I think the NBA has turned into the old Negro leagues in baseball (74% Black). American ratings are at the bottom of the well...but as long as they get Red Chinese money and viewership, they will be fine.
To make the game of basketball a skill sport, the basket needs to be raised up at least a foot (I would raise it 1 1/2 feet)...the creators of the game obviously didn't realize that the human race would start spawning 7 footers.
Here is a list of why I dislike the NBA (even though I bet on it)
1. Too many 3 point bricks. Not everyone is Steph Curry.
2. Real lack of skills. Nobody knows how to play defense. When I was a kid learning the game we never crossed our legs over on defense. You slid your feet side to side.
3. Most players take a warm up free throw before they make the 2nd. How does a guy like Westbrook hit only 67%. ZERO EXCUSE FOR THAT.
4. Poor babies. You never know when these over payed cry babies need a day of rest. If I asked my boss for a day of rest I'd be out of a job.
5. On the same note. How many times do I have to wait until tip off to find out who's playing and who's resting?
6. Spot up before you shoot. I laugh my ass off watching guys take a jump shot. They don't square up to the basket.
7. Slam dunk the ball. I can't believe how many times I watch these guys who can jump and touch the top of the backboard miss a layup. DUNK IT.
8. Who needs a coach. Do these guys even get their players to play to their game plan? NBA changed when Magic Johnson decided who he wanted as coach so he could run the team the way he wanted to.
9. Last on my list. When did players become GM's? Thanks to LBJ, Wade, and Bosh your team may never have a chance to win a title.
Well enjoy the worst sports product on the planet. Some days I'd rather watch Lacrosse.
A curmudgeon, like me. I love it. I agree with everything you say and will add this:
The three point shot has ruined the game!! As much as I love Steph, and marvel at what he has done to transform the game and how it is played, I don’t actually like the “new” game. It is boring, because it’s all the same. Everything is geared to get somebody an open 3. Where are the hook shots, the fade aways, the bank shot, the mid-range game, the floaters, the finger rolls, the thunderous dunks? Where are all the patented, signature moves players used to have? All gone. Poof. Just like that. All the artistry is gone. And everything inside the 3 point line doesn’t even matter anymore. All that wasted space.Instead we have a glorified 3 point shooting contest each night, where teams take turns jacking it up, because of Curry’s influence and analytics, which tell you you are better off shooting open 3’s than going for 2!