• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Horse Racing

    Form W-2G

    12 Next Last»
    Kurshka
    bombcapper
    mikeyp1
    Robb52
    LooseOnTheLead
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3643
    Posts: 30
    12 Next Last»
     
    Kurshka
    Kurshka
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 19156
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 12:29 AM ET #1

    This sucks $6249 total for 2009. Got four of them. Any non believers pm your fax # to me. I will black out my ssn# and be happy to send.

    Already got one for 2010. This is not bragging. This just sucks.

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    This sucks $6249 total for 2009. Got four of them. Any non believers pm your fax # to me. I will black out my ssn# and be happy to send.

    Already got one for 2010. This is not bragging. This just sucks.

     
    Kurshka
    Kurshka
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 19156
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 1:25 AM ET #2

    Reply
     
    bombcapper
    bombcapper
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1179
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 7:44 AM ET #3

    K-  my CPA always advises me to show a loss equal to my W2-G's -- I have been doing it since 1999 and so far no problem-- i got audited one time in 2005 and they asked for a profit loss statement from all the gaming places I went to or had W2-g's from ---I got one from Harrah's that showed -2,000 and one from Isle of Capri in Miss that showed $1,000 and those helped me show the write off was legit-- i also did a statement on paper that showed my otb losses and atm reciepts-- they were cool with it all

    Im sure you can get some kind of profit loss statement with your online wagering platform and hopefully it shows you didnt profit much-- i know all casinos can give you one as long as you played with a players card

    Reply

    K-  my CPA always advises me to show a loss equal to my W2-G's -- I have been doing it since 1999 and so far no problem-- i got audited one time in 2005 and they asked for a profit loss statement from all the gaming places I went to or had W2-g's from ---I got one from Harrah's that showed -2,000 and one from Isle of Capri in Miss that showed $1,000 and those helped me show the write off was legit-- i also did a statement on paper that showed my otb losses and atm reciepts-- they were cool with it all

    Im sure you can get some kind of profit loss statement with your online wagering platform and hopefully it shows you didnt profit much-- i know all casinos can give you one as long as you played with a players card

     
    mikeyp1
    mikeyp1
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 13204
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 8:46 AM ET #4

    KURSCH:

    I won a bunch of dough one year and my accountant told me to hang on to every gambling dead ticket I can find, including lottery tickets, keno tickets, etc. Sure as shit, 4 years later the IRS audited me (for more than just the gambling stuff) and I had to produce my receipts showing losses.

    ALSO, you MUST have the racing form or program for the races that you bet on and lost. I have boxes of that shit in my closet becasue I usually end up with one or two decent signers every year, abd after ny last experience with the IRS, I decided to be safe rather than sorry.

    GL!

    Reply

    KURSCH:

    I won a bunch of dough one year and my accountant told me to hang on to every gambling dead ticket I can find, including lottery tickets, keno tickets, etc. Sure as shit, 4 years later the IRS audited me (for more than just the gambling stuff) and I had to produce my receipts showing losses.

    ALSO, you MUST have the racing form or program for the races that you bet on and lost. I have boxes of that shit in my closet becasue I usually end up with one or two decent signers every year, abd after ny last experience with the IRS, I decided to be safe rather than sorry.

    GL!

     
    Robb52
    Robb52
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 5232
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 9:09 AM ET #5

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyp1:

    KURSCH:

    I won a bunch of dough one year and my accountant told me to hang on to every gambling dead ticket I can find, including lottery tickets, keno tickets, etc. Sure as shit, 4 years later the IRS audited me (for more than just the gambling stuff) and I had to produce my receipts showing losses.

    ALSO, you MUST have the racing form or program for the races that you bet on and lost. I have boxes of that shit in my closet becasue I usually end up with one or two decent signers every year, abd after ny last experience with the IRS, I decided to be safe rather than sorry.

    GL!



    Do you really need a Racing form as well? That sucks for me, i just have the tickets....
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyp1:

    KURSCH:

    I won a bunch of dough one year and my accountant told me to hang on to every gambling dead ticket I can find, including lottery tickets, keno tickets, etc. Sure as shit, 4 years later the IRS audited me (for more than just the gambling stuff) and I had to produce my receipts showing losses.

    ALSO, you MUST have the racing form or program for the races that you bet on and lost. I have boxes of that shit in my closet becasue I usually end up with one or two decent signers every year, abd after ny last experience with the IRS, I decided to be safe rather than sorry.

    GL!



    Do you really need a Racing form as well? That sucks for me, i just have the tickets....
     
    LooseOnTheLead
    LooseOnTheLead
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 1345
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 9:31 AM ET #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Robb52:



    Do you really need a Racing form as well? That sucks for me, i just have the tickets....

    You just need tp provides some other materials that help prove you were actually gambling on that day. You dont want to show a floor sweep of dead otb tickets for one day and have that be your proof. Like Mikey said, save anything w/ the date on it and attach it to all dead tickets from that day and store it.Form cover page, scratch sheet, etc w/ that days losing tickets should be fine.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Robb52:



    Do you really need a Racing form as well? That sucks for me, i just have the tickets....

    You just need tp provides some other materials that help prove you were actually gambling on that day. You dont want to show a floor sweep of dead otb tickets for one day and have that be your proof. Like Mikey said, save anything w/ the date on it and attach it to all dead tickets from that day and store it.Form cover page, scratch sheet, etc w/ that days losing tickets should be fine.

     
    Kurshka
    Kurshka
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 19156
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 12:21 PM ET #7

    Thanks for the advice guys.


    Reply

    Thanks for the advice guys.


     
    Ap1Bfreetorun
    Ap1Bfreetorun
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2007
    Posts: 7205
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 1:51 PM ET #8

    I think they will accept a program for that day, not positive.  Or, you could get past performances from Brisnet, join one of their deals where you can get PP for about a buck (not sure) and use that.  I see guys carrying Brisnet PP into the track instead of using a form.
    Reply
    I think they will accept a program for that day, not positive.  Or, you could get past performances from Brisnet, join one of their deals where you can get PP for about a buck (not sure) and use that.  I see guys carrying Brisnet PP into the track instead of using a form.
     
    vetdrm
    vetdrm
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2003
    Posts: 14979
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 2:28 PM ET #9

    Was audited last year [same situation] wife called thee irs agent to tell her we have tickets to prove equal losses[ floor has all the losing tickets you need] as well and can send them a copy. Gal said no need, gamblers often lose more then they win and we will straighten it out for you no problem.
    If I have a signer at the track there are some retirees that well be more then happy to accommodate you for a nominal service fee usually a mere $50, Little troubling having them walk away with your winning ticket to cash it for you however.
    Gotta trust this person,and have a reference from a bartender or friend who knows the track clientele.
    Reply
    Was audited last year [same situation] wife called thee irs agent to tell her we have tickets to prove equal losses[ floor has all the losing tickets you need] as well and can send them a copy. Gal said no need, gamblers often lose more then they win and we will straighten it out for you no problem.
    If I have a signer at the track there are some retirees that well be more then happy to accommodate you for a nominal service fee usually a mere $50, Little troubling having them walk away with your winning ticket to cash it for you however.
    Gotta trust this person,and have a reference from a bartender or friend who knows the track clientele.
     
    DannoDanger
    DannoDanger
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2008
    Posts: 3554
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 2:57 PM ET #10

    If you show some big gambling wins, are you more likely to get audited?  I had some good luck last year, and I'm a little nervous about what my accountant is going to say to me.   
    Reply
    If you show some big gambling wins, are you more likely to get audited?  I had some good luck last year, and I'm a little nervous about what my accountant is going to say to me.   
     
    Kurshka
    Kurshka
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 19156
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 2:59 PM ET #11

    Quote Originally Posted by DannoDanger:

    If you show some big gambling wins, are you more likely to get audited?  I had some good luck last year, and I'm a little nervous about what my accountant is going to say to me.   

     

    This is my worry. Two years ago it was a couple thousand. And I did declare that I lost more but doubt I got any proof.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by DannoDanger:

    If you show some big gambling wins, are you more likely to get audited?  I had some good luck last year, and I'm a little nervous about what my accountant is going to say to me.   

     

    This is my worry. Two years ago it was a couple thousand. And I did declare that I lost more but doubt I got any proof.

     
    Kurshka
    Kurshka
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 19156
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 3:01 PM ET #12

    Danno at least you got an accountant. I use Turbo Tax. Not that many write offs other than the house and non working wife.
    Reply
    Danno at least you got an accountant. I use Turbo Tax. Not that many write offs other than the house and non working wife.
     
    Kurshka
    Kurshka
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 19156
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 3:04 PM ET #13

    Quote Originally Posted by vetdrm:

    Was audited last year [same situation] wife called thee irs agent to tell her we have tickets to prove equal losses[ floor has all the losing tickets you need] as well and can send them a copy. Gal said no need, gamblers often lose more then they win and we will straighten it out for you no problem.
    If I have a signer at the track there are some retirees that well be more then happy to accommodate you for a nominal service fee usually a mere $50, Little troubling having them walk away with your winning ticket to cash it for you however.
    Gotta trust this person,and have a reference from a bartender or friend who knows the track clientele.

     

     

    I never go to the track anymore. Not since Youbet.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by vetdrm:

    Was audited last year [same situation] wife called thee irs agent to tell her we have tickets to prove equal losses[ floor has all the losing tickets you need] as well and can send them a copy. Gal said no need, gamblers often lose more then they win and we will straighten it out for you no problem.
    If I have a signer at the track there are some retirees that well be more then happy to accommodate you for a nominal service fee usually a mere $50, Little troubling having them walk away with your winning ticket to cash it for you however.
    Gotta trust this person,and have a reference from a bartender or friend who knows the track clientele.

     

     

    I never go to the track anymore. Not since Youbet.

     
    DannoDanger
    DannoDanger
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2008
    Posts: 3554
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 3:07 PM ET #14

    My guy is pretty good, but this year his eyes are going to pop out of his head when he sees my W-2Gs.  

    I was at Monmouth for one of my big winners this year, and when I went to the window, the teller told me that he could get a '10% guy' to cash my ticket for me if I wanted (I said no). 

    Reply

    My guy is pretty good, but this year his eyes are going to pop out of his head when he sees my W-2Gs.  

    I was at Monmouth for one of my big winners this year, and when I went to the window, the teller told me that he could get a '10% guy' to cash my ticket for me if I wanted (I said no). 

     
    Kurshka
    Kurshka
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 19156
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 10:36 PM ET #15

    Bad news Danno. Even after adding my deduction = to my losings they still get you for the standerd 33%.

    Plus about 70% of my income is on commission (no I don`t sell cars, Medicare insuarnce) and they tax your commission at 50%. I made over 100k this year but I work my ass off, like 50-60 hour weeks. My last job paid 40k and I worked 30-40 weeks with a company car and made my own hours. Think I was better off at my last job. This just sucks. Man Danno if your claiming on yours you might end up having to pay. I claim zero and paid 21k to Federal, looks like I am getting back 3,800. Thats just sick.

    Reply

    Bad news Danno. Even after adding my deduction = to my losings they still get you for the standerd 33%.

    Plus about 70% of my income is on commission (no I don`t sell cars, Medicare insuarnce) and they tax your commission at 50%. I made over 100k this year but I work my ass off, like 50-60 hour weeks. My last job paid 40k and I worked 30-40 weeks with a company car and made my own hours. Think I was better off at my last job. This just sucks. Man Danno if your claiming on yours you might end up having to pay. I claim zero and paid 21k to Federal, looks like I am getting back 3,800. Thats just sick.

     
    Kurshka
    Kurshka
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 19156
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 11:28 PM ET #16

    No wait I was not done, thought I was. Added interest mortgage and getting back 6,000. BUT but paid 5k to State taxes and getting back 137 (had some form from 2008 that I think made this so low) but thanks Arnold . I need to move to Nevada, no State taxes.
    Reply
    No wait I was not done, thought I was. Added interest mortgage and getting back 6,000. BUT but paid 5k to State taxes and getting back 137 (had some form from 2008 that I think made this so low) but thanks Arnold . I need to move to Nevada, no State taxes.
     
    JOLO
    JOLO
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2010
    Posts: 128
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 11:32 PM ET #17

    Reply
     
    Kurshka
    Kurshka
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 19156
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 11:33 PM ET #18

    Oh forgot. Just got my jury duty letter. Have had four (served twice) but this is my second in two years.
    Reply
    Oh forgot. Just got my jury duty letter. Have had four (served twice) but this is my second in two years.
     
    Kurshka
    Kurshka
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 19156
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2010 - 11:35 PM ET #19

    Jolo get out of my thread kid. Hows that job I got you at Taco Bell working out.
    Reply
    Jolo get out of my thread kid. Hows that job I got you at Taco Bell working out.
     
    mikeyp1
    mikeyp1
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 13204
    Posted: Mar. 9, 2010 - 10:29 AM ET #20

    Quote Originally Posted by Robb52:



    Do you really need a Racing form as well? That sucks for me, i just have the tickets....

     

    Unless you have the program, or the form printed from an online source, and if the racing form is all you have, then they want it as back-up. When I got audited, I brought in an entire box of programs, forms and dead ducats. It's BS, but who is going to argue with the IRS?

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Robb52:



    Do you really need a Racing form as well? That sucks for me, i just have the tickets....

     

    Unless you have the program, or the form printed from an online source, and if the racing form is all you have, then they want it as back-up. When I got audited, I brought in an entire box of programs, forms and dead ducats. It's BS, but who is going to argue with the IRS?

     
    mikeyp1
    mikeyp1
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 13204
    Posted: Mar. 9, 2010 - 10:32 AM ET #21

    Quote Originally Posted by DannoDanger:

    If you show some big gambling wins, are you more likely to get audited?  I had some good luck last year, and I'm a little nervous about what my accountant is going to say to me.   

     

    I don't think so, unless you put some blatant, out of the blue winnings on your inocme tax statemnet. In my case, I won about $14,000 one year on signers and it was the first time.

     However, I was audited more for a dummass oil investment I made, and for the write-off I took against it, which happened to be in the same year that I won the $14K. So I think I was audited more for the investment than I was for the gambling winnings.

    That was in 1993 or 1994, and I have had signers every year since then, but never again audited.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by DannoDanger:

    If you show some big gambling wins, are you more likely to get audited?  I had some good luck last year, and I'm a little nervous about what my accountant is going to say to me.   

     

    I don't think so, unless you put some blatant, out of the blue winnings on your inocme tax statemnet. In my case, I won about $14,000 one year on signers and it was the first time.

     However, I was audited more for a dummass oil investment I made, and for the write-off I took against it, which happened to be in the same year that I won the $14K. So I think I was audited more for the investment than I was for the gambling winnings.

    That was in 1993 or 1994, and I have had signers every year since then, but never again audited.

     
    bombcapper
    bombcapper
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1179
    Posted: Mar. 9, 2010 - 10:59 AM ET #22

    even the irs understands gamblers lose more than they win- it is not a flag at all to show losses equal to winnings
    Reply
    even the irs understands gamblers lose more than they win- it is not a flag at all to show losses equal to winnings
     
    spliquid
    spliquid
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2006
    Posts: 3454
    Posted: Mar. 9, 2010 - 12:07 PM ET #23

    I started using Youbet this year.  Kurshka are the account statements enough to prove your losses because it basically shows every bet you make, or should I be printing out the PP's i get each day that show the date?
    Reply
    I started using Youbet this year.  Kurshka are the account statements enough to prove your losses because it basically shows every bet you make, or should I be printing out the PP's i get each day that show the date?
     
    mikeyp1
    mikeyp1
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 13204
    Posted: Mar. 9, 2010 - 12:27 PM ET #24

    Quote Originally Posted by spliquid:

    I started using Youbet this year.  Kurshka are the account statements enough to prove your losses because it basically shows every bet you make, or should I be printing out the PP's i get each day that show the date?

     

    SPLIQ....I heard an ad on XM243 over the weekend for YouBet, which now will provide you with every bet you have ever made,inluding winnings and losses, to use for your taxes. It also whows a history of your betting patterns so maybe you would look at it and do something different, if need be.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by spliquid:

    I started using Youbet this year.  Kurshka are the account statements enough to prove your losses because it basically shows every bet you make, or should I be printing out the PP's i get each day that show the date?

     

    SPLIQ....I heard an ad on XM243 over the weekend for YouBet, which now will provide you with every bet you have ever made,inluding winnings and losses, to use for your taxes. It also whows a history of your betting patterns so maybe you would look at it and do something different, if need be.

     
     
    spliquid
    spliquid
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2006
    Posts: 3454
    Posted: Mar. 9, 2010 - 12:39 PM ET #25

    Thanks Mikey for the info.  I think I know what you are talking about, seems like that would be enough if the IRS comes a knockin.   I started looking at those numbers the other day, really shows you what you're good at and what you're not.  
    Reply
    Thanks Mikey for the info.  I think I know what you are talking about, seems like that would be enough if the IRS comes a knockin.   I started looking at those numbers the other day, really shows you what you're good at and what you're not.  
    All Forums | Horse Racing
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,383
    • Friday 10/02/2026 911
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 266,536
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,278
    • PART DEUX 294
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 31,469
    • Trump's legacy? 32,966
    • Delaware QB Nick Minicucci 4,591
    • **$$$ MD Friday 10/2 $$$** 5,994
    • NCAA WEEK 5 ***Mission Impossible: Fade me and win *** 6,260

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.