• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | MLB Betting Forum

    Flat betting in Baseball....

    «First Previous 91011 ... 121314 Next Last»
    lawstyle
    SecondAgain
    lineguesser
    infmus02
    lanastasis
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 42489
    Posts: 347
    «First Previous 91011 ... 121314 Next Last»
     
    lawstyle
    lawstyle
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 291
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 3:56 AM ET #201

    Quote Originally Posted by lanastasis:

    Sweet, you're back!

    OK, I know what you are saying. I understood this premise explained a different way a number of times above. There came a point and time in this thread where I assumed you and Vanzack were correct and was going to complete my calculations merely to confirm your statements.

    But while your logic makes sense, it is not hashed out in practical reality, which for me, is my betting log. You would suggest that 315 wagers is a decently sized mathematical model, no? Of course, I would feel better if it was 3,115 instead, but this is what we have to work with. You would also say that my sample size eliminates much of the randomness from a mock experiment of 4 wagers, no? Assuming yes to these questions, then the math of my experiment is more valid than your example, no offense.

    I don't know, can you both be correct in theory while I am simultaneously correct in application? That's what it seems like we have here.

    I'm just wondering how you justify saying unequivocally that flat betting is more profitable betting more favs than dogs because I do just this but it is less profitable.

    Also, remember when you mentioned I am probably risking more units doing it my way than w/ flat betting? Well, I probably agree but this makes flat betting sound very hypocritical. The formulas you and Vanzack gave for flat betting were adjusted to work with a standard betting size of 1 unit and you argued that using this formula = more profits long term than always risking 1 unit instead. I have proven this is not necessarily true.

    Maybe this is an idea: Is there a way to tweak w/ the basic flatbetting formula to add more units risked per play to compensate for the disparity?

    Anyway, the bottom line is (and my head is starting to hurt from all this): Which method gains you more profits long term? And the answer (for the model I have given, which is decent sized and leans toward favorites) is that risking 1 unit is more profitable than flat betting.

    No, this is wrong.  You are winning a higher percentage of dogs relative to favorites than you should be based on the odds.  I can't state it any more succinctly.  Just reread that sentence a few times and let it sink in (no joke, it helped me)  Your ML average may be -104, and you may be hitting favorites at a very high percentage, but based on the odds, you are hitting dogs MORE than you should be based on the odds, relative to how much you are winning on the favorites based on the odds.

     

    There is no point in betting 1 unit on every game, even on dogs, since dogs winning are much less likely to hit.  Unless you are hitting dogs at a higher rate than the odds dictate (hitting +200 bets 50% of the time when you should only be getting them 33%), flat benefitting will pay off.  More examples later if it doesn't help.

    Take the ML average of your dogs.  Do the same for your favorites.  Now, what is your percentage for ML dogs, and what is it for ML favorites?  This may prove it based on your data...

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by lanastasis:

    Sweet, you're back!

    OK, I know what you are saying. I understood this premise explained a different way a number of times above. There came a point and time in this thread where I assumed you and Vanzack were correct and was going to complete my calculations merely to confirm your statements.

    But while your logic makes sense, it is not hashed out in practical reality, which for me, is my betting log. You would suggest that 315 wagers is a decently sized mathematical model, no? Of course, I would feel better if it was 3,115 instead, but this is what we have to work with. You would also say that my sample size eliminates much of the randomness from a mock experiment of 4 wagers, no? Assuming yes to these questions, then the math of my experiment is more valid than your example, no offense.

    I don't know, can you both be correct in theory while I am simultaneously correct in application? That's what it seems like we have here.

    I'm just wondering how you justify saying unequivocally that flat betting is more profitable betting more favs than dogs because I do just this but it is less profitable.

    Also, remember when you mentioned I am probably risking more units doing it my way than w/ flat betting? Well, I probably agree but this makes flat betting sound very hypocritical. The formulas you and Vanzack gave for flat betting were adjusted to work with a standard betting size of 1 unit and you argued that using this formula = more profits long term than always risking 1 unit instead. I have proven this is not necessarily true.

    Maybe this is an idea: Is there a way to tweak w/ the basic flatbetting formula to add more units risked per play to compensate for the disparity?

    Anyway, the bottom line is (and my head is starting to hurt from all this): Which method gains you more profits long term? And the answer (for the model I have given, which is decent sized and leans toward favorites) is that risking 1 unit is more profitable than flat betting.

    No, this is wrong.  You are winning a higher percentage of dogs relative to favorites than you should be based on the odds.  I can't state it any more succinctly.  Just reread that sentence a few times and let it sink in (no joke, it helped me)  Your ML average may be -104, and you may be hitting favorites at a very high percentage, but based on the odds, you are hitting dogs MORE than you should be based on the odds, relative to how much you are winning on the favorites based on the odds.

     

    There is no point in betting 1 unit on every game, even on dogs, since dogs winning are much less likely to hit.  Unless you are hitting dogs at a higher rate than the odds dictate (hitting +200 bets 50% of the time when you should only be getting them 33%), flat benefitting will pay off.  More examples later if it doesn't help.

    Take the ML average of your dogs.  Do the same for your favorites.  Now, what is your percentage for ML dogs, and what is it for ML favorites?  This may prove it based on your data...

     
    SecondAgain
    SecondAgain
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 25922
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:02 AM ET #202

    Although Vanzack and I have discussed staking plans before and disgaree on the best one to use he is correct here on how to apply flat betting.
     
    As mentioned though, a good staking plan will get you better profits, but it will not turn losing plays into profitable ones.
     
    The easiest way to calculate flat stakes is to start using decimal prices.
     
    And it's not about how it works out for you today, but long term. Work out the difference over 1000 bets or over the course of a season.
     
    And van, next time include a LOCK to keep the kids happy
     
    G8R and I are coming down to meet you on the boat on Sunday. See you then
    Reply
    Although Vanzack and I have discussed staking plans before and disgaree on the best one to use he is correct here on how to apply flat betting.
     
    As mentioned though, a good staking plan will get you better profits, but it will not turn losing plays into profitable ones.
     
    The easiest way to calculate flat stakes is to start using decimal prices.
     
    And it's not about how it works out for you today, but long term. Work out the difference over 1000 bets or over the course of a season.
     
    And van, next time include a LOCK to keep the kids happy
     
    G8R and I are coming down to meet you on the boat on Sunday. See you then
     
    lineguesser
    lineguesser
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2007
    Posts: 2922
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:04 AM ET #203

    great read... thanks to everybody who contributed

    there are many different variables to consider and the "flat-betting" vs. "bet X to win one unit/bet one unit to win X" theories could potentially have a happy medium and potentially a powerful hybrid

    it seems that these two systems are viewed as opposite ends of the spectrum when in fact I don't think they should necessarily be viewed that way.  lanastasis' experiment of showing the differing unit amounts he would have won above displays this (they were not very far off and could be assessed in a way that would assign each a ROI)

    lanastasis lawstyle, vanzack, et al - this could possibly be done by determining if you bet the dogs or faves "better" historically and then weight the amount you bet each one...of course this could only properly be done if you have and keep a decent amount of data from your betting habits and style over time

    yes, you would be making certain games more "important", but not glaringly; and with baseball having a bell curve of +200/-200 at the extremes with more than likely 2/3rds or your bets actually falling in the +150/-150 (or say +175/-125 range if you are a "dog" bettor), then this differing importance could not only be minimized, but in fact could be put to work for you in a profitable way.

    I have no personal statistics or volumes of betting data to back any of this up, but these were some of the thoughts that came to mind for me
    Reply
    great read... thanks to everybody who contributed

    there are many different variables to consider and the "flat-betting" vs. "bet X to win one unit/bet one unit to win X" theories could potentially have a happy medium and potentially a powerful hybrid

    it seems that these two systems are viewed as opposite ends of the spectrum when in fact I don't think they should necessarily be viewed that way.  lanastasis' experiment of showing the differing unit amounts he would have won above displays this (they were not very far off and could be assessed in a way that would assign each a ROI)

    lanastasis lawstyle, vanzack, et al - this could possibly be done by determining if you bet the dogs or faves "better" historically and then weight the amount you bet each one...of course this could only properly be done if you have and keep a decent amount of data from your betting habits and style over time

    yes, you would be making certain games more "important", but not glaringly; and with baseball having a bell curve of +200/-200 at the extremes with more than likely 2/3rds or your bets actually falling in the +150/-150 (or say +175/-125 range if you are a "dog" bettor), then this differing importance could not only be minimized, but in fact could be put to work for you in a profitable way.

    I have no personal statistics or volumes of betting data to back any of this up, but these were some of the thoughts that came to mind for me
     
    infmus02
    infmus02
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 1652
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:05 AM ET #204

    I figured it out and i think that is a wonderful idea for money management.  Never thought of this but it is very good.  Ur profits should increase with this method.
    Reply
    I figured it out and i think that is a wonderful idea for money management.  Never thought of this but it is very good.  Ur profits should increase with this method.
     
    SecondAgain
    SecondAgain
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 25922
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:06 AM ET #205

    Quote Originally Posted by lanastasis:

    I know a great number of sharps and they only bet dogs

    A) I would argue they are in the minority for sharps overall.
    B) I would argue their capping is lacking since they cannot spot the value in lines where favorites are being undervalued.


    Their capping is not lacking, trust me.

    They cap every game on its merits exactly the same. If they have found the edge in that game they do not bet it if it is favourite. They have been doing this for a number of seasons and have back tested over more, and their profits are greater by ignoring all favorites.

    They do not look for dogs, but only bet them

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by lanastasis:

    I know a great number of sharps and they only bet dogs

    A) I would argue they are in the minority for sharps overall.
    B) I would argue their capping is lacking since they cannot spot the value in lines where favorites are being undervalued.


    Their capping is not lacking, trust me.

    They cap every game on its merits exactly the same. If they have found the edge in that game they do not bet it if it is favourite. They have been doing this for a number of seasons and have back tested over more, and their profits are greater by ignoring all favorites.

    They do not look for dogs, but only bet them

     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:08 AM ET #206

    You are winning a higher percentage of dogs relative to favorites than you should be based on the odds.  I can't state it any more succinctly.  Just reread that sentence a few times and let it sink in

    OK, let me try to understand. Are you saying that while I am making a profit on favs and dogs alike that my success on dogs is even better than my success on favs? Even if so, I am assuming that my 315 size sample has (for now) truly identified a pattern in what I do. And I stick to the argument (which is based on the math that I described earlier as conducted on my betting history) that sticking to my method instead of flat betting will earn me a bigger profit. Is there a chance this could change if my betting results begin to suggest something different in the future? Sure, but given the past results to date, how can you argue that I use flat betting when it is proven to gain me less?
    Reply
    You are winning a higher percentage of dogs relative to favorites than you should be based on the odds.  I can't state it any more succinctly.  Just reread that sentence a few times and let it sink in

    OK, let me try to understand. Are you saying that while I am making a profit on favs and dogs alike that my success on dogs is even better than my success on favs? Even if so, I am assuming that my 315 size sample has (for now) truly identified a pattern in what I do. And I stick to the argument (which is based on the math that I described earlier as conducted on my betting history) that sticking to my method instead of flat betting will earn me a bigger profit. Is there a chance this could change if my betting results begin to suggest something different in the future? Sure, but given the past results to date, how can you argue that I use flat betting when it is proven to gain me less?
     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:11 AM ET #207

    Quote Originally Posted by infmus02:

    I figured it out and i think that is a wonderful idea for money management.  Never thought of this but it is very good.  Ur profits should increase with this method.


    Or decrease with me. It is not for me and if it is not for me, there must be many others it is not for either.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by infmus02:

    I figured it out and i think that is a wonderful idea for money management.  Never thought of this but it is very good.  Ur profits should increase with this method.


    Or decrease with me. It is not for me and if it is not for me, there must be many others it is not for either.
     
    SecondAgain
    SecondAgain
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 25922
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:11 AM ET #208

    Even if so, I am assuming that my 315 size sample has (for now) truly identified a pattern in what I do.
     
    315 is not large enough. 1000 is what you are looking for.
     
    Reply
    Even if so, I am assuming that my 315 size sample has (for now) truly identified a pattern in what I do.
     
    315 is not large enough. 1000 is what you are looking for.
     
     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:15 AM ET #209

    Their capping is not lacking, trust me.

    They cap every game on its merits exactly the same. If they have found the edge in that game they do not bet it if it is favourite. They have been doing this for a number of seasons and have back tested over more, and their profits are greater by ignoring all favorites.

    They do not look for dogs, but only bet them

    Do you agree or disagree that there is value to be had on favorites who are underpriced? If no, let me assure you this is the case. I have consistently identified mispriced fav lines and taken them to the bank. OK, if you are with me here, then you would have to say that either
    A) There are sharps who cannot identify these mispriced lines and hence are outgained by those who do; or B) All sharps identify these mistakes but not all take advantage, which would be idiotic.
    Reply

    Their capping is not lacking, trust me.

    They cap every game on its merits exactly the same. If they have found the edge in that game they do not bet it if it is favourite. They have been doing this for a number of seasons and have back tested over more, and their profits are greater by ignoring all favorites.

    They do not look for dogs, but only bet them

    Do you agree or disagree that there is value to be had on favorites who are underpriced? If no, let me assure you this is the case. I have consistently identified mispriced fav lines and taken them to the bank. OK, if you are with me here, then you would have to say that either
    A) There are sharps who cannot identify these mispriced lines and hence are outgained by those who do; or B) All sharps identify these mistakes but not all take advantage, which would be idiotic.
     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:16 AM ET #210

    Quote Originally Posted by SecondAgain:

    Even if so, I am assuming that my 315 size sample has (for now) truly identified a pattern in what I do.
     
    315 is not large enough. 1000 is what you are looking for.
     


    When I reach 1,000, I will happily update my findings but for now this is all I have.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondAgain:

    Even if so, I am assuming that my 315 size sample has (for now) truly identified a pattern in what I do.
     
    315 is not large enough. 1000 is what you are looking for.
     


    When I reach 1,000, I will happily update my findings but for now this is all I have.
     
    infmus02
    infmus02
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 1652
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:21 AM ET #211

    Quote Originally Posted by lanastasis:



    Or decrease with me. It is not for me and if it is not for me, there must be many others it is not for either.

     

    Your right... to you it would decrease your profits but too flat bettors it would decrease their losses which in turn would increase their profits.  That's all there saying here.  They are not trying to tell people to flat bet but if u do flat bet then this is the method you should use. 

    Note to everyone.... this only works if u can cap games at 50 percent and higher.  Not that you would make any money at 50 percent but you wouldn't lose any also. 

    Lan.  i wouldn't change what your doing cause obviously it is working for you.  I am not going to change my system either because it has worked for me the past 3 years.  GL and hope everyone can make out something out of this Thread. 

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by lanastasis:



    Or decrease with me. It is not for me and if it is not for me, there must be many others it is not for either.

     

    Your right... to you it would decrease your profits but too flat bettors it would decrease their losses which in turn would increase their profits.  That's all there saying here.  They are not trying to tell people to flat bet but if u do flat bet then this is the method you should use. 

    Note to everyone.... this only works if u can cap games at 50 percent and higher.  Not that you would make any money at 50 percent but you wouldn't lose any also. 

    Lan.  i wouldn't change what your doing cause obviously it is working for you.  I am not going to change my system either because it has worked for me the past 3 years.  GL and hope everyone can make out something out of this Thread. 

     
    SecondAgain
    SecondAgain
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 25922
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:21 AM ET #212

    The favourites are consistently over-bet, that is why the lack of value exists. There is a reason why the reverse favourite longshot bias is a proven fact in relation to baseball. Even if they bet the the favourites where they had an edge they made a loss. The profit comes from the edge on the dogs. It is called knowing the source of success.
     
    Going 60% @ -160 or going 50% at +110 over 1000 $1 bets. What is better?
    Reply
    The favourites are consistently over-bet, that is why the lack of value exists. There is a reason why the reverse favourite longshot bias is a proven fact in relation to baseball. Even if they bet the the favourites where they had an edge they made a loss. The profit comes from the edge on the dogs. It is called knowing the source of success.
     
    Going 60% @ -160 or going 50% at +110 over 1000 $1 bets. What is better?
     
    lawstyle
    lawstyle
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 291
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:23 AM ET #213

    lanastasis - I think 315 is enough.  "Sure, but given the past results to date, how can you argue that I use flat betting when it is proven to gain me less? "  I never argued that at all.  In fact, I explicitly stated that it is not the best option if you are winning dogs at a higher rate than you should be, or favorites at a lower rate than you should be.
     
    But I think I can prove this based on your data...
    Can you average the ML dogs for me (+110, +120, +130 average would be +120)? 
    Can you do the same for your ML favorites (like -120, -130, -140, average would be -130)?
    Now, what is your overall winning percentage for ML dogs?  And for ML favorites?  Once I have this info I think I can show you what it means...
    Reply
    lanastasis - I think 315 is enough.  "Sure, but given the past results to date, how can you argue that I use flat betting when it is proven to gain me less? "  I never argued that at all.  In fact, I explicitly stated that it is not the best option if you are winning dogs at a higher rate than you should be, or favorites at a lower rate than you should be.
     
    But I think I can prove this based on your data...
    Can you average the ML dogs for me (+110, +120, +130 average would be +120)? 
    Can you do the same for your ML favorites (like -120, -130, -140, average would be -130)?
    Now, what is your overall winning percentage for ML dogs?  And for ML favorites?  Once I have this info I think I can show you what it means...
     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:30 AM ET #214

    Quote Originally Posted by SecondAgain:

    The favourites are consistently over-bet, that is why the lack of value exists. There is a reason why the reverse favourite longshot bias is a proven fact in relation to baseball. Even if they bet the the favourites where they had an edge they made a loss. The profit comes from the edge on the dogs. It is called knowing the source of success.
     
    Going 60% @ -160 or going 50% at +110 over 1000 $1 bets. What is better?


    I would not disagree that a correct oversimplification of the matter is to suggest that favorites, on average, are overvalued. I am not arguing against this. I am saying that on an individual game basis (and on a daily basis), there exist favs who are undervalued and present concrete betting opportunities for profit. If you disagree with this then you do not understand capping/betting baseball. I have put this into practice and it nets profits, no questions asked. Why do you think even Vanzack agrees with me here?
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondAgain:

    The favourites are consistently over-bet, that is why the lack of value exists. There is a reason why the reverse favourite longshot bias is a proven fact in relation to baseball. Even if they bet the the favourites where they had an edge they made a loss. The profit comes from the edge on the dogs. It is called knowing the source of success.
     
    Going 60% @ -160 or going 50% at +110 over 1000 $1 bets. What is better?


    I would not disagree that a correct oversimplification of the matter is to suggest that favorites, on average, are overvalued. I am not arguing against this. I am saying that on an individual game basis (and on a daily basis), there exist favs who are undervalued and present concrete betting opportunities for profit. If you disagree with this then you do not understand capping/betting baseball. I have put this into practice and it nets profits, no questions asked. Why do you think even Vanzack agrees with me here?
     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:30 AM ET #215

    Now, what is your overall winning percentage for ML dogs?  And for ML favorites?  Once I have this info I think I can show you what it means...

    OK, let me get cracking ...
    Reply
    Now, what is your overall winning percentage for ML dogs?  And for ML favorites?  Once I have this info I think I can show you what it means...

    OK, let me get cracking ...
     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:42 AM ET #216

    Lawstyle, here's what I got. To me, it seems like it is right in line with the results I had for the other experiments.

    Late 2007 avg. favorite line: -139.72
    Late 2007 avg. underdog line: +133.57

    2008 avg. favorite line: -137
    2007 avg. underdog line: +129.58

    Looks semi consistent to me and also displays a consistent lean on favs which I have tried flat betting on with negative results.
    Reply
    Lawstyle, here's what I got. To me, it seems like it is right in line with the results I had for the other experiments.

    Late 2007 avg. favorite line: -139.72
    Late 2007 avg. underdog line: +133.57

    2008 avg. favorite line: -137
    2007 avg. underdog line: +129.58

    Looks semi consistent to me and also displays a consistent lean on favs which I have tried flat betting on with negative results.
     
    lawstyle
    lawstyle
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 291
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:46 AM ET #217

    OK, great, can I get your W-L record on the late 2007 favorites and underdogs, separately?
    Reply
    OK, great, can I get your W-L record on the late 2007 favorites and underdogs, separately?
     
    lawstyle
    lawstyle
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 291
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:51 AM ET #218

    or just the percentage for each separately...
     
    Reply
    or just the percentage for each separately...
     
     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 4:52 AM ET #219

    Aye caramba. OK.
    Reply
    Aye caramba. OK.
     
    lawstyle
    lawstyle
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 291
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 5:07 AM ET #220

    i really got to get to sleep man... I'll be back tomorrow afternoon, I'm really interested in these numbers
    Reply
    i really got to get to sleep man... I'll be back tomorrow afternoon, I'm really interested in these numbers
     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 5:10 AM ET #221

    Sorry it took so long. It's been a long day and I couldn't get a formula right to add them so I had to do it manually. Don't worry, I double checked the numbers. Here they are.

    late 2007 favs: 104-54
    late 2007 dogs: 46-61

    2008 favs: 18-9
    2008 dogs: 16-10

    Reply
    Sorry it took so long. It's been a long day and I couldn't get a formula right to add them so I had to do it manually. Don't worry, I double checked the numbers. Here they are.

    late 2007 favs: 104-54
    late 2007 dogs: 46-61

    2008 favs: 18-9
    2008 dogs: 16-10

     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 5:15 AM ET #222

    No problem dude, get some sleep. I need some too.

    The thing about my last set of numbers which seems to prove my point further is how I fared so differently dogwise (percentagewise) last year compared to this year, yet the average moneylines between the 2 years are about the same and the discrepancy in units won between the two years (flat betting vs. my way) is about the same. Isn't one major positive of flatbetting that it knocks out the risk of having different outcomes? Well, there is a major difference between the two years yet flatbetting loses in both instances for me, so unless you can show me something new in the math I am not seeing, that's another swing and a miss for flat betting.
    Reply
    No problem dude, get some sleep. I need some too.

    The thing about my last set of numbers which seems to prove my point further is how I fared so differently dogwise (percentagewise) last year compared to this year, yet the average moneylines between the 2 years are about the same and the discrepancy in units won between the two years (flat betting vs. my way) is about the same. Isn't one major positive of flatbetting that it knocks out the risk of having different outcomes? Well, there is a major difference between the two years yet flatbetting loses in both instances for me, so unless you can show me something new in the math I am not seeing, that's another swing and a miss for flat betting.
     
    lawstyle
    lawstyle
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 291
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 5:17 AM ET #223

    Sorry man, your calculations either here or really far up in the forum have to be off.  If you are 104-54 betting favorites, and flat betting only increases your betting size on favorites, how would profits go DOWN when you switch to flat betting?
     
    Damn, 65.8% on favorites when you should be hitting 57.4% is HUGE.  Your almost exactly where the books expect you to be on dogs, but you got quite an edge on favorites. 
     
    That said, there is no way you could lose money by switching to flat betting, since you'd be betting considerably more on favorites by flat betting (instead of betting 1 unit on a -130 fav, you'd be betting 1.17 units on a -130 favorite).  They add up, and you would have profited a lot based on your betting patterns.  Either your numbers are wrong or your original premises' numbers were off.
     
    later, need sleep
    Reply
    Sorry man, your calculations either here or really far up in the forum have to be off.  If you are 104-54 betting favorites, and flat betting only increases your betting size on favorites, how would profits go DOWN when you switch to flat betting?
     
    Damn, 65.8% on favorites when you should be hitting 57.4% is HUGE.  Your almost exactly where the books expect you to be on dogs, but you got quite an edge on favorites. 
     
    That said, there is no way you could lose money by switching to flat betting, since you'd be betting considerably more on favorites by flat betting (instead of betting 1 unit on a -130 fav, you'd be betting 1.17 units on a -130 favorite).  They add up, and you would have profited a lot based on your betting patterns.  Either your numbers are wrong or your original premises' numbers were off.
     
    later, need sleep
     
    lawstyle
    lawstyle
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 291
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 5:19 AM ET #224

    btw, you're slightly better than where you should be on dogs too, by about a percent.  Nice work
    Reply
    btw, you're slightly better than where you should be on dogs too, by about a percent.  Nice work
     
     
    lawstyle
    lawstyle
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 291
    Posted: Apr. 15, 2008 - 5:27 AM ET #225

    also... for 2008, flat betting should not help you, since you are hitting 61.5% on underdog bets that should be hitting on a 43.6% basis(based on your average ML for dogs).  For favorites, you are hitting at 66.66% when you should be hitting at 57%.  The difference between the two is almost DOUBLE.  You are DOMINATING dogs, almost twice as hard as you are favorites.  Thus, your system, which values dogs more, is helping you.  This goes along perfectly with all of our arguments, but it explains why flat betting doesn't work in your situation.  You are betting dogs better relative to how you are betting favorites.

    Reply

    also... for 2008, flat betting should not help you, since you are hitting 61.5% on underdog bets that should be hitting on a 43.6% basis(based on your average ML for dogs).  For favorites, you are hitting at 66.66% when you should be hitting at 57%.  The difference between the two is almost DOUBLE.  You are DOMINATING dogs, almost twice as hard as you are favorites.  Thus, your system, which values dogs more, is helping you.  This goes along perfectly with all of our arguments, but it explains why flat betting doesn't work in your situation.  You are betting dogs better relative to how you are betting favorites.

    All Forums | MLB Betting Forum
    «First Previous 91011 ... 121314 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 457,394
    • Sunday 10/04/2026 687
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 104,333
    • ***Macwesties * Sun. Oct. 04, 2026 * Week #4 * NFL Football Plays*** 8,540
    • This Seattle Line Is Begging for a Discussion 2,822
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,496
    • __________ 📌 🏈 ?? Fubah's NFL 2026: Week 04 🚩🚩🚩🚩 13,228
    • Lions vs Panthers in game live SNF 1,871
    • Sunday nFl Wk 4 8,149
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 16,847

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.