• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Losing aint fun.

    «First Previous 123
    vanzack
    ClubDirt
    dimndimn
    Hawky
    wizardofroz
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 4830
    Posts: 75
    «First Previous 123
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Nov. 10, 2015 - 8:53 PM ET #51

    Quote Originally Posted by sports_Network:

    ever take a home NFL favorite on the -500 ML, and lose by 14+pts, how do you feel?

    ever take an UNDER 7 in MLB with both aces going head to head, and they score 12 runs, how do you feel?

    ever take a NBA 'dog' (+4.5) with your team ahead by 12pts with less than 2 minutes to play and lose by one, how do you feel?

    ever take a NHL [-1.5] PL with your team ahead in the 3rd period by 3 goals, only to blow-it in the final minute of play, how do you feel?

    lately...Miami -vs- Duke, how do you feel?

    Yes Van, these are only the mere tip of the iceberg shared by many sports bettors, there are more (examples) much more, but your point is well taken, regression not only impacts ones ego, it puts a cappers self esteem at bay until the cards turn in his favor, nothing more enjoyable than winning a sports wager, nothing worse than the agony of losing a sports wager, especially when you spend hours handicapping your so called POD, and the LOSS margin is considerable....

    this is good reading, never before have I read a thread with this much integrity pertaining to losing, my read is mutual, and coincidal; one thing you can bank on, it turns around, and you come out stronger, the key question is when.

     


    Keep at it.  The bad losses are enough to make you not sleep at night.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by sports_Network:

    ever take a home NFL favorite on the -500 ML, and lose by 14+pts, how do you feel?

    ever take an UNDER 7 in MLB with both aces going head to head, and they score 12 runs, how do you feel?

    ever take a NBA 'dog' (+4.5) with your team ahead by 12pts with less than 2 minutes to play and lose by one, how do you feel?

    ever take a NHL [-1.5] PL with your team ahead in the 3rd period by 3 goals, only to blow-it in the final minute of play, how do you feel?

    lately...Miami -vs- Duke, how do you feel?

    Yes Van, these are only the mere tip of the iceberg shared by many sports bettors, there are more (examples) much more, but your point is well taken, regression not only impacts ones ego, it puts a cappers self esteem at bay until the cards turn in his favor, nothing more enjoyable than winning a sports wager, nothing worse than the agony of losing a sports wager, especially when you spend hours handicapping your so called POD, and the LOSS margin is considerable....

    this is good reading, never before have I read a thread with this much integrity pertaining to losing, my read is mutual, and coincidal; one thing you can bank on, it turns around, and you come out stronger, the key question is when.

     


    Keep at it.  The bad losses are enough to make you not sleep at night.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Nov. 10, 2015 - 8:55 PM ET #52

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk:

    Regarding outdated models. Heard a discussion yesterday on hockey scoring. Last year, goals per game were at 2.7. When The Great One played, it was close to 4.0!

    This year, scoring is down to 2.68 (number may not be exact, but was pointed out at being Under 2.7). One coach floated out that the goal should be bigger. I guess the Tampa goalie is as big as Gronk. Can you imagine trying to score a goal on Gronk?

    Back on topic, how often do your models change? By week, month, game, year?

    I would imagine trends/streaks/fluctuations are accounted for, but just how often? Just like last night, for example. Baylor at K-State. Baylor avg 60ppg, freshman Qb starting, and Kansas State is a grind/grind/grind type of team............how do you figure that? I don't, I just said, I don't know, I'll pass.

    We all go through streaks. Statisticians call a lucky streak a "fluctuation of probability"

    The idea, of course, is to not get fluct........................

    I tweak all the time.  But I have to be honest with myself....  Am I as motivated as when I was poor and hungry 15 years ago?  I would have to honestly answer that as no.  I hate losing - but I could have 20 more years like this one and still be fine.  My rent and retirement money are in a different solar system than my gambling money - the two worlds never collide - so it is just ego at this point.

    So I probably am not as on top of my game as I should be - or was - and that reality is hard to accept.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk:

    Regarding outdated models. Heard a discussion yesterday on hockey scoring. Last year, goals per game were at 2.7. When The Great One played, it was close to 4.0!

    This year, scoring is down to 2.68 (number may not be exact, but was pointed out at being Under 2.7). One coach floated out that the goal should be bigger. I guess the Tampa goalie is as big as Gronk. Can you imagine trying to score a goal on Gronk?

    Back on topic, how often do your models change? By week, month, game, year?

    I would imagine trends/streaks/fluctuations are accounted for, but just how often? Just like last night, for example. Baylor at K-State. Baylor avg 60ppg, freshman Qb starting, and Kansas State is a grind/grind/grind type of team............how do you figure that? I don't, I just said, I don't know, I'll pass.

    We all go through streaks. Statisticians call a lucky streak a "fluctuation of probability"

    The idea, of course, is to not get fluct........................

    I tweak all the time.  But I have to be honest with myself....  Am I as motivated as when I was poor and hungry 15 years ago?  I would have to honestly answer that as no.  I hate losing - but I could have 20 more years like this one and still be fine.  My rent and retirement money are in a different solar system than my gambling money - the two worlds never collide - so it is just ego at this point.

    So I probably am not as on top of my game as I should be - or was - and that reality is hard to accept.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Nov. 10, 2015 - 8:56 PM ET #53

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurshka:

    Van I hope your not being forced to go back to the corporate world. Its only gotten worse, at least for the insurance business. Government has made it so hard for us that work in Medicare. 

    I do admire your decision and dedication. Things will swing back your way. Matter of time.

    Nah.  Thankfully - I think I have that licked simply by living a very modest lifestyle.

    I never want to go back.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurshka:

    Van I hope your not being forced to go back to the corporate world. Its only gotten worse, at least for the insurance business. Government has made it so hard for us that work in Medicare. 

    I do admire your decision and dedication. Things will swing back your way. Matter of time.

    Nah.  Thankfully - I think I have that licked simply by living a very modest lifestyle.

    I never want to go back.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Nov. 10, 2015 - 8:58 PM ET #54

    Quote Originally Posted by dimndimn:

    Win or lose, everything is a learning experience.  

    Since you've been racking your brain over these last 9 months, what are your top conclusions as to why you are losing at an abnormal rate?  Are you expecting a correction with a winning streak on the horizon?

    I dont think I have stayed ahead of the curve if I am being honest.  Or maybe the landscape has changed due to more savvy gamblers - like poker did when we went from the Moneymaker baitfish days to the post Black Friday shark days.

    Or maybe it is variance.

    Hard to tell.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by dimndimn:

    Win or lose, everything is a learning experience.  

    Since you've been racking your brain over these last 9 months, what are your top conclusions as to why you are losing at an abnormal rate?  Are you expecting a correction with a winning streak on the horizon?

    I dont think I have stayed ahead of the curve if I am being honest.  Or maybe the landscape has changed due to more savvy gamblers - like poker did when we went from the Moneymaker baitfish days to the post Black Friday shark days.

    Or maybe it is variance.

    Hard to tell.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Nov. 10, 2015 - 9:00 PM ET #55

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    Van,

    I'd take a step back and resort to traditional capping (if you are truly using models for every pick).

    There is no chance you can't cap these games traditionally. I know you look for edges and numbers and over the long-run do not believe traditional capping can get you where you need to go, but I'd resort to it now, revised the model in the meantime and then get back to what you like to do.

    I'm assuming you use models for all your picks, correct?


    Having said that, there are some great bets to be had on5Dimes on the World Series of Poker final table tonight...you in???

    Didnt see the odds on the WSOP - but have been watching it.  There is probably no beating the chip leader McKeehan.  But will be watching tonight hoping he trips up.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    Van,

    I'd take a step back and resort to traditional capping (if you are truly using models for every pick).

    There is no chance you can't cap these games traditionally. I know you look for edges and numbers and over the long-run do not believe traditional capping can get you where you need to go, but I'd resort to it now, revised the model in the meantime and then get back to what you like to do.

    I'm assuming you use models for all your picks, correct?


    Having said that, there are some great bets to be had on5Dimes on the World Series of Poker final table tonight...you in???

    Didnt see the odds on the WSOP - but have been watching it.  There is probably no beating the chip leader McKeehan.  But will be watching tonight hoping he trips up.

     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Nov. 10, 2015 - 9:05 PM ET #56

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:


    Agree.  And I have tried modifying a bunch of my core principles.  One thing I cant get past and mentioned in my first post - is coaching and penalties in football.  They should even out over the course of a season - but when you are betting on individual games - they can have a huge impact on your profit and loss.  And from where I sit - are largely unpredictable.



    i haven't watched as much football this season but when i have. i've seen some colossal fuckups in terms of clock management mostly, and some playcalling.  just stuff that makes you wonder how the coach kept his job on the way back to the locker room.  i've made a few threads about them.  i imagine you've seen a few of them. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:


    Agree.  And I have tried modifying a bunch of my core principles.  One thing I cant get past and mentioned in my first post - is coaching and penalties in football.  They should even out over the course of a season - but when you are betting on individual games - they can have a huge impact on your profit and loss.  And from where I sit - are largely unpredictable.



    i haven't watched as much football this season but when i have. i've seen some colossal fuckups in terms of clock management mostly, and some playcalling.  just stuff that makes you wonder how the coach kept his job on the way back to the locker room.  i've made a few threads about them.  i imagine you've seen a few of them. 
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Nov. 10, 2015 - 9:14 PM ET #57

    Quote Originally Posted by ClubDirt:



    i haven't watched as much football this season but when i have. i've seen some colossal fuckups in terms of clock management mostly, and some playcalling.  just stuff that makes you wonder how the coach kept his job on the way back to the locker room.  i've made a few threads about them.  i imagine you've seen a few of them. 

    I have seen your posts but have for the most part quit posting about clock management fukups.  It is still unimaginable to me that it still happens.  And it happens EVERY WEEK, in almost EVERY GAME - at the highest levels.

    Anyone see how the Dolphins F'd up the first half by not calling a timeout?  Anyone see how Pittsburgh lost to Cincy by calling their two timeouts AFTER the two minute warning instead of before it - causing them 13 seconds (for no reason) - and then having the clock run out on them when they were on the 10 yard line?

    It is incredible - but I feel like I am just beating a dead horse.

    Some things have changed for the better.  Coaches are better at it - and things like kicking a FG first when you are down by 10 or 11 has become commonplace.

    But nobody cares.  Nobody questions the Dolphins for letting the clock run in the first half with 20 seconds left when they had a timeout and were on the two yard line (they ended up not scoring on second down with only 2 seconds left in the half).  If they would have called a timeout with 20 seconds left they would have had 4 plays to score.  But the announcers dont know, the reporters dont know, and nobody cares.  

    And that happens EVERY week, in MULTIPLE games per week.

    I have resigned as the leader of this cause.  I gladly hand that over to you.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ClubDirt:



    i haven't watched as much football this season but when i have. i've seen some colossal fuckups in terms of clock management mostly, and some playcalling.  just stuff that makes you wonder how the coach kept his job on the way back to the locker room.  i've made a few threads about them.  i imagine you've seen a few of them. 

    I have seen your posts but have for the most part quit posting about clock management fukups.  It is still unimaginable to me that it still happens.  And it happens EVERY WEEK, in almost EVERY GAME - at the highest levels.

    Anyone see how the Dolphins F'd up the first half by not calling a timeout?  Anyone see how Pittsburgh lost to Cincy by calling their two timeouts AFTER the two minute warning instead of before it - causing them 13 seconds (for no reason) - and then having the clock run out on them when they were on the 10 yard line?

    It is incredible - but I feel like I am just beating a dead horse.

    Some things have changed for the better.  Coaches are better at it - and things like kicking a FG first when you are down by 10 or 11 has become commonplace.

    But nobody cares.  Nobody questions the Dolphins for letting the clock run in the first half with 20 seconds left when they had a timeout and were on the two yard line (they ended up not scoring on second down with only 2 seconds left in the half).  If they would have called a timeout with 20 seconds left they would have had 4 plays to score.  But the announcers dont know, the reporters dont know, and nobody cares.  

    And that happens EVERY week, in MULTIPLE games per week.

    I have resigned as the leader of this cause.  I gladly hand that over to you.

     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Nov. 10, 2015 - 10:09 PM ET #58

    the pittsburgh one was incredible.  there was a giants one that was legendary.  also a nebraska (if i remember correctly) one that was hard to believe.  a few others i can't remember. and that's just what i saw. i think i missed miami.  it's insanity.
    Reply
    the pittsburgh one was incredible.  there was a giants one that was legendary.  also a nebraska (if i remember correctly) one that was hard to believe.  a few others i can't remember. and that's just what i saw. i think i missed miami.  it's insanity.
     
    dimndimn
    dimndimn
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2006
    Posts: 5291
    Posted: Nov. 10, 2015 - 10:33 PM ET #59

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:


    I have seen your posts but have for the most part quit posting about clock management fukups.  It is still unimaginable to me that it still happens.  And it happens EVERY WEEK, in almost EVERY GAME - at the highest levels.

    Anyone see how the Dolphins F'd up the first half by not calling a timeout?  Anyone see how Pittsburgh lost to Cincy by calling their two timeouts AFTER the two minute warning instead of before it - causing them 13 seconds (for no reason) - and then having the clock run out on them when they were on the 10 yard line?

    It is incredible - but I feel like I am just beating a dead horse.

    Some things have changed for the better.  Coaches are better at it - and things like kicking a FG first when you are down by 10 or 11 has become commonplace.

    But nobody cares.  Nobody questions the Dolphins for letting the clock run in the first half with 20 seconds left when they had a timeout and were on the two yard line (they ended up not scoring on second down with only 2 seconds left in the half).  If they would have called a timeout with 20 seconds left they would have had 4 plays to score.  But the announcers dont know, the reporters dont know, and nobody cares.  

    And that happens EVERY week, in MULTIPLE games per week.

    I have resigned as the leader of this cause.  I gladly hand that over to you.


    +1
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:


    I have seen your posts but have for the most part quit posting about clock management fukups.  It is still unimaginable to me that it still happens.  And it happens EVERY WEEK, in almost EVERY GAME - at the highest levels.

    Anyone see how the Dolphins F'd up the first half by not calling a timeout?  Anyone see how Pittsburgh lost to Cincy by calling their two timeouts AFTER the two minute warning instead of before it - causing them 13 seconds (for no reason) - and then having the clock run out on them when they were on the 10 yard line?

    It is incredible - but I feel like I am just beating a dead horse.

    Some things have changed for the better.  Coaches are better at it - and things like kicking a FG first when you are down by 10 or 11 has become commonplace.

    But nobody cares.  Nobody questions the Dolphins for letting the clock run in the first half with 20 seconds left when they had a timeout and were on the two yard line (they ended up not scoring on second down with only 2 seconds left in the half).  If they would have called a timeout with 20 seconds left they would have had 4 plays to score.  But the announcers dont know, the reporters dont know, and nobody cares.  

    And that happens EVERY week, in MULTIPLE games per week.

    I have resigned as the leader of this cause.  I gladly hand that over to you.


    +1
     
    Hawky
    Hawky
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2014
    Posts: 3439
    Posted: Nov. 11, 2015 - 1:47 AM ET #60

    different perspectives, different angles, teamwork, fundamentals. team up and win big
    Reply
    different perspectives, different angles, teamwork, fundamentals. team up and win big
     
    Hawky
    Hawky
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2014
    Posts: 3439
    Posted: Nov. 11, 2015 - 1:48 AM ET #61

    maybe there is another reason you can't sleep.
    Reply
    maybe there is another reason you can't sleep.
     
    wizardofroz
    wizardofroz
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2004
    Posts: 6768
    Posted: Nov. 11, 2015 - 5:36 AM ET #62

    Quote Originally Posted by thorpe:

    Betting on sports gets harder every year.  More info, more smart people betting, better computer algorithms, etc.


     

      What works one year, completely backfires the next.  It seems like I am always adapting to the technology and mathematics, and never catching up, or catching on.

      
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by thorpe:

    Betting on sports gets harder every year.  More info, more smart people betting, better computer algorithms, etc.


     

      What works one year, completely backfires the next.  It seems like I am always adapting to the technology and mathematics, and never catching up, or catching on.

      
     
    Bluefin
    Bluefin
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2006
    Posts: 8485
    Posted: Nov. 11, 2015 - 11:26 AM ET #63

    To win gambling requires  one thing that most gamblers never achieve selective restraint.
    Reply
    To win gambling requires  one thing that most gamblers never achieve selective restraint.
     
    mafia13
    mafia13
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2013
    Posts: 1415
    Posted: Nov. 11, 2015 - 2:09 PM ET #64

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

    Unbelievably - I am happy to report I had a monster day.  My first winning day of NFL was a huge one.

    Started off with Crystal Palace ML against Liverpool (+650), then went 7-1 in NFL - and with all things - I swear (why would I start lying now) - a ML parlay with the Titans, Colts, Panthers, and 49ers.  It was a micro bet - but it paid 98-1.  Unreal. 

    Thanks again for the kind words.  I am chalking today up to Karma. 

    I will respond individually to the questions asked in here tomorrow once I have a chance to catch up.

    PS - one quick note....  I never rooted against CG.  I never wished him to go broke.  I tried to help the guy a million times.  I think it is funny that GG thinks my online relationship with CG has somehow influenced my success in gambling - but so be it - people think all kinds of crazy sh*t.  But I do think in the interest of fact - it should be known that I wish CG nothing but the best - but know he is a loser - and unless he takes the time to learn his craft - he is going to go broke again and again.

    So says the guy with a 9 month losing streak. 



    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

    Unbelievably - I am happy to report I had a monster day.  My first winning day of NFL was a huge one.

    Started off with Crystal Palace ML against Liverpool (+650), then went 7-1 in NFL - and with all things - I swear (why would I start lying now) - a ML parlay with the Titans, Colts, Panthers, and 49ers.  It was a micro bet - but it paid 98-1.  Unreal. 

    Thanks again for the kind words.  I am chalking today up to Karma. 

    I will respond individually to the questions asked in here tomorrow once I have a chance to catch up.

    PS - one quick note....  I never rooted against CG.  I never wished him to go broke.  I tried to help the guy a million times.  I think it is funny that GG thinks my online relationship with CG has somehow influenced my success in gambling - but so be it - people think all kinds of crazy sh*t.  But I do think in the interest of fact - it should be known that I wish CG nothing but the best - but know he is a loser - and unless he takes the time to learn his craft - he is going to go broke again and again.

    So says the guy with a 9 month losing streak. 



     
    Culls17
    Culls17
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 1173
    Posted: Nov. 11, 2015 - 4:46 PM ET #65

    Van keep it up, you are not the only one this season. The worst part is just when you think it can't get any worse..bam.. it does!
    Keep you head up we will go through it.
    After night comes day.....


    Reply
    Van keep it up, you are not the only one this season. The worst part is just when you think it can't get any worse..bam.. it does!
    Keep you head up we will go through it.
    After night comes day.....


     
    bigvern1013
    bigvern1013
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 3051
    Posted: Nov. 12, 2015 - 6:27 PM ET #66

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Simply put - 2015 has been the worst gambling year of my life.

    Ever since the Super Bowl interception, I have been losing at a pace that would make anybody question probability, science, and mathematics.  I have had one major win (Jordan Speith at 12-1 to win the Masters), but besides that - I have been leaking money in seemingly incredible ways.

    I am writing this because everyone on Covers always wins and I thought it would be interesting to some to read that while I take this very seriously, put an enormous amount of time in to it - that everyone sooner or later inevitably goes through bad streaks.  Mine seems to be particularly long and painful - but it happens - and being honest about it here might help inject some reality in to those who might be thinking about moving to Vegas to chase the dream.

    I am at the point where I have questioned everything.  Are my stats models out of date?  Have I lost the ability to see things the way I used to?  Should I not be betting a sport like football that is so heavily influenced by penalties and coaching?  Should I bet more - or less - or quit altogether?

    In the past 2 years of the supercontest I came in 9th overall with a 52-30-3 record, then followed that up with a 51-34 (from memory) record last year - only to have a 13-27 (YES that is correct) record this year.  13-27!!  That just seems impossible.

    I always try to be honest here.  And honestly - the last 9 months have me questioning everything I thought I knew about sports gambling - and my sanity.  But I do know that this is part of the deal - I just wish the Gambling Gods would be a little bit kinder about how I lose these games.  

    But I will keep pressing on and trying to learn all that I can to get better.  I read this site every day - and while my posting has gone way down - I do learn a ton from reading all different types of posts here. 

    GL all.


    Winning games lately in cfb has proven to be a challenge, at least for my account.  Often have wondered if the dynamics of the current game have changed to the point where my handicapping has become obsolete.

    3 things that make cfb largely a crapshoot:

    1)  Clock management is a lost art. Very few run clock when they should, and force tempo when they should.  The era of the hurry-up offense has brought about basketball on grass. Score a bunch and then have no clue how to protect a lead.

    2)  Instant replay is not reliable.   No consistency at all with replay. Seemingly every 5th play goes to the monitor. Kills the flow of the game. NCAA changed the out of bounds clock stoppage rule to speed games up....and they are now longer than ever.  Replay dictates pace, and controls momentum swings.

    3)  The exploding population in the US (and parts of the world) have led us to an incredibly deep talent pool of big, strong, kids that can play D1 football. Talent parity, and lots of it.

    So, if everyone has players, and 85% of the teams out there play identical hurry-up, high risk spread offenses, then we are simply rolling the dice on turnovers and penalties.  

    Personally, I have cut bet size and frequency. Best of luck moving forward. 
    Never Make A Winner A Loser. Never.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Simply put - 2015 has been the worst gambling year of my life.

    Ever since the Super Bowl interception, I have been losing at a pace that would make anybody question probability, science, and mathematics.  I have had one major win (Jordan Speith at 12-1 to win the Masters), but besides that - I have been leaking money in seemingly incredible ways.

    I am writing this because everyone on Covers always wins and I thought it would be interesting to some to read that while I take this very seriously, put an enormous amount of time in to it - that everyone sooner or later inevitably goes through bad streaks.  Mine seems to be particularly long and painful - but it happens - and being honest about it here might help inject some reality in to those who might be thinking about moving to Vegas to chase the dream.

    I am at the point where I have questioned everything.  Are my stats models out of date?  Have I lost the ability to see things the way I used to?  Should I not be betting a sport like football that is so heavily influenced by penalties and coaching?  Should I bet more - or less - or quit altogether?

    In the past 2 years of the supercontest I came in 9th overall with a 52-30-3 record, then followed that up with a 51-34 (from memory) record last year - only to have a 13-27 (YES that is correct) record this year.  13-27!!  That just seems impossible.

    I always try to be honest here.  And honestly - the last 9 months have me questioning everything I thought I knew about sports gambling - and my sanity.  But I do know that this is part of the deal - I just wish the Gambling Gods would be a little bit kinder about how I lose these games.  

    But I will keep pressing on and trying to learn all that I can to get better.  I read this site every day - and while my posting has gone way down - I do learn a ton from reading all different types of posts here. 

    GL all.


    Winning games lately in cfb has proven to be a challenge, at least for my account.  Often have wondered if the dynamics of the current game have changed to the point where my handicapping has become obsolete.

    3 things that make cfb largely a crapshoot:

    1)  Clock management is a lost art. Very few run clock when they should, and force tempo when they should.  The era of the hurry-up offense has brought about basketball on grass. Score a bunch and then have no clue how to protect a lead.

    2)  Instant replay is not reliable.   No consistency at all with replay. Seemingly every 5th play goes to the monitor. Kills the flow of the game. NCAA changed the out of bounds clock stoppage rule to speed games up....and they are now longer than ever.  Replay dictates pace, and controls momentum swings.

    3)  The exploding population in the US (and parts of the world) have led us to an incredibly deep talent pool of big, strong, kids that can play D1 football. Talent parity, and lots of it.

    So, if everyone has players, and 85% of the teams out there play identical hurry-up, high risk spread offenses, then we are simply rolling the dice on turnovers and penalties.  

    Personally, I have cut bet size and frequency. Best of luck moving forward. 
     
    stuff
    stuff
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2005
    Posts: 686
    Posted: Nov. 12, 2015 - 7:47 PM ET #67

    The reason we were so much better in the 80's and 90's is for one the main person or small group that put a number on the games is gone and that part is quite different.The other reason and really most important is there is so much talent going around and not to just a 10 or 15 teams. Kids are starting football early and playing through till college.,thats why the so called creampuff games are sometime big upsets. Toledo beat Arkansas at the start of the season not because the pigs are so bad but also because Toledo can play with the big boys today. I was much better capping years ago with no computer or much besides a newspaper and games on TV. I was at the track years ago and I just knew who was going to win this 6f race so i put the horse over all to make my exacta pay 2 or 3 hundred bucks and left out one crappy horse and sure enough guess who placed, its been over 20 years but I'll never forget it.You've got to laugh sometimes.....
    Reply
    The reason we were so much better in the 80's and 90's is for one the main person or small group that put a number on the games is gone and that part is quite different.The other reason and really most important is there is so much talent going around and not to just a 10 or 15 teams. Kids are starting football early and playing through till college.,thats why the so called creampuff games are sometime big upsets. Toledo beat Arkansas at the start of the season not because the pigs are so bad but also because Toledo can play with the big boys today. I was much better capping years ago with no computer or much besides a newspaper and games on TV. I was at the track years ago and I just knew who was going to win this 6f race so i put the horse over all to make my exacta pay 2 or 3 hundred bucks and left out one crappy horse and sure enough guess who placed, its been over 20 years but I'll never forget it.You've got to laugh sometimes.....
     
    bizkilla
    bizkilla
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 1725
    Posted: Nov. 15, 2015 - 8:41 PM ET #68

    We have a very parallel year my friend. 
    Especially currently. 
    Poker is still keeping me up, but capping this year is rough. I like how your post deals with honesty. The recognition of failure is significant. 
    Sometimes I question, do I really enjoy doing this? Especially during a losing period. Many experts suggest a hiatus. Take a week, a month, whatever time is necessary and so something fun. 
    There will always be action.
    Reply
    We have a very parallel year my friend. 
    Especially currently. 
    Poker is still keeping me up, but capping this year is rough. I like how your post deals with honesty. The recognition of failure is significant. 
    Sometimes I question, do I really enjoy doing this? Especially during a losing period. Many experts suggest a hiatus. Take a week, a month, whatever time is necessary and so something fun. 
    There will always be action.
     
    stl775
    stl775
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2009
    Posts: 475
    Posted: Nov. 15, 2015 - 9:50 PM ET #69

    Hope you turn it around Van. you going to post your euros picks?
    Reply
    Hope you turn it around Van. you going to post your euros picks?
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Nov. 16, 2015 - 2:48 AM ET #70


    Fukk Off Azzhole... You haven't got a clue about what CG and I converse.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    Fukk Off Azzhole... You haven't got a clue about what CG and I converse.
     
    cjm2008
    cjm2008
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2012
    Posts: 22012
    Posted: Nov. 16, 2015 - 12:10 PM ET #71

    Enjoyed reading this posts. Not too many cappers want to admit they go thru losing streaks. Most disappear from this site when that happens.. It seems every season we go thru slumps. I had a terrible one right before the All Start break in June this year. Took a couple weeks off to regroup. The NFL has been tough to cap this season and I have backed off the last few weeks but I have made money betting the college games especially the smaller conferences. Find a niche and keep plugging away.

    GL
    Reply
    Enjoyed reading this posts. Not too many cappers want to admit they go thru losing streaks. Most disappear from this site when that happens.. It seems every season we go thru slumps. I had a terrible one right before the All Start break in June this year. Took a couple weeks off to regroup. The NFL has been tough to cap this season and I have backed off the last few weeks but I have made money betting the college games especially the smaller conferences. Find a niche and keep plugging away.

    GL
     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Nov. 16, 2015 - 12:38 PM ET #72

    i'm guessing with the number of bad teams that covered yesterday, vanzacksports had a pretty good day.  
    Reply
    i'm guessing with the number of bad teams that covered yesterday, vanzacksports had a pretty good day.  
     
    chaloots
    chaloots
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2013
    Posts: 3267
    Posted: Nov. 16, 2015 - 1:16 PM ET #73

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

    Unbelievably - I am happy to report I had a monster day.  My first winning day of NFL was a huge one.

    Started off with Crystal Palace ML against Liverpool (+650), then went 7-1 in NFL - and with all things - I swear (why would I start lying now) - a ML parlay with the Titans, Colts, Panthers, and 49ers.  It was a micro bet - but it paid 98-1.  Unreal. 

    Thanks again for the kind words.  I am chalking today up to Karma. 

    I will respond individually to the questions asked in here tomorrow once I have a chance to catch up.

    PS - one quick note....  I never rooted against CG.  I never wished him to go broke.  I tried to help the guy a million times.  I think it is funny that GG thinks my online relationship with CG has somehow influenced my success in gambling - but so be it - people think all kinds of crazy sh*t.  But I do think in the interest of fact - it should be known that I wish CG nothing but the best - but know he is a loser - and unless he takes the time to learn his craft - he is going to go broke again and again.

    So says the guy with a 9 month losing streak. 

    Shocked to see that type of bet from you, you are one of the few that realizes parlay are sucker bets that don't really pay the true odds and are played by suckers and desperate gamblers, what's next buying points and teasers Glad to see things turning up for you
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

    Unbelievably - I am happy to report I had a monster day.  My first winning day of NFL was a huge one.

    Started off with Crystal Palace ML against Liverpool (+650), then went 7-1 in NFL - and with all things - I swear (why would I start lying now) - a ML parlay with the Titans, Colts, Panthers, and 49ers.  It was a micro bet - but it paid 98-1.  Unreal. 

    Thanks again for the kind words.  I am chalking today up to Karma. 

    I will respond individually to the questions asked in here tomorrow once I have a chance to catch up.

    PS - one quick note....  I never rooted against CG.  I never wished him to go broke.  I tried to help the guy a million times.  I think it is funny that GG thinks my online relationship with CG has somehow influenced my success in gambling - but so be it - people think all kinds of crazy sh*t.  But I do think in the interest of fact - it should be known that I wish CG nothing but the best - but know he is a loser - and unless he takes the time to learn his craft - he is going to go broke again and again.

    So says the guy with a 9 month losing streak. 

    Shocked to see that type of bet from you, you are one of the few that realizes parlay are sucker bets that don't really pay the true odds and are played by suckers and desperate gamblers, what's next buying points and teasers Glad to see things turning up for you
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Nov. 16, 2015 - 7:09 PM ET #74

    Quote Originally Posted by ClubDirt:

    i'm guessing with the number of bad teams that covered yesterday, vanzacksports had a pretty good day.  

    Indeed.

    Bad teams covering is always a good day in my house.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ClubDirt:

    i'm guessing with the number of bad teams that covered yesterday, vanzacksports had a pretty good day.  

    Indeed.

    Bad teams covering is always a good day in my house.

     
     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Nov. 16, 2015 - 8:29 PM ET #75

    best underdog week of the season and i was gunshy and didn't take advantage.  only made 3 bets. 
    Reply
    best underdog week of the season and i was gunshy and didn't take advantage.  only made 3 bets. 
    All Forums | General Discussion
    «First Previous 123

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,355
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 436
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,894
    • PART DEUX 157
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 847
    • Week 6 Money 8,470
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,854
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,793
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,270
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,261

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.