• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Comedians who I do not find funny...

    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»
    nature1970
    scalabrine
    Skipbone
    Slobbasaurus
    gold6185
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 5898
    Posts: 76
    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»
     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 12:01 AM ET #51

    letterman. when i was a kid i liked him i felt he was edgy and it was a great shhow. but the older i got i felt the show was lame the last show i watched he had a man and a goat anyway he let the goat go out onto the ally off broadway and i just thought by then this is show is just lame. never watched it since
    Reply
    letterman. when i was a kid i liked him i felt he was edgy and it was a great shhow. but the older i got i felt the show was lame the last show i watched he had a man and a goat anyway he let the goat go out onto the ally off broadway and i just thought by then this is show is just lame. never watched it since
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 2:15 AM ET #52

    Quote Originally Posted by bk1374:

    If you dont' think Carlin was funny, it kind of explains how the rest of your list if chalk full of "comedians' that NO ONE really thinks is funny.  I mean really, how does WHOOPI even make a list like this??? 

    Jay Leno??  NO ONE thinks Leno is funny.  Only complete fu**king fool would.  He should be like #688 on this list.   

    "whoopi goldberg not funny period" YEAH NO F&&KING SHEEET!




    So NO ONE thought Leno was funny...

    Interesting. So I guess that was a laugh track he had on his show during every single opening monologue for 22 years, as were the laughs during every single one of his interviews.

    As hard as it is for you to comprehend, many people found Leno funny. I didn't.


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by bk1374:

    If you dont' think Carlin was funny, it kind of explains how the rest of your list if chalk full of "comedians' that NO ONE really thinks is funny.  I mean really, how does WHOOPI even make a list like this??? 

    Jay Leno??  NO ONE thinks Leno is funny.  Only complete fu**king fool would.  He should be like #688 on this list.   

    "whoopi goldberg not funny period" YEAH NO F&&KING SHEEET!




    So NO ONE thought Leno was funny...

    Interesting. So I guess that was a laugh track he had on his show during every single opening monologue for 22 years, as were the laughs during every single one of his interviews.

    As hard as it is for you to comprehend, many people found Leno funny. I didn't.


     
    Skipbone
    Skipbone
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 6368
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 8:48 AM ET #53

    Leno=funny.
    Rock=funniest (although he needs to shut his mouth when he's not telling jokes)
    Schumer=hilarious. Maybe the funniest comedian working right now.
    Mitch Hedberg>Pryor
    Seinfeld>Carlin
    Murphy>Chapelle

    Reply
    Leno=funny.
    Rock=funniest (although he needs to shut his mouth when he's not telling jokes)
    Schumer=hilarious. Maybe the funniest comedian working right now.
    Mitch Hedberg>Pryor
    Seinfeld>Carlin
    Murphy>Chapelle

     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 9:20 AM ET #54

    Quote Originally Posted by Skipbone:

    Leno=funny.
    Rock=funniest (although he needs to shut his mouth when he's not telling jokes)
    Schumer=hilarious. Maybe the funniest comedian working right now.
    Mitch Hedberg>Pryor
    Seinfeld>Carlin
    Murphy>Chapelle


    I'm indifferent about Leno and Letterman.

    Rock is very funny, but I wouldn't call him the funniest.  Bigger and Blacker was a great show.

    As for Schumer, not a big fan of female comedians.

    Seinfeld is great.  Very hard to make an audience laugh with a "clean" act so hats off to the man; plus his sitcom is probably one of the funniest of all time.  However, you really can't compare him to Carlin, who is also one of the all-time greats.  It's like comparing apples and oranges, so to speak.  Both are equally talented in my opinion.  Carlin is more of a showman, as Scal was saying in his initial post.

    I think 1980s Eddie Murphy was hysterical.  Also loved his movies "Coming to America" and "Trading Places."  Classic comedies.  Chapelle's stand-up acts were pretty funny, but not as good as Eddie's.  His movies were also weaker, but the "Chapelle Show" is one of the funniest sketch comedy show to date.  Dave got that off.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipbone:

    Leno=funny.
    Rock=funniest (although he needs to shut his mouth when he's not telling jokes)
    Schumer=hilarious. Maybe the funniest comedian working right now.
    Mitch Hedberg>Pryor
    Seinfeld>Carlin
    Murphy>Chapelle


    I'm indifferent about Leno and Letterman.

    Rock is very funny, but I wouldn't call him the funniest.  Bigger and Blacker was a great show.

    As for Schumer, not a big fan of female comedians.

    Seinfeld is great.  Very hard to make an audience laugh with a "clean" act so hats off to the man; plus his sitcom is probably one of the funniest of all time.  However, you really can't compare him to Carlin, who is also one of the all-time greats.  It's like comparing apples and oranges, so to speak.  Both are equally talented in my opinion.  Carlin is more of a showman, as Scal was saying in his initial post.

    I think 1980s Eddie Murphy was hysterical.  Also loved his movies "Coming to America" and "Trading Places."  Classic comedies.  Chapelle's stand-up acts were pretty funny, but not as good as Eddie's.  His movies were also weaker, but the "Chapelle Show" is one of the funniest sketch comedy show to date.  Dave got that off.
     
    gold6185
    gold6185
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 1168
    Posted: Dec. 7, 2015 - 1:20 AM ET #55

    Quote Originally Posted by Canada_Chris:

    Though I've never liked Jay Leno on the tonight show, he seems like a pretty funny guy overall.  I often hear other comedians say he was arguably one of the best in his early days before he took over late night duties.

    100% correct. Leno had great edgy comedy in his early days. He dumbed down his act for mass appeal as time went on-which was a choice that he decided to make-but he was never as funny as his early stand up days. I'm stunned that anyone would list George Carlin as not funny. To me-it was intellectual comedy at its finest. He was funny but he also made you think-and you'd eventually be nodding your head in agreement with whatever topic he was talking about.  As far as #10-it's Robin Williams. In certain movies-he was great. In movies-he could be both funny or he could be creepy. His overall stand up act was not funny except for bits of it.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Canada_Chris:

    Though I've never liked Jay Leno on the tonight show, he seems like a pretty funny guy overall.  I often hear other comedians say he was arguably one of the best in his early days before he took over late night duties.

    100% correct. Leno had great edgy comedy in his early days. He dumbed down his act for mass appeal as time went on-which was a choice that he decided to make-but he was never as funny as his early stand up days. I'm stunned that anyone would list George Carlin as not funny. To me-it was intellectual comedy at its finest. He was funny but he also made you think-and you'd eventually be nodding your head in agreement with whatever topic he was talking about.  As far as #10-it's Robin Williams. In certain movies-he was great. In movies-he could be both funny or he could be creepy. His overall stand up act was not funny except for bits of it.

     
    glyde69
    glyde69
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2005
    Posts: 7446
    Posted: Dec. 9, 2015 - 5:50 PM ET #56

    Agree with most.....but carlin and Pryor are the greatest ever IMO. Plus the amount of great comedians today who were influenced by them.....
    Reply
    Agree with most.....but carlin and Pryor are the greatest ever IMO. Plus the amount of great comedians today who were influenced by them.....
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Dec. 9, 2015 - 6:03 PM ET #57

    Quote Originally Posted by glyde69:

    Agree with most.....but carlin and Pryor are the greatest ever IMO. Plus the amount of great comedians today who were influenced by them.....

    A man with a sense of humor!  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by glyde69:

    Agree with most.....but carlin and Pryor are the greatest ever IMO. Plus the amount of great comedians today who were influenced by them.....

    A man with a sense of humor!  
     
    SportsFan9698
    SportsFan9698
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 5575
    Posted: Dec. 10, 2015 - 2:26 PM ET #58

    First off, comedy is a perishable item.  Going back to look at comedy will often not be a good thing.  Many of those you listed were funny a few decades ago, but not now.

    I agree with your list for the most part.  But the fact is that if their audience pays money and laughs (they all do) then by definition they are funny. 

    I remember laughing my azz off watching Caddyshack back in the 80's.  So I showed it to my boys a few years back, and we did not even get through half of it... it was not funny at all.

    People all have different tastes... I think Fallon is funny as hell and his show is better than most.  He is every bit as good as Carson was in his prime.  Not everybody agrees.  I never liked Letterman at all, and glad he is gone... but that idiot that replaced him is worse.
    Reply
    First off, comedy is a perishable item.  Going back to look at comedy will often not be a good thing.  Many of those you listed were funny a few decades ago, but not now.

    I agree with your list for the most part.  But the fact is that if their audience pays money and laughs (they all do) then by definition they are funny. 

    I remember laughing my azz off watching Caddyshack back in the 80's.  So I showed it to my boys a few years back, and we did not even get through half of it... it was not funny at all.

    People all have different tastes... I think Fallon is funny as hell and his show is better than most.  He is every bit as good as Carson was in his prime.  Not everybody agrees.  I never liked Letterman at all, and glad he is gone... but that idiot that replaced him is worse.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Dec. 10, 2015 - 2:33 PM ET #59

    Please, someone post a funny Pryor skit they've watched and laughed at. I've seen several. I'm not seeing where you're coming from.

    I will say his jokes were of that era so I will cut him some slack. Humor changes drastically over time.

    Let's be sure to separate Pryor the actor from prior the comedian.



    Reply
    Please, someone post a funny Pryor skit they've watched and laughed at. I've seen several. I'm not seeing where you're coming from.

    I will say his jokes were of that era so I will cut him some slack. Humor changes drastically over time.

    Let's be sure to separate Pryor the actor from prior the comedian.



     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Dec. 10, 2015 - 2:35 PM ET #60

    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:


    I'm indifferent about Leno and Letterman.

    Rock is very funny, but I wouldn't call him the funniest.  Bigger and Blacker was a great show.

    As for Schumer, not a big fan of female comedians.

    Seinfeld is great.  Very hard to make an audience laugh with a "clean" act so hats off to the man; plus his sitcom is probably one of the funniest of all time.  However, you really can't compare him to Carlin, who is also one of the all-time greats.  It's like comparing apples and oranges, so to speak.  Both are equally talented in my opinion.  Carlin is more of a showman, as Scal was saying in his initial post.

    I think 1980s Eddie Murphy was hysterical.  Also loved his movies "Coming to America" and "Trading Places."  Classic comedies.  Chapelle's stand-up acts were pretty funny, but not as good as Eddie's.  His movies were also weaker, but the "Chapelle Show" is one of the funniest sketch comedy show to date.  Dave got that off.

    I'm glad someone agrees with me about Carlin. He makes you think and then you laugh to yourself and say "Yeah that's right!". But he's not laugh out loud funny IMO. That's not to disrespect him. He may have been the comedian of greatest intellect that ever lived.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:


    I'm indifferent about Leno and Letterman.

    Rock is very funny, but I wouldn't call him the funniest.  Bigger and Blacker was a great show.

    As for Schumer, not a big fan of female comedians.

    Seinfeld is great.  Very hard to make an audience laugh with a "clean" act so hats off to the man; plus his sitcom is probably one of the funniest of all time.  However, you really can't compare him to Carlin, who is also one of the all-time greats.  It's like comparing apples and oranges, so to speak.  Both are equally talented in my opinion.  Carlin is more of a showman, as Scal was saying in his initial post.

    I think 1980s Eddie Murphy was hysterical.  Also loved his movies "Coming to America" and "Trading Places."  Classic comedies.  Chapelle's stand-up acts were pretty funny, but not as good as Eddie's.  His movies were also weaker, but the "Chapelle Show" is one of the funniest sketch comedy show to date.  Dave got that off.

    I'm glad someone agrees with me about Carlin. He makes you think and then you laugh to yourself and say "Yeah that's right!". But he's not laugh out loud funny IMO. That's not to disrespect him. He may have been the comedian of greatest intellect that ever lived.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Dec. 10, 2015 - 2:35 PM ET #61

    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan9698:

    First off, comedy is a perishable item.  Going back to look at comedy will often not be a good thing.  Many of those you listed were funny a few decades ago, but not now.

    I agree with your list for the most part.  But the fact is that if their audience pays money and laughs (they all do) then by definition they are funny. 

    I remember laughing my azz off watching Caddyshack back in the 80's.  So I showed it to my boys a few years back, and we did not even get through half of it... it was not funny at all.

    People all have different tastes... I think Fallon is funny as hell and his show is better than most.  He is every bit as good as Carson was in his prime.  Not everybody agrees.  I never liked Letterman at all, and glad he is gone... but that idiot that replaced him is worse.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan9698:

    First off, comedy is a perishable item.  Going back to look at comedy will often not be a good thing.  Many of those you listed were funny a few decades ago, but not now.

    I agree with your list for the most part.  But the fact is that if their audience pays money and laughs (they all do) then by definition they are funny. 

    I remember laughing my azz off watching Caddyshack back in the 80's.  So I showed it to my boys a few years back, and we did not even get through half of it... it was not funny at all.

    People all have different tastes... I think Fallon is funny as hell and his show is better than most.  He is every bit as good as Carson was in his prime.  Not everybody agrees.  I never liked Letterman at all, and glad he is gone... but that idiot that replaced him is worse.
     
    daysbtwin
    daysbtwin
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2009
    Posts: 1654
    Posted: Dec. 10, 2015 - 10:07 PM ET #62

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    Comedian...

    One of the few jobs in the world where you can thrive by being bad at what you do.

    Of course, that is only one person's opinion but I've tried endlessly to understand the 'jokes' these comedians tell and be able to enjoy their general stand-up routine, and I just can't do it.


    1. Dane Cook - saw an HBO special where he sold out Madison Square Garden. I didn't laugh at a single joke. He made me smile. But that's it. I have no idea why people went wild for this guy for several years making him massively wealthy.

    2. Andrew Dice Clay - If the guy writes his own stuff, I would certainly label him as creative. But funny? I'm watching an HBO special from the 80's and people are going BONKERS for this guy. But I'd like to note, most people are not laughing but cheering for his misogyny.

    3. Joan Rivers - I've seen her around forever. I will say when she was on E! And she ragged on celebrity attire, that was funny. But her stand-up routine and virtually every interview or sound bite was not. Never laughed at a single purposeful joke from her.

    4. George Carlin - I'd rate him as the SMARTEST 'comedian' ever. But funny? No. Never made me laugh. He made me THINK and I actually quote him on many occasions, not to make others laugh but to refer to a life philosophy or discuss something taboo where he has offered an astute point.

    5. Adam Sandler - used to be funny on SNL. Billy Madison was funny for its time (but ironically, the game show skit was hilarious but the funniest line in the movie many here quote, concerning a stupid answer was not even said by him). Haven't laughed at this guy in ages.

    6. Richard Pryor - also watched his stand-up routine on HBO. Tried to laugh. Tried to find why he is considered a comedy legend. Didn't laugh once.

    7. Rosie O'Donnell - have never laughed at a single joke she has ever told.

    8. Whoopi Goldberg - not funny. Period.

    9. Jay Leno - never found him even 1/10th as funny as Letterman. He had some moments but overall he just brought out a smile here and there, but never a hearty laugh.

    Anyone have #10?




    Scal - 

    This seems to be a list of overrated comics as all of these guys are solid stand-ups. I managed a comedy club while I was in college and there are some truly awful comedians out there. Nobody on this list is below the 95th percentile of all comics who ever were. The problem is that most of their stuff doesn't hold up over time.

    Dane Cook - very good comic who rubs people the wrong way and blew up too fast.
    Dice - groundbreaking stuff
    Joan Rivers - from a different era and was killing it back in the day
    Carlin - fantastic but not laugh out loud funny
    Sandler - average headliner
    Pryor - groundbreaking but his stuff doesn't hold up
    Rosie - solid
    Whoopi - average headliner
    Leno - great stand-up but the tonight show was horrible

    I'll add to the list Kinison... groundbreaking stuff but not funny today... and Lenny Bruce is pretty much un-watchable 

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    Comedian...

    One of the few jobs in the world where you can thrive by being bad at what you do.

    Of course, that is only one person's opinion but I've tried endlessly to understand the 'jokes' these comedians tell and be able to enjoy their general stand-up routine, and I just can't do it.


    1. Dane Cook - saw an HBO special where he sold out Madison Square Garden. I didn't laugh at a single joke. He made me smile. But that's it. I have no idea why people went wild for this guy for several years making him massively wealthy.

    2. Andrew Dice Clay - If the guy writes his own stuff, I would certainly label him as creative. But funny? I'm watching an HBO special from the 80's and people are going BONKERS for this guy. But I'd like to note, most people are not laughing but cheering for his misogyny.

    3. Joan Rivers - I've seen her around forever. I will say when she was on E! And she ragged on celebrity attire, that was funny. But her stand-up routine and virtually every interview or sound bite was not. Never laughed at a single purposeful joke from her.

    4. George Carlin - I'd rate him as the SMARTEST 'comedian' ever. But funny? No. Never made me laugh. He made me THINK and I actually quote him on many occasions, not to make others laugh but to refer to a life philosophy or discuss something taboo where he has offered an astute point.

    5. Adam Sandler - used to be funny on SNL. Billy Madison was funny for its time (but ironically, the game show skit was hilarious but the funniest line in the movie many here quote, concerning a stupid answer was not even said by him). Haven't laughed at this guy in ages.

    6. Richard Pryor - also watched his stand-up routine on HBO. Tried to laugh. Tried to find why he is considered a comedy legend. Didn't laugh once.

    7. Rosie O'Donnell - have never laughed at a single joke she has ever told.

    8. Whoopi Goldberg - not funny. Period.

    9. Jay Leno - never found him even 1/10th as funny as Letterman. He had some moments but overall he just brought out a smile here and there, but never a hearty laugh.

    Anyone have #10?




    Scal - 

    This seems to be a list of overrated comics as all of these guys are solid stand-ups. I managed a comedy club while I was in college and there are some truly awful comedians out there. Nobody on this list is below the 95th percentile of all comics who ever were. The problem is that most of their stuff doesn't hold up over time.

    Dane Cook - very good comic who rubs people the wrong way and blew up too fast.
    Dice - groundbreaking stuff
    Joan Rivers - from a different era and was killing it back in the day
    Carlin - fantastic but not laugh out loud funny
    Sandler - average headliner
    Pryor - groundbreaking but his stuff doesn't hold up
    Rosie - solid
    Whoopi - average headliner
    Leno - great stand-up but the tonight show was horrible

    I'll add to the list Kinison... groundbreaking stuff but not funny today... and Lenny Bruce is pretty much un-watchable 

     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Dec. 10, 2015 - 11:46 PM ET #63

    What do you guys think of Jim Gaffigan? I think he has good material but at the same time, he seems a little dull on stage.  His delivery is pretty good and the man has a clean act.  I'm undecided  because he makes me laugh with a bit only to disappoint me with the following bit.  I read that he has social anxiety when he performs and it shows at times.  He can be a little awkward.

    Like myself, he grew up Catholic so I think his religious jokes are hilarious and spot on. I'm not going to copy and paste his religious bits because some members find it offensive; understandably so.   

    Holiday Traditions

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJAxRVeKnTE

    Bowling

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fm7QPA9zY

    Camping

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdqIpYhM6PE


    Reply
    What do you guys think of Jim Gaffigan? I think he has good material but at the same time, he seems a little dull on stage.  His delivery is pretty good and the man has a clean act.  I'm undecided  because he makes me laugh with a bit only to disappoint me with the following bit.  I read that he has social anxiety when he performs and it shows at times.  He can be a little awkward.

    Like myself, he grew up Catholic so I think his religious jokes are hilarious and spot on. I'm not going to copy and paste his religious bits because some members find it offensive; understandably so.   

    Holiday Traditions

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJAxRVeKnTE

    Bowling

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fm7QPA9zY

    Camping

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdqIpYhM6PE


     
    daysbtwin
    daysbtwin
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2009
    Posts: 1654
    Posted: Dec. 12, 2015 - 3:09 PM ET #64

    Gaffigan is funny but his silly voices drive me nuts so I can't listen to him.
    Reply
    Gaffigan is funny but his silly voices drive me nuts so I can't listen to him.
     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Dec. 12, 2015 - 6:17 PM ET #65

    I liked robin Williams In good morning Vietnam the disk jockey ad lib is still funny. maybe best ever skit within a movie. wish he was here .
    Reply
    I liked robin Williams In good morning Vietnam the disk jockey ad lib is still funny. maybe best ever skit within a movie. wish he was here .
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Dec. 12, 2015 - 6:22 PM ET #66

    Depression is a monster.  I didn't find Robin funny, but he was a talented actor.  
    Reply
    Depression is a monster.  I didn't find Robin funny, but he was a talented actor.  
     
    Johnzimbo34
    Johnzimbo34
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2010
    Posts: 1299
    Posted: Dec. 12, 2015 - 7:15 PM ET #67

    Speaking of stand-up acts that don't hold up over the years, Steve Martin. He was funny at the time but trying to watch his old stuff now is painful.
    Reply
    Speaking of stand-up acts that don't hold up over the years, Steve Martin. He was funny at the time but trying to watch his old stuff now is painful.
     
    BWS77
    BWS77
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 35351
    Posted: Dec. 12, 2015 - 9:16 PM ET #68

    I always thought Gilbert Gottfried was terribly annoying and stupid but I caught one of his old standups on Showtime and it was pretty funny...  his voice is still as irritating as anything out there though.

    I enjoy him on the Comedy Central Roasts...   Love Greg Giraldo and Jeff Ross, but there are some that I don't care for.  
    Reply
    I always thought Gilbert Gottfried was terribly annoying and stupid but I caught one of his old standups on Showtime and it was pretty funny...  his voice is still as irritating as anything out there though.

    I enjoy him on the Comedy Central Roasts...   Love Greg Giraldo and Jeff Ross, but there are some that I don't care for.  
     
    Killer_B
    Killer_B
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 6291
    Posted: Dec. 12, 2015 - 11:42 PM ET #69

    George Lopez & Louie C.K.




    Reply
    George Lopez & Louie C.K.




     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Dec. 12, 2015 - 11:57 PM ET #70

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_B:

    George Lopez & Louie C.K.





    Kill, George Lopez is a disaster but you can't disrespect Lou.

    Offensive words

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NAUgCm-3Tc
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_B:

    George Lopez & Louie C.K.





    Kill, George Lopez is a disaster but you can't disrespect Lou.

    Offensive words

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NAUgCm-3Tc
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Dec. 25, 2015 - 4:22 PM ET #71

    Quote Originally Posted by daysbtwin:


    Scal - 

    This seems to be a list of overrated comics as all of these guys are solid stand-ups. I managed a comedy club while I was in college and there are some truly awful comedians out there. Nobody on this list is below the 95th percentile of all comics who ever were. The problem is that most of their stuff doesn't hold up over time.

    Dane Cook - very good comic who rubs people the wrong way and blew up too fast.
    Dice - groundbreaking stuff
    Joan Rivers - from a different era and was killing it back in the day
    Carlin - fantastic but not laugh out loud funny
    Sandler - average headliner
    Pryor - groundbreaking but his stuff doesn't hold up
    Rosie - solid
    Whoopi - average headliner
    Leno - great stand-up but the tonight show was horrible

    I'll add to the list Kinison... groundbreaking stuff but not funny today... and Lenny Bruce is pretty much un-watchable 


    Point taken days but these are not all solid stand-ups.

    They may be solid stand-ups in an average nightclub but not for the position they are in.

    And I swear I have NEVER laughed at a single one of Sam Kinison's jokes. Notta ONE!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by daysbtwin:


    Scal - 

    This seems to be a list of overrated comics as all of these guys are solid stand-ups. I managed a comedy club while I was in college and there are some truly awful comedians out there. Nobody on this list is below the 95th percentile of all comics who ever were. The problem is that most of their stuff doesn't hold up over time.

    Dane Cook - very good comic who rubs people the wrong way and blew up too fast.
    Dice - groundbreaking stuff
    Joan Rivers - from a different era and was killing it back in the day
    Carlin - fantastic but not laugh out loud funny
    Sandler - average headliner
    Pryor - groundbreaking but his stuff doesn't hold up
    Rosie - solid
    Whoopi - average headliner
    Leno - great stand-up but the tonight show was horrible

    I'll add to the list Kinison... groundbreaking stuff but not funny today... and Lenny Bruce is pretty much un-watchable 


    Point taken days but these are not all solid stand-ups.

    They may be solid stand-ups in an average nightclub but not for the position they are in.

    And I swear I have NEVER laughed at a single one of Sam Kinison's jokes. Notta ONE!
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Dec. 25, 2015 - 4:23 PM ET #72

    Quote Originally Posted by BWS77:

    I always thought Gilbert Gottfried was terribly annoying and stupid but I caught one of his old standups on Showtime and it was pretty funny...  his voice is still as irritating as anything out there though.

    I enjoy him on the Comedy Central Roasts...   Love Greg Giraldo and Jeff Ross, but there are some that I don't care for.  

    Ya know, he is hilarious at the Roasts and terrible at everything else he does in comedy!

    That's funny in and of itself!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by BWS77:

    I always thought Gilbert Gottfried was terribly annoying and stupid but I caught one of his old standups on Showtime and it was pretty funny...  his voice is still as irritating as anything out there though.

    I enjoy him on the Comedy Central Roasts...   Love Greg Giraldo and Jeff Ross, but there are some that I don't care for.  

    Ya know, he is hilarious at the Roasts and terrible at everything else he does in comedy!

    That's funny in and of itself!
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Dec. 25, 2015 - 4:25 PM ET #73

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnzimbo34:

    Speaking of stand-up acts that don't hold up over the years, Steve Martin. He was funny at the time but trying to watch his old stuff now is painful.

    Planes, Trains and Automobiles is one of the all-time great classic comedies and yes, Steve has just lost it all.

    But really, what comic of his age is still going strong? Maybe Don Rickles was funny at his age but that's about the only one I could think of.

    I think it takes an enormous amount of mental energy and poise to be funny either in a stand-up act or during an appearance and that just isn't there when you get into old age.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnzimbo34:

    Speaking of stand-up acts that don't hold up over the years, Steve Martin. He was funny at the time but trying to watch his old stuff now is painful.

    Planes, Trains and Automobiles is one of the all-time great classic comedies and yes, Steve has just lost it all.

    But really, what comic of his age is still going strong? Maybe Don Rickles was funny at his age but that's about the only one I could think of.

    I think it takes an enormous amount of mental energy and poise to be funny either in a stand-up act or during an appearance and that just isn't there when you get into old age.
     
    Want2ride
    Want2ride
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2015
    Posts: 193
    Posted: Dec. 25, 2015 - 8:59 PM ET #74

    I am considerably older than most of you. And the guy I look back on and think of as just gut busting funny, and he could do it with just that days newspaper, was Mort Sahl. Not any garbage he had to do to make a living on some crappy talk show, but when he could cut loose live or be on very late at nite or even public access.
    Reply
    I am considerably older than most of you. And the guy I look back on and think of as just gut busting funny, and he could do it with just that days newspaper, was Mort Sahl. Not any garbage he had to do to make a living on some crappy talk show, but when he could cut loose live or be on very late at nite or even public access.
     
     
    ogmike
    ogmike
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2002
    Posts: 2947
    Posted: Dec. 26, 2015 - 9:50 PM ET #75

    Aziz Ansari is the most overrated comedian in my opinion. He was all the rage in stand up a few years back. Also, one of my former employees, who's a stand up buff, likes Aziz. Watched all 3 of his stand ups that was on Netflix and thought they were average at best. I laughed a couple of times at best. 

    Someone mentioned it earlier, but nobody funnier than Bill Burr for me. Dude is hilarious. 
    Reply
    Aziz Ansari is the most overrated comedian in my opinion. He was all the rage in stand up a few years back. Also, one of my former employees, who's a stand up buff, likes Aziz. Watched all 3 of his stand ups that was on Netflix and thought they were average at best. I laughed a couple of times at best. 

    Someone mentioned it earlier, but nobody funnier than Bill Burr for me. Dude is hilarious. 
    All Forums | General Discussion
    «First Previous 1234 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,355
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 436
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,894
    • PART DEUX 157
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 847
    • Week 6 Money 8,478
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,854
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,793
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,271
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,262

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.