• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 3
      NFL Week 3
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Do any of you work in retail and/or are a server at a restaurant and how do you like it?

    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»
    Crusher13
    FiatLux4
    tjohnsont
    wallstreetcappers
    OnlyGod
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3432
    Posts: 93
    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»
     
    Crusher13
    Crusher13
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 8056
    Posted: Mar. 27, 2014 - 2:25 AM ET #51

    Quote Originally Posted by FiatLux4:


    Hahahahaha.....what is it with water no ice? If we know they are coming in advance, the table is actually set with water no ice. Do they have teeth sensitivity issues as a population? I honestly have no clue.

    Let me just say by your posts, you are what this industry needs, you get it, it's all about attitude and I totally understand....But what's up with no automatic tip on that monster party? Don't most places do an automatic 15,18, or 20% on parties of 6, 8 or more? Tell me that hasn't changed?  HOW DISCOURAGING It is always the BIG groups/orders when you get screwed the most. I personally, want very little to do with those, over the longhaul...I've hit a couple but can't tell you how many have been total "disasters" And oh yeah, them damn Canadiens
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by FiatLux4:


    Hahahahaha.....what is it with water no ice? If we know they are coming in advance, the table is actually set with water no ice. Do they have teeth sensitivity issues as a population? I honestly have no clue.

    Let me just say by your posts, you are what this industry needs, you get it, it's all about attitude and I totally understand....But what's up with no automatic tip on that monster party? Don't most places do an automatic 15,18, or 20% on parties of 6, 8 or more? Tell me that hasn't changed?  HOW DISCOURAGING It is always the BIG groups/orders when you get screwed the most. I personally, want very little to do with those, over the longhaul...I've hit a couple but can't tell you how many have been total "disasters" And oh yeah, them damn Canadiens
     
    FiatLux4
    FiatLux4
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2014
    Posts: 704
    Posted: Mar. 27, 2014 - 2:37 AM ET #52

    I sincerely appreciate your post. It comes few and far between. Cheers man.

    As far as automatic gratuity goes, here's your answer:

    https://smallbiztrends.com/2014/02/new-irs-rule-on-automatic-gratuities.html

    So restaurant operators leave you with two options:

    1. Take it as a service charge and have the tip show up on your check (the problem is your check pays your taxes so you won't see any of the tip at all as it will all go to the IRS).

    2. Roll the dice and let the party decide what the gratuity is.

    Sadly, option two is all you're left with and clearly you know that means sometimes pulling down your pants and getting fisted without lube (i.e. that Saturday night leaving with $23 after tip out when usually its $250).

    As far as Canadians go, the industry around here has come very wise to that word and not only is it faux pas, you can get in trouble for it. I saw someone get suspended for a week and was lucky it wasn't their job. Crazy where society has come from just fifteen years ago to now.
    Reply
    I sincerely appreciate your post. It comes few and far between. Cheers man.

    As far as automatic gratuity goes, here's your answer:

    https://smallbiztrends.com/2014/02/new-irs-rule-on-automatic-gratuities.html

    So restaurant operators leave you with two options:

    1. Take it as a service charge and have the tip show up on your check (the problem is your check pays your taxes so you won't see any of the tip at all as it will all go to the IRS).

    2. Roll the dice and let the party decide what the gratuity is.

    Sadly, option two is all you're left with and clearly you know that means sometimes pulling down your pants and getting fisted without lube (i.e. that Saturday night leaving with $23 after tip out when usually its $250).

    As far as Canadians go, the industry around here has come very wise to that word and not only is it faux pas, you can get in trouble for it. I saw someone get suspended for a week and was lucky it wasn't their job. Crazy where society has come from just fifteen years ago to now.
     
    tjohnsont
    tjohnsont
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 5761
    Posted: Mar. 27, 2014 - 10:35 AM ET #53

    They should get rid of tips and raise the menu prices.  
    That will get rid of the cheap tippers, the complaining servers, and will be beneficial for me so I don't have to pay more tip and makes me lose out for being the nice guy.

    Whichever restaurant owner that designed the tip system was a genius.  How he got it to be widely accepted was even more genius.
    Reply
    They should get rid of tips and raise the menu prices.  
    That will get rid of the cheap tippers, the complaining servers, and will be beneficial for me so I don't have to pay more tip and makes me lose out for being the nice guy.

    Whichever restaurant owner that designed the tip system was a genius.  How he got it to be widely accepted was even more genius.
     
    tjohnsont
    tjohnsont
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 5761
    Posted: Mar. 27, 2014 - 10:43 AM ET #54

    Or maybe some smart server came up with tips.

    They also get to dodge taxes.

    A $100 tip night becomes a $120-130 tip night when you consider the tax savings.
    Reply
    Or maybe some smart server came up with tips.

    They also get to dodge taxes.

    A $100 tip night becomes a $120-130 tip night when you consider the tax savings.
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: Mar. 27, 2014 - 2:04 PM ET #55

    Quote Originally Posted by FiatLux4:


    Hahahahaha.....what is it with water no ice? If we know they are coming in advance, the table is actually set with water no ice. Do they have teeth sensitivity issues as a population? I honestly have no clue.

    That and as a pretty general rule they do not have extensive residential freezers in India..people are not raised drinking ice water, rather just tap or room temp water.

    I have some friends from India and have learned quite a bit...with the water issue being one thing I didnt know.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by FiatLux4:


    Hahahahaha.....what is it with water no ice? If we know they are coming in advance, the table is actually set with water no ice. Do they have teeth sensitivity issues as a population? I honestly have no clue.

    That and as a pretty general rule they do not have extensive residential freezers in India..people are not raised drinking ice water, rather just tap or room temp water.

    I have some friends from India and have learned quite a bit...with the water issue being one thing I didnt know.
     
    tjohnsont
    tjohnsont
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 5761
    Posted: Mar. 27, 2014 - 2:10 PM ET #56

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    That and as a pretty general rule they do not have extensive residential freezers in India..people are not raised drinking ice water, rather just tap or room temp water.

    I have some friends from India and have learned quite a bit...with the water issue being one thing I didnt know.

    Some people prefer room temp water.  My wife drinks room temp water bottles while I prefer them ice cold.   

    I notice alot of asians also seem to drink alot of hot tea or hot water so maybe they get used to drinking it at room temp or warmer.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    That and as a pretty general rule they do not have extensive residential freezers in India..people are not raised drinking ice water, rather just tap or room temp water.

    I have some friends from India and have learned quite a bit...with the water issue being one thing I didnt know.

    Some people prefer room temp water.  My wife drinks room temp water bottles while I prefer them ice cold.   

    I notice alot of asians also seem to drink alot of hot tea or hot water so maybe they get used to drinking it at room temp or warmer.
     
    Crusher13
    Crusher13
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 8056
    Posted: Mar. 27, 2014 - 4:02 PM ET #57

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    That and as a pretty general rule they do not have extensive residential freezers in India..people are not raised drinking ice water, rather just tap or room temp water.

    I have some friends from India and have learned quite a bit...with the water issue being one thing I didnt know.

    Many Indians are very good "business people" too... they definitely understand the "art" of a deal with the best of em' 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    That and as a pretty general rule they do not have extensive residential freezers in India..people are not raised drinking ice water, rather just tap or room temp water.

    I have some friends from India and have learned quite a bit...with the water issue being one thing I didnt know.

    Many Indians are very good "business people" too... they definitely understand the "art" of a deal with the best of em' 
     
    FiatLux4
    FiatLux4
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2014
    Posts: 704
    Posted: Mar. 27, 2014 - 4:06 PM ET #58

    Quote Originally Posted by tjohnsont:

    Or maybe some smart server came up with tips.

    They also get to dodge taxes.

    A $100 tip night becomes a $120-130 tip night when you consider the tax savings.

    There's no tax dodge. Your $400 bi-weekly paycheck goes straight to the government. Your tips are taxed on your wage. And if you make really good money, you owe the government even more come tax time. The good servers I know this year are paying $3-6K in additional taxes.

    Again, from a labor perspective, restaurants wouldn't make money if they had to pay servers double. Their net profits would hopefully be in the 2-3% range and that just doesn't cut it if you're only doing $1-2 million in sales per year as the average restaurant is.

    ----

    As far as the room temperature water thing goes, I honestly did not know that about freezers in India. That certainly sheds light on the subject and really makes sense.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by tjohnsont:

    Or maybe some smart server came up with tips.

    They also get to dodge taxes.

    A $100 tip night becomes a $120-130 tip night when you consider the tax savings.

    There's no tax dodge. Your $400 bi-weekly paycheck goes straight to the government. Your tips are taxed on your wage. And if you make really good money, you owe the government even more come tax time. The good servers I know this year are paying $3-6K in additional taxes.

    Again, from a labor perspective, restaurants wouldn't make money if they had to pay servers double. Their net profits would hopefully be in the 2-3% range and that just doesn't cut it if you're only doing $1-2 million in sales per year as the average restaurant is.

    ----

    As far as the room temperature water thing goes, I honestly did not know that about freezers in India. That certainly sheds light on the subject and really makes sense.
     
    tjohnsont
    tjohnsont
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 5761
    Posted: Mar. 27, 2014 - 4:52 PM ET #59

    Quote Originally Posted by FiatLux4:


    There's no tax dodge. Your $400 bi-weekly paycheck goes straight to the government. Your tips are taxed on your wage. And if you make really good money, you owe the government even more come tax time. The good servers I know this year are paying $3-6K in additional taxes.

    Again, from a labor perspective, restaurants wouldn't make money if they had to pay servers double. Their net profits would hopefully be in the 2-3% range and that just doesn't cut it if you're only doing $1-2 million in sales per year as the average restaurant is.

    ----

    As far as the room temperature water thing goes, I honestly did not know that about freezers in India. That certainly sheds light on the subject and really makes sense.

    So all servers and people in that industry that receive tip claim every penny of it on their taxes?

    I notice a restaurant I believe in LA that did away with tips.  I rather much have it like that.  Restaurants will adjust prices based on their expected profit- nothing hard about that.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by FiatLux4:


    There's no tax dodge. Your $400 bi-weekly paycheck goes straight to the government. Your tips are taxed on your wage. And if you make really good money, you owe the government even more come tax time. The good servers I know this year are paying $3-6K in additional taxes.

    Again, from a labor perspective, restaurants wouldn't make money if they had to pay servers double. Their net profits would hopefully be in the 2-3% range and that just doesn't cut it if you're only doing $1-2 million in sales per year as the average restaurant is.

    ----

    As far as the room temperature water thing goes, I honestly did not know that about freezers in India. That certainly sheds light on the subject and really makes sense.

    So all servers and people in that industry that receive tip claim every penny of it on their taxes?

    I notice a restaurant I believe in LA that did away with tips.  I rather much have it like that.  Restaurants will adjust prices based on their expected profit- nothing hard about that.
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58424
    Posted: Mar. 27, 2014 - 9:36 PM ET #60

    Quote Originally Posted by tjohnsont:


    So all servers and people in that industry that receive tip claim every penny of it on their taxes?

    I notice a restaurant I believe in LA that did away with tips.  I rather much have it like that.  Restaurants will adjust prices based on their expected profit- nothing hard about that.

    The place I worked was required to claim a percentage of sales I transacted..so I was auto claimed then I would add on top of that percentage when I entered my credit card slips for the day into the system.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by tjohnsont:


    So all servers and people in that industry that receive tip claim every penny of it on their taxes?

    I notice a restaurant I believe in LA that did away with tips.  I rather much have it like that.  Restaurants will adjust prices based on their expected profit- nothing hard about that.

    The place I worked was required to claim a percentage of sales I transacted..so I was auto claimed then I would add on top of that percentage when I entered my credit card slips for the day into the system.
     
    tjohnsont
    tjohnsont
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 5761
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 12:15 AM ET #61

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    The place I worked was required to claim a percentage of sales I transacted..so I was auto claimed then I would add on top of that percentage when I entered my credit card slips for the day into the system.

    I wouldn't be surprised the IRS expected a certain percentage of those sales to have a tip minimum which they expect to be taxed in which these places happily obliged.

      But I'm sure those are minimum amounts.  



    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    The place I worked was required to claim a percentage of sales I transacted..so I was auto claimed then I would add on top of that percentage when I entered my credit card slips for the day into the system.

    I wouldn't be surprised the IRS expected a certain percentage of those sales to have a tip minimum which they expect to be taxed in which these places happily obliged.

      But I'm sure those are minimum amounts.  



     
    OnlyGod
    OnlyGod
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 5868
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 1:25 AM ET #62

    lol guy did one for a while barely made enough to pay car insurance and gas a little extra for rent.  I was literally living off carrots and cheap costco protein powder I had a big court case coming up too needed a bunch of money for the lawyer it felt like hell someday.  The other staff were funny cool guys in similar boats competing like animals for 6 dollars extra for some crappy nike sales.  I just don't know about that garbage it's enough to make wanna be a cop and at least a steady salary even though I used to hate cops.
    Reply
    lol guy did one for a while barely made enough to pay car insurance and gas a little extra for rent.  I was literally living off carrots and cheap costco protein powder I had a big court case coming up too needed a bunch of money for the lawyer it felt like hell someday.  The other staff were funny cool guys in similar boats competing like animals for 6 dollars extra for some crappy nike sales.  I just don't know about that garbage it's enough to make wanna be a cop and at least a steady salary even though I used to hate cops.
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 1:54 AM ET #63

    Quote Originally Posted by tjohnsont:


    I tip 20%+- the ones that give me poor service by 'cold reading' can go to hell.


    With that said, I never really experience service that is not consistent with who the person is.  I notice a crappy server is usually crappy to every table and vice versa.  It seems to go with a server's personality.  
    I can relate to that.........as a former server I can "cold read" a server the moment they start in. You can tell when they've already decided your table isn't worth much of their time.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by tjohnsont:


    I tip 20%+- the ones that give me poor service by 'cold reading' can go to hell.


    With that said, I never really experience service that is not consistent with who the person is.  I notice a crappy server is usually crappy to every table and vice versa.  It seems to go with a server's personality.  
    I can relate to that.........as a former server I can "cold read" a server the moment they start in. You can tell when they've already decided your table isn't worth much of their time.

     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 6:33 AM ET #64

    Quote Originally Posted by tjohnsont:


    So all servers and people in that industry that receive tip claim every penny of it on their taxes?

    I notice a restaurant I believe in LA that did away with tips.  I rather much have it like that.  Restaurants will adjust prices based on their expected profit- nothing hard about that.

    They don't claim every penny on their taxes but in the modern day it doesn't matter.

    I'll bet 90% of paying customers use a debit card and your tips are therefore documented so you better claim them.

    Fiat, can you confirm this?
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by tjohnsont:


    So all servers and people in that industry that receive tip claim every penny of it on their taxes?

    I notice a restaurant I believe in LA that did away with tips.  I rather much have it like that.  Restaurants will adjust prices based on their expected profit- nothing hard about that.

    They don't claim every penny on their taxes but in the modern day it doesn't matter.

    I'll bet 90% of paying customers use a debit card and your tips are therefore documented so you better claim them.

    Fiat, can you confirm this?
     
    HutchEmAll
    HutchEmAll
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 38704
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 9:35 AM ET #65

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    They don't claim every penny on their taxes but in the modern day it doesn't matter.

    I'll bet 90% of paying customers use a debit card and your tips are therefore documented so you better claim them.

    Fiat, can you confirm this?

    I don't have any experience with this, but my guess is the IRS has bigger fish to fry.  I'm not saying it's a free pass to fudge the numbers as far as tips go, but it would require a lot of work to track down someone who might be withholding a grand or so to the IRS through the course of the year.  Not sure that's time well spent. Then again, it is a government entity.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    They don't claim every penny on their taxes but in the modern day it doesn't matter.

    I'll bet 90% of paying customers use a debit card and your tips are therefore documented so you better claim them.

    Fiat, can you confirm this?

    I don't have any experience with this, but my guess is the IRS has bigger fish to fry.  I'm not saying it's a free pass to fudge the numbers as far as tips go, but it would require a lot of work to track down someone who might be withholding a grand or so to the IRS through the course of the year.  Not sure that's time well spent. Then again, it is a government entity.  
     
    tjohnsont
    tjohnsont
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 5761
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 11:04 AM ET #66

    Quote Originally Posted by HutchEmAll:


    I don't have any experience with this, but my guess is the IRS has bigger fish to fry.  I'm not saying it's a free pass to fudge the numbers as far as tips go, but it would require a lot of work to track down someone who might be withholding a grand or so to the IRS through the course of the year.  Not sure that's time well spent. Then again, it is a government entity.  

    They also have no way to prove you did get paid more tip unless they send an agent to sit there and see how much tip you are really making that day or week.   They also probably calculate how much tip you received versus your co-workers or other people in the same industry.

    I think you are correct that they are not gonna chase a $1000 tax cheat but since I believe they can go back up to 6 years they might consider auditing a $10-20K tax cheat.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by HutchEmAll:


    I don't have any experience with this, but my guess is the IRS has bigger fish to fry.  I'm not saying it's a free pass to fudge the numbers as far as tips go, but it would require a lot of work to track down someone who might be withholding a grand or so to the IRS through the course of the year.  Not sure that's time well spent. Then again, it is a government entity.  

    They also have no way to prove you did get paid more tip unless they send an agent to sit there and see how much tip you are really making that day or week.   They also probably calculate how much tip you received versus your co-workers or other people in the same industry.

    I think you are correct that they are not gonna chase a $1000 tax cheat but since I believe they can go back up to 6 years they might consider auditing a $10-20K tax cheat.
     
    Crusher13
    Crusher13
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 8056
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 12:17 PM ET #67

    Most, if not all, record and report every cc/debit transaction tip now that's why more and more folks tip in cash The IRS has come down strongly on making sure theuy get "the little guy's " money too..

    What I find sad is the removal of the guaranteed tips on parties of 6 or more... all it takes is one bad apple that feels slighted in that party to start bitching and moaning to others in their party poisoning the servers potential tip
    Reply
    Most, if not all, record and report every cc/debit transaction tip now that's why more and more folks tip in cash The IRS has come down strongly on making sure theuy get "the little guy's " money too..

    What I find sad is the removal of the guaranteed tips on parties of 6 or more... all it takes is one bad apple that feels slighted in that party to start bitching and moaning to others in their party poisoning the servers potential tip
     
    CMJohnson1
    CMJohnson1
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 36739
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 12:43 PM ET #68

    First of all, great thread.  Enjoyed reading thoughts/experiences of others in the industry from different parts of the country.

    I've been in the restaurant/bar/management industry for 3+ years now...and have a feeling that it will always be a part of my life.  Personally, I don't look at it from a "per night" perspective as far as my tips, but from a "per hour" perspective.  Some nights I make $30/hr...some nights I make $10/hr.  The way I see it, it all evens out in the end.  You are going to have your shltty tippers...you are going to get stiffed...you are going to get bitched at for no reason.  Unfortunately there are too many people in the world that look at us as servants rather than servers.  Now Scal...you wanted the pros and cons of it all...so here you go.

    PROS:

    1.  This is the biggest one for me, and nobody has mentioned it so far.  You will ALWAYS have a job.  No matter how terrible the economy, no matter what part of the country you live.  I recently moved from New Hampshire to Florida to finally pursue the golf industry.  I'm 30 years old, single, no kids...figured it was time to make a change.  I arrived on a Wednesday, got hired on Thursday, started working on Friday, and had cash in my pocket on Saturday.  Not sure there is any other industry in the world like that.  You can get "laid off" or fired...and move on to the next restaurant down the street that very day.  No reason to have a resume unless you want to get into a top level place or for management, as they will very rarely call previous employers.

    2.  Making $15-$20 an hour is better than most people in this world.  As was mentioned several times before, if you are able to manage your money well...you can very easily make a solid living in this business.  I've been on both sides of that fence however...making money now and working hard to save it, but it's entirely too easy to sit at the bar after your shift and have a few beers.  That $100 you made in a night disappears down to $70 real fast after the bar takes it back.

    3.  The social aspect.  If you are a male in this environment, you will have plenty of "options" if you catch my drift.  The restaurant I came from in the Northeast had 5 couples that got married and are now starting their families.  Everything because of working together at the restaurant.  There is high turnover as well, so there is always new prospects coming in.

    4.  Every night/day is different.  In the 3+ years I've been doing this, I've never had a day that was exactly the same as another day.  Going into the day, you don't know what's going to happen.  That's where the gambling comparisons come into play.  Big parties/foreigners/good tippers/busy night/slow night...anything and everything is possible.  When I was in the sales management field, every day was the same.  Woke up at 8, in the office at 9, interviews from 10-12, training from 1-3, out in the field until 9.  Go to bed, wake up, do the same thing 5 days a week.  The money was overall better, but not by much.

    CONS:

    1.  Stress.  Dealing with people day in and day out is stressful.  Now add in the fact that these people are going out and spending money and expect everything to be perfect.  Throw in those people that have never been in the service industry in any way and don't know how to act/conduct themselves.  Throw in the screaming kids with parents that don't know how to control them...so your sugars are now all over the table/floor and only 10% of the little buggers meal made it into their mouths. 

    2.  Physically demanding.  No, I'm not lifting bricks up and down stairs all day...but I am on my feet for 6-12 hours straight...I do walk 6 miles per shift...the floors are not nice and soft, generally concrete or tile.  Being around people constantly also means that you are more prone to sickness.

    3.  You are instantly replaceable.  If you get the manager/owner that just doesn't care or doesn't realize how much you do...you are constantly walking on eggshells.  This is the situation where I'm at now...and it's a pain in the a$$.  We've had 20 people quit or get fired since January 1st.  I've also been in fantastic environments where the managers support the staff no matter what.  You learn to adapt and adjust to each scenario.

    4.  No set money.  It's a commission position essentially.  You are gambling on your living on a daily basis.  I've had shifts where I've walked away with $20.  I've had shifts where I've walked away with $400...you just never know so it's incredibly difficult to budget.  This also bleeds into a pro situation however as I've used this in my sports betting to be incredibly disciplined financially.

    5.  No benefits.  There are very few restaurants out there that provide benefits, let alone good benefits.  The restaurant I'm at now does not offer them at all because it's not a chain, not enough employees, and the owner is a d-bag that doesn't want to pony up a penny to help the staff.  The last place I was at the insurance would have cost me $157 a month (single, healthy male) with a $10,000 deductible.  You want vacation pay?  You have to be full-time for 1+ year generally.  After that, it's based on your claimed tips...so if you want to get good vacation pay, it's gonna hurt you on the IRS end of things because you'll have to claim all your tips.


    Overall, I love the industry because it is a gamble every day and it's constant entertainment.  It gives me enough money to pay all of my bills, as well as enough to save some money and still go out and have my fun from time to time.  In the end, that's all you really ask for in a job.  I'm not giving up on the golf industry, have several interviews in the next couple weeks...but like I said up above, I will more than likely always be involved in the restaurant business in some way.


    Reply
    First of all, great thread.  Enjoyed reading thoughts/experiences of others in the industry from different parts of the country.

    I've been in the restaurant/bar/management industry for 3+ years now...and have a feeling that it will always be a part of my life.  Personally, I don't look at it from a "per night" perspective as far as my tips, but from a "per hour" perspective.  Some nights I make $30/hr...some nights I make $10/hr.  The way I see it, it all evens out in the end.  You are going to have your shltty tippers...you are going to get stiffed...you are going to get bitched at for no reason.  Unfortunately there are too many people in the world that look at us as servants rather than servers.  Now Scal...you wanted the pros and cons of it all...so here you go.

    PROS:

    1.  This is the biggest one for me, and nobody has mentioned it so far.  You will ALWAYS have a job.  No matter how terrible the economy, no matter what part of the country you live.  I recently moved from New Hampshire to Florida to finally pursue the golf industry.  I'm 30 years old, single, no kids...figured it was time to make a change.  I arrived on a Wednesday, got hired on Thursday, started working on Friday, and had cash in my pocket on Saturday.  Not sure there is any other industry in the world like that.  You can get "laid off" or fired...and move on to the next restaurant down the street that very day.  No reason to have a resume unless you want to get into a top level place or for management, as they will very rarely call previous employers.

    2.  Making $15-$20 an hour is better than most people in this world.  As was mentioned several times before, if you are able to manage your money well...you can very easily make a solid living in this business.  I've been on both sides of that fence however...making money now and working hard to save it, but it's entirely too easy to sit at the bar after your shift and have a few beers.  That $100 you made in a night disappears down to $70 real fast after the bar takes it back.

    3.  The social aspect.  If you are a male in this environment, you will have plenty of "options" if you catch my drift.  The restaurant I came from in the Northeast had 5 couples that got married and are now starting their families.  Everything because of working together at the restaurant.  There is high turnover as well, so there is always new prospects coming in.

    4.  Every night/day is different.  In the 3+ years I've been doing this, I've never had a day that was exactly the same as another day.  Going into the day, you don't know what's going to happen.  That's where the gambling comparisons come into play.  Big parties/foreigners/good tippers/busy night/slow night...anything and everything is possible.  When I was in the sales management field, every day was the same.  Woke up at 8, in the office at 9, interviews from 10-12, training from 1-3, out in the field until 9.  Go to bed, wake up, do the same thing 5 days a week.  The money was overall better, but not by much.

    CONS:

    1.  Stress.  Dealing with people day in and day out is stressful.  Now add in the fact that these people are going out and spending money and expect everything to be perfect.  Throw in those people that have never been in the service industry in any way and don't know how to act/conduct themselves.  Throw in the screaming kids with parents that don't know how to control them...so your sugars are now all over the table/floor and only 10% of the little buggers meal made it into their mouths. 

    2.  Physically demanding.  No, I'm not lifting bricks up and down stairs all day...but I am on my feet for 6-12 hours straight...I do walk 6 miles per shift...the floors are not nice and soft, generally concrete or tile.  Being around people constantly also means that you are more prone to sickness.

    3.  You are instantly replaceable.  If you get the manager/owner that just doesn't care or doesn't realize how much you do...you are constantly walking on eggshells.  This is the situation where I'm at now...and it's a pain in the a$$.  We've had 20 people quit or get fired since January 1st.  I've also been in fantastic environments where the managers support the staff no matter what.  You learn to adapt and adjust to each scenario.

    4.  No set money.  It's a commission position essentially.  You are gambling on your living on a daily basis.  I've had shifts where I've walked away with $20.  I've had shifts where I've walked away with $400...you just never know so it's incredibly difficult to budget.  This also bleeds into a pro situation however as I've used this in my sports betting to be incredibly disciplined financially.

    5.  No benefits.  There are very few restaurants out there that provide benefits, let alone good benefits.  The restaurant I'm at now does not offer them at all because it's not a chain, not enough employees, and the owner is a d-bag that doesn't want to pony up a penny to help the staff.  The last place I was at the insurance would have cost me $157 a month (single, healthy male) with a $10,000 deductible.  You want vacation pay?  You have to be full-time for 1+ year generally.  After that, it's based on your claimed tips...so if you want to get good vacation pay, it's gonna hurt you on the IRS end of things because you'll have to claim all your tips.


    Overall, I love the industry because it is a gamble every day and it's constant entertainment.  It gives me enough money to pay all of my bills, as well as enough to save some money and still go out and have my fun from time to time.  In the end, that's all you really ask for in a job.  I'm not giving up on the golf industry, have several interviews in the next couple weeks...but like I said up above, I will more than likely always be involved in the restaurant business in some way.


     
    CMJohnson1
    CMJohnson1
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 36739
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 12:57 PM ET #69

    As far as the rules change on the auto-gratuity...

    It sucks. 

    Most restaurants would put this in place for parties of 6 or 8 or more.  Generally, those are reservations.  Most of the time, if that table is in your section for the evening that is the only time that table(s) will be sat.  Sections are generally between 4-7 tables depending on the night/restaurant.  If you have a party of 15 that takes up 2 or 3 of your tables...that's essentially your night.  You know that party is going to be there for 2 hours minimum...add in the hour beforehand that the table isn't sat because they know the large party is coming in, as well as the 15-20 minutes after they leave for the clean up and set up and that's what you have.  Now a party of 15 will generally run up a bill of between $250 on the low end to $500 on the higher end.  With an 18% auto-gratuity option, the server knows what to expect.  Other major factor is that at many restaurants, you are required to "split" a large party between two servers in order to get better service. 

    At the restaurant I'm at now...a party of 15 will run up a $300 bill on average.  I am not required to split it...but I do have to tip out a hostess, the bartender, and the food runners/expediters.  With auto-gratuity of 18% I would get $54.  I tip out 10% of my tips to the expo...so that's down to $49.  I tip out 5% of my beverage sales to the bar...so that's down to $44 (figured a $5 beverage average)...I tip out 5% of tips to the hostess so we are down to $41.  I just went from 18% down to 13%.  I also lost half my section for 2+ hours for this large party.  With the auto-gratuity option, I was betting the OVER 43 in a game when the halftime score was 23-20.  Now without it...it's 21-20 with 8 minutes left in the game.  Am I going to win?  Probably.  But there is doubt.

    I would much rather have parties of 2-4 all night where I can turn em and burn em!!
    Reply
    As far as the rules change on the auto-gratuity...

    It sucks. 

    Most restaurants would put this in place for parties of 6 or 8 or more.  Generally, those are reservations.  Most of the time, if that table is in your section for the evening that is the only time that table(s) will be sat.  Sections are generally between 4-7 tables depending on the night/restaurant.  If you have a party of 15 that takes up 2 or 3 of your tables...that's essentially your night.  You know that party is going to be there for 2 hours minimum...add in the hour beforehand that the table isn't sat because they know the large party is coming in, as well as the 15-20 minutes after they leave for the clean up and set up and that's what you have.  Now a party of 15 will generally run up a bill of between $250 on the low end to $500 on the higher end.  With an 18% auto-gratuity option, the server knows what to expect.  Other major factor is that at many restaurants, you are required to "split" a large party between two servers in order to get better service. 

    At the restaurant I'm at now...a party of 15 will run up a $300 bill on average.  I am not required to split it...but I do have to tip out a hostess, the bartender, and the food runners/expediters.  With auto-gratuity of 18% I would get $54.  I tip out 10% of my tips to the expo...so that's down to $49.  I tip out 5% of my beverage sales to the bar...so that's down to $44 (figured a $5 beverage average)...I tip out 5% of tips to the hostess so we are down to $41.  I just went from 18% down to 13%.  I also lost half my section for 2+ hours for this large party.  With the auto-gratuity option, I was betting the OVER 43 in a game when the halftime score was 23-20.  Now without it...it's 21-20 with 8 minutes left in the game.  Am I going to win?  Probably.  But there is doubt.

    I would much rather have parties of 2-4 all night where I can turn em and burn em!!
     
    Runnin Mitch
    Runnin Mitch
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2000
    Posts: 841
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 1:12 PM ET #70

    I have been a Server / Manager/Cook at a restaurant for years.And I train the servers at the place I work at now. I do love it,but as all of you have said there are a lot of drawbacks.
      I hate waiting on Bachelorette Parites.Always HIGH HIGH Maintenance with every party like this. Always 20 different tabs because most people have no concept of basic math any more. Also, there is the fact that I have to take pictures of them . I am not part of the paparazzi !!! Anytime some woman is wearing a tiara at a table the doucheness factor goes up 7000%.
       Boy did you nail it on the head about Indian people not tipping!!!!! 10 % if you are lucky ,but most time nothing. I am polite to them ,but I will not bust my arse when I know what will happen at the end when I present the tab. Also Indians split meals too. A 20 dollar meal is like an entire Turkey to them.I am sick of you and your water with no ice !!!
      Most African American people tip 10 % too. Sorry if some of you are offended. As we say " Living Large ...Tipping Small !! ".Also when a white girl and a black guy go out ,The girl pays about 80 % of the time . Cracks me up..I should put of Black Face next time I take my lady out to dinner !
     There are a lot of positives too. The money is good if you work in the right spot ,and my co -workers are wonderful. We always smoke a Blunt or 2 when we finish and laugh a ton !
       Also  there are tons of women around. I am in my mid 40's and I have been dating a girl for quite awhile who is only 23 ! She makes me feel like a Champion . I don't think this could happen anywhere else unless I was making 6 figures,but she used to work with me ,and we started dating after she left my restaurant.
      I could list a ton of Pet Hates I have Like: #1.  Singing Happy Birthday ( I tell people I am a Jehovah's Witness ,and My religion forbids me singing Happy Birthday.)     or #2.  When a party walks in 2 minutes before we close and  we have put everything away in the kitchen. or # 3. When parents let their kids run wild in the restaurant and will not control them.( Why do you have to get a license to own a dog ,but not one to have a child ???)
      In conclusion , it is a tough gig ,but I love it. I am looking forward to going in tonight ;losing my mind and then smoking with my staff after. I love the fact that I can be myself and have made a TON of friends . I would rather be in jail then work a 9 to 5 job . If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks for listening.
    Reply
    I have been a Server / Manager/Cook at a restaurant for years.And I train the servers at the place I work at now. I do love it,but as all of you have said there are a lot of drawbacks.
      I hate waiting on Bachelorette Parites.Always HIGH HIGH Maintenance with every party like this. Always 20 different tabs because most people have no concept of basic math any more. Also, there is the fact that I have to take pictures of them . I am not part of the paparazzi !!! Anytime some woman is wearing a tiara at a table the doucheness factor goes up 7000%.
       Boy did you nail it on the head about Indian people not tipping!!!!! 10 % if you are lucky ,but most time nothing. I am polite to them ,but I will not bust my arse when I know what will happen at the end when I present the tab. Also Indians split meals too. A 20 dollar meal is like an entire Turkey to them.I am sick of you and your water with no ice !!!
      Most African American people tip 10 % too. Sorry if some of you are offended. As we say " Living Large ...Tipping Small !! ".Also when a white girl and a black guy go out ,The girl pays about 80 % of the time . Cracks me up..I should put of Black Face next time I take my lady out to dinner !
     There are a lot of positives too. The money is good if you work in the right spot ,and my co -workers are wonderful. We always smoke a Blunt or 2 when we finish and laugh a ton !
       Also  there are tons of women around. I am in my mid 40's and I have been dating a girl for quite awhile who is only 23 ! She makes me feel like a Champion . I don't think this could happen anywhere else unless I was making 6 figures,but she used to work with me ,and we started dating after she left my restaurant.
      I could list a ton of Pet Hates I have Like: #1.  Singing Happy Birthday ( I tell people I am a Jehovah's Witness ,and My religion forbids me singing Happy Birthday.)     or #2.  When a party walks in 2 minutes before we close and  we have put everything away in the kitchen. or # 3. When parents let their kids run wild in the restaurant and will not control them.( Why do you have to get a license to own a dog ,but not one to have a child ???)
      In conclusion , it is a tough gig ,but I love it. I am looking forward to going in tonight ;losing my mind and then smoking with my staff after. I love the fact that I can be myself and have made a TON of friends . I would rather be in jail then work a 9 to 5 job . If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks for listening.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 2:16 PM ET #71

    Wait a minute CM: I am just at #2 in the Pros but the restaurant/bar you work at won't throw you some free beers after your shift (with an ocean of beer on tap)????!!!

    If are you talking about going to another bar, ok, but if not, gimmee a break here. 

    It's beer. You deserve a drink or several after being on your feet all night. Or not???
    Reply
    Wait a minute CM: I am just at #2 in the Pros but the restaurant/bar you work at won't throw you some free beers after your shift (with an ocean of beer on tap)????!!!

    If are you talking about going to another bar, ok, but if not, gimmee a break here. 

    It's beer. You deserve a drink or several after being on your feet all night. Or not???
     
    FiatLux4
    FiatLux4
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2014
    Posts: 704
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 2:41 PM ET #72

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    The place I worked was required to claim a percentage of sales I transacted..so I was auto claimed then I would add on top of that percentage when I entered my credit card slips for the day into the system.

    WSC is completely correct. All credit card sales are automatically claimed for you and that is roughly 90% of all transactions. We are also forced to claim 12% of our cash sales (at least at my joint). That puts you at 97% right there so there really is no difference in claiming all off it or not. It's done for you.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    The place I worked was required to claim a percentage of sales I transacted..so I was auto claimed then I would add on top of that percentage when I entered my credit card slips for the day into the system.

    WSC is completely correct. All credit card sales are automatically claimed for you and that is roughly 90% of all transactions. We are also forced to claim 12% of our cash sales (at least at my joint). That puts you at 97% right there so there really is no difference in claiming all off it or not. It's done for you.
     
    FiatLux4
    FiatLux4
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2014
    Posts: 704
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 2:45 PM ET #73

    Quote Originally Posted by THEMUGG:

    I can relate to that.........as a former server I can "cold read" a server the moment they start in. You can tell when they've already decided your table isn't worth much of their time.


    Absolutely true. However, cold reading applies to all facets of social life. In restaurants you are simply using it a lot more often. 

    Sad to say you are correct about most servers not caring about you either.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by THEMUGG:

    I can relate to that.........as a former server I can "cold read" a server the moment they start in. You can tell when they've already decided your table isn't worth much of their time.


    Absolutely true. However, cold reading applies to all facets of social life. In restaurants you are simply using it a lot more often. 

    Sad to say you are correct about most servers not caring about you either.
     
    FiatLux4
    FiatLux4
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2014
    Posts: 704
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 2:50 PM ET #74

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    They don't claim every penny on their taxes but in the modern day it doesn't matter.

    I'll bet 90% of paying customers use a debit card and your tips are therefore documented so you better claim them.

    Fiat, can you confirm this?

    That's hilarious man. I responded to a different post before reading yours confirming exactly what you said.

    Indeed every penny is claimed for you and there is no choice in the matter. Back serving in the late 90's you pretty much claimed what ever you wanted and got away with murder. Not so anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by HutchEmAll:


    I don't have any experience with this, but my guess is the IRS has bigger fish to fry.  I'm not saying it's a free pass to fudge the numbers as far as tips go, but it would require a lot of work to track down someone who might be withholding a grand or so to the IRS through the course of the year.  Not sure that's time well spent. Then again, it is a government entity.  

    The IRS does do audits on restaurants for several reasons but the biggest one is for server claims. They go into everyone's file to see what they are making by the restaurant's numbers and match that up to your W-2. Restaurants absolutely have gone down from this and the staff goes with it. 

    The IRS isn't looking at the individuals, they want the company. In that regard, it is bigger fish to fry but not nearly to the level as the serious problems of the country.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    They don't claim every penny on their taxes but in the modern day it doesn't matter.

    I'll bet 90% of paying customers use a debit card and your tips are therefore documented so you better claim them.

    Fiat, can you confirm this?

    That's hilarious man. I responded to a different post before reading yours confirming exactly what you said.

    Indeed every penny is claimed for you and there is no choice in the matter. Back serving in the late 90's you pretty much claimed what ever you wanted and got away with murder. Not so anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by HutchEmAll:


    I don't have any experience with this, but my guess is the IRS has bigger fish to fry.  I'm not saying it's a free pass to fudge the numbers as far as tips go, but it would require a lot of work to track down someone who might be withholding a grand or so to the IRS through the course of the year.  Not sure that's time well spent. Then again, it is a government entity.  

    The IRS does do audits on restaurants for several reasons but the biggest one is for server claims. They go into everyone's file to see what they are making by the restaurant's numbers and match that up to your W-2. Restaurants absolutely have gone down from this and the staff goes with it. 

    The IRS isn't looking at the individuals, they want the company. In that regard, it is bigger fish to fry but not nearly to the level as the serious problems of the country.
     
     
    FiatLux4
    FiatLux4
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2014
    Posts: 704
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2014 - 3:00 PM ET #75

    CMJohnson excellent post  

    Running Mitch I have had all of that happen at one point or another. I totally get it. The 9 to 5 world just doesn't cut it for me either.

    Scal- Owners are penny pinchers. They want every dollar for themselves. No free beer, they wont even give it to at cost. And that's if your place even let's you drink there after work. Most don't because of the portrayal it presents. 

    "Free Beer......Tomorrow" was the name of our bowling team one season because of the true illusion that it is.
    Reply
    CMJohnson excellent post  

    Running Mitch I have had all of that happen at one point or another. I totally get it. The 9 to 5 world just doesn't cut it for me either.

    Scal- Owners are penny pinchers. They want every dollar for themselves. No free beer, they wont even give it to at cost. And that's if your place even let's you drink there after work. Most don't because of the portrayal it presents. 

    "Free Beer......Tomorrow" was the name of our bowling team one season because of the true illusion that it is.
    All Forums | General Discussion
    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 450,542
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,179
    • Rams vs Broncos in game live SNF 2,731
    • Monday 09/28/2026 658
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 102,018
    • HELP PLEASE 1,609
    • PART DEUX 233
    • Mike Trout Strikeouts 7,145
    • Another BS PI 953
    • King of Covers Winner List 12,244

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.