• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Darkest place you've endured following gambling losses.

    123 Next Last»
    searchwarrant
    scalabrine
    DoubleUp4Life
    nature1970
    bizkilla
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 4982
    Posts: 64
    123 Next Last»
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jan. 25, 2016 - 10:30 PM ET #1

    Straight to hell and back personally. A lot of stories but I'm sure most of them include extreme isolation. 
    The younger guys have no idea just yet. Careful. 

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    Straight to hell and back personally. A lot of stories but I'm sure most of them include extreme isolation. 
    The younger guys have no idea just yet. Careful. 

     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 25, 2016 - 10:40 PM ET #2

    I only gamble an amount that cannot and will not disrupt my life after a loss outside of a few curse words or a rant on covers.

    If I'm up huge from an original stake and lose, it was their money to begin with.

    It's a nice place to be, especially when you get moosed. You can just wake up the next day and happily bet games.

    It's all about keeping your bet sizes moderate and not overextending yourself. Gambling remains quite enjoyable (and possibly profitable if you do that).


    Reply
    I only gamble an amount that cannot and will not disrupt my life after a loss outside of a few curse words or a rant on covers.

    If I'm up huge from an original stake and lose, it was their money to begin with.

    It's a nice place to be, especially when you get moosed. You can just wake up the next day and happily bet games.

    It's all about keeping your bet sizes moderate and not overextending yourself. Gambling remains quite enjoyable (and possibly profitable if you do that).


     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jan. 25, 2016 - 10:47 PM ET #3

    Congratulations Scal. 
    Reply
    Congratulations Scal. 
     
    DoubleUp4Life
    DoubleUp4Life
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 66896
    Posted: Jan. 25, 2016 - 11:26 PM ET #4

    i have hit rock bottom several times ....


    Lost everything around 23 .. Isolated myself for 2 months 
    BEST OF HEALTH, HAPPINESS,WEALTH, BLESSINGS and LUCK TO ALL !!
    Reply
    i have hit rock bottom several times ....


    Lost everything around 23 .. Isolated myself for 2 months 
     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Jan. 25, 2016 - 11:44 PM ET #5

    i've gone all in stacked once.
    luck to be alive
    learned never try to win without preparing to loose
    Reply
    i've gone all in stacked once.
    luck to be alive
    learned never try to win without preparing to loose
     
    bizkilla
    bizkilla
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 1725
    Posted: Jan. 25, 2016 - 11:58 PM ET #6

    I too never extend myself to the point where rent or mortgage money is at stake or no food is put on the table .
    But perhaps my darkest is what a partner of mine saw and my reaction. Upon the loss of the NBA Finals in 2011, I had raised a roll of a few hundred dollars through the nba playoffs and positioned self on the Miami Heat to return in the thousands. It would have been huge. Ii took a chair and threw it at the wall of my living room, witnessed by who is now my ex. It was the last time I ever did anything like that and had no pattern of destroying things through my past. But I'm also saying that it's not like I don't have a temper. This memory was brought several times by my ex as our time was expiring, as if she used it as some excuse. Even though there were much different reasons as to hey that ended. But this loss put me in a negative light.
    It probably felt like being Joe Paterno. Here you are this stand up guy, You screw up somewhere, which seemed like no big deal, yet in the end get chastised for it. Made me look like some raging maniac. I was simply pissed in that moment.

    As for isolation, not there and nor do I plan to be. 
    Reply
    I too never extend myself to the point where rent or mortgage money is at stake or no food is put on the table .
    But perhaps my darkest is what a partner of mine saw and my reaction. Upon the loss of the NBA Finals in 2011, I had raised a roll of a few hundred dollars through the nba playoffs and positioned self on the Miami Heat to return in the thousands. It would have been huge. Ii took a chair and threw it at the wall of my living room, witnessed by who is now my ex. It was the last time I ever did anything like that and had no pattern of destroying things through my past. But I'm also saying that it's not like I don't have a temper. This memory was brought several times by my ex as our time was expiring, as if she used it as some excuse. Even though there were much different reasons as to hey that ended. But this loss put me in a negative light.
    It probably felt like being Joe Paterno. Here you are this stand up guy, You screw up somewhere, which seemed like no big deal, yet in the end get chastised for it. Made me look like some raging maniac. I was simply pissed in that moment.

    As for isolation, not there and nor do I plan to be. 
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jan. 25, 2016 - 11:59 PM ET #7

    Quote Originally Posted by nature1970:

    i've gone all in stacked once.
    luck to be alive
    learned never try to win without preparing to loose

    Yup, roger that. Being around other humans is not of interest. 
    Prepare for hell when we go all in. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by nature1970:

    i've gone all in stacked once.
    luck to be alive
    learned never try to win without preparing to loose

    Yup, roger that. Being around other humans is not of interest. 
    Prepare for hell when we go all in. 
     
    bizkilla
    bizkilla
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 1725
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2016 - 12:00 AM ET #8

    I will admit though that the swings of poker are sometimes just so tough to stomach, especially when you find yourself on the right side of the equation and the losses keep piling on, that's when I lose it end usually go Phil Helmuth on people. 
    Reply
    I will admit though that the swings of poker are sometimes just so tough to stomach, especially when you find yourself on the right side of the equation and the losses keep piling on, that's when I lose it end usually go Phil Helmuth on people. 
     
    VanDutch
    VanDutch
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2009
    Posts: 15203
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2016 - 12:04 AM ET #9

    Losing big...that's 1/2 the fun.
    Reply
    Losing big...that's 1/2 the fun.
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2016 - 12:40 AM ET #10

    One day years back, I went all in, knowing that the consequences were going to be pretty dire if the wager didn't hit. It didn't. I just sat on the couch after the loss for hours..., silent, disbelief, shock and a mixture of all other debilitating symptoms. Next day had to ask a friend for a ride to the local gun store. There I proceeded to consign two extremely rare collection Colt revolvers and a Browning .40 Cal that is no longer produced. The gun counter lit up up like a christmas tree when they saw the guns., jumping clapping and having a happy ole time about the new arrivals. They actually had buyers placing bids within an hour. 
    I had to walk out of the store with no money at all, sat on the curb and just waited for a public bus to get home with the 3 dollars I had in my pocket. I sat on the curb for 4 hours thinking about wtf just happened. I refused to call any friends, chose to go through the hell on my own. 
    Bus finally arrived - drove me within a mile of my home. Went into my bedroom and slept for 3 weeks. Never responded to anybody as to where are you? Just vanished and never told the story.
    Oh, also had to sell my 1965 GT Mustang, fully restored to a stinkin Mexican with cash. That put me into bed for another month. 
    I drank my breakfast. 

    Reply
    One day years back, I went all in, knowing that the consequences were going to be pretty dire if the wager didn't hit. It didn't. I just sat on the couch after the loss for hours..., silent, disbelief, shock and a mixture of all other debilitating symptoms. Next day had to ask a friend for a ride to the local gun store. There I proceeded to consign two extremely rare collection Colt revolvers and a Browning .40 Cal that is no longer produced. The gun counter lit up up like a christmas tree when they saw the guns., jumping clapping and having a happy ole time about the new arrivals. They actually had buyers placing bids within an hour. 
    I had to walk out of the store with no money at all, sat on the curb and just waited for a public bus to get home with the 3 dollars I had in my pocket. I sat on the curb for 4 hours thinking about wtf just happened. I refused to call any friends, chose to go through the hell on my own. 
    Bus finally arrived - drove me within a mile of my home. Went into my bedroom and slept for 3 weeks. Never responded to anybody as to where are you? Just vanished and never told the story.
    Oh, also had to sell my 1965 GT Mustang, fully restored to a stinkin Mexican with cash. That put me into bed for another month. 
    I drank my breakfast. 

     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2016 - 3:29 AM ET #11

    I took off from life built a roll and decided to make a series of buyins at twelve cascinos across 15 states to vegas.
    I got to conneticut and thought one double up and there would be plenty for everything after bought in to a 100 200 nl holdem table for the 20k it took four hours I was delt aq hearts, I bet 600 folded to three a 987 of hearts hit the flop I pushed 24.5k into the pot one called held j diamonds and ten of hearts. turn 3 of spades rivered the 6 of hearts and I was felted to the two hundered sock money I carry.

    went to ri took a job gardening got a room costed 100 a week
    got into poison ivy had no money for medicine became infected by weeks end . took my pay paid for my room went to a clinic got on predizone paid for the script. predizone drove me mad ended up in a hospital by the grace of god stabilized kept my hands and survived.   never get into that kind of scrape again I play for fun responsibly .... but I guess it takes the meat grinder to learn it
    Reply
    I took off from life built a roll and decided to make a series of buyins at twelve cascinos across 15 states to vegas.
    I got to conneticut and thought one double up and there would be plenty for everything after bought in to a 100 200 nl holdem table for the 20k it took four hours I was delt aq hearts, I bet 600 folded to three a 987 of hearts hit the flop I pushed 24.5k into the pot one called held j diamonds and ten of hearts. turn 3 of spades rivered the 6 of hearts and I was felted to the two hundered sock money I carry.

    went to ri took a job gardening got a room costed 100 a week
    got into poison ivy had no money for medicine became infected by weeks end . took my pay paid for my room went to a clinic got on predizone paid for the script. predizone drove me mad ended up in a hospital by the grace of god stabilized kept my hands and survived.   never get into that kind of scrape again I play for fun responsibly .... but I guess it takes the meat grinder to learn it
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2016 - 9:20 AM ET #12

    Those are crazy stories fellas. Mine isn't sh!t compared to you fellas, but I'll share nonetheless. 

    As an adult, it's easier for me to know and understand my limitations and I only gamble with discretionary income.  I didn't understand this when I started when I was 17/18 and in college.  

    I worked full time for Samsung Electronics making $20 an hour as a phone dog, which as a lot for a college kid ($580 a week).  I was introduced to sports wagering from a degenerate old-timer who I played 5 card stud every Wednesday night after my class.

    5 timers turned into 10 times.  10 timers turned into $100 per wager.  I had a nice nest-egg saved even though I had slightly more losing weeks than winning.

    Anyways, like an idiot, cocky @sshole who had more money than most college kids, I was dropping $1k-$2k wagers.  This is not normal for a 17/18 year old unless you're a trust fund baby.  I nearly lost all of my savings (roughly $14k and change) within a 2 month period (damn you NBA and March Madness), and had to cower to my mother for money for food so I could eat/get gas/park.  Nothing is more humiliating than pleading with your tail between your legs asking mommy for money.  She wasn't too mad b/c I had a scholarship and I paid the remainder of the tuition myself.

    I was extremely depressed to say the least though.  I got a stern talking-to.  I just wanted to lay in bed but I had work during the day and school at night.  It helped me get my mind off of things but I didn't want to socialize with anyone.  People noticed the change in character.  I was irritable and tired; didn't want to socialize with anyone.  My lady friend at the time didn't want to have anything to do with me b/c I took indirectly took my frustration out on her by constantly snapping at her.  I didn't want to socialize with anyone for weeks.  

    Ultimately, I learned my lesson and drop a $50 per wager if I'm feeling really strong about a team.  No way will I go through that again.  Glad I learned at a really young age.  
    Reply
    Those are crazy stories fellas. Mine isn't sh!t compared to you fellas, but I'll share nonetheless. 

    As an adult, it's easier for me to know and understand my limitations and I only gamble with discretionary income.  I didn't understand this when I started when I was 17/18 and in college.  

    I worked full time for Samsung Electronics making $20 an hour as a phone dog, which as a lot for a college kid ($580 a week).  I was introduced to sports wagering from a degenerate old-timer who I played 5 card stud every Wednesday night after my class.

    5 timers turned into 10 times.  10 timers turned into $100 per wager.  I had a nice nest-egg saved even though I had slightly more losing weeks than winning.

    Anyways, like an idiot, cocky @sshole who had more money than most college kids, I was dropping $1k-$2k wagers.  This is not normal for a 17/18 year old unless you're a trust fund baby.  I nearly lost all of my savings (roughly $14k and change) within a 2 month period (damn you NBA and March Madness), and had to cower to my mother for money for food so I could eat/get gas/park.  Nothing is more humiliating than pleading with your tail between your legs asking mommy for money.  She wasn't too mad b/c I had a scholarship and I paid the remainder of the tuition myself.

    I was extremely depressed to say the least though.  I got a stern talking-to.  I just wanted to lay in bed but I had work during the day and school at night.  It helped me get my mind off of things but I didn't want to socialize with anyone.  People noticed the change in character.  I was irritable and tired; didn't want to socialize with anyone.  My lady friend at the time didn't want to have anything to do with me b/c I took indirectly took my frustration out on her by constantly snapping at her.  I didn't want to socialize with anyone for weeks.  

    Ultimately, I learned my lesson and drop a $50 per wager if I'm feeling really strong about a team.  No way will I go through that again.  Glad I learned at a really young age.  
     
    GimmeMoneyNow
    GimmeMoneyNow
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2015
    Posts: 2874
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2016 - 9:44 AM ET #13

    My darkest and scariest gambling stories only involved dicey wild women I'd meet at dive bars at 2:00a.m. in my late teens to mid twenties.....

    I've never bet more than I could afford to lose, whether that be $5 to my dad as a punk kid, or $5,000 now. I get enough enjoyment watching the games, or playing poker, or what have you. I guess just like any other habit, moderation is the key. Just like I know people who smoke maybe one or two cigarettes a month with a cocktail, and I also know people who go through 2 packs a day like nothing.

    Good luck to all you gamblers out there, just know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.....
    Reply
    My darkest and scariest gambling stories only involved dicey wild women I'd meet at dive bars at 2:00a.m. in my late teens to mid twenties.....

    I've never bet more than I could afford to lose, whether that be $5 to my dad as a punk kid, or $5,000 now. I get enough enjoyment watching the games, or playing poker, or what have you. I guess just like any other habit, moderation is the key. Just like I know people who smoke maybe one or two cigarettes a month with a cocktail, and I also know people who go through 2 packs a day like nothing.

    Good luck to all you gamblers out there, just know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.....
     
    thecentaur
    thecentaur
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2012
    Posts: 2049
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2016 - 1:04 PM ET #14

    When i was early twenties I read some bj books and especially paid attention to "Million dollar blackjack" by Ken Uston

    I was in a relationship with a real doll at the time, a 19 yr old knockout who loved to make love and worshipped me.

    I would keep her up at night with the sound of shuffling cards to practice my 3 level count (counting cards).  Took her around Mississippi but of course she was under age so she couldn't go in the casinos.  So while I'm counting cards inside, she's out in the lobby alone, bored or getting hit on by fool who hope she's a hooker.

    The thing about counting cards is everything is against you.  People jumping in and out of hands or blowing smoke in your face, dealers hustling for tips or just generally wanting you to lose, and pit management shuffling up, burning cards, etc. once you start betting big in a + shoe and winning. 

    So while I'm destroying my bankroll and sanity in the casino, I'm destroying my personal life outside it.

    Story doesn't have a happy ending either.  That girl is long gone.  Married now but now my vice is fantasy.  I make money with it but it' an obsession, and it keeps me from doing something productive which I and my family can be proud of.  Thanks Obama
    Reply
    When i was early twenties I read some bj books and especially paid attention to "Million dollar blackjack" by Ken Uston

    I was in a relationship with a real doll at the time, a 19 yr old knockout who loved to make love and worshipped me.

    I would keep her up at night with the sound of shuffling cards to practice my 3 level count (counting cards).  Took her around Mississippi but of course she was under age so she couldn't go in the casinos.  So while I'm counting cards inside, she's out in the lobby alone, bored or getting hit on by fool who hope she's a hooker.

    The thing about counting cards is everything is against you.  People jumping in and out of hands or blowing smoke in your face, dealers hustling for tips or just generally wanting you to lose, and pit management shuffling up, burning cards, etc. once you start betting big in a + shoe and winning. 

    So while I'm destroying my bankroll and sanity in the casino, I'm destroying my personal life outside it.

    Story doesn't have a happy ending either.  That girl is long gone.  Married now but now my vice is fantasy.  I make money with it but it' an obsession, and it keeps me from doing something productive which I and my family can be proud of.  Thanks Obama
     
    earthWake
    earthWake
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2011
    Posts: 6196
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2016 - 5:25 PM ET #15

    Well I'm a pretty good poker player, scratch that great poker player. I'm so good I know the cards that my law professor and all his buddies are holding after only watching the game for a few minutes.

    So I had a pretty good run of cards and decided to head to Atlantic City. Saw the great Johnny Chan at a table and decided I was going to put my life roll on the table. Played slow for like an hour until the time came. Chan raises, I repop with nothing. Thinking I'm a tourist he repops me. I shove all in, he thinks about it and folds. He asks me what I had, and I tell him "I forget John"

    Fast forward a few weeks, I decide to take on Teddy KGB heads up with my life roll.  IDK why but that dude loves Oreos and stacked me. So I had a few days to pay up or he would kill me, and I think he meant it. So yeah, it was pretty bad.


    Reply
    Well I'm a pretty good poker player, scratch that great poker player. I'm so good I know the cards that my law professor and all his buddies are holding after only watching the game for a few minutes.

    So I had a pretty good run of cards and decided to head to Atlantic City. Saw the great Johnny Chan at a table and decided I was going to put my life roll on the table. Played slow for like an hour until the time came. Chan raises, I repop with nothing. Thinking I'm a tourist he repops me. I shove all in, he thinks about it and folds. He asks me what I had, and I tell him "I forget John"

    Fast forward a few weeks, I decide to take on Teddy KGB heads up with my life roll.  IDK why but that dude loves Oreos and stacked me. So I had a few days to pay up or he would kill me, and I think he meant it. So yeah, it was pretty bad.


     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2016 - 6:14 PM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:

    Well I'm a pretty good poker player, scratch that great poker player. I'm so good I know the cards that my law professor and all his buddies are holding after only watching the game for a few minutes.

    So I had a pretty good run of cards and decided to head to Atlantic City. Saw the great Johnny Chan at a table and decided I was going to put my life roll on the table. Played slow for like an hour until the time came. Chan raises, I repop with nothing. Thinking I'm a tourist he repops me. I shove all in, he thinks about it and folds. He asks me what I had, and I tell him "I forget John"

    Fast forward a few weeks, I decide to take on Teddy KGB heads up with my life roll.  IDK why but that dude loves Oreos and stacked me. So I had a few days to pay up or he would kill me, and I think he meant it. So yeah, it was pretty bad.



    so your a lawyer now good for you lolol
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:

    Well I'm a pretty good poker player, scratch that great poker player. I'm so good I know the cards that my law professor and all his buddies are holding after only watching the game for a few minutes.

    So I had a pretty good run of cards and decided to head to Atlantic City. Saw the great Johnny Chan at a table and decided I was going to put my life roll on the table. Played slow for like an hour until the time came. Chan raises, I repop with nothing. Thinking I'm a tourist he repops me. I shove all in, he thinks about it and folds. He asks me what I had, and I tell him "I forget John"

    Fast forward a few weeks, I decide to take on Teddy KGB heads up with my life roll.  IDK why but that dude loves Oreos and stacked me. So I had a few days to pay up or he would kill me, and I think he meant it. So yeah, it was pretty bad.



    so your a lawyer now good for you lolol
     
    thecentaur
    thecentaur
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2012
    Posts: 2049
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2016 - 7:38 PM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:

    Well I'm a pretty good poker player, scratch that great poker player. I'm so good I know the cards that my law professor and all his buddies are holding after only watching the game for a few minutes.

    So I had a pretty good run of cards and decided to head to Atlantic City. Saw the great Johnny Chan at a table and decided I was going to put my life roll on the table. Played slow for like an hour until the time came. Chan raises, I repop with nothing. Thinking I'm a tourist he repops me. I shove all in, he thinks about it and folds. He asks me what I had, and I tell him "I forget John"

    Fast forward a few weeks, I decide to take on Teddy KGB heads up with my life roll.  IDK why but that dude loves Oreos and stacked me. So I had a few days to pay up or he would kill me, and I think he meant it. So yeah, it was pretty bad.



    Did you get to screw Gretchen Mol and Famke Janssen too?  If so I don't feel sorry for you
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by earthWake:

    Well I'm a pretty good poker player, scratch that great poker player. I'm so good I know the cards that my law professor and all his buddies are holding after only watching the game for a few minutes.

    So I had a pretty good run of cards and decided to head to Atlantic City. Saw the great Johnny Chan at a table and decided I was going to put my life roll on the table. Played slow for like an hour until the time came. Chan raises, I repop with nothing. Thinking I'm a tourist he repops me. I shove all in, he thinks about it and folds. He asks me what I had, and I tell him "I forget John"

    Fast forward a few weeks, I decide to take on Teddy KGB heads up with my life roll.  IDK why but that dude loves Oreos and stacked me. So I had a few days to pay up or he would kill me, and I think he meant it. So yeah, it was pretty bad.



    Did you get to screw Gretchen Mol and Famke Janssen too?  If so I don't feel sorry for you
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2016 - 9:45 PM ET #18

    Looks like a few story tellers are way above us degenerates that know the horror. Intense stories gentlemen that posted, you know who you are. 
    Reply
    Looks like a few story tellers are way above us degenerates that know the horror. Intense stories gentlemen that posted, you know who you are. 
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jan. 27, 2016 - 9:21 AM ET #19

    That's a rough story Search and it made me cringe.


    Reply
    That's a rough story Search and it made me cringe.


     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Jan. 27, 2016 - 9:35 AM ET #20

    earth wake is citing the plot of movie grinders...
    Reply
    earth wake is citing the plot of movie grinders...
     
    Nut_Flopper
    Nut_Flopper
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 2413
    Posted: Jan. 27, 2016 - 1:24 PM ET #21

    Quote Originally Posted by nature1970:

    earth wake is citing the plot of movie grinders...


    Classic poker movie staring Matt Damon and Edward Norton "grinders"...

    Never had major losses only because I don't put it all out there. Have been down on my luck once or twice and went all in because it wouldn't have made a major difference if I lost and I was already in a dark place. I had already crawled in my hole.


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by nature1970:

    earth wake is citing the plot of movie grinders...


    Classic poker movie staring Matt Damon and Edward Norton "grinders"...

    Never had major losses only because I don't put it all out there. Have been down on my luck once or twice and went all in because it wouldn't have made a major difference if I lost and I was already in a dark place. I had already crawled in my hole.


     
    bigvern1013
    bigvern1013
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 3051
    Posted: Jan. 27, 2016 - 2:32 PM ET #22

    I was in the family construction business from 2002 to 2010.  Had a lot of money in my mid 20's, and went through the big crash in 2008-10.

    In my mid 20's I was flush with cash....used to go to Tahoe in the spring and Vegas in the Fall and Winter.  Blackjack mostly, with some sports mixed in.  I remember coming home either scratch or + money.....the money didn't matter, just the fun; and oddly enough that comfort led to pretty good decision making.

    Fast forward to the sub-prime meltdown in 2008.  I couldn't buy a winner.  The trips to Nevada for fun were out, so I decided to bet bigger from home to fill the void.  Bad idea.  Lost a huge bet in NCAA FB...remember it well....BYU @ TCU, midweek game.  BYU opened as 1 point road chalk, and the number went  over zero to TCU -2.  My eyes lit up......and TCU lit up BYU.  Andy Dalton and Jeremy Kerley. Kerley was everywhere.  Lost that bet by three td's.  I wound up putting my hand through the bedroom door. God I was pisssed.

    Still didn't learn.....wound up hitting bottom that year betting 1500$ bucks on the second half line of the Division 3 championship Alonzo Stagg Bowl.....MT Union vs Wisconsin Whitewater.  Mt Union was a 21 pt favorite...down by 8 at half....the oddsmakers hung Union -8.5 for the second half.  Again, my eyes lit up, and I hammered it.  MT Union fumbled inside of the 10 yd line twice, and they lost.

    Today I still bet, but no where as big as I used to.....just have no desire to go into the pressure cooker anymore.  When you bet a large amount on a game, every little thing is magnified.  Too much pressure, and I don't have the stomach for it anymore.

    The one thing I have learned:  If you NEED the bet to win, it NEVER will.  Desperation is a stinky perfume......and if you are desperate for a win, you have already lost.

    Never Make A Winner A Loser. Never.
    Reply

    I was in the family construction business from 2002 to 2010.  Had a lot of money in my mid 20's, and went through the big crash in 2008-10.

    In my mid 20's I was flush with cash....used to go to Tahoe in the spring and Vegas in the Fall and Winter.  Blackjack mostly, with some sports mixed in.  I remember coming home either scratch or + money.....the money didn't matter, just the fun; and oddly enough that comfort led to pretty good decision making.

    Fast forward to the sub-prime meltdown in 2008.  I couldn't buy a winner.  The trips to Nevada for fun were out, so I decided to bet bigger from home to fill the void.  Bad idea.  Lost a huge bet in NCAA FB...remember it well....BYU @ TCU, midweek game.  BYU opened as 1 point road chalk, and the number went  over zero to TCU -2.  My eyes lit up......and TCU lit up BYU.  Andy Dalton and Jeremy Kerley. Kerley was everywhere.  Lost that bet by three td's.  I wound up putting my hand through the bedroom door. God I was pisssed.

    Still didn't learn.....wound up hitting bottom that year betting 1500$ bucks on the second half line of the Division 3 championship Alonzo Stagg Bowl.....MT Union vs Wisconsin Whitewater.  Mt Union was a 21 pt favorite...down by 8 at half....the oddsmakers hung Union -8.5 for the second half.  Again, my eyes lit up, and I hammered it.  MT Union fumbled inside of the 10 yd line twice, and they lost.

    Today I still bet, but no where as big as I used to.....just have no desire to go into the pressure cooker anymore.  When you bet a large amount on a game, every little thing is magnified.  Too much pressure, and I don't have the stomach for it anymore.

    The one thing I have learned:  If you NEED the bet to win, it NEVER will.  Desperation is a stinky perfume......and if you are desperate for a win, you have already lost.

     
    earthWake
    earthWake
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2011
    Posts: 6196
    Posted: Jan. 27, 2016 - 6:42 PM ET #23

    Props to those who got the Rounders joke.

    I've never been in a dark place from gambling. I'm pretty young and I usually deposit 50-100 in an online account build it up slow. Obviously there has been a few times I've lost 600-700 in a day but it was all profit but that was a long time ago when money had no object because I was living at home. When I go to the casino to play poker I never take more than 400, which is 2 buy ins if I play 1-2. If I lose that I bounce. However, my worst experience by far gambling was this. I use to bet like 200-500 a game when I was in highschool. I know a chit-ton about sports but am an average sports bettor because betting is more about sports knowledge, it is about control and money management. 

    Anyway, I remember like it was yesterday. I had 275$ on the Nuggets +275 in Detroit but in Detroits heyday, and when my favorite athlete of all time was on the Nuggets. Allen Iverson. Nuggets were in control all game, up 3 with under 2 seconds left AND THEY WERE INBOUNDING THE BALL....then this happen

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXnNZjM9BRc

    Rasheed damn Wallace. Steals in the inbounds pass and nails a 70 footer at the buzzer. So that shot ended up costing me close to 1000$ and I was like 16. I was speechless. Literally speechless. My mouth could not form words. I sat in stunned silence the entire overtime while I watched Rasheed Wallace bang another couple of threes.

    To this day my friends still joke about Rasheed Wallace, and one even bought me a poster on my birthday. Back in college when we use to see a hot girl who was 17, we would joke we wanted to "Rasheed Wallace her." Which meant bang her at the buzzer the second she turned 18. Ah, good times. That was a dark day where I couldn't even form words, but Ive grown up and only bet what I can lose. I still get pissed and rant, or slam the table when I get sucked out on the river but nothing comes close to losing 1000$ because a team CAN'T INBOUND THE BALL.

    All they had to do was throw the ball towards their basket and the game is over. BRUTAL. BRUTAL.
    Reply
    Props to those who got the Rounders joke.

    I've never been in a dark place from gambling. I'm pretty young and I usually deposit 50-100 in an online account build it up slow. Obviously there has been a few times I've lost 600-700 in a day but it was all profit but that was a long time ago when money had no object because I was living at home. When I go to the casino to play poker I never take more than 400, which is 2 buy ins if I play 1-2. If I lose that I bounce. However, my worst experience by far gambling was this. I use to bet like 200-500 a game when I was in highschool. I know a chit-ton about sports but am an average sports bettor because betting is more about sports knowledge, it is about control and money management. 

    Anyway, I remember like it was yesterday. I had 275$ on the Nuggets +275 in Detroit but in Detroits heyday, and when my favorite athlete of all time was on the Nuggets. Allen Iverson. Nuggets were in control all game, up 3 with under 2 seconds left AND THEY WERE INBOUNDING THE BALL....then this happen

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXnNZjM9BRc

    Rasheed damn Wallace. Steals in the inbounds pass and nails a 70 footer at the buzzer. So that shot ended up costing me close to 1000$ and I was like 16. I was speechless. Literally speechless. My mouth could not form words. I sat in stunned silence the entire overtime while I watched Rasheed Wallace bang another couple of threes.

    To this day my friends still joke about Rasheed Wallace, and one even bought me a poster on my birthday. Back in college when we use to see a hot girl who was 17, we would joke we wanted to "Rasheed Wallace her." Which meant bang her at the buzzer the second she turned 18. Ah, good times. That was a dark day where I couldn't even form words, but Ive grown up and only bet what I can lose. I still get pissed and rant, or slam the table when I get sucked out on the river but nothing comes close to losing 1000$ because a team CAN'T INBOUND THE BALL.

    All they had to do was throw the ball towards their basket and the game is over. BRUTAL. BRUTAL.
     
    Golazo
    Golazo
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2015
    Posts: 454
    Posted: Jan. 27, 2016 - 8:52 PM ET #24

    Quote Originally Posted by bigvern1013:

    I was in the family construction business from 2002 to 2010.  Had a lot of money in my mid 20's, and went through the big crash in 2008-10.
    In my mid 20's I was flush with cash....used to go to Tahoe in the spring and Vegas in the Fall and Winter.  Blackjack mostly, with some sports mixed in.  I remember coming home either scratch or + money.....the money didn't matter, just the fun; and oddly enough that comfort led to pretty good decision making.
    Fast forward to the sub-prime meltdown in 2008.  I couldn't buy a winner.  The trips to Nevada for fun were out, so I decided to bet bigger from home to fill the void.  Bad idea.  Lost a huge bet in NCAA FB...remember it well....BYU @ TCU, midweek game.  BYU opened as 1 point road chalk, and the number went  over zero to TCU -2.  My eyes lit up......and TCU lit up BYU.  Andy Dalton and Jeremy Kerley. Kerley was everywhere.  Lost that bet by three td's.  I wound up putting my hand through the bedroom door. God I was pisssed.
    Still didn't learn.....wound up hitting bottom that year betting 1500$ bucks on the second half line of the Division 3 championship Alonzo Stagg Bowl.....MT Union vs Wisconsin Whitewater.  Mt Union was a 21 pt favorite...down by 8 at half....the oddsmakers hung Union -8.5 for the second half.  Again, my eyes lit up, and I hammered it.  MT Union fumbled inside of the 10 yd line twice, and they lost.
    Today I still bet, but no where as big as I used to.....just have no desire to go into the pressure cooker anymore.  When you bet a large amount on a game, every little thing is magnified.  Too much pressure, and I don't have the stomach for it anymore.
    The one thing I have learned:  If you NEED the bet to win, it NEVER will.  Desperation is a stinky perfume......and if you are desperate for a win, you have already lost.

    Great advice.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvern1013:

    I was in the family construction business from 2002 to 2010.  Had a lot of money in my mid 20's, and went through the big crash in 2008-10.
    In my mid 20's I was flush with cash....used to go to Tahoe in the spring and Vegas in the Fall and Winter.  Blackjack mostly, with some sports mixed in.  I remember coming home either scratch or + money.....the money didn't matter, just the fun; and oddly enough that comfort led to pretty good decision making.
    Fast forward to the sub-prime meltdown in 2008.  I couldn't buy a winner.  The trips to Nevada for fun were out, so I decided to bet bigger from home to fill the void.  Bad idea.  Lost a huge bet in NCAA FB...remember it well....BYU @ TCU, midweek game.  BYU opened as 1 point road chalk, and the number went  over zero to TCU -2.  My eyes lit up......and TCU lit up BYU.  Andy Dalton and Jeremy Kerley. Kerley was everywhere.  Lost that bet by three td's.  I wound up putting my hand through the bedroom door. God I was pisssed.
    Still didn't learn.....wound up hitting bottom that year betting 1500$ bucks on the second half line of the Division 3 championship Alonzo Stagg Bowl.....MT Union vs Wisconsin Whitewater.  Mt Union was a 21 pt favorite...down by 8 at half....the oddsmakers hung Union -8.5 for the second half.  Again, my eyes lit up, and I hammered it.  MT Union fumbled inside of the 10 yd line twice, and they lost.
    Today I still bet, but no where as big as I used to.....just have no desire to go into the pressure cooker anymore.  When you bet a large amount on a game, every little thing is magnified.  Too much pressure, and I don't have the stomach for it anymore.
    The one thing I have learned:  If you NEED the bet to win, it NEVER will.  Desperation is a stinky perfume......and if you are desperate for a win, you have already lost.

    Great advice.
     
     
    BowmansAddict
    BowmansAddict
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 6520
    Posted: Jan. 29, 2016 - 9:12 AM ET #25

    The one thing I have learned:  If you NEED the bet to win, it NEVER will.  Desperation is a stinky perfume......and if you are desperate for a win, you have already lost.

    this couldn't be more true
    Reply
    The one thing I have learned:  If you NEED the bet to win, it NEVER will.  Desperation is a stinky perfume......and if you are desperate for a win, you have already lost.

    this couldn't be more true
    All Forums | General Discussion
    123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,355
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 435
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,888
    • PART DEUX 151
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 842
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,853
    • Week 6 Money 8,358
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,240
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,792
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,238

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.