• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Soccer

    Is Soccer Usually Chalk Until The End?

    slamspurs
    yorosan
    Seahawks14
    matt-e-matticle
    CrazyMilkMan
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 520
    Posts: 17
     
    slamspurs
    slamspurs
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2004
    Posts: 5717
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 1:14 AM ET #1

    Pardon my complete cluelessness when it comes to soccer. I've only bet it a few times in my life, mainly during late night degen sessions.

     

    I checked out the bracket, and it looks like all chalk so far as far as I can tell. I know Croatia was the favorite to advance today, and it was pickem in extra time, and they came through at the end.

     

    So it looks like if Spain and Portugal both win, it'll be a clean sweep for favorites in this round. Is this typical for the earlier rounds of the World Cup? Kinda like in Men's Tennis majors? 

     

    I'm looking into Switzerland as a "To Advance" play. But I'm weary about betting against some big name stars that I've actually heard of despite not knowing much about soccer. Soccer is the sport of the world, and this World Cup may be an even bigger business than any other sport out there.

    So I'm asking if upsets typically happen during these early rounds? Or does FIFA try to protect their stars for deep tournament runs?

     

    I'm asking because I don't think the world wants to see a team with Cristiano Ronaldo bow out of the World Cup so early. 

     

    Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    Pardon my complete cluelessness when it comes to soccer. I've only bet it a few times in my life, mainly during late night degen sessions.

     

    I checked out the bracket, and it looks like all chalk so far as far as I can tell. I know Croatia was the favorite to advance today, and it was pickem in extra time, and they came through at the end.

     

    So it looks like if Spain and Portugal both win, it'll be a clean sweep for favorites in this round. Is this typical for the earlier rounds of the World Cup? Kinda like in Men's Tennis majors? 

     

    I'm looking into Switzerland as a "To Advance" play. But I'm weary about betting against some big name stars that I've actually heard of despite not knowing much about soccer. Soccer is the sport of the world, and this World Cup may be an even bigger business than any other sport out there.

    So I'm asking if upsets typically happen during these early rounds? Or does FIFA try to protect their stars for deep tournament runs?

     

    I'm asking because I don't think the world wants to see a team with Cristiano Ronaldo bow out of the World Cup so early. 

     

    Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks

     
    yorosan
    yorosan
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2016
    Posts: 8201
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 1:20 AM ET #2

    Haha all sports have upsets, same as soccer

    Reply

    Haha all sports have upsets, same as soccer

     
    Seahawks14
    Seahawks14
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2020
    Posts: 9944
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 1:29 AM ET #3

    Croatia-.5 not cover

    Messi -1.5 not cover

     

    Reply

    Croatia-.5 not cover

    Messi -1.5 not cover

     

     
    matt-e-matticle
    matt-e-matticle
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2018
    Posts: 886
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 1:54 AM ET #4

    Excellent question and one that I was pondering myself.

     

    So here's what I found from the last 5 world cups...

    Firstly, for arguments sake we'll call any favourite priced at a handicap (asian) -0.25 as a semi favourite and more than -0.25 as a genuine favourite.  Pick'm or 0 handicap games I would consider open matchups that don't qualify as upsets.

    Second, I'm not sure if you are asking for the upset to happen in 90 minutes or including ET so I will distinguish between the two.

    2018 - Russia knocked out Spain on penalties as + 1 asian handicap (AH)
    2014 - All favourites advanced - 3 in extra time and 1 on penalties
    2010 - All favourites advanced - 1 on penalties
    2006 - France and Portugal both advanced as +0.25 AH.  All other favourites advanced - 1 in extra time
    2002 - Senegal advanced as +0.25 AH in extra time, USA advanced as +0.25 AH in 90 minutes and South Korea advanced as +0.5 AH in extra time

     

    Reply

    Excellent question and one that I was pondering myself.

     

    So here's what I found from the last 5 world cups...

    Firstly, for arguments sake we'll call any favourite priced at a handicap (asian) -0.25 as a semi favourite and more than -0.25 as a genuine favourite.  Pick'm or 0 handicap games I would consider open matchups that don't qualify as upsets.

    Second, I'm not sure if you are asking for the upset to happen in 90 minutes or including ET so I will distinguish between the two.

    2018 - Russia knocked out Spain on penalties as + 1 asian handicap (AH)
    2014 - All favourites advanced - 3 in extra time and 1 on penalties
    2010 - All favourites advanced - 1 on penalties
    2006 - France and Portugal both advanced as +0.25 AH.  All other favourites advanced - 1 in extra time
    2002 - Senegal advanced as +0.25 AH in extra time, USA advanced as +0.25 AH in 90 minutes and South Korea advanced as +0.5 AH in extra time

     

     
    slamspurs
    slamspurs
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2004
    Posts: 5717
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 1:56 AM ET #5

     

    Quote Originally Posted by yorosan:

    Haha all sports have upsets, same as soccer

     

    Yeah I know. I was just wondering if it's like tennis though, where you usually don't see the top guys go down prior to the quarters. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic were basically fixtures in the quarters for a decade. Federer made like 28 quarterfinals in a row. Nadal was a little shakier, but he made it most of the time. Djokovic like never loses early anymore. 

    So is it very likely to do a Brazil, Argentina, France, Spain semi-finals or something to that nature? 

    Reply

     

    Quote Originally Posted by yorosan:

    Haha all sports have upsets, same as soccer

     

    Yeah I know. I was just wondering if it's like tennis though, where you usually don't see the top guys go down prior to the quarters. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic were basically fixtures in the quarters for a decade. Federer made like 28 quarterfinals in a row. Nadal was a little shakier, but he made it most of the time. Djokovic like never loses early anymore. 

    So is it very likely to do a Brazil, Argentina, France, Spain semi-finals or something to that nature? 

     
    slamspurs
    slamspurs
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2004
    Posts: 5717
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 2:06 AM ET #6

    @matt-e-matticle

     Thanks. That's some really good info. I never bet the regulation lines. Betting is all about 2 possible outcomes typically, and it's 50/50 for the most part. Betting regulation only complicates things. 

    I'm not interested in betting Morocco at this point. Spain is a -400 to advance and nearly a 2-1 to advance in regulation. I try to avoid bets where the odds aren't at least near 1-1 because it's hard for me to read a line when you factor in plus odds like that.

     

    So you're telling me that all the lines have been surprisingly low for this round of the cup yet all the favorites have won so far? Seems kinda odd that it hasn't happened yet, and it would seem to me that one of them is due in that case. 

    I'll likely wait until after the Spain/Morocco match to make a final decision. And I'm seeing the line on Portugal moving up already.

    I might not know much about the sports, but I can read. And it appears that there's a lot of negativity towards GOAT Ronaldo right now. But he has so many fans that I would think that the sport of soccer wants him to advance as far as possible in this tournament. 

    Reply

    @matt-e-matticle

     Thanks. That's some really good info. I never bet the regulation lines. Betting is all about 2 possible outcomes typically, and it's 50/50 for the most part. Betting regulation only complicates things. 

    I'm not interested in betting Morocco at this point. Spain is a -400 to advance and nearly a 2-1 to advance in regulation. I try to avoid bets where the odds aren't at least near 1-1 because it's hard for me to read a line when you factor in plus odds like that.

     

    So you're telling me that all the lines have been surprisingly low for this round of the cup yet all the favorites have won so far? Seems kinda odd that it hasn't happened yet, and it would seem to me that one of them is due in that case. 

    I'll likely wait until after the Spain/Morocco match to make a final decision. And I'm seeing the line on Portugal moving up already.

    I might not know much about the sports, but I can read. And it appears that there's a lot of negativity towards GOAT Ronaldo right now. But he has so many fans that I would think that the sport of soccer wants him to advance as far as possible in this tournament. 

     
    slamspurs
    slamspurs
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2004
    Posts: 5717
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 2:09 AM ET #7

    Another note, since I don't know much about soccer, and I'm looking at everything.

     

    I'm showing Switzerland at 80-1 odds to win the cup at the moment. Portugal is 12-1. 

    So Portugal is basically like a Division Champ in the NFL that's good, but nobody really takes seriously as a real contender to win. (San Francisco 49ers are 12-1 at the moment, as are the Cincinnati Bengals surprisingly). The NY Giants are 85-1.

    I realize that the winner of this match will have to play Spain, and will more than likely lose. But 80-1 seems absurdly high for a team that supposedly has a good chance of making the last 8. 

    Reply

    Another note, since I don't know much about soccer, and I'm looking at everything.

     

    I'm showing Switzerland at 80-1 odds to win the cup at the moment. Portugal is 12-1. 

    So Portugal is basically like a Division Champ in the NFL that's good, but nobody really takes seriously as a real contender to win. (San Francisco 49ers are 12-1 at the moment, as are the Cincinnati Bengals surprisingly). The NY Giants are 85-1.

    I realize that the winner of this match will have to play Spain, and will more than likely lose. But 80-1 seems absurdly high for a team that supposedly has a good chance of making the last 8. 

     
    yorosan
    yorosan
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2016
    Posts: 8201
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 2:14 AM ET #8

    And also most people forgot this is the first time we have World Cup in November and most elite players in top form, and maybe that’s why the reason we haven’t seen much upsets in knockout stage

    Reply

    And also most people forgot this is the first time we have World Cup in November and most elite players in top form, and maybe that’s why the reason we haven’t seen much upsets in knockout stage

     
    slamspurs
    slamspurs
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2004
    Posts: 5717
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 2:22 AM ET #9

    I have one more question if someone can oblige.

     

    I saw this dude on twitter post WC picks on Saturday early AM. He's gotten every game correct so far, including at least 3 games where he's gotten the score exactly correct. (including 4-1 Brazil today). 

    He's calling for 1-1 draw in the first 90. If it were to go extra time/kicks, would it be a pickem game with Portugal and Switzerland, or would Portugal be a pretty big favorite? 

    I think I read someone say Switzerland tries to get a lead, then plays tough defense and tries to hold on. If it were to go to extras, I dunno if Switzerland is equiped to win in a shootout. 

    Reply

    I have one more question if someone can oblige.

     

    I saw this dude on twitter post WC picks on Saturday early AM. He's gotten every game correct so far, including at least 3 games where he's gotten the score exactly correct. (including 4-1 Brazil today). 

    He's calling for 1-1 draw in the first 90. If it were to go extra time/kicks, would it be a pickem game with Portugal and Switzerland, or would Portugal be a pretty big favorite? 

    I think I read someone say Switzerland tries to get a lead, then plays tough defense and tries to hold on. If it were to go to extras, I dunno if Switzerland is equiped to win in a shootout. 

     
    CrazyMilkMan
    CrazyMilkMan
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 25461
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 2:53 AM ET #10

    @slamspurs

     If it goes extra time depending on the possessions and total shots line can drop for Portugal to advance.

    Reply

    @slamspurs

     If it goes extra time depending on the possessions and total shots line can drop for Portugal to advance.

     
    matt-e-matticle
    matt-e-matticle
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2018
    Posts: 886
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 3:49 AM ET #11

    Quote Originally Posted by slamspurs:

    Another note, since I don't know much about soccer, and I'm looking at everything.   I'm showing Switzerland at 80-1 odds to win the cup at the moment. Portugal is 12-1.  So Portugal is basically like a Division Champ in the NFL that's good, but nobody really takes seriously as a real contender to win. (San Francisco 49ers are 12-1 at the moment, as are the Cincinnati Bengals surprisingly). The NY Giants are 85-1. I realize that the winner of this match will have to play Spain, and will more than likely lose. But 80-1 seems absurdly high for a team that supposedly has a good chance of making the last 8.

    Switzerland aren't winning the WC, save your money.  It would take too long to explain why they can't but ultimately it comes down to the quality of their players and their ability to control possession.   

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by slamspurs:

    Another note, since I don't know much about soccer, and I'm looking at everything.   I'm showing Switzerland at 80-1 odds to win the cup at the moment. Portugal is 12-1.  So Portugal is basically like a Division Champ in the NFL that's good, but nobody really takes seriously as a real contender to win. (San Francisco 49ers are 12-1 at the moment, as are the Cincinnati Bengals surprisingly). The NY Giants are 85-1. I realize that the winner of this match will have to play Spain, and will more than likely lose. But 80-1 seems absurdly high for a team that supposedly has a good chance of making the last 8.

    Switzerland aren't winning the WC, save your money.  It would take too long to explain why they can't but ultimately it comes down to the quality of their players and their ability to control possession.   

     
    matt-e-matticle
    matt-e-matticle
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2018
    Posts: 886
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 3:55 AM ET #12

    Quote Originally Posted by slamspurs:

    I have one more question if someone can oblige.   I saw this dude on twitter post WC picks on Saturday early AM. He's gotten every game correct so far, including at least 3 games where he's gotten the score exactly correct. (including 4-1 Brazil today).  He's calling for 1-1 draw in the first 90. If it were to go extra time/kicks, would it be a pickem game with Portugal and Switzerland, or would Portugal be a pretty big favorite?  I think I read someone say Switzerland tries to get a lead, then plays tough defense and tries to hold on. If it were to go to extras, I dunno if Switzerland is equiped to win in a shootout.

     

    I did a WC round of 16 post where I highlighted the value of a 1-1 draw in this round based on the last 5 WC's.  They've hit at a 30% clip which is pretty insane when they are priced to hit at about 14% on average.  So far I've hit 1 with the Japan v Croatia game and only need 1 more for profit otherwise I walk away just shy of breaking even.  It's a modest strategy with potential for big upside given 1 world cup had 4 1-1's from memory and I was confident we'd see at least 1.

    Portugal a very technically proficient team while the Swiss will be happy to let Portugal have more of the ball and hit on the counter - they are also less technically gifted.  I would expect that possession advantage to be reflect in their odds but I wouldn't say they'd be heavy favourites to win in extra time.  A shootout will only favour Portugal marginally give the quality of their penalty takers but they don't tend to favour anyone side so I would it expect it would only favour Portugal by a few points.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by slamspurs:

    I have one more question if someone can oblige.   I saw this dude on twitter post WC picks on Saturday early AM. He's gotten every game correct so far, including at least 3 games where he's gotten the score exactly correct. (including 4-1 Brazil today).  He's calling for 1-1 draw in the first 90. If it were to go extra time/kicks, would it be a pickem game with Portugal and Switzerland, or would Portugal be a pretty big favorite?  I think I read someone say Switzerland tries to get a lead, then plays tough defense and tries to hold on. If it were to go to extras, I dunno if Switzerland is equiped to win in a shootout.

     

    I did a WC round of 16 post where I highlighted the value of a 1-1 draw in this round based on the last 5 WC's.  They've hit at a 30% clip which is pretty insane when they are priced to hit at about 14% on average.  So far I've hit 1 with the Japan v Croatia game and only need 1 more for profit otherwise I walk away just shy of breaking even.  It's a modest strategy with potential for big upside given 1 world cup had 4 1-1's from memory and I was confident we'd see at least 1.

    Portugal a very technically proficient team while the Swiss will be happy to let Portugal have more of the ball and hit on the counter - they are also less technically gifted.  I would expect that possession advantage to be reflect in their odds but I wouldn't say they'd be heavy favourites to win in extra time.  A shootout will only favour Portugal marginally give the quality of their penalty takers but they don't tend to favour anyone side so I would it expect it would only favour Portugal by a few points.

     
    slamspurs
    slamspurs
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2004
    Posts: 5717
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 7:41 AM ET #13

    Quote Originally Posted by matt-e-matticle:

    Quote Originally Posted by slamspurs: Another note, since I don't know much about soccer, and I'm looking at everything.   I'm showing Switzerland at 80-1 odds to win the cup at the moment. Portugal is 12-1.  So Portugal is basically like a Division Champ in the NFL that's good, but nobody really takes seriously as a real contender to win. (San Francisco 49ers are 12-1 at the moment, as are the Cincinnati Bengals surprisingly). The NY Giants are 85-1. I realize that the winner of this match will have to play Spain, and will more than likely lose. But 80-1 seems absurdly high for a team that supposedly has a good chance of making the last 8. Switzerland aren't winning the WC, save your money.  It would take too long to explain why they can't but ultimately it comes down to the quality of their players and their ability to control possession.

     

    Thanks for your response. I wasn't implying that I wanted to bet Switzerland to win the WC, nor did I think they have any shot. The question was whether an 80-1 long shot even had any business being in a quarterfinal. Because once you reach there, if you can get hot and the stars align, there is a chance you could win. And I find it odd that even in this position, Switzerland who supposedly has a shot here is still paying 80-1. 

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by matt-e-matticle:

    Quote Originally Posted by slamspurs: Another note, since I don't know much about soccer, and I'm looking at everything.   I'm showing Switzerland at 80-1 odds to win the cup at the moment. Portugal is 12-1.  So Portugal is basically like a Division Champ in the NFL that's good, but nobody really takes seriously as a real contender to win. (San Francisco 49ers are 12-1 at the moment, as are the Cincinnati Bengals surprisingly). The NY Giants are 85-1. I realize that the winner of this match will have to play Spain, and will more than likely lose. But 80-1 seems absurdly high for a team that supposedly has a good chance of making the last 8. Switzerland aren't winning the WC, save your money.  It would take too long to explain why they can't but ultimately it comes down to the quality of their players and their ability to control possession.

     

    Thanks for your response. I wasn't implying that I wanted to bet Switzerland to win the WC, nor did I think they have any shot. The question was whether an 80-1 long shot even had any business being in a quarterfinal. Because once you reach there, if you can get hot and the stars align, there is a chance you could win. And I find it odd that even in this position, Switzerland who supposedly has a shot here is still paying 80-1. 

     
    Bleakhouse
    Bleakhouse
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2013
    Posts: 3255
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 8:07 AM ET #14

    This tournament played out with teams having quality against those that do not. Soccer at this level boils down to quality in the final third of the field (goal scoring area). 

    Look at USA- they had clear open chances to score but had no quality up top. Senegal same story. Could go on and on. 

    Reply

    This tournament played out with teams having quality against those that do not. Soccer at this level boils down to quality in the final third of the field (goal scoring area). 

    Look at USA- they had clear open chances to score but had no quality up top. Senegal same story. Could go on and on. 

     
    NutinButtLove
    NutinButtLove
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2018
    Posts: 4811
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 9:09 AM ET #15

    This man asking is it all favorites after 2 days of the 2nd round, directly after there was upsets galore in the 1st round.

    Just stick to the sports where the favorite is called the chalk bro

    Reply

    This man asking is it all favorites after 2 days of the 2nd round, directly after there was upsets galore in the 1st round.

    Just stick to the sports where the favorite is called the chalk bro

     
    mikebdb
    mikebdb
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2012
    Posts: 11785
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 9:12 AM ET #16

    Final is always big names though..wc is just for the elites to win unfortunatly 

    Reply

    Final is always big names though..wc is just for the elites to win unfortunatly 

     
     
    slamspurs
    slamspurs
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2004
    Posts: 5717
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2022 - 9:17 AM ET #17

    Well an unexpectedly bad morning losing on big chalk has caused me to play both of the games today.

     

    Spain ML -170

    Portugal/Switzerland DRAW +245

     

    Parlay both. 

    Spain winning in regulation seems like a decent value. 

    Portugal/Switzerland feels like a dramatic game to end the round.

    I think Switzerland may jump out to a lead and Portugal manages to even up.

    Leaves it up to a dramatic ending

    Reply

    Well an unexpectedly bad morning losing on big chalk has caused me to play both of the games today.

     

    Spain ML -170

    Portugal/Switzerland DRAW +245

     

    Parlay both. 

    Spain winning in regulation seems like a decent value. 

    Portugal/Switzerland feels like a dramatic game to end the round.

    I think Switzerland may jump out to a lead and Portugal manages to even up.

    Leaves it up to a dramatic ending

    All Forums | Soccer

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 457,430
    • Sunday 10/04/2026 690
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 104,361
    • ***Macwesties * Sun. Oct. 04, 2026 * Week #4 * NFL Football Plays*** 8,779
    • This Seattle Line Is Begging for a Discussion 2,828
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,515
    • Lions vs Panthers in game live SNF 1,887
    • __________ 📌 🏈 ?? Fubah's NFL 2026: Week 04 🚩🚩🚩🚩 13,325
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,316
    • KC/OAK live in game comments welcome 394

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.