• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | MLB Betting Forum

    Flat betting in Baseball....

    «First Previous 456 ... 121314 Next Last»
    lanastasis
    vanzack
    Super_Dave
    nccashman
    lawstyle
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 42489
    Posts: 347
    «First Previous 456 ... 121314 Next Last»
     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:41 PM ET #76

    Van, so are you saying that for you personally, you would rather lock in the small profits than count on the questionable ROI of 5%? If so, I can respect that. I just don't know if your strategy is for all of us.
    For example, I bet on games where I identify an ROI of 10% or greater. While I need more time and data to see how accurate this number is, it has gained me very legitimate profits since last year. Every bet I make on average, is netting me upwards of 8% ROI so I would have to see a major line movement to sell that profit away.
    Reply
    Van, so are you saying that for you personally, you would rather lock in the small profits than count on the questionable ROI of 5%? If so, I can respect that. I just don't know if your strategy is for all of us.
    For example, I bet on games where I identify an ROI of 10% or greater. While I need more time and data to see how accurate this number is, it has gained me very legitimate profits since last year. Every bet I make on average, is netting me upwards of 8% ROI so I would have to see a major line movement to sell that profit away.
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:41 PM ET #77

    Quote Originally Posted by tep:

    Van
     
    I always thought I was good at math and puzzles but for the life of me I am having a hard time with the math on this one. Could you so kindly break it down for this moron. How did you get to this +180 dog:  risk .72 to win 1.28.
     
    Thanks

    X = desired midpoint of your wager (unit size)

    Y = line (entered without decimal or + or - sign, example 120 or 140)

    (X*2)/((Y/100)+1) = risk for a dog

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by tep:

    Van
     
    I always thought I was good at math and puzzles but for the life of me I am having a hard time with the math on this one. Could you so kindly break it down for this moron. How did you get to this +180 dog:  risk .72 to win 1.28.
     
    Thanks

    X = desired midpoint of your wager (unit size)

    Y = line (entered without decimal or + or - sign, example 120 or 140)

    (X*2)/((Y/100)+1) = risk for a dog

     
    Super_Dave
    Super_Dave
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2007
    Posts: 939
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:42 PM ET #78

    Quote Originally Posted by HeadOverHeart:

    Flat betting?

    Flat betting to me is betting the same amount, let's say $100, on every wager/proposition no matter the odds.

    +130 @$100

    -130 @$100

    -260 @$100

    +310 @$100

    etc.

    Flat-betting is great, that's what I do, because it allows you to concentrate more on the +/1 of a certain proposition winning as opposed to is 160 to much to pay or will I go up to 170 on this?    Who cares....think that side wins?  Yes?  Then flat bet it.

    At least that's what flat betting is to me.

    It is easier when the odds are listed in decimals instead of +/- as well.
     
    That is how I bet, but I don't really understand how vanzacks system is better? I know I'm not the brightest guy in the world, so can someone explain to me in betting for dummies terms how this system is better, thanks.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadOverHeart:

    Flat betting?

    Flat betting to me is betting the same amount, let's say $100, on every wager/proposition no matter the odds.

    +130 @$100

    -130 @$100

    -260 @$100

    +310 @$100

    etc.

    Flat-betting is great, that's what I do, because it allows you to concentrate more on the +/1 of a certain proposition winning as opposed to is 160 to much to pay or will I go up to 170 on this?    Who cares....think that side wins?  Yes?  Then flat bet it.

    At least that's what flat betting is to me.

    It is easier when the odds are listed in decimals instead of +/- as well.
     
    That is how I bet, but I don't really understand how vanzacks system is better? I know I'm not the brightest guy in the world, so can someone explain to me in betting for dummies terms how this system is better, thanks.
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:43 PM ET #79

    Quote Originally Posted by lanastasis:

    Van, so are you saying that for you personally, you would rather lock in the small profits than count on the questionable ROI of 5%? If so, I can respect that. I just don't know if your strategy is for all of us.
    For example, I bet on games where I identify an ROI of 10% or greater. While I need more time and data to see how accurate this number is, it has gained me very legitimate profits since last year. Every bet I make on average, is netting me upwards of 8% ROI so I would have to see a major line movement to sell that profit away.

    I hardly ever find lines off that big - but if you can and you are doing it - great - dont change it.

    The sure profits for me add up because of the sheer amount of baseball games in a season.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by lanastasis:

    Van, so are you saying that for you personally, you would rather lock in the small profits than count on the questionable ROI of 5%? If so, I can respect that. I just don't know if your strategy is for all of us.
    For example, I bet on games where I identify an ROI of 10% or greater. While I need more time and data to see how accurate this number is, it has gained me very legitimate profits since last year. Every bet I make on average, is netting me upwards of 8% ROI so I would have to see a major line movement to sell that profit away.

    I hardly ever find lines off that big - but if you can and you are doing it - great - dont change it.

    The sure profits for me add up because of the sheer amount of baseball games in a season.

     
    nccashman
    nccashman
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2008
    Posts: 2378
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:44 PM ET #80

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    You have a noble goal, but your math is flawed and therefore you are destined to be a loser.

    Sorry, but you have no understanding of the math I am presenting and worse than that is you are stubborn about your flawed logic being correct.

    Every assumption you have made is wrong.  Dogs, favs, it doesnt matter - I am putting equal weight on all bets I make - and therefore flat betting.

    In order for you to win you will need to do better on your -200 and +200 bets as a group than you do on your -110 and +110 bets as a group.  Does this somehow make sense to you?  Are you better percentagewise when you bet at -200 or +200 than -110 or +110? 

    Because I know you dont realize it, but you are betting more on every bet that is farther away from 100 and you dont even know it.

    One thing is for sure my friend, we both have an ass for an avatar.  

    No comment on the fact that you called me a loser except...check the posts and you will see that I am clearly a winner. Why? because I rarely lay chalk. I bet on dogs. This is a CLEAR  way to make money in baseball. You have confused some poor souls on here with your number crunching. I have said and will say again, I do indeed understand that you are 'weighting' your plays equally. I do not see this as an advantageous way to bet baseball. It's much easier than crunching numbers. Bet dogs and pick your spots on favs, use good money management and you will come out ahead in baseball wagering.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    You have a noble goal, but your math is flawed and therefore you are destined to be a loser.

    Sorry, but you have no understanding of the math I am presenting and worse than that is you are stubborn about your flawed logic being correct.

    Every assumption you have made is wrong.  Dogs, favs, it doesnt matter - I am putting equal weight on all bets I make - and therefore flat betting.

    In order for you to win you will need to do better on your -200 and +200 bets as a group than you do on your -110 and +110 bets as a group.  Does this somehow make sense to you?  Are you better percentagewise when you bet at -200 or +200 than -110 or +110? 

    Because I know you dont realize it, but you are betting more on every bet that is farther away from 100 and you dont even know it.

    One thing is for sure my friend, we both have an ass for an avatar.  

    No comment on the fact that you called me a loser except...check the posts and you will see that I am clearly a winner. Why? because I rarely lay chalk. I bet on dogs. This is a CLEAR  way to make money in baseball. You have confused some poor souls on here with your number crunching. I have said and will say again, I do indeed understand that you are 'weighting' your plays equally. I do not see this as an advantageous way to bet baseball. It's much easier than crunching numbers. Bet dogs and pick your spots on favs, use good money management and you will come out ahead in baseball wagering.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:45 PM ET #81

    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Dave:

     
    That is how I bet, but I don't really understand how vanzacks system is better? I know I'm not the brightest guy in the world, so can someone explain to me in betting for dummies terms how this system is better, thanks.

    If you bet that way, simply put, you are betting more on favs or dogs the farther you get away from 100.

    So if you bet 2 games today, and one is -110 and one is +200, the +200 has much more relative weight and therefore is more important than the -110 game.

    I cant put it any simpler than that.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Dave:

     
    That is how I bet, but I don't really understand how vanzacks system is better? I know I'm not the brightest guy in the world, so can someone explain to me in betting for dummies terms how this system is better, thanks.

    If you bet that way, simply put, you are betting more on favs or dogs the farther you get away from 100.

    So if you bet 2 games today, and one is -110 and one is +200, the +200 has much more relative weight and therefore is more important than the -110 game.

    I cant put it any simpler than that.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:49 PM ET #82

    Quote Originally Posted by nccashman:

    One thing is for sure my friend, we both have an ass for an avatar.  

    No comment on the fact that you called me a loser except...check the posts and you will see that I am clearly a winner. Why? because I rarely lay chalk. I bet on dogs. This is a CLEAR  way to make money in baseball. You have confused some poor souls on here with your number crunching. I have said and will say again, I do indeed understand that you are 'weighting' your plays equally. I do not see this as an advantageous way to bet baseball. It's much easier than crunching numbers. Bet dogs and pick your spots on favs, use good money management and you will come out ahead in baseball wagering.

    I did not call you a loser as in you are a loser in life.  You will lose longterm with your math.  If you want to argue with math, be my guest, but you will lose.

    And your theory of betting dogs is not a good one either because you discount any value in favorites as being non existent.  There is value in favorites all the time.  The only way your theory holds up is if EVERY SINGLE MLB GAME WAS OVERVALUED TO THE DOG, and we all know this is simply not the case.

    For those looking for soundbytes in a readers digest version of how to bet baseball for dummies - your statement of only betting dogs might work - but for anyone serious it is as useless as tits on a bull.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by nccashman:

    One thing is for sure my friend, we both have an ass for an avatar.  

    No comment on the fact that you called me a loser except...check the posts and you will see that I am clearly a winner. Why? because I rarely lay chalk. I bet on dogs. This is a CLEAR  way to make money in baseball. You have confused some poor souls on here with your number crunching. I have said and will say again, I do indeed understand that you are 'weighting' your plays equally. I do not see this as an advantageous way to bet baseball. It's much easier than crunching numbers. Bet dogs and pick your spots on favs, use good money management and you will come out ahead in baseball wagering.

    I did not call you a loser as in you are a loser in life.  You will lose longterm with your math.  If you want to argue with math, be my guest, but you will lose.

    And your theory of betting dogs is not a good one either because you discount any value in favorites as being non existent.  There is value in favorites all the time.  The only way your theory holds up is if EVERY SINGLE MLB GAME WAS OVERVALUED TO THE DOG, and we all know this is simply not the case.

    For those looking for soundbytes in a readers digest version of how to bet baseball for dummies - your statement of only betting dogs might work - but for anyone serious it is as useless as tits on a bull.

     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:52 PM ET #83

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    I hardly ever find lines off that big - but if you can and you are doing it - great - dont change it.

    The sure profits for me add up because of the sheer amount of baseball games in a season.



    That's why I am an absolute person for baseball and don't care for wagering on other sports. I will probably shy away from selling off picks for now but you raise some very informative points that could be useful at some point. I still mean to crunch the math about your original premise.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    I hardly ever find lines off that big - but if you can and you are doing it - great - dont change it.

    The sure profits for me add up because of the sheer amount of baseball games in a season.



    That's why I am an absolute person for baseball and don't care for wagering on other sports. I will probably shy away from selling off picks for now but you raise some very informative points that could be useful at some point. I still mean to crunch the math about your original premise.
     
    lawstyle
    lawstyle
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 291
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:53 PM ET #84

    some math:
     
    "Flat Betting" is defined as a bet where the outcome of each bet is equally important to the bettor's funds.  Therefore, if you bet a team at -1000 at 100$ a unit, then according to the definition of flat betting, the bet would be:
     
    Risk $181.50 to win $18.50
     
    But if you bet a team at +2000 at 100$ a unit, the bet would be:
     
    Risk $9.50 to win $190.50.
     
    If you had to pick 1 to win and 1 to lose, which would you pick to win?  Well, both have equal weights, and a 1-1 result either way would result in a winning night by the same margin, so neither pick is more important.
     
    Therefore, vanzack is right.
     
    If a bettor bets 3 games using "flat betting" correctly, then no single bet will be more important than another single bet.  Whereas if a bettor were to put exactly one unit on each bet, than underdogs would be the more valued play, since a win would result in a reward over 1 unit.  If the bet were on a favorite, then the reward would be under 1 unit.  Therefore, the bettor would be valuing the underdog bet more.
     
    Intuitively, the 190$ bet would seem more important than the 9$ bet to win, but you have to factor in the amount of the possible reward to determine a bets importance.  A formula for calculating flat bets:
     
    FOR A FAVORITE:  Bet Size = 2U/((100/ODDS) + 1)
    FOR AN UNDERDOG:  Bet Size = 2U/((ODDS/100) + 1))
    where U = Unit Size and ODDS = the absolute value of the odds, or the odds without the negative sign in front if there is a negative sign.
     
     
    Go Obama
    Reply
    some math:
     
    "Flat Betting" is defined as a bet where the outcome of each bet is equally important to the bettor's funds.  Therefore, if you bet a team at -1000 at 100$ a unit, then according to the definition of flat betting, the bet would be:
     
    Risk $181.50 to win $18.50
     
    But if you bet a team at +2000 at 100$ a unit, the bet would be:
     
    Risk $9.50 to win $190.50.
     
    If you had to pick 1 to win and 1 to lose, which would you pick to win?  Well, both have equal weights, and a 1-1 result either way would result in a winning night by the same margin, so neither pick is more important.
     
    Therefore, vanzack is right.
     
    If a bettor bets 3 games using "flat betting" correctly, then no single bet will be more important than another single bet.  Whereas if a bettor were to put exactly one unit on each bet, than underdogs would be the more valued play, since a win would result in a reward over 1 unit.  If the bet were on a favorite, then the reward would be under 1 unit.  Therefore, the bettor would be valuing the underdog bet more.
     
    Intuitively, the 190$ bet would seem more important than the 9$ bet to win, but you have to factor in the amount of the possible reward to determine a bets importance.  A formula for calculating flat bets:
     
    FOR A FAVORITE:  Bet Size = 2U/((100/ODDS) + 1)
    FOR AN UNDERDOG:  Bet Size = 2U/((ODDS/100) + 1))
    where U = Unit Size and ODDS = the absolute value of the odds, or the odds without the negative sign in front if there is a negative sign.
     
     
    Go Obama
     
    nccashman
    nccashman
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2008
    Posts: 2378
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:57 PM ET #85

    Van, I never said bet only dogs...and I never said bet all the dogs...check the posts my 'brother'
    Reply
    Van, I never said bet only dogs...and I never said bet all the dogs...check the posts my 'brother'
     
    Super_Dave
    Super_Dave
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2007
    Posts: 939
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:57 PM ET #86

    OK thanks van, so say I'm betting 2 games today and the 1st is +200 and the 2nd is -110. If I usually bet $100 per game. How much should I wager on each of these games/.
    Reply
    OK thanks van, so say I'm betting 2 games today and the 1st is +200 and the 2nd is -110. If I usually bet $100 per game. How much should I wager on each of these games/.
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:57 PM ET #87

    Quote Originally Posted by lawstyle:

    some math:
     
    "Flat Betting" is defined as a bet where the outcome of each bet is equally important to the bettor's funds.  Therefore, if you bet a team at -1000 at 100$ a unit, then according to the definition of flat betting, the bet would be:
     
    Risk $181.50 to win $18.50
     
    But if you bet a team at +2000 at 100$ a unit, the bet would be:
     
    Risk $9.50 to win $190.50.
     
    If you had to pick 1 to win and 1 to lose, which would you pick to win?  Well, both have equal weights, and a 1-1 result either way would result in a winning night by the same margin, so neither pick is more important.
     
    Therefore, vanzack is right.
     
    If a bettor bets 3 games using "flat betting" correctly, then no single bet will be more important than another single bet.  Whereas if a bettor were to put exactly one unit on each bet, than underdogs would be the more valued play, since a win would result in a reward over 1 unit.  If the bet were on a favorite, then the reward would be under 1 unit.  Therefore, the bettor would be valuing the underdog bet more.
     
    Intuitively, the 190$ bet would seem more important than the 9$ bet to win, but you have to factor in the amount of the possible reward to determine a bets importance.  A formula for calculating flat bets:
     
    FOR A FAVORITE:  Bet Size = 2U/((100/ODDS) + 1)
    FOR AN UNDERDOG:  Bet Size = 2U/((ODDS/100) + 1))
    where U = Unit Size and ODDS = the absolute value of the odds, or the odds without the negative sign in front if there is a negative sign.
     
     
    Go Obama

    My money is with a guy with a PI avatar in any discussion of math.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by lawstyle:

    some math:
     
    "Flat Betting" is defined as a bet where the outcome of each bet is equally important to the bettor's funds.  Therefore, if you bet a team at -1000 at 100$ a unit, then according to the definition of flat betting, the bet would be:
     
    Risk $181.50 to win $18.50
     
    But if you bet a team at +2000 at 100$ a unit, the bet would be:
     
    Risk $9.50 to win $190.50.
     
    If you had to pick 1 to win and 1 to lose, which would you pick to win?  Well, both have equal weights, and a 1-1 result either way would result in a winning night by the same margin, so neither pick is more important.
     
    Therefore, vanzack is right.
     
    If a bettor bets 3 games using "flat betting" correctly, then no single bet will be more important than another single bet.  Whereas if a bettor were to put exactly one unit on each bet, than underdogs would be the more valued play, since a win would result in a reward over 1 unit.  If the bet were on a favorite, then the reward would be under 1 unit.  Therefore, the bettor would be valuing the underdog bet more.
     
    Intuitively, the 190$ bet would seem more important than the 9$ bet to win, but you have to factor in the amount of the possible reward to determine a bets importance.  A formula for calculating flat bets:
     
    FOR A FAVORITE:  Bet Size = 2U/((100/ODDS) + 1)
    FOR AN UNDERDOG:  Bet Size = 2U/((ODDS/100) + 1))
    where U = Unit Size and ODDS = the absolute value of the odds, or the odds without the negative sign in front if there is a negative sign.
     
     
    Go Obama

    My money is with a guy with a PI avatar in any discussion of math.

     
    HeadOverHeart
    HeadOverHeart
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 22502
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:57 PM ET #88

    Vanzack, my point was flat-betting is risking the same amount of money on every single play regardless of odds.  $100 flat-betting is putting $100 on every game you play, whether they are +160 dogs or -170 favorites.

    What my example was trying to say to you was that when you bet based on the juice, 160 to win 100, 230 to win 100, etc., it limits you're ability to pull the trigger on favorites that have a great shot at winning.  Now, I am not just talking baseball here, where you need to take dogs on a regular basis, but all sport for flat-betting.

    For example, Chelsea v. Wigan today was Chelsea -500.  Now, a juice better would say, "no way in hell am I laying 500 to win 100.....too chalky."  A flat-better would say, "well, I am $100 flat on everything, and Chelsea won't lose this game, have about a 95% chance of winning, here is $100 to win $20 (or $1000 to win $200, whatever the flat bet is)."

    Bang........if you win, 95% chance of doing so, you're golden with a little extra dosh.  If you happen to lose on a shocker, you are only down one flat-bet amount.

    That was my point and why flat-betters generally come out ahead in the long-run......one less variable to worry about.
    Reply
    Vanzack, my point was flat-betting is risking the same amount of money on every single play regardless of odds.  $100 flat-betting is putting $100 on every game you play, whether they are +160 dogs or -170 favorites.

    What my example was trying to say to you was that when you bet based on the juice, 160 to win 100, 230 to win 100, etc., it limits you're ability to pull the trigger on favorites that have a great shot at winning.  Now, I am not just talking baseball here, where you need to take dogs on a regular basis, but all sport for flat-betting.

    For example, Chelsea v. Wigan today was Chelsea -500.  Now, a juice better would say, "no way in hell am I laying 500 to win 100.....too chalky."  A flat-better would say, "well, I am $100 flat on everything, and Chelsea won't lose this game, have about a 95% chance of winning, here is $100 to win $20 (or $1000 to win $200, whatever the flat bet is)."

    Bang........if you win, 95% chance of doing so, you're golden with a little extra dosh.  If you happen to lose on a shocker, you are only down one flat-bet amount.

    That was my point and why flat-betters generally come out ahead in the long-run......one less variable to worry about.
     
    Super_Dave
    Super_Dave
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2007
    Posts: 939
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 4:59 PM ET #89

    I think I kinda get it now, thanks to "
     
    Risk $181.50 to win $18.50
     
    But if you bet a team at +2000 at 100$ a unit, the bet would be:
     
    Risk $9.50 to win $190.50.
     
    If you had to pick 1 to win and 1 to lose, which would you pick to win?  Well, both have equal weights, and a 1-1 result either way would result in a winning night by the same margin, so neither pick is more important."
     
    That is a very good point, and something that seems to make total sense, but something I have never thought about lol
    Reply
    I think I kinda get it now, thanks to "
     
    Risk $181.50 to win $18.50
     
    But if you bet a team at +2000 at 100$ a unit, the bet would be:
     
    Risk $9.50 to win $190.50.
     
    If you had to pick 1 to win and 1 to lose, which would you pick to win?  Well, both have equal weights, and a 1-1 result either way would result in a winning night by the same margin, so neither pick is more important."
     
    That is a very good point, and something that seems to make total sense, but something I have never thought about lol
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 5:00 PM ET #90

    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Dave:

    OK thanks van, so say I'm betting 2 games today and the 1st is +200 and the 2nd is -110. If I usually bet $100 per game. How much should I wager on each of these games/.

    +200 you bet 66.67

    -110 you bet 95.20

    Excel spreadsheet instructions above in thread if you want to calculate it yourself.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Dave:

    OK thanks van, so say I'm betting 2 games today and the 1st is +200 and the 2nd is -110. If I usually bet $100 per game. How much should I wager on each of these games/.

    +200 you bet 66.67

    -110 you bet 95.20

    Excel spreadsheet instructions above in thread if you want to calculate it yourself.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 5:01 PM ET #91

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    +200 you bet 66.67

    -110 you bet 104.80

    Excel spreadsheet instructions above in thread if you want to calculate it yourself.

    correction in quote in bold

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    +200 you bet 66.67

    -110 you bet 104.80

    Excel spreadsheet instructions above in thread if you want to calculate it yourself.

    correction in quote in bold

     
    tep
    tep
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 4427
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 5:01 PM ET #92

    -146  risk 119 to win 81
    +117 risk 92 to win 108
     
    Right? Using 1 or $100 as a unit.
     
     From what I seem to be figuring is in the long run with flat betting you will win the same but loose less compared to betting straight $100.
     
     
    Reply
    -146  risk 119 to win 81
    +117 risk 92 to win 108
     
    Right? Using 1 or $100 as a unit.
     
     From what I seem to be figuring is in the long run with flat betting you will win the same but loose less compared to betting straight $100.
     
     
     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 5:08 PM ET #93

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    My money is with a guy with a PI avatar in any discussion of math.



    touche, haha

    Looks like my work might be done as far as comparison but I will crank it out, nonetheless.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    My money is with a guy with a PI avatar in any discussion of math.



    touche, haha

    Looks like my work might be done as far as comparison but I will crank it out, nonetheless.
     
    lawstyle
    lawstyle
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 291
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 5:10 PM ET #94

    =IF((B1>0),((2*A1)/((B1/100)+1)),((2*A1)/((100/(SQRT(B1^2))+1))))
     
    Copy and paste that into some cell in a spreadsheet.  In cell A1, type your unit size.  In cell B1, type your odds (-115, -200, +300, whatever...).  In the cell with that formula should appear the appropriate bet size
    Reply
    =IF((B1>0),((2*A1)/((B1/100)+1)),((2*A1)/((100/(SQRT(B1^2))+1))))
     
    Copy and paste that into some cell in a spreadsheet.  In cell A1, type your unit size.  In cell B1, type your odds (-115, -200, +300, whatever...).  In the cell with that formula should appear the appropriate bet size
     
    obx9
    obx9
    Covers Rehab
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 463
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 5:12 PM ET #95

    Great arguments from both sides. Great info never the less.
    Reply
    Great arguments from both sides. Great info never the less.
     
    badmofo
    badmofo
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2004
    Posts: 1017
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 5:28 PM ET #96

    Van, lawstyle and/or lanastasis:


    Can you guys explain how you calculate ROIs in baseball?  I'm a finance guy and understand ROI very well, but don't understand how you are calculating that number in baseball.  I would imagine its a function of the amount wagered relative to your bankroll and the expected return on the investment.  Apologize if this has been covered in other threads.  If so, please direct me to that thread.  I would really appreciate it.

    Also, with respect to flat betting.  What do you think about the concept of always betting x% of  your bankroll?  for example, i always bet 2% of my bankroll on each play.  i plan to use that as my "1 unit" and modify my fave/dog bets to make them actually "flat bets" per vanzacks post.  however, what do you guys think of the 2% concept?  it creates a dynamic unit size and grows when you're winning and ideally provides a shock absorber when on a bad streak. 

    thanks.
    Reply
    Van, lawstyle and/or lanastasis:


    Can you guys explain how you calculate ROIs in baseball?  I'm a finance guy and understand ROI very well, but don't understand how you are calculating that number in baseball.  I would imagine its a function of the amount wagered relative to your bankroll and the expected return on the investment.  Apologize if this has been covered in other threads.  If so, please direct me to that thread.  I would really appreciate it.

    Also, with respect to flat betting.  What do you think about the concept of always betting x% of  your bankroll?  for example, i always bet 2% of my bankroll on each play.  i plan to use that as my "1 unit" and modify my fave/dog bets to make them actually "flat bets" per vanzacks post.  however, what do you guys think of the 2% concept?  it creates a dynamic unit size and grows when you're winning and ideally provides a shock absorber when on a bad streak. 

    thanks.
     
    GWarner27
    GWarner27
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2007
    Posts: 20963
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 5:30 PM ET #97

    maybe i've had a long day, but i'm having real trouble understanding this Vanzack. I know you're knowledge is there, but why don't you post plays? Are you in the business of selling off lines for definite money-making instead of just plays? or do you lock them in and when there is no line movement you just play what lean your originally had if there's no certain opportunity to sell it off?

    ...as for this flat betting, at this point i usually bet 1 unit on each game in every sport. Whether it is a ML dog with the points they get ATS, my total bet is one unit, which often is set to win more than 1 unit back. In baseball, I am trying to limit plays and only take games in situations with + juice that I like, but I'm not sure how the system would work for this.

    So here's a hypothetical situation:

    If my unit is $1, and i'm betting the Twins at +141 today (which i have), and I also bet the Padres at +109 on Saturday (a loss but good for this hypothetical i think). Putting $1 on both the Twins and the Padres would end up being $1 to win $1.41 on the Twins, and $1 to win $1.09, correct? Because I did this, the $0.32 difference from each one winning means that I am truly NOT flat betting because there is a difference?

    So by this model, I should be betting to win $1 on both, which would be $0.71 on the Twins (rounded) at +141 to win that $1, and $0.92 on the Padres (rounded) at +109 to win $1. I did this by dividing what i am looking to win ($1) by the juice because it is +, while I would do the opposite and divide the juice of a favorite (say -160) by the $1.

    Is that even correct? I've officially confused myself
    Reply
    maybe i've had a long day, but i'm having real trouble understanding this Vanzack. I know you're knowledge is there, but why don't you post plays? Are you in the business of selling off lines for definite money-making instead of just plays? or do you lock them in and when there is no line movement you just play what lean your originally had if there's no certain opportunity to sell it off?

    ...as for this flat betting, at this point i usually bet 1 unit on each game in every sport. Whether it is a ML dog with the points they get ATS, my total bet is one unit, which often is set to win more than 1 unit back. In baseball, I am trying to limit plays and only take games in situations with + juice that I like, but I'm not sure how the system would work for this.

    So here's a hypothetical situation:

    If my unit is $1, and i'm betting the Twins at +141 today (which i have), and I also bet the Padres at +109 on Saturday (a loss but good for this hypothetical i think). Putting $1 on both the Twins and the Padres would end up being $1 to win $1.41 on the Twins, and $1 to win $1.09, correct? Because I did this, the $0.32 difference from each one winning means that I am truly NOT flat betting because there is a difference?

    So by this model, I should be betting to win $1 on both, which would be $0.71 on the Twins (rounded) at +141 to win that $1, and $0.92 on the Padres (rounded) at +109 to win $1. I did this by dividing what i am looking to win ($1) by the juice because it is +, while I would do the opposite and divide the juice of a favorite (say -160) by the $1.

    Is that even correct? I've officially confused myself
     
    sammy85
    sammy85
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2008
    Posts: 383
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 5:36 PM ET #98

    [Quote: Originally Posted by vanzack]

    Anyone who brings politics to a betting thread should be totally ignored,especially if you are for the elitist. Not to mention his support for Hamas through his pastor of 20 years. They are the ones who like to kill person right?

    Reply
    [Quote: Originally Posted by vanzack]

    Anyone who brings politics to a betting thread should be totally ignored,especially if you are for the elitist. Not to mention his support for Hamas through his pastor of 20 years. They are the ones who like to kill person right?

     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 5:42 PM ET #99

    Quote Originally Posted by badmofo:

    Van, lawstyle and/or lanastasis:


    Can you guys explain how you calculate ROIs in baseball?  I'm a finance guy and understand ROI very well, but don't understand how you are calculating that number in baseball.  I would imagine its a function of the amount wagered relative to your bankroll and the expected return on the investment.  Apologize if this has been covered in other threads.  If so, please direct me to that thread.  I would really appreciate it.

    Also, with respect to flat betting.  What do you think about the concept of always betting x% of  your bankroll?  for example, i always bet 2% of my bankroll on each play.  i plan to use that as my "1 unit" and modify my fave/dog bets to make them actually "flat bets" per vanzacks post.  however, what do you guys think of the 2% concept?  it creates a dynamic unit size and grows when you're winning and ideally provides a shock absorber when on a bad streak. 

    thanks.


    Good question. It has nothing to do with your bankroll. And also, it only applies to cappers who create their own moneyline.

    For example, Cleveland is -129 on Matchbook right now. Say my capping says the Tribe should be -159. Without getting into the mathematics behind it (save for the actual formula), I have identified a potential ROI of 15% (.146....).

    The formula to find this is the following: 100/X+1
    X = the moneyline

    To find the percent ROI between one moneyline and the other, run the above formula for both moneylines and then subtract the difference and the decimal difference is the percent. For example, if you get a number of 0.146 -- that's 15% ROI.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by badmofo:

    Van, lawstyle and/or lanastasis:


    Can you guys explain how you calculate ROIs in baseball?  I'm a finance guy and understand ROI very well, but don't understand how you are calculating that number in baseball.  I would imagine its a function of the amount wagered relative to your bankroll and the expected return on the investment.  Apologize if this has been covered in other threads.  If so, please direct me to that thread.  I would really appreciate it.

    Also, with respect to flat betting.  What do you think about the concept of always betting x% of  your bankroll?  for example, i always bet 2% of my bankroll on each play.  i plan to use that as my "1 unit" and modify my fave/dog bets to make them actually "flat bets" per vanzacks post.  however, what do you guys think of the 2% concept?  it creates a dynamic unit size and grows when you're winning and ideally provides a shock absorber when on a bad streak. 

    thanks.


    Good question. It has nothing to do with your bankroll. And also, it only applies to cappers who create their own moneyline.

    For example, Cleveland is -129 on Matchbook right now. Say my capping says the Tribe should be -159. Without getting into the mathematics behind it (save for the actual formula), I have identified a potential ROI of 15% (.146....).

    The formula to find this is the following: 100/X+1
    X = the moneyline

    To find the percent ROI between one moneyline and the other, run the above formula for both moneylines and then subtract the difference and the decimal difference is the percent. For example, if you get a number of 0.146 -- that's 15% ROI.

     
     
    lanastasis
    lanastasis
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2006
    Posts: 6770
    Posted: Apr. 14, 2008 - 5:43 PM ET #100

    Vanzack, Gwarner brins up a good question. Wouldn't betting all bets to win 1 unit be flat betting as well? I don't know if I am just really missing something.
    Reply
    Vanzack, Gwarner brins up a good question. Wouldn't betting all bets to win 1 unit be flat betting as well? I don't know if I am just really missing something.
    All Forums | MLB Betting Forum
    «First Previous 456 ... 121314 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 457,391
    • Sunday 10/04/2026 687
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 104,329
    • ***Macwesties * Sun. Oct. 04, 2026 * Week #4 * NFL Football Plays*** 8,499
    • This Seattle Line Is Begging for a Discussion 2,820
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,495
    • __________ 📌 🏈 ?? Fubah's NFL 2026: Week 04 🚩🚩🚩🚩 13,224
    • Lions vs Panthers in game live SNF 1,870
    • Sunday nFl Wk 4 8,148
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 16,845

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.