Posted:
#1
I only play one bowl game each year for $1,000 on New Year's Day. I follow college football closely but I'm primarily a college hoops gambler. However, my friends and I have gotten together every New Year's Day for the past 20 years, so I like to throw one bomb on a game, eat a ton of food, drink a "few" Jack and Cokes and see what happens.
I also don't post a lot so I'm not expecting most of you to follow this pick, nor would I advise it. Just sharing my thoughts on the game, wishing you all a great 2013 and I hope you kill it on New Year's Day. The game I'm playing this year is:
Wisconsin +6 $1,000
I believe Stanford can play with anyone in the country on any given week and they showed that this season by defeating Oregon and taking No. 1 Notre Dame to overtime. However, Stanford and Wisconsin play styles that create close games virtually every single week. Take a look at what Stanford did in a majority of their games this season:
Beat San Jose St. by 3
Beat USC by 7
Lost to Washington by 4
Beat Arizona by 6
Lost to Notre Dame by 7
Beat Washington St. by 7
Beat Oregon St. by 4
Beat Oregon by 3
Beat UCLA by 3
That's 9 of 13 games decided by 7 points or less. So while Stanford is a very good team, they play tight games pretty much every week. Now let's look at Wisconsin:
Beat N. Iowa by 5
Lost to Oregon St. by 3
Beat Utah St. by 2
Lost to Nebraska by 3
Lost to Michigan St. by 3
Lost to Ohio St. by 7
Lost to Penn St. by 3
That's 7 of 13 games decided by 7 points or less. So just like Stanford, Wisconsin is used to playing in tight games. I just think this sets up as a very even matchup between two teams with similar styles. Sure, one team could have five turnovers and that changes things but for the most part I think you are looking at a close game throughout. In my opinion Stanford is the better team but they are also much better than Arizona and Washington State and didn't blow them out. I'm going to take the 6 points here and hope these two teams play their last game like they've played most of their games all season long: close and right down until the final seconds.
Stanford 23
Wisconsin 20
Good luck everyone and have a great day
I also don't post a lot so I'm not expecting most of you to follow this pick, nor would I advise it. Just sharing my thoughts on the game, wishing you all a great 2013 and I hope you kill it on New Year's Day. The game I'm playing this year is:
Wisconsin +6 $1,000
I believe Stanford can play with anyone in the country on any given week and they showed that this season by defeating Oregon and taking No. 1 Notre Dame to overtime. However, Stanford and Wisconsin play styles that create close games virtually every single week. Take a look at what Stanford did in a majority of their games this season:
Beat San Jose St. by 3
Beat USC by 7
Lost to Washington by 4
Beat Arizona by 6
Lost to Notre Dame by 7
Beat Washington St. by 7
Beat Oregon St. by 4
Beat Oregon by 3
Beat UCLA by 3
That's 9 of 13 games decided by 7 points or less. So while Stanford is a very good team, they play tight games pretty much every week. Now let's look at Wisconsin:
Beat N. Iowa by 5
Lost to Oregon St. by 3
Beat Utah St. by 2
Lost to Nebraska by 3
Lost to Michigan St. by 3
Lost to Ohio St. by 7
Lost to Penn St. by 3
That's 7 of 13 games decided by 7 points or less. So just like Stanford, Wisconsin is used to playing in tight games. I just think this sets up as a very even matchup between two teams with similar styles. Sure, one team could have five turnovers and that changes things but for the most part I think you are looking at a close game throughout. In my opinion Stanford is the better team but they are also much better than Arizona and Washington State and didn't blow them out. I'm going to take the 6 points here and hope these two teams play their last game like they've played most of their games all season long: close and right down until the final seconds.
Stanford 23
Wisconsin 20
Good luck everyone and have a great day
