• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    General Thoughts on Gambling

    «First Previous 123 Next Last»
    Cooler999
    phillies73
    ColoradoSlim
    TheBuddah
    Rush51
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3850
    Posts: 54
    «First Previous 123 Next Last»
     
    Cooler999
    Cooler999
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 22240
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 4:59 PM ET #26

    Quote Originally Posted by PepeFrog:

    Anyone new to sports betting should bet less than $10 per bet. You can have fun gambling while at the same time not losing your life savings.

     

     I wish I could do that.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by PepeFrog:

    Anyone new to sports betting should bet less than $10 per bet. You can have fun gambling while at the same time not losing your life savings.

     

     I wish I could do that.

     
    phillies73
    phillies73
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2023
    Posts: 1780
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 5:30 PM ET #27

    @TxG31

    i  have always gambled off and on in my life and i was addicted to drugs about 10 years ago. and i honestly thing gambling might be worse

    Reply

    @TxG31

    i  have always gambled off and on in my life and i was addicted to drugs about 10 years ago. and i honestly thing gambling might be worse

     
    phillies73
    phillies73
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2023
    Posts: 1780
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 5:35 PM ET #28

    @Cooler999

     me too. i would have a 10-20 more thousand in the last 3 years if i bet 10 a game

    Reply

    @Cooler999

     me too. i would have a 10-20 more thousand in the last 3 years if i bet 10 a game

     
    ColoradoSlim
    ColoradoSlim
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2016
    Posts: 188
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 8:35 PM ET #29

    @TxG31

     I used to agree with your sentiment on "fading the public" because Vegas needs a certain side.  But these days I don't feel that's the case.  Are there times to fade the public and bet with Vegas?  Absolutely.  Are there times to ride the public and bet against Vegas?  Absolutely.  I don't think Vegas cares on a certain particular game because they know they will eventually get it back.  Especially if the public does win, because they will just re-bet those winnings!  A great example is what just happened this Thanksgiving with Dallas and Miami.  Dallas was a very public play especially with their insane ATS record at home this year.  What happened?  Dallas crushed and Vegas lost (that game).  Same thing today with Miami being a very public play w/ the Jets abysmal offense and new QB.  What happened?  Miami crushed and Vegas lost (that game).  

    I do agree with Vanzack, though.  There are systems that show profit in the long run, but the keys to success are:

    1) Staying consistent and within the system and handling the losses.  Even if said system loses 10 in a row you have to maintain the same betting system with the same unit sizes.  Most fail because they chase and can't handle the "loss."

    2) Having discipline to only bet said system and not crave "action."

    Vanzack is keeping it real here.  Leave emotions at the door and stay calculated as well as methodical.  If not, it's in your best interest to assimilate that this is only for entertainment value and "hobby."  Some collect Air Jordans and some gamble.  It's as simple as that.  There are just too many variables, unknowns, and chance to win just blindly turning on games and throwing darts.  I'll give you an example of what just occurred with me....

    I threw $100 on Duke to win the 2nd half (ATS, by 16) versus Southern Indiana to have some fun.  My old lady is Black Friday shopping and I'm finally alone after a busy holiday (and no betting).  SoIn kept it within 11 to 13 the entire final 9 of 10 minutes.  Sure enough it gets to 15 with < 1min to go and the refs call a foul for Duke (and luckily he gets the and-1 so I'm covering by 1 now).  There was 40 seconds left and Duke did NOT have to even run a play.  But they did and he hits the and-1 to put me covering by 2.  They could have ran out a shot clock violation and I guaranteed lose.  SoIn still has 11 seconds to crush my play with a 3 or shoot a uncontested (more than likely) layup to push my bet.  But what happens?  They are the ones who run out the clock without attempting a shot.

    I tell you that story to say this.....

    Even when you think you have shit figured out you can't control the "unknowns."  Bet for fun, or put in serious work to try to "beat the books."  Picking wins is easy.  Vegas wins because people can't control their emotions.

    Best of luck and take care bro.

    Reply

    @TxG31

     I used to agree with your sentiment on "fading the public" because Vegas needs a certain side.  But these days I don't feel that's the case.  Are there times to fade the public and bet with Vegas?  Absolutely.  Are there times to ride the public and bet against Vegas?  Absolutely.  I don't think Vegas cares on a certain particular game because they know they will eventually get it back.  Especially if the public does win, because they will just re-bet those winnings!  A great example is what just happened this Thanksgiving with Dallas and Miami.  Dallas was a very public play especially with their insane ATS record at home this year.  What happened?  Dallas crushed and Vegas lost (that game).  Same thing today with Miami being a very public play w/ the Jets abysmal offense and new QB.  What happened?  Miami crushed and Vegas lost (that game).  

    I do agree with Vanzack, though.  There are systems that show profit in the long run, but the keys to success are:

    1) Staying consistent and within the system and handling the losses.  Even if said system loses 10 in a row you have to maintain the same betting system with the same unit sizes.  Most fail because they chase and can't handle the "loss."

    2) Having discipline to only bet said system and not crave "action."

    Vanzack is keeping it real here.  Leave emotions at the door and stay calculated as well as methodical.  If not, it's in your best interest to assimilate that this is only for entertainment value and "hobby."  Some collect Air Jordans and some gamble.  It's as simple as that.  There are just too many variables, unknowns, and chance to win just blindly turning on games and throwing darts.  I'll give you an example of what just occurred with me....

    I threw $100 on Duke to win the 2nd half (ATS, by 16) versus Southern Indiana to have some fun.  My old lady is Black Friday shopping and I'm finally alone after a busy holiday (and no betting).  SoIn kept it within 11 to 13 the entire final 9 of 10 minutes.  Sure enough it gets to 15 with < 1min to go and the refs call a foul for Duke (and luckily he gets the and-1 so I'm covering by 1 now).  There was 40 seconds left and Duke did NOT have to even run a play.  But they did and he hits the and-1 to put me covering by 2.  They could have ran out a shot clock violation and I guaranteed lose.  SoIn still has 11 seconds to crush my play with a 3 or shoot a uncontested (more than likely) layup to push my bet.  But what happens?  They are the ones who run out the clock without attempting a shot.

    I tell you that story to say this.....

    Even when you think you have shit figured out you can't control the "unknowns."  Bet for fun, or put in serious work to try to "beat the books."  Picking wins is easy.  Vegas wins because people can't control their emotions.

    Best of luck and take care bro.

     
    phillies73
    phillies73
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2023
    Posts: 1780
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 8:55 PM ET #30

    i excluded my self from all online and casino gambling about april 2022. anyone can do it. but most people love gambling to much to do it. i was actually doing pretty good at the end but i knew i was getting way too out of control and had to stop one way or another or my savings would gradually get less and less. it is probably the best thing i ever did. because i was betting games everyday. i 100% saved myself money. allthough i still gamble it is just on weekends when i go to atlantic city. usually borgota because they always give me 2 free $25 blackjack bets. so i use that while i put in my nfl bets

    Reply

    i excluded my self from all online and casino gambling about april 2022. anyone can do it. but most people love gambling to much to do it. i was actually doing pretty good at the end but i knew i was getting way too out of control and had to stop one way or another or my savings would gradually get less and less. it is probably the best thing i ever did. because i was betting games everyday. i 100% saved myself money. allthough i still gamble it is just on weekends when i go to atlantic city. usually borgota because they always give me 2 free $25 blackjack bets. so i use that while i put in my nfl bets

     
    TheBuddah
    TheBuddah
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2009
    Posts: 4174
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 10:48 PM ET #31

    Quote Originally Posted by TxG31:

    I have been an unregistered user of this site off and on for 20 years plus. Lots of highs and lows through these years. As I'm getting older, to me gambling has become more of a hobby (expensive one), but one I am willing to pay for as it's one of the few activities in life I look forward to. One thing I am starting to notice (but has always been there) and would like some feedback on is this obsession with what side the money is on and how that is so important to know. If you know this info you can't lose cause vegas doesn't lose right? Well my thoughts on this have become IT DOESN'T MATTER, Vegas can give two sh*ts about any one single game, they are there for the long run and if u win 1 million dollars cause they made a "mistake" they are only gonna get it back tenfold over the course of your lifetime. Some of the biggest gamblers I know all won big their first time gambling, and guess what...you already know what happened. Please let me know if my thought process makes sense here or if it's just my personal experience.It just seems to me like the gambling industry is fueled by addiction and that fact alone makes any one game or any one bet irrelevant. No one or very few will win big and walk away for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxG31:

    I have been an unregistered user of this site off and on for 20 years plus. Lots of highs and lows through these years. As I'm getting older, to me gambling has become more of a hobby (expensive one), but one I am willing to pay for as it's one of the few activities in life I look forward to. One thing I am starting to notice (but has always been there) and would like some feedback on is this obsession with what side the money is on and how that is so important to know. If you know this info you can't lose cause vegas doesn't lose right? Well my thoughts on this have become IT DOESN'T MATTER, Vegas can give two sh*ts about any one single game, they are there for the long run and if u win 1 million dollars cause they made a "mistake" they are only gonna get it back tenfold over the course of your lifetime. Some of the biggest gamblers I know all won big their first time gambling, and guess what...you already know what happened. Please let me know if my thought process makes sense here or if it's just my personal experience.It just seems to me like the gambling industry is fueled by addiction and that fact alone makes any one game or any one bet irrelevant. No one or very few will win big and walk away for good.

     

    I’m 58, when I was in college 1983-87, i believed, that was what I needed to do- be on the same side as Vegas or opposite side of the public.    Watched the line if it went from 3 to 2.5 I was on the fav.   It went from 3 to 3.5 - taking the dog.   In that time period it worked great made a lot of dollars for my age during that period.  The problem I became obsessed with that thinking, moved to Ny in 1988, kept thinking that and lost my ass .   I learned after that terrible year there had to be a better way .   The problem there wasn’t the internet and accessible data that I was aware of .  Not until the data became available and my thinking changed did I become somewhat successful .   It’s tough stuff and I put time into it as it is a hobby and passion.  I don’t bet crazy anymore, just love analyzing this stuff .    The money is just a way to keep score.  Bol to ya 

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by TxG31:

    I have been an unregistered user of this site off and on for 20 years plus. Lots of highs and lows through these years. As I'm getting older, to me gambling has become more of a hobby (expensive one), but one I am willing to pay for as it's one of the few activities in life I look forward to. One thing I am starting to notice (but has always been there) and would like some feedback on is this obsession with what side the money is on and how that is so important to know. If you know this info you can't lose cause vegas doesn't lose right? Well my thoughts on this have become IT DOESN'T MATTER, Vegas can give two sh*ts about any one single game, they are there for the long run and if u win 1 million dollars cause they made a "mistake" they are only gonna get it back tenfold over the course of your lifetime. Some of the biggest gamblers I know all won big their first time gambling, and guess what...you already know what happened. Please let me know if my thought process makes sense here or if it's just my personal experience.It just seems to me like the gambling industry is fueled by addiction and that fact alone makes any one game or any one bet irrelevant. No one or very few will win big and walk away for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxG31:

    I have been an unregistered user of this site off and on for 20 years plus. Lots of highs and lows through these years. As I'm getting older, to me gambling has become more of a hobby (expensive one), but one I am willing to pay for as it's one of the few activities in life I look forward to. One thing I am starting to notice (but has always been there) and would like some feedback on is this obsession with what side the money is on and how that is so important to know. If you know this info you can't lose cause vegas doesn't lose right? Well my thoughts on this have become IT DOESN'T MATTER, Vegas can give two sh*ts about any one single game, they are there for the long run and if u win 1 million dollars cause they made a "mistake" they are only gonna get it back tenfold over the course of your lifetime. Some of the biggest gamblers I know all won big their first time gambling, and guess what...you already know what happened. Please let me know if my thought process makes sense here or if it's just my personal experience.It just seems to me like the gambling industry is fueled by addiction and that fact alone makes any one game or any one bet irrelevant. No one or very few will win big and walk away for good.

     

    I’m 58, when I was in college 1983-87, i believed, that was what I needed to do- be on the same side as Vegas or opposite side of the public.    Watched the line if it went from 3 to 2.5 I was on the fav.   It went from 3 to 3.5 - taking the dog.   In that time period it worked great made a lot of dollars for my age during that period.  The problem I became obsessed with that thinking, moved to Ny in 1988, kept thinking that and lost my ass .   I learned after that terrible year there had to be a better way .   The problem there wasn’t the internet and accessible data that I was aware of .  Not until the data became available and my thinking changed did I become somewhat successful .   It’s tough stuff and I put time into it as it is a hobby and passion.  I don’t bet crazy anymore, just love analyzing this stuff .    The money is just a way to keep score.  Bol to ya 

     
    TheBuddah
    TheBuddah
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2009
    Posts: 4174
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 11:14 PM ET #32

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Well thought out and written responses.  This comes up from time to time here, and I always like reading these threads. Another perspective... Sports gambling is difficult, but everyone wants it to be easy.  That might be the simplest way to describe why so many lose and so few win.  For me - about 25 years ago I made a decision that if I wanted to keep sports gambling, I didnt want to lose anymore.  So I put in a ton of work.  I figured some stuff out.  I studied (literally took college courses on stats, game theory, and probability).  I put in the hours, hundreds and thousands of them. I took the emotion out also.  This is a key.  It is really hard to be successful long term with emotions. I have been able to make a career out of this and do very well.  But only because of the discipline.  And a few other ingredients in the soup.... 1.  I have made handicapping far less important than what it is to the average sports bettor.  I do this by increasing consistency, and decreasing standard deviations.  Someone recently posted in one of my threads (as an insult) that I am "good, but not great".  That is a huge compliment for me.  I want to be reliably and consistently good for a long period of time.  That is enough. 2.  Multiple streams of gambling income.  Covers format really only allows picks.  But for me - I buy and sell lines all week - very often resulting in games where I have zero risk and lots of upside.  But either way, this is a huge income stream.  It takes a lot of work.  I stare at screens all day.  I work to have dozens of outs at every sports book.  3.  Reliable OBJECTIVE models.  Forget how you feel.  You need some kind of stats model that works predicting some kind of results.   4.  Zero emotions making decisions.  Treat it like a business.  Treat everything like a process.  Consistency. 5.  For me - I only do this for about 8 months a year.  That has proven to be great for me.  I get time to recharge, learn new things, improve my process. This has resulted in a life where I havent had a real job, and a life that has long periods of vacations.  It also has downsides.  Many.  But overall - it has been great for me and my family.  I would have never been this successful in a real job in the real world, so I am thankful.  It also has resulted in an infinite bankroll.  I realize how that sounds - but I literally do not have a bankroll anymore.  The amount I need to bet to reach my goals is way lower than what my bankroll would be - so I dont even worry about it anymore. Put the work in.  Find your own slice of the pie that can be replicated.  It aint about picks.  Picks dont mean much.  You need process.  Replicable process. So instead of looking at it as "winners" and "losers", I look at it as people who want to win and people who want to have a hobby or have fun.  If you want to win - you have to wash your brain of all of these bad habits like actually caring about what the OP wrote about bet percentages (they mean absolutely ZERO).  Wash yourself of the noise.  You have to commit to learning, and finding a process. Everyone will read this and think this is them.  It is not.  It is not for you.  You dont do this currently - no matter how much you think you do.  You have no idea what this takes.  But it is possible. Continued GL to all.


    Excellent read and continued success !!!!

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Well thought out and written responses.  This comes up from time to time here, and I always like reading these threads. Another perspective... Sports gambling is difficult, but everyone wants it to be easy.  That might be the simplest way to describe why so many lose and so few win.  For me - about 25 years ago I made a decision that if I wanted to keep sports gambling, I didnt want to lose anymore.  So I put in a ton of work.  I figured some stuff out.  I studied (literally took college courses on stats, game theory, and probability).  I put in the hours, hundreds and thousands of them. I took the emotion out also.  This is a key.  It is really hard to be successful long term with emotions. I have been able to make a career out of this and do very well.  But only because of the discipline.  And a few other ingredients in the soup.... 1.  I have made handicapping far less important than what it is to the average sports bettor.  I do this by increasing consistency, and decreasing standard deviations.  Someone recently posted in one of my threads (as an insult) that I am "good, but not great".  That is a huge compliment for me.  I want to be reliably and consistently good for a long period of time.  That is enough. 2.  Multiple streams of gambling income.  Covers format really only allows picks.  But for me - I buy and sell lines all week - very often resulting in games where I have zero risk and lots of upside.  But either way, this is a huge income stream.  It takes a lot of work.  I stare at screens all day.  I work to have dozens of outs at every sports book.  3.  Reliable OBJECTIVE models.  Forget how you feel.  You need some kind of stats model that works predicting some kind of results.   4.  Zero emotions making decisions.  Treat it like a business.  Treat everything like a process.  Consistency. 5.  For me - I only do this for about 8 months a year.  That has proven to be great for me.  I get time to recharge, learn new things, improve my process. This has resulted in a life where I havent had a real job, and a life that has long periods of vacations.  It also has downsides.  Many.  But overall - it has been great for me and my family.  I would have never been this successful in a real job in the real world, so I am thankful.  It also has resulted in an infinite bankroll.  I realize how that sounds - but I literally do not have a bankroll anymore.  The amount I need to bet to reach my goals is way lower than what my bankroll would be - so I dont even worry about it anymore. Put the work in.  Find your own slice of the pie that can be replicated.  It aint about picks.  Picks dont mean much.  You need process.  Replicable process. So instead of looking at it as "winners" and "losers", I look at it as people who want to win and people who want to have a hobby or have fun.  If you want to win - you have to wash your brain of all of these bad habits like actually caring about what the OP wrote about bet percentages (they mean absolutely ZERO).  Wash yourself of the noise.  You have to commit to learning, and finding a process. Everyone will read this and think this is them.  It is not.  It is not for you.  You dont do this currently - no matter how much you think you do.  You have no idea what this takes.  But it is possible. Continued GL to all.


    Excellent read and continued success !!!!

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Nov. 25, 2023 - 12:42 AM ET #33

    Quote Originally Posted by clark17:

    @vanzack  I agree with most of what you said the only thing i do not agree with is taking your gut our heart out of making a wager yes numbers do not  lie and in the long run they usually  will play out but a gamble is a gamble not much different from the stock market we all need luck to get ahead.  My biggest win in my life was 56 000 dollars on a proline ncaa football pool played all of 80 dollars invested drunk as a skunk and went 15-16 for 1 winner OLG lottery proline has to been 20 years now but i still talk about it in my local bar and yes i probably gave it all back and then some.

    You didn't pay much attention to what Van had to say. You "need" to take the emotions out of gambling.  This means not betting on your  homer NFL team, if you can't separate a bet made w your heart, and one made w your mind.

    And as a successful stock investor, I will tell you the success lies in a lot of the same things that Van applies to gambling.   Staying  unemotional to stock swings ( buying when everyone else is heading for the hills), being very disciplined,  etc.  It is "not" luck if you just follow some time tested approaches to investing in the stock market. 

    I will say this.  It is much easier being a successful stock investor than what Van is doing.   It's truly impressive. 

     

     

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by clark17:

    @vanzack  I agree with most of what you said the only thing i do not agree with is taking your gut our heart out of making a wager yes numbers do not  lie and in the long run they usually  will play out but a gamble is a gamble not much different from the stock market we all need luck to get ahead.  My biggest win in my life was 56 000 dollars on a proline ncaa football pool played all of 80 dollars invested drunk as a skunk and went 15-16 for 1 winner OLG lottery proline has to been 20 years now but i still talk about it in my local bar and yes i probably gave it all back and then some.

    You didn't pay much attention to what Van had to say. You "need" to take the emotions out of gambling.  This means not betting on your  homer NFL team, if you can't separate a bet made w your heart, and one made w your mind.

    And as a successful stock investor, I will tell you the success lies in a lot of the same things that Van applies to gambling.   Staying  unemotional to stock swings ( buying when everyone else is heading for the hills), being very disciplined,  etc.  It is "not" luck if you just follow some time tested approaches to investing in the stock market. 

    I will say this.  It is much easier being a successful stock investor than what Van is doing.   It's truly impressive. 

     

     

     
    frankbullitt
    frankbullitt
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2014
    Posts: 883
    Posted: Nov. 25, 2023 - 4:34 AM ET #34

    Here's my 2 cents! I started online betting in 2008. Prior to that I only gambled in Las Vegas every time I visited from Los Angeles. I'm 57 years old now. In 2018 with only $100 I wagered online and turned it into close to 10k. I repeated the feat in 2022 with only 100 and earned approximately $12k. This is not to impress you, but to impress upon you that profitable runs happen now and then, which made me believe I could consider it as a source of income. But this year it's been the "win and give back" syndrome. I have realized the only way to keep my sanity and my money in my pocket is bet smaller amounts and less plays per day or week. It is not easy but replacing betting with other meaningful activities and "fasting" like for weight management creates a healthier life for me at least. My other advice is stay away from paid betting services. I invested close to $5000 in a "picks package" back in 2008 when I was solicited by a guy named Mike from New York who enticed me with free picks then used big words and strategies on how we were going to make large amounts of money. Long story short, he eventually referred me to a Vegas contact named Mr. "C" who wanted an additional $10,000 from me and promised me a return of 22,000 -$25k with his guaranteed picks. That I said, "No." He then used manipulating language to try to work me to invest by saying "I've got clients that pay me up to $5000 per game for the information that makes them a lot of money."  I refused then Mike called me back and berated me over the phone about my refusal. (They get your number from a list after you've contacted other betting services). Long story longer: betting should be the extra financial reward for using intelligence to make an educated prediction. Every now and then I may pay for a pick if I think I need an edge but not to what I did before. Few and far between make a true living at this but I feel I've done well enough to nor control or ruin me financially or on my marriage. Be prepared, be alert, and be wise.

    Reply

    Here's my 2 cents! I started online betting in 2008. Prior to that I only gambled in Las Vegas every time I visited from Los Angeles. I'm 57 years old now. In 2018 with only $100 I wagered online and turned it into close to 10k. I repeated the feat in 2022 with only 100 and earned approximately $12k. This is not to impress you, but to impress upon you that profitable runs happen now and then, which made me believe I could consider it as a source of income. But this year it's been the "win and give back" syndrome. I have realized the only way to keep my sanity and my money in my pocket is bet smaller amounts and less plays per day or week. It is not easy but replacing betting with other meaningful activities and "fasting" like for weight management creates a healthier life for me at least. My other advice is stay away from paid betting services. I invested close to $5000 in a "picks package" back in 2008 when I was solicited by a guy named Mike from New York who enticed me with free picks then used big words and strategies on how we were going to make large amounts of money. Long story short, he eventually referred me to a Vegas contact named Mr. "C" who wanted an additional $10,000 from me and promised me a return of 22,000 -$25k with his guaranteed picks. That I said, "No." He then used manipulating language to try to work me to invest by saying "I've got clients that pay me up to $5000 per game for the information that makes them a lot of money."  I refused then Mike called me back and berated me over the phone about my refusal. (They get your number from a list after you've contacted other betting services). Long story longer: betting should be the extra financial reward for using intelligence to make an educated prediction. Every now and then I may pay for a pick if I think I need an edge but not to what I did before. Few and far between make a true living at this but I feel I've done well enough to nor control or ruin me financially or on my marriage. Be prepared, be alert, and be wise.

     
    Theasscritic
    Theasscritic
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 1761
    Posted: Nov. 25, 2023 - 8:30 AM ET #35

    I have a different take on the Success of a GAMBLER , it all starts with psychology

     

    The problem with sports bettors is we think we know everything 

    when in fact we know very very very little 

    if u believe that u know a lot about all these players ,teams , different sports , ,horses etc , then your in DREAMLAND 

    so u must acknowledge that u know very little, when u have acknowledged that 

    then u have a SHOT in this business because you will be focusing in on something that U KNOW BEST, which is the LITTLE that u know , so this just gives u a shot, the next question is are u good enough with what u know best ?? which is the little that u know !! Time will tell obviously 

    So u are now focused in on capping a smaller part of the sports betting arena that u have the most CONFIDENCE  in , which is the little that u know 

    This has to be established first in my opinion

    After that it’s all about your CAPPING ABILITIES combined with your CASH MOVES (small moves, avg moves, large moves, huge moves )

    these 2 factors go hand in hand , their like twins or a marriage or 2 wheels on a bike or 2 wings on a plane 

    if one of them breaks down too often it will be a struggle to keep your head above water , if that happens often the gambler might have to ask themselves if this is for me ? 

    maybe the gambler should keep it as a small hobby , something like buying lotto tickets 

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Reply

    I have a different take on the Success of a GAMBLER , it all starts with psychology

     

    The problem with sports bettors is we think we know everything 

    when in fact we know very very very little 

    if u believe that u know a lot about all these players ,teams , different sports , ,horses etc , then your in DREAMLAND 

    so u must acknowledge that u know very little, when u have acknowledged that 

    then u have a SHOT in this business because you will be focusing in on something that U KNOW BEST, which is the LITTLE that u know , so this just gives u a shot, the next question is are u good enough with what u know best ?? which is the little that u know !! Time will tell obviously 

    So u are now focused in on capping a smaller part of the sports betting arena that u have the most CONFIDENCE  in , which is the little that u know 

    This has to be established first in my opinion

    After that it’s all about your CAPPING ABILITIES combined with your CASH MOVES (small moves, avg moves, large moves, huge moves )

    these 2 factors go hand in hand , their like twins or a marriage or 2 wheels on a bike or 2 wings on a plane 

    if one of them breaks down too often it will be a struggle to keep your head above water , if that happens often the gambler might have to ask themselves if this is for me ? 

    maybe the gambler should keep it as a small hobby , something like buying lotto tickets 

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Nov. 25, 2023 - 8:46 AM ET #36

    @Theasscritic

    Assuming what you wrote is true....

    Doesnt it make sense to minimize the impact of "capping" in your profitability model?

    In a nutshell - that is what I am advocating.  Figure out a way to maximize profitability and minimize reliance on "picking winners".

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply

    @Theasscritic

    Assuming what you wrote is true....

    Doesnt it make sense to minimize the impact of "capping" in your profitability model?

    In a nutshell - that is what I am advocating.  Figure out a way to maximize profitability and minimize reliance on "picking winners".

     
    Theasscritic
    Theasscritic
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 1761
    Posted: Nov. 25, 2023 - 9:04 AM ET #37

    @vanzack

     

    what your saying in my opinion should be determined by the gamblers capping confidence and goals , a gambler can succeed in both approaches in my view , so your 100 % accurate

    I believe that there are plays out there that a gamlber should hit harder than other plays, this is my opinion because I believe that sometimes , not often obviously , there is a LOOSE line posted , when that line is posted I believe a gambler has to be more aggressive as these LOOSE lines don’t pop up often

     

     

     

    Reply

    @vanzack

     

    what your saying in my opinion should be determined by the gamblers capping confidence and goals , a gambler can succeed in both approaches in my view , so your 100 % accurate

    I believe that there are plays out there that a gamlber should hit harder than other plays, this is my opinion because I believe that sometimes , not often obviously , there is a LOOSE line posted , when that line is posted I believe a gambler has to be more aggressive as these LOOSE lines don’t pop up often

     

     

     

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Nov. 25, 2023 - 12:59 PM ET #38

    Quote Originally Posted by Theasscritic:

    @vanzack   what your saying in my opinion should be determined by the gamblers capping confidence and goals , a gambler can succeed in both approaches in my view , so your 100 % accurate I believe that there are plays out there that a gamlber should hit harder than other plays, this is my opinion because I believe that sometimes , not often obviously , there is a LOOSE line posted , when that line is posted I believe a gambler has to be more aggressive as these LOOSE lines don’t pop up often

     

    There is "no discipline"  at all in what you are saying.   Suggesting that a gambler should " hit harder"  some plays because " a loose line is posted" is nonsense,  without any guardrails  (i.e. a " hard" limit on your unit size no matter what) 

    Cash  ""Management "" plays a sizable role in one's success.  I thought in your previous post you were going to get there,  but you posted this ; 

     

     -- After that it’s all about your CAPPING ABILITIES combined with your CASH MOVES (small moves, avg moves, large moves, huge moves )

     

    This is what you should have said IMHO ; 

     

    -- After that it’s all about your CAPPING ABILITIES combined with your CASH MANAGEMENT 

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Theasscritic:

    @vanzack   what your saying in my opinion should be determined by the gamblers capping confidence and goals , a gambler can succeed in both approaches in my view , so your 100 % accurate I believe that there are plays out there that a gamlber should hit harder than other plays, this is my opinion because I believe that sometimes , not often obviously , there is a LOOSE line posted , when that line is posted I believe a gambler has to be more aggressive as these LOOSE lines don’t pop up often

     

    There is "no discipline"  at all in what you are saying.   Suggesting that a gambler should " hit harder"  some plays because " a loose line is posted" is nonsense,  without any guardrails  (i.e. a " hard" limit on your unit size no matter what) 

    Cash  ""Management "" plays a sizable role in one's success.  I thought in your previous post you were going to get there,  but you posted this ; 

     

     -- After that it’s all about your CAPPING ABILITIES combined with your CASH MOVES (small moves, avg moves, large moves, huge moves )

     

    This is what you should have said IMHO ; 

     

    -- After that it’s all about your CAPPING ABILITIES combined with your CASH MANAGEMENT 

     
    Theasscritic
    Theasscritic
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 1761
    Posted: Nov. 25, 2023 - 2:46 PM ET #39

    @Rush51

     Managing money doesn’t consist of one  approach in gambling , as long as u control that approach , that’s my opinion and what I will always stick to , u can manage the cash with a WIDE VOLATILITY  range , of course if u are a bad capper it doesn’t matter 

    however if u are a GOOD capper u will make more dough as a result because a GOOD capper knows when to go HEAVY 

     

     

     

    Reply

    @Rush51

     Managing money doesn’t consist of one  approach in gambling , as long as u control that approach , that’s my opinion and what I will always stick to , u can manage the cash with a WIDE VOLATILITY  range , of course if u are a bad capper it doesn’t matter 

    however if u are a GOOD capper u will make more dough as a result because a GOOD capper knows when to go HEAVY 

     

     

     

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Nov. 25, 2023 - 3:48 PM ET #40

    @Theasscritic

     And when that good caper bets 10u or 20u on a game he "knows"  is a solid bet... and loses that game,  then chasing ensues , and the downward spiral begins.

    You need to set some solid, reasonable betting parameters in order to be successful in this business.  

    Reply

    @Theasscritic

     And when that good caper bets 10u or 20u on a game he "knows"  is a solid bet... and loses that game,  then chasing ensues , and the downward spiral begins.

    You need to set some solid, reasonable betting parameters in order to be successful in this business.  

     
    RayRayK
    RayRayK
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 12942
    Posted: Dec. 16, 2023 - 3:22 PM ET #41

    It’s a horrible addiction , very powerful and hard to quit. People who make money at it wager Very little because people who gamble every day are addicts who lose. People who ate gambling small amounts who can afford to lose and enjoy the entertainment aspect of it are fine - few are those as well. Better off not gambling is my advice. 

    Reply

    It’s a horrible addiction , very powerful and hard to quit. People who make money at it wager Very little because people who gamble every day are addicts who lose. People who ate gambling small amounts who can afford to lose and enjoy the entertainment aspect of it are fine - few are those as well. Better off not gambling is my advice. 

     
    cusefan8711
    cusefan8711
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 165
    Posted: Dec. 16, 2023 - 4:27 PM ET #42

    @vanzack

     Really well thought out answer and much appreciated contribution Van. Your point about taking emotions out of it is why i have temporarily (hopefully permanently) walked away from gambling. It's so hard to see the right like when you always have an emotional lean. 

    great advice and thread in general. I completely agree with the poster who mentioned some people like to do 4-5k trips and vacations, he/she likes to gamble on games. To me as long as it's a healthy vice, I have never seen an issue and can't understand that stigma. 

    BOL out there peace_5

    Reply

    @vanzack

     Really well thought out answer and much appreciated contribution Van. Your point about taking emotions out of it is why i have temporarily (hopefully permanently) walked away from gambling. It's so hard to see the right like when you always have an emotional lean. 

    great advice and thread in general. I completely agree with the poster who mentioned some people like to do 4-5k trips and vacations, he/she likes to gamble on games. To me as long as it's a healthy vice, I have never seen an issue and can't understand that stigma. 

    BOL out there peace_5

     
    phillies73
    phillies73
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2023
    Posts: 1780
    Posted: Dec. 16, 2023 - 4:48 PM ET #43

    everyone loses gambling. unless your a card counter

    Reply

    everyone loses gambling. unless your a card counter

     
    Ppkay
    Ppkay
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2022
    Posts: 2985
    Posted: Dec. 16, 2023 - 4:59 PM ET #44

    @Moose6836

     

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose6836:

    It’s better than booze/drugs and going out on date/with friends. Asides from family health and the good lord-sports is everything!!! I’ll never quit wagering on sports.

    This is me.  I set aside one month salary.  Most my bets are what i make a day.  I find that i need skin in the game to get the desired effect.  I want to win but dont think im good enough to make a living at it.

    I dont believe i have a gambling problem but i dont enjoy a game unless i bet.

     

     

    Reply

    @Moose6836

     

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose6836:

    It’s better than booze/drugs and going out on date/with friends. Asides from family health and the good lord-sports is everything!!! I’ll never quit wagering on sports.

    This is me.  I set aside one month salary.  Most my bets are what i make a day.  I find that i need skin in the game to get the desired effect.  I want to win but dont think im good enough to make a living at it.

    I dont believe i have a gambling problem but i dont enjoy a game unless i bet.

     

     

     
    tjones1270
    tjones1270
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2024
    Posts: 962
    Posted: Jan. 9, 2026 - 1:42 PM ET #45

    vegas doesnt gamble we do just betvwithin your means do not bet more than you can afford to loase im working so my income is unlmited 

     

    i try to stay wirhin 4 games on sundays maxbet eaxh $50 okus be timr yds

    Reply

    vegas doesnt gamble we do just betvwithin your means do not bet more than you can afford to loase im working so my income is unlmited 

     

    i try to stay wirhin 4 games on sundays maxbet eaxh $50 okus be timr yds

     
    usarmy69-71
    usarmy69-71
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2014
    Posts: 782
    Posted: Jan. 9, 2026 - 4:00 PM ET #46

    REMEMBER YOUR FAVORITE TEAM SHOULD ALWAYS BE THE ONE YOU BET

    Reply

    REMEMBER YOUR FAVORITE TEAM SHOULD ALWAYS BE THE ONE YOU BET

     
    cd329
    cd329
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2004
    Posts: 23758
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2026 - 12:51 AM ET #47

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis1218:

    @TxG31  There’s a documentary from ARTE on YouTube that came out yesterday about sports gambling. According to them, 99% of sports gamblers lose in the long run. It’s that bad. I have been sports gambling for 12 years and I’ve lost an average of $5000 a year. Lol. It’s life, I also consider this a hobby. Like I tell my family, they like going abroad to travel, and I like staying home and gambling. It’s life. Lol. But you’re right, Vegas is in for the long run. The only way to make money would be to become a bookie. My brother and I always joke about that.  Happy Thanksgiving! Good luck to all!!

    Am starting my 47th year gambling. This is one habit that i wish i never started, life could have been way better then my life is now(which is good) but i grew up around it everyday and it just ended up becoming second nature.  I have had good years and have had bad years, even won a bunch of contests, but in the end the bookies get the donuts.  The vig is too hard to overcome

    Lewis if you had that 60k back right now and put it in some fund for 25 years that only gets 5 percent interest, you would have 203k. Way more then you will ever win gambling in 25 years.  Gambling is a very bad habit, that takes away your money, time and mind, even your health.  I tell young kids find something else to do and just invest the money your gonna lose gambling and down the road you will thank me, lolll. Too late in the game for me to change now, but everyday i still think what life would have been like for me had i never placed any betsan_brick

    Good luckpeace_5

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis1218:

    @TxG31  There’s a documentary from ARTE on YouTube that came out yesterday about sports gambling. According to them, 99% of sports gamblers lose in the long run. It’s that bad. I have been sports gambling for 12 years and I’ve lost an average of $5000 a year. Lol. It’s life, I also consider this a hobby. Like I tell my family, they like going abroad to travel, and I like staying home and gambling. It’s life. Lol. But you’re right, Vegas is in for the long run. The only way to make money would be to become a bookie. My brother and I always joke about that.  Happy Thanksgiving! Good luck to all!!

    Am starting my 47th year gambling. This is one habit that i wish i never started, life could have been way better then my life is now(which is good) but i grew up around it everyday and it just ended up becoming second nature.  I have had good years and have had bad years, even won a bunch of contests, but in the end the bookies get the donuts.  The vig is too hard to overcome

    Lewis if you had that 60k back right now and put it in some fund for 25 years that only gets 5 percent interest, you would have 203k. Way more then you will ever win gambling in 25 years.  Gambling is a very bad habit, that takes away your money, time and mind, even your health.  I tell young kids find something else to do and just invest the money your gonna lose gambling and down the road you will thank me, lolll. Too late in the game for me to change now, but everyday i still think what life would have been like for me had i never placed any betsan_brick

    Good luckpeace_5

     
    cd329
    cd329
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2004
    Posts: 23758
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2026 - 12:57 AM ET #48

    Quote Originally Posted by brn2loslive2win:

    @TxG31  Here’s my take on this - it means absolutely nothing what side is taking all the action on a specific game. Vegas loses big on some games and wins big on others. The goal of the bookmakers will always be to make money on the vig which they are guaranteed to do in the long run.  BUT- you can use this information to your advantage! When one side takes heavy action that is telling you that the line will reflect that. SO, if you want to bet the favorite get your bets in early to get the best line before it gets bet up to a number you’re no longer comfortable with. If you want the dog wait until the line hits it’s peak to get as many points as possible.

    Nice to see somebody that gets it. peace_5  Gamblers today think all the games are rigged, when the truth is the games dont need to be rigged because 97 percent of bettors are going to lose long term and that vig the books earn from every bet, bettors just dont realize how hard it is to overcome.

    Compound interest makes investors rich and the vig makes sports books rich.  Books dont give a shit who wins or loses in any one game, cause in the end they will end up with all our money.  Its like when a person wins at the casino, the casino doesnt care that they lose, cause they are just loaning the winner the money for the time being, the casino will get it back and then some. Its been like this since our dumb asses have been on this planet

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by brn2loslive2win:

    @TxG31  Here’s my take on this - it means absolutely nothing what side is taking all the action on a specific game. Vegas loses big on some games and wins big on others. The goal of the bookmakers will always be to make money on the vig which they are guaranteed to do in the long run.  BUT- you can use this information to your advantage! When one side takes heavy action that is telling you that the line will reflect that. SO, if you want to bet the favorite get your bets in early to get the best line before it gets bet up to a number you’re no longer comfortable with. If you want the dog wait until the line hits it’s peak to get as many points as possible.

    Nice to see somebody that gets it. peace_5  Gamblers today think all the games are rigged, when the truth is the games dont need to be rigged because 97 percent of bettors are going to lose long term and that vig the books earn from every bet, bettors just dont realize how hard it is to overcome.

    Compound interest makes investors rich and the vig makes sports books rich.  Books dont give a shit who wins or loses in any one game, cause in the end they will end up with all our money.  Its like when a person wins at the casino, the casino doesnt care that they lose, cause they are just loaning the winner the money for the time being, the casino will get it back and then some. Its been like this since our dumb asses have been on this planet

     
    justliketoplay
    justliketoplay
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2017
    Posts: 5776
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2026 - 1:06 AM ET #49

    Here's what you do. You get yourself involved in other people's pools, ask around as there are many out there whether it be a yearly pool or squares or strip cards  or even right here on covers with CJ's FREE weekly pool here which he gives you a $50 gift certificate for picking four winners out of four for the week. And if you win his season ending it's $500 and to show you how hard it is to win, I went 36 and 36 which several other people did.. The vig is going to kill me if I bet that during the year. But with that being said, 39 wins out of 72 total games throughout the season won $500 (Not bad for a free game eh?).. Anything but the main games weekly because just by playing pools and just by playing strip cards and just by playing squares you're still going to be stressed, You're still going to have fun and most importantly you're NOT going to get your ass losing money playing the lines, week in and week out. thefootball

    When I win Money it's my money and NOT house money
    Reply

    Here's what you do. You get yourself involved in other people's pools, ask around as there are many out there whether it be a yearly pool or squares or strip cards  or even right here on covers with CJ's FREE weekly pool here which he gives you a $50 gift certificate for picking four winners out of four for the week. And if you win his season ending it's $500 and to show you how hard it is to win, I went 36 and 36 which several other people did.. The vig is going to kill me if I bet that during the year. But with that being said, 39 wins out of 72 total games throughout the season won $500 (Not bad for a free game eh?).. Anything but the main games weekly because just by playing pools and just by playing strip cards and just by playing squares you're still going to be stressed, You're still going to have fun and most importantly you're NOT going to get your ass losing money playing the lines, week in and week out. thefootball

     
     
    Dixie1
    Dixie1
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 5
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2026 - 6:10 AM ET #50

    A gamblers money has no home. 

    Reply

    A gamblers money has no home. 

    All Forums | General Discussion
    «First Previous 123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,364
    • Friday 10/02/2026 910
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 266,496
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,277
    • PART DEUX 288
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 31,405
    • Trump's legacy? 32,964
    • Delaware QB Nick Minicucci 4,549
    • **$$$ MD Friday 10/2 $$$** 5,829
    • NCAA WEEK 5 ***Mission Impossible: Fade me and win *** 5,990

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.