• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Losing aint fun.

    123 Next Last»
    vanzack
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    BWS77
    daysbtwin
    ClubDirt
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 4830
    Posts: 75
    123 Next Last»
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2015 - 6:27 PM ET #1

    Simply put - 2015 has been the worst gambling year of my life.

    Ever since the Super Bowl interception, I have been losing at a pace that would make anybody question probability, science, and mathematics.  I have had one major win (Jordan Speith at 12-1 to win the Masters), but besides that - I have been leaking money in seemingly incredible ways.

    I am writing this because everyone on Covers always wins and I thought it would be interesting to some to read that while I take this very seriously, put an enormous amount of time in to it - that everyone sooner or later inevitably goes through bad streaks.  Mine seems to be particularly long and painful - but it happens - and being honest about it here might help inject some reality in to those who might be thinking about moving to Vegas to chase the dream.

    I am at the point where I have questioned everything.  Are my stats models out of date?  Have I lost the ability to see things the way I used to?  Should I not be betting a sport like football that is so heavily influenced by penalties and coaching?  Should I bet more - or less - or quit altogether?

    In the past 2 years of the supercontest I came in 9th overall with a 52-30-3 record, then followed that up with a 51-34 (from memory) record last year - only to have a 13-27 (YES that is correct) record this year.  13-27!!  That just seems impossible.

    I always try to be honest here.  And honestly - the last 9 months have me questioning everything I thought I knew about sports gambling - and my sanity.  But I do know that this is part of the deal - I just wish the Gambling Gods would be a little bit kinder about how I lose these games.  

    But I will keep pressing on and trying to learn all that I can to get better.  I read this site every day - and while my posting has gone way down - I do learn a ton from reading all different types of posts here. 

    GL all.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    Simply put - 2015 has been the worst gambling year of my life.

    Ever since the Super Bowl interception, I have been losing at a pace that would make anybody question probability, science, and mathematics.  I have had one major win (Jordan Speith at 12-1 to win the Masters), but besides that - I have been leaking money in seemingly incredible ways.

    I am writing this because everyone on Covers always wins and I thought it would be interesting to some to read that while I take this very seriously, put an enormous amount of time in to it - that everyone sooner or later inevitably goes through bad streaks.  Mine seems to be particularly long and painful - but it happens - and being honest about it here might help inject some reality in to those who might be thinking about moving to Vegas to chase the dream.

    I am at the point where I have questioned everything.  Are my stats models out of date?  Have I lost the ability to see things the way I used to?  Should I not be betting a sport like football that is so heavily influenced by penalties and coaching?  Should I bet more - or less - or quit altogether?

    In the past 2 years of the supercontest I came in 9th overall with a 52-30-3 record, then followed that up with a 51-34 (from memory) record last year - only to have a 13-27 (YES that is correct) record this year.  13-27!!  That just seems impossible.

    I always try to be honest here.  And honestly - the last 9 months have me questioning everything I thought I knew about sports gambling - and my sanity.  But I do know that this is part of the deal - I just wish the Gambling Gods would be a little bit kinder about how I lose these games.  

    But I will keep pressing on and trying to learn all that I can to get better.  I read this site every day - and while my posting has gone way down - I do learn a ton from reading all different types of posts here. 

    GL all.

     
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 56261
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2015 - 6:41 PM ET #2

    Losing streaks hit the best of us gamblers.  Example is Dilauded8.  The guy hit like 80% last year.  And yes that number is right.  It is impossible but he did it.  This year he is struggling big time.  I feel your pain man. 
    Reply
    Losing streaks hit the best of us gamblers.  Example is Dilauded8.  The guy hit like 80% last year.  And yes that number is right.  It is impossible but he did it.  This year he is struggling big time.  I feel your pain man. 
     
    BWS77
    BWS77
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 35351
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2015 - 7:19 PM ET #3

    Just fade ya boy CG and get your money back!    Although, he's been winning the last 10 days or so, just proving your theory that anything can and will happen, and it won't make much sense when it does.

    Reply
    Just fade ya boy CG and get your money back!    Although, he's been winning the last 10 days or so, just proving your theory that anything can and will happen, and it won't make much sense when it does.

     
    daysbtwin
    daysbtwin
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2009
    Posts: 1654
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2015 - 7:44 PM ET #4

    Sorry to hear that, Van. 

    I think you're one of the few people here who takes sports betting very seriously and so you're one of the least deserving of a 9 month slump. 

    Hope you turn it around soon 
    Reply
    Sorry to hear that, Van. 

    I think you're one of the few people here who takes sports betting very seriously and so you're one of the least deserving of a 9 month slump. 

    Hope you turn it around soon 
     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2015 - 7:53 PM ET #5

    for what it's worth, and i do take NFL betting fairly seriously, after several very good years, i'm getting smoked in the nfl as well. 

    still plenty of season left though. 


    Reply
    for what it's worth, and i do take NFL betting fairly seriously, after several very good years, i'm getting smoked in the nfl as well. 

    still plenty of season left though. 


     
    JOHNNY_ODAE
    JOHNNY_ODAE
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2011
    Posts: 2605
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2015 - 8:00 PM ET #6

    You are the preacher of money management!!! Hell , I bet against  A.P in the Breeders Cup! I thought it was value. You Sir do not have to explain it to me, we place our bets and know we have the edge. God bless the Underdog!! This doesnt end till Feb!!!!!!! And then the 2nd semester!  You Sir are a winner with ground to cover so get at it!!
    Reply
    You are the preacher of money management!!! Hell , I bet against  A.P in the Breeders Cup! I thought it was value. You Sir do not have to explain it to me, we place our bets and know we have the edge. God bless the Underdog!! This doesnt end till Feb!!!!!!! And then the 2nd semester!  You Sir are a winner with ground to cover so get at it!!
     
    thorpe
    thorpe
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 12927
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2015 - 9:54 PM ET #7

    Betting on sports gets harder every year.  More info, more smart people betting, better computer algorithms, etc.


     
    Reply
    Betting on sports gets harder every year.  More info, more smart people betting, better computer algorithms, etc.


     
     
    t6rider
    t6rider
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 4483
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2015 - 9:59 PM ET #8

    Hope things turn around for you bud. 
    Reply
    Hope things turn around for you bud. 
     
    mr_bollox
    mr_bollox
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2009
    Posts: 14400
    Posted: Nov. 5, 2015 - 11:55 PM ET #9

    kudos to the post, honesty is a rare commodity here as you intimated, i'm curious as you do like to bet on soccer, how you're doing in that sphere 
    Reply
    kudos to the post, honesty is a rare commodity here as you intimated, i'm curious as you do like to bet on soccer, how you're doing in that sphere 
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 12:18 AM ET #10

    Sometimes we all have to re evaluate ourselves. 

    Bill Walsh.
    Reply
    Sometimes we all have to re evaluate ourselves. 

    Bill Walsh.
     
    Biscuit
    Biscuit
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2007
    Posts: 2409
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 12:39 AM ET #11

    Here's a couple thoughts to consider

    ---Systems do go bad sometimes, and you have to modify them, or start over with a new one.   For example, I had an NFL system that worked really well for a couple of years.   One of those years, I won a pool-type contest, picking every single game at a rate of 59%. (256 games total)   The next couple of years, the same system was giving me 45-48% winners.   So I trashed it & moved on to something else.

    ---40 games is a small sample size.   Even 80 games is a small sample size.   Look at it this way........overall, your record is 116-91-3, which is a 56% win rate.   That's not bad, at all.

    Hang in there

    THINK POSITIVE

    BOL

    . 

    Reply

    Here's a couple thoughts to consider

    ---Systems do go bad sometimes, and you have to modify them, or start over with a new one.   For example, I had an NFL system that worked really well for a couple of years.   One of those years, I won a pool-type contest, picking every single game at a rate of 59%. (256 games total)   The next couple of years, the same system was giving me 45-48% winners.   So I trashed it & moved on to something else.

    ---40 games is a small sample size.   Even 80 games is a small sample size.   Look at it this way........overall, your record is 116-91-3, which is a 56% win rate.   That's not bad, at all.

    Hang in there

    THINK POSITIVE

    BOL

    . 

     
    billyloco
    billyloco
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2004
    Posts: 22557
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 1:46 AM ET #12

     learned to bet soccer frm observing you 4/5 yrs ago during the World Cup.

    I lay a 4 team Round Robin n soccer everyday worth 60 units and all have to be within a 127 to 140 range....not posting these, superstious i guess, up 162 units...uno win some lose some.

    NBA..RR the hell outta the unders & dogs...cha-ching for me so far Van.  

                                                                                                                                                                      
    Reply
     learned to bet soccer frm observing you 4/5 yrs ago during the World Cup.

    I lay a 4 team Round Robin n soccer everyday worth 60 units and all have to be within a 127 to 140 range....not posting these, superstious i guess, up 162 units...uno win some lose some.

    NBA..RR the hell outta the unders & dogs...cha-ching for me so far Van.  

                                                                                                                                                                      
     
    RandyC726
    RandyC726
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2008
    Posts: 1545
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 2:01 AM ET #13

    Glad I'm not the only one. We'll bounce back. Everything comes full circle eventually. 
    Reply
    Glad I'm not the only one. We'll bounce back. Everything comes full circle eventually. 
     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 7:06 AM ET #14

    ever take a home NFL favorite on the -500 ML, and lose by 14+pts, how do you feel?

    ever take an UNDER 7 in MLB with both aces going head to head, and they score 12 runs, how do you feel?

    ever take a NBA 'dog' (+4.5) with your team ahead by 12pts with less than 2 minutes to play and lose by one, how do you feel?

    ever take a NHL [-1.5] PL with your team ahead in the 3rd period by 3 goals, only to blow-it in the final minute of play, how do you feel?

    lately...Miami -vs- Duke, how do you feel?

    Yes Van, these are only the mere tip of the iceberg shared by many sports bettors, there are more (examples) much more, but your point is well taken, regression not only impacts ones ego, it puts a cappers self esteem at bay until the cards turn in his favor, nothing more enjoyable than winning a sports wager, nothing worse than the agony of losing a sports wager, especially when you spend hours handicapping your so called POD, and the LOSS margin is considerable....

    this is good reading, never before have I read a thread with this much integrity pertaining to losing, my read is mutual, and coincidal; one thing you can bank on, it turns around, and you come out stronger, the key question is when.

     

    Reply

    ever take a home NFL favorite on the -500 ML, and lose by 14+pts, how do you feel?

    ever take an UNDER 7 in MLB with both aces going head to head, and they score 12 runs, how do you feel?

    ever take a NBA 'dog' (+4.5) with your team ahead by 12pts with less than 2 minutes to play and lose by one, how do you feel?

    ever take a NHL [-1.5] PL with your team ahead in the 3rd period by 3 goals, only to blow-it in the final minute of play, how do you feel?

    lately...Miami -vs- Duke, how do you feel?

    Yes Van, these are only the mere tip of the iceberg shared by many sports bettors, there are more (examples) much more, but your point is well taken, regression not only impacts ones ego, it puts a cappers self esteem at bay until the cards turn in his favor, nothing more enjoyable than winning a sports wager, nothing worse than the agony of losing a sports wager, especially when you spend hours handicapping your so called POD, and the LOSS margin is considerable....

    this is good reading, never before have I read a thread with this much integrity pertaining to losing, my read is mutual, and coincidal; one thing you can bank on, it turns around, and you come out stronger, the key question is when.

     

     
    Goodluck2u
    Goodluck2u
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 295
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 7:39 AM ET #15

    Your knowledge will win at the end kept doing wt you do been in this game for 25 yrs it happens ya'll go on a tear and this yr will be forgotten. Gl2U
    Reply
    Your knowledge will win at the end kept doing wt you do been in this game for 25 yrs it happens ya'll go on a tear and this yr will be forgotten. Gl2U
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 8:28 AM ET #16

    Van,

    Just wait until next year's Euro Cup and the World Cup  in 3 years.

    You're the master of capping international soccer games.

    Best of luck man.  Sometimes we all need a little break.  
    Reply
    Van,

    Just wait until next year's Euro Cup and the World Cup  in 3 years.

    You're the master of capping international soccer games.

    Best of luck man.  Sometimes we all need a little break.  
     
    The Hawk
    The Hawk
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2006
    Posts: 19693
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 10:38 AM ET #17

    Regarding outdated models. Heard a discussion yesterday on hockey scoring. Last year, goals per game were at 2.7. When The Great One played, it was close to 4.0!

    This year, scoring is down to 2.68 (number may not be exact, but was pointed out at being Under 2.7). One coach floated out that the goal should be bigger. I guess the Tampa goalie is as big as Gronk. Can you imagine trying to score a goal on Gronk?

    Back on topic, how often do your models change? By week, month, game, year?

    I would imagine trends/streaks/fluctuations are accounted for, but just how often? Just like last night, for example. Baylor at K-State. Baylor avg 60ppg, freshman Qb starting, and Kansas State is a grind/grind/grind type of team............how do you figure that? I don't, I just said, I don't know, I'll pass.

    We all go through streaks. Statisticians call a lucky streak a "fluctuation of probability"

    The idea, of course, is to not get fluct........................
    Reply
    Regarding outdated models. Heard a discussion yesterday on hockey scoring. Last year, goals per game were at 2.7. When The Great One played, it was close to 4.0!

    This year, scoring is down to 2.68 (number may not be exact, but was pointed out at being Under 2.7). One coach floated out that the goal should be bigger. I guess the Tampa goalie is as big as Gronk. Can you imagine trying to score a goal on Gronk?

    Back on topic, how often do your models change? By week, month, game, year?

    I would imagine trends/streaks/fluctuations are accounted for, but just how often? Just like last night, for example. Baylor at K-State. Baylor avg 60ppg, freshman Qb starting, and Kansas State is a grind/grind/grind type of team............how do you figure that? I don't, I just said, I don't know, I'll pass.

    We all go through streaks. Statisticians call a lucky streak a "fluctuation of probability"

    The idea, of course, is to not get fluct........................
     
    GimmeMoneyNow
    GimmeMoneyNow
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2015
    Posts: 2874
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 1:17 PM ET #18

    Did you lose your wife & kids, mortgage the house, and then put every penny you own on the Mets to win the World Series?

    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=27&sub=102149371

    If not, I'd say you're still ahead of the game......
    Reply
    Did you lose your wife & kids, mortgage the house, and then put every penny you own on the Mets to win the World Series?

    https://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=27&sub=102149371

    If not, I'd say you're still ahead of the game......
     
    Michfan15
    Michfan15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 11316
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 4:17 PM ET #19

    Quote Originally Posted by thorpe:

    Betting on sports gets harder every year.  More info, more smart people betting, better computer algorithms, etc.


     

    This is a good point.  Twitter, more info avail, and the ever shrinking distinction between sharp and square money.  More novice bettors have bigger bank rolls and are throwing more money around than ever.  Have to always adapt to change it up to stay a step ahead and remain successful.  Obviously much easier said than done.


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by thorpe:

    Betting on sports gets harder every year.  More info, more smart people betting, better computer algorithms, etc.


     

    This is a good point.  Twitter, more info avail, and the ever shrinking distinction between sharp and square money.  More novice bettors have bigger bank rolls and are throwing more money around than ever.  Have to always adapt to change it up to stay a step ahead and remain successful.  Obviously much easier said than done.


     
    DAVIDN
    DAVIDN
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2008
    Posts: 22444
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 6:31 PM ET #20

    Keep pluggin...
    Reply
    Keep pluggin...
     
    Kurshka
    Kurshka
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 19156
    Posted: Nov. 6, 2015 - 8:33 PM ET #21

    Van I hope your not being forced to go back to the corporate world. Its only gotten worse, at least for the insurance business. Government has made it so hard for us that work in Medicare. 

    I do admire your decision and dedication. Things will swing back your way. Matter of time.
    Reply
    Van I hope your not being forced to go back to the corporate world. Its only gotten worse, at least for the insurance business. Government has made it so hard for us that work in Medicare. 

    I do admire your decision and dedication. Things will swing back your way. Matter of time.
     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Nov. 7, 2015 - 6:29 AM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:

    Van,

    Just wait until next year's Euro Cup and the World Cup  in 3 years.

    You're the master of capping international soccer games.

    Best of luck man.  Sometimes we all need a little break.  
    I don't think he can wait 3 years, what's he suppose to do in the meantime
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:

    Van,

    Just wait until next year's Euro Cup and the World Cup  in 3 years.

    You're the master of capping international soccer games.

    Best of luck man.  Sometimes we all need a little break.  
    I don't think he can wait 3 years, what's he suppose to do in the meantime
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Nov. 7, 2015 - 4:37 PM ET #23


    Van:

    The Universe is infinite.  Whatever you put out into that Universe has it's way of returning to you.  If you put out Good Luck thoughts and Good Luck Vibs, they shall be returned to you.

    I seem to remember you trashing CG and laughing at CG and sending Negative messages to CG.

    Perhaps you shall reap what you have sown.

    You don't believe me?

    What other possible explanation can you provide?

    Yes, it defies laws of evenness and equality.

    THINK before you speak derogatorily. 

    Positive energy when gambling is a must have asset.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    Van:

    The Universe is infinite.  Whatever you put out into that Universe has it's way of returning to you.  If you put out Good Luck thoughts and Good Luck Vibs, they shall be returned to you.

    I seem to remember you trashing CG and laughing at CG and sending Negative messages to CG.

    Perhaps you shall reap what you have sown.

    You don't believe me?

    What other possible explanation can you provide?

    Yes, it defies laws of evenness and equality.

    THINK before you speak derogatorily. 

    Positive energy when gambling is a must have asset.
     
    Canada_Chris
    Canada_Chris
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2007
    Posts: 2462
    Posted: Nov. 7, 2015 - 5:22 PM ET #24

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:


    Van:

    The Universe is infinite.  Whatever you put out into that Universe has it's way of returning to you.  If you put out Good Luck thoughts and Good Luck Vibs, they shall be returned to you.

    I seem to remember you trashing CG and laughing at CG and sending Negative messages to CG.

    Perhaps you shall reap what you have sown.

    You don't believe me?

    What other possible explanation can you provide?

    Yes, it defies laws of evenness and equality.

    THINK before you speak derogatorily. 

    Positive energy when gambling is a must have asset.

    From what I seem to remember from CG's clown show -  Van and many other vets initially tried to encourage and help only for it to fall on deaf ears.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:


    Van:

    The Universe is infinite.  Whatever you put out into that Universe has it's way of returning to you.  If you put out Good Luck thoughts and Good Luck Vibs, they shall be returned to you.

    I seem to remember you trashing CG and laughing at CG and sending Negative messages to CG.

    Perhaps you shall reap what you have sown.

    You don't believe me?

    What other possible explanation can you provide?

    Yes, it defies laws of evenness and equality.

    THINK before you speak derogatorily. 

    Positive energy when gambling is a must have asset.

    From what I seem to remember from CG's clown show -  Van and many other vets initially tried to encourage and help only for it to fall on deaf ears.
     
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Nov. 7, 2015 - 5:42 PM ET #25

    Quote Originally Posted by Canada_Chris:


    From what I seem to remember from CG's clown show -  Van and many other vets initially tried to encourage and help only for it to fall on deaf ears.


    On the contrary, Van made a bet with his friend against CG lasting a certain time period.

    Negative thoughts against another and other such negative thoughts...
    ATTRACT NEGATIVE ENERGY.

    You can call it coincidental BS but I have been watching this occur for a half century on this Planet Earth.  You believe what you want to believe but LEAVE ME OUT of this because I already know the outcome.

    New Age Spiritual individuals know what I am talking about.

    Others can Pooh-Pa this belief but do so at your own Peril.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada_Chris:


    From what I seem to remember from CG's clown show -  Van and many other vets initially tried to encourage and help only for it to fall on deaf ears.


    On the contrary, Van made a bet with his friend against CG lasting a certain time period.

    Negative thoughts against another and other such negative thoughts...
    ATTRACT NEGATIVE ENERGY.

    You can call it coincidental BS but I have been watching this occur for a half century on this Planet Earth.  You believe what you want to believe but LEAVE ME OUT of this because I already know the outcome.

    New Age Spiritual individuals know what I am talking about.

    Others can Pooh-Pa this belief but do so at your own Peril.
    All Forums | General Discussion
    123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,355
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 436
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,894
    • PART DEUX 157
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 847
    • Week 6 Money 8,478
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,854
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,793
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,271
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,262

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.