Posted:
#26
Quote Originally Posted by J-MoneyMaker:
Nice hit but do you really think he's "back?" Had that 1st round been about 10 seconds longer, he would have been staring at his 4th consecutive KO loss. He dominated the wrestling exchanges over the MUCH smaller guy and kudos to him for getting a much needed W. But in my mind, all of the red flags that surround him are still there. That chin is gone, his cardio issues will still remain the same, he looks much weaker/drained since USADA, and he still has trouble holding his opponents down with his wrestling (obviously wasn't an issue against the tiny Gastelum, although Gastelum still did well at times). In my opinion, Chris winning in the fashion that he did sets him up as HUGE fade material if he faces a top 5 guy in the division again. I really hope he gets a solid opponent again in his next fight and the odds are way off after everyone claiming "he's back."
Credit to you, though. Good call and I was obviously wrong. Thought Kelvin would be a bit more active early on and force Chris to expend much more energy than he did. I figured Weidman would have some success early with his wrestling, then start to fade as the fight went on. Then I thought Gastelum would take over and likely KO him. Again, one punch and he had Weidman sailing across the cage wondering where he was. 10 more seconds......
Nice hit but do you really think he's "back?" Had that 1st round been about 10 seconds longer, he would have been staring at his 4th consecutive KO loss. He dominated the wrestling exchanges over the MUCH smaller guy and kudos to him for getting a much needed W. But in my mind, all of the red flags that surround him are still there. That chin is gone, his cardio issues will still remain the same, he looks much weaker/drained since USADA, and he still has trouble holding his opponents down with his wrestling (obviously wasn't an issue against the tiny Gastelum, although Gastelum still did well at times). In my opinion, Chris winning in the fashion that he did sets him up as HUGE fade material if he faces a top 5 guy in the division again. I really hope he gets a solid opponent again in his next fight and the odds are way off after everyone claiming "he's back."
Credit to you, though. Good call and I was obviously wrong. Thought Kelvin would be a bit more active early on and force Chris to expend much more energy than he did. I figured Weidman would have some success early with his wrestling, then start to fade as the fight went on. Then I thought Gastelum would take over and likely KO him. Again, one punch and he had Weidman sailing across the cage wondering where he was. 10 more seconds......
There's me giving credit to both Weidman AND you in my first post...
