of your shift. I've been stiffed on checks everywhere from $20 to $250….for no particular reason. Just gotta get over it and keep trucking because it's just a part of the business. I would say it's like getting moosed in sports betting (Oregon and Michigan State backers last night know what I'm talking about)….it's a sick beat but you gotta clear your head immediately and not let it linger because if you don't, you are gonna burn your bankroll. 

    I didn't proofread any of this so I hope it all makes sense. 

    BOL to all and GL to everyone betting the tournament this weekend and cheers to Opening Day on the horizon! 


    Reply
    I was a server at a steakhouse for 2 years right after college. Decent gig because my managers were awesome and my coworkers were generally pretty cool (as many of you know the service industry is full of felons/druggies/alcoholics, etc. which actually made for a pretty chill atmosphere). My bills were relatively minimal at the time but I couldn't imagine LIVING off of the wages for any real length of time. As for the money, it was decent. Definitely not great but a hell of a lot better than making minimum wage. For example, in a week if you worked 5 nights (always Friday/Saturday/Sunday night) and 2 others during the week….you would average between 400-500 bucks a week. Which puts minimum wage to shame not to mention you would accrue this in probably 30-35 hours a week max. 

    The most difficult thing was managing your money. As many of you know and because of the substance abuse problems that I mentioned above, many of your fellow coworkers would want to go grab some drinks after the majority of your shifts. Especially on Friday and Saturday nights when you had 100-150 bucks in your pocket after 5-6 hours of work. SO if you could manage to avoid doing that the majority of the time then you could actually save a little money. Waiting tables is the epitome of grinding---it's eerily similar to sports betting/poker. 

    Another big problem with waiting tables for a living is that it's actually pretty seasonal. For instance, in the summer time business is SLOW. Kids are out of school, families are on vacation, it's warm outside so families are grilling, etc. In the winter---it's $$$ time. Holiday parties, nasty weather, big family get togethers, etc. The spring and fall are sort of just "steady". 

    Also, the hours flat-out suck. It's awful having to wait around all day to go into work at 4 or 5 in the evening. Then getting home at 11-12 (assuming you don't go out for drinks) sucks. Then you are running around on your feet all night so when you get off/get home it takes a couple of hours to "wind down" because usually your adrenaline is running pretty high. Then if you work lunches, it generally sucks because the money is a fraction of what you make at dinner. 

    It's a great job for high school and college kids. I also worked with a ton of people that had "regular day jobs" but waited tables in the evening to earn extra cash…these people usually had a few kids/probably made a few poor decisions in their lives thus causing them to HAVE to wait tables at night 3 nights a week. I will say this, very few people (at least at the restaurant I worked at) actually were steady adults that this was their career job. Most people that worked with me were in some kind of transition phase in their lives. Like I was fresh out of college and looking for a teaching gig but couldn't find one so now I actually work for AT&T. However, I still have my job at the restaurant and work there on a "pick up shifts basis". Meaning, I'm never scheduled week to week and I might just pick up a shift once a month for some gas money…because in all honesty it's kind of a fun job in moderation. 

    Also, you have to get over getting stiffed quickly. You have to get it out of your mind instantly because if you dwell on it, it'll ruin your night and you'll just be pissy the rest of your shift. I've been stiffed on checks everywhere from $20 to $250….for no particular reason. Just gotta get over it and keep trucking because it's just a part of the business. I would say it's like getting moosed in sports betting (Oregon and Michigan State backers last night know what I'm talking about)….it's a sick beat but you gotta clear your head immediately and not let it linger because if you don't, you are gonna burn your bankroll. 

    I didn't proofread any of this so I hope it all makes sense. 

    BOL to all and GL to everyone betting the tournament this weekend and cheers to Opening Day on the horizon! 


     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8159
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 12:34 PM ET #10

    Oh, not to mention it's pretty decent money for someone without any kind of real education or skill set. 
    Reply
    Oh, not to mention it's pretty decent money for someone without any kind of real education or skill set. 
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 1:32 PM ET #11


    "underachievers, leeches, and criminals of society"



    Absolutely NONE of which inhabit the world of the Corporate Fukks.



    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    "underachievers, leeches, and criminals of society"



    Absolutely NONE of which inhabit the world of the Corporate Fukks.



     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 2:10 PM ET #12

    Yeah I was a server during college for the same reasons listed above..the pay is good and you get paid every night.

    The place I worked was probably the top of its class in the entire state I was from, we did some serious business and the tips were good but the work is hard and it grinds your body pretty harshly.

    I enjoyed it, even with the stress and nightmares and worries..working with people your age in college, making good tips and good friendships..

    I think if you work as a server or in retail you understand and appreciate what others are doing for you..it should be mandatory that everyone do work like this, it was a great experience for me. I also know if times were ever tough and I needed to I could do it again and survive..
    Reply
    Yeah I was a server during college for the same reasons listed above..the pay is good and you get paid every night.

    The place I worked was probably the top of its class in the entire state I was from, we did some serious business and the tips were good but the work is hard and it grinds your body pretty harshly.

    I enjoyed it, even with the stress and nightmares and worries..working with people your age in college, making good tips and good friendships..

    I think if you work as a server or in retail you understand and appreciate what others are doing for you..it should be mandatory that everyone do work like this, it was a great experience for me. I also know if times were ever tough and I needed to I could do it again and survive..
     
    Knoxpoker
    Knoxpoker
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2011
    Posts: 1244
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 4:11 PM ET #13

    Quote Originally Posted by esplanade:

    You sound entitled and arrogant. I'm assuming the minimum wage increase will be paid for by the money tree in your back yard, right, because employers and customers don't want to pay it. Everyone knows that it will cost the economy jobs and that it is actually a strong
    ANTI-black course of action. You realize that right Scal, because your heart always seems to bleed for the underachievers, leeches, and criminals of society.

    This my friend is the problem... You are so far behind the times it is not even funny... You sound like the scumbag business owners that want everything for nothing... Well those days are coming to an end. The kids of today would rather sit home and not make 7.25 an hour . and I dont blaim them...When I was 14 I made 80 dollars a night as a bus boy.. No one I knew made anything close to that ... They were stocking shelves for 5 .75 and hour...How can these kids make less then what I made in 1988????? 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by esplanade:

    You sound entitled and arrogant. I'm assuming the minimum wage increase will be paid for by the money tree in your back yard, right, because employers and customers don't want to pay it. Everyone knows that it will cost the economy jobs and that it is actually a strong
    ANTI-black course of action. You realize that right Scal, because your heart always seems to bleed for the underachievers, leeches, and criminals of society.

    This my friend is the problem... You are so far behind the times it is not even funny... You sound like the scumbag business owners that want everything for nothing... Well those days are coming to an end. The kids of today would rather sit home and not make 7.25 an hour . and I dont blaim them...When I was 14 I made 80 dollars a night as a bus boy.. No one I knew made anything close to that ... They were stocking shelves for 5 .75 and hour...How can these kids make less then what I made in 1988????? 
     
    Knoxpoker
    Knoxpoker
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2011
    Posts: 1244
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 4:17 PM ET #14

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    Yeah I was a server during college for the same reasons listed above..the pay is good and you get paid every night.

    The place I worked was probably the top of its class in the entire state I was from, we did some serious business and the tips were good but the work is hard and it grinds your body pretty harshly.

    I enjoyed it, even with the stress and nightmares and worries..working with people your age in college, making good tips and good friendships..

    I think if you work as a server or in retail you understand and appreciate what others are doing for you..it should be mandatory that everyone do work like this, it was a great experience for me. I also know if times were ever tough and I needed to I could do it again and survive..

    Hey Wall you are right all the except that now the pay is awful anim d the kids that do it are as dumb as a box of rocks, because its all they can do..

    I was talking to a guy , he told me he was 28 he cooks at a  Ruby Tuesday and said they pay him 10 bucks an hour...I laughed.. But the good think about it  was that he said he takes so much food home a week that it makes it worth it ..He said he keeps a cooler in his car and steals 3 porterhouse steaks a night ... lol  I told him he was a smart guy .. good for him..!!!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    Yeah I was a server during college for the same reasons listed above..the pay is good and you get paid every night.

    The place I worked was probably the top of its class in the entire state I was from, we did some serious business and the tips were good but the work is hard and it grinds your body pretty harshly.

    I enjoyed it, even with the stress and nightmares and worries..working with people your age in college, making good tips and good friendships..

    I think if you work as a server or in retail you understand and appreciate what others are doing for you..it should be mandatory that everyone do work like this, it was a great experience for me. I also know if times were ever tough and I needed to I could do it again and survive..

    Hey Wall you are right all the except that now the pay is awful anim d the kids that do it are as dumb as a box of rocks, because its all they can do..

    I was talking to a guy , he told me he was 28 he cooks at a  Ruby Tuesday and said they pay him 10 bucks an hour...I laughed.. But the good think about it  was that he said he takes so much food home a week that it makes it worth it ..He said he keeps a cooler in his car and steals 3 porterhouse steaks a night ... lol  I told him he was a smart guy .. good for him..!!!
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 4:26 PM ET #15

    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxpoker:


    Hey Wall you are right all the except that now the pay is awful anim d the kids that do it are as dumb as a box of rocks, because its all they can do..

    I was talking to a guy , he told me he was 28 he cooks at a  Ruby Tuesday and said they pay him 10 bucks an hour...I laughed.. But the good think about it  was that he said he takes so much food home a week that it makes it worth it ..He said he keeps a cooler in his car and steals 3 porterhouse steaks a night ... lol  I told him he was a smart guy .. good for him..!!!



    The Corporate Fukks don't understand that there is a price to be paid for ripping employees off at minimum wage.  I AM NOT condoning theft of company property.  I am a realist and understand that's what is going to happen when an employee feels unappreciated.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxpoker:


    Hey Wall you are right all the except that now the pay is awful anim d the kids that do it are as dumb as a box of rocks, because its all they can do..

    I was talking to a guy , he told me he was 28 he cooks at a  Ruby Tuesday and said they pay him 10 bucks an hour...I laughed.. But the good think about it  was that he said he takes so much food home a week that it makes it worth it ..He said he keeps a cooler in his car and steals 3 porterhouse steaks a night ... lol  I told him he was a smart guy .. good for him..!!!



    The Corporate Fukks don't understand that there is a price to be paid for ripping employees off at minimum wage.  I AM NOT condoning theft of company property.  I am a realist and understand that's what is going to happen when an employee feels unappreciated.
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 4:28 PM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxpoker:


    This my friend is the problem... You are so far behind the times it is not even funny... You sound like the scumbag business owners that want everything for nothing... Well those days are coming to an end. The kids of today would rather sit home and not make 7.25 an hour . and I dont blaim them...When I was 14 I made 80 dollars a night as a bus boy.. No one I knew made anything close to that ... They were stocking shelves for 5 .75 and hour...How can these kids make less then what I made in 1988????? 



    That's what the Corporate Fukks have turned this country into.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxpoker:


    This my friend is the problem... You are so far behind the times it is not even funny... You sound like the scumbag business owners that want everything for nothing... Well those days are coming to an end. The kids of today would rather sit home and not make 7.25 an hour . and I dont blaim them...When I was 14 I made 80 dollars a night as a bus boy.. No one I knew made anything close to that ... They were stocking shelves for 5 .75 and hour...How can these kids make less then what I made in 1988????? 



    That's what the Corporate Fukks have turned this country into.
     
    BWS77
    BWS77
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 35351
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 5:39 PM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxpoker:


    This my friend is the problem... You are so far behind the times it is not even funny... You sound like the scumbag business owners that want everything for nothing... Well those days are coming to an end. The kids of today would rather sit home and not make 7.25 an hour . and I dont blaim them...When I was 14 I made 80 dollars a night as a bus boy.. No one I knew made anything close to that ... They were stocking shelves for 5 .75 and hour...How can these kids make less then what I made in 1988????? 

    You got the 'scumbag' part right!  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxpoker:


    This my friend is the problem... You are so far behind the times it is not even funny... You sound like the scumbag business owners that want everything for nothing... Well those days are coming to an end. The kids of today would rather sit home and not make 7.25 an hour . and I dont blaim them...When I was 14 I made 80 dollars a night as a bus boy.. No one I knew made anything close to that ... They were stocking shelves for 5 .75 and hour...How can these kids make less then what I made in 1988????? 

    You got the 'scumbag' part right!  
     
    kiwipride1983
    kiwipride1983
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2010
    Posts: 213
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 7:03 PM ET #18

    Curiously how much do McDonald workers get paid? 
    Reply
    Curiously how much do McDonald workers get paid? 
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 7:06 PM ET #19

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwipride1983:

    Curiously how much do McDonald workers get paid? 


    The minimum $7.25 per hour

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/03/18/mcdonalds-reviews-wage-theft-claims-as-workers-in-30-cities-protest-for-overtime-pay/
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwipride1983:

    Curiously how much do McDonald workers get paid? 


    The minimum $7.25 per hour

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/03/18/mcdonalds-reviews-wage-theft-claims-as-workers-in-30-cities-protest-for-overtime-pay/
     
    esplanade
    esplanade
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2008
    Posts: 9021
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 7:16 PM ET #20

    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxpoker:


    This my friend is the problem... You are so far behind the times it is not even funny... You sound like the scumbag business owners that want everything for nothing... Well those days are coming to an end. The kids of today would rather sit home and not make 7.25 an hour . and I dont blaim them...When I was 14 I made 80 dollars a night as a bus boy.. No one I knew made anything close to that ... They were stocking shelves for 5 .75 and hour...How can these kids make less then what I made in 1988????? 


    You sound like the type of guy that has his 6 kids in Jordans and flaunting the latest electrical gadgets, yet complains that he doesn't get enough food stamps. Do you even have a clue?? Do you see how many retail vacancies are out there? How many businesses have closed? Did they close because they were too successful and the governmental burdens on them too low??




    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxpoker:


    This my friend is the problem... You are so far behind the times it is not even funny... You sound like the scumbag business owners that want everything for nothing... Well those days are coming to an end. The kids of today would rather sit home and not make 7.25 an hour . and I dont blaim them...When I was 14 I made 80 dollars a night as a bus boy.. No one I knew made anything close to that ... They were stocking shelves for 5 .75 and hour...How can these kids make less then what I made in 1988????? 


    You sound like the type of guy that has his 6 kids in Jordans and flaunting the latest electrical gadgets, yet complains that he doesn't get enough food stamps. Do you even have a clue?? Do you see how many retail vacancies are out there? How many businesses have closed? Did they close because they were too successful and the governmental burdens on them too low??




     
    slamspurs
    slamspurs
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2004
    Posts: 5717
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 8:04 PM ET #21

    I've worked retail for many years when I was in college. Yes, the pay it low, and it's a crappy job, but there were some benefits.

    Flexible scheduling:You can work any days of the week you want. I was able to work around my school schedule pretty easily. Also could do night shifts if I wanted, since I'm not really a morning person.

    Cheap health insurance: I only paid like $20 a pay period for it, just it case something bad happened. Never used it once though, not even for an annual checkup.

    The People: A lot of these guys you spend a lot of time with, and you really enjoy their company, as they are usually either young, or young minded. Made work fun at times. Also brought a sense of team, since you're all there the same place, the same time, suffering together.

    Yeah, the job sucks, but they don't expect too much of you. Just come to work, do the job, and not worry too much about anything.

    Waiters/Servers in my area make great money, but that must be a regional thing. A friend of mine worked in a casual dining establishment (prob $15-$22 a meal depending on what you get), and he made more money than I did with a college education working in an office.

    Fridays and Saturdays when the alcohol is flowing, my friend would probably make $300 a night in tips. Think $30 a table, times 10 tables a night, probably not that hard to do. Think he said he made like 70k that year. Not bad for taking food and drink orders and smiling (they get some Spanish people to bring out the food for them).

    Everyone usually does retail at some point in their life, that's why a lot of people aren't fool. Having worked in retail for 7 years, I'm nice to everyone I run into at a store.

    So neither job is really that bad, especially if you are really young or really old in retail, or any age as a Server as long as you find the right spot.

    Reply

    I've worked retail for many years when I was in college. Yes, the pay it low, and it's a crappy job, but there were some benefits.

    Flexible scheduling:You can work any days of the week you want. I was able to work around my school schedule pretty easily. Also could do night shifts if I wanted, since I'm not really a morning person.

    Cheap health insurance: I only paid like $20 a pay period for it, just it case something bad happened. Never used it once though, not even for an annual checkup.

    The People: A lot of these guys you spend a lot of time with, and you really enjoy their company, as they are usually either young, or young minded. Made work fun at times. Also brought a sense of team, since you're all there the same place, the same time, suffering together.

    Yeah, the job sucks, but they don't expect too much of you. Just come to work, do the job, and not worry too much about anything.

    Waiters/Servers in my area make great money, but that must be a regional thing. A friend of mine worked in a casual dining establishment (prob $15-$22 a meal depending on what you get), and he made more money than I did with a college education working in an office.

    Fridays and Saturdays when the alcohol is flowing, my friend would probably make $300 a night in tips. Think $30 a table, times 10 tables a night, probably not that hard to do. Think he said he made like 70k that year. Not bad for taking food and drink orders and smiling (they get some Spanish people to bring out the food for them).

    Everyone usually does retail at some point in their life, that's why a lot of people aren't fool. Having worked in retail for 7 years, I'm nice to everyone I run into at a store.

    So neither job is really that bad, especially if you are really young or really old in retail, or any age as a Server as long as you find the right spot.

     
    Getty3
    Getty3
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 25178
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 8:08 PM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    Yeah I was a server during college for the same reasons listed above..the pay is good and you get paid every night.

    The place I worked was probably the top of its class in the entire state I was from, we did some serious business and the tips were good but the work is hard and it grinds your body pretty harshly.

    I enjoyed it, even with the stress and nightmares and worries..working with people your age in college, making good tips and good friendships..

    I think if you work as a server or in retail you understand and appreciate what others are doing for you..it should be mandatory that everyone do work like this, it was a great experience for me. I also know if times were ever tough and I needed to I could do it again and survive..

    Outstanding comments.  
    The important parts are that retail/service jobs are entry level positions for young people to get into the workforce and learn discipline/responsibility without going to the military. The few which choose to make a career out of it will do fine financially, but most will go on to different career paths. Too many people want it all at once without going through the education of a few jobs. As you implied, these jobs are more life learning experiences than they are occupations.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    Yeah I was a server during college for the same reasons listed above..the pay is good and you get paid every night.

    The place I worked was probably the top of its class in the entire state I was from, we did some serious business and the tips were good but the work is hard and it grinds your body pretty harshly.

    I enjoyed it, even with the stress and nightmares and worries..working with people your age in college, making good tips and good friendships..

    I think if you work as a server or in retail you understand and appreciate what others are doing for you..it should be mandatory that everyone do work like this, it was a great experience for me. I also know if times were ever tough and I needed to I could do it again and survive..

    Outstanding comments.  
    The important parts are that retail/service jobs are entry level positions for young people to get into the workforce and learn discipline/responsibility without going to the military. The few which choose to make a career out of it will do fine financially, but most will go on to different career paths. Too many people want it all at once without going through the education of a few jobs. As you implied, these jobs are more life learning experiences than they are occupations.  
     
    Knoxpoker
    Knoxpoker
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2011
    Posts: 1244
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 9:09 PM ET #23

    Quote Originally Posted by esplanade:



    You sound like the type of guy that has his 6 kids in Jordans and flaunting the latest electrical gadgets, yet complains that he doesn't get enough food stamps. Do you even have a clue?? Do you see how many retail vacancies are out there? How many businesses have closed? Did they close because they were too successful and the governmental burdens on them too low??


     



    To answer your question, yes I saw it in 2001 and after seeing that I became self sufficiant. I very rarely work , and I trade part time ... So my friend , sorry you have to depend on a job or a failing business to survive, but like I say , only the strong survive...Hey I bet I put more money in gas in my boat last summer then you made all year......lifes a girl aint it ....lol
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by esplanade:



    You sound like the type of guy that has his 6 kids in Jordans and flaunting the latest electrical gadgets, yet complains that he doesn't get enough food stamps. Do you even have a clue?? Do you see how many retail vacancies are out there? How many businesses have closed? Did they close because they were too successful and the governmental burdens on them too low??


     



    To answer your question, yes I saw it in 2001 and after seeing that I became self sufficiant. I very rarely work , and I trade part time ... So my friend , sorry you have to depend on a job or a failing business to survive, but like I say , only the strong survive...Hey I bet I put more money in gas in my boat last summer then you made all year......lifes a girl aint it ....lol
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8159
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 10:27 PM ET #24

    Knoxpoker----you are probably one of the biggest tools on the Covers Forum. Who says that kind of stuff? "I bet I put more money in gas in my boat last summer then you made all year"…….one of the silliest things I've ever read on here. 
    Reply
    Knoxpoker----you are probably one of the biggest tools on the Covers Forum. Who says that kind of stuff? "I bet I put more money in gas in my boat last summer then you made all year"…….one of the silliest things I've ever read on here. 
     
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8159
    Posted: Mar. 23, 2014 - 10:37 PM ET #25

    It takes quite a bit for me to show any animosity toward anyone but Jesus man, it makes my skin crawl when I see people making comments like that. BOL bud. 
    Reply
    It takes quite a bit for me to show any animosity toward anyone but Jesus man, it makes my skin crawl when I see people making comments like that. BOL bud. 
    All Forums | General Discussion
    1234 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 450,542
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,179
    • Rams vs Broncos in game live SNF 2,731
    • Monday 09/28/2026 658
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 102,018
    • HELP PLEASE 1,609
    • PART DEUX 233
    • Mike Trout Strikeouts 7,145
    • Another BS PI 953
    • King of Covers Winner List 12,244

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.