• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Steelers-Browns Picks
      • Week 4 Survivor Picks
      • NFL Week 4 Odds
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Investments

    Crypto thread

    «First Previous 101112 ... 146147148 Next Last»
    gambleholic63
    I_Need_A_Detox
    JamieR44
    wallstreetcappers
    meraby
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 29143
    Posts: 3681
    «First Previous 101112 ... 146147148 Next Last»
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 10:00 AM ET #226

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    QUOTE Originally Posted by alangrrbs: I've been a lurker in this thread for a while...haven't posted, but wanted to join the fun.  I have most of the obvious Crypts, BTC, ETH, LC, XRP.  Got into it seriously about a year ago.  I'm shocked WallStreet isn't involved.  Shocked!!!  I'm with JamieR44.  It's a weird space to get into at first, but once you're involved you're hooked.  Especially when you buy Ripple at 1.20, sell at 2.60, buy again at .90, and have the chance to sell a day later at 1.50.  I figured something like that would be right up WallStreets alley!!! I already said why I am hesitant and cannot jump in. This market is not functioning properly, there is no efficient way to transfer funds, buy and sell and get the money out...funds are not safe and the markets are not established at all. I love risk, in fact I like risk too much but this is not risk...this is risk and also jumping through 1000 hoops and waiting for clearance and wondering if you can transfer money if that money is safe, where you can find a market that you can buy what you want, sell what you want and have confidence.  I do not have confidence in the way this functions and I cannot risk money that way. I am not talking about 500 bucks, if I am interested in this I would want 10k plus, and I cant wonder if my money is going to land safely if my holdings are safe and if I can actually buy what I want with reasonable spreads and execution.

    Exactly! When I take on positions in the markets, it's for 20-30k. No way I am risking that much in an asset with a zero intrinsic value. Some of the stuff I read on this site boggles the mind.

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    QUOTE Originally Posted by alangrrbs: I've been a lurker in this thread for a while...haven't posted, but wanted to join the fun.  I have most of the obvious Crypts, BTC, ETH, LC, XRP.  Got into it seriously about a year ago.  I'm shocked WallStreet isn't involved.  Shocked!!!  I'm with JamieR44.  It's a weird space to get into at first, but once you're involved you're hooked.  Especially when you buy Ripple at 1.20, sell at 2.60, buy again at .90, and have the chance to sell a day later at 1.50.  I figured something like that would be right up WallStreets alley!!! I already said why I am hesitant and cannot jump in. This market is not functioning properly, there is no efficient way to transfer funds, buy and sell and get the money out...funds are not safe and the markets are not established at all. I love risk, in fact I like risk too much but this is not risk...this is risk and also jumping through 1000 hoops and waiting for clearance and wondering if you can transfer money if that money is safe, where you can find a market that you can buy what you want, sell what you want and have confidence.  I do not have confidence in the way this functions and I cannot risk money that way. I am not talking about 500 bucks, if I am interested in this I would want 10k plus, and I cant wonder if my money is going to land safely if my holdings are safe and if I can actually buy what I want with reasonable spreads and execution.

    Exactly! When I take on positions in the markets, it's for 20-30k. No way I am risking that much in an asset with a zero intrinsic value. Some of the stuff I read on this site boggles the mind.

     
    I_Need_A_Detox
    I_Need_A_Detox
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 27139
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 10:11 AM ET #227

    Nas is blockchain 3.0 
    Neo dev team founder
    Mainnet will launch Q1
    Will beat EOS and ADA to market as first 3.0

    Reply
    Nas is blockchain 3.0 
    Neo dev team founder
    Mainnet will launch Q1
    Will beat EOS and ADA to market as first 3.0

     
    JamieR44
    JamieR44
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2015
    Posts: 652
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 10:41 AM ET #228

    @Gamble: Crypto is not an "an asset with a zero intrinsic value." The coin reflects the value of the blockchain technology behind it.

    It's OK that you don't believe the two are connected and it's certainly your right to not want to invest in this emerging technology. But crypto isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

    Good read here, if you haven't already:

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/magazine/beyond-the-bitcoin-bubble.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fmagazine&action=click&contentCollection=magazine&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

     

    Reply

    @Gamble: Crypto is not an "an asset with a zero intrinsic value." The coin reflects the value of the blockchain technology behind it.

    It's OK that you don't believe the two are connected and it's certainly your right to not want to invest in this emerging technology. But crypto isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

    Good read here, if you haven't already:

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/magazine/beyond-the-bitcoin-bubble.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fmagazine&action=click&contentCollection=magazine&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

     

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 11:47 AM ET #229

    The coins do not derive value via the technology..you have it backwards. Blockchain will increase in value as its use expands. Blockchain will be used in a multitude of ways (securing medical records for instance) with crypto being just one. Crypto is simply a speculative investment. It gains in price are simply a result of fresh cash infusions...the only way it goes up if people are willing to pay more for it. Strip down any other asset (any s&p stock for instance) and you will have cash, inventory, real estate, equipment and other assets that have a tangible value. Crypto has zero tangible value...only the price value created by fresh cash infusions. Believe what you want, but the history books on economics will not be disproved.

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    The coins do not derive value via the technology..you have it backwards. Blockchain will increase in value as its use expands. Blockchain will be used in a multitude of ways (securing medical records for instance) with crypto being just one. Crypto is simply a speculative investment. It gains in price are simply a result of fresh cash infusions...the only way it goes up if people are willing to pay more for it. Strip down any other asset (any s&p stock for instance) and you will have cash, inventory, real estate, equipment and other assets that have a tangible value. Crypto has zero tangible value...only the price value created by fresh cash infusions. Believe what you want, but the history books on economics will not be disproved.

     
    I_Need_A_Detox
    I_Need_A_Detox
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 27139
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 12:22 PM ET #230

    Market is roaring again 

    Reply
    Market is roaring again 

     
    JamieR44
    JamieR44
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2015
    Posts: 652
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 12:47 PM ET #231

    @Gamble: The coins were introduced as a way to reward those using, and improving, the blockchain. It's open source technology, after all.

    Whether they have become speculative instruments is another matter.

    You can hold out. You can kick your and cry out about the markets (in which I'm fully invested and for many of the reasons you suggest) but blockchain technology, and the coints that are derived as a result, will only grow from here.

    Reply

    @Gamble: The coins were introduced as a way to reward those using, and improving, the blockchain. It's open source technology, after all.

    Whether they have become speculative instruments is another matter.

    You can hold out. You can kick your and cry out about the markets (in which I'm fully invested and for many of the reasons you suggest) but blockchain technology, and the coints that are derived as a result, will only grow from here.

     
    I_Need_A_Detox
    I_Need_A_Detox
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 27139
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 2:53 PM ET #232

    Sold some profits to move in on INS Ecosystem and Substratum 

    Neo
    Icon
    Nas
    Lisk
    Cardano
    Substratum 
    INS 


    Reply
    Sold some profits to move in on INS Ecosystem and Substratum 

    Neo
    Icon
    Nas
    Lisk
    Cardano
    Substratum 
    INS 


     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58425
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 5:32 PM ET #233

    Quote Originally Posted by JamieR44:

    WallStreet: all the makes absolute perfect sense to me. It's definitely a bit of the Wild West out there.

    Well its even worse than this....the wild west is ok, some of the forex and options markets are wacky, that is ok..some are illiquid and not working so efficiently but the crypto space is much much worse...getting into the action is not functioning properly, getting money IN is a pain in the neck, you have to go to one place to buy one thing (and pay vig doing that) then go to another place to buy the second thing and maybe even a third place to finally get what you want and all along you are paying vig to do so...and then your funds are not safe all these steps along the way. And then there is not a verifiable stable place you can trust to purchase and hold the crypto you have to dodge hacking and security issues and hope an exchange doesnt lose your transaction or all your funds. Then you have to take various steps to sell and get the funds back to USD if you are not holding ultra long term and not caring...but then also hoping you dont get hacked and lose your holdings.

    This is not a functioning market...it is a wreck. I am not looking to hop through all these hoops and take risks for the current levels these things are at. If anything I am more intriuged at mining...that seems to have one stop only...you mine and you store it, thats it.

    If this were more orderly and efficient then I would for sure be interested...and what seems strange to me is this space is allegedly created to work around the ill functioning currency market, but it is flawed and messed up itself. They need to get security and funding sorted out, especially since this is allegedly a security centric arena?

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by JamieR44:

    WallStreet: all the makes absolute perfect sense to me. It's definitely a bit of the Wild West out there.

    Well its even worse than this....the wild west is ok, some of the forex and options markets are wacky, that is ok..some are illiquid and not working so efficiently but the crypto space is much much worse...getting into the action is not functioning properly, getting money IN is a pain in the neck, you have to go to one place to buy one thing (and pay vig doing that) then go to another place to buy the second thing and maybe even a third place to finally get what you want and all along you are paying vig to do so...and then your funds are not safe all these steps along the way. And then there is not a verifiable stable place you can trust to purchase and hold the crypto you have to dodge hacking and security issues and hope an exchange doesnt lose your transaction or all your funds. Then you have to take various steps to sell and get the funds back to USD if you are not holding ultra long term and not caring...but then also hoping you dont get hacked and lose your holdings.

    This is not a functioning market...it is a wreck. I am not looking to hop through all these hoops and take risks for the current levels these things are at. If anything I am more intriuged at mining...that seems to have one stop only...you mine and you store it, thats it.

    If this were more orderly and efficient then I would for sure be interested...and what seems strange to me is this space is allegedly created to work around the ill functioning currency market, but it is flawed and messed up itself. They need to get security and funding sorted out, especially since this is allegedly a security centric arena?

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 5:53 PM ET #234

    Yeah. All that but maybe I can turn $500 into 5 million. Unfortunately, this is the dream many are buying into. I am exagarating of course, but not by much with the way some people think. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Yeah. All that but maybe I can turn $500 into 5 million. Unfortunately, this is the dream many are buying into. I am exagarating of course, but not by much with the way some people think. 

     
    I_Need_A_Detox
    I_Need_A_Detox
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 27139
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 6:03 PM ET #235

    If you want something easy just invest in IBM and get 6% returns. If you want to make gains you need to send a selfie to Coinbase, and throw money around on shady exchanges all over the world. 

    Binance is great. Getting Ethereum or Bitcoin to Binance can be a pain. 

    I’ve been doing this for a month and a half and it’s all relatively easy and comfortable for me now. 
    Reply
    If you want something easy just invest in IBM and get 6% returns. If you want to make gains you need to send a selfie to Coinbase, and throw money around on shady exchanges all over the world. 

    Binance is great. Getting Ethereum or Bitcoin to Binance can be a pain. 

    I’ve been doing this for a month and a half and it’s all relatively easy and comfortable for me now. 
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58425
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 6:46 PM ET #236

    Well I'd never invest in IBM or blue chips, I do more research than that...but it is tough to beat the S&P even if you work hard and research.

    The process needs to be simplified and more secure if it is going to be anything that lasts.

    Reply

    Well I'd never invest in IBM or blue chips, I do more research than that...but it is tough to beat the S&P even if you work hard and research.

    The process needs to be simplified and more secure if it is going to be anything that lasts.

     
    meraby
    meraby
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 526
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 7:43 PM ET #237

    In 2013 one of the guys who had couple great inventions in his back pack and precisely one of the two original guys who founded Pirate Bay - came to me as we are childhood friends, and offered me to buy a Bitcoin. He said it was just a dollar two years back and now it is 40 dollars a piece. Let's invest 10K each and get like 250 bitcoins eah  - he said. Ah, no, I said - too risky, all the criminals are in this and this is used for drug buy out etc etc. Besides, I was in the service and it seemed to me kind of illegal for a serviceman to do that. I also said I did not hve no free cash. 
    Oh, no worries bro - he said - I'll give you a loan. 10K. Just let's buy together. There is this dutch guy that wants to sell 500 pieces and asking 20 grand for it. Half half.
    I said no.
    In August 2017 I was in Malta visiting my long time Austrian friend who also is not one falling behind the trends. He was holding some BTC's and was not sure to continue to hold or not since the split was coming up (Bitcoin Cash). The price was 2800 USD/BTC. He said it will never go higher and he better sell. Hold - I said. Burnt from the missed opportunity in 2013.
    In short - all the guys who have no idea about what the crypto currencies are for and what purpose they serve - they all denounce it. And you know what will happen? One day you too will hope on the train the way I did when it was 4K a piece. But, yoj will do it when it will hit 25K. But, eventually you will. I assure of that. 
    Don't be diks. You'll regret it
    Reply
    In 2013 one of the guys who had couple great inventions in his back pack and precisely one of the two original guys who founded Pirate Bay - came to me as we are childhood friends, and offered me to buy a Bitcoin. He said it was just a dollar two years back and now it is 40 dollars a piece. Let's invest 10K each and get like 250 bitcoins eah  - he said. Ah, no, I said - too risky, all the criminals are in this and this is used for drug buy out etc etc. Besides, I was in the service and it seemed to me kind of illegal for a serviceman to do that. I also said I did not hve no free cash. 
    Oh, no worries bro - he said - I'll give you a loan. 10K. Just let's buy together. There is this dutch guy that wants to sell 500 pieces and asking 20 grand for it. Half half.
    I said no.
    In August 2017 I was in Malta visiting my long time Austrian friend who also is not one falling behind the trends. He was holding some BTC's and was not sure to continue to hold or not since the split was coming up (Bitcoin Cash). The price was 2800 USD/BTC. He said it will never go higher and he better sell. Hold - I said. Burnt from the missed opportunity in 2013.
    In short - all the guys who have no idea about what the crypto currencies are for and what purpose they serve - they all denounce it. And you know what will happen? One day you too will hope on the train the way I did when it was 4K a piece. But, yoj will do it when it will hit 25K. But, eventually you will. I assure of that. 
    Don't be diks. You'll regret it
     
    JamieR44
    JamieR44
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2015
    Posts: 652
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 9:10 PM ET #238

    @Meraby...thanks for your time spent in the service...mine is a service family as well.

    Bottom line: we all have different perspectives and different levels of comfort. And I don't think either WallSt. or Gamble have much FOMO in their blood. They just see this differently. And that's good. We all need reality checks.

    But bottom line? I believe the technology is here to stay, the coins will reflect that and I'm in.

    I'm also taking the Jags +7 tomorrow, so what do I know?!

     

    Reply

    @Meraby...thanks for your time spent in the service...mine is a service family as well.

    Bottom line: we all have different perspectives and different levels of comfort. And I don't think either WallSt. or Gamble have much FOMO in their blood. They just see this differently. And that's good. We all need reality checks.

    But bottom line? I believe the technology is here to stay, the coins will reflect that and I'm in.

    I'm also taking the Jags +7 tomorrow, so what do I know?!

     

     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58425
    Posted: Jan. 20, 2018 - 10:13 PM ET #239

    How can the technology stick when it is supposed to be superior and great yet I've never seen more hacking and theft ever in this short ammt of time..how many exchanges have been hacked and peoples holdings lost? Many many...for something so superior and great it is way too difficult to transact and secure right now and that soils the entire enterprise to me. You are supposed to be replacing or enhancing something (the whole concept of crypto currency) and you cant do that or make it easier to transact for those who want to transact?

    Reply

    How can the technology stick when it is supposed to be superior and great yet I've never seen more hacking and theft ever in this short ammt of time..how many exchanges have been hacked and peoples holdings lost? Many many...for something so superior and great it is way too difficult to transact and secure right now and that soils the entire enterprise to me. You are supposed to be replacing or enhancing something (the whole concept of crypto currency) and you cant do that or make it easier to transact for those who want to transact?

     
    jmitseff
    jmitseff
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2007
    Posts: 16283
    Posted: Jan. 21, 2018 - 1:31 AM ET #240

    Reply
     
    I_Need_A_Detox
    I_Need_A_Detox
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 27139
    Posted: Jan. 21, 2018 - 10:10 AM ET #241

    Jmit, you have anything? 

    Reply
    Jmit, you have anything? 

     
    JamieR44
    JamieR44
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2015
    Posts: 652
    Posted: Jan. 21, 2018 - 11:43 AM ET #242

    Quote Originally Posted by I_Need_A_Detox:

    Jmit, you have anything?

    Maybe that's his new coin?

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by I_Need_A_Detox:

    Jmit, you have anything?

    Maybe that's his new coin?

     
    BIGfnPOO
    BIGfnPOO
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2006
    Posts: 18880
    Posted: Jan. 22, 2018 - 12:44 AM ET #243

    JMITT  ,the new Milly maker coin!
    bigFnPOO
    Reply
    JMITT  ,the new Milly maker coin!
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 22, 2018 - 11:30 AM ET #244

    Quote Originally Posted by I_Need_A_Detox:

    If you want something easy just invest in IBM and get 6% returns. If you want to make gains you need to send a selfie to Coinbase, and throw money around on shady exchanges all over the world. Binance is great. Getting Ethereum or Bitcoin to Binance can be a pain. I’ve been doing this for a month and a half and it’s all relatively easy and comfortable for me now.

    The facts are that I bought IBM at $22 per share in 1992. I am still holding it today, so I have a 633% gain in my investment. Over the 26 years that I have owned the stock, IBM has provided value to customers all over the world, providing value to customers and shareholders alike. So maybe it will only gain 6% in 2018. That's fine with me. Investing is not as easy as buying these crypto currencies, making a fortune, and living an easy life.....I suppose many of you will learn the hard way. I own many stocks with % gains similar to my IBM holding that many of you hope to gain in cryptos. Beware though, for Bitcoin to gain 633% from here it will need to hit $700,000 in YOUR LIFETIME from it's current price. That should put it in perspective for all of you dreamers. Good luck!

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by I_Need_A_Detox:

    If you want something easy just invest in IBM and get 6% returns. If you want to make gains you need to send a selfie to Coinbase, and throw money around on shady exchanges all over the world. Binance is great. Getting Ethereum or Bitcoin to Binance can be a pain. I’ve been doing this for a month and a half and it’s all relatively easy and comfortable for me now.

    The facts are that I bought IBM at $22 per share in 1992. I am still holding it today, so I have a 633% gain in my investment. Over the 26 years that I have owned the stock, IBM has provided value to customers all over the world, providing value to customers and shareholders alike. So maybe it will only gain 6% in 2018. That's fine with me. Investing is not as easy as buying these crypto currencies, making a fortune, and living an easy life.....I suppose many of you will learn the hard way. I own many stocks with % gains similar to my IBM holding that many of you hope to gain in cryptos. Beware though, for Bitcoin to gain 633% from here it will need to hit $700,000 in YOUR LIFETIME from it's current price. That should put it in perspective for all of you dreamers. Good luck!

     
    JamieR44
    JamieR44
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2015
    Posts: 652
    Posted: Jan. 22, 2018 - 11:50 AM ET #245

    @Gamble: I think, perhaps, you're suggesting crypto is a black-and-white, us v. them scenario. It is not.

    I believe in the traditional markets, I have my retirement money stashed there and am *very* happy with the the current state-of-affairs. Absolutely no quibble. I can get my money out as fast as I can put it in.

    I think what you're reading here is there's a new investing option in crypto, and one which may well prove quite fruitful. It's full of risk, no doubt, and it's not a one-size fits all. Further, I am not trying to retire on my coin investments. I'm simple adding to my investment basket.

    You don't agree with that, and that's fine. Doesn't make it wrong, just different.

    I root for your IBM, without an investment in the firm. You can do the same for my ETH, XRM, etc.

     

    Reply

    @Gamble: I think, perhaps, you're suggesting crypto is a black-and-white, us v. them scenario. It is not.

    I believe in the traditional markets, I have my retirement money stashed there and am *very* happy with the the current state-of-affairs. Absolutely no quibble. I can get my money out as fast as I can put it in.

    I think what you're reading here is there's a new investing option in crypto, and one which may well prove quite fruitful. It's full of risk, no doubt, and it's not a one-size fits all. Further, I am not trying to retire on my coin investments. I'm simple adding to my investment basket.

    You don't agree with that, and that's fine. Doesn't make it wrong, just different.

    I root for your IBM, without an investment in the firm. You can do the same for my ETH, XRM, etc.

     

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 22, 2018 - 12:29 PM ET #246

    Jamie....It sounds like you are doing this the right way by taking a small % of your portfolio and settting it aside for cryptos. The reality is that you are likely in the minority on covers as well as worldwide. The WSJ ran an article about South Korea (and USA citizens) citizens running up huge credit card debts to buy cryptos. Detox denounced 6% returns as being for people "keeping it safe". Well, I am retired in my 50's and have made a fortune compounding 6-9% yearly returns. Suggesting to people that if they want big gains, "they need to take a selfie on coinbase and throw money around on shady exchanges" (those were his words) is just silly advice. Getting rich is not that easy. He himself said he has been doing this from a month and a half. I have been investing nearly 30 years and I have done very well compounding returns. Some years are better than others, and a ton of research was and is still required. Anyone that thinks bitcoin or any crypto will match the 633% return over the past 26 years of IBM, starting at the crypto prices of January of 2018?....well, I wish them luck.....they will need it! As I said previously, it will need to hit $700,000 from today's price to do that. 

     

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Jamie....It sounds like you are doing this the right way by taking a small % of your portfolio and settting it aside for cryptos. The reality is that you are likely in the minority on covers as well as worldwide. The WSJ ran an article about South Korea (and USA citizens) citizens running up huge credit card debts to buy cryptos. Detox denounced 6% returns as being for people "keeping it safe". Well, I am retired in my 50's and have made a fortune compounding 6-9% yearly returns. Suggesting to people that if they want big gains, "they need to take a selfie on coinbase and throw money around on shady exchanges" (those were his words) is just silly advice. Getting rich is not that easy. He himself said he has been doing this from a month and a half. I have been investing nearly 30 years and I have done very well compounding returns. Some years are better than others, and a ton of research was and is still required. Anyone that thinks bitcoin or any crypto will match the 633% return over the past 26 years of IBM, starting at the crypto prices of January of 2018?....well, I wish them luck.....they will need it! As I said previously, it will need to hit $700,000 from today's price to do that. 

     

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jan. 22, 2018 - 12:52 PM ET #247

    Correction. 100k would be the target bitcoin price. Not surprisingly, there are "experts" out there predi ting it will happen this year. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Correction. 100k would be the target bitcoin price. Not surprisingly, there are "experts" out there predi ting it will happen this year. 

     
    JamieR44
    JamieR44
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2015
    Posts: 652
    Posted: Jan. 22, 2018 - 1:23 PM ET #248

    Quote Originally Posted by gambleholic63:

    Correction. 100k would be the target bitcoin price. Not surprisingly, there are "experts" out there predi ting it will happen this year.

    Those "experts" are a dime a dozen, just like the football/basketball "gurus" on this site. I don't take Scalbrine's advice any more than I take that of the Fast Money crowd over on CNBC.

    I happen to just like the fluidity of the crypto market for daily trade purposes. I think for someone with a little extra computer time, there's money to be made.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by gambleholic63:

    Correction. 100k would be the target bitcoin price. Not surprisingly, there are "experts" out there predi ting it will happen this year.

    Those "experts" are a dime a dozen, just like the football/basketball "gurus" on this site. I don't take Scalbrine's advice any more than I take that of the Fast Money crowd over on CNBC.

    I happen to just like the fluidity of the crypto market for daily trade purposes. I think for someone with a little extra computer time, there's money to be made.

     
    I_Need_A_Detox
    I_Need_A_Detox
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 27139
    Posted: Jan. 22, 2018 - 3:35 PM ET #249

    Gambleholic, why are you in this thread? 

    We get your point. You’re free to go now. 

    If someone is looking to hop in right now, hop in on Nebulas.

    It’s currently $9.24 

    Look at their team/website https://nebulas.io/

     This is a top ten coin 
    Reply
    Gambleholic, why are you in this thread? 

    We get your point. You’re free to go now. 

    If someone is looking to hop in right now, hop in on Nebulas.

    It’s currently $9.24 

    Look at their team/website https://nebulas.io/

     This is a top ten coin 
     
     
    I_Need_A_Detox
    I_Need_A_Detox
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 27139
    Posted: Jan. 22, 2018 - 3:48 PM ET #250

    Who cares about your 30 years of investing experience?

    Nobody cares. That’s who. 

    This is a crypto thread. Most of us have investments in more traditional markets but this is a CRYPTO thread. Comprende? 

    Reply
    Who cares about your 30 years of investing experience?

    Nobody cares. That’s who. 

    This is a crypto thread. Most of us have investments in more traditional markets but this is a CRYPTO thread. Comprende? 

    All Forums | Investments
    «First Previous 101112 ... 146147148 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 451,608
    • Tuesday 09/29/2026 632
    • Serious Streak Survivor Strategies 1,918,211
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,015
    • PART DEUX 189
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 5,551
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 102,479
    • ?? KBO Plays 🥎 15,643
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 28,776
    • That’s the game! This will end 3-2 Phillies win. No more runs. Take In Game Live UNDER 5.5 runs (+261) and Phillies to win by EXACTLY 1 runs (+280) 599

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.