• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | College Basketball

    A little something Fun for Friday, gonna outsmart the smart kids...Write ups for every game inside!

    woolyfsu
    Yungstar
    MrSquare
    MaineRoad
    TMGrinder
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 1179
    Posts: 18
     
    woolyfsu
    woolyfsu
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1195
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 3:26 PM ET #1

    Lets face it, Fridays arent that exciting in NCAAB but I've got strep and figured I try something completely random and fun tonight. I had a friend back in college that was arguably one of the worst athletes and even worse sports fans I've ever met but still played in all our March Madness pools, fantasy football (he actually drafted a kicker in the 2nd round his first year), and gambled with the rest of us. Unbelievably he won fantasy that year, and actually made money betting. He also won 2 March Madness pools and did this all on one simple, ridiculous, yet hilarious philosophy... He ALWAYS picked based on the superior mascot.

    So for tonight's games I'm gonna throw $20 on what I believe is the superior mascot, and for those of you with a sense of humor this is where the fun starts! Some of tonights plays are obvious (unless someone can make a better case) but theres a couple that seem like a dead heat. So here goes nothing...

    Yale/Harvard: Bulldog vs Crimson... Bulldog beats a color anyday but you could argue that the pilgrim (unofficial mascot) is the dogs master, however anybody that picks up another poop is inferior: Yale +12 (got it at a puppy)

    Brown/Dartmouth: Bear vs. Big Green... another case of beast vs color and I'm pretty sure Bears arent scared of green seeing that they climb trees. Dart's unofficial mascot keggy the keg, although enjoyable and would be my choice if I had to pick which one I wanted to be near, would make a bear attack less painful and if consumed by the bear would only make matters worse, Bears are mean drunks: Brown pk (got it a cub)

    St Peters/Marist: Peacocks vs. Red Foxes... Peacocks may be pretty to look at, and have a shit ton of feathers, but theyre vein by nature and a fox would attack while the peacock is looking in the mirror. (Redd Foxx was quoted as saying "youre just dumb son, youre just dumb" when asked if a peacock could take him out)... Marist +9.5

    Chatt/W Carolina: Scrappy Mockingbird vs. Mountaineers... pretty sure mountaineers ate mockingbirds in desperate times, but these are scrappy mockingbirds so theyre annoying and tactical. I've never come across a mockingbird with the flu and I dont know how many are in their flock so this comes down to intangibles. Do the mountaineers get drunk off moonshine before the hunt cause they think the mocs will be an easy kill, or do they have their guns loaded up and ready to take the mocs by surprise? I'm gonna go with men with weapons: W.Car -10

    Here's where it gets tricky so I'm gonna post my leans and see what comes out:

    Princeton/Columbia: Age old question, Tigers vs Lions...Lions are the King of the jungle and NYC can be quite the jungle, Lean Col

    Penn/Cornell: Quakers vs Big Red Bears... Quakers are usually non-violent but do they have guns? Or will they be scared shitless cause theyve never seen a red bear? Lean: Big Red Bears, muzzle loading guns and oatmeal probably wont stop a Bear

    Niagra/Loyola MD: Purple Eagles vs. Greyhounds... I for one have never seen a purple eagle so I believe it is either a figment of imagination or some badass mythical creature that only comes out sporadically? If the greyhound gets off to a fast start he could run into a tunnel and hide until the eagle realizes it has no chance... Lean: Purple Eagle cause I've seen a greyhound before

    Sienna/Iona: Saints vs. Gaels... Dad always told me never to discuss or compare religion at the dinner table, so this is a tough one. I have to think Saints can speak Gaelic though so that may give them an edge. Lean: Sienna

    Fairfield/Manhattan: Stags/Jaspers... Thought this was a no-brainer at first cause I had no clue what a Jasper was, and Stags are just badass, especially stag parties, that is until I found out it was named after a guy who invented the 7th inning stretch: https://www.gojaspers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12500&KEY=&ATCLID=640189 Lean: Manhattan, Its AMERICA and the guy invented the 7th inning stretch...

    Canisius/Rider: Golden Griffins vs. Broncos... Hmm, mythical creature thats half lion half eagle sounds pretty good on paper, but then again Broncos are not just mean ass thunder-horses, but theyre also badass early Suv's and in the 80's there was a certain Bronco who could probably kill a Griffin with a football: Hard Lean: Rider

    Jacksonville/E Tenn St: Dolphins vs Buccaneers... Dolphins are the sea's smartest creature, and certainly dominated Buccaneers in the 80's and early 90's, but Buccaneers traditionally have swords, cannons and limited morals. I would no doubt take a Dolphin in the water, but this game is on land: Strong Lean: E Tenn St

    N. Florida/USC Upstate: Ospreys vs Spartans... This is another tough one, Spartans have weapons and armor to protect them from attacks, however the armor gets heavy after time and spartans tend to get tired towards the end of battle. If the Ospreys can stay in flight for the enitire battle, they may catch the Spartans off guard. Lean: N. Florida

    Again this is just for fun and to try to provide a nice break from the typical forum B.S. that gets old after a while, so if you have any thoughts on the MASCOTS (not the teams, although I did try and make some loose comparisons in the write ups) please post them here and lets have some good old fashioned fun for a change!  I hope you enjoy reading this thread as much as I enjoyed writing it

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    Lets face it, Fridays arent that exciting in NCAAB but I've got strep and figured I try something completely random and fun tonight. I had a friend back in college that was arguably one of the worst athletes and even worse sports fans I've ever met but still played in all our March Madness pools, fantasy football (he actually drafted a kicker in the 2nd round his first year), and gambled with the rest of us. Unbelievably he won fantasy that year, and actually made money betting. He also won 2 March Madness pools and did this all on one simple, ridiculous, yet hilarious philosophy... He ALWAYS picked based on the superior mascot.

    So for tonight's games I'm gonna throw $20 on what I believe is the superior mascot, and for those of you with a sense of humor this is where the fun starts! Some of tonights plays are obvious (unless someone can make a better case) but theres a couple that seem like a dead heat. So here goes nothing...

    Yale/Harvard: Bulldog vs Crimson... Bulldog beats a color anyday but you could argue that the pilgrim (unofficial mascot) is the dogs master, however anybody that picks up another poop is inferior: Yale +12 (got it at a puppy)

    Brown/Dartmouth: Bear vs. Big Green... another case of beast vs color and I'm pretty sure Bears arent scared of green seeing that they climb trees. Dart's unofficial mascot keggy the keg, although enjoyable and would be my choice if I had to pick which one I wanted to be near, would make a bear attack less painful and if consumed by the bear would only make matters worse, Bears are mean drunks: Brown pk (got it a cub)

    St Peters/Marist: Peacocks vs. Red Foxes... Peacocks may be pretty to look at, and have a shit ton of feathers, but theyre vein by nature and a fox would attack while the peacock is looking in the mirror. (Redd Foxx was quoted as saying "youre just dumb son, youre just dumb" when asked if a peacock could take him out)... Marist +9.5

    Chatt/W Carolina: Scrappy Mockingbird vs. Mountaineers... pretty sure mountaineers ate mockingbirds in desperate times, but these are scrappy mockingbirds so theyre annoying and tactical. I've never come across a mockingbird with the flu and I dont know how many are in their flock so this comes down to intangibles. Do the mountaineers get drunk off moonshine before the hunt cause they think the mocs will be an easy kill, or do they have their guns loaded up and ready to take the mocs by surprise? I'm gonna go with men with weapons: W.Car -10

    Here's where it gets tricky so I'm gonna post my leans and see what comes out:

    Princeton/Columbia: Age old question, Tigers vs Lions...Lions are the King of the jungle and NYC can be quite the jungle, Lean Col

    Penn/Cornell: Quakers vs Big Red Bears... Quakers are usually non-violent but do they have guns? Or will they be scared shitless cause theyve never seen a red bear? Lean: Big Red Bears, muzzle loading guns and oatmeal probably wont stop a Bear

    Niagra/Loyola MD: Purple Eagles vs. Greyhounds... I for one have never seen a purple eagle so I believe it is either a figment of imagination or some badass mythical creature that only comes out sporadically? If the greyhound gets off to a fast start he could run into a tunnel and hide until the eagle realizes it has no chance... Lean: Purple Eagle cause I've seen a greyhound before

    Sienna/Iona: Saints vs. Gaels... Dad always told me never to discuss or compare religion at the dinner table, so this is a tough one. I have to think Saints can speak Gaelic though so that may give them an edge. Lean: Sienna

    Fairfield/Manhattan: Stags/Jaspers... Thought this was a no-brainer at first cause I had no clue what a Jasper was, and Stags are just badass, especially stag parties, that is until I found out it was named after a guy who invented the 7th inning stretch: https://www.gojaspers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12500&KEY=&ATCLID=640189 Lean: Manhattan, Its AMERICA and the guy invented the 7th inning stretch...

    Canisius/Rider: Golden Griffins vs. Broncos... Hmm, mythical creature thats half lion half eagle sounds pretty good on paper, but then again Broncos are not just mean ass thunder-horses, but theyre also badass early Suv's and in the 80's there was a certain Bronco who could probably kill a Griffin with a football: Hard Lean: Rider

    Jacksonville/E Tenn St: Dolphins vs Buccaneers... Dolphins are the sea's smartest creature, and certainly dominated Buccaneers in the 80's and early 90's, but Buccaneers traditionally have swords, cannons and limited morals. I would no doubt take a Dolphin in the water, but this game is on land: Strong Lean: E Tenn St

    N. Florida/USC Upstate: Ospreys vs Spartans... This is another tough one, Spartans have weapons and armor to protect them from attacks, however the armor gets heavy after time and spartans tend to get tired towards the end of battle. If the Ospreys can stay in flight for the enitire battle, they may catch the Spartans off guard. Lean: N. Florida

    Again this is just for fun and to try to provide a nice break from the typical forum B.S. that gets old after a while, so if you have any thoughts on the MASCOTS (not the teams, although I did try and make some loose comparisons in the write ups) please post them here and lets have some good old fashioned fun for a change!  I hope you enjoy reading this thread as much as I enjoyed writing it

     
    Yungstar
    Yungstar
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 2310
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 3:44 PM ET #2

    This is great.
    Reply
    This is great.
     
    MrSquare
    MrSquare
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2011
    Posts: 642
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 3:58 PM ET #3

    I don't know why I never thought of this angle .It would probably lead to a better winning percentage . Seriously though : How could you believe a Bronco over a Griffin ? Might want to rethink that wager .

    Reply

    I don't know why I never thought of this angle .It would probably lead to a better winning percentage . Seriously though : How could you believe a Bronco over a Griffin ? Might want to rethink that wager .

     
    woolyfsu
    woolyfsu
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1195
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 4:16 PM ET #4

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSquare:

    I don't know why I never thought of this angle .It would probably lead to a better winning percentage . Seriously though : How could you believe a Bronco over a Griffin ? Might want to rethink that wager .

    Its still just a lean, but I would definitely take an average Griffin over an average Bronco, problem is two-fold for the Golden Griffins; first, theyre made of gold, thats a pretty heavy metal and dont know how long it can stay aflight. Second, if it cant stay airborne not only would it have to deal with a ground war against a Bronco, but it would also be ravaged by people trying to break off pieces of gold because gold is so hot right now...

    Updated Lean thats now a play: Big Red Bears over Quakers. I google imaged searched Quakers vs Bears and it reminded me of a very important aspect I left out. Theres WAY better food opitons with regards to Bears: Teddy Grahams, Honey Bear, and of course gummi bears which red is arguably the best flavor...

    Locked in plays:

    Bulldogs ov Crimson Pilgrims: Yale +12

    Brown Bear ov Big Green: Brown pk

    Red Foxes ov Peacocks: Marist +9.5

    Mountaineers ov Scrappy Mockingbirds: W. Car -9.5

    Big Red Bears ov Quakers: Cornell -2.5

    Its damn hard to really try and pick these based on Mascots alone, but I'm refusing to look at other stuff to prevent bias.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSquare:

    I don't know why I never thought of this angle .It would probably lead to a better winning percentage . Seriously though : How could you believe a Bronco over a Griffin ? Might want to rethink that wager .

    Its still just a lean, but I would definitely take an average Griffin over an average Bronco, problem is two-fold for the Golden Griffins; first, theyre made of gold, thats a pretty heavy metal and dont know how long it can stay aflight. Second, if it cant stay airborne not only would it have to deal with a ground war against a Bronco, but it would also be ravaged by people trying to break off pieces of gold because gold is so hot right now...

    Updated Lean thats now a play: Big Red Bears over Quakers. I google imaged searched Quakers vs Bears and it reminded me of a very important aspect I left out. Theres WAY better food opitons with regards to Bears: Teddy Grahams, Honey Bear, and of course gummi bears which red is arguably the best flavor...

    Locked in plays:

    Bulldogs ov Crimson Pilgrims: Yale +12

    Brown Bear ov Big Green: Brown pk

    Red Foxes ov Peacocks: Marist +9.5

    Mountaineers ov Scrappy Mockingbirds: W. Car -9.5

    Big Red Bears ov Quakers: Cornell -2.5

    Its damn hard to really try and pick these based on Mascots alone, but I'm refusing to look at other stuff to prevent bias.

     
    MaineRoad
    MaineRoad
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2005
    Posts: 12254
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 4:17 PM ET #5

    I thnk your analysis of the Columbia game is spot on. 
    Reply
    I thnk your analysis of the Columbia game is spot on. 
     
    TMGrinder
    TMGrinder
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 255
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 4:22 PM ET #6

    very funny read, and good luck with the plays...
    Reply
    very funny read, and good luck with the plays...
     
    woolyfsu
    woolyfsu
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1195
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 4:43 PM ET #7

    Thanks guys, glad youre enjoying it

    Updated Lean: Turns out my knowledge of MAAC mascots is, well exactly where it should be, not very good. So Siena's mascot is actually a St. Bernard, this makes this matchup a little more interesting. Both Gaels and St Bernards are known for saving people, both have nifty pouches in their garb (around its neck for the St Bernard) but the St Bernard's pouch often contained whiskey; advantage St Bernard. However they made a sequel to the movie Beethoven and that set back St Bernards quite a bit in my book. I would rely on my previous dog vs man argument that anything that picks up anothers poop is inferior, but I think St Bernards are smart enough to not poop in holy places. Kids seem to like them too. Still a toss up

    Reply

    Thanks guys, glad youre enjoying it

    Updated Lean: Turns out my knowledge of MAAC mascots is, well exactly where it should be, not very good. So Siena's mascot is actually a St. Bernard, this makes this matchup a little more interesting. Both Gaels and St Bernards are known for saving people, both have nifty pouches in their garb (around its neck for the St Bernard) but the St Bernard's pouch often contained whiskey; advantage St Bernard. However they made a sequel to the movie Beethoven and that set back St Bernards quite a bit in my book. I would rely on my previous dog vs man argument that anything that picks up anothers poop is inferior, but I think St Bernards are smart enough to not poop in holy places. Kids seem to like them too. Still a toss up

     
    CuseDaddy
    CuseDaddy
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2010
    Posts: 61
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 5:02 PM ET #8

    Great Stuff Woly.  A friend and I often joke about this same topic. 

    If a Badger and a Buckeye met in a dark ally.....  but what if the badger slips on the buckeye and is injured??

    Reply

    Great Stuff Woly.  A friend and I often joke about this same topic. 

    If a Badger and a Buckeye met in a dark ally.....  but what if the badger slips on the buckeye and is injured??

     
    woolyfsu
    woolyfsu
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1195
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 5:34 PM ET #9

    Quote Originally Posted by CuseDaddy:

    Great Stuff Woly.  A friend and I often joke about this same topic. 

    If a Badger and a Buckeye met in a dark ally.....  but what if the badger slips on the buckeye and is injured??

    Haha, always great fodder for conversation. Just got done talking to another buddy of mine and told him how I was making plays tonight based on our friends philosophy and he reminded me of the epic Buccaneer vs Raider argument for the '03 Super Bowl where our friend said the Buccanneers would win because they have ships and San Diego had a very large port, I shit you not. He put $500 on the ML and you know the rest...

    Update on Princeton Columbia: (thanks wiki answers)

    Both of these animals are powerful and fierce carnivores. But scientists say that in a fight between a Bengal tiger and an African lion, there is a 90% chance that the tiger will win.

    It is a well-known fact that tigers are the biggest cats in the world. Not only this, but tigers are noticeably more muscular, and better fighters. It is actually a myth that lions are better fighters than tigers, because tigers compete with each other for territory just as much as lions fight for a pride. Tigers also have experience fighting with many animals; Bengal tigers can easily kill large crocodiles and black bears, and Siberian tigers have been known to attack and kill huge adult brown bears. Tigers have been noticed as better fighters because they are more swift, agile, fierce, and have better eye-coordination. They have a stronger jaw force and paw-swipe. However, it is not true that tigers have longer fangs than lions. The skulls of these two cats have been compared, and usually their canines are about the same.

    The lion DOES have an advantage though: courage. Lions are braver, and less likely to back down from a fight. There have been reports of tigers submitting to lions when they meet in reserves, so they can avoid injury. But if the lion refuses to leave the tiger alone, than the tiger is probably going to end up victorious. Within the Bengal tiger scientists found a most disturbing ferocity. When it comes to the decision to fight, this cat attacks violently, most often winning in any fight against a lion.

    In the end, the tiger's agility and accuracy comes out on top. 80% of experts agree that the tiger is the dominate cat. But not only National Geographic reporters say so. There are many polls on the internet where people can vote on who they think would win, and one can see that many more people bet on the tiger than the lion.

    Lean Princeton now

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by CuseDaddy:

    Great Stuff Woly.  A friend and I often joke about this same topic. 

    If a Badger and a Buckeye met in a dark ally.....  but what if the badger slips on the buckeye and is injured??

    Haha, always great fodder for conversation. Just got done talking to another buddy of mine and told him how I was making plays tonight based on our friends philosophy and he reminded me of the epic Buccaneer vs Raider argument for the '03 Super Bowl where our friend said the Buccanneers would win because they have ships and San Diego had a very large port, I shit you not. He put $500 on the ML and you know the rest...

    Update on Princeton Columbia: (thanks wiki answers)

    Both of these animals are powerful and fierce carnivores. But scientists say that in a fight between a Bengal tiger and an African lion, there is a 90% chance that the tiger will win.

    It is a well-known fact that tigers are the biggest cats in the world. Not only this, but tigers are noticeably more muscular, and better fighters. It is actually a myth that lions are better fighters than tigers, because tigers compete with each other for territory just as much as lions fight for a pride. Tigers also have experience fighting with many animals; Bengal tigers can easily kill large crocodiles and black bears, and Siberian tigers have been known to attack and kill huge adult brown bears. Tigers have been noticed as better fighters because they are more swift, agile, fierce, and have better eye-coordination. They have a stronger jaw force and paw-swipe. However, it is not true that tigers have longer fangs than lions. The skulls of these two cats have been compared, and usually their canines are about the same.

    The lion DOES have an advantage though: courage. Lions are braver, and less likely to back down from a fight. There have been reports of tigers submitting to lions when they meet in reserves, so they can avoid injury. But if the lion refuses to leave the tiger alone, than the tiger is probably going to end up victorious. Within the Bengal tiger scientists found a most disturbing ferocity. When it comes to the decision to fight, this cat attacks violently, most often winning in any fight against a lion.

    In the end, the tiger's agility and accuracy comes out on top. 80% of experts agree that the tiger is the dominate cat. But not only National Geographic reporters say so. There are many polls on the internet where people can vote on who they think would win, and one can see that many more people bet on the tiger than the lion.

    Lean Princeton now

     

     
    winnnachkndinna
    winnnachkndinna
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2011
    Posts: 109
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 5:38 PM ET #10

    will be tailing you 
    Reply
    will be tailing you 
     
    woolyfsu
    woolyfsu
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1195
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 5:50 PM ET #11

    Updated Play: Purple Eagle vs. Greyhound: This was a tough one to pull the trigger on, an eagle is american, badass, and can fly, but this one is purple which is kinda lame. The more I thought about greyhounds though the more I remember how shady they are when it comes to gambling, theyre just too unpredictable. They also remind me of the worst bus trip of my life. To top it off I found this picture and if a purple eagle can lift a mule, I think it can snatch up a greyhound when it stops running: https://e-soft-tech.com/images/logo/logo29.jpg

    Purple Eagle ov Greyhound: Niagra +11.5

    Bulldogs ov Crimson Pilgrims: Yale +12

    Brown Bear ov Big Green: Brown pk

    Red Foxes ov Peacocks: Marist +9.5

    Mountaineers ov Scrappy Mockingbirds: W. Car -9.5

    Big Red Bears ov Quakers: Cornell -2.5

    6 More to go: Tiger vs Lion, St Bernard vs Gael, Stag vs Jasper, Golden Griffin vs Bronco, Dolphin vs Buccaneer, Osprey vs Spartan

     

    Reply

    Updated Play: Purple Eagle vs. Greyhound: This was a tough one to pull the trigger on, an eagle is american, badass, and can fly, but this one is purple which is kinda lame. The more I thought about greyhounds though the more I remember how shady they are when it comes to gambling, theyre just too unpredictable. They also remind me of the worst bus trip of my life. To top it off I found this picture and if a purple eagle can lift a mule, I think it can snatch up a greyhound when it stops running: https://e-soft-tech.com/images/logo/logo29.jpg

    Purple Eagle ov Greyhound: Niagra +11.5

    Bulldogs ov Crimson Pilgrims: Yale +12

    Brown Bear ov Big Green: Brown pk

    Red Foxes ov Peacocks: Marist +9.5

    Mountaineers ov Scrappy Mockingbirds: W. Car -9.5

    Big Red Bears ov Quakers: Cornell -2.5

    6 More to go: Tiger vs Lion, St Bernard vs Gael, Stag vs Jasper, Golden Griffin vs Bronco, Dolphin vs Buccaneer, Osprey vs Spartan

     

     
    Getty3
    Getty3
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 25178
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 5:56 PM ET #12

    Are Western Carolina not the Catamounts ? They used to be. Maybe the name was changed because some kind of sexual innuendo with the original one.
    Reply
    Are Western Carolina not the Catamounts ? They used to be. Maybe the name was changed because some kind of sexual innuendo with the original one.
     
    tidefan07
    tidefan07
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2009
    Posts: 17329
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 5:57 PM ET #13

    LMAO.....I lIKE IT!!!!!!!! Not gonna play it that way but great thread!

    My wife played in a football pool with us one time and picked all her plays by team colors and helmets.....she finished second!!!!!!!!!
    Reply
    LMAO.....I lIKE IT!!!!!!!! Not gonna play it that way but great thread!

    My wife played in a football pool with us one time and picked all her plays by team colors and helmets.....she finished second!!!!!!!!!
     
    woolyfsu
    woolyfsu
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1195
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 6:02 PM ET #14

    Quote Originally Posted by Getty3:

    Are Western Carolina not the Catamounts ? They used to be. Maybe the name was changed because some kind of sexual innuendo with the original one.

    Good pick up! Dont know where I got Mountaineers from, guess I clicked on App St on accident. Have to re-evaluate now. Whats a Catamount anyway?

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Getty3:

    Are Western Carolina not the Catamounts ? They used to be. Maybe the name was changed because some kind of sexual innuendo with the original one.

    Good pick up! Dont know where I got Mountaineers from, guess I clicked on App St on accident. Have to re-evaluate now. Whats a Catamount anyway?

     
    woolyfsu
    woolyfsu
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1195
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 6:12 PM ET #15

    Catamount: https://www.catamountsports.com/genrel/011205aag.html

    Looks like its an oversized housecat and its purple as well. I'll let that color fly with an eagle, but I hate cats and the purple one in Alice in Wonderland was mean. Cats do like to eat birds though, but maybe the "Scrappy" Mocks are luring the Catamounts into thinking theyre ill. I'll take Scrappy anythings all day long. Hopefully the Catamounts are domesticated:

    Scrappy Mockingbirds ov Catamounts: UTC +9 (glad I made KP's system play earlier at +11, but for the $20 mascot challenge will take 9)

    Reply

    Catamount: https://www.catamountsports.com/genrel/011205aag.html

    Looks like its an oversized housecat and its purple as well. I'll let that color fly with an eagle, but I hate cats and the purple one in Alice in Wonderland was mean. Cats do like to eat birds though, but maybe the "Scrappy" Mocks are luring the Catamounts into thinking theyre ill. I'll take Scrappy anythings all day long. Hopefully the Catamounts are domesticated:

    Scrappy Mockingbirds ov Catamounts: UTC +9 (glad I made KP's system play earlier at +11, but for the $20 mascot challenge will take 9)

     
    MaineRoad
    MaineRoad
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2005
    Posts: 12254
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 6:17 PM ET #16

    When Siena madet the NCAA Tourney in 1989 (?), the NCAA asked them what their mascot was, and were told they didn't have one.  The NCAA made them get one, which turned out to be The Saints.  If I recall, their first (only?) game of the tourney was played in an empty gym because of a measels outbreak. 
    Reply
    When Siena madet the NCAA Tourney in 1989 (?), the NCAA asked them what their mascot was, and were told they didn't have one.  The NCAA made them get one, which turned out to be The Saints.  If I recall, their first (only?) game of the tourney was played in an empty gym because of a measels outbreak. 
     
    woolyfsu
    woolyfsu
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1195
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 6:48 PM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRoad:

    When Siena madet the NCAA Tourney in 1989 (?), the NCAA asked them what their mascot was, and were told they didn't have one.  The NCAA made them get one, which turned out to be The Saints.  If I recall, their first (only?) game of the tourney was played in an empty gym because of a measels outbreak. 

    You are correct, they were the Golden Hurricanes, Indians, and then settled on the Saints, now a St Bernard named "Bernie". This one has been the hardest one to pick cause the Gaels are pretty much just ancient speakers of Gaelic, so if I'm torn between two things I cant talk to I'm gonna take a dog cause it might save me snowboarding or help get me laid. I just hope they dont drag ass like Weekend at Bernies...

    Gotta run to a softball game (probably not the best idea with strep throat) but its been fun messing around with this all day. I will be interested to see how bad it goes when I get back.

    Final Card:

    Purple Eagle ov Greyhound: Niagra +11.5

    Bulldogs ov Crimson Pilgrims: Yale +12

    Brown Bear ov Big Green: Brown pk

    Red Foxes ov Peacocks: Marist +9.5

    Scrappy Mockingbirds ov Catamounts: UTC +9

    Big Red Bears ov Quakers: Cornell -2.5

    St Bernies ov Gaels: Siena +11.5

    Buccaneers ov Dolphins: E. Tenn St -5 (both teams far away from water, Dolphins cant breathe long enough)

    Jaspers ov Stags: Manhattan +11 (the Jasper guy brought sports to Mahattan college and invented the 7th inning stretch, thats more "staggy" than just a stag)

    Broncos ov Golden Griffins: Rider -7 (like I said earlier I think the gold weighs em down and draws  too much attention. plus I cant get the thought of Peter Griffin giving me a golden shower and thats the last thing anybody wants)

    Spartans ov Ospreys: USC Upsate +3 (looked at the mascot and they arent wearing too much body armor to wear them down, plus the guy has like a 12 pack and a sword)

    Lions ov Tigers: Col +3 (hardest one to call, the wiki answers had me sold on Tigers, but then I remember that movie Legend and that Lion dominated in the city. I will take Tigers in a rural setting, but in the jungle of NYC the Lion is King)

    Thanks for posting and glad ya'll enjoyed it. BOL to everyone on all their plays

     

     

     

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRoad:

    When Siena madet the NCAA Tourney in 1989 (?), the NCAA asked them what their mascot was, and were told they didn't have one.  The NCAA made them get one, which turned out to be The Saints.  If I recall, their first (only?) game of the tourney was played in an empty gym because of a measels outbreak. 

    You are correct, they were the Golden Hurricanes, Indians, and then settled on the Saints, now a St Bernard named "Bernie". This one has been the hardest one to pick cause the Gaels are pretty much just ancient speakers of Gaelic, so if I'm torn between two things I cant talk to I'm gonna take a dog cause it might save me snowboarding or help get me laid. I just hope they dont drag ass like Weekend at Bernies...

    Gotta run to a softball game (probably not the best idea with strep throat) but its been fun messing around with this all day. I will be interested to see how bad it goes when I get back.

    Final Card:

    Purple Eagle ov Greyhound: Niagra +11.5

    Bulldogs ov Crimson Pilgrims: Yale +12

    Brown Bear ov Big Green: Brown pk

    Red Foxes ov Peacocks: Marist +9.5

    Scrappy Mockingbirds ov Catamounts: UTC +9

    Big Red Bears ov Quakers: Cornell -2.5

    St Bernies ov Gaels: Siena +11.5

    Buccaneers ov Dolphins: E. Tenn St -5 (both teams far away from water, Dolphins cant breathe long enough)

    Jaspers ov Stags: Manhattan +11 (the Jasper guy brought sports to Mahattan college and invented the 7th inning stretch, thats more "staggy" than just a stag)

    Broncos ov Golden Griffins: Rider -7 (like I said earlier I think the gold weighs em down and draws  too much attention. plus I cant get the thought of Peter Griffin giving me a golden shower and thats the last thing anybody wants)

    Spartans ov Ospreys: USC Upsate +3 (looked at the mascot and they arent wearing too much body armor to wear them down, plus the guy has like a 12 pack and a sword)

    Lions ov Tigers: Col +3 (hardest one to call, the wiki answers had me sold on Tigers, but then I remember that movie Legend and that Lion dominated in the city. I will take Tigers in a rural setting, but in the jungle of NYC the Lion is King)

    Thanks for posting and glad ya'll enjoyed it. BOL to everyone on all their plays

     

     

     

     
     
    woolyfsu
    woolyfsu
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 1195
    Posted: Feb. 12, 2011 - 2:38 AM ET #18

    Just got home from my softball tourney and I'll be damned, 8-4 (up a whopping $72, but hell I was doing this as a joke) on the night picking mascots! Looks like a couple of those losses probably came pretty close to covering at the end. Too many games Sat to try and do this, but any night theres a shitty card I'm definitely gonna do this again. I really thought this would break even at best, but what a funny surprise to come home to.

    I should have listened to the wikianswers about Tigers vs Lions, as Princeton obviously malled the Lions and never saw a line but Grambling St are Tigers too and they beat the shit out of Prarieview. Should have taken the Griffin advice, I guess Peacocks are sneaky tough, and looks like the Spartans did get weighed down by their armor losing the 2H by 7.

    One thing I know for sure is that I'm getting an extra Tourney pool and picking based solely on mascots! Maybe my dumbass friend was on to something...

    Reply

    Just got home from my softball tourney and I'll be damned, 8-4 (up a whopping $72, but hell I was doing this as a joke) on the night picking mascots! Looks like a couple of those losses probably came pretty close to covering at the end. Too many games Sat to try and do this, but any night theres a shitty card I'm definitely gonna do this again. I really thought this would break even at best, but what a funny surprise to come home to.

    I should have listened to the wikianswers about Tigers vs Lions, as Princeton obviously malled the Lions and never saw a line but Grambling St are Tigers too and they beat the shit out of Prarieview. Should have taken the Griffin advice, I guess Peacocks are sneaky tough, and looks like the Spartans did get weighed down by their armor losing the 2H by 7.

    One thing I know for sure is that I'm getting an extra Tourney pool and picking based solely on mascots! Maybe my dumbass friend was on to something...

    All Forums | College Basketball

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,270
    • PART DEUX 219
    • Steelers vs Browns in-game live TNF 2,111
    • Cleveland Bettors 2,644
    • Thursday 10/01/2026 754
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 103,209
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 30,140
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 12,143
    • Happening just recently . . . 36,844
    • We have picked a terrible time to have the stupidest president ever 30,586

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.