New and improved forum search options. Check it out!

Couple for the protest risk file

Participants:
Views: 331

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #1

Entire last thread I put up was deleted so maybe covers can explain that one to us ... Anyway...

W.Virginia DC Vic Koenning - on leave for getting called out on twitter for conduct in dealing with at least one player and wasn't one issue but tweet after tweet... looks highly toxic and don't think they'll be hugging it out Gundy style to solve this one ... Koenning was DC during that awesome Troy D which abruptly ended when he left... WV O scored 22 fewer points in conf play LY and very well could have lost every game last year without the D getting it's act together down the stretch.. 

Miss St. RB Kaylin Hill - Says he won't be playing unless the state flag is changed... You can imagine how that could spiral into a team situation or just end on its own since it doesn't seem to be directed at the team / school... also didn't say he won't practice or do team activities, etc... Hill is a superstar and probably the lone reason anyone would think of liking the Bulldogs this year and also note that all those Leach offenses always worked much better (or just worked at all) in the PAC with a credible run threat even when passing 80+++% of the time.... The Pirate could be in a much worse way if Hill goes ahead and makes good on his word.  

Liberty - 2 projected starting DB's and backup LB enter the transfer portal citing racial insensitivity among the admin higher ups.. Liberty's O was totally gutted after last year's great season and were gunna need to rely on that D much more this year. 9 total players had entered the xfer portal since June 1 return to campus.. WOOF!!!!

Quote Post Report User

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #2

It was me Bridge that caused your thread to be deleted and I apologize to you . Went too political. Won't happen again in the College Football Forum by me!

Muhammad Ali Jr a brave man

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #3

Michigan football currently has no african-american players demands for statues removed, buildings removed, coaches fired, etc.

Only 2 athletes out of 221 tested for COVID have tested positive, not sure what sport? Looks pretty good here.

Muhammad Ali Jr a brave man

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #4

Sup Uniman... no need to jump on the grenade buddy, it wasn't you ... Endless filth that's actually been directed at folks on the forum has gotten a pass for years and years, nothing you said was delete worthy ... but let's pretend for a moment it was so risky it might have sparked 'further commentary'.... maybe just remove the post?... I suspect the hall monitor's case log isin't so overwhelming they gotta break out the delete all button... 

Yeah keep it coming on the state of affairs with Michigan, they're sittin way under the radar after being a huge wallet drainer for the last 10 years or so, like 46% ATS overall and 40% on roadies ahhh ...  They finally might have broken out of the 'this is the year!!!' perception with Wisco, OSU, Minny, Penn St getting tons of fan fare this year .... Mich had way too many busted pass plays LY w Patterson comp only 56% and that was with all those receivers ... eek .... They got a good group at RB/WR coming back, really need McCaffrey is mobile / accurate and all the OL gutted / bad ret-production numbers won't matter much ... Quietly putting a solid summer program together while others toil is a great sign for them.. - good luck buddy!

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge1:

Entire last thread I put up was deleted so maybe covers can explain that one to us ... Anyway... W.Virginia DC Vic Koenning - on leave for getting called out on twitter for conduct in dealing with at least one player and wasn't one issue but tweet after tweet... looks highly toxic and don't think they'll be hugging it out Gundy style to solve this one ... Koenning was DC during that awesome Troy D which abruptly ended when he left... WV O scored 22 fewer points in conf play LY and very well could have lost every game last year without the D getting it's act together down the stretch..  Miss St. RB Kaylin Hill - Says he won't be playing unless the state flag is changed... You can imagine how that could spiral into a team situation or just end on its own since it doesn't seem to be directed at the team / school... also didn't say he won't practice or do team activities, etc... Hill is a superstar and probably the lone reason anyone would think of liking the Bulldogs this year and also note that all those Leach offenses always worked much better (or just worked at all) in the PAC with a credible run threat even when passing 80+++% of the time.... The Pirate could be in a much worse way if Hill goes ahead and makes good on his word.   Liberty - 2 projected starting DB's and backup LB enter the transfer portal citing racial insensitivity among the admin higher ups.. Liberty's O was totally gutted after last year's great season and were gunna need to rely on that D much more this year. 9 total players had entered the xfer portal since June 1 return to campus.. WOOF!!!!

This concerns me somewhat. I hope Coordinators and Coaches will have the ability

going forward to teach players the details of the game and coach them up without

having to say Please or Thank you to them for fear of being " Tweeted " about or

suspended for trying to get a players attention. I hope this is not a trend.

Good stuff , Bridge  peace_5

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #6

Sup Wise... Yeah I think it's unfortunately more than a trend, maybe just one for the current climate.... In every case the player gets showered with attention, approval, sports media fawnings, an online presence, etc... It's not that there aren't plenty of avenues through the team and diversity offices at every school to escalate the issues we're hearing about so seems like the rewards reinforce going nuclear and catching everyone off guard...

Maybe the change agent is if we see a few toxic locker rooms spiral and implode expectations and players start making the obvious link .. At some point you might get a few captains telling the team ahead of time that if you got a problem we deal with together internally on or not at all... Don't even think of going off and making a name for yourself and F'ing up my senior year getting my coach fired a month or two before the year ... We're a long way off from that since the captains are the one's airing out most of the laundry ...

Good luck buddy

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #7

peace_5 Thanks for the kind words Bridge! 

Wisconsin reports just 2 of 117 athletes tested as positive.

Michigan State reports 1 out of 124 as positive.

Penn St has a phased return plan. Some athletes returned on June 8, phase two was Monday where more athletes and coaches returned. No word on testing.

Nothing from Ohio State. 

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #8

Illinois following Ohio State's lead. Players signed waivers and they will not report who has returned for training and any numbers of positive tests.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #9

Iowa reports 1 positive among 237 tested athletes.

Indiana reports 0 positives among 187 athletes and coaches tested.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #10

Northwestern using a phased return approach like Penn st, no numbers reported.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #11

Sup Wise... Yeah I think it's unfortunately more than a trend, maybe just one for the current climate.... In every case the player gets showered with attention, approval, sports media fawnings, an online presence, etc... It's not that there aren't plenty of avenues through the team and diversity offices at every school to escalate the issues we're hearing about so seems like the rewards reinforce going nuclear and catching everyone off guard... Maybe the change agent is if we see a few toxic locker rooms spiral and implode expectations and players start making the obvious link .. At some point you might get a few captains telling the team ahead of time that if you got a problem we deal with together internally on or not at all... Don't even think of going off and making a name for yourself and F'ing up my senior year getting my coach fired a month or two before the year ... We're a long way off from that since the captains are the one's airing out most of the laundry ...   Good luck buddy

I agree bud , Seniors and those who intend to declare early have a lot to

lose with one or two bad apples in their locker rooms. Scary to think that

a few tweets can get a Coordinator or Coach " bounced " this close to Fall

camp starting. I hope that team leadership will step up and handle this

stuff in the locker room or behind closed doors rather than thru the media.

peace_5

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #12

As far as Big10 issues, I only see Iowa with their strength and conditioning coach losing his job, seems quite everywhere else, for now.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #13

Sup Uniman... no need to jump on the grenade buddy, it wasn't you ... Endless filth that's actually been directed at folks on the forum has gotten a pass for years and years, nothing you said was delete worthy ... but let's pretend for a moment it was so risky it might have sparked 'further commentary'.... maybe just remove the post?... I suspect the hall monitor's case log isin't so overwhelming they gotta break out the delete all button...  Yeah keep it coming on the state of affairs with Michigan, they're sittin way under the radar after being a huge wallet drainer for the last 10 years or so, like 46% ATS overall and 40% on roadies ahhh ...  They finally might have broken out of the 'this is the year!!!' perception with Wisco, OSU, Minny, Penn St getting tons of fan fare this year .... Mich had way too many busted pass plays LY w Patterson comp only 56% and that was with all those receivers ... eek .... They got a good group at RB/WR coming back, really need McCaffrey is mobile / accurate and all the OL gutted / bad ret-production numbers won't matter much ... Quietly putting a solid summer program together while others toil is a great sign for them.. - good luck buddy!

Very good point here! Michigan has been overhyped last few years, could be the year books go soft on them. The offensive line is wait and see if replacements are any good then maybe. Running back position looks the best it has been in years. 

Ohio State looks to be focused too.

I see Michigan State as hitting rock bottom in 2020.

Captain
Participation Meter
Posted: #14

Eventually the pendulum will swing back to some degree of rationality...and reasonableness for both coaches and players.  The deal with Gundy was not just the shirt that he was wearing...It was his persona, his arrogance, and his gross lack of judgement that alienated is African American players.   I bet that was a long time coming...Right or wrong, head coaches and their relatively high paid assistants are no longer just coaches, especially at the Power 5 Programs.   The HC is a quasi CEO, and the assistant coaches are the executive VPs.   They must conduct themselves accordingly, with professionalism, since they represent their University.   In a social media world, with a 24 7 news cycle, these public figure quasi executives must be diligent and focussed on maintaining a high level of integrity and character in demeanor on and off the field, along with their elite coaching technical and motivational prowess.    Those who carry themselves accordingly, for example like Nick Saban or Mack Brown or Chris Petersen or others that fit that mode, will continue to excel.   Those who rebel against that high standard of excellence and professionalism, should probably find a new profession.   The era of the good ole boy coach has come to an end...from my perspective, good riddance...

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #15

Yeah Uni agree on MSU I mean talk about a cascading avalanche for them ....  I've seen a preview with them winning 4 games this year ahhh... ATS wise just keeping in mind that they way wayyy wayyyyy under performed last year and expectations are maybe just slightly out of the toilet water above Ill, Rut and Md ... wouldn't take much to surprise although I don't think it's happening this year for them....

The one I think actually might surprise in the BIG is Northwestern...  like MSU the rep is deeeep in the toilet but this could be one of the better all around teams they've had and at 5.5 RSW I see 4 strong wins and 4 to 5 that could go either way.... 22-1 to win the Big10 West will cost me a few bucks.. lol 

Not that I'd take an RSW on anyone right now but good way to size up the expectations ... couple more that might flip the switch this year...

Houston 5.5 RSW / AAC 28-1 - I see 5 wins for sure and 3 maybe 4 close ones... Holgersen didn't blow up last season to miss a bowl this year...

Army 6.5 RSW - 2 FCS plus Mass, Conn, E.Mich are 5 likely wins ... I count 4 to 5 toss up games after that....  New D-coordinator Nate Woody is a great pickup and they brought in a few other former App State coaches ... The new QB can actually pass so hope they explore that this year ... Credible pass threat is a huge weapon, see AF last year only hit 50%.... but 13 yards per attempt was tops in CFB last year ... So avg 25 yard pass 50% of their throws lol... lotta booms.... 

Oregon St... a little steep at 5.5 RSW and O looks gutted but they got a QB in the wings Tristan Gebbia and really like what I saw from him off the bench civil war roadie last year... couple portal xfers (eligibility pending) might help with some holes on O....but virtually all the D back which was sneaky at times last year ... Any surprise / underrated PAC team should do well in the ATS department... OSU one of the better teams to miss a bowl LY... 

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #16

I see Northwestern winning 7-8 games this year, if all things remain same. "All things" meaning the virus and our country's volatile emotions.

Nice way to put it.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #17

Agree that NW will be improved, but even when they have been pretty good, they've never been able to run the ball....new o-coordinator this year, which was overdue.  Liking them as a dog to Michigan State early, who they always seem to beat in crazy games when Dantonio was coaching.

Gophers' games there will be hellacious amounts of points scored...they will miss Winfield a ton, who was superman for them.  I think they overcome that and win the BIGW.  Fleck is the next superstar in the college coaching ranks and to get him to stay, you offer him the job of governor  to keep him there if you have to.

Feel this will be a show-me season for the Buckeyes, one year out from Urban leaving...sometimes teams continue on when their superstar coach leaves, but if there are deficiencies they show up season 2 of the new guy's reign.  Obviously they are elite recruiters at Ohio State, so we'll see.

Don't see Illinois doing anything as I think they struck lightning in a bottle last year and will go back to what they normally, which is bottom of the barrel.

Nebraska?....u gotta show me something.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #18

Getting back on topic here... 

Kansas State - Woahhhh Nellie... Entire team tweeted the same message.... paraphrasing here.... 'we won't practice, meet, play, until school policy in place to expel students for openly racist / threatening / disrespectful actions toward a student or group', etc. This comes in the wake of a student tweeting a joke about george ... The tweeter is in a campus political group so it made hay across the social sphere rather quickly and protest / boycott is beyond just the football team with numerous athletes echoing similar statements...

It should be noted the whole team was dropped in a two week quarantine the other day after a bunch came back with covid and weren't going to practice, meet or play for a while anyway.... I'd bet the school will deliver on some kinda policy but one that fits their script would be extremely vague other than maybe the threatening part which I'm guessing already exists ... the joke tweet wasn't threatening in any legal sense or even directed at a student or student group and was from his personal twitter acct...

I think it's clear the demands won't be satisfied if the student isn't expelled and normally I would give the student pretty good odds to prevail but wouldn't surprise if K-State's Admin made a calculated move given the posture they're taking... Admin official statements calling his tweet racist paints them in a corner where no action and you must condone racism, etc and I'd say likely they make good if he's still there..... But even if they appease, the team is on a downward trajectory this year with a lot of young players expecting to see action. Couple very possible losses early vs Buffalo and NDSU and we might see quite a few folks boycott (redshirt) because not 'enough' was done, etc...  

Protest risk level 9,999,999,999

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #19

I found that "joke" to be in very bad taste. Some people are just flat out jerks. I still believe in free speech. 

If it was my kid I'd slap him silly and then get arrested for it. 

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #20

Getting back on topic here...  Kansas State - Woahhhh Nellie... Entire team tweeted the same message.... paraphrasing here.... 'we won't practice, meet, play, until school policy in place to expel students for openly racist / threatening / disrespectful actions toward a student or group', etc. This comes in the wake of a student tweeting a joke about george ... The tweeter is in a campus political group so it made hay across the social sphere rather quickly and protest / boycott is beyond just the football team with numerous athletes echoing similar statements... It should be noted the whole team was dropped in a two week quarantine the other day after a bunch came back with covid and weren't going to practice, meet or play for a while anyway.... I'd bet the school will deliver on some kinda policy but one that fits their script would be extremely vague other than maybe the threatening part which I'm guessing already exists ... the joke tweet wasn't threatening in any legal sense or even directed at a student or student group and was from his personal twitter acct... I think it's clear the demands won't be satisfied if the student isn't expelled and normally I would give the student pretty good odds to prevail but wouldn't surprise if K-State's Admin made a calculated move given the posture they're taking... Admin official statements calling his tweet racist paints them in a corner where no action and you must condone racism, etc and I'd say likely they make good if he's still there..... But even if they appease, the team is on a downward trajectory this year with a lot of young players expecting to see action. Couple very possible losses early vs Buffalo and NDSU and we might see quite a few folks boycott (redshirt) because not 'enough' was done, etc...   Protest risk level 9,999,999,999

Bridge , If you think protest risk is high now .................

Wait until these guys start getting ' Paid " for their services  an_roll_laugh

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #21

Yeah Uni that joke was what it was ... just one of a bajillion insensitive internet comments ... but talk about promoting your enemy from nobodyness to fame and infamy in exchange for I'd say rather long odds for any kinda truly face saving victory here .... Could get interesting when the team gets outta their quarantine...  

Wise - That's when the big buck$ start rollin in!!! You almost want to see them hurry up and test that out this season just so when they see the top 1% cashin 100% of the checks we can end that debate for good .... 

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #22

Oregon and Oregon State will no longer call their rivalry The Civil War. 

Never in reference to the American Civil War.

Good Grief!!

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #23

Yeah Uni that joke was what it was ... just one of a bajillion insensitive internet comments ... but talk about promoting your enemy from nobodyness to fame and infamy in exchange for I'd say rather long odds for any kinda truly face saving victory here .... Could get interesting when the team gets outta their quarantine...     Wise - That's when the big buck$ start rollin in!!! You almost want to see them hurry up and test that out this season just so when they see the top 1% cashin 100% of the checks we can end that debate for good ....

Bingo !!!!!! That's when I " Retire " from betting College Football , Bud 

Bridge , peace_5

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #24

Bridge , One thing we don't know right now , is how much worse the spread of

this virus can get before it peaks and just what that timing is likely to be.

It may be that players may want to "sit out " right now for their own long

term safety and are willing to convey those concerns to School officials.

Some players in Pro sports are expressing those concerns right now and

are expressing a desire to not risk their their health over their desire to

play , and forgo their salary to make this point.

Player safety may turn their protests in an entirely new direction as schools

will tend to lose a lot of revenue if this season is cancelled or postponed,

and players deem that the risk they take should be "worth something " .

Fall Camps will be opening shortly. We will see just where this goes.

peace_5

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #25

Good point wise, yeah the corona makes everything very unpredictable ... I saw UCLA had a sortof protest letter basically saying they didn't trust how the school was going to handle it .. That made some ESPN highlight reels but not much else... I think in general players really do want to play and are consciously accepting the risk for now.. but if we get a corona eruption on a team of already frustrated players it seems a pretty easy excuse to pile on the many others including any floyd situations ..... especially if they can tack on 'SEE .. WE TOLDJA!!!!' right as they transfer outta there with all the eligibility and medical redshirts they can handle, etc etc etc .....

UPDATE: K-State boycott is over!!! .... I mentioned above there didn't seem to be too many face saving endings for the boycotters in this one and ending was much quieter than the beginning to say the least ..... K-State knew it would be illegal to expel the kid over a joke but did what they could with a policy even though it wouldn't have addressed this case anyway... they did throw in some diversity initiatives for good measure ... A quick announcement that it was over right before their covid quarantine was up seems like a rational move...

Get the best sports betting information delivered straight to your inbox for free.
Covers 25 Years Logo Established in 1995,
Covers is the world
leader in sports
betting information.
Covers is verified safe by: Evalon Logo GDPR Logo Evalon Logo Evalon Logo